All hotels in Arcata, California, United States of America
4700 Valley West Blvd, Arcata, CA, 95521, United States of America, ‏‎855-239-9481

"No need to stay anywhere else when we're in Arcata"
Hey - Great little hotel! The Manager/Owner is on-site and makes sure that all the players (staff) are on their toes and attending to the business at hand. Stayed here 8 months ago - great food at b-fast, great front desk personnel. The Manager knows her business! And a very reasonable price!
3 night family trip Apr 1, 2015
"decent budget hotel"
Friendly staff, easy location, a safe and decent place to stay if you have lots of plans outside of your room--- the beds were a bit lumpy & some worn out amenities (torn shower curtain, scratched up toilet seat, old outdated alarm clock --- I have stayed here more than once for ease & convenient location. The in room fridge & coffee is a plus. Pool is also nice-- but usually full of screaming kids at the hours most might want to swim for a workout. Laundry facility available is also a must if you do any beach or hiking excursions. I would stay here again but not for more than I paid.
Other trip Apr 3, 2015
B
"Poor condition."
Couch was tread bare and worn out.
1 night romance trip Mar 26, 2015
"Comfortable Stay"
Visiting family, nice place to stay.
2 night romance trip Mar 20, 2015
Tina
"Awesome place!"
This is the second time my mom and I have stayed at the Howard Johnson in Arcata, CA. We will keep returning to this hotel when we make trips over to the coast. Very clean. Awesome hotel staff. Easy to find if you're like me and are prone to getting lost. Keep up the excellent work!
Other trip Mar 23, 2015
Krystle
"The pictures on the web does not do it justice !"
They need to update their pictures, real nice hotel for the price, excellent pool and exercise room, definitely will stay there again
3 night family trip Mar 16, 2015
Dirrick
Nice hotel. Pleasant staff. Hot breakfast. Quiet and convenient.
Other trip Mar 16, 2015
"Excellent stay good value"
Room was very clean, quiet, comfortable, staff was friendly , Helpful and honest. A piece of our luggage that was left behind was shipped to us quickly with a very reasonable rate. Will definitely stay there again.
3 night romance trip Mar 6, 2015
Curtis
"Aaron visiting the redwoods"
Great Time
2 night romance trip Mar 6, 2015
Aaron
The room was dirty. Floors not properly vacuumed. Had to ask for room service. I would not stay there again
5 night trip with friends Feb 17, 2015
Cathy
"Hotel near Humboldt State University"
The hotel was easy to find and just a few minutes drive from Humboldt State. The room was clean, the warm breakfast was filling, and the staff was very helpful in recommending places to eat.
Other trip Feb 18, 2015
"good stay"
Good service and staff. Very nice breakfast. Comfortable room, but dirt was around edge of carpet.
1 night romance trip Feb 13, 2015
"Great basic hotel."
Check in was easy. The room was very basic, but clean and quiet. I'm familiar with Arcata, so it was in the perfect location for my needs. I really liked the staff and manager. They were vigilant and I felt safe which is always an issue in this area which has a large homeless population. The gym equipment didn't work.
2 night romance trip Jan 12, 2015
"clean and confortable"
very comfortable and clean service was not very friendly
1 night business trip Jan 23, 2015
We were in town because of a death in the family. Our room provided a clean and quiet hub for the necessary activities that were required. Would definitely stay there again.
Other trip Jan 29, 2015
"Very nice stay"
We had a very comfortable stay. The hotel was very clean. Our room was spacious. The bed was comfortable. The refrigerator and microwave were great to have.Very nice indoor pool. Had it to ourselves both times we used it. Front desk staff was even willing to leave it open past closing time for us if needed since we didn't arrive until 9:15pm and wanted to soak in the jacuzzi after a long drive. Breakfast was great for those of us who don't want carbs. They had scrambled eggs and sausage. There were also tater tots, waffle maker, cold cereal, about 6 varieties of bagels, 3 types of bread, and bananas. It was kept well stocked and clean. The hotel is very easy access on and off the highway. There are fast food places and restaurants in walking distance. Unfortunately there are some homeless walking about too. Most people probably don't want to exercise on vacation so won't care, but the exercise room consists of only 1 treadmill, 1 exercise bike that was out of service, and a weight machine. We had a very pleasant stay and recommend the Howard Johnson.
2 night romance trip Jan 15, 2015
"Great Value"
Complimentary breakfast is excellent! Service was great. Access to surrounding area is excellent. Hotel seems older on the inside so while nothing was bad nothing was great either. Room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I will stay again in the future.
