All hotels in Leicester, England, United Kingdom

Comfortable
    Dirty
    Room is not nice
"Disappointing and cheerless"
We spent very little time in the hotel as we were visiting family. The room was bizarre. (312) It was on multiple levels and rather dangerous with a step from the bed level up to the wardrobe level and then another step into the bathroom. Shabby and cheerless decor. I would not recommend. There are other more modern hotels for the same price. Nice public areas create an entirely false impression of the standard of accommodation.
2 night romance trip Dec 25, 2015
Monique
"A good hotel"
The bathroom needs towel racks and a place to put shampoos, body wash etc in or near the shower. But it was nice and quiet and the staff were very helpful.We loved it's central location.
4 night romance trip Mar 21, 2015
"Tricky towels"
We stay at this Hotel rather regularly because our son attends the University of Leicester. Overall, the service is generally very warm and accommodating especially in the bar and dining room. Our review would have been higher but we found the desk clerk during the weekend to be rather prickly. In addition, if it is known that a room is being occupied by more than one person, why is the second set of towels "hiding" in the closet? They should be in the bathroom ready for use. When we brought this to attention, we were struck with an almost a sarcastic response - towels in a plastic bag on the bed. Why, again, were they just not put in the bathroom to be ready for the guest?? Small thing but somewhat indicative of a bad attitude by the desk clerk and housekeeping. We will stay again because of the convenience. Hopefully the desk and housekeeping can be as accommodating as the wait staff.
3 night trip Jun 7, 2014
"Nice hotel but short stay."
I didn't arrive here until well after midnight, the night porter let us in the lobby as was very kind even in our sleep-deprived state. The hotel and room were nice, a little dated but more then sufficient. Unfortunately I left early the next day and didn't get to explore more of the surrounding area.
1 night business trip Sep 17, 2013

The following English reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

"Very Helpful People"
Bice hotel, really helpful people. Room was ok
1 night business trip Mar 23, 2016
Alex
"Overnight business stay"
Ideally located just a short walk from the train station. It was central to all the nightlife, shops and food.
1 night business trip Feb 29, 2016
"Overpriced"
Rubbish hotel and sullen service
1 night romance trip Feb 27, 2016
Sandeep
"will be back"
There was no heating in room the wallpaper coming ceiling it was a very cold room that's with a little electronic heater
2 night romance trip Feb 13, 2016
"Excellent breakfast good staff"
Stayed for one night and allocated a clean comfortable modern looking room with larger than average shower/bathroom. Everything worked in the room which, if anything, was too warm although the radiator in the bathroom was not working. The room was at the front of the hotel and despite double glazing there was a lot of traffic and reveller noise into the early hours. However I guess you have to expect this given the age of the building and its location in the city centre. The breakfast was excellent with a good choice with quality ingredients and the food regularly topped up so it did not become baked. The breakfast room staff were particularly friendly and cleared used crockery away quickly and cleaned the table properly after they were used. For some reason the wifi was not working in the room although my phone showed it was connected. Consider parking at the NCP on Lee Circle which is a flat fee of £3.80 for 24 hours but is a 15 minute walk from the hotel.
1 night romance trip Feb 6, 2016
Alan
Rubbish, towel rail was hanging off the wall , light fitting loose on wall , bad smell off stale water when first got in room , had to pay for parking on top of room fee
1 night romance trip Dec 29, 2015
Roger
"Good location and good first impressions but..."
Central location. Hotel looked nice from outside, in public areas and the room itself too. However the room was small and the bathroom wasn't what I would class as 4 star. Also a little annoying to have to pay for parking. Gym very small.
1 night romance trip Jan 23, 2016
Matthew
The room was o.k - but really nothing special and there was no heating until 6pm. Housekeeping did give us an electric heater. The receptionist was efficient but could have been a little more friendly. I'll probably try somewhere else next time.
Other trip Dec 28, 2015
anonymous
Was a pleasant stay. Room was clean and warm through the day and night. Bed was comfortable. The shower was good with a even pressure and temperature. Toilet seat was slightly loose. Disliked how you couldn't open the windows fully, wanted to stick my head out and look around. Parking was £8 an evening which is good considering the area but should be free for residents. Especially as you won't really need your car. Everything you could possibly want is available in the city centre. Staff were smiley, welcoming and courtesy. Room had ironing board, iron and hairdryer which was nice. All in all could be better considering the price. But still a pleasant.
