All hotels in Newport, Rhode Island, United States of America
1 Bellevue Avenue, Newport, RI, 02840, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Awesome Hotel!"
Awesome Hotel, Great Stay Great Staff, rooms small, but thats what you get with historic buildings!
5 night business trip Jun 19, 2015
Guy
"Great room, loved the pool and hot tub"
Room was fabulous, great amenities that aren't offered at smaller hotels in this area. Hotel is in walking distance to many great shops and restaurants. All staff were very helpful. Would have rated excellent but for some minor housekeeping issues.
2 night romance trip Jun 20, 2015
Cindy
"Nice choice!"
Really nice hotel, great room and fabulous location! Loved it
1 night trip with friends Jun 22, 2015
Frederika
"Don't stay here"
The room wasn't worth the rate I paid for it! The cable sucked, the coffe marker and all the cups, sugar, ice bucket was on top of the work desk we barely had room to walk around the bed, the paint around he window was chipping off, bathroom was small and the sink was to small to wash my face. I was better off staying at a low end motel!
1 night romance trip Jun 20, 2015
Domingos
"A lot of money for what you actually get..."
It wasn't quite as buttoned-up as i would have expected for a hotel of this caliber, but it was still lovely. The room was nice but the bathroom was miniature with a toilet that needed some maintanence. The steamroom wasnt working in the spa. The attendant seemed suprised when i tokd her and promised to get someone in to fix it, but that never happened during my stay.
1 night trip with friends Jun 5, 2015
"Memorial Day Weekend at Hotel Viking"
Memorial Day Weekend in Newport was great. Hotel Viking was outstanding.
2 night romance trip May 23, 2015
"Not worth the money"
Don't worth the money. Got my car hit by someone else after valet parking. The staff at the bar took my order of a drink to be delivered to my room, but never made it. Please ignore the "free wifi", it's never working. The receptionist will ask you to pay extra money for another wifi when bring them the issue. The bar on the first floor was so noisy that we couldn't get into sleep after midnight.
1 night romance trip May 23, 2015
Liangzhou
"Beautiful!"
Central Location in this Historic town. Friendly and competent staff. It is an older hotel but the rooms have been redone beautifully. Spa treatments have been some of the best I've had! Definitely will consider staying there again in the future!
1 night family trip May 17, 2015
Sophia
Very good, clean hotel in superb location. Friendly and accommodating staff. Resort fee of $14 should be included in the price, since this is not a resort and the facilities are that of any hotel of its kind. A bit deceptive.
2 night trip May 12, 2015
"Great Mother's Day Weekend at The Hotel Viking"
Truly enjoyed our stay, we have stayed at a couple of hotels in Newport and the Hotel Viking is by far the best. The friendly staff is out of this world and they go above and beyond. We even needed a microwave in our room and they brought it to us within ten minutes. Not enough great things to say about our experience.
2 night family trip May 8, 2015
"Beautiful hotel, in a beautiful town"
I have been to Newport many times in my life and this hotel is top notch. Beautiful facility and close to all shops, restaurants and bars.
1 night trip with friends May 9, 2015
Josue N
"A getaway !"
Short weekend stay for a birthday celebration. Room was very small but worked ok. Staff were all great and very helpful. Didn't get to use the facilities much.
1 night romance trip Apr 12, 2015
Jack
"Great location + Amenities but Very Small Quarters"
Great location, nice indoor pool and excellent restaurant. It's a n old Mansion turned into a hotel. Nice character but rooms are extremely small and Bathrooms only standing room only made for a claustophobic couple of nights.
2 night romance trip Apr 3, 2015
rafael
"Stay here, you won't regret it."
Excellent hotel at a great price, looking forward to going back soon. Everything was better than expected.
1 night romance trip Apr 29, 2015
Terry
"Fabulous hotel - yet not relaxing...."
