All hotels in Norfolk, Virginia, United States of America
700 Monticello Avenue, Norfolk, VA, 23510, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

Location is ok
    Poor vibe
    Room is not nice
"Not worth the price"
The staff tried their best to make a bad situation better. From the sink being clogged and the lack of hot water to the jet engine that acted as the heating unit and the elevators literally shaking the room, the facility was not in good shape. The only redeeming quality was the staff was quit friendly and made their best efforts to be hospitable.
Other trip Feb 22, 2015
"Ice cold lobby"
No heat in the lobby, restaurant or hallways in the middle of winter!!! 3 problems with the room which were not fixed: 1.) drawers on dresser always open because dresser was tilted forwards 2.) sink drain plugged 3.) shower curtain collected in the middle, no way to keep water going out the edge My parents room had no heat but they were moved to a new room which had heat
3 night family trip Feb 14, 2015
Edward
"great weekend when we werent in the hotel"
The sleep number didn't work, and the ceiling was decaying. Parking is 10.00 a day not just for the duration of your stay. The location is great in Norfolk tho.
3 night romance trip Feb 13, 2015
bradlee
"I know were I WON'T be staying again"
Headboard fell off the wall while my wife and I were sleeping. Heater broke overnight. Called Front desk early morning, but no one available. Walked to the front and no one was there to assist. On the front desk counter was the names and room numbers of every hotel guest. Called from desk again around 8:30 am and was told an engineer would come to fix it. No one ever came by the time we checked out at 11 am. Worst experience for valentine's weekend.
1 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015
Jesse
"Not a good experience."
This hotel has a lot of negatives for a hotel of this price. 1. The room had a musty smell. 2. They charge a $10 fee for parking a day. It's not something they tell you until you check in and it's too late to cancel. The staff gives you as a reason for the parking charge that you have to pay for parking anywhere in downtown, which isn't true because we found free parking on the street downtown when we went out to eat. 3. The hotel is right across the street from project housing. 4. Although the rooms were supposed to be refurbished, there was chipping paint on the ceiling in the bathroom and the silver ring for the shower head was not attached to the wall. Find something else if you can.
1 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015
Deanna
"Bad days and sleepless nights!"
I will NEVER book this hotel again! It's shabby and in need of a customer service overhaul. My cab driver explained that the hotel has been under new management about 4 or 5 times in the last couple of years. The beds were uncomfortable, the pillows needed replacing and please don't bother to ask the Front Desk staff for anything as they were useless and unhelpful. The hotel is in a bad neighborhood but probably was a good place about 10 or 15 years ago. I was very unsatisfied with my stay!
4 night business trip Feb 8, 2015
Kelsey Hamilton-Layer
Seems to have improved since the name changed from the Norfolk plaza hotel. Toiletries are of better quality as well.
Other trip Feb 9, 2015
"Beautiful but awful room"
We were told that we were the lucky guest of the day. This meant we were upgraded to a King Suite. How cool is that? At 11:00 p.m. We complained about the noises buzz and humm that made it impossible to sleep. Housekeeping admitted our room sat on top of a transformer and it was always noisy. I come to Norfolk to see my doctor and need to sleep! They gave us a new room. The hotel wasn't full! Why did they "upgrade" us to a terrible room? I thought I was treating us to a special night and paid more than I needed to. . . and instead, we were sooooo disappointed. Virginia Schweninger
Other trip Feb 4, 2015
virginia
"Beware"
Not worth the money... I got to my room that had no room number on it, with a door that was broken, just to be surprised by a broken heater..not one for writing bad reviews, but this place was just about as nasty as the attitude's of the employees..
7 night business trip Jan 5, 2015
jim
Very old hotel with a "face lift". Rooms were dark and dingy. No information in the room on how anything works. A/C - heat was a very old unit and smelled when it came on. Staff was nice. Don't expect anything special when staying here except for a sleep number bed which is a mystery on how to use until you call the front desk and they explain.
Other trip Jan 8, 2015
Beautiful outside and lobby of the hotel, but the room smelt musty and smelt like smoke even though it was a non smoking room. The front desk was not friendly and seemed annoyed by questions we asked.
1 night romance trip Dec 26, 2014
"No! No! No!"
