All hotels in Santa Monica, California, United States of America

• Value
    Poor value for money
    Bad internet service
"clean, comfortable,courtious"
We were immediatley upgraded which turned out to be a great room! The service was excellent and quick! The only complaint I would have is when the valet ripped my luggage tag off without asking, so he could get my information quicker. Will definitley return.
2 night trip Jul 12, 2013
"First Class All the Way"
I found out about this hotel from a friend and it truly lived up to their hype. The beach location was perfect, the food was very good and filling. We had excellent customer service from the hotel tour when we arrived to food selections suggested by our servers. I have and will continue to recommend this hotel and I hope to return during another vacation.
1 night romance trip Jul 7, 2013
N. Stewart
"Great getaway, great view, mini paradise"
Everything was great the hotel staff was very friendly and room service was prompt. Paying a little more for the view is well worth it. Parking is a tad steep at 37 a day. We did have to wait an hour past normal check in time for the room to be ready, but it was 4th of July weekend so they were pretty busy. The hotel did offer us a few drinks at the bar for our wait. The pool was perfect and the bar next to the pool really helped ;)
Other trip Jul 9, 2013
Rob
"Great staff, room has wonderful amenities"
Room had great amenities such as Bose system, great books in the room. Very comfortable beds, loved the view. Very close to the beach and Pier. Also walking distance to other resturants and shopping
Other trip Jul 6, 2013
Cherie
"Very close to beach, walking, and biking."
HORRIBLE service at the pool; slow slow slow. Took an hour to get a drink when the one bartender left. They brought no one else in to take over. Multiple people were witnessed complaining about expedition of services. Disappointing for the well spent money paid to stay at the resort.
Other trip Jul 4, 2013
"Quick getaway"
Location was great. Perfect for Santa Monica Experience. Hotel was noisy...seemed a little under staffed. Restaurant was excellent!
Other trip Jun 25, 2013
"Great ocean views!"
Loved it! Would stay here again!! Close to shopping, the Pier and great restaurants!!
2 night business trip Jun 11, 2013
Deborah
Great experience. Fantastic hotel and staff.
1 night business trip Jun 8, 2013
"Absolutely Amazing"
My wife and I came here for our 10yr anniversary and it was absolutely amazing. Everything exceeded our expectations... Everything! We walked to the pier, shopped downtown and had the most amazing meals!
Response by Shutters on the Beach
Dear Helgeson, Congratulations again on your 10 year anniversary! We are very pleased that we were able to exceed your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Sincerely, Gregory Day, General Manager Shutters on the Beach
1 night business trip May 30, 2013
Helgeson
"Weekend Getaway"
My wife felt this was the best Hotel she has ever stayed in - couldn't have been better.
3 night trip Apr 4, 2013
AK
"To bad about the sewer smell"
The hotel is very nice and homey. The problem we had was that one of the rooms smelled. Housekeeping came immediately and sprayed an air freshener. It didn't resolve the problem. Luckily we were there only one night. Upon check out the front desk person told me it was a Santa Monica sewer problem. I'm not so sure that was the case. We had to sleep with our window open which helped.
1 night trip Mar 19, 2013
"Shutters Is Very Special"
As one fortunate enough to travel for work and pleasure across the country and around the globe I'm not prone to over the top hotel reviews unless a place is very unique and very special. Shutters on the Beach is such a place. Casual yet fined, beach vibe but in an understated way, that descibes the hotel. There is nothing better than sitting in the small cozy lounge area looking at a Pacific sunset, fire burning in the fire place, with a glass of wine in hand. The rooms are unique in terms of furnishings, little extras and so on. The service is top notch without being in your office. It all seems genuine because it is, not programmed as happens at other higher end chain luxury properties (you know who you are).
2 night trip Mar 8, 2013
John S
"Defines Santa Monica Luxury"
this hotel is always gorgeous. Of all of the luxury hotels in Santa Monica, Shutters is top 3. If you can shell out the money for the place, it's worth it.