Beautiful hotel, lovely staff, very accommodating and pleasant. Two weddings, one large and one small, were taking place on the weekend of our Sat night stay - added about 400 guests total to the rather small string of public areas. (cocktail receptions were held by the guest pool and hot tub, photo sessions held in lobby areas. Nothing like running past dozens of wedding guests wearing typical finery in your swimwear.. Would probably book a more casual, peaceful hotel in this area next time to avoid unplanned wedding participation. Couldn't help feeling a bit like intruders.
1 night trip with friends Apr 25, 2015
"One Night Stay at the Viking"
We stayed for one night at the Viking. The hotel service was outstanding. The hotel is located two blocks above the waterfront. Be aware that the rooms are on the small size, especially the bathrooms. They also charge a $30 parking fee and a resort fee. Although I thought the fees were a little steep, especially in the off season, I would definitely stay at the Viking again.
1 night romance trip Apr 21, 2015
"Great location!"
The perfect one night getaway for our family... my husband, myself, and our 3 month old.
1 night family trip Apr 20, 2015
Nicole
"Loved The Hotel Viking"
Absolutely loved the Hotel Viking! This was our second trip. Would definitely stay here again!
3 night romance trip Apr 16, 2015
"Luxurious stay at the Viking"
We had a lovely stay the Viking hotel. They had an amazing deal the week after Easter that we took advantage off. It is a very classy hotel and very close to everything. At their prices, it would be nice if breakfast buffe was included but it is not. The room was small but very comfortable bed. There was nowhere to hang your towels in the bathroom which seemed like an oversight. I probably would not stay here at $300+ a night but for the special deals, it was a treat.
1 night family trip Apr 9, 2015
We loved our stay here. The location was great and the staff was very friendly and helpful.
Response by The Hotel Viking
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you loved your stay with us at The Hotel Viking. From our location to our service, we strive to ensure the perfect escape. We would love to see you again.
Other trip Apr 4, 2015
"Unbearably small room and bathroom"
The hotel is centrally located for a stay in Newport. The staff were professional and friendly. The rooms however were a complete disappointment. They room itself was so small it was difficult to move around and the bathroom was beyond small. An airplane bathroom is larger. It was impossible to dry off after a shower inside the actual bathroom and when you sat down on the toilet your knees almost touched the childlike pedestal sink. You had to put your toothbrush and personal items on the shelve behind the toilet which seemed unsanitary. I would not recommend this hotel based on the room size.
1 night family trip Mar 26, 2015
"Dont Hesitate to Book, this is a real hotel!!"
I can only say "Excellent" all the way from the location, to the actual appearance of the property, the staff and of course the room! Old world hotel elegance, perfectly executed. Though we were there only for less than 12 hours we felt totally pampered and indulged. The room is like being in the home of a wealthy Queen from the luxurious bed and bedding to furnishings and wallpaper. Loved it!! Thank you Viking Hotel
1 night family trip Mar 22, 2015
Kathryn
"Always a pleasure to stay there!"
I have stayed here and ate here numerous times. It is always a nice and relaxing experience! The food is great, high tea is delicious, and the room comfy. The staff is very welcoming and helpful. I can't say enough about the service I always receive. Looking forward to my next visit :)
1 night trip Mar 18, 2015
Sheila
"Lovely"
Loved the hotel. Only thing our room was missing was a tub. Great rain shower though. Restaurant was wonderful!
Response by The Hotel Viking
We are so happy to know you enjoyed your time with us at The Hotel Viking. Dining at One Bellevue can be such a treat and it is great to know you were able to join us for a meal. All of our guest rooms are appointed with comforting amenities and we would like to point out that we feature several styles that have bathtub and shower combinations. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.
Other trip Mar 23, 2015
M
"Beautiful hotel & centrally located."
very good experience not complaints. Staff are frienfly,professional and very helpful. room were clean, fresh and spacious. Meal were good. Spa service excellent.
