All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
562 Sutter St, San Francisco, CA, 94102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Managing Director"
Was in town for a large healthcare/financial conference. The hotel is perfectly located as the conference was in Union Square. It was clean and quaint and -- best of all -- quiet! I have reserved my room for next year already.
2 night business trip Jan 11, 2015
blair
"Nice little hotel!"
The wife and I were looking for a place close to Union Square and we found it here. It was about a minute walk to the middle of Union Square. The staff at the hotel was great. They were all very nice and pleasant to deal with. The rooms were a bit small but had a comfy bed and that's all we needed for our one night getaway. We stayed on the street side and while some reviewers on here complained about the noise we didn't wake up once in the night.
Other trip Jan 9, 2015
"Great little place"
This place is fantastic for the price. The staff is great, and it's situated very close to Union Square. Rooms are clean (bathroom could use a little updating) but overall, a very comfortable stay. I will definitely stay here again, however, will request a room away from the street. The bar next door empties out at 2:00am, and the people hang out in front screaming for at least an hour. Seriously sounds like a frat party!
2 night romance trip Jan 2, 2015
"Satisfied"
A bit small, but very cozy- I have absolutely no complaints.
2 night romance trip Jan 1, 2015
Sheilla
"Compact"
The room was much smaller than I imagined, but that was because the bathroom was almost as big as the bedroom with way too much extra space. Bad floor plan. But the room was clean, sheets a little old and worn, and very nice for a solo trip. Definitely not enough room in a single queen for two people.
2 night trip Jan 1, 2015
Nathan
I stayed here with my daughter to share a great night of comedy with Joel McHale at Cobb's Comedy Club. The hotel location is super convenient and the room was lovely and comfortable. We were really only there for sleeping, so not much more to say.
Other trip Jan 5, 2015
"Comfortable stay"
Front desk and valet personnel were personal and engaging. Room was small but very quite, as we asked for a room in the center of this very old hotel. Room was very clean but could use some maintenance. Bed and linens were very comfortable. TV interface is difficult to use.
1 night romance trip Jan 2, 2015
Ken
Staff was super accommodating and the hotel was beautiful. Right in the middle of Union Square and walking distance to tons of attractions that SF has to offer. Would definitely recommend.
2 night romance trip Dec 28, 2014
Simon
"Delightful hotel and great staff"
for those commenting on the small, dark rooms, they must not be familiar with older "city" hotels.....Hotel Rex is in an older building, but they have made the hotel a delightful place to stay. Our room was large enough, most important - clean, plenty of lighting, excellent location, with a friendly staff.
2 night trip with friends Jan 1, 2015
"Great value next to union square."
The staff was wonderful, pleasant and not autocratic. It was a refreshing change from the staff at other branded hotels I've stayed at. Our room wasn't ready at check in but other than that couldn't complain. Free coffee and wine in the library study was a very nice plus. The hotel was right off the cable car line and the Powell street Bart station. The hotel facilities were older but that was due to the hotel buliding being an older one. It really was a charming hotel but it was the staff that made all the difference.
Other trip Jan 4, 2015
Adrian
Right at the Union square, an excellent hotel. Very clean, friendly staff. Our stay was very pleasant. We will definitely be back. Please make sure you do not book a room when we are planning to visit so that we can find a room :))
2 night family trip Dec 28, 2014
Inanc
"Last minute stay"
There for New Years eve. Booked it last minute and got a good rate through Hotels.com. The room was a bit small but had everything we needed except A/C and comfortable pillows. It was super close to the venue we were attending and the service was exceptionally nice. Everyone from the check in desk to the bar to the bell boy was superb. Overall good experience.
1 night romance trip Dec 31, 2014
VERONICAM
"Highly recommend this classic hotel"
Great Union Square location, classic hotel, friendly and helpful staff, clean comfortable room. Highly recommend this hotel.
