All hotels in Norfolk, Virginia, United States of America
700 Monticello Avenue, Norfolk, VA, 23510, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

2.9
    2.9
"Nice visit to Norfolk"
We came to Norfolk for 4th of July fireworks.The hotel was in walking distance to the fireworks show. The location was near the restaurants on Granby Street, the mall and the tide. Front desk people were super friendly. The hotel is older, but the room was clean and the a/c worked great!
1 night romance trip Jul 4, 2015
Tammy
"Excellent my name is Joyce not George"
It was wonderful very clean
2 night family trip Jun 26, 2015
"Ok hotel bad neighborhood"
At first sight the entry was grand, but went inside the lady at the desk couldn't find my reservation. That took a while. Then had to pay ($10. Each vehicle)To park my vehicles in their parking lot after paying 199.00 of my room for one night.
1 night family trip Jun 13, 2015
Andrea
"easy to find"
Easy to find, near to places I wanted to go. Room needs some updating to do though - it looks a bit outdated. Need more lighting in the bathroom.
1 night trip Jun 9, 2015
sri
"Lipstick on a pig"
Pics are totally misleading. Bad neighborhood. Basically lipstick on a pig. Never again...it's a dump.
1 night romance trip May 23, 2015
"Not worth it"
Did not have room ready. Waited almost 1 hour before they had it ready. Checked in at 7:30 p.m. and even called ahead of time to make sure it was set. All they offered was an apology. Front desk was understaffed and unable to address issues regarding room, etc. Room itself had a malfunctioning thermostat and bed was "deflated". All said, we will not stay there again.
2 night family trip May 22, 2015
"Great central location, clean, and quiet."
Visited family in Norfolk area. Very nice clean room for the location and price. Also nice and quiet. Only downside was paying an extra $10 for nightly parking and the stale smell of cigarette smoke in our room. Note to self - bring Fabreeze next time!
2 night family trip May 14, 2015
Timothy
"Excellent Location and Staff, Disappointing Room"
This was a one night stay to attend a concert downtown. Location could not have been better as we could walk to the venue in 5 minutes. The hotel itself is clean and in decent visual condition. The staff is very pleasant. Two major downsides effecting room comfort: The room HVAC would not sufficiently cool the room, could not get it below 80 degrees and the unit would cycle every 20 minutes or so with about 10 minutes of noise which was so bad it would wake you making sleep next to impossible. We were exhausted come morning because of this problem. The other concern is no matter how hard we tried or how long we waited hot water for the shower never materialized. I need to have a shower in the morning to start my day and not having one made the sleepless night even more miserable. When we told the staff about these issues upon check-out they were very apologetic but no effort was made to compensate for the inconvenience. While we were not looking for a free stay a discount would be appropriate. Would we stay again? Probably but only if other similarly located and priced accommodations were unavailable.
1 night romance trip May 9, 2015
"Not what we expected from a Wyndham Hotel"
Our room was very warm for our 5 night stay. The air conditioner wasn't working properly despite attempts to have it fixed by maintenance . There were actual birds living in the window unit that chirped continuously. There is a $10. PER DAY parking fee also! I would not recommend for anyone to stay at this hotel
5 night family trip May 2, 2015
"Beds, had two doubles"
One bed very firm, uncomfortable. Sleep mumber does not work. After two nights i tried other bed. Much better
Other trip Apr 29, 2015
"Close to the Scope"
If you are going to an event at the Scope Center or want to visit downtown this is only a block from the Scope and an easy walk. There is ample parking at hotel at only $10.00 a day. The huge lobby is newly decorated in shades of white/black/ silver and touches of red. The 2 double bedded room had comfort controlled matresses, bathroom was small. Had bkfst at the hotel because it was raining in the am, and it was good and a reasonable price for a city hotel.
2 night romance trip Apr 24, 2015
"Wyndham?"