Other trip Feb 27, 2013
Ali
"Great location, good hotel"
My room was located on the Pico Street side, 3rd floor. There was street noise. That would have been acceptable but for the car alarm that went off twice in one night. When you are jet lagged it was more than annoying. Be sure to ask for a room away from the street. Also, there is a charge for Internet access each day. A classy hotel should be above that. Despite all of the above, this hotel is in a wonderful location and I had a terrific visit to LA.
Other trip Feb 26, 2013
LA traveller
"Perfect hotel"
Absolutely wonderful stay at Shutters. It is a beautiful hotel, and the service is excellent.
Other trip Feb 15, 2013
Shutters at the Beach is a lovely place to stay. The rooms had the feel of a cozy beach cottage. The service was outstanding! We will most definitely return.
3 night business trip Jan 25, 2013

"could be better"
could be better
1 night business trip Jan 7, 2015
jonathan
"noise"
loved this hotel tip ruined by noise of trucks unloading and banging room 747 terrible
1 night trip with friends Jan 8, 2015
jonathan
Really wonderful hotel. Will stay there again definitely.
Other trip Jan 6, 2015
Noosa Heads
"Disappointing overall"
We paid $800 per night. The room was consistent with broadly this price, the view was priceless. HOWEVER, the service was patchy - some excellent staff but others were too interested in looking cool. What was disappointing was that having paid $800 per night, to include wifi, the wifi signal was virtually non-existent. When I complained they told me I had to pay for what effectively was just regular internet. The hotel has sun beds on the beach but they also want to charge $30 per bed per day to use them. If only the hotel was as cheap as the management.
Other trip Nov 28, 2014
"Convenient location in Santa Monica"
We had wanted to stay at this hotel since our last visit where we were at Casa Del Mar. The architecture and interiors are beautifully done and resemble a Cape Cod beach house. The rooms are very small and cramped with low ceilings in the entry. They are, however, well appointed. The bathrooms are dated and in need of refurbishment. The staff uniforms are terrific and befitting of the style of the hotel. Very brand aligned. The service was very hit and miss. We found quite a number of staff quite snooty and indifferent. They often forgot that they are there to service the guests. incredible really when I find that service in the US hotel industry is of a generally high standard. Not a single person assisted my family on departure with 10 bags and 3 children in tow. They weren't busy; they were quite apathetic. I wouldnt return simply because of the inconsistent service. Judging by other reviews are there is a systemic problem here. I doubt it will change.
Response by Shutters on the Beach
Dear Traveler, Thank you for joining us at the beach. I am sorry to hear that our service during your stay did not meet your expectations and our usually high standards. My sincerest apologies for any issues regarding the attitudes and attentiveness of our staff that you experienced. Thank you for bringing this feedback to my attention, each review helps us to improve. Sincerely, Gregory Day, General Manager Shutters on the Beach
Other trip Oct 20, 2014
"Santa Monica"
Brilliant,food,staff, hotel and a heatwave Expensive but brilliant
Other trip Sep 21, 2014
"Great...again!"
We were married here 3 years ago. Returned for our anniversary anniversary and it was as wonderful as we remembered. Upgraded to a fantastic corner unit on 5th floor with great ocean view. Only negative was that there was a convention if some sort here so hotel was very crowded.
1 night trip Jul 16, 2014
Frank & Christina
"Lovely Hotel Staff extremely helpful and welcoming"
This has to be one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in and I would recommend this to anyone. From arrival to departure the staff at the hotel looked after us extremely well making the stay feel very special.
Other trip Jun 30, 2014
BigAl
"Great hotel on the beach"
An excellent position. Everything is close by. Pool overlooking beach is great and service excellent.
