All hotels in Mill Valley, California, United States of America
165 Throckmorton Ave, Mill Valley, CA, 94941, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

4.9
"Our new go-to hotel"
A wonderful dog friendly hotel, with a great breakfast. Located just off the main shopping street, close to good restaurants, shopping and places to walk the dog.
1 night family trip Jan 23, 2015
"Mill Valley Inn"
A wonderful, intimate inn right in the center of one of the nation's most expensive and artistic communities. Great, courteous service. Plus, it's right in the center of one of the prettiest towns I've ever seen, with redwoods and a stream on the grounds!
1 night romance trip Jun 8, 2015
"Groovin' on a Sunday Afternoon"
The Mill Valley Inn was a great launching point for exploring Marin County. The location is perfect for town and for hiking the trails just steps away. My wife and I did the Dipsea steps, about 1/4 mile from the hotel, and it was a beautiful (and strenuous) hike. It was amazing to see the climate and the ecosystem actually change as we ascended from mossy redwood forests into a more mediterranean climate. Mt. Tam very close to the hotel, with dozens of trails for hiking and biking. The hotel was quaint, if a little odd in its layout. It's basically a parking garage with hotel rooms in it. There are no interior hallways, just open catwalks. It sounds strange, but it actually works. There is a large room where they serve breakfast; very thorough continental breakfast where even my wife can find something she likes. That's rare. We were in room 5 right by the elevator. Avoid this room if you can. It's the smallest in the hotel. Top floor street side rooms have nice balconies. The rear of the hotel faces onto the woods, very pretty. Overall, it's a relatively inexpensive hotel in a very expensive town. The staff are courteous and capable. The breakfast in the morning and wine in the afternoon are a nice perk.
3 night romance trip Jun 5, 2015
Kirk
"Birthday Getaway"
Mill Valley is a beautiful little town with a great music venue. Mill Valley Inn is a very nice hotel with fantastic service, in a perfect location within walking distance of Sweetwater Musc Hall. The decor is very nice except for the bed. It was a king sized bed with a metal frame and the hardest matress I think I've ever slept in. Other than the bed my stay was very relaxing and overall I would definitely recommend this hotel.
Response by Mill Valley Inn
Dear Jodie, First of all, thank you for taking the time to review your visit online, and we are so glad that you enjoyed your time at our property! We are glad that you found the location to your liking and that you had a relaxing visit to the inn. I hope that you took full advantage of the amenities that we offer. We aim to maximize our guest’s experience by providing the best wine hour and breakfast that we possibly can. I am really sorry that you found our bed too hard, as our goal is to provide a bed which suits a wide range of preferences, and we will definitely keep your comments in mind when deciding on new beds in the future. We truly hope this did not detract too much from your time with us, and we hope that it wouldn’t prevent you from staying with us again in the future. Perhaps we can offer you a softer top pad in the future if you notify us prior to arrival on your next visit. Thank you once again for staying with us, and we look forward to hosting you again in the future! Take care, Justin Flake General Manager, Mill Valley Inn
2 night trip Apr 14, 2015
Jodie
"It was like coming back home"
We love to stay at the Mill Valley Inn . Great location , great service and great people !! Breakfast is excellent and a nice happy hour every evening . We are treated like family . This visit , we were updated to a bigger room in the woods. It was lovely. The views from the hotel are breath taking . Mill Valley was home to us few years back so we always come visit our friends .
Other trip Mar 14, 2015
A&J
"Serenity defined"
Falling asleep in the glow of a warm fire. Awesome!
Other trip Jan 23, 2015
"Good location in the center of town."
Got in real late due to flight issues and a bridge closure. Called the hotel and got help with directions. Needed some ice at check in and the they ran to get it for me so I didn't have to stumble around after a very long day.
Other trip Jan 20, 2015
"Absolutely Adorable Cabin"
I got a cute cabin next to a creek with large redwood trees right outside my door. I couldn't have asked for a more comfortable and cozy little cabin right in heart of Mill Valley. Just wonderful I would highly recommend this place to a friend.
Other trip Jan 16, 2015
Kay
"Mill Valley ~ nicer than you'd think"
Nice spot to see everything in Mill Valley.
2 night romance trip Dec 29, 2014
Brenden
"Great location next to local downtown."
