All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
417 Stockton St, San Francisco, CA, 94108, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

Decent vibe
    Bad internet service
In town for the Nike women's half marathon. Mystic is within a minutes walking distance of Union Square. The only 2 downfalls I experienced was the elevator didn't work at 1 point and my room did not include an air conditioner.
1 night trip Oct 17, 2015
"Centrally located, but noisy boutique hotel w/o AC"
This is a boutique hotel in an old building right next to the Stockton Tunnel. I asked for a quiet room and didn't care for a view. I was assured my assigned room, 311, would be quiet. I overheard upon check-in that the rooms don't have AC. I thought that didn't matter because it was mid-October and no more than 65 degrees outside. Well, after waiting for the old and only elevator (the kind you have to open a door to enter), I went to my room to find it quite stuffy. There was a ceiling fan, thank goodness. I tried opening the windows, but saw they were double paned with bars because they opened into an alley way where the hotel stacks its garbage cans and where cars could drive by. My room was at ground level with the alley, even though it was supposedly on the third floor. (?). The room had a shower, no tub. No biggee, but the noise was awful. Despite me calling the front desk to complain, I could still hear people entering/exiting the hotel and going into the alley way and moving trash cans, etc. This went on I think well past midnight. Needless to say, not a restful night. Upon check out, I was not asked how my stay was, just told I'm all set.
Other trip Oct 20, 2015
sharon
"Gem in Union Square"
Great location in Union Square. It was a little noisy because we were above the alley and even with the window closed the service activity and trucks were clearly audible.
1 night trip with friends Oct 17, 2015
"Great Breakfast"
We only stayed for 1 night but it was in a great location for shopping and places to eat. The elevator is really cool since it is ancient, however, it is slow so consider that if you don't like stairs. We had a couple very small housekeeping issues but overall the hotel was clean with interesting decor. I couldn't safely get the free wifi to work but that may just be my lack of tech ability. We stayed on the 7th floor overlooking an alley and had some noise in the early morning from a garbage truck but it was very quiet otherwise. We were pleasantly surprised by a complimentary breakfast and thought it was yummy. There was scrambled eggs, chicken Apple sausage, vegetable quiche, fresh berries, pasties and yogurt. I think that there was also some cereal and other fruit. They also provided coffee, OJ and an assortment of organic tea. The fellow at the front desk was prompt and courteous and the lobby had water and soft chocolate chip cookies. Overall, I was impressed and would recommend this hotel.
1 night romance trip Oct 14, 2015
Erin
Stay was great. Room was just a bit hot due to no A/C. Cool bar and restaurant. Great hand mixed cocktails and the food was great!
Andrea
"Don't do it!!"
I would not stay again and here's the reasons why. No air conditioning, the ceiling fans helped. It was so hot so I called maintenance to come and try to open the windows, but they couldn't. Are you kidding me???? You can't park in front of the hotel to unload, cause you are in a red zone! The front desk told me to move my car so that it wouldn't get towed. So how are you suppose to unload your luggage? As for the old elevator that they have, don't expect it to work. While my one night stay, there was a group trapped in it. I refused to get in it land climbed my 5 flights of stairs!
Sabrina
"For the price, expected more comfort"
The room and hotel itself are asthetically nice. However, there was no air conditioning which I didn't think would be a problem but I was burning up. My room did have a cieling fan but it wasn't close enough to the bed to really make a difference while I was sleeping. Towels and linens were all very soft, however the bed was as hard as a rock, kept waking up every hour to try and get comfortable again. The bathroom was nice, loved the shower, and again, towels were actually soft so that was a plus. Breakfast was basic continental breakfast: Cereal, pastries, coffee and fruit. I ordered room service (burger and fries), which was delicious. Also, when I got my room key, it had the wifi name and password, but neither my laptop or phone could find the service.
Erin
"Great location but...."
Hotel had no air conditioning on a warm weekend. Staff very young and not very knowledgeable about city. My room did not get cleaned until after 4:00 pm while my wife and I were trying to relax.
