All hotels in Durban, South Africa
85 OR Tambo Parade, Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, 4001, South Africa, ‏‎800-491-6126

It was great,but guests need a refregerator and internet in the rooms.I was disappointed about that.
8 night business trip Oct 5, 2013
NSABIYUMVA Liévin
"Nice hotel with a lot of character"
Hotel was very convenient. It was on the beach and located close to all the attractions. Don't need a taxi to sight see.
Other trip Jun 25, 2013
Stephen
"Wrong place"
No reinvestment in this property for years. Value for price is poor.
Other trip Dec 10, 2012
Ron

"Is not what the Pictures show..."
Only 1 Reception at Check-in so waited over 30mins... TV Not tuned in room and all Fuzzy...Windows Broken and couldn't shut properly. Very Noisy area, drunk people in street out of window singing until 4am.
1 night trip May 29, 2015
"bad service,"
Receptionist wasnt very helpfu, I also had to book again on arrival, because they only received your confirmation email the next morning, and I would like a refund from Hotels.com, I will never use your service again nor recommend it to my family and friends, I'm also going to put my complaint on Helo Peter, due to the terrible service I received at the hotel, Tropicana hotel should be rated as 1 star, I've had beter service at Sun1
1 night family trip Feb 13, 2015
M
"Pleasant stay"
The stay was great only negative is that the parking was not in the same building and not pleasant walking from the parking to the hotel at night
2 night family trip Feb 6, 2015
Tracey
"Service"
I likes the hotel because it was next to the sea but I was not happy with the service. first when we arrive we were told to get our bags in car but the next day I saw other people where helped with their laggadge. second I order food from the resturant and the lady told me she will call me to come and fetch them, I was not offered room service. Lastly the room was not smelling nice, I dont know if its capert or blankets. The smell was terrible we were sleeping with our window open.
3 night family trip Jan 8, 2015
Lindiwe
Enjoyable
4 night family trip Jan 5, 2015
rene
"thamzo"
it was indeed a very nice stay even the parking was secure. I would refer friends definately to Tropicana
4 night family trip Jan 5, 2015
it was fun
2 night trip Sep 24, 2014
Rosina Ndala
"Poorly managed."
Awful experience!!! Lied about Wi Fi: never available. Unable to maintain a clean hotel: they had to first collect the used towels, wash those then bring same back in the afternoon. No iron.I called on two consecutive days the reception to get an iron. The promise to bring the iron was never kept until I left. Noisy Very Noisy. people just walking from the street into the hotel without going to the reception. They came to knock to my door many times. even as early as 5h00 AM looking for their friends. The reception unaware.
4 night trip Jul 14, 2014
"great location"
Everything was very good besides the water to have a shower was warm. be it in the morning or evening. Do something about the geysers.
2 night romance trip May 30, 2014
"greatlocation"
it was horrible since rooms where not smelling nice and we where bathing with cold water no electricity in the morning and no apology from management sorry to respond late due to internet problem
4 night romance trip Apr 17, 2014
joseph
ZA
my wife I a travel agent for a large company and does a lot of business and leisure bookings she will definitely not send her clients and she will tell them not to book or go near that hotel, its disgusting ,from the time we arrived we had nothing but ,problems, first they could not find my booking , and said I must pay again, I refused, until I showed them the email from hotls .com. I was told its first class treatment and so comfortable, but over the 30years of staying in hotels , this was the worst ever experience, my wife was so disgusted with me that I could take them to such a dump. and the rude staff , unreal ,then I had to pay for my childrens breakfast, the first morning until te day of departure , my wife spoke to the manager on duty .JOHN he said no we must go in and they will not pay , he doesn't know why we had to pay , the service is just pathetic, no fridge, the bedding smells, the room stinks we actually requested to be moved , but the room they moved us to was just as bad, r2380.00 pathetic.i personally think they should refund me my money , worse stay ever in Durban. and we will definitely put this on hello peter. my wife is goint to have a meeting with the sales rep,. and discuss this , further, mr motan
2 night trip May 2, 2014
smotan
ZA
My online booking was not captured by the Tropicana system and this could have caused problems for me if the hotel was full. Breakfast was the same stuff for my duration of stay. Rates were not favourable even though booking was done by Hotel Express. Hotel advised me to better make a phone call than online booking
3 night trip Apr 24, 2014
J N Mazibuko
"fantastic breakfeast"
i was more than satisfy
3 night family trip Apr 18, 2014
ZA
Very pleasant stay indeed.
2 night family trip Apr 18, 2014
M Bruyns
ZA
It was ok for the price.
1 night trip Mar 27, 2014
Lungi
ZA
"clean room, delicious food, bt it has surprises..."
It was great, the beds are comfortable and rooms clean. Bt I want happy bcoz I had to pay for my brother's breakfast while I paid a full amount that they said it included breakfast and I ddnt get reimbursement. The housekeeping people, left my room a mess for the whole day and my brother had to stay outside the hotel bcoz it was a mess. Until it was sorted at 5 in the evening. Enquired abt that, they said they were STL busy wit the check in's. Nxt tym I'm definitely tryin another hotel.
2 night family trip Sep 14, 2013
Precious
ZA
"the shower was not in a good condition."
The food was lovely and the staff was very friendly. The room was nice and clean. The beds were very comfortable.
3 night trip Aug 22, 2013
"Room"
room where not adequate clean.the floor were smelling dust.
3 night trip with friends Jul 5, 2013
Johannes
"Good Comrades hotel"
Easy walk to the Comrades start on an up run, and good for beachfront meet ups. Good value.
2 night trip Jun 1, 2013
"non smoking rooms"
I had to move from one room to the next untili could find a non smoking room on the 3rd attempt. Even worse the telephone lines were not working, having driven for more than 6 hrs and then marching up and down was not cool.
2 night family trip Mar 29, 2013
thabi
"conveniently located"
the staff are fiendly and very helpful.
5 night trip Dec 18, 2012
adlyne
ZA