This small town is wonderful to walk around. The hotel provides great access within walking distance to many restaurants. The staff were wonderful. From check-in to the breakfast everyone was very nice.
Other trip Dec 15, 2014
Ray
Very pleasant. Morning breakfast and afternoon wine/cheese adds to the gracious environment.
Other trip Dec 11, 2014
"Home away from home..."
I come to Mill Valley about once a month and always stay at the Mill Valley Inn. The staff always go out of their way to welcome me back and make my stay a pleasant one. The rooms are lovely and the location is so convenient and I love being able to just park my car and walk to dinner or shopping or the movies!
Other trip Nov 25, 2014
Edward
"Great spot in a cool town"
Great hotel. The continental breakfast was really good. Much more than you expect. The same can be said of the evening wine and cheese. The Town of Mill Valley is a cool spot and the downtown location means you can walk to everything.
2 night romance trip Nov 2, 2014
Stephen
"Excellent choice in Mill Valley"
Perfect location for hiking, biking and visiting Mill Valley. Fabulous breakfast and support team serving you a special coffee. Very comfortable rooms and expert directons for hiking the Dipsea Trail. Only thing missing was a walking stick. My fault not theirs.
2 night business trip Oct 1, 2014
"what a treat"
This was a fabulous hotel in a great location. The huge room was a real treat, we just wish we were able to stay longer.
1 night business trip Sep 18, 2014
Eve
"Could be so much better..."
I booked this room through Expedia, and was able to save about $65 by doing so. The only room available was 1 of the 2 cottages directly behind the hotel. When I walked into the "lobby" to check in, I was surprised by how tiny it was, with room for only a desk and 2 chairs. Everything you say is heard by everyone in the tiny "lobby", which is very awkward. There were 4 other people standing around the desk also waiting to check in, so not only do you feel rushed, but there is no privacy. When the attendant directed me to my "cottage" I saw that it was a few feet from the parking lot, with two walkways coming directly to the cottage. There was another cottage right next door and further back from the parking lot. There's no privacy. If you open the curtains of your window, hotel guests and employees were on the two walkways looking directly into said window. Many guest wanted to take pictures of the redwood trees in front of the cottage, so not only did you see and hear them, but they see and hear you. If you close the curtain you have zero natural light. It was too dark and shaded for my taste. If you close the curtain you have zero natural light. I need some daylight to come into my room, and once I closed the curtains to have privacy the room became dark and dreary. Everything I wanted to do (unpack, change clothes, walk around in the robe) was on full display unless I closed the curtain. The breakfast was mediocre, as was the wine and cheese hour.
Response by Mill Valley Inn
Dear Traveler, First of all, thank you for choosing to stay at the inn, and thank you for providing your honest feedback about your time with us. I am glad to hear that you were happy with certain aspects of the inn, like the location of our property, the bed, and some of the features of your guest room. I am sorry to hear your comments about certain aspects of the property that you were dissatisfied with, and I sincerely hope it did not detract too much from your visit. One of the unique features of our property is that we have redwood trees located directly outside some of our guest rooms and some of our guests stay with us purely to be nestled around these trees, but I am truly sorry if having these trees near your guest room somehow detracted from your time with us. We try our very best to provide our hotel guests with a relaxing ambience and environment while visiting Mill Valley, and we are truly sorry if we did not deliver on those standards for your visit. We are also sorry to hear your comments about our breakfast and wine hour, as we try our best to provide the best amenities possible to maximize the guest experience for any guest staying at the inn. Currently, we offer smoked salmon, with bagels, capers, and fresh tomatoes and onions. We also offer fresh pastries, baked daily, along with organic yogurt, waffles, fresh fruit, gourmet granola, quiche, and espresso drinks. That being said, our breakfast is continental and not a full one. Were you expecting something cooked to order? If we gave that impression online, at all, please let us know. Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us, and we are truly sorry if we did not live up to the high expectations that we hold for ourselves here at the inn. Take care, Bryan Pourtabib Assistant General Manager, Mill Valley Inn
Other trip Aug 18, 2014
Anessa
"Windows Open All the Time"
Room had a strong smell of creosote from burning artificial logs in the fireplace. The only way to bare it was to leave the patio doors wide open making it impossible to close the curtains. We had a very bad nights sleep.