3 night romance trip Oct 8, 2015
Lewis
"Stay somewhere else"
There is no air conditioning, so we had to sleep with windows open and the traffic/garbage collection and drunks kept us up 1/2 the night. Only one slow elevator which didn't work part of the time.
3 night family trip Oct 8, 2015
The lack of air conditioning is a slight problem on hot days. There was very little assistance with bags, coming into the hotel with multiple bags the staff just watched as I struggled through the double doors. (While standing behind the front desk with no guests in sight.). The same thing happened when I left. Room service came in a paper bag and was wrong when delivered. Not the best experience. I would not stay here again.
2 night business trip Oct 7, 2015
"Decent but loud"
Walls paper thin. I could here the bar/band till 11:30 and the cars/buses on Stockton street all night. Then at 4am I so very clearly heard the alarm and wakeup call of the room next door and the couple talking as they got ready to go to the airport. I am a heavy sleeper so this says something. My room was 301 above the restaurant overlooking Stockton street. Good location though some homeless milling around when I got back late one night. Good complimentary breakfast
2 night business trip Oct 5, 2015
"Mystery Mystic Adventure"
It was a great stay and everything was easy. Bit noisy in morning with trucks in alleyway but not a problem. Did a lot of stair walking not sure about the lift!!!!! But fun. A jug to make a cuppa in room would be an asset. Your food at restaurant was amazing top marks great chef. Staff all friendly and front desk people most helpful It was a nice stay.
4 night romance trip Sep 29, 2015
"Nice little hotel, needs some updates"
My wife and I stayed at the Mystic last week while we were in San Francisco. The location of the hotel is fantastic(a block from both Union Square and the Hyde St. Cable Car line) and the room itself was great: comfortable bed, nice shower, great amenities. Also, the breakfast each morning was delicious and plentiful. The "speakeasy" theme of the in-hotel restaurant is very cool. The hotel needs some basic upgrades to make it really great, however. It was a little warm the few nights we were there, and in addition to not having air conditioning, there was also no way to open our windows to let a little air in. Also, on both days we were there the electricity in the bathroom inexplicably shut off for a few seconds. Lastly, the elevator is a disaster: on both of the days we were at the hotel we experienced times when the elevator shut down completely, or would start going in the wrong direction for no reason. It was very frustrating, especially when we had to haul our luggage down 6 flights of stairs as we were trying to leave. They've made some great updates to this place and have done a lot of work on the rooms, but the wiring and infrastructure need some updates badly.
Other trip Oct 1, 2015
"Pleasant surprise"
Great location and staff. Chinatown is just on the other side of the Stockton tunnel. Neighborhood felt safe only a block away from union square. I even walked to the moscone convention center in 15 minutes. The rooms are small but I would definitely stay here for the price. The parking deal is a steal as well in a valet garage so you dont have to worry about your car getting dinged.
1 night romance trip Sep 26, 2015
Jamie
Generally an OK place to stay. The complimentary breakfast was a really nice touch. The bar and the music are amazing. My only issue - but it weighed heavily for me - was that my room was really warm and I had an issue opening the windows. Once I asked the front desk for help, they got opened but to little avail. The lack of air conditioning and the slow elevator to the 8th floor were negatives.
1 night business trip Sep 24, 2015
Jeffrey
The hotel is older and quaint. The bed was comfortable. The room was clean. There were nearby restaurants, shops, and parking. There was no coffee maker in the room. As previously stated, no air conditioning. We were not able to eat or drink in the bar because of a large reservation party. It was just ok.
Other trip Sep 27, 2015
Everything was good just a bit too warm and no AC.
2 night romance trip Sep 18, 2015
"Mediocre at best"
Hotel staff friendly, restaurant staff not so much. There were holes in the bath towels, little to no water pressure in the shower and the elevator stopped working 3 times and we only stayed 1 night. Would not return.