Response by The Hotel Viking
We are delighted you enjoyed such a great stay with us at The Hotel Viking. There is nothing quite like a visit to Newport and our property is perfectly situated to take advantage of it all. Our associates at Spa Terre will love to know that you found their service to be spectacular. Your thoughtful suggestions will be shared with our management team. We would love to welcome you back again.
Other trip Mar 23, 2015
"Good location, hotel runs smoothly,"
Pro: good location, walking distance to cliff walk and downtown Con: bathroom is small
Response by The Hotel Viking
Newport is a wonderful city and we are so happy to know you found our location to be one of the highlights of your trip. Thank you for sharing your visit with us to The Hotel Viking. We hope we have the chance to see you again.
Other trip Mar 22, 2015
shao
"Great service"
The valet service at the hotel is awesome. Sean parked my car and also brought my bag to my room which was very thoughtful. I was very tired after a 10 hour drive. I did kill a spider in the room but that was the only negative room wise. Just be prepared to spend money for business center copies.
1 night business trip Mar 16, 2015
Robin
"Two lovely days at the Viking!"
I spent two nights in Newport just to unwind after a tough winter, to visit the Newport mansions and enjoy the seacoast, and especially to take advantage of the indoor pool, tub, spa and other servicers at the Viking. I had stayed here previously several years ago, and I found the hotel improved significantly since the last visit. The afternoon tea service was delicious, and although pricey, not too far off from other hotel high teas in big cities. Had dinner twice in the restaurant, and each time the service was great, food delicious and reasonably-priced (if not too exciting or innovative) and the atmosphere relaxed. The lobby and service staff were extremely nice, helpful and accommodating, and it seemed that the décor in the entryway and corridors was much improved. Old-fashioned elegance and stateliness! My room was on the small side, but very well-appointed, with antique style furniture and luxurious linens and pillows. My only complaint is that the bathroom had no tub, and was a bit cramped, but I could live with that. Wonderful spa service with a fantastic facial and sauna. The indoor pool and hot tub were exquisitely clean and refreshing. It was a perfect relaxing time - much needed after the hellish winter we've been experiencing. This is a hotel for adults, with a formality and grandeur that is appreciated now and again in our all-too-casual world. I loved it!
2 night trip Mar 10, 2015
"Beautiful and lots of history"
Great location and wonderful staff. Only thing was the bathroom in our room was very small. But to be expected in some of these older hotels. Would definitely go back
1 night romance trip Mar 13, 2015
Craig
Started off with needing to change dates due to change in work. Was initially charged a cancellation fee for initial night. When trying to have fee reversed was told multiple times by hotel it was not their charge but hotels.com. When I finally made them aware that it is clearly stated on hotels.com the fee was "the hotel's". They then told me I was within the window to make a change and not be charged, to call hotels.com, tell hotels.com to call them and they would reverse charge. Nutshell - the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. Bed was extremely uncomfortable. Street noise volume outside our room was extremely loud with windows closed and it was off season. TV reception was poor on many channels. No mini-fridge. Bathroom had a stand up shower only. We did not use valet parking based on prior reviews about its high cost. Street parking is extremely limited and imagine most likely impossible to locate during peak season. I have not stayed at any other hotels or inns in Newport, RI but if this one of the better hotels I would advise vacationing in another area.
1 night romance trip Mar 9, 2015
Overall I enjoyed everything about the Hotel Viking. The staff was friendly, the food amazing! Just one thing that wasn't so pleasant was the lack of sleep I got from the noisy heater in my room, which sounded like a freight train everytime it turned on. RM 417
Response by The Hotel Viking
Thank you so much for sharing your review of our Newport hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed so much of your stay with us, including our friendly associates and dining selections. With that being said, we must offer our sincere apology for any issues you encountered with the heater in your guest room. We wish we could have made things right while you were here and want you to know that our maintenance team has been alerted. It is our hope that you can join us for another stay that is positive in every way.
Other trip Mar 11, 2015
T
"almost had fun"
I got very sick just as we were arriving and only stayed a couple of hours. My husband had to take me to the hospital and we never got to return.