Other trip Jun 12, 2014
"Muir Woods"
This hotel had its own supply of Coastal Redwoods right outside our window. A most pleasurable stay
Other trip May 25, 2014
ME
"The Best Place on Earth!"
The Mill Valley Inn is a 5 star resort in our opinion! The staff and all that they offer were amazing!! Our room was beautiful and the bed was a dream! We stayed here 4 nights and had the best vacation! They had current just released movies and bikes all at no charge! The gourmet breakfast and service was exceptional and unexpected! They knew exactly where to direct us for touring and even printed out maps and personal directions! The Dipsea trail was located just a two block walk behind the inn and was the highlight of the trip! The scene in Mill Valley from this Inn was like being in Florence Italy!! What a gorgeous place to stay! We ate at El Paseo the first night seated outside amongst the adorable ivy courtyard and had an amazing dinner! Every restaurant in town was a treat with welcoming service! This is definitely the place to stay for San Francisco travelers looking to have a quaint and charming small town beautiful place to stay! A must do is bike the trail to the Golden Gate Bridge (a 14 mile trip total through Sausalito)!! I would rate this Inn a 12 on a scale of 1-10 and I am so glad we decided to stay there! We can't wait to go back!!
4 night romance trip May 16, 2014
Michelle W.
"In downtown Mill Valley"
Everything was top notch. If you are planning on parking, it is best to have a small car as the under-building parking garage spaces are very tight. Great lotions and soaps and quiet room at back. Excellent!
3 night trip Apr 1, 2014
The Bays
"Raining inside - Too little, too late."
Unfortunately, there was a rain storm and at 1:30 am I was woken up by water dripping through a light fixture on to my pillow. Repeated calls to the front desk went unanswered until around 6 am, when I'd finally fallen back asleep.
Response by Mill Valley Inn
Dear KS, We are extremely sorry about the leaking in the guest room that you stayed in here at the inn, and please know that this is something we are working on fixing, as I write this. I’m sure that this was very unpleasant. Had we known that we had a problem in this room, we would not have booked you there. Please know that. We are also sorry that your calls were not answered in a prompt and timely manner, as we do have someone on staff 24 hours. We are still not sure how this happened, but will make sure it does not, again. We pride ourselves on being a property where guests come to relax and get a great night’s sleep, and I’m sorry we did not live up to the standards that we hold for ourselves. I can assure you and those who are reading that this was an isolated issue, in this particular room, and we are actively working to fix it. Take care, Justin Flake General Manager
2 night business trip Mar 5, 2014
KS
"Just a stroll to everything"
I loved being downtown but at the same time on a creek with my view from my room of towering redwoods, a creek w/foot bridge and cherry blossoms. The breakfast was very good for not having eggs or breakfast meats. I like the bamboo floors but wish there had been a thick throw rug for comfort when I did my back work. I brought a thin yoga mat. You are within 3-5 minute walk of everything and yet there is lots of privacy and quiet, great weekend (or midweek getaway).
1 night trip Feb 12, 2014
"Last Minute booking"
I was recently in Mill Valley and decided to spend the night. I got a great rate at the Mill Valley Inn through Expedia,so I booked it. I have stayed at the Inn on 2 other occasions and had family stay there when I lived there and each and every time it has been a great, relaxing stay. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, the proximity to downtown and hiking trails is perfect, the staff is friendly and helpful, and you can't beat the complimentary cheese and wine in the evenings and the delicious buffet breakfast. Love the Mill Valley Inn!
Other trip Feb 9, 2014
"Directly downtown and near everything"
It was great, the rooms were very nice, clean and comfortable. There was no in room coffee, but the breakfast in the lounge was perfect.
2 night business trip Jan 13, 2014
"A Very Special Place, Indeed"
We had a great kick off to our 20th wedding anniversary celebration before heading on over to the coast for two additional nights. The Mill Valley Inn staff went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable. They made particular note of our anniversary with a few special treats in our room. The breakfast (available to everyone, not just us) was one of the most impressive I have seen anywhere. Way above the standard fare. Charming inn in a lovely little town and you are only steps away from EVERYTHING.