1 night romance trip Sep 22, 2015
Sara
no air conditioning great continental breakfast
1 night business trip Sep 16, 2015
Kaila
"You don't always get what you pay for"
Traveling for business, after spending 10 hrs on an airplane I got to my room to find out I was given a Jr Suite when I paid for a Studio Suite. A visit back to the service desk yielded "We are sold out of rooms", check back tomorrow but refused a refund for the difference even when asked. My 3 night stay turned into a 1 night stay as I checked out the next morning but at least at this point they did give me a credit for the room (different desk attendant). Breakfast was good, but internet was spotty at best (not good for work) and there was a musty odor throughout the hotel.
3 night business trip Sep 8, 2015
"Felt like home ..."
This was our first trip to San Fran and we had no idea what to expect. When we walked into the hotel, it smelt amazing and the staff was extremely friendly. The held our bag until we were able to check in and recommended restaurants in the area and how to use the trolley. The room itself made me feel like it was our own mini apartments in the city of San Francisco. It was clean, trendy and the bed was super comfortable. The breakfast was one of the best continental breakfasts!!! The only recommendation is that you try to get a room away from the street. The street is verb no sit day and night which is probably the problem with every hotel in the city. So, definitely try to get a room on the higher floors and away from the Main Street. Other than that, this hotel is the best you will get for the value.
Other trip Sep 13, 2015
The nice couple
"Enjoyed My Stay at Mystic"
I enjoyed my stay at Mystic Hotel! The front desk is welcoming and responsive. My room is very clean and tidy -- small, but comfortable, from the bed, to the bathroom. There are various selections for breakfast. Last but not the least, the location is great! There is a bus station right in front of the hotel will bring you to golden bridge. You can walk to Market Street to get on bus 5 to Golden Gate Park. Union Square is 4 blocks away. I recommend this hotel for the future visitors.
1 night trip Sep 6, 2015
Phoenix
"Spacious and clean room."
The hotel has been remodeled beautifully. Breakfast was good. The elevator is slow. No coffee in the rooms. It was very noisy in the middle of the night as the garbage trucks came twice to collect the garbage.
Other trip Sep 9, 2015
Kippie
"Great location and price"
Pros: Location (easy to access everything) a lot of attractions within walking distance, lovely continental breakfast included, attractive lobby, large room size, great bathroom Cons: NOISY (we were facing the street) but alright with ear plugs, no temperature controls (it was hot-air conditioning would have been really great), dark room
Other trip Sep 8, 2015
Dee
"Good Location, Mediocre Stay"
The pro's- good location, very clean, decent bed The con's- someone started construction in a room across from us on a Sunday morning before 9am. Ugh! Really annoying. The elevator seemed to be continuously stuck on another floor. It's old school so if the door isn't closed by the last person it won't budge. Stuffy in the rooms. All in all it was OK. Thought it was expensive for not having the building upgrades of other hotels in the area charging the same or less. I probably wouldn't stay here again unless they were running a really good special.
Other trip Sep 7, 2015
jenny
"Stylish w great location; could use improvements"
Loved the location, style, and staff. Few random issues we had though: no AC, old (yet historic) elevator wasn't working and we had to struggle to get suitcases up to 4th floor. Also bizarre that bedside lamps had no switch and had to be unplugged to turn off!
Other trip Sep 6, 2015
Amie
"Charming, beautiful hotel"
My wife, daughter and I stayed here after going to a Giants game. The hotel is charming and unique. Our room was on the 6th floor and had a beautiful original brick wall that just made the experience so much fun. The windows were difficult to open and the room did get stuffy with no air cond. It would be fine since it's in S.F. to not have air, but not being able to open the windows properly made it uncomfortable. The continental breakfast in the morning was really good. The hotel is within walking distance to Union Square and shopping. Something for everyone. The staff was kind and courteous. We really enjoyed our stay.
1 night family trip Aug 29, 2015
Romaldo
"Love the old brick feel!"
This hotel has a beautiful old brick feel, but with modern accents that are perfect for San Francisco. I love the huge modern bathrooms too! And the bar downstairs! Live music, great bartenders, and absolutely stunning!
