All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
562 Sutter St, San Francisco, CA, 94102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

• Bar
    Bar is awesome
    Awesome vibe
    Room is all right
  • Wellness
    Poor wellness & sports facilities
"Laid back place"
Terrific - we've stayed there from the year they opened whenever we're in San Francisco - we may move the median age up a bit when we go, but they don't seem to mind. Beatiful people!
2 night romance trip Jul 17, 2015
"Well Priced and in the heart of the city"
This is a nice hotel option - well priced, perfectly located a few blocks from Union Square, easy to get a cab. The hotel staff are genuinely friendly people - welcoming and accommodating. I will stay at Hotel Rex again.
Other trip Jul 19, 2015
"good location but...."
Good location and clean hotel. But some of hotel staff wasn't nice. I asked how to go fisherman's warf and he said take the cable car or bus. I KNOW THAT. But from where? He wasn't that informative, no smile, and I wasn't comfortable to ask more question. Not good for international visitor.. Not that friendly hotel as mentioned in review.
Other trip Jul 18, 2015
happy
A little pricey for what you get but that's San Francisco. Room was clean the employees were super nice and helped with restaurant suggestions, getting our rental car quickly every time and the location is convenient to Union Square, Chinatown and Financial District.
4 night family trip Jul 11, 2015
Kenneth
"Pleasant retreat near Union Square"
A quiet, small hotel near Union Square - just far enough away from all the noise, but a short walk to everything. Very friendly staff, a great wine hour and good food in the bar.
4 night business trip Jul 5, 2015
Lovely, clean hotel with pleasant and helpful staff.
Other trip Jul 3, 2015
"would stay again"
Spacious room, no view. Fun,Eclectic decor. No thermostat, room was warm at night. Bed was moderately comfy. Complimentary glass of wine in downstairs bar was a nice touch. Would stay here again.
2 night business trip Jun 28, 2015
michelle
"Great vacation"
The staff were very nice and helpful. The neighborhood was in the heart of Union Square which was close to so many great restaurants and transportation. The hotel room was dated but very clean. The hallways also didn't have much air circulation and only window air condition units in the room. These negative factors would not stop me from staying here again or recommending the hotel to friends and family.
7 night trip with friends Jun 20, 2015
"Nice hotel with some foibles"
Overall my experience staying at this hotel was good. Its was clean, the rooms had character, and it was a comfortable place to stay. I did take issue with the fact that the toilet seat did not stay up in my room however. It was pretty annoying and would make me think twice about staying there again.
Other trip Jun 22, 2015
Rob
"Nice downtown hotel with unique charm."
Awesome hotel. The staff was amazing, especially Jeff at the front desk who was extra helpful. The rooms are clean and quaint. If you plan on sitting in your room 26 hours a day, it might feel a little small. But if you want a comfortable place to sleep and be close to everything, this place is it.
Other trip Jun 21, 2015
Sean
"Great boutique hotel"
This hotel was a beautiful, quirky little gem. It has a lending library , a wine hour and wonderful old world attention to detail. The location, within a block of the Powell Street cable car, was extremely convenient. Will definitely go back if I am in San Francisco.
1 night romance trip Jun 14, 2015
"I recommend the hotel"
The hotel is well located. The personnel is very polite and kind
2 night romance trip Jun 11, 2015
Tulio
"Wonderful staff"
The staff at this hotel are great! Everyone, from front desk to cleaning lady are super friendly. The rooms are a little small. But I think that's how it is in the San fran area. :). The hotel is clean. Very close to union square, Bart station, and cable cars. Free wifi. Would def stay here again.
Other trip Jun 10, 2015
Jo
"Cozy place near Union Square"
Great hotel--beautiful design, with the room areas based mainly on the photos and drawings of Man Ray. The elevator is decorated in old pages of the San Francisco social register; the Library Bar is cozy and comfy and looks like a library you'd like to spend a lot of time in. Friendly staff. Close to cable cars and 10-minute walk to BART. DOWNSIDE: VERY noisy on Saturday night due to the proximity of clubs on the block. Music, drunks in the street, motorcycles--it all goes on till about 3 am. We were on the 4th floor and it was pretty bad; can't imagine it would be any better two floors up. But I guess that's the trade off for being close to Union Square.
