All hotels in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
1176 Granville StGranville and Davie St, VancouverBCV6Z 1L8Canada, ‏‎855-239-9481

Delicious food
  • Value for money
    Poor vibe
    Uncomfortable
"Value and helpful staff."
Value for money. And the night manager, Lucia, was very helpful.
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear Mark, Thank you very much for staying with us. Glad to hear you found our staff helpful. Thank you for your business.
4 night family trip Jan 18, 2015
"Thanks"
I had a conference in Vancouver and decided to look for a cheaper hotel than those that were suggested. This Howard Johnson was an excellent alternative and I am very pleased with my decision. Although the room was a bit drafty and the heater blew out a warm air that was somewhat overwhelming, everything else was great. The room had recently been renovated and everything was new and comfortable. The staff and the location were also great.
Other trip Jan 10, 2015
"All positive besides room comfort."
The price,location and hospitality were great. Controlling the room and bathroom temperature was terrible. The bed was uncomfortable. Could hear the next door club music late into the night.
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear Trevor, Thank you for your review and for staying with us. I'm sorry, none of our bathrooms are heated or have heaters in them. We are a heritage building and when the washrooms were built, there was no such thing as heated floors. I'm sorry about that. All rooms have heaters in the windows, those are heating/cooling units, I wish we knew you are having problems in the room, we would love to help. Thank you for your business.
1 night romance trip Jan 2, 2015
Trevor
"Downtown!!!!"
Right on Granville street in downtown. Night clubs, shopping all near by. Parking is scarce, arrive early to get a spot
Other trip Dec 30, 2014
Added extra parking fee .. Completely unexpected
Other trip Dec 29, 2014
"You are not going to sleep at night there"
All night clubs around, super thin walls, you hear every move of your neighbours
Other trip Nov 30, 2014
"best rate in DT Vancouver"
Always great rates and great service
1 night business trip Nov 10, 2014
"Ok hotel"
Ok hotel great location
2 night business trip Nov 1, 2014
VALENTINE
"WORST EVER! And I like staying in hotels."
They lost our reservation, we did not have heat in our room, there was hair all over the bathroom, people fighting and yelling ALL NIGHT both nights, the bed was so broke down i actually thought it was a water bed at first, parking was the worst ever!!! They charged 23 dollars a night to park and our vehicle was vanalized! NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!
2 night romance trip Oct 31, 2014
"OK for 1 nite"
Bathroom lacks counter space. No TV station guide available.
Other trip Nov 2, 2014
"Bring earplugs"
No real issues with hotel (cleanliness, services, etc.) except parking was not very good - really tight spaces for a large vehicle. Nightly parking fee is probably reasonable for a downtown location, I am just not accustomed to paying for parking. The big issue is late night noise. Granville street is party central and once the bars close, the party moves onto the street. On our Friday night stay, the noise lasted until about 4:30 AM. Make sure you bring earplugs.
4 night trip Oct 21, 2014
Just Passing Through
"Time to update"
We stay here off and on throughout the years. It's starting to show signs of wear and tear and could use some updating. Staff is friendly and the rooms are clean however room 407 has mildew in the bathroom, and a strange smell so we slept with the windows open- then we had a lot of street noise even tho we were on the back side of the building. You can have breakfast at the hotel or turn left out the front door and walk half a block to the " 2 Parrots". breakfast is $7.50 for 2 eggs, toast hash browns and sausage or bacon or ham- and there's a lot of it! If you're looking for the gay neighborhood (Davie Street) just turn right at the a fore mentioned 2 Parrots (not gay).
3 night romance trip Oct 15, 2014
Ric
"GREAT LOCATION IN VANCOUVER!"
I LOVE THE LOCATION AND THE PRICE IS ONE OF THE BEST IN VANCOUVER.
Other trip Oct 20, 2014
KEVIN
"Paper thin walls"
The bed frames are attached to the walls, so i was awoken and could feel and hear people getting it on at 4am in the room next to me.
2 night trip Oct 7, 2014
"Very nice close to everything"
The stuff is very helpful with everything you might need answering questions and friendly
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear Carlos, Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are happy to hear you found uour staff friendly and helpful. Thank you for your business.
Other trip Oct 13, 2014
carlos
"Hojo is life!"
This is your life, take it!
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear guest, Thank you for your 5 stars and thank you for your business.
1 night trip Oct 9, 2014
"not recommend"
It was way worse than I expected.