1 night romance trip Aug 29, 2015
Alexandra
"Alert - no AC!"
We were exited to stay in this hotel but it turned out such a disappointment. First and most of all - they don't have AC. It wasn't even too hot outside, the room was too stuffy and too hot to rest or sleep after the long drive. They gave us portable AC (the only one they had) which solved the problem but still the day was ruined. In room 611 we found a big ugly stain on the carpet in the middle of the room, the toilet wasn't properly attached to the floor and was wobbly. Also they have a historic elevator (which is kind of cool) but it wasn't working properly and gave us a scare a couple of times (we stayed only 2 nights). Complimentary breakfast was very nice and satisfying. Overall for the money we payed (apr. $300 per night) it wasn't worth it and I don't think we would stay here again.
2 night business trip Aug 26, 2015
"Good location and environment. Will come back agai"
The only problem is the shower water not hot enought during our stay in winter time. But the rest are good.
Other trip Aug 30, 2015
"Nice location"
Close to many restaurants and bars, and shopping. Easy to find transportation to get around the City. Restaurant with nice breakfast with many options, which was free. I found dinner ambiance great with a live jazz band and great tasty food. Staff was very helpful with finding me a place to eat on a very busy evening. Room was kept clean, no problems with that.
Other trip Aug 30, 2015
TK
"Business Trip (full of good surprises!)"
Close to coffee, shopping and my clients. Pleasant walking area -- so no need to taxi around. Boba Brothers (two doors away) -- great intro to boba tea and tea/coffee offerings. E & O Kitchen and Bar (around the corner was brilliant -- easy walk for a woman traveling alone). AND hotel bar and jazz -- really nice!
2 night business trip Aug 24, 2015
Kecia
"Quirky fun near Union Square"
Great hotel with a lot of personality, definitely non-corporate. The room was great, very comfortable. There was a small issue of street noise if your windows are open but it's seriously not a big deal. The hotel is also in a historic building, though the renovations are awesome, so if you have a histrionic need for straight lines and modern finishes throughout this isn't for you.
Other trip Aug 27, 2015
Greg
"Great place to park bags while exploring SF"
This was a great overnight stay for us. My only complaints are about the elevator and the noisiness of the neighborhood. The elevator was very slow, sometimes not moving at all either while I was waiting for it or while I was riding in it. We had the room window open as there is no a/c in the hotel and it was August. It must have been recycling/trash pickup day in the neighborhood because there was a lot of noise throughout the early morning hours (from 3 a.m. - 6 a.m.). I got up and closed the window, but we could still hear bins rattling, glass clanking, trucks backing up, etc. Otherwise, a great little hotel. It looks just as pictured. Clean room, comfy bed, good continental breakfast.
1 night romance trip Aug 18, 2015
Janice
"Poor housekeeping with doom this hotel"
Poor housekeeping practices prevent this hotel from gettin a higher rating. I've stayed here 7 nights over the last 2 weeks and my room was not serviced 4x. When I notified the front desk I was told they would leave a msg for housekeeping but nothing was ever done to correct the situation. I won't stay here again..
4 night business trip Aug 16, 2015
"Pleasant option for a few days"
The room was nice. The bathroom was very nice. I was there during an unusually hot spell and the room didn't have a more modern building's custom climate control. So, on first arrival it seemed rather stuffy. However, SF cools off quickly and the ceiling fan did the rest. The elevator is 'historic' which means charming, slow and rather erratic. The free breakfast was much better than expected.
2 night trip Aug 12, 2015
I agree with another reviewer that you should ask for a room above the 3rd floor. I would probably stay above the 4th floor. We were on the 5th floor. We were next to the stairs and I could hear when people ran up and down or we could hear some construction noise but it is very convenient to Union Square, Starbucks, a cab stand and pick ups for the hop on hop off buses. The front desk was always friendly and helpful.
4 night romance trip Aug 4, 2015
Cheryl
"Plenty others better"
No air conditioning and no screens in the windows, i have bug bites all over my arms. Elevator ancient and barely works. Restaurant has no normal liquor brands and is ridiculously expensive.