"Um hotel que vale a pena."
A estada no hotel Tropicana de modo geral foi boa, para falar a verdade ficou acima das nossas expectativas. Os quartos são espaçosos e o café da manhã é muito bom. O hotel fica perto de bons restaurantes, área de lazer e outros.
5 night business trip Jul 21, 2015
Edmilson
BR
"가격대비 최고!!"
환상적인 위치, 좋은 조식, 좋은 전망, 친절한 직원.
1 night family trip Dec 23, 2014
seung chan
KR
"Hôtel bien situé"
Vue sur la mer, parking.
1 night trip Sep 5, 2014
2 night family trip Feb 24, 2014

TripAdvisor reviews for Tropicana Hotel

"Bad experience"
07/31/15 Marcelle62 Brussels, Belgium
As soon as we arrived in the hotel, someone of our group has been stolen in her room room so we didn't feel safe. Room is quite good and as we didn't go outside, we ordered roomservice, that was quite good, nothing special. Breakfast was fine. Nice view to the beach.
"Charmaine Mashapa"
07/29/15 Charmaine M
I stayed at the hotel many times and I must say they are very friendly and thanks to Thandeka who once helped me out when I had no place to sleep during the durban handicap whereas the accommodation that was booked for me was a false advertising , but I came to Tropicana and she gladly helped me. Thanks a million for your customer service skills that are excellent and to the rest of the stuff Mandy, Mpumi and the kitchen stuff ,waiters and the cleans who always make sure that we have cleaned fresh rooms. Mwaaaaaaaaah big up n keep up the good work.
"Comfortable stay with sea view!"
06/10/15 JOers0n Johannesburg, South Africa
Lovely hotel right on the golden mile. Breakfast delicous, wifi good. Good value for money! Stayed 4 days whilst attending a conference at ICC. parking available in adjacent building. Overall a good stay. Thanks to friendly and helpful staff.
"Unreliable internet"
05/12/15 Philippe J Nashville, Tennessee
Low midline hotel with noisy elevators and restroom ventilation into the room! An unusual approach indeed. No plugs next to the beds. My room was pretty large, with desk chair and easy to reach plugs over the desk. Otherwise, good AC, friendly staff and nice view of the ocean. Breakfast ok.
"Summer in the City"
04/28/15 MarkH90 Northampton, United Kingdom
I had not stayed in Durban on the Beach front for many years. I am follower of cricket and rugby but wanted to see what else Durban now has to offer. I booked the Tropicana because of its location, close to the cricket ground for future trips, right on the beach and easy access to other attractions I was keen to see. The hotel has secure parking parking next door and the staff were friendly on arrival and all through my short stay. Breakfast was great and a perfect start for a day of exploring. I walked alone up and down the beach and golden mile. Surfers, swimmers, joggers and cyclists were all up early as I was. I am always fascinated by surfers and ability to get out into the ocean and their skill at riding waves in. There were dozens here on show. I booked a guide through Durban Tourism and had a loose plan which I changed at short notice more than once. Zamani, the guide in question was flexible and extremely knowledgeable. We visited the dark side of Durban, the muthi market, where plants and animal parts are sold for traditional medicine. A complete contrast was the spice market which was full of vibrant colours and the smell of fresh spices. We took a cruise from Wilsons Warf and ate at Ushaka Marine World. My only regret not having more time at Ushaka. We drove out and took in part of the Heritage Route following in the footsteps of Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi and many other inspiration figures in the countries passed and more recent history.
