All hotels in Norfolk, Virginia, United States of America
You can collect Welcome Rewards® nights here700 Monticello Avenue, Norfolk, VA, 23510, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

2.9
    2.9
"Pictures do not tell one thousand words!!"
Sleep number beds did not work...holes in the walls... bathroom door would not close.. place hadn't looked vacuumed. . Shady area..projects across the street and welfare office also across the street. Staff was limited.. restaurant was terrible half the items on the menu are not available. . Over 900 rooms only 10 chairs around the pool and most were broken... not handicap accessible. ..lots of stairs and only 1 elevator worked at a time.. parking lot floods BAD.. outlets hanging out of walls... the place was run down and dirty and right in the middle of the hood... never again..
Other trip Jul 27, 2014
Aimee
"Norfolk Plaza"
This hotel needs a serious maintenance crew. I never noticed so many broken things at one hotel before. The staff was friendly though very limited.
4 night trip Jul 20, 2014
Jae
"Place is falling apart"
First thing- the parking is down a flight of steps, and confusing to get to from the front. You have to take your luggage up a weird flight of steps just to get in the front door. Bad first impression. Our room on the 12th floor showed signs of water damage- the ceiling and window were dirty and stained. There was loose plaster on the floor. Also, there were sleep number beds but they didn't work, so your only setting was hard as rock. We complained to the front desk and they said they would move us that night. When we got back to the hotel after dinner, all other rooms had been sold, and they didn't reserve one for us. The next morning I spoke to the head of customer relations, who was very nice. I feel bad b/c they're obviously dealing with a hotel w/ problems and ownership that doesn't care. He moved us to a room on the 9th floor, which was clean, but the toilet ran the entire time we were there. Didn't just run, it flushed non-stop for the entire time. Also, our room on the 12 floor had no comforter. I just assumed they didn't have comforters at this hotel. But when we moved our new room did have comforters. So weird. If they took half the money they spent on remodeling the lobby, and put it towards fixing their rooms, they'd be in much better shape. The lobby being so nice is ridiculous. Who cares about your fancy chandelier when the rooms are falling apart? What is wrong with you?
Other trip Jul 25, 2014
"Didn't feel safe"
I generally have no issue with checking in early with hotels. However, not only did the staff tell me they were not willing to accommodate my request, but they insulted me for even asking. The next strike was realizing the hotel was located in a very unsafe area. We found a few reviews after seeing the location which suggested that theft was huge in both the parking lot and within the rooms themselves. Next came the flickering power over the course of a half hour and an outdoor pool overlooking a main roadway. Our hotel room didn't have a deadbolt on it (just the screw holes where it should be) either, making us feel even less safe. Our shower head faced the center of the bathroom, where if you put the water to warm - the room would flood, so we had to take a cold shower. The beds were sleep by number - ours didn't work, so we tossed and turned on the hard mattress all night while attempting to sleep. Finally, they charge you $10 per car. There were 4 of us in 1 car and stayed in 2 rooms. Despite us informing the hotel we only had 1 vehicle, they still charged us for 2. To avoid a very stressful evening - do not stay in this hotel!!
1 night trip Jul 11, 2014
Jill
"Pretty Nasty, especially for the price"
Severely disappointed. Not very clean or new, lots of folks hanging around outside, dirty nightclub feel inside, things broken (door locks, bathroom fixtures), and overall "run-down" feeling. Staff was relatively courteous, but seemed overworked and didn't care overly much. Bed had a huge dip and needed to be replaced. For the price, terribly disappointed.
Other trip Jul 14, 2014
Matthew
Despite arriving early and being told our room with two beds was being cleaned, we returned to find they'd given it away, and could only offer us a King. After much complaining, we got a room with 2 beds - both sleep number beds, and both broken, one so badly that the left side was a brick wall and the right had no air whatsoever... Coupled with the AC being broken, an elevator being out of order, and bust entrance door, I imagine the rooms couldn't be much better. AND, it was overpriced... Avoid.
1 night trip Jul 4, 2014
"Self service hotel"
If you are a do - it - yourself type, you will love this place because nobody will assist you with anything except for the maintenance guy. First night there was only hot water in the shower. Day 2 nobody bothered to clean the room. Neighborhood is sprawling with gorgeous project housing and is only minutes from the next COPS episode.
3 night family trip Jun 28, 2014
"love the experience"
Me and my hubby planned a last minute trip to va beach, all the good hotels on the beach were booked. So we picked this place...it was nice, clean, and not too far from the beach. The staff was very helpful. The room renovated and nice. Great experience, for a good price
2 night trip Jun 27, 2014
"Convenient, economical parking."