1 night romance trip Nov 8, 2013
"Great cottage, warm environment"
Excellent
1 night trip Sep 8, 2013
"Great little inn"
Wonderful staff and room. Breakfast had fresh fruit and lots of other nice items including eggs and salmon. Nice wine and cheese. Needed warm cookies to be perfect
1 night business trip Sep 9, 2013
Job
"Great room, location, staff!"
I stayed recently with my fiancé and honestly wished we stayed more than one night. The (free) happy hour wine and cheese was so delicious. Great breakfast spread too. Our room was very clean, super cute/quaint, awesomely comfy bed, and what a fabulous location! We stayed in a room in the Victorian type building in the back - cute little creek below us with redwoods all around - and all enjoyed from our porch chairs! We were a quick walk to some nice restaurants and a short beautiful drive to Muir Woods (and San Fran). Thanks for a great first night of vacation Mill Valley - we will certainly be back if we are ever nearby again.
1 night trip Aug 25, 2013
Ashleigh
"a great hotel"
We love this hotel and the town. The hotel serves a very nice wine and cheese and crackers spread in the evening and a really nice breakfast in the morning. both in a great room.
Other trip Sep 4, 2013
"Looking tired"
We have stayed there on and off for several decades. They have not remodeled and it is looking tired. Room had hairs in tub and sink was very slow to drain. There was a previous guests briefs behind the lounge chair. Twice i went to retrieve some ice and there were just a few pieces left. Breakfast and happy hour were very nice and staff is very accommodating . We love the location, but it is no longer feeling "fresh".
3 night trip Aug 27, 2013
"Perfect Mill Valley hotel"
My room was on the top floor, with a balcony overlooking the charming town of Mill Valley. The staff couldn't have been more helpful or friendly, the complimentary breakfasts were outstanding (they will even make you a Peet's latte), and the whole experience was the best.
Other trip Jul 22, 2013
"Delightful spot!"
This is a small hotel tucked into downtown Mill Valley. It has the main building with most of it's rooms and the lounge for the excellent breakfast overlooks tall redwood trees. I stayed in the Creek House - an older building behind the hotel on the creek. It was comfy. My room was clean, the service excellent and would stay there again. Delightful spot!
1 night trip May 9, 2013
"Great place for everyone from singles to families."
Overall, great place to stay. I had a room over the busy street so if you are looking for more quiet request a room on the back. Still, noise was not too bad except at 7am when the garbage men come by and they are extremely loud. They offer free breakfast and wine and cheese in the evenings which is a great touch. Everyone was very nice and helpful, especially John. I would definitely stay here again next time I am in the area.
Other trip May 2, 2013
Cyn
"Good experience, just missing something"
A+ for customer service and hotel staff. Breakfast was wonderful and loved the Latte made to order was perfect. But the design of the place looks pieced together, walking to our room my spouse and I were worried about noise from a restroom right next to our entry. The room was the standard rate queen size bed, though luxury linens and design elements to the room. We felt it lacked the romantic factor due to the rather load A/C unit hovering over the gorgeous 10+ foot ceiling and the street view. Noises from both directions meant for interrupted sleep and we had ear plugs. Hotel had fair to good accommodations, but honestly my husband and I most likely wont return, wouldn't be the Inn per say but more so the area of Mill Valley, just doesn't suit our personalities and thoughts of a romantic mini- vacation.
2 night romance trip Apr 24, 2013
I love this inn. The only note is that the parking is a pain.
Other trip Apr 25, 2013
Very nice stay in excellent location (right in the middle of town near all the restaurants and shops. Cozy room with wood-burning stove. Nice balcony over the street to sit and enjoy a glass of wine. Excellent Continental-type breakfast. Afternoon wine and cheese is a nice extra.
1 night trip Feb 7, 2013
"Loved it!"
Could not have been more charming - a bed and breakfast feel with full ammenities. great staff. beautiful location! we were upgraded to a room with a balcony and fireplace - bliss...
2 night trip Jan 27, 2013
daisley
"Lovely inn, perfect location"
This was our first stay at the Mill Valley Inn, and I'm sure we'll be back next time we visit our family in the area. Beautiful room looking toward the redwood grove. Excellent deep bathtub! The happy hour / breakfast room on the upper level is a marvelous place to relax. And the staff is terrific.