The heat didn't work the ice machine didn't work there was a big dip in the bed and if you sit on the edge of the bed the front and flipped up The neighborhood was not so great. The staff was fantastic but could not offer any solutions to any problem. Too much money for that room
1 night trip with friends Apr 25, 2015
LISA
"Only good thing, across the street from Scope."
Registration desk employee was not real friendly and he did not have a professional appearance. Walls in room patched and not repainted. Carpeting coming up from the floor. Mirrors washed with dirty water. Good thing sheets were clean and no bed bugs. Hallways smelled. Only one employee in the Black Tuna Bar and Grill. She was the waitress, bartender, and bus boy.
Other trip Apr 27, 2015
Lyn
"Staying in ghetto"
The hotel is not as close to downtown as I thought it would be. It was located right next to the projects. Fortunately the view from my room was of the hockey arena. They did have a nice workout room so I was able to run each day. They have sleep number beds, but only one side worked. Not all desk staff are friendly. My room had a hole in the closet door, a hole in the carpet, cracked tile in the bathroom and cracks in the ceiling. Definitely needs updating and would not stay there again.
5 night family trip Apr 17, 2015
"satisfactory"
Staff is very nice but despite renovations, the hotel has an unpleasant smell inside. Phone in room didn't work correctly, and I received wake up calls at 5:30 am each day despite not requesting them and complaining after 1st night. Dim lights in room.
Other trip Apr 16, 2015
"Great location, needs major update"
This independent hotel recently became part of the Wyndham group - I hope they have a bunch of money to invest, because this place needs it! The desk staff was nice, but super-casual about his job. The lobby decor is weird, the room had a deadbolt lock that allowed the door to be opened slightly - you could see in. Great location right across the street from the Scope arena in Norfolk, so should be totally booked, but wasn't - now I know why.
Other trip Mar 20, 2015
"Give Wyndham a chance!"
Wyndham has only had this hotel under its banner for about one month. Previously, it was not part of any chain. This likely explains any negatives we had, e.g., no large lit signage (arriving at night, we drove right by it!), dark-ish lobbies, e.g., main lobby, elevator lobby, due to intended dark lighting and dark wallpaper. The parking lot requires walking up approximately a 30-step staircase. Anyone mobility-impaired would have to walk around to the front of the building to access the long, curving ramp to reach the lobby level.
Other trip Mar 17, 2015
Jim and Ruth
"honest review"
Horrible. My tempurpedic bed did not work, the tv did not work, and the hotel did not have a welcoming atmosphere. My second day there, I went to the only restaurant in the hotel for breakfast; it was so disappointing. There was no one to sit me to my table, the coffee was self serve. I took a look around and did not see anyone available to help. My room was clean, but overall the furnishings were very old and outdated. It was not worth the money, and I would not stay there again. Also to note, there is $10 charge for parking overnite. You have no choice, since the hotel is located in the bad part of town, and not to mention no street parking is available.
2 night trip Mar 6, 2015
jun
"When you have no option(s)"
It is a unique OLD building. The elevator was having issues. This hotel is used for residence as well for civilian contracted naval seas workers. Tv was damaged in the room the heater/AC was faulty. Pillows too soft to support and aide in comfortable sleep. Bathroom so tight you have to do whatever with door opened. The plus is that it is close to everything. I stayed two days.
2 night business trip Mar 6, 2015
"Not worth the price"
The staff tried their best to make a bad situation better. From the sink being clogged and the lack of hot water to the jet engine that acted as the heating unit and the elevators literally shaking the room, the facility was not in good shape. The only redeeming quality was the staff was quit friendly and made their best efforts to be hospitable.
Other trip Feb 22, 2015
"Ice cold lobby"
No heat in the lobby, restaurant or hallways in the middle of winter!!! 3 problems with the room which were not fixed: 1.) drawers on dresser always open because dresser was tilted forwards 2.) sink drain plugged 3.) shower curtain collected in the middle, no way to keep water going out the edge My parents room had no heat but they were moved to a new room which had heat
3 night family trip Feb 14, 2015
Edward
"great weekend when we werent in the hotel"
The sleep number didn't work, and the ceiling was decaying. Parking is 10.00 a day not just for the duration of your stay. The location is great in Norfolk tho.