It cost extra to park. The building is VERY old and the carpet smells
1 night romance trip Dec 17, 2014
Sherry
"Lipstick on a pig"
This hotel is OLD! Who ever the engineer or construction people are need to be fired! Broken off wood that's painted over and a/c didn't work. This hotel smells like urine. It has the potential to be good but it looks like the put lipstick on a pig! Remodel the hotel and until then stop pricing it as a reputable venue.
1 night romance trip Dec 17, 2014
Sherry
"Not terrible but not great."
Beautiful lobby upon entering. Front desk staff was very nice. Charles checked me in, he did a great job. He was courteous, knowledgeable and quick. There was no wait but I did check in later in the evening. The room was clean but not in great condition. The hotel was clearly older and has been updated slightly. The vanity in the bathroom was way too low. Tile in the shower had poorly done patch work. Air conditioner in room was not correctly placed in the wall. This did not have any effect on performance but added to the worn down appearance of the room. Furniture and bed were modern and comfortable. The true disappointment came from my showering experience. There was no hot water, so I took a quick cold shower. The other disappointment was the quality of towels. They were worn very thin and they were small. I didn't complain because I was only there for one night. The hotel was close to the event I needed to attend and was relatively inexpensive.
Other trip Dec 19, 2014
"Convenient location, but awkward entry."
Hotel is located at split in road with entry on both sides. Parking is on street level, but entrance is one level up by stairs or drive up ramp that is hard to find. Hotel undergoing renovation as Wyndham takes over.
1 night business trip Dec 5, 2014
George D
"Thanksgiving weekend"
My stay was very comfortable.
3 night romance trip Nov 27, 2014
roslyn
"Don't waste your time or money."
I spent 4 nights here with my girlfriend. The only thing good about the hotel was the Location. The sleep number bed never worked, the staff was unpleasant and didnt seem to enjoy their job. Only one ice machine in the building which was a huge inconvenience. The bathrooms are very small. The hotel in general is old and it shows. I Would never spend another night there.
4 night romance trip Nov 26, 2014
"False Advertising + TERRIBLE Service = AVOID"
Avoid this hotel at all costs. Originally booked for Saturday night through Tuesday morning, but plans changed so I contacted Hotels.com to update my stay to have check-in be Sunday night and check-out still be on Tuesday...FOUR DAYS IN ADVANCE. Received change confirmation email from Hotels.com and thought all was well. Was very surprised on Saturday when I saw my card had been charged when we hadn't checked into the hotel. Upon arrival I immediately asked the concierge why I was charged and I was informed their system had not been updated to show that our check in was now Sunday, not Saturday. I showed him the confirmation email from Hotels.com AND called Hotels.com to verify the change had been made (it had), but he refused to offer me a refund or apply the amount that was charged to my bill. He was unsympathetic and uncaring and offered no solutions whatsoever. I asked to speak to the manager, but he was out for the day. Came back the next morning, and there was a girl behind the desk that I spoke to and she immediately fixed the problem, saying she would apply the amount I was charged to my bill at checkout. Five days after checkout though, my account was showing a refund plus a charge, and the original amount I was billing was erased from my account. It was all very sketchy and confusing, and to just ice the cake...the room was not NEAR as nice as the ones pictured online. Avoid avoid avoid!
2 night romance trip Nov 16, 2014
Paige
"Cool Plaza Hotel"
Very good place to stay !
1 night trip with friends Nov 8, 2014
Merl
"Nice hotel, but interesting first impression"
I had an interesting stay. It wasn't bad, but different. After parking my car, it took me a while to find an entrance to the building. I think I entered in a side door and it seemed a little sketchy with people smoking and drinking there. After opening the door, all I could hear was loud club music, but I was close to the bar/restaurant and I got to the hotel at 10pm (just to let ya know.) After walking into the lobby I was very surprised to see fancy decorations and a beautiful lobby. I was then surprised again to find out that I was the guest of the day, which meant I got a free upgrade to a suite and my $10 parking fee was waived. When I got to my suite they had a very nice letter and goodie bag waiting for me. I also had towels in the shape of a swan on my bed--so fancy! I guess my only recommendation would have been for signs to have directed me to the front entrance, so I wouldn't have been weirded out upon entering the hotel. Other than that, my stay was great!
1 night trip Oct 17, 2014
"Norfolk Plaza Review"
The room was very large and very clean. The staff was friendly. The restaurant food was quite good. Sadly, the restaurant is not well patronized. I would stay at the hotel again.