2 night romance trip Mar 1, 2015
Dorothy
Wonderful experience. Very nice hotel and friendly staff
Response by The Hotel Viking
We are delighted you enjoyed such a wonderful experience with us at The Hotel Viking, including friendly service! It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.
Other trip Mar 4, 2015
"Avoid the restaurant!"
Cute hotel, but with some updating needed (the heating isn't especially reliable). We weren't convinced by the mandatory daily resort fee (there's a pool and a small weights room—hardly a resort), but overall this is a nice place in a great, central location. Your stay will be markedly improved by avoiding the restaurant. It reaches Fawlty Towers level of chaos and disorder and simply isn't worth the frustration. I've never been moved to walk into a restaurant kitchen to cook and fetch my own order, but I came pretty close here, opting instead to leave having waited almost an hour for nothing to arrive other than a coffee (but no milk, that turned up twenty minutes later). Curt staff, mediocre food, terrible service, an expensive menu that is in no way justified. A decent stay, a nice location, just let down by restaurant service that would test the patience of a saint. Fortunately, there are a lot of good dining alternatives within walking distance.
Response by The Hotel Viking
Thank you for reaching out to us. While we are glad you enjoyed your overall encounter at our hotel, it is truly regrettable if we failed to provide you with the best dining experience in our restaurant. Our guests should never be expected to wait an undo period of time and we will be certain to address your comments with our associates to improve. Your remarks are of great value to us. We hope you will consider another visit so that we can fully impress you.
Other trip Mar 3, 2015
DR
"The hotel Viking"
My stay was great, the staff was very helpful and friendly, the food was delicious from the hotel restaurant, and the hotel is old and awesome as they have refurbished it and kept it in great shape! My room was well decorated, and the my overall experience was great. Only problem was my heating unit did not work the first night I was there, but no worries, they brought up a space heater, and fixed it when I was out the next day. So it was all good. I will stay again.
4 night business trip Feb 22, 2015
Tacoma
"Great location, gorgeous hotel."
The hotel is beautiful, and the staff is excellent without exception. Be prepared to do a lot of walking from the entrance to your room. There were technical difficulties. The phone didn't work, so we had to use our cells to call front desk or valet parking. The cable TV stopped working, as well as WiFi. This sounds kind of nitpicky, but there were no plastic cups, and the glasses that were there do not go through the dishwasher. So if you're a germaphobe bring your own cups and the only water available is going to cost you $6.00. There are no vending machines, and it would have been nice to have a small notepad to jot things on, but there was none. Just a broken bic pen. I highly recommend using valet parking. Makes it so much easier. Even in the winter, parking can be a headache.
2 night romance trip Feb 26, 2015
"Love this hotel!"
This is a great hotel, classy and beautifully decorated! the service staff is superb from the moment you pull into the driveway for valet parking, friendly and courteous, desk personnel are very welcoming. My only comment for the benefit of tall guests is: The manor rooms are very cramped, my wife and I are small people and felt a little claustrophobic. if you are 6' plus you are not going to enjoy your visit, shower and sinks are not suitable for large people, but no doubt The Viking has other rooms, so ask even if you have to pay a little more it will be worth it.
1 night romance trip Feb 27, 2015
Very nice for a romantic weekend away. Within walking distance to many restaurants and shops. Great historic location as well.
Response by The Hotel Viking
A romantic weekend away can be such a treat for any couple and we are so glad you chose to stay with us at The Hotel Viking. Newport has much to enjoy and our location makes it easy to take it all in. We hope you will join us again. Thank you!
Other trip Feb 27, 2015
"Great Romantic Getaway!"
We had a great time at the Viking. The staff was very nice and energetic. Food was excellent! We will definitely return.