3 night romance trip Dec 28, 2014
"Good boutique hotel"
Great, convenient location. Room is extremely small, but if you are just sleeping over & not planning to hang out in your room, it's adequate. Hotel has a lot of history & charm. Excellent staff, very friendly. However, they should pass out flyers or something to the hotel guests about their additional perks like "movie night". They had some events that we would have participated in had there been reminders or notices. I would stay there for a quick layover but not for more than a day or two. Room is too cramped.
3 night romance trip Dec 27, 2014
"great hotel"
wonderful
1 night romance trip Dec 24, 2014
Very good! But I can hear some unusual noise in the room.
Other trip Dec 30, 2014
"Excellent hotel"
Awesome
3 night romance trip Dec 24, 2014
Rajesh
"Great staff , cozy, charming"
Great staff, charming hotel, walking distance to union square, rooms are small but clean ... Very artsy
Other trip Dec 29, 2014
"Nice old-fashioned hotel, in a good area of SF !!!"
We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Rex, the staff were nice, the rooms were a bit small, but that is SF for you anyway but overall, I give them a solid B+ !
Other trip Dec 29, 2014
Alex
"Hotel Rex"
Friendly staff, clean room, cozy lobby area with a great book inventory in a convenient location.
1 night family trip Dec 22, 2014
"Overall good experience - would stay here again!"
Overall good stay, although I didn't spend much time in the hotel so I can't comment on things like service, bar, food, etc. Pros: Nice location near Union Square, within walking distance of retail and restaurants. Room was clean and quiet. They had a very cute Christmas tree made from books in the lobby! Con: My room was on the 6th floor and was very hot despite the outside temperature being in the 50s to low 60s; I had to keep the A/C on whenever I was in the room. Also, parking in the area can get expensive so take note of that. I parked at Prestige parking just around the corner for $34/day, and they offer in and out privileges.
1 night business trip Dec 22, 2014
"Romantic book lover hotel"
Perfect hotel for a romantic getaway in San Francisco.
1 night romance trip Dec 24, 2014
Marion
"Friendly Staff made us feel Like VIPs..."
We were warmly welcomed by all the staff; they made us feel like VIP's. My husband and I will stay here again, but will make sure we ask more questions next time. Parking is $47 a night. did not find out until it appeared on my bank statement the day after we checked out; if you are a light sleeper, make sure you ask for a room not facing the street; our room faced the sun so it was like an oven in the afternoon and warm that night. But it is still very charming and we loved the literary theme. As I stated, the staff is very nice and despite the miscommunication in the parking, we will stay here again.
Other trip Dec 24, 2014
Evelyn
"The 5th floor view (or not)"
If you longing to your 6th grad camp days that is the place to stay! You'll have plastic shower curtains , melamine covered bath walls, mid century soap holders, window frame with 26 layers of oil paint applied by an amateur painters, mid century carpet, $7 water bottle etc etc.....the location is great but the area is dotted with many great location hotels, short handed stuff but very friendly. The place needed to be renovated years ago. It is presented as a shabby chick but there is nothing chick about this place it is mostly shabby. if you get a room for $49.99 you should consider it otherwise......
2 night trip with friends Dec 20, 2014
Moshe
"Good location, nice staff, but not great"
This is a nice hotel, but some things detracted from the experience: 1. light bulbs that didn't work 2. tv remote with dead battery 3. broken elevator 4. if you post the "green" card outside the door (meaning don't change linens etc.), the staff don't make the bed, empty the trash or anything. Food trash, etc. were left from the day before. I travel a lot and have never seen this policy in any hotel - it makes no sense. Taking out the trash and tidying up is not a matter of "greenness", it is basic sanitation.
Other trip Dec 20, 2014
"Nice hotel, except some staff"
Small but charming room. Less than comfortable bathroom, but thats pretty normal for the older buildings in the heart of SF. My only complaint is the lack of after-hours staff availability and professionalism. A bartender was incredibly rude to me, and when I asked to speak to a manager, they said there was none available. They eventually called the manager to have him speak with me, but after the front desk clerk hung up the phone, he said that the manager didn't want to talk with me. How can you not have any sort of management available after 5pm? Not even via a 1-800 number?