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear guest, Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. Please, do not hestitate to contact the staff right away if you find something you don't like. We are here to serve you.
2 night family trip Oct 6, 2014
"An Excellent stay"
A comfortable experience with a location that worked for me, as I was attending the VIFF. Parking was very expensive, but necessary.
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear Bob, Thank you for your review and thank you for staying with us. Glad you were able to enjoy our location, hope you had fun at VIFF. Thank you for your business.
Other trip Oct 9, 2014
"Great downtown hotel"
One night stay in Octorber 2014. Quick check-in. Room as expected, in line with the price payed.
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear Richard, Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review. Happy to hear that the room was as expected. Hope to see you again.
Other trip Oct 5, 2014
"Spendy parking,small room"
Parking was 19.45/day CDN -a bit spendy. Room small ,comfortable-OK for two . Had to pay additional charge for separate beds-no twins available and was traveling with 83 y/o mother
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear EJ, Thank you for your review and thank you for staying with us. After Olympics parking tax has been increased from 6% to 21% plus another tax was introduced and that has made our parking in the whole city much more expensive than it used to. Our parking is $ 18.99 taxes included and from what we gathered, it is same as everybody around us. I do understand it is much more than you would pay in Seattle, I'm sorry about that.
Other trip Sep 30, 2014
EJ
"Hojo downtown"
The hotel is close to several adult venues if that is your thing.
1 night trip Sep 27, 2014
"horrible service and small beds"
So checking in took over 45 minutes because 2 people ignored us then before we even checked in rudely told us to move our car from their parking lot. I said we would gladly but we're not hauling bags from another parking lot a couple of blocks down!! So the front desk lady was rude from begging to end. It's a cute little boutique looking hotel so it has a nice cozy feel to it. Location was great since it was right in the middle of downtown. The sports bar next to this place was awesome. Definitely annoying customer service personnel.
1 night trip with friends Jun 27, 2014
Angela
"Great location if you want to party"
Hotel location is very good, but there are many bars and clubs around it. We couldn't sleep until like 3 am. Other than that, everything else was good.
1 night trip Sep 12, 2014
"Very nice hotel"
From the cheerful and helpful front desk persons to general state of maintenance, this hotel is nicely managed. I especially liked the historical photos of Vancouver that line its hallways.- If into the younger night scene in Vancouver, the location could not be more ideal. Others might find the area around the hotel seedy. It is a generally safe area, though, and within easy walking distance of the main shopping area. TIP: Rooms facing front have street noise but also far more light--more cheerful. Rooms in back can be quite gloomy.
1 night trip Sep 8, 2014
"Middle of downtown Vancouver"
It is a nice and clean hotel but the bed are very small. We were the last weekend and I don't think I am gone go back there unless the reduced the price.
Other trip Sep 10, 2014
I enjoyed staying here.
2 night family trip Sep 3, 2014
Julia
We had to pay extra for parking. They made us book online. Staff wasn't friendly. The shower leaked onto the floor.
Other trip Sep 5, 2014
"Close to bus , walking distance to shops"
I would rate 2 star. Quality of service very poor After 7pm no room service is available. We stayed 3 nites Room was not cleaned every day. Bathroom items like soap shampoo etc we're not refilled. We had to wait for one hour for soap, shampoo etc to take shower.Ffinally the front desk employee had to bring it. Since there was no other help after 7pm The air condition and the bathroom exhaust did not work and no employee is knowledgeable about it.
4 night family trip Aug 28, 2014
Rani Mahajan
"Covenient location and price"
Very convenient for the Price. Nice bar and restaurants in the vecinity. 4 for the room because I missed the Minibar. The rest very good.
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear Louis, Thank you for staying with us. Glad you enjoyed our location. Thank you for your business
1 night family trip Aug 25, 2014
Luis
"Decent for the price"
The downtown Howard Johnson is pretty old with few amenities. My room was cramped, but comfortable enough for a solo traveller. The staff kept it clean. It's right on Granville Street, so I could walk almost anywhere downtown, Chinatown or in Gastown. For what it's worth, the air conditioner/fan in my room was pretty noisy. Fortunately, it was cool enough at night that I could turn it off.
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear guest. Thank you very much for staying with us.
3 night trip Aug 26, 2014
Jonathan
Great spot to explore the city and very easy to navigate from this location.
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear Krystie, thank you for staying with us and tahnk you for your review.