Response by The Hotel Viking
We are so glad you enjoyed your romantic stay with us. Our historic hotel is filled with not only luxuries, but amazing comforts and activities. Each of our associates strives to ensure fully hospitable service. Thank you for sharing your time with us. We will be happy to see you again at The Hotel Viking.
Other trip Feb 24, 2015
"Viking in name and Viking in nature"
The Vikings were blond-haired, blue-eyed adventurers who spent most of their time pillaging Northern Europe. In a similar vein, The Viking Hotel is an attractive, luxurious building and the room was superb. However, hidden fees including $10-a-time valet fees (when there was nowhere to park), add-on fees that conflicted with the advertised prices online, and $6 bottles of water in a room that was heated outrageously, we were left feeling like a Celtic Monastery from the late 8th Century.
Response by The Hotel Viking
While we are glad to know you appreciated the beauty and comfort in our luxury Newport hotel, we regret if you were troubled by any of our fees. Please know it is never our intent for guests to feel misled in any way. As you have mentioned, we do indeed charge for parking and many of our guests take advantage of the convenience our Valet service offers, with unlimited in and out privileges. Our in-room honor basket prices are detailed along with the items available but we apologize for any confusion. Please know that we appreciate your comments and hope that you will join us again to enjoy more of what we have to offer.
Other trip Feb 23, 2015
"Quick Getaway"
Check-in was simple and even though check-in time is 4 we got there at 1 and they had a room ready for us which was a definite plus. Room was comfortable and very clean. WiFI in the room was very spotty though and seemed to work best in the bathroom of all places. Valet parking was very good and pretty quick most of the time. They have a shuttle service which we were told ran until 11 PM but it is very unreliable. We used the service to go to a restaurant but when we called to have them come back and pick us up around 10 PM they said that the service was no longer running due to them only having one person there to run valet parking/shuttle service. If they drop people off somewhere then they should be responsible for getting them back to the hotel as long as it is before the 11 PM cutoff time. Received a few recomendations of places to eat from the staff but as it turned out we did not feel the same way about the places as they did. All staff were very friendly. Location is great and if weather was warmer it would be very easy to walk to a lot of the places where we instead drove or took a taxi. Would recommend this hotel though for sure.
Response by The Hotel Viking
We sincerely appreciate that you took the time to fully detail your encounter at The Hotel Viking. When a guest provides a review such as yours, it allows us the opportunity to learn not only about what has brought enjoyment, but also any areas that we may need to address. We are glad to know you appreciated our location as well as our comfortable guest rooms and overall service offerings. With that being said, we apologize if you encountered any confusion over our offerings. Please know that we do offer a house vehicle that is available on a by request basis, but it is not really guaranteed at all times and regret any miscommunication. We will be sure to share your comments with our management team. It is our hope that we can have another opportunity to fully impress you with all we have to offer. Thank you for your feedback.
Other trip Feb 23, 2015
"Lovely hotel, perfect for romantic getaway"
Hi - it was amazing - great value, friendly service, lovely suite (the Rosecliff) with view of the Bay.
1 night romance trip Feb 19, 2015
"Go and spend a night or weekend."
The best rest I've had in a long time. Have never slept on such a comfortable bed with down feather blankets. It was such a treat. The room was lovely. The restaurant / bar area was great as well. Piano player was a nice touch.
Response by The Hotel Viking
Thank you for sharing your appreciation of our property and as well as our comfortable guestroom accommodations. Enjoying, as you put it, some of the best rest you’ve had in a long time, is a fantastic compliment! It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to The Hotel Viking.
Other trip Feb 22, 2015
Maria
"Perfect stay, great old school charm !"
Great overnite stay! Friendly knowledgeable staff right from entering the building. Comfortable room, some street noise, but not worth points off. And yes, small bathroom, wine stains on duvet & EZ chair, but again, just worth mentioning, not points off. P.M. valet gave us a ride to local restaurant due to lack of street parking because of snow. A.M. valet steered us to a great breakfast spot. Really love the 'Olde School' places!