3 night romance trip Feb 13, 2015
bradlee
"I know were I WON'T be staying again"
Headboard fell off the wall while my wife and I were sleeping. Heater broke overnight. Called Front desk early morning, but no one available. Walked to the front and no one was there to assist. On the front desk counter was the names and room numbers of every hotel guest. Called from desk again around 8:30 am and was told an engineer would come to fix it. No one ever came by the time we checked out at 11 am. Worst experience for valentine's weekend.
1 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015
Jesse
"Not a good experience."
This hotel has a lot of negatives for a hotel of this price. 1. The room had a musty smell. 2. They charge a $10 fee for parking a day. It's not something they tell you until you check in and it's too late to cancel. The staff gives you as a reason for the parking charge that you have to pay for parking anywhere in downtown, which isn't true because we found free parking on the street downtown when we went out to eat. 3. The hotel is right across the street from project housing. 4. Although the rooms were supposed to be refurbished, there was chipping paint on the ceiling in the bathroom and the silver ring for the shower head was not attached to the wall. Find something else if you can.
1 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015
Deanna
"Bad days and sleepless nights!"
I will NEVER book this hotel again! It's shabby and in need of a customer service overhaul. My cab driver explained that the hotel has been under new management about 4 or 5 times in the last couple of years. The beds were uncomfortable, the pillows needed replacing and please don't bother to ask the Front Desk staff for anything as they were useless and unhelpful. The hotel is in a bad neighborhood but probably was a good place about 10 or 15 years ago. I was very unsatisfied with my stay!
4 night business trip Feb 8, 2015
Kelsey Hamilton-Layer
Seems to have improved since the name changed from the Norfolk plaza hotel. Toiletries are of better quality as well.
Other trip Feb 9, 2015
"Beautiful but awful room"
We were told that we were the lucky guest of the day. This meant we were upgraded to a King Suite. How cool is that? At 11:00 p.m. We complained about the noises buzz and humm that made it impossible to sleep. Housekeeping admitted our room sat on top of a transformer and it was always noisy. I come to Norfolk to see my doctor and need to sleep! They gave us a new room. The hotel wasn't full! Why did they "upgrade" us to a terrible room? I thought I was treating us to a special night and paid more than I needed to. . . and instead, we were sooooo disappointed. Virginia Schweninger
Other trip Feb 4, 2015
virginia
"Beware"
Not worth the money... I got to my room that had no room number on it, with a door that was broken, just to be surprised by a broken heater..not one for writing bad reviews, but this place was just about as nasty as the attitude's of the employees..
7 night business trip Jan 5, 2015
jim
Very old hotel with a "face lift". Rooms were dark and dingy. No information in the room on how anything works. A/C - heat was a very old unit and smelled when it came on. Staff was nice. Don't expect anything special when staying here except for a sleep number bed which is a mystery on how to use until you call the front desk and they explain.
Other trip Jan 8, 2015
Beautiful outside and lobby of the hotel, but the room smelt musty and smelt like smoke even though it was a non smoking room. The front desk was not friendly and seemed annoyed by questions we asked.
1 night romance trip Dec 26, 2014
"No! No! No!"
It cost extra to park. The building is VERY old and the carpet smells
1 night romance trip Dec 17, 2014
Sherry
"Not terrible but not great."
Beautiful lobby upon entering. Front desk staff was very nice. Charles checked me in, he did a great job. He was courteous, knowledgeable and quick. There was no wait but I did check in later in the evening. The room was clean but not in great condition. The hotel was clearly older and has been updated slightly. The vanity in the bathroom was way too low. Tile in the shower had poorly done patch work. Air conditioner in room was not correctly placed in the wall. This did not have any effect on performance but added to the worn down appearance of the room. Furniture and bed were modern and comfortable. The true disappointment came from my showering experience. There was no hot water, so I took a quick cold shower. The other disappointment was the quality of towels. They were worn very thin and they were small. I didn't complain because I was only there for one night. The hotel was close to the event I needed to attend and was relatively inexpensive.