4 night romance trip Aug 13, 2015
Lorraine
"chef couple's getaway"
we loved this hotel, when we arrived we had to wait another 20-30 min to get in our room, it was not ready yet. However, they did say they upgraded us to a better room for the wait. We lived the room, as far as cleanliness it was great besides a couple stains on the carpet in the corner and spots of something orange on the shower wall. I was a little weary of the 105 yr old elevator, but it seemed to work fine except for during peak hours of use. Staff was very friendly and each time we called for ice they brought it to the room very promptly. We loved the bar & the bartender Chris, he was great, very friendly and accommodating to our specific drink requests. Overall as I said, we loved the hotel, the things I mentioned were minor and really didn't affect our stay overall. We will definitely be back our next trip! Thank you Mystic :)
3 night romance trip Aug 13, 2015
Kimberly
"4 nights, great location"
Mystic is located just a walk away from most of the San Francisco main attractions. Although there was a live jazz show each night of our stay, it was quiet enough to sleep. Room was clean, spacious, nicely decorated, pleasant.
4 night family trip Aug 12, 2015
Zeljko
"Perfect Room for The City!"
This was exactly the type of hotel I was hoping to stay in while in the city. Historic, quaint, interesting neighborhood, and classic San Francisco ambiance. Stay included FREE Wi-Fi and FREE breakfast, trying to compete with that in the area is a challenge. Breakfast was delicious and filling; all of the hotel staff was wonderful. They even held our bags the last day so we could finish exploring the city. The room itself was bright and homey. The bed and comforter were so comfortable! Very cool in the room with just the fan, there is no AC but it didn't need it! Considering the accessible location, the room was very quiet. Such an amazing room for the price, I was SO happy with my stay! I plan on visiting the City every other month and this is the place I will keep coming back to!
1 night romance trip Aug 9, 2015
Rhiannon
"Nice little spot"
Great little boutique hotel. Top notch food and drink. The elevator, while charming, can be a problem if you're in a rush. I'll be back.
3 night business trip Aug 4, 2015
"Nice hotel in the heart of San Francisco."
I was in town for the San Francisco marathon. The hotel was at a good location getting to/from the start/finish. It was near Market Street and a BART stop. Easy access from the airport without a car. The in hotel restaurant was very good. There was no A/C. This was at the end of July, and the room was a little warmer than I would have liked, but it was not bad. The humidity from the bathroom was hard to get rid of. I could open a window, but then there was a clear view into the bathroom.
Other trip Aug 9, 2015
"getaway trip"
Room was small but comfortable and clean. Perfect location for everything we wanted to do. Easy walking and public transportation! Staff was friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend this hotel
3 night romance trip Aug 4, 2015
Great room, great location, small bed for two people (a double), so not the best sleep.
1 night trip with friends Jun 12, 2015
"Nice Hotel & Great Service"
We stayed for 1 week. Every night was restful. The staff was always friendly and brought ice each time we requested it. The front desk were friendly and accommodating. We were on the 6th Floor. The area and location of this hotel was perfect for all of our traveling while in SF. I would go back to this hotel any time! We were able to walk anywhere from here and never felt unsafe.
Other trip Aug 5, 2015
Beverly
"3 out of 5"
The room was not comfortable for me and my 3 kinds. It is very small. The breakfast and location of the hotel were great. The hotel needs many improvement because it's very old.
2 night family trip Jul 31, 2015
Serag
"So/So"
+ location + free breakfast + price - elevator - room size - no A/C - communication
2 night family trip Jul 31, 2015
Serag
"Great little boutique hotel."
Stayed for one night before leaving the city after a week in Napa. Very comfortable, great lounge and breakfast. Service excellent. Wish we could have stayed longer.
1 night romance trip Jul 31, 2015
Keith
"Don't hesitate and book it"
It is nice hotel close to down town the breakfast is free and excellent
Other trip Aug 2, 2015