Other trip Jun 22, 2014
Maggie
"It was okay, valet horrible"
When we drove up, I was disappointed. Entered hotel, dark - further disappointed. Had to transfer from one elevator to the next to get to our room. Room was cramped with tons of tables and shelves, but they were all filled with their stuff, no real space for our suitcases and purses and bags. Made it difficult to move around in. The sleep was great. Valet didn't get our car when we called and then proceeded to lie to us and told us that it was sent back. We came out immediately after calling. That didn't happen. The best thing would have been for them to admit the truth - they dropped the ball! For the price I would not recommend this place at all. Not worth it! V
Response by Shutters on the Beach
Dear Disappointed Frequent Traveler, Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I am sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations and apologize for the setbacks you encountered with valet. We take honesty and integrity extremely seriously and I personally investigated this matter. From our CCTV, I can confirm that the car in question was brought up, and then back down again. Although sending the car back to the garage was certainly an error, for which we truly apologize, the integrity of the valet staff is intact. Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention. Sincerely, Gregory Day, General Manager Shutters on the Beach
1 night trip Jun 3, 2014
Disappointed Frequent Traveler
"Gorgeous hotel right on the beach"
A lovely hotel, very comfy rooms and helpful staff
Other trip May 23, 2014
lou
"A little advice!"
We had just stayed at 5 other hotels before this one and all of the hotels were wonderful and so we compared shutters to them and they lacked in a few categories. They knew it was my 60th birthday just like all the other hotels and they were lacklustre about it. Of course I knew what the other hotels had done to help "kick it up" for the occasion. The staff were not as friendly as the other hotels and we were paying the same kind of fees to stay at all of them and so they should feel somewhat the same. They need a lesson in customer service and what customers expect when they are paying. $500.00 plus per night. Mgmt should check out the service standards at the four seasons Biltmore if they want to see what I mean! I was disappointed for sure!
Other trip May 15, 2014
"Lovely, colonial style hotel on the beach."
Lovely pool area with deck overlooking beach. Very nice casual restaurant Coast. Easy walk to Pier and main shopping area
Other trip Apr 23, 2014
DJ
"Amazing small hotel. Wonderful surprise."
If you prefer a quiet little hotel on the beach at Santa Monica this is for you. What a wonderful surprise to find such a pretty and intermit accommodation. We both felt relaxed from the moment we walked in the doors. We were frightened that staying in a hotel over the Christmas period would be a bit noisy but we had none of that. Having flown in from the UK Christmas Eve there was something very special about our whole experience. The rooms & facilities are excellent. The staff helpful. & accommodating. Our trip & stay was much too short only 2 nights, really must stay longer next time. We will be back.
Other trip Jan 9, 2014
Clare
"Reasonable not brilliant"
Wouldn't stay here again.
Response by Shutters on the Beach
Dear A traveler, We are so sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your stay at Shutters on the Beach. We try to ensure the best customer service and we appreciate your invaluable feedback. Gregory Day, General Manager Shutters on the Beach
1 night business trip Dec 29, 2013
"Superb location"
Great hotel, excellent staff, very comfortable - would certainly stay here again
Other trip Oct 24, 2013
Alan
"One of the best hotels ever"
We have stayed in some fantastic hotels throughout the world , but shutters really is very very special , it's got that rare combination of ultimate luxury , yet feels so homely . Location is fantastic on the sea front , we wished we had more time to stay , I was sad to leave . Staff were very helpful & friendly . We really couldn't find fault with anything . Already planning a return trip all the way from Ireland .
Other trip Oct 11, 2013
kari
"Location, location, location"
Situated on Venice / Muscle Beach, Sanat Monica, LA - a wonderful location if you are looking for sun, sea and fun. Busling atmoshere and the occasion celeb hanging out. Absolutely loved it
2 night trip Oct 6, 2013
Charlie G
"Beach holiday"
4 tables for outside eating and drinking was a joke For the size of hotel it was rediculous
2 night romance trip Sep 29, 2013
NW
"Overpriced"
This is a lovely hotel in a good location but it's too expensive. The rooms are beautifully decorated but not overly large, we had a view of the street which meant that traffic noise, sirens etc were audible throughout the day and into the evening.
Other trip Sep 17, 2013
"great holiday hotel"
Amazing hotel! great staff and great experience...... one thing i was a little shocked on is that they charge you for internet use...this day and age this should be free of charge.