2 night romance trip Dec 23, 2015
"Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel"
Hotel was old and the room was not very nice. Close to the middle of the city, which was handy. I wouldn't stay there again.
2 night romance trip Dec 5, 2015
ben
Amazing stay. Worth every penny. The room was spacious, the staff were friendly, lovely facilities etc
2 night trip with friends Oct 30, 2015
Rahul
"Worst service ever!"
Had the most disgusting experience ever, with the service at this hotel. Receptionist very rude and didn't know the meaning of customer service.
1 night romance trip Oct 31, 2015
Rohan
"Perfection"
Normally when I am staying in hotels there is always something that isnt right. However I have to say I enjoyed my stay throughly. The service was impeccable.In particular during breakfast there was a young man attending to my friend and me....his service was perfect no fault whats so ever.When I asked him questions he was able to answer and do this with an air of quiet confidence. I would go as far as saying hes a credit to his manager and his collegues.Well done and you can count on me returning.
2 night trip with friends Oct 30, 2015
sumita
Me and my husband stayed 2 nights couldn't fault the first night but the second night was terrible. There was a wedding and our room was directly above the disco, my husband went down to complain the girl on the desk said you should of been informed and there's a notice up. Firstly there was no confirmation of this in any email also the sign didn't go up until the Saturday, we booked in on the Friday so never saw this. The noise made the room shake and on booking out I complained again, we was given free parking and offered breakfast but needed to leave early so didn't except the breakfast. I would stay in this hotel again but defiantly check there was nothing on in the hotel. They did nothing to rectify the problem and tbh I don't think free parking was not enough to compensate our dreddful second night stay.
2 night romance trip Oct 23, 2015
Sally
"Elegance in Leicester"
I came for a short break to browse the town. Chose the hotel as very central and has a car park. Also a lovely old Victorian building. Elegant feel to it and all refurbished throughout. My room was a great size and spacious. Bathroom also large but cold - no heating at all - not good for Autumn and winter ! Staff all helpful and polite ( not much warmth and welcome though). I had breakfast which was quite good - buffet choice. Couldn't eat there in evenings as the only restaurant was very expensive. Overall I would recommend it for a short stay like mine.
2 night trip Oct 15, 2015
Lynda
"First class"
Wonderful helpful staff, especially when they realised we had lost our luggage on the train. Couldn't fault the hotel or the staff. Will be back again, thanks for your help.
1 night romance trip Oct 17, 2015
Jes
"Good but cold Hotel"
Check in seamless. Reception staff helpful. Room spacious, clean and quiet (fourth floor). WiFi of reasonably good strength. Breakfast adequate. Two negative points: only one usable electrical socket which was located next to the door! The other point was poor programming of room heating: the heat would get unbearable in the evening and then switch itself off in the early hours of morning making getting up and showering a rather painful experience. For these two points I am docking points on the room comfort category.
3 night business trip Oct 12, 2015
"Id rather swallow my tongue than stay here again."
It was the worst night sleep my husband and I have had all year. We felt dreadful in the morning. Room was slightly better than last year. Usual mould in the bathroom. Excellent helpfull staff. Really lovely people.
1 night romance trip Oct 9, 2015
Catherine
The hotel was hosting an event so was quite noisy. Room was a good size but bathroom door did not close properly which was inconvenient due to lack of privacy.
2 night trip with friends Sep 11, 2015
Came to stay for two nights. The room was lovely but definitely think the bathroom could do with more work. Attentive room service.
2 night business trip Sep 9, 2015
"Perfectly adequate"
Right in the centre of the city and close to everything. Perfectly adequate. Very loud music from a function could be heard in my room until about 1am so take earplugs if you're a light sleeper. Receptionists had the usual 'I'm on the minimum wage' surliness you expect these days.
3 night trip Sep 10, 2015
"good hotel"
we stayed for 2 nights, it was clean and good hotel with private car park and great location,but there are no AC and fridg in the room.