This hotel is very convenient. It is situated very close to venues and entertainment. The room I stayed in was well maintained. The lighting is poor, particularly in the lavatory. Poor lighting there tends to hide many sins. It is a very tall building; the view is great above the fifth floor. I stayed in the ninth. one drawback for me as a non smoker, was continually running into hotel staff and guests smoking at the perimeter of the building at various entrances. While I understand smokers need to tend to their future health problems, I feel it is inappropriate for non smokers to have to parade through a cloud smoke to enter the building. Self parking is abundant and economical.
Other trip Jun 24, 2014
Dr Frank
"Good Price For an Average Stay"
The room was clean and comfortable and the price was good. Unlike most hotels in this price range there was no breakfast included in the price. I very much disliked that the only way to access the lobby from the parking lot was by a long, rather steep, outdoor staircase and would steer away from staying here again for that reason.
2 night trip Jun 10, 2014
"Experience"
Good location for walking to downtown, the only thing I would have like is a continental breakfast
Other trip Jun 2, 2014
"Adequate if you don't have another option"
Very pleasant staff - and that's about the end of it. The decor is hideous, the appointments ancient and/or broken. For example, the sleep number beds deflate within a few minutes. The lighting fixture in the bathroom was broken. The comforters are twin size stretched across double beds. The toiletries are from the Dollar store. The TV is a Zenith tube type circa 1980. It met my needs for a few hours sleep, but for the money stay at a chain.
1 night trip May 30, 2014
"Room condition is fine. But service is average"
The first day I moved in, there is no Internet Service in the room. It took like 2 hours until the front desk figured out that it is their problem and changed to a room in the other side to pick up Wifi signals. I can understand that the hardware problem happens. But they should not take 2 hours to solve the problem. The room itself is nice.
3 night business trip May 27, 2014
Lei
"walking distance from restaurants"
Pool was not in operation and we were there 4 days with sunshine every day. The hotel did not appear to have any "concern" in getting the pool up and running. Did not see anyone working on it. Housekeeping only happened one day while we were there. Granted we did not leave the room until around 11am. We were told it would get cleaned the 3rd day while we were out. Returned 3hrs later and it had not happened. We were provided with clean towels however.
4 night trip May 23, 2014
LA
Friendly staff and nice lobby. Rooms have been updated by drywall issues where it looks like water damage in ceiling.
2 night trip May 21, 2014
Perk0886
"Just Average"
I would not stay at Norfolk Plaza again. The room was average. There was no remote for the out-dated TV. When I the remote was requested it was supplied promptly, but several of the buttons did not work. There was a constant annoying "ticking" noise coming from the air conditioning unit. The room was equipped with "Sleep Number" beds, however, the buttons on the controllers did not work. The good thing is that it was walking distance to bars, the mall, and restaurants, but also directly cross the street from a high crime area.
3 night trip May 21, 2014
"Would Stay again"
My family and I stayed here and it was great. There were two problems however; 1. the wifi was not working and 2. the pool was closed (they didn't say why). Other then those two things everything was great. The staff was friendly, the room was clean, the beds were nice (once you adjusted them of course), the bathroom was clean, but we could have used more towels and wash cloths, and it was quite. Would stay again for sure.
1 night trip May 25, 2014
"DISSAPPOINTED"
The pictures on the website is very deceiving the hotel needs an upagrade, everything in there is old and it shows, the pool was closed the whole 2 days, not worth the stay
Other trip May 28, 2014
"Go somewhere else!!"
Hotel smelled old and musty right when you walked in. Drove through the projects to get there, then had a view of them from our room. Bad area. No working coffee maker in room. No free ANYTHING in the lobby, just wanted coffee and they wanted to charge for that. Check in staff were extremely kind and helpful. Still wouldn't recommend. Not worth it.
Other trip May 27, 2014
"Not totally pleased"
$10 to park in an area that you have to walk up a fairly steep flight of stairs was way over the top. I am 67 with a bad right knee and the stairs were painful. TV was very old and small. No channel listing in room. No hotel directory in room. Water dripping from upper floor (on the outside, not inside) awoke me and made me think water was pouring into our room. The bill was dropped off by someone playing rap music extremely loud at 5 AM. NOT COOL!!!!
Other trip May 25, 2014
Eileen
Felt like I was at a Casino. It was a bad flood. I felt the hotel should have roped off the flood area to protect the cars of it's guest
1 night trip May 15, 2014
Val
We came in late after a night in Norfolk. The staff was helpful with getting us set up an into our room. The room was comfortable and extremely clean. This hotel was defiantly one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in.
Other trip May 19, 2014
"Very spacious!"