3 night trip with friends Oct 10, 2014
Theodore
"Hotel staff"
My stay at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel was not pleasant. After leaving Norfolk State University's homecoming activities and returning to the room around 11:00 pm, i was shocked to see people yelling, opening and slamming doors, and running through the hallways. I notified the hotel staff. Instead of hotel security taking the lead and resolving the situation, i was forced to move to another room on the 12th floor. I paid for a king bedroom suite, but ended up sleeping on a queen size bed with the wife. I honestly believed the security person on duty and the staffer condoned the situation, because they either knew the people involved or just did not care about customer's services.
1 night trip Oct 11, 2014
"Up in a puff of smoke"
I found the "smoking area" at the side door a bit challenging. It was constantly "adorned" by people needing a break, but also it seemed that some of these people were just "visiting" THE PREMISES. This whole area detracted from the elegance of the main lobby and foyer.
3 night family trip Oct 10, 2014
"Ok."
The decore was great, but the hotel couldve scaled back on that to address some of the more functional.
2 night trip with friends Oct 10, 2014
"very convenient location"
Returned again for the quality and convenience. We also enjoyed a dinner downstairs, beautiful sunset from our suite before going to the Theatre....
1 night trip with friends Sep 26, 2014
Renate
I just needed a place to sleep and the bed was really uncomfortable so I can't rate the place highly. Wifi was so slow it was unusable. Other than that, it was a standard hotel room. It won't kill you.
1 night business trip Sep 7, 2014
"Decent Service"
We arrived late but was able to get a free upgrade. Service was decent, employees need training on how to be more professional. Overall we enjoyed our stay.
2 night trip Sep 5, 2014
"Not impressed"
Lobby smelled like smoke. Sheets and shower looked dirty. Mechanical units in room were loud and kept me up all night.
Other trip Sep 5, 2014
shelley
Hotel is downtown not too far from the beach. Plenty fast food chains in the area. The decor of the hotel is very modern. Service was really great and they were willing to help make the stay was comfortable. There was a problem with the elevators, but was provided a solution to get to the rooms and fixed promptly.
2 night family trip Aug 29, 2014
"The hotel was not what we expected."
The hotel lobby is very attractive and it would lead one to believe that the room would look equally nice. Before, we settled into our room, we were met with an undesirable experience--a broken elevator. We were requested to take the service elevator. Once we arrived at our room, the door required an extra push to open. The door to the closet had a patched hole that was not quite finished. The refrigerator did not look clean or maybe it was the rust on the shelves. The sleep number control for the bed did not work. The air conditioner seemed to make a dripping water noise from the unit above us throughout the night which led to limited rest. Lastly, we called the front desk to request towels and never received them. Parking is advertised as $7 but we paid $10. Overall, I think the hotel appears to have some potential but there is still some work that needs to be done.
Other trip Sep 1, 2014
Vex
"Fun Bargain Stay in Norfolk"
This was the 4th or 5th stay at the Norfolk Plaza and since the first time the friendliness of the staff, the fun atmosphere at the bar and the tasty food has remained the same. There don't seem to be any bad view rooms in this place ... I have experienced the sun rise over the ocean, the sun set over the harbor, the city lights ... Renovation has proceeded quietly and the rooms exhibiting now a clean, relaxed and quiet comfort and wireless access is now accessible even on the upper floors.. What I most appreciate at the Norfolk Plaza is the diverse and multi-cultural clientel ... College Students on a field trip next to Navy and Merchant Marine Officers and Captains next to a Wedding party next to retirees, vacationers and business travellers. Enjoy the many draft beers and the seared tuna at the bar ... no need to leave the hotel to look for a restaurant. For drivers: there is always a space on the parking lot on the premises for $10 the night.
Other trip Aug 28, 2014
Ivo
"never again!"
The two positives I can say is that the staff is friendly and the lobby is nice. That's where it ends. The roomed smelled like mildew and the ac unit was too loud. The shower head was coming out of the wall and at least one outlet lacked a cover. The desk was too wobbily to use. There were two beds. Only one sleep number device worked, if I turned the surge protector on and off. Only one towel in the bathroom. There was also a charge for parking as if o had a choice to park somewhere else. I paid almost $200 for this room. I wouldn't have paid half that if I'd known what I was getting into!
1 night trip Aug 22, 2014
Arianne
"Nice hotel close to ODU and the beach."
Great experience. Hotel was great and staff was very friendly.