2 night romance trip Aug 9, 2015
HASAN
"Small Room"
An expensive and very small double room. I didn't use other hotel services so I don't know about those, but I'd avoid the place just because of the tiny room.
2 night business trip Aug 17, 2015
"Leicester central comfort and quirkiness"
Comfortable hotel well located in central Leicester, with access to restaurants, bars and shopping areas. Great decor all throughout. Breakfast could've been better though.
2 night family trip Aug 19, 2015
Mohamedrashid
"overnight stay"
Have to say for a 4 star hotel the state of the room was bad staff helpful very noisy stayed in better so called budgethotel
1 night romance trip Aug 7, 2015
"Graduation stay"
Very enjoyable stay with a first class breakfast excellent
2 night family trip Jul 15, 2015
helen
"Fantastic hotel, ideal for the centre of Leicester"
Excellent hotel, really nice room and quiet too. Only downside was I was on the 5th floor and the lift only went to the 4th floor so had to carry luggage up some steep twisty staircases to get to my room. Otherwise, everything was spot on. Would highly recommend!
1 night business trip Jul 29, 2015
JASON
"Check your booking!"
I booked a B&B rate, but on arrival was told it was room only. Receptionist told me she would rectify this, but next morning had to go through the embarrassment of being refused breakfast. It was rectified this time, but dreaded going down on the second morning I case it happened again. Thankfully it didn't. Other than that, it's a nice hotel but something has gone with the refurb.
2 night romance trip Jul 24, 2015
Brenda
"convenient for railway station and city centre"
In spite of my having booked and paid for a room with breakfast included, each time I went for breakfast, I was asked my room number and, on giving it, was told I had not booked for breakfast. This was very annoying as I knew I had. On arrival my key card did not work and as I was on the 3rd floor I had to go down to Reception to ask about this. The receptionist swiped my card and I went up and tried again but it still did not work and when I complained again apparently I had been given the card for the room opposite. The waste paper basket was useless as the bottom of it had come away; the cleaner must have been aware of this but had done nothing about it. The hotel itself had had a very tasteful refurbishmentn and had retained the beautiful wooden doors and staircases which I had remembered from many years previously.
Other trip Jul 28, 2015
andrade
A grand old hotel, slightly crusty in the corners but with a modern twist. Breakfast restaurant manager a touch terse with his 'processing' of guests but otherwise OK
1 night business trip Jul 21, 2015
The hotel was lovely and very welcoming. I think there should be air con in bedrooms as it was very humid and the windows only opened a little bit. Speaking with other residents and they said the same thing especially with the price of the room.
1 night romance trip Jul 18, 2015
alan
"Nice hotel but slow restaurant service."
Stayed here for business - Wifi code didn't work so ended up just using my own data via a dongle. I called for room service but the phone just kept ringing - This was a Tuesday Night and there were two tables of people in the restaurant so I couldn't understand why there was no answer. I ended up going down to the restaurant where it took ages for someone to actually seat me. The wait for food was very long, I had wanted room service as I needed to work in my room but thought going to the restaurant may be quicker. I left and hour and a half later which was crazy considering that I was now the only person in the restaurant. I had the same story for breakfast, it took another customer to flag a member of staff in my direction to be seated. Fortunately breakfast was a buffet so once you are seated you no longer have to wait for service. Staff were friendly when I did see them but the slow service really took away from what would have been an enjoyable stay. I would stay again but I wouldn't eat in the restaurant which claims to be a great Marco Pierre White Italian, a real shame!
1 night business trip Jul 13, 2015
Rebecca
"Lovely hotel for weekend away"
Was visiting for a wedding. Location was spot on. The hotel itself was lovely, very modern. Would stay again.
2 night family trip Jul 3, 2015
Molly
"we were not disappointed"
stayed at the Mercure for a trip to the races. Our room was faultless however I understand others have yet to be refurbished. The reception area, bar and restaurant were salubrious yet comfortable. Nothing was to much for the staff, everyone was friendly, professional and helpful
2 night trip with friends Jul 3, 2015
Georgina
Great hotel, will definitely stay again!