4 night business trip Jan 14, 2015
"Clean, quiet, good price."
Clean, quiet, free full breakfast. Felt totally comfortable there. would stay again.
Other trip Jan 17, 2015
"Nice hotel near a little shopping center."
This hotel was very clean and quiet. Breakfast was nice and very clean breakfast room. Rooms were roomy and clean.
Other trip Jan 16, 2015
Becky
Not the best breakfast - but overall very good value for the price
1 night business trip Jan 8, 2015
"good value"
Clean, functional, staff friendly and helpful. Made me coffee at 4:30 in the morning when I left. It's only a 2 star hotel, but for what it costs, it is a really good deal.
3 night family trip Jan 1, 2015
KEVIN
Overall Pleasant Experience.Short Stay.
Other trip Jan 4, 2015
"terrible service"
The owner and staff were really really rude. only gave a half hour of late check out and then tried multiple times to come clean the room before even the original check out time. as we left, another customer was having the same trouble and was talking to the owner of the hotel, who promptly called the police on him for no reason.
1 night romance trip Dec 31, 2014
Aaron
"Hotel management needs training"
We arrived around 2am New Years (sober) and hotel claimed they didn't receive my reservation from Expedia and wanted me to pay for my room again after refusing I was told you don't have to stay here. I explained my room was already paid in full. I asked to speak with the manager, the front desk person had the manager on the phone but they refused to talk to me. After almost an hour they somehow FOUND my reservation so I put a $100 cash deposit down out of fear they would somehow charge my card if I gave them my credit card. The next morning I talked to the manager she again said we have no record of my payment. R u kidding me!! I showed her the Expedia reservation/confirmation and after they called Expedia AGAIN they gave my deposit back only after she verified the scratch on the tv was from a previous guest!! What a joke. Guess the reviews are true this hotel doesn't like to work with Expedia. Bad experience with the front desk clerk obviously needs more training and bad experience with the manager as she refused to resolve the issue with me until the next morning. I was not going to pay for my room twice....seriously? I do have to say the breakfast was the best part of our stay. But I will not be staying in the future and my friends will be noticed as well.
Other trip Jan 2, 2015
Tim n Karen
"Overal very nice for the price"
I had read previous reviews so I was hesitant to book a room. My experience was very pleasant. The hotel staff were very nice and accommodating. The room was larger than I expected. The continental breakfast was great, coffee is a bit watered down, and the eggs needed seasoning, but overal decent breakfast. The blankets and cover was definitely stained with who knows what, so be prepared to crank up the heater and sleep with the sheets. The overal cleanliness of the hotel was done well, which was appreciated. There were not any loud and obnoxious people there either. I would stay there again, especially for the right price :)
Other trip Jan 2, 2015
"Happy in Humboldt"
Loved the comfort and cleanliness of the hotel. It was very nice to have coffee and tea available in lobby at all times. My only complaint, a small one, is the size of both the room and pool towels. But the breakfast was nice and always kept up. Hotel staff was very nice.
4 night family trip Dec 26, 2014
"Nice hotel close to the shopping and highway entry"
The checking in is simple , easy and only taking five minute. The room is big for two person and secure. We will highly recommend it to our friends.
Other trip Dec 26, 2014
alfu
"Nice Stay"
Two days in Arcata ti visit family--it was a good visit.
2 night family trip Dec 12, 2014
"Good local hotel"
The hotel was functional and clean. The local was on hotel row near the freeway, so access was easy. It is only about a 3 minute drive to the old-town where there are plenty of restaurants and shops. Parking for the hotel was very good.
Other trip Dec 15, 2014
Ray
"Good safe place, comfort could be improved"
The hotel is fine. Overall, it is an ok stay for the price, but it is no home away from home. It is in a good location, surrounded by other hotels, and a small strip of stores. I couldn't sleep much of the night, because the room didn't have a thermostat, but one of those window units. At first it made our room blazing hot, then I turned on the AC (in 40° weather) and it finally felt comfortable enough to sleep. The mattress was ok, my wife slept fine but I am very used to my memory foam mattress, so I had some comfort issues not shared by everyone else. My kids loved the pool and the treadmill.