3 night romance trip May 29, 2015
"i may be wrong give it a try"
i cannot say i enjoyed my stay at this hotel it was not very clean,and the staff were not the best.
2 night romance trip May 24, 2015
"Clean, Convenient, but Overpriced"
Great location, but old hotel, little-to-no "welcome" area. I think redoing the entry way to be a little more inviting would do this place a lot of good. Staff was ok - nothing above and beyond. My mom did go down to their Happy Hour which you get a free glass of wine at - so that's a perk. No gym or hot tub, but they partner with a gym a block away and for $15 you can use their facilities. Part of it is just the area of town, but for almost $300 a night, I had a view of a brick wall and wasn't greeted every time I walked in the building. Can't beat the location - we shopped in Union Square and even walked (young and active group of girls) down to Fisherman's Warf, through China Town, Little Italy, etc. Bring your walking shoes and enjoy the city!
1 night trip with friends May 17, 2015
Brooke
"Recent business Trip"
I really enjoyed my stay and would stay here again. They need a bit more help retrieiving cars from valet though...I waited almost 30 mins to get my car.
3 night business trip May 17, 2015
"Three Night Stay"
Enjoyed our brief stay, but wished the housekeepers were more timely with cleaning the room. We requested for room to be cleaned when we were out of the hotel. Returned at 1:00pm and room had not been cleaned. Front desk staff were very helpful, and provided us a quiet room from late night check-in.
3 night romance trip May 14, 2015
Sara
"Birthday vacation"
We had a wonderful stay at Hotel Rex. The staff were helpful and polite and nothing was too much for them.As it's on a busy street it was a bit noisy at night but the room was clean,spacious and comfortable. We would definitely stay there again.
7 night romance trip May 9, 2015
Julia
"monthly SF trips, Wish I'd found sooner, A+"
I was really blown away by this jewel, especially how the age and history are so well blended with a modern, classy and well kept feel. I could go on and on so instead I will list my highlights Large room and bathroom in general (Huge for a boutique hotel in the city) Nice funky but very classy décor, not exhaustive with color, but artistic and warm Nice bar and vibe great shower Bed was super lux and comfortable Sizable wardrobe that made it where I did not miss a closet at all Desk was large and great to work at, while hiding a tiny mini fridge with class. my window opened to a green space behind the hotel that was fabulous One of the neighbors was a wonderful violinist that could only be heard when I did have the window open TOTAL BONUS Also, the location was great for me, perfectly located to traverse the city and close enough to really good eats and really great coffee. I gave a 4 on condition only because it's a very old (well maintained) building, so the elevator is a smidge slow, the floor has dips here and there, but this hotel is a lovely place to stay, absolutely spacious and beautifully appointed and staffed.
1 night business trip May 13, 2015
"My Stay at the Rex"
I've stayed at the Rex before. My main complaint is that the room temperature was set at 68 degrees F and could not be changed. It was a bit chilly. Service was friendly, and location is quite good considering convenience to bus routes, BART, the Muni etc. I lost a pair of sun glasses in a case in my room and am awaiting a call whether the case has been found. Breakfast was good, but I prefer Lori's on the corner. GO provides very good service at the entrance of the hotel to SFO. Overall I rate this hotel above average.
5 night trip May 7, 2015
"Loved Hotel Rex!"
The location of this hotel is great, centrally located for transit and walking. The hotel itself had tiny rooms, but they were clean and just enough for two. The neighborhood is great, just be leery of walking a few too many blocks in the wrong direction, lest you end up in the Tenderloin. Eek. The fire alarm went off twice our first night due to a malfunction, but they fixed it and we had no issues the rest of the trip. Loved Hotel Rex!