Other trip Aug 25, 2014
"TERRIBLE for my 8/13/14 stay"
My stay was horrible. I called prior to arrival to let them know I would be driving in from NY and wouldn't arrive until 3-4am. When I arrived at 4am they couldn't find me in the system. When the manager was called I was found in a "no show list" and they were trying to charge me fees. I get to the "non smoking room" it smelled worse then what I think a smoking room would smell like. The bathroom had mold all around everything. The carpetting was old. EVERYTHING was unplugged, so to find the cause of, nothing working, Im moving around furniture to gain access to the the outlets. The garbadge and floor had ashes from smoking, even found a cigar leftover on the floor near the desk. They have a sleep number bed tho, nice right? Nope it was set to the hardest level and was like a slab of rock, and it didn't work. Once I figured out I had to plug it in and play with the remote that worked for like 3 seconds then froze, i had to unplug and plug it back in to work for another 3 seconds, I got a chance to lie down, did I say it was 4am when i arrived and I just drove 8hrs in the rain from NY. The bar staff was very nice and fast for a cheap breakfast the next morning. I checked out and they had the nerve to charge an extra $10 on top of the hotel.com price for parking. Which is a captive charge because their is nowhere else to park. I will NEVER stay here again. I travel to Norfolk once a month for 1 night only. I will take my chances ANYWHERE ELSE..
1 night business trip Aug 12, 2014
GREG B
"Very nicely decorated. Very accommodating staff."
The sleep number beds are a nice touch. I had a very comfortable stay.
Other trip Aug 23, 2014
40s
The stay was comfortable and convenient to downtown.
3 night trip with friends Aug 14, 2014
"This hotel is okay, definitely not a 3.5 stars."
I'm going to say an old saying, the first impression is what counts. 1. The first thing I noticed when I entered the hotel was the main entrance double/doors were broken and stayed open the entire time we stayed there. 2. They only had one employee checking in the guests and the line was very long for 2 AM in the morning. 3. The pictures online look beautiful, but this hotel is actually very OLD, and there has an awful smell in hallways. 4. I noticed a few broken items around the hotel such as door knobs and pulls. 5. There was hair in the bathroom floor, and the bathroom toilet stumbled while sitting on it, plies the bathroom toilet paper was missing and it wasn’t very clean. Maybe I can stay again, but for the price of a motel, $65-79, not for $137 + tax which was $150 per night, not including parking fees which was $10 per night. That made our per night stay at $160.00.
2 night family trip Aug 15, 2014
Guillermo E. Jimenez
"Nice hotel conveniently located"
Close to highway and central location. Our stay was enjoyable. Low marks on internet availability in the rooms; only available in computer center during our one night stay.
Other trip Aug 15, 2014
"Total garbage"
This hotel was probably the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, especially considering the price. First impression is not bad. They swank up the lobby for wedding receptions,etc. but that's the only decent part of the hotel. Half the elevator buttons didn't work. The 7th floor smelled like an old folks' home...literally...there is no other description for that smell except possibly "like a hospital" or "geriatric urine." The room didn't smell as bad, but the hallways were putrid. Once inside my room, I discovered that the hot water didn't work. After working all day, I had no time to squabble for another room, so I took a cold shower. The next day after telling them about the hot water twice (and being assured that Maintenance would "get on it"), I got a new room. At least the front desk clerk was courteous enough to just send up the new keys. The 11th floor didn't reek as much, and the second room had hot water. But I still didn't even want to walk around my room barefoot. I could feel how filthy the floors were while I had no shoes on. And one more thing: I had to go to 5 different floors before I found a working ice machine. Oh yeah, and the hotel is directly across the street from the projects... so, there's that. Not that the Norfolk projects are that bad, but it's never a good sign when you open your curtains to reveal the wonderful view of the local projects. Maybe this place was nice 40 years ago, but time has not been nice to this hotel.
2 night business trip Aug 8, 2014
Taylor
"Better off at a Motel 6."