2 night family trip Dec 29, 2012
Jackie
"Relaxing get away!"
It was a comfortable hotel room. The breakfast were good. We were pleased.
Other trip Dec 29, 2012
"Small but very comfortable"
Old section needs update...but hotel is more bed and breakfast like. Great and free breakfast.
Other trip Dec 18, 2012
"Comfortable and friendly"
Wonderful breakfast room. Lovely wine and cheese. Helpful staff. I wanted to stay another night but it was booked!
Other trip Nov 22, 2012
Sue
"Mill Valley Inn"
The staff was very friendly, and breakfast was nice. The cottage was nice, though a bit dated (rusty sink fixtures, etc.). The location is good, parking convenient (though a tight fit).
2 night romance trip Nov 8, 2012
"Quaint, friendly and ideally located"
Highly recommend as part of the Mill Valley experience
Other trip Oct 30, 2012
"Great experience"
Such a cute hotel and neighborhood. Never been to Mill Valley before and am so glad we found this area. We stayed two nights here and were suprised by the service the hotel offered for wine/cheese at night and their breakfast spread was impressive. Would definitely stay here again.
Romance trip Oct 8, 2012
Emily
"Lovely Spot for a Break -- either going or coming"
Loved the Mill Valley Inn. Simply charming, great service. Great location -- just off the town square -- great restaurants, coffee shops and interesting boutiques in easy walking distance. The evening wine and cheese gathering was a great way to meet other guests and the breakfast was superb. An oasis within an easy drive of Oakland or San Fran.
1 night trip Sep 20, 2012
Elaine
every thing was perfect
2 night trip with friends Aug 25, 2012
"Big Birthday Hiking weekend"
It couldn't have been better. We arrived very early to hike the Dipsea and left our bags in the office. When we returned, all bags were in the correct rooms and we were just in time for wine and cheese. The hotel is beautiful and Mill Valley downtown is wonderful.
1 night trip with friends Aug 26, 2012
"Great Location But..."
This is the only hotel, it seems, on the town square of quaint Mill Valley and the easy walk to all this small town offers was my primary reason for choosing the Mill Valley Inn. Its proximity to several pleasant restaurants and shops, including a grocer, made the location ideal. That said, I can't say that I recommend it. After sleeping in our "Queen bed with fireplace" room the first night we noticed the rattling, ceiling mounted air conditioner was leaking water down the bedroom wall. On closer inspection, this appeared to have occurred some time ago since the resulting stain seemed to have been painted over several times. We also noticed the nightstand lamp shade was similarly affected. I went to the office to report this but found the front desk unstaffed; this apparently because the hotel is run by a single person who occasionally has other duties. As our stay wore on we noticed towels were forgotten after the room was made up, a single ice machine for the entire hotel, and a cramped, challenging parking structure. On the plus side, there is a simple, free breakfast and an evening wine reception featuring wines most people wouldn't buy but it's a nice gesture none the less.
Other trip Aug 17, 2012
"very handy to town attractiond"
We enjoyed the property
2 night trip Jul 27, 2012
"Great atmosphere in the heart of Mill Valley"
A charming small boutique hotel, centrally located in the heart of Mill Valley, California. Staff was very friendly, accommodating and efficient. Room was wonderful, with rustic furniture and was spacious. There was a nice little balcony with a small table and a couple of chairs.The balcony overlooked the main street and had views of Mt Tam. The hotel is just steps away from restaurants, cafes, and shops as well as hiking trails up to Dipsea steps and to the hills. The bathroom was a little cramped, but did have a stand-in shower and a separate tub. The room came with breakfast. The breakfast lounge was located on the second floor, with a nice in-door eating area as well as a large outside terrace with tables. Food was excellent, with fresh fruit, selections of breads, bagels smoked salmon, and waffles among other things. None were of the typical mass-produced hotel variety but more along the lines of what one would find in a European inn. Coffee was Peat's Coffee - which is far superior to Starbucks. In the evening the hotel had a happy hour, with wine, cheese and some other munchies in the same location. Great atmosphere. There was free internet in the hotel as well as free parking on the premises. Just the way it should be. We had an excellent stay and would highly recommend the hotel.
Other trip Jul 7, 2012