4 night romance trip May 5, 2015
Jamie
"Older hotel in need of maintenance"
My wife is in a wheelchair, so I called before making the reservation to confirm that the "Queen Accessible" room was specifically wheelchair accessible and was told that it was definitely wheelchair accessible. When we entered our 3rd floor room, there was just enough room for her to maneuver her chair in the room and the bathroom was generously sized, but the sink was toward the back of the counter instead of toward the front, so she could not reach the faucet. Additionally, while the tub had a handheld showerhead, the controls were above her head. There was no way for her to use the tub since she is in a wheelchair. i.e. no shower chair for her to transfer into the tub. While the the front desk staff were very friendly, they were unable to help us or locate a shower chair. The room did have a refrigerator (which was not turned on), but did not have a coffee maker or hot water dispenser. Finally, on the last night of our stay, the fire alarm went off at 4 in the morning (these things happen, we understand), but when we went to wait in the 3rd floor stairwell for the firefighters to help her down the stairs, I noticed the fire door had not automatically closed shut, I had to lean on the door and eventually I had to slam it in order for it to close all the way. If there had been smoke on the 3rd floor, it would have filled the stairwell, preventing people on the floors above from using it as an escape route.
2 night romance trip May 1, 2015
Warren
"SanfranciscaRex"
Window opened in room, would not stay open without rigging a prop. Wonderful staff and charming restaurant. Great bar and service! Street noise can be a little excessive. Great location.
2 night business trip Mar 30, 2015
Jeffrey
"decent hotel"
decent boutique hotel. Don't like how the bed is right by the door and you can hear everything outside in the hallway. But hey, it's san fran where hampton inn goes for $600 a night on some days, so whatevs.
4 night business trip Apr 26, 2015
Leonid
"Great smaller hotel downtown SF"
Great small hotel, located downtown. Older building but renovated. Cosy room with all the little extras. Great wine hour at night. Helpful staff.
2 night business trip Apr 6, 2015
Griet
The Rex Hotel is a very nice hotel if you like something quaint with a historic feel. It was very close to good shopping, Nob Hill and Chinatown. The staff were very nice and i would stay there anytime. It is a safe location within 1 block of cable cars and public transportation.
Other trip Apr 30, 2015
"Rex is good for a night"
The hotel was perfectly situated near great restaurants and other attractions. Minuscule room size and not so comfy bed but good shower pressure.
1 night romance trip Apr 4, 2015
"Perfect Location"
This hotel is a great place to go if you have the intention of walking everywhere that you want to go in SF. The central location is perfect and there are plenty of great restaurants right around it.
Other trip Apr 23, 2015
"Charming, cozy & comfortable"
We had a wonderful stay at the cozy and charming Hotel Rex! We live in the Bay Area and came for a long weekend/birthday celebration in our own backyard. I would love to go back again and would recommend it. The hotel is quaint and designed perfectly for a hotel built in 1907. The Library Bar was so nice and comfortable. The staff was super friendly and easy-going.
2 night romance trip Apr 16, 2015
Julia
"Nice place in good location"
Older building with somevold building quirks. Those quirks fit with the ambiance. I really enjoyed my stay.
Other trip Apr 19, 2015
Deb
"Would definitely stay here again!"
My partner and I stayed here for two nights. The room was comfortable, clean, and had a larger than expected bathroom! Very good location near many food places and public transit stops. Also, we both like to be cold while we sleep, so we LOVED that there was a good fan available in the room. And the front desk staff was super welcoming during check in and check out.
2 night romance trip Apr 11, 2015
"Cozy"
Great experience. Great people. Some say it's too small. It is San francisco. If you're not paying $500+ a night, it is going to be on small side. Get over it. Great location. We walked and trolley everywhere we wanted to go. Fun funky. Nice bar. Will be back!
2 night business trip Apr 12, 2015
Todd
Hotel is ideally located. There is complimentary wine and beer in the lobby bar from 5 PM-6PM each evening, and complimentary coffee in the lobby bar from 5 AM-10 AM.
Other trip Apr 15, 2015
"Fun place close to Union Square"
This was our second stay at the hotel. We enjoy the early 20th century charm of the decor in the common areas, Library Bar, and the rooms. We appreciate the free glass of wine in the early evening, and the coffee in the morning. The Library Bar is a mellow place to hang out and chat after a busy day in the city. The hotel is very convenient to anywhere in the city you want to go, only about one and a half blocks from Union Square. We would definitely stay here again.
Other trip Apr 13, 2015
travelduo
"Cute hotel - great service"
Cute place for sure. Just what you'd expect from a boutique hotel near Union Square. The service is excellent. The breakfast is expensive because coffee and juice are not included ($7 for those plus a $14 eggs Benedict when there are breakfast joints all around you). There is one elevator that doubles as a freight elevator so leave some time when checking out! Overall good spot - we would stay there again.