T, well...This hotel was probably the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, especially considering the price. First impression is not bad. They swank up the lobby for wedding receptions,etc.; but that's the only decent part of the hotel. Half the elevator keys didn't work, but luckily the button for thr 7th floor worked. That's when my luck ran out. The 7th floor smelled like an old folks' home...literally...there is no other description for that smell except possibly "like a hospital" or "geriatric urine." The room didn't smell as bad, but the hallways were putrid. Once inside my room, I discovered that the hot water didn't work. After working all day at a shipyard, I had no time to squabble for another room, so I took a cold shower. The next day, after telling them about the hot water twice, I got a new room. At least the front desk clerk was courteous enough to just send up the new keys. The 11th floor didn't reek as much, and the second room had hot water. But I still didn't even want to walk around my room barefoot. I could feel how filthy the floors were while I had no shoes on. Oh yeah, and the hotel is directly across the street from the projects. So, there's that. Not that the Norfolk projects are that bad,but well...
2 night business trip Aug 8, 2014
Taylor
Made reservation for a king size bed. I was given 2 double beds. Not good.
"Not worth the price!"
First off we were staying here because it was close to my son who is stationed there In the military. As always I searched online read all reviews before deciding to stay at this hotel. The reviews show it to be in the 3's and for the price seems close. Ok now the experience, the room was very rough with cracks in tub area and toilet seat, which appeared to be painted in. Staying with the bathroom the water pressure in the bathroom was very weak causing a shower to take forever. The toilet had problems flushing, was reported to front desk and no one very came to check on problem , had to remedy myself. Yuk! Also came in after long day sightseeing had left the air on cool, so my son turned off and switched on heat which cause burning smell that set off fire alarm in room, called front desk again and was told someone would come check it out. The call was made at 9:30 pm and by the time we went to bed at 11:30 pm no one had came to the room. As if this isn't enough about three outlets in the room did not work, including the one the TV was plugged into. The hotel advertises sleep number beds, and the room had those, however they only worked part of the time. Oh I almost forgot they tell you when you check in that there is a 10.00 dollar parking fee and your car will be parked in a fenced area, and it was except there are two ways to go in and no guard at either gate, and it's 10.00 dollars A DAY! I hopes this helps someone decide not to stay here! This hotel is at best a 2.0!
dwayne
"Bad location needs TLC"
Dirty rooms, staff was not friendly, staff did not appear happy at all to be there. barely anyone staying in hotel.
"Stay was okay"
Hotel decor is nice but once I arrived there was a musty smell in the lobby. Once I got to my room there was a smell. The room was spacious enough for our family. The hotel needs central air conditioning. Our wall unit did not cool the room as it should it was very got at times. I do not plan on returning to this hotel.
2 night trip Aug 7, 2014
beds were like brick...paper thin walls...shower shut off half way through my shower...
1 night trip Aug 2, 2014
girl
"i"
Overall the stay was ok. The only thing really good to me was the beds they were nice and comfortable...the woman at the front desk have an attitude problem...and the the smelled like somebody had a pet before...the bathrooms are tiny but the shower head was nice...
2 night business trip Aug 1, 2014
anoymous
"Bathroom issues"
The location of the hotel was great for our needs. The lounge is nice and tastefully decorated, however no one was on staff in the latter part of the night. The rooms are typical, nothing out if the ordinary. That being said while I was showering the toilet overflowed in the room. After being called down as an emergency it took maintenance 20 minutes to come up and check. We had to go down to the desk to request a room without it being offered to us. Gross. Unsanitary. When I talked to the woman at the front desk she was cold, uncaring, and unhelpful. I will never stay there again.
2 night trip Jul 29, 2014
"Overpriced"
They should make their rooms as nice and fancy as their lobby.
2 night family trip Jul 29, 2014
"Exhuasting"
Our double bed room we reserved was given away when we checked in so we were given a King bed. I had to go from the top floor to the bottom floor 3 times before we could even get in out room because the key didnt work and the phone beside the elevator didnt work. When we finally got in and went to shower the hot water didnt work. We pick up the phone to call the front desk and that phone didnt work. I went down stairs to request another room. We were given another room. Tried to turn the lights and tv on, no power. Called the front desk and they said maintenance would not be in until the morning. Went to take a shower and knob came off. We put the knob back on, we found out that nothing was plug in. By the way this was all at 3am when we arrived in town. The best part apart the stay was the 1 day refund thhat we were suppose to receive.
2 night trip Jul 11, 2014
Tremaine
This hotel is very deceiving. They draw you in with their elegant exterior decor. However, once you check in and go up stairs. ITS LIKE A SLAP IN THE FACE. Dirty comforters, the water in the shower was ice cold. It forced us to take a bird bath in the sink. We were very disappointed.