1 night trip with friends Jul 4, 2015
Excellent stay...all you need for business trip. Clean room, good location and excellent wifi.
1 night business trip Jun 15, 2015
Mohammed
"A bit of a mish-mash"
Wonderful. So the only my onlybgripe reallybwas regarding my friend who I shared a double bed with and I hate sharing double beds THE ONE NIGHT extra night which I spent on my own however was ABSOLUTELY PERFECT with a bath AND shower and I liked the little notice you could python the door handle saying don't disturb I sleep context time If there is I will wear it round my neck as I am lying next to, you friend in bed!
2 night trip with friends Mar 26, 2015
MS G R
Stayed here 2 nights b&b for a wedding recently. A very pleasent hotel which we thought was good value for the price we paid. Food was ok and the service recieved from the ladies on the front desk was excellent. I was surprised that i had to pay £8 a day for parking though ? But there seemed to be little other option in and around Leicester. Not that its a huge amount, just surprised as it isn't mentioned anywhere on your booking confirmation. So overall i reckon above average hence 4.
2 night romance trip Jun 6, 2015
"Great stay, nice refurbishment to hotel"
Excellent stay. Recent refurbishments to the hotel has really improved it, excellent quality of bar, restaurant and communal areas in the hotels. Really impressed!
1 night trip with friends May 16, 2015
Aaron
"Mercure Leicester - Pleasant and Simple"
Really nice hotel in the heart of Leicester City Centre. Very close to shopping, food and night life!
1 night business trip Mar 6, 2015
"Good central location"
Good hotel. Better than I expected for the price. It is nicely decorated although the room was pretty small and a bit noisy with some late night revellers outside on the Saturday night, but I guess we were out pretty late too! Breakfast was good, staff friendly with a nice bar and DJ doing some wee tunes in the front bar area. Only issue was that the reception staff didn't mention the discount for the parking, so we ended up paying quite a bit for parking, when we would have got a lot off if we had known. I would recommend this hotel.
Other trip May 15, 2015
Megan
"Grand stay"
Fantastic stay excellent service friendly staff very helpful. Only disappointment was the expensive car parking charge although it is city centre parking.
1 night trip with friends May 8, 2015
"weekend"
good location great stay
1 night trip with friends May 9, 2015
nigel
"Standard hotel close to town centre"
Hotel was clean, kind of small room, very hot! (But could of been the time of year). There was a wedding on, music very loud until 1 am - didn't bother us that much, but could have other guests with children etc. Great location right near town centre. Staff were okay. Good added bonus of parking being £8 until the next evening. Wouldn't stay there for more than a night, but as out of the hotel most of the time it served its purpose. Bed was comfy.
Other trip May 11, 2015
"Not as good as previous stays"
We've stayed here before, this time we arrived early, but couldn't check in to our room & were told by Reception to return at 2pm. Returning after 2pm we still couldn't check in to our room (the receptionist was obvious challenged by housekeeping when she was expediting our room as she had to confirm to that the time was 2.10pm), so we swapped with our daughters room, as we wanted to get down to the rugby ground, before the 3pm K.O. As we had visited on our own before, we had told our teenage daughter what to expect; unfortunately the rooms were half the size, and regarding the bathrooms - they both seemed to have entered a 1970'd time warp. If you are wanting a bath when you stay at the Grand, and you average size, I found you will be constraint on width of the bath. On returning from the match we had a drink in the reception foyer bar; putting the drinks on our room by informing of our room number, confirming surname & signing chitty. We went out had some food, returned to the same hotel bar & this time I was told I should bring my room id card in future. The noise from the street below can be irritating, but I think you have to recognise it is a city centre location. Breakfast was much better organised than the last time we visited, with all of the cooked breakfast available. I did give some of this feed back when we settled the bar bill & the receptionist (who had dealt with us the previous day) graciously removed the car parking charge from the bill.
1 night family trip Apr 25, 2015
"Night out in Leicester"
Room was miles from reception and a rabbit Warren of corridors. Bedroom was fine but bathroom was quite poor with very low water pressure and noisy cistern which didn't flush to well. Didn't eat at the hotel as it was quite expensive.
1 night romance trip Apr 10, 2015