After enduring a 3.5 hour flight delay and an after midnight arrival, I greatly looked forward to a good night's rest. I was not disappointed. Upon entering my room I walked into an alcove with a full beverage bar, separate living room and a good size bedroom. Because it had rained heavily the night before several streets in the area were flooded so I did not get out and walk the area and explore its offerings. Gratefully, I was granted a late check-out.
1 night trip with friends May 15, 2014
"not the greatest"
Room smelled horrible, expensive for what it was
3 night business trip May 4, 2014
Brandon
"Dirty, smelly room and hallways."
Room was in poor condition, torn carpets, damage to walls and smelled old and dirty. Bathroom is the smallest I have ever used besides a port-a-potty. I would NOT recommend this place to a friend. Also located in bad part of downtown, situated between the projects and the Freyhpund Bus station, enough said!
Other trip May 12, 2014
Norfolk Travels
The stay was fine with the exception of I placed a mastercard on file when I reserved the 2 rooms. When i arrived I placed the 2 rooms on a visa and told them not to charge the mastercard. they went ahead and charged the master card. After several phone calls to the hotel I have had no response. i only hope they will not charge the Visa as well. Will not stay there again due to the mix up with the charges.
1 night trip Apr 30, 2014
Leland E Beale III
"The Walls Could Talk"
Room was nice but the bed was too hard, felt like a stiff board and not a mattress.. the sleep number system didn't work. The walls are tissue paper thin. I could hear everything the next door occupants said and if they were near the adjoining door, it was if they were in the room with me.
2 night trip May 2, 2014
AJ
"problems in and out"
The photos on line were misleading, I expected a funky fun boutique hotel. Not the case, interesting decor in the lobby, but it ended there.Staff and guests congregating at the entrance smoking - YUCK. When I arrived there was no water in the hotel - they told me it would be on in an hour after some repairs (no big deal - everyone has repairs), but it took several hours to come on. The key card did not work, I had to go back downstairs. The locking mechanism was broken on the door and I could not close the door after I got into the room.
2 night business trip Apr 28, 2014
AC
"We had a great day!"
I have read many room next reviews on this hotel and went in a little afraid of what to expect in my room. As many others have said, the lobby is absolutely beautiful. Upon getting into my room I was surprised to find it modern, attractive and clean. There was no flat screen TV, but that really is not a big deal to me. The only things that I would change is for the TV to get more channels, and for the beds to be bigger. I had two double beds in certainly would have preferred queens. Besides that everything was attractive and well-maintained. We had a meal in the restaurant which was both priced very well for a hotel restaurant and our meals were quite good. The only complaint about the restaurant is that both days we went there is only one bartender who doubles as a server. If the bar is very busy and you want service on the dining side it may take a wild for you to get your food. We came at just the right time where we were able to be served quickly, but I know many who came after us who complained about the wait. Overall this was a very nice hotel for the price and served our needs just fine. It was a straight shot to the Virginia Beach convention center which was our reason for the trip and much cheaper than staying in the hotels on the beach.
2 night trip May 2, 2014
Tracie
Large hotel in the downtown Norfolk area. Somewhat past its prime, but still OK. Only wish parking was free.
Other trip May 5, 2014
"Seems dated"
No problems with the staff at all. No problems with room cleanliness. The place just wasn't very classy. As we walked in the back entrance from where we parked there were three indigent looking men sitting at the door smoking. As we walked through the door, there was a smell of hospital or mold, I'm not sure which. The room was ok although the bathroom could have been a bit bigger (maybe two sinks?)
Other trip May 4, 2014
DMJ
"Retro, but not the good kind of retro"
Decoration in the lobby looked cheap. 1st room I was sent to had no room number on it and the key didn't work(twice) 2nd room worked and had a room number Furnishings and bathrooms looked aged - not old, just aged. Nothing 'fresh' about the hotel. The little sample shampoo bottle was only half full, which made me question several other aspects of my stay.
Other trip May 1, 2014
"CONVENIENT TO THE SCOPE"
CONVENIENT TO THE SCOPE, CLEAN, FRIENDLY STAFF .STILL HAVE THE BIG BOX TV'S BUT THEY WORK. WE WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR
1 night trip Apr 26, 2014
GEORGE
"Very nice hotel"
The Jr. Suite was a lot smaller than I thought it would be.
Other trip Apr 28, 2014
Convenient to downtown Norfolk. Very nice hotel.
1 night business trip Apr 20, 2014
"very convienent to the places I needed to go."
Overall my stay was good. Had a clogged face bowl. Otherwise no complaints.
1 night trip Apr 16, 2014
Jeannette
"It's looks good from the outside"
The staff was very polite. The issue is the hotel is old and it actually smells old. It looks really nice on the outside, and is within walking distance to many things. I would have had a better stay at a holiday inn express for less money.