Other trip Aug 23, 2014
Krystie
"Passable lodging with small rooms"
Had a brief one night stay. Staff were friendly and the lobby area was nice enough, but everything is small. Our room (one double bed) was tiny. The bathroom was good-sized but had no vanity/counter space to speak of. Not a good choice if you need much space in your hotel room. Also, the facility is dated, and room amenities were limited considering the price. Would stay here again only if no better option was available.
1 night family trip Aug 2, 2014
The room was clean and cheery with a warm paint color. It was on the small side but typical of downtown hotels and certainly adequate. We got a really good price for this hotel so we were satisfied overall. What we had a hard time getting past was the funky odor of the place - worse than the frequent stale smell you get in hotels. The location was convenient but the street just isn't in the greatest area especially for a family. I also was disappointed that it cost money to use the computers. We had phones and a tablet but booking the next phase of our vacation would have been much easier if I could have used a computer. My kids appreciated the complimentary hot chocolate.
3 night trip Aug 4, 2014
"Not happy with my experience."
It was an ok hotel until I found a condom wrapper underneath my bed. I told the front desk member and all he said was "ew, I'll have the maids clean it tomorrow". I was super bothered on how they took care of it and didn't do anything for me.
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear MJ, Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear that you found piece of empty wrapper under your bed. Our housekeeping vacuums under the bed all the time, as much as they can, there are some hard to reach places there, but thank you for letting us know, our housekeeping supervisor has been advised and have spoken to all of our housekeepers regarding cleaning under all hotel beds. Thank you
MJ
"Small rooms, nice downtown experience!"
Very small, cramped room and bathroom. Kind of old bathrooms. Very nice downtown experience! Walk to nice shops and restaurants.
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear guest, Thank you very much for your review. We are old heritage building and our rooms are smaller than what newer hotels have. We are happy you were able to enjoy what our city has to offer! Thank you for your business.
Other trip Jul 30, 2014
"Affordable and clean in the heart of downtown"
Spent two nights here over a summer weekend, turned out to be a good choice. The hotel is conveniently located and close to attractions and public transit. It's an older building but the room was clean and comfortable.
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear Adam, Thank you for your review and thank you for staying with us. Hope your weekend here was fun and we hope to welcome you again. Thank you
Other trip Jul 29, 2014
Adam
Convenience of hotel location was the key for me, can walk to everything I needed.
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear Levell, Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy your location and were able to walk to everywhere needed. Thank you for staying with us.
1 night trip Jul 25, 2014
Levell
"Not worth the few $$$ you think you're saving"
Horrible experience! First off, no parking avail, had to park 5 blocks away in another lot. The keys were deactivated twice and would have to go get new ones. Had a friend who was staying at a neighboring hotel and came back with us during "non-visiting" hours. At check out we got charged for another guest and were informed that "there is video surveillance monitoring".... Really?!? It ended up costing $250 plus the cost of having to pay to park at an off site lot, for a one star hotel.
Other trip Jul 28, 2014
"Convenience"
Staff very helpful. Only needed one night and it was very convenient for what we wanted
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear Jan, Thank you very much for your review and thank you for staying with us.
1 night trip Jul 23, 2014
Jan
"Quaint, centrally located"
The hotel staff was very helpful and kind. The rooms were nice enough. Ours was fairly small. The location is great for walking around down town.
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear Wendy, Thank you very much for staying with us.
Other trip Jul 19, 2014
Wendy
"Location is good, hotel is just ok"
Hotel is located in downtown Vancouver, walking access to Granville Island, the surrounding blocks along Granville street are home to several Discos, Clubs, Pubs and Bars, so there is loud noise at night , and it could feel a little shady when walking at night. For the price I paid, it was a great deal. Basic hotel amenities, parking is not free, WIFI is free, bathroom was clean and plenty of hot water in the shower, no breakfast. Would suggest asking for a room in the top floors to avoid the noise (room was on the first floor, had no problems sleeping, but other people may feel it was too noisy). For parking I used a public parking facility 2 blocks away instead of the hotel parking, I personally felt that the public parking was safer and cheaper. There are several restaurants, bakeries and coffee shops nearby.
3 night family trip Jul 3, 2014
curaloco
"Good location, terrible hotel!"