1 night family trip Nov 28, 2014
Eamonn
"101 South near Humbolt"
Overall comfortable hotel. Breakfast had lots of choices. The waffles tasted a bit sour so we skipped them. Our room was clean and nice. The soap dish had fallen off and was laying on the counter. There was a leak coming from bathroom sink that unexpectedly soaked my socks. We planned check out for about 10:30 AM because it was the last day of our trip and we were taking our time. The maids barged in at least three times during this time. Creating a "get out of here" feel.
1 night family trip Nov 29, 2014
Rene
"3rd best for area"
The Hampton Inn and suites next-door I would say is number one and the holiday inn express next to the airport number two and the Howard Johnson number three out of places to stay in the Humboldt area, Arcata and Eureka specifically. But the Howard Johnson is by far the least expensive out of the three to stay at.
3 night trip with friends Nov 17, 2014
"good value comfortable bed"
I travel every month from one corner of california to another. I like a good value and a comfortable bed and quite. This fit the bill and was a reasonable rate. Seemed like they had a good lil breakfast and is at a central location.
loba
"Hotel Stay"
It was good.The food could have been hotter.The bed was not comfortable.The staff was friendly.
2 night romance trip Nov 8, 2014
"Fine for a short stay. . ."
The Howard Johnson's was fine for a short stay, lacks character but it's a chain. . .so what. It's a newer hotel, which I don't really like. . .but it was a good location for my weekend getaway trip. Check in and out were both smooth. . .hotel employees very friendly and nice. The room was large, great refrigerator, nice roomy bathroom, comfortable bed. . . not really a homey atmosphere, furnishings a bit on the cheap end but hey. . .I paid a good price for the room. It's about as good as you'll get in Arcata unless you go up a step to the Hampton, which is next door. . .fine place for a couple nights.
2 night trip Nov 7, 2014
Delmas
"Good deal for price"
Nice hotel, big rooms and close to the redwoods.
2 night family trip Nov 7, 2014
"great value!"
The breakfast was very good, and appreciated. the room was small but very clean. Also the price was very reasonable.
2 night family trip Oct 27, 2014
"Very nice stay!"
The room was nice and comfortable for our family. Easy access to 101. No compaints at all!
Other trip Oct 24, 2014
Had an excellent stay
2 night business trip Oct 14, 2014
Nice location--close to shopping center. Indoor pool big hit with kids.
Other trip Oct 21, 2014
"Clean & comfortable"
They served a hot breakfast which was a nice plus for a budget hotel. Nice folks, would stay again.
1 night trip Oct 11, 2014
"Clean and quiet"
Very quiet and clean. For the price value, I would stay here again.
1 night trip Oct 12, 2014
Donna J
"Good for an Overnight"
New "Hot Breakfast "- was ok, but space is way to crowded. Also, breakfast was exactly the same both days. Room was ok- bed was comfy. Bath had a jetted tub but it was non~ functional =\
Other trip Oct 11, 2014
"Solid choice when visitng HSU"
Our second time there while visiting HSU. Beds are comfortable, it's close to campus and breakfast is fine. Not fancy by any means, but comfortable. One of our other visits we stayed next door at the Hampton Inn, which, while nicer, isn't worth the difference in money.
2 night family trip Oct 3, 2014
"My favorite hotel in Arcata"
I've stayed here a few times before and returned after retrying another establishment on Valley West Boulevard. The Holiday Inn Express offers a very good breakfast to guests, now including scrambled eggs, sausage links, and tater tots. The free Wi-Fi service was working at nearly 8 megabits per second. The staff is very nice and conscientious about service.
3 night family trip Oct 3, 2014
Jeff Dorsch
"An OK hotel communserated with the price"
The Hotel is well situated in Hwy 101 encrusted among several hotels, fast food outlets, and a strip shopping mall.The room was clean and well appointed. The main facility requires maintenance. The included breakfast was standard fare for this level of hotel.
Other trip Oct 5, 2014
JLL
"Excellent stay"
Very nice stay
3 night trip Sep 30, 2014
We have stayed here nearly annually for 11 years though it has been 2 years based on conflicts. The site has been much rennovated and Much improved. Better doors, new windows, upgraded bath and remodeled breakfast room entry, with elevator. Carpet still a bit worn. We will stay here again.
2 night trip Sep 26, 2014
"Great Value"
Our stay was quiet and enjoyable. The hotel decor is very outdated, but beds are comfortable and price to room is very good. Staff is very friendly and continental breakfast was simple and fast. All-in-all a good place to stay for a quick weekend.
2 night trip Sep 26, 2014
Don
"Will stay again!"
Happy with my stay. Will definitely stay again in the future.
2 night family trip Sep 19, 2014