Other trip Dec 19, 2014
"Convenient location, but awkward entry."
Hotel is located at split in road with entry on both sides. Parking is on street level, but entrance is one level up by stairs or drive up ramp that is hard to find. Hotel undergoing renovation as Wyndham takes over.
1 night business trip Dec 5, 2014
George D
"Thanksgiving weekend"
My stay was very comfortable.
3 night romance trip Nov 27, 2014
roslyn
"Don't waste your time or money."
I spent 4 nights here with my girlfriend. The only thing good about the hotel was the Location. The sleep number bed never worked, the staff was unpleasant and didnt seem to enjoy their job. Only one ice machine in the building which was a huge inconvenience. The bathrooms are very small. The hotel in general is old and it shows. I Would never spend another night there.
4 night romance trip Nov 26, 2014
"False Advertising + TERRIBLE Service = AVOID"
Avoid this hotel at all costs. Originally booked for Saturday night through Tuesday morning, but plans changed so I contacted Hotels.com to update my stay to have check-in be Sunday night and check-out still be on Tuesday...FOUR DAYS IN ADVANCE. Received change confirmation email from Hotels.com and thought all was well. Was very surprised on Saturday when I saw my card had been charged when we hadn't checked into the hotel. Upon arrival I immediately asked the concierge why I was charged and I was informed their system had not been updated to show that our check in was now Sunday, not Saturday. I showed him the confirmation email from Hotels.com AND called Hotels.com to verify the change had been made (it had), but he refused to offer me a refund or apply the amount that was charged to my bill. He was unsympathetic and uncaring and offered no solutions whatsoever. I asked to speak to the manager, but he was out for the day. Came back the next morning, and there was a girl behind the desk that I spoke to and she immediately fixed the problem, saying she would apply the amount I was charged to my bill at checkout. Five days after checkout though, my account was showing a refund plus a charge, and the original amount I was billing was erased from my account. It was all very sketchy and confusing, and to just ice the cake...the room was not NEAR as nice as the ones pictured online. Avoid avoid avoid!
2 night romance trip Nov 16, 2014
Paige
"Cool Plaza Hotel"
Very good place to stay !
1 night trip with friends Nov 8, 2014
Merl
"Nice hotel, but interesting first impression"
I had an interesting stay. It wasn't bad, but different. After parking my car, it took me a while to find an entrance to the building. I think I entered in a side door and it seemed a little sketchy with people smoking and drinking there. After opening the door, all I could hear was loud club music, but I was close to the bar/restaurant and I got to the hotel at 10pm (just to let ya know.) After walking into the lobby I was very surprised to see fancy decorations and a beautiful lobby. I was then surprised again to find out that I was the guest of the day, which meant I got a free upgrade to a suite and my $10 parking fee was waived. When I got to my suite they had a very nice letter and goodie bag waiting for me. I also had towels in the shape of a swan on my bed--so fancy! I guess my only recommendation would have been for signs to have directed me to the front entrance, so I wouldn't have been weirded out upon entering the hotel. Other than that, my stay was great!
1 night trip Oct 17, 2014
"Norfolk Plaza Review"
The room was very large and very clean. The staff was friendly. The restaurant food was quite good. Sadly, the restaurant is not well patronized. I would stay at the hotel again.
3 night trip with friends Oct 10, 2014
Theodore
"Hotel staff"
My stay at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel was not pleasant. After leaving Norfolk State University's homecoming activities and returning to the room around 11:00 pm, i was shocked to see people yelling, opening and slamming doors, and running through the hallways. I notified the hotel staff. Instead of hotel security taking the lead and resolving the situation, i was forced to move to another room on the 12th floor. I paid for a king bedroom suite, but ended up sleeping on a queen size bed with the wife. I honestly believed the security person on duty and the staffer condoned the situation, because they either knew the people involved or just did not care about customer's services.
