All hotels in Arcata, California, United States of America
4700 Valley West Blvd, Arcata, CA, 95521, United States of America, ‏‎855-239-9481

Not the best breakfast - but overall very good value for the price
1 night business trip Jan 8, 2015
"good value"
Clean, functional, staff friendly and helpful. Made me coffee at 4:30 in the morning when I left. It's only a 2 star hotel, but for what it costs, it is a really good deal.
3 night family trip Jan 1, 2015
KEVIN
Overall Pleasant Experience.Short Stay.
Other trip Jan 4, 2015
"terrible service"
The owner and staff were really really rude. only gave a half hour of late check out and then tried multiple times to come clean the room before even the original check out time. as we left, another customer was having the same trouble and was talking to the owner of the hotel, who promptly called the police on him for no reason.
1 night romance trip Dec 31, 2014
Aaron
"Hotel management needs training"
We arrived around 2am New Years (sober) and hotel claimed they didn't receive my reservation from Expedia and wanted me to pay for my room again after refusing I was told you don't have to stay here. I explained my room was already paid in full. I asked to speak with the manager, the front desk person had the manager on the phone but they refused to talk to me. After almost an hour they somehow FOUND my reservation so I put a $100 cash deposit down out of fear they would somehow charge my card if I gave them my credit card. The next morning I talked to the manager she again said we have no record of my payment. R u kidding me!! I showed her the Expedia reservation/confirmation and after they called Expedia AGAIN they gave my deposit back only after she verified the scratch on the tv was from a previous guest!! What a joke. Guess the reviews are true this hotel doesn't like to work with Expedia. Bad experience with the front desk clerk obviously needs more training and bad experience with the manager as she refused to resolve the issue with me until the next morning. I was not going to pay for my room twice....seriously? I do have to say the breakfast was the best part of our stay. But I will not be staying in the future and my friends will be noticed as well.
Other trip Jan 2, 2015
Tim n Karen
"Overal very nice for the price"
I had read previous reviews so I was hesitant to book a room. My experience was very pleasant. The hotel staff were very nice and accommodating. The room was larger than I expected. The continental breakfast was great, coffee is a bit watered down, and the eggs needed seasoning, but overal decent breakfast. The blankets and cover was definitely stained with who knows what, so be prepared to crank up the heater and sleep with the sheets. The overal cleanliness of the hotel was done well, which was appreciated. There were not any loud and obnoxious people there either. I would stay there again, especially for the right price :)
Other trip Jan 2, 2015
"Happy in Humboldt"
Loved the comfort and cleanliness of the hotel. It was very nice to have coffee and tea available in lobby at all times. My only complaint, a small one, is the size of both the room and pool towels. But the breakfast was nice and always kept up. Hotel staff was very nice.
4 night family trip Dec 26, 2014
"Nice hotel close to the shopping and highway entry"
The checking in is simple , easy and only taking five minute. The room is big for two person and secure. We will highly recommend it to our friends.
Other trip Dec 26, 2014
alfu
"Nice Stay"
Two days in Arcata ti visit family--it was a good visit.
2 night family trip Dec 12, 2014
"Good local hotel"
The hotel was functional and clean. The local was on hotel row near the freeway, so access was easy. It is only about a 3 minute drive to the old-town where there are plenty of restaurants and shops. Parking for the hotel was very good.
Other trip Dec 15, 2014
Ray
"Good safe place, comfort could be improved"
The hotel is fine. Overall, it is an ok stay for the price, but it is no home away from home. It is in a good location, surrounded by other hotels, and a small strip of stores. I couldn't sleep much of the night, because the room didn't have a thermostat, but one of those window units. At first it made our room blazing hot, then I turned on the AC (in 40° weather) and it finally felt comfortable enough to sleep. The mattress was ok, my wife slept fine but I am very used to my memory foam mattress, so I had some comfort issues not shared by everyone else. My kids loved the pool and the treadmill.
1 night family trip Nov 28, 2014
Eamonn
"101 South near Humbolt"
Overall comfortable hotel. Breakfast had lots of choices. The waffles tasted a bit sour so we skipped them. Our room was clean and nice. The soap dish had fallen off and was laying on the counter. There was a leak coming from bathroom sink that unexpectedly soaked my socks. We planned check out for about 10:30 AM because it was the last day of our trip and we were taking our time. The maids barged in at least three times during this time. Creating a "get out of here" feel.