Other trip Mar 30, 2013
"A little bit of Luxury"
I first visited Shutters with my daughter a couple of years ago, then it was just for lunch but Iknew my husband would love it so this year brought him for a treat. Unfortunately we were only able to sat one night as we had to move on. He was just as taken with the style and comfort as I was and we will return ! We have photos , which we will send on. Our friends back here in England love the look of both the interior decor and the stunning facade both by day and night. Our only disappointment was that we were not able to eat in the dining room as it was closed for a private function that night. We enjoyed a meal in the lovely hotel next door but really didnt want to leave the comfort and ambience of Shutters which was very much more our style.
Other trip Mar 12, 2013
JANE AND DAN

"ホテルの雰囲気はとてもよい"
宿泊客は、無料で自転車を借りることができたので、とても便利でした。 プールも、温水プールもあり、子供連れでもまた来たいホテルです。 帰国後、請求書を確認した際、プール再度で食事を1度しかしていないのに、3度したことになっており、身に覚えのない請求があり、今、カード会社を通じて確認中です。全てよかっただけに、そのことだけが残念でなりません。
3 night family trip Sep 1, 2015
"sådär"
lite stökig vistelse. smutsigt på rummet och blev matförgiftad efter en lunch och middag på hotellet
2 night family trip Sep 1, 2015
SE
"ビーチに近く、老舗なホテル"
老舗なホテルの、サービスが行き届いてる。ホテルは昔ながらの、雰囲気が最高です。 しかし、レストランなどの、スタッフの対応はやや残念。
Other trip Sep 3, 2015
TAM
"最高に気持ちが良いほて"
オーシャンビューの部屋に泊まりました。波の音を聴きながら窓を開けて昼寝をしましたが楽しそうな人の声、波の音、少しうるさいヘリの音さえ気持ち良く感じました。 是非次回は連泊したいと思います。 素晴らしい時間を有難う。
Other trip Oct 24, 2014
東京のMr.T
"emplacement exceptionnel"
hotel parfait
7 night family trip Aug 4, 2014
denise
FR
"Bedre kan det knapt bli!"
Fantastisk hotell, med dyktig betjening.
7 night family trip Jul 2, 2014
"セレブ気分を満喫"
素人が撮影しても絵になる風景のなか、客層もファッショナブルなセレブな人たちばかり。スタッフの対応も良く気分良く過ごせました。レストランで夕食と朝食を頂きましたが盛りつけも味も良かったです。
1 night family trip Jul 21, 2014
"サービスは最高です"
眺めが全くない、残念な部屋でしたが、サービスはとても気持ちがよく、また滞在したいと思わせるものでした。レストランのサーバーもとてもフレンドリーで、食事もおいしく、満足でした。 設備面では、バスルームの塗装が剥げていたり、カビが生えていたり、シンクの栓が壊れたりと、メンテナンスに費用をかけていないことがあからさまで、ホテルの値段には見合わない状況でした。ベッドのスプリングも古くなっているのを感じました。そろそろ投資をして、リノベーションをしたほうがよいと思います。設備の老朽化を考慮してもまた泊まりたいです。
3 night romance trip Mar 20, 2014
johnyuki
"Fabelaktig beliggenhet"
Dette er måten å oppleve Santa Monica på!! Spis frokost på koselige Coast før du rusler ut på Santa Monica Boulevard og opplever folkelivet på stranden. Det er bare en liten gåtur fra både selve Santa Monica Pier og handlegatene. Hotellet la meget godt til rette for at vi hadde med oss en liten en. Eneste negative var at vi glemte igjen noen verdisaker på hotellet etter avreise og måtte kontakte hotellet noen dager etterpå for å høre om de hadde funnet noe. Verdisakene var allerede funnet, men jeg var overasket at de ikke tok kontakt med meg umiddelbart da de ble funnet.
2 night family trip Mar 9, 2014
прекрасный отель!все отлично
3 night romance trip Sep 29, 2013
Елена
RU
Immer wieder gern im Shutters, dem perfekten Hotel am Strand von Santa Monica. Die Lage ist einzigartig (daher auch der Preis). Zimmer u Hotel insgesamt sehr gemütlich. Zu empfehlen ist das Frühstück im "Coast".
2 night trip Sep 21, 2013