1 night trip Oct 11, 2014
"Up in a puff of smoke"
I found the "smoking area" at the side door a bit challenging. It was constantly "adorned" by people needing a break, but also it seemed that some of these people were just "visiting" THE PREMISES. This whole area detracted from the elegance of the main lobby and foyer.
3 night family trip Oct 10, 2014
"Ok."
The decore was great, but the hotel couldve scaled back on that to address some of the more functional.
2 night trip with friends Oct 10, 2014
"very convenient location"
Returned again for the quality and convenience. We also enjoyed a dinner downstairs, beautiful sunset from our suite before going to the Theatre....
1 night trip with friends Sep 26, 2014
Renate
I just needed a place to sleep and the bed was really uncomfortable so I can't rate the place highly. Wifi was so slow it was unusable. Other than that, it was a standard hotel room. It won't kill you.
1 night business trip Sep 7, 2014
"Decent Service"
We arrived late but was able to get a free upgrade. Service was decent, employees need training on how to be more professional. Overall we enjoyed our stay.
2 night trip Sep 5, 2014
"Not impressed"
Lobby smelled like smoke. Sheets and shower looked dirty. Mechanical units in room were loud and kept me up all night.
Other trip Sep 5, 2014
shelley
Hotel is downtown not too far from the beach. Plenty fast food chains in the area. The decor of the hotel is very modern. Service was really great and they were willing to help make the stay was comfortable. There was a problem with the elevators, but was provided a solution to get to the rooms and fixed promptly.
2 night family trip Aug 29, 2014
"The hotel was not what we expected."
The hotel lobby is very attractive and it would lead one to believe that the room would look equally nice. Before, we settled into our room, we were met with an undesirable experience--a broken elevator. We were requested to take the service elevator. Once we arrived at our room, the door required an extra push to open. The door to the closet had a patched hole that was not quite finished. The refrigerator did not look clean or maybe it was the rust on the shelves. The sleep number control for the bed did not work. The air conditioner seemed to make a dripping water noise from the unit above us throughout the night which led to limited rest. Lastly, we called the front desk to request towels and never received them. Parking is advertised as $7 but we paid $10. Overall, I think the hotel appears to have some potential but there is still some work that needs to be done.
Other trip Sep 1, 2014
Vex
"Fun Bargain Stay in Norfolk"
This was the 4th or 5th stay at the Norfolk Plaza and since the first time the friendliness of the staff, the fun atmosphere at the bar and the tasty food has remained the same. There don't seem to be any bad view rooms in this place ... I have experienced the sun rise over the ocean, the sun set over the harbor, the city lights ... Renovation has proceeded quietly and the rooms exhibiting now a clean, relaxed and quiet comfort and wireless access is now accessible even on the upper floors.. What I most appreciate at the Norfolk Plaza is the diverse and multi-cultural clientel ... College Students on a field trip next to Navy and Merchant Marine Officers and Captains next to a Wedding party next to retirees, vacationers and business travellers. Enjoy the many draft beers and the seared tuna at the bar ... no need to leave the hotel to look for a restaurant. For drivers: there is always a space on the parking lot on the premises for $10 the night.
Other trip Aug 28, 2014
Ivo
"never again!"
The two positives I can say is that the staff is friendly and the lobby is nice. That's where it ends. The roomed smelled like mildew and the ac unit was too loud. The shower head was coming out of the wall and at least one outlet lacked a cover. The desk was too wobbily to use. There were two beds. Only one sleep number device worked, if I turned the surge protector on and off. Only one towel in the bathroom. There was also a charge for parking as if o had a choice to park somewhere else. I paid almost $200 for this room. I wouldn't have paid half that if I'd known what I was getting into!
1 night trip Aug 22, 2014