Other trip Dec 17, 2014
"Holiday Getaway"
Perfect location for holiday weekend, that is close to shopping, restaurants, and nite life. Accomodations were great, with friday nite jazz combo playing in the lobby bar. Rooms are a little small, but cozy and very comfortable. Staff were very customer friendly and helpful. Our trip was worth staying here, and we will return.
Other trip Dec 15, 2014
"Great Value"
Great value for money in Union Square. Our room faced the street so we heard trucks and done construction noise. Still s great place.
1 night romance trip Dec 4, 2014
Danny
"Very nice hotel at a great location!"
Highly recommend! Our room was clean and comfortable. The design of the boutique hotel creates a warm feeling and very conveniently located near union square. There's complimentary drinks for hotel guests too, great for taking a quick break!
Other trip Dec 6, 2014
Stell
"Excellent location and appealing experience."
Excellent location and appealing experience and aura. Bar/lounge enhance overall atmosphere.
Other trip Dec 5, 2014
Gerard
"Small and quaint"
Hotel stay was great small and quiet. Highly reccomend to solo/couple stays. Only issue was midnight woken up by toilet noise .Probably due to old plumbing of building.
1 night romance trip Nov 29, 2014
Vamessa
"A week-end in SF"
Nice position close to Union square and shopping. I stay there quite well and personnel have been kind and available.
Other trip Dec 5, 2014
Angelo
"Lovely service"
The best part was the service! Every person was lovely, accommodating, aiming to please and be helpful. Great location off but near Union Sq.
1 night trip Nov 29, 2014
Rachel
"Love this Gem"
This hotel was exactly the way as described on their web site and previous customer reviews. It's no frills, but very comfortable and CLEAN. Definitely a boutique-y, artsy feel. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. If you're looking for the amenities you'd normally find in a 4-star hotel, you won't get them here. But, I felt comfortable, safe, and at home here, which is very important for a female traveling alone. I will definitely stay here again. Great price and great location!
3 night family trip Nov 29, 2014
"Highly recommended"
Staff was polite and professional at all times. All my questions were answered and were acurate upon arrival. Thank you for the pleasent stay, I will be staying here on my next visit
Other trip Dec 2, 2014
"Nice place and location; needs an update"
We were going downtown for a staycation for a night over the Thanksgiving holiday. We love the Rex and its Library Bar and nicely designed rooms and art. Very comfortable bed! However, there was a water leak coming from the floor above into our shower. And the music could have been better in the bar. Otherwise, loved the stay!
1 night romance trip Nov 28, 2014
"Nice old school boutique hotel"
I stayed here for 3 nights while in SF on business recently. Very friendly and helpful front desk and maid service. I really enjoyed evening cocktails in the hotel bar. The bartender was a class act and very friendly and fun to talk to. Room was on the 7th floor facing the street at my request. Hotel is older so don't expect state of the art anything other than the flat screen TV. I loved it. Lots of charm!
Other trip Nov 25, 2014
"Fun in San Francisco"
Great Hotel, Great location.
1 night trip Nov 14, 2014
Barry
"Great Boutique Hotel close to Union Square"
Wonderful decor, service impeccable. Food very tasty, small menu but awesome. Rooms very nice for city boutique hotel. Within walking distance of nearly everything! Hotel management sent a bottle of wine to out room!