Other trip Apr 21, 2014
Keyona
"Nice Room for the price"
Other than the sleep number bed not working (hard as a rock), you can hear LOTS if noise through the walls and was charged $10 for parking that no one told me about it was a nice updated room & super close to the scope.
1 night trip Apr 18, 2014
Tina
"good location"
the hotel is quite eclectic, the decor is beautiful. But the staff wasn't very accommodating as we did check in at 1:30am. There was an issue with their water system and as a result our tub wasn't drained and the toilet was left full. We were in for a family emergency and the location was perfect for coming and going to the hospital. The food in the restaurant was really good and the staff during the day was very nice. the location itself, while convenient, was not in the best neighborhood.Overall it was a decent place to stay for what we came there for.
2 night trip Apr 15, 2014
"close to popular Granby St restaurants"
Easy in and out for downtown Norfolk.
1 night trip Apr 11, 2014
"the hotel is in need of repair, outdated tv,"
the tv was small and out dated the comfortor was worn and thin and dirty, air cond system is out dated. the staff did know what they were doing. one said you had a continental breakfast and there was not one, no room service of any kind, the bar and resurant closed at 9 pm. lot of out dated furniture. was not a pleasant stay by any means
Other trip Apr 10, 2014
tom
"Close to Norfolk Scope"
This hotel was obviously once the "Grand Dame" of Norfolk. Still well appointed. Within walking distance of our destination - Norfolk Scope! Free parking!
1 night trip Apr 4, 2014
"wouldn't use this hotel again"
The hotel lobby was beautiful.. however only one elevator worked. The room was not un the best condition. The walls were dirty. The beds were not comfortable. The room, overall, needs a lot of updating. As does the hallways. My daughter was actually afraid to walk the hallways and even go into the room. I wouldn't recommend this hotel.
1 night family trip Mar 29, 2014
"good, solid hotel"
good solid hotel, good staff, clean, tasty mediterranean restaurant across the street. I was doing a trade show across the street at the arena so I didn't go very far.
Other trip Mar 31, 2014
"no toiletries"
Was very very close to Venue. Rooms were ok. Room didn't have and we asked and couldn't get shampoo or conditioner.
1 night business trip Mar 23, 2014
Javier
"B. Davis"
Very comfortable, clean,and the staff was excellent! The location was very convenient and a Restaurant located on site! I loved this hotel. Any time I am in the Norfolk area, this is the hotel I would prefer to stay!
1 night trip Mar 22, 2014
B. Davis
"Very Close to Scope"
My stay was accommodating regarding the event that I was attending, which was the MEAC Basketball Tournament. I was a bit surprised that there was no MEAC Standings Chart in the Lobby for those who want to browse where things are and no chart readily available to be shown for the theme of things. I also didn't think much of the lighting in the room, too dark. The TV's are old and not clear, and the technology of the TV's don't show a whole screen, wow, really???
3 night trip Mar 13, 2014
Phillip Ledwell
"Great hotel until amenities are limited"
I love everything about the hotel. It was nice.... Unfortately the most important thing that every hotel guest expect are wifi service and showers. I could not connect with Wi-Fi during my stay. Also, I couldn't shower because the shower was broken. I wish things could work properly for me to feel 100% satisfy during my stay. Check the shower knob and make sure it runs properly before you get settled.
1 night trip Mar 1, 2014
"Disappointing"
The front entrance is elevated and can't bee seen from ground level w/o signage to direct guests to the ramp to the front entrance. Not saying I didn't miss the sign. I could have (I AM a guy after all). But we were actively looking for it and neither of us saw it. This meant we had to park in the lower lot and carry our bags up more than 30 stairs because there were no elevator signs in sight. At the front desk a guest is complaining about a noisy neighbor. While one employee listens, another employee acted as if we were an inconvenience to her and mumbled her thoughts on the guest under her breath. We were in Norfolk for a concert and were surprised that event parking was free! But the front desk told parking was $10 extra because we booked through a third party. I booked an upscale suite at The Plaza - a hotel that's known for its upscale experience. Well, I've stayed in much nicer rooms for half the price. It was clean. I'll give them that. But the luxury stopped there. There were cables loosely running around the rooms' baseboards leading to 27" 'box' televisions - similar to the one I had in 1993! I went to the fridge for water but it was empty. The Plaza can't splurge on bottled water for their guests? There’s more, but you get the idea. This is the 1st time I've used hotels.com. I'm not holding them responsible, but I'm disappointed they would promote a premium-priced hotel with such an underwhelming experience.
1 night trip Feb 28, 2014
Kevin Flores
"Very Nice!"
We stayed one night as I was vising my son who attends ODU. The staff was friendly, the Hotel was clean and the room was nice and clean as well. We would stay again.
1 night family trip Feb 28, 2014