2 night family trip Apr 7, 2015
"Rex great place near Union square"
The staff was great! I'm not a fan of boutique hotels but this was by far the best I've stayed at.
4 night business trip Mar 29, 2015
Kristie
"Needs updated"
The staff and location were great but this is a very old hotel that needs a thorough cleaning.
Other trip Apr 3, 2015
Lauren
"Quick SF Stop"
Great location, steps away from Union Square. Our initial room was ok, though we found some bugs crawling around the room smelled musty. The room we were switched into was slightly nicer and cleaner. Hotel is in decent shape and is fine for a quick weekend. Would probably stay here again. Hotel employees are very nice and accommodating. Very knowledgeable about the area with great tips on how to maximize your time in SF.
2 night trip with friends Mar 22, 2015
"It was cool"
It was pretty nice. My girlfriend and I spent one night in the city, so we really didn't spend much time in the hotel. Staff was friendly & rooms were nice.
1 night romance trip Mar 28, 2015
Gregory
"Noisy but nice in union square"
A bit noisy.
5 night business trip Mar 19, 2015
Bennett
"Cute place, but average amenities"
This place is cute with lots of character. The front desk woman was extremely helpful in arranging airport transport, offering late check out, and recommending places to go. The rooms are small and dated (part of the character I guess), and it was very warm in the room (even with heat off/AC on) and the terrifyingly loud hotel fire alarm went off at 12:15am, waking up most guests and sending us down 6+ flights of stairs in PJs. The man at front desk was a bit rude about it just being a false alarm and sent us back up and it went off again a few mins later. That was a bit rough, having to work early in the morn, but at least an apology about it the next day or something complimentary would have been nice and helped smooth it over. We chose this hotel bc the price was lowest for that neighborhood and it had good reviews--unfortunately, I'm not sure I'd stay here again.
Other trip Mar 25, 2015
Liz
"Hope to be back soon... :uD"
wonderful stay... hope to be back
1 night romance trip Jan 27, 2015
Napoleon
"nice old hotel with lots of character"
nice, old hotel with a lot of charcter. Staff was friendly and helpful, rooms were clean an decent size.
3 night business trip Mar 16, 2015
Loralee
nice hotel
1 night trip with friends Mar 15, 2015
"Enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Rex!"
We just arrived home from a four-night stay at the Hotel Rex in SFO and were very pleased with the hotel. It was our first time there; we picked it based on other hotel.com reviewers comments and were not disappointed. The room was small - about the size of a mid-size bedroom, but it was big enough for the two of us to share comfortably. The bathroom was also on the small side, but had everything we needed including a full sized tub/shower. It had a window air conditioner which wasn't the greatest, but it was good enough. The folks at the front desk were very polite and accommodating - no issues there. It is an older building - the floors creak in some places, so if you're looking for modern accommodations, you may not like this hotel. I absolutely loved the charm of this hotel and will definitely be back some day. It is right in the heart of Union Square, and with that comes some of the problems every big city faces - we came out one morning to find someone sleeping on the grate fronting the hotel, yet we never felt unsafe while we were there. It's in walking distance to nearly everything - the trolley, the mall - we even walked to the Embarcadero one day. Lots of nice places to eat and shop within a few blocks.
4 night romance trip Feb 26, 2015
Gina
"Boutique Hotel Experience"
Staff very nice and helpful! Nice little bar area with wine on arrival. Place to sit and visit . Room nice clean and comfortable bed!
Other trip Mar 2, 2015
Travel girl
"nice place will return"
front desk was very nice I was able to check in early and get ready for meeting rooms are small but nice - great area - you don't hear the street noise in the room
1 night business trip Feb 10, 2015
"Decent hotel. Close in."
Decent hotel. Nice old library vibe. Staff was very nice. Complimentary wine daily happy hour. Windows and floors are not very soundproof. We had someone above us that was pacing back and forth starting at 5 am which kept us up. The bedding is average at best. The location is great. Like most of SF, loads of homeless people pan handling everywhere.
5 night romance trip Feb 11, 2015
andrew
"One day stay - Couple"
Nice hotel. Charming an intimate. Would stay here again.
1 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015