"Renovation required"
04/08/15 Variksha D Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
I stayed at the tropicana as i was attending a wedding in kzn. I chose the hotel primarily for the view and proximity to the beach, which is a stone throw away. However had i known the condition of the hotel and the horrible service to go with it i would of changed my mind. The rooms are dirty. The carpets had cigarette burns and smelt of smoke. We werent greeted by the receptionist when we stood infront of her to check in. Instead we were abruptly told to have a seat without any question as to why we were there. I also tried to order room service but we had no menus in the room. When i called for a menu i was told to dial housekeeping who then told me to call reception, which i had already done. As i complained about this to the housekeeping department i had the phone dropped on me. All this for a menu which should of been in the room in the first place. Breakfast was bland and uneventful. never to return......
"Most enjoyable stau"
04/06/15 Pete K
I arrived at the hotel after a long flight from London England. After reading the reviews I was most concerned about the Hotel and wondered if I had made the right choice. The Check in was easy the reception staff were more than helpful to say the least. Then on to the room with no idea of what I was going to find after all negative comments I had read! But the room was big clean and even had a sea view that I wasn't expecting. The breakfast was fantastic the waiters very good and friendly couldn't say a wrong word about them. The clipper Bar again the waiters were very good and friendly couldn't do enough for you and the food in the clipper well what can I say but lovely a good plate of food for less than £2 English pound Exelent is the only words I can say. On the whole the hotel is very good indeed and I can not say a bad word about it my 5 days there were excellent and can't wait for my return at the end of the month. Thank you to all the staff for making my stay one to remembe. Peter Kelly London england
"Business"
01/27/15 256stefann
Rooms are dirty and saw crawling insects - really not a good hotel. The place needs some renovation and upgrades. I was really not impressed at all. If it was clean at least that could have made a difference. Lots of things in the building is in need of upgrading
"Worth it!"
01/09/15 Manuel C Bethlehem, South Africa
If planning to go with a family to Durban,this will be o good choice. Pls don't expect luxury,there is not such thing there,but SAFETY,CONFORT,and a SUCCULENT BREAKFAST.. Coming from a 3 days stay in a Guesthouse,to find this kind of breakfast was very very NICE. Yea,I know,the parking is outside the Hotel and then you must pay R55 per night,I now,it can frustrate you a bit,but is not terribly far,there is a 24 hours segurity personnel there,you feel that your car is safe,under roof,not really bad,AT ALL.... The 3 Palms restaurant unfortunately is closed at night so,no dinner there,that''s something that is a bit of disappointment,but come on,there are plenty of restaurants on the beach front of Durban to choose from... It was very pleasant to be there,next time I will stay for longer....
"Definately going back!"
09/17/14 Sbonie Durban, South Africa
For the low cost that I paid at the hotel, I must say that the services were amazing. And as an absolute food-lover, the food didn't disappoint one bit. NOTE: it would be nice if the wifi was available in the rooms as well instead of just the first floor and as a bonus...FREE WIFI :)