LAN 60
"Quick overnight getaway"
My wife and I planned a quick overnight getaway to the city and wanted to stay close to Union Square but something less mainstream. We had a wonderful time at Hotel Rex. Great vibe to the hotel and the staff was awesome. Everyone we talked with was very friendly, accommodating, and on point. The downstairs common area is set up like an old reading room and wine, live music, and comfortable chairs were happening Friday night. The room was small but suitable, very clean, well maintained, and great for one evening. Location of the hotel is great being two blocks from Union Square but far enough away to avoid the massive weekend crowds. It's close to shopping and fun dining (Lori's Diner). Starbucks is on the corner. My wife and I both thought that because of the hotel's vibe and friendly staff, the overall atmosphere was great, including other guests.
Other trip Nov 19, 2014
Ryan
"Hippy chic"
Artsy. Old. Small room. Window AC had no control except unplugging it. Close to bus, etc. Wouldn't go again.
Other trip Nov 18, 2014
"Worth much more than its price"
It was an impromptu overnight date for me and my wife. Chose hotel due to price, proximity to Union Square, and it looked cool. But once we got there we immed knew we made the perfect choice. Chris at the front desk was eager to get us checked right in, and was very friendly and very fast. We were delighted that they offered free wine at their bar until 6pm and we took advantage of that. And great parmesan fries by the way. The entire hotel and our room especially made you feel like it was a newly built hotel but 80 years ago. So many historic touches but everything was new and clean. The bed was super comfortable.
1 night romance trip Nov 14, 2014
Barry
"Hotel Rex...great job"
The hotel was excellent...great location, good restaurant for breakfast. Jeff, who was behind the reception desk was terrific, going the extra mile to accommodate our requests. Monday night they showed an old film noir in the lobby/bar area which was delightful. All in all, a wonderful stay.
5 night romance trip Oct 27, 2014
Andrea
"A real find"
Charming and you cannot beat the price for the location. You're two blocks from Sanraku (best Japanese food in walking distance) and four blocks from Union Square. It's a treasure.
3 night trip Oct 6, 2014
"Central location"
A Fine place to stay in a very expensive town. The bathroom was quite small and makeup and shaving gear had to be shuffled around. And they had no ice machine in the entire hotel. Had to order from room service! Not easy to make a quick drink before going out!
Other trip Oct 11, 2014
Janis
"Great atmosphere !"
I have stayed at the REX many times in the past few years , being born and raised in san francisco you tend to forget what great hotels the city has to offer , and staying at the REX reminds me of what a great city I can proudly say I am from .
1 night trip Sep 26, 2014
J.M.B
"Great vibe"
I have stayed here many times over the years. It's a great location and exudes San Francisco Old World charm. Wonderful eclectic furnishings but it's time to recover or replace.
Other trip Sep 15, 2014
"Disappointing"
We had hoped for better but, not having been in SF for a while, had not realize how the neighborhood had changed. For what we had planned, opera and the symphony, it was absolutely in the wrong part of town, in terms of public transit. I could not understand why, on the second day, hotel service staff changed our pillows from firmer, large pillows to smaller, soft ones, having not requested change of linens. The refrigerator never locked properly and the amenities were minimal. The bathroom was very strange, from the standpoint of lighting, making it most difficult to shave. The desk staff were most pleasant and helpful, however, which keep this review from being just 2 stars.
3 night trip Sep 8, 2014
Excellent location just off Powell Street and near Union Square. Good sized room. Clean. Ask for a room in the back to avoid any street noise. We did and the room was very quiet. Front desk provided helpful info about things to see and do as well as nearby restaurants. Lots of good restaurants nearby. Hotels includes a glass of wine at their Library Bar between 5-6pm. You can also get a $5 coupon per day that can be used at the Library Bar in the evening if you forego daily maid service. We did and it worked out well and used the $$ to order an excellent bread pudding desert and a glass of wine after returning from dinner at a nearby restaurant. Would stay there again on our next trip.
3 night trip Sep 6, 2014
T.O.
"Disappointing"
Dirty hotel, my bed seemed to be with the same sheets used by the previous guest. Noisy neighborhood. The shower leaked water everywhere. It did not worth paying a little less ...
3 night trip Aug 29, 2014