1 night family trip Nov 29, 2014
Rene
"3rd best for area"
The Hampton Inn and suites next-door I would say is number one and the holiday inn express next to the airport number two and the Howard Johnson number three out of places to stay in the Humboldt area, Arcata and Eureka specifically. But the Howard Johnson is by far the least expensive out of the three to stay at.
3 night trip with friends Nov 17, 2014
"good value comfortable bed"
I travel every month from one corner of california to another. I like a good value and a comfortable bed and quite. This fit the bill and was a reasonable rate. Seemed like they had a good lil breakfast and is at a central location.
loba
"Hotel Stay"
It was good.The food could have been hotter.The bed was not comfortable.The staff was friendly.
2 night romance trip Nov 8, 2014
"Fine for a short stay. . ."
The Howard Johnson's was fine for a short stay, lacks character but it's a chain. . .so what. It's a newer hotel, which I don't really like. . .but it was a good location for my weekend getaway trip. Check in and out were both smooth. . .hotel employees very friendly and nice. The room was large, great refrigerator, nice roomy bathroom, comfortable bed. . . not really a homey atmosphere, furnishings a bit on the cheap end but hey. . .I paid a good price for the room. It's about as good as you'll get in Arcata unless you go up a step to the Hampton, which is next door. . .fine place for a couple nights.
2 night trip Nov 7, 2014
Delmas
"Good deal for price"
Nice hotel, big rooms and close to the redwoods.
2 night family trip Nov 7, 2014
"great value!"
The breakfast was very good, and appreciated. the room was small but very clean. Also the price was very reasonable.
2 night family trip Oct 27, 2014
"Very nice stay!"
The room was nice and comfortable for our family. Easy access to 101. No compaints at all!
Other trip Oct 24, 2014
Had an excellent stay
2 night business trip Oct 14, 2014
Nice location--close to shopping center. Indoor pool big hit with kids.
Other trip Oct 21, 2014
"Clean & comfortable"
They served a hot breakfast which was a nice plus for a budget hotel. Nice folks, would stay again.
1 night trip Oct 11, 2014
"Clean and quiet"
Very quiet and clean. For the price value, I would stay here again.
1 night trip Oct 12, 2014
Donna J
"Good for an Overnight"
New "Hot Breakfast "- was ok, but space is way to crowded. Also, breakfast was exactly the same both days. Room was ok- bed was comfy. Bath had a jetted tub but it was non~ functional =\
Other trip Oct 11, 2014
"Solid choice when visitng HSU"
Our second time there while visiting HSU. Beds are comfortable, it's close to campus and breakfast is fine. Not fancy by any means, but comfortable. One of our other visits we stayed next door at the Hampton Inn, which, while nicer, isn't worth the difference in money.
2 night family trip Oct 3, 2014
"My favorite hotel in Arcata"
I've stayed here a few times before and returned after retrying another establishment on Valley West Boulevard. The Holiday Inn Express offers a very good breakfast to guests, now including scrambled eggs, sausage links, and tater tots. The free Wi-Fi service was working at nearly 8 megabits per second. The staff is very nice and conscientious about service.
3 night family trip Oct 3, 2014
Jeff Dorsch
"An OK hotel communserated with the price"
The Hotel is well situated in Hwy 101 encrusted among several hotels, fast food outlets, and a strip shopping mall.The room was clean and well appointed. The main facility requires maintenance. The included breakfast was standard fare for this level of hotel.
Other trip Oct 5, 2014
JLL
"Excellent stay"
Very nice stay
3 night trip Sep 30, 2014
We have stayed here nearly annually for 11 years though it has been 2 years based on conflicts. The site has been much rennovated and Much improved. Better doors, new windows, upgraded bath and remodeled breakfast room entry, with elevator. Carpet still a bit worn. We will stay here again.
2 night trip Sep 26, 2014
"Great Value"
Our stay was quiet and enjoyable. The hotel decor is very outdated, but beds are comfortable and price to room is very good. Staff is very friendly and continental breakfast was simple and fast. All-in-all a good place to stay for a quick weekend.
2 night trip Sep 26, 2014
Don
"Will stay again!"
Happy with my stay. Will definitely stay again in the future.
2 night family trip Sep 19, 2014
meghan
The entire hotel is a bit aged, with areas of mildewy odors within the room. Dirty washcloth was still hanging over the shower curtain rod when we first arrived to our room. The staff was pleasent.
2 night business trip Sep 14, 2014
"Nice Hotel for price."