Response by The Hotel Viking
Old world charm, helpful service and our amazing Newport location; guests are treated to all of this and so much more at The Hotel Viking! We are delighted you enjoyed staying and appreciated the efforts we made. Your comments pertaining to your guest room have been shared with our Housekeeping associates and we are grateful you have brought this to our attention We do hope you will visit with us again soon.
Other trip Feb 22, 2015
Pete
"One of Newport's Best. Great Local Charm."
I went here for the kid's school vacation. They were tired of snow and we wanted a nice indoor pool, heated. When we arrived, we learned the heating mechanism of the pool was busted. The water dropped to 74. Thats nice in summer. Its Titanic in winter. We went in anyway. Then ended up with the kids, and 12 other 10 and 6 year olds, in the hot tub. We had a blast. I say this because hotel kept me up to date as to what was going on with the pool. They sent someone to CT to pick up a part and it was going to be installed in the afternoon. Everything they said would happen, happened. Next day, pool was a balmy 82 and all was well. SpaTerra will undergo a name change later this year. But so long as the services remain the same, I recommend. Not a big spa guy, but had a sports injury so did a deep tissue. Loved it. The spa is really nice, near pool and well equipped gym. The room I had was a little small for four with two double beds. Its fine for a family. The hotel plays up its Newport gilded age history well; glad to see that. Other big hotels here do not. One Bellevue Lounge and One Bellevue restaurant are very good. I recommend doing sandwiches and soups in lounge and then a nice dinner at One in night. Id say take the first room, rather than the second room, especially in cold weather months. Chef is open to doing what you want with his recipes. Not for vegans, vegetarians. I didnt see roof top bar. Was closed for winter.
Response by The Hotel Viking
It certainly seems as though you were able to make the most of a cold winter weekend here in Newport! We are grateful to have welcomed you and your family at The Hotel Viking. Your comprehensive review is of great value to us as we appreciate knowing what our guests enjoy while here, including our spa experiences at SpaTerre and dining at our on-site restaurant, One Bellevue. Thank you for your patience while we encountered any unexpected issue with our pool heater. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.
Other trip Feb 21, 2015
The Captain
"Lovely building and excellent staff"
Wish we could of stayed longer and hope to find such a good deal come spring or summer!
Response by The Hotel Viking
A wonderful stay at The Viking Hotel is what we hope to achieve with each guest who walks through our doors. We are delighted you appreciated our property as well as our associates’ service and certainly hope you do have a chance to come back in the warmer months. Thank you for your kind review.
Cabotcat
"Winter Getaway"
We love Newport and have stayed at Hotel Viking before and love the access to a hot tub and restaurant in the building. If we didn't want to brave the cold, we didn't have to. They had some pool problems which pushed everyone into the hot tub. Everyone got time though. Staff was very polite and apologetic
Response by The Hotel Viking
A winter getaway to Newport can be amazing and we are grateful you chose to stay with us for your recent trip. We certainly have a number of ways to enjoy your time here and hope that all of our guests feel just the same. A relaxing soak in our hot tub can be the perfect way to spend a chilly day. Thank you for your understanding as we encountered a temporary issue with the pool heater. It is great to see it did not impact your time with us too greatly. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again soon.
2 older ladies
"Very tasteful - great experience"
Except for the pool heater being broken, we had a wonderful stay at the Viking. It never fails to be exactly what we want in a quick getaway.
Response by The Hotel Viking
We are so glad to learn that The Hotel Viking is your destination of choice for a quick getaway. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is regrettable if any temporary issues prevented you from fully enjoying our pool and we hope that it wasn’t too much of an inconvenience. We look forward to welcoming you again for your next stay.
"FROZEN NEWPORT"
We love Newport and the history of the Viking Hotel.The valet parking was key during such a snowy winter.
1 night family trip Feb 16, 2015
Marita
"Couples Getaway"
Great from the moment we pulled up until we pulled away the next morning!
1 night romance trip Feb 13, 2015