The hotel had a nice location however the only other positive thing I can say is that the water tasted good. Let me start with the fact that they did not have the hotel air conditioned. The halls were stiflingly hot at all hours. The room had a/c but it was very difficult to battle the ridiculously hot and humid halls. the wifi was terribly slow and you had to ask for a new password every day, which got old really fast. The standard room was only a few feet larger than the queen sized bed and my husband and I found every reason NOT to go back to the room every night until we were exhausted. The tv remote barely worked and most channels were fuzzy....not to mention that the tv was not digital...on any channels. The mattress was extremely uncomfortable and I begged my husband to forgo the last night and just go home so I could sleep in comfort again. All-in-all this hotel was a waste of money. We should have paid a few extra dollars and stayed someplace that was a bit nicer.
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear Cherie, Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are 100 year old heritage building and only lobby and rooms are air conditioned. We use sealy posturpedic mattresses and we usually get great comments from our guests, I'm surprised you did not find it as comfy as other of our guests. Any hotel, not just us, would welcome any feedback from our customers while they are staying here, we could of create a wifi password that would last longer than 1 day and if TV or remote needed to replaced or fixed, we would of love to fix it for you. Thank you
Other trip Jul 1, 2014
Cherie
"Better than its price"
This hotel is pretty good. The location is perfect!! It is right in front of the bus stop, really close to Granville Island and downtown. Rooms are okay. They are small but clean and offer all supplies we need. Most importantly it is really cheap for these advantages!
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear guest, Thank you very much for your review. We are very happy you have enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you here soon. Thank you for your business.
1 night trip Jun 12, 2014
"Small"
Located right on Granville Ave., which means that you're going to have a loud stay on a Saturday night, and only slightly quieter on other nights. Room is quite small, especially the bathroom, where the shelf over the toilet is long enough that you have to lean forward while you're sitting. Water pressure is also quite low in the shower.
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear Kromiumman, Thank you very much for your review. Unfortunately our rooms are on the small side, given the fact that we are 100 year old heritage building. And yes our location right in the heart of entertainmnet district can be somewhat noisy, depending where do you live, in the city or in the suburbs. Thank you for letting us know about water pressure, we will have it adjusted accordingly. Thank you for your business.
3 night business trip Jun 7, 2014
"Descent hotel for the price and location"
I was hear for a short weekend stay. The room and bathroom were clean but the decor was very dated. The staff was very friendly and helpful. This place is close to all the clubs and lounges on Granville Street and not too far from English Bay or the marina. Its walking distance from Robson Street.
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear T. Harris, Thank you very much for your review and staying with us. We are happy you were able to enjoy your stay. Thank you for your business.
2 night trip with friends Jun 6, 2014
T. Harris
They don't tell you that they need a $100 credit card hold in order to check in. There were 4 people in line in front of me to check in. EVERY one had problems with the credit card thing (didn't have a credit card on them, their company paid for it and the company apparently needed to FAX in a form for them to check in, or not enough money on the card they brought). This requirement should have been made clear at booking, especially when people have paid through booking sites and thought they were all paid up.
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear guest, please check the page on expedia called "know before you go" for any hotel that you are booking for, there it will list all the fees, rules and regulations for particular hotels, so there are no surprises when you check in. Our page lets all guests know that in order to check into the hotel, they are required to have valid credit card number in their name and goverment issued picture ID. No cash depsoits allowed. This will take all stress away from the travlelers and there won't be any suprises at check in time. Thank you
Other trip Jun 9, 2014
"My stay was generally okay."
The hotel staff were very friendly and always available to sort attend to our demands.
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear Apollos, Thank you very much for staying with us.
Other trip Jun 9, 2014
Apollos
"nice location for girls night out"
Really great location for convenience to getting to Robson/Granville. Sheets were a bit uncomfortable but good for its convenience and location
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear Connie, Thank you very much for staying with us, very happy to hear that you enjoyed your girls night out with us. Hope to see you again soon.
Other trip Jun 2, 2014
Connie
"Emergency extended stay lowest price in downtown"
Love the free beverage at Mezzanine & feels secure that elevator & stairway doors are access only by room key .Great location walking distance to a lot of places .
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear Pearl, Thank you very much for staying with us, glad you enjoyed your stay
Other trip May 25, 2014
pearl
Staff are very accommodating ,helpful.Great price for location , walking distance to Canada place , waterfront , nearby park .
Response by Howard Johnson Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Dear Pearlie, Thank you very much for staying with us! Glad you and your daughters had a nice stay
Other trip May 19, 2014