Pulled in late, but the staff was nice and helpful. Room was clean and roomy. Close to Redwoods, and for the price well worth the stay.
Other trip Sep 5, 2014
"Very nice place to stay."
Clean, friendly staff, and an affordable price. Near to the freeway and restaurants.
Other trip Aug 30, 2014
Forest Hiker
Very clean and a great place to stay. We didn't eat the breakfast so can't comment about that.
1 night business trip Aug 27, 2014
"Not a lot of options for hotels in the area..."
Kids were running up and down the hallway at all hours of the day and night. That is to be expected at a family friendly hotel to a certain degree but when my husband finally called the front desk to ask them to please do something about the noise, the response from hotel staff was that "this is only the first time you are calling to complain". I'm not sure how many times we were required to call the front desk before they noticed the unruly kids and their inconsiderate parents that were on the first floor just around the corner from the front desk!! I guess this is the kind of hotel that people with no manners or common courtesy frequent. Next time we are in Arcata we will be sure to book early enough to stay somewhere else.
Other trip Aug 28, 2014
"close to Humboldt university and reason for stay"
liked the indoor swimming pool. Room was clean and comfortable.
5 night trip Aug 17, 2014
"Awesome hotel for a great price"
I'd stay at this hotel again and I would recommend it to my family and friends who are driving through the Redwoods - the hotel feels like a new construction so everything is pristine - there are so many eating places around it too that are literally walking distance - the only negative I can think of is that it's next to another hotel that when I opened my curtain to see the view I was looking into someone else's room.
1 night family trip Aug 24, 2014
Sherwin
"Terrible towels"
The bath towels were in terrible condition. Very thin bath towels, had to use two in order to get dry from the showers we had taken. Overall ok for one night stay.
1 night trip Aug 21, 2014
"Nice town, but lots of drifters"
The overall experience was pretty good. The hotel front desk guy was very courteous, but was hard to find at times. Room and amenities were on par with the price. No complaints.
2 night family trip Aug 14, 2014
"passing through"
I would not stay there again. Things they were supposed to have, they didn't. Like 24 hr Hot choclate.Coffee, Tea. There was no Choclate,The coffee ran out, when asked if they could make more, they said they would, but never did. Things that were advertised for breakfast was not there. When asked them about it they just shruged, and did nothing. Plus they were rude about it.
1 night trip Aug 13, 2014
Ella
"Cost too much for the quality of room"
High priced. The rooms are becoming run down. Spent much less for other rooms along the coast.
1 night trip Aug 14, 2014
"CLEAN! CLEAN! CLEAN! AND BEAUTIFUL ROOM!!"
I am a stickler for cleanliness and this hotel exceeded my expectations. The room was beautiful and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was so clean and nice. Everything was clean and nice. I was very comfortable and enjoyed my stay very much. Thank you Howard Johnson. I will come back again to stay at your hotel!!
Other trip Aug 20, 2014
Ann
"Nice, clean hotel"
This HOJO was well taken care of and very clean. Only cons were the beds were not super comfortable and the breakfast room is TINY.
1 night family trip Aug 14, 2014
"It was just what we needed and adequate."
Not fancy, but an "okay, sort of place.
1 night trip Aug 14, 2014
Very clean and comfortable. Would stay there again.
Other trip Aug 15, 2014
Teri
"Clean...ok place to sleep."
The place is clean and if that is what you are after, then book. The view is nonexistent, our view were are neighbors in the hotel next door. The pool is small and clean, but a little bit grungy. A very small work out room and coined op laundry next to work out room and thats that. The breakfast is small, with very limited seating...choice of a do it yourself waffle station (a bit dirty after a few uses) cold cereal, bagels and bananas. Coffee, oj and milk round out the rest of breakfast choices, it nothing exciting. Its close to the freeway, and the area itself is a short drive, not in walking distance to the Arcata plaza and around the hotel is homeless population and open drug use.
2 night trip Aug 11, 2014
Anne
"Would recommend"
We enjoyed our stay here. Rooms were average. Service was great. Only stayed one night but I would stay there again.
1 night trip Jun 30, 2014
A Grey
"loud trucks."
semi-trucks would start up at 2:30 3pm in morning run for 45min. before leaving. are room was at front of hotel. next time ask for room at back of hotel. no other place for truck to park.
Other trip Aug 12, 2014
bob
"great place to stay"
I enjoy the close proximity of the hotel to my buisness stops.The beds are nice, pool is nice and breakfast room is nice.
2 night trip Aug 8, 2014