All hotels in Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here55 East Ontario Street, Chicago, IL, 60611, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

4.8
"Wonderful location for shopping and sightseeing"
This hotel was in the perfect location for easy access to museums, dining, and shopping. Everything we wanted to see or do was within walking distance, and the area was clean and safe. Our room was amazingly quiet and very well designed.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Jan, As many before you have also mentioned our location is tough to beat and I am glad that all of the attractions you were interested in were within walking distance. I am happy to hear that the room was nice and quiet for you so that you could get some rest and recharge before another day of shopping and sight seeing. Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback regarding your most recent stay at The James.
Other trip Jan 1, 2015
Jan
"James Chicago"
The hotel was beautiful, and in a perfect location. My husband and I came for a Christmas getaway. The doorman was always so pleasant, friendly and helpful. The front desk however, was not. I felt like a bother when I stopped up to ask a couple questions. Other than that, we would stay here again.
Response by The James Chicago
I'm glad you chose The James Chicago for your Christmas getaway with your husband. I do apologize for the experience you had at the front desk, the front desk team is more than happy to answer any questions you may have and assist you with any requests. Our guests are never a bother. Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback regarding your most recent stay at The James.
2 night romance trip Dec 24, 2014
"Great place for the money"
We wanted a quiet place to go to sans the children. Comfortable. Great rate. QUIET. We'll be back.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Anna, I'm happy to hear that The James was the ideal location for you to escape and enjoy the time alone without children. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next escape, sans children.
1 night romance trip Dec 27, 2014
Anna
Staff was exceptional Valet is a mess. Takes 30 to get car and cost is exorbitant $60 a night
Response by The James Chicago
I would like to personally apologize for the length of time it took to retrieve your vehicle from our valet team, as it should not have taken that long. I am pleased however that you were satisfied with the service you received from our staff. The service our staff offers is our number one priority! Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback regarding your most recent stay at The James.
Other trip Dec 29, 2014
"Nice hotel, great downtown location"
We have stayed at The James many times and have never had a problem. Great location and friendly staff.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear lucas, Thank you very much for being a returning guest to The James. It is the ultimate compliment to any hotel to have guests continue to return especially in Chicago when there are so many other options. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Chicago.
Other trip Dec 22, 2014
lucas
"Well located, upper floors are quieter than lower"
Right in the heart of downtown Chicago, the James is well situated. Dining and shopping are right out the door.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Laura, Location, location, location! The James is situated just one block off Michigan Ave. so it is within walking distance to most attractions but does not have as much foot traffic as Michigan Ave. When in Chicago again we look forward to welcoming you back to The James.
Other trip Dec 19, 2014
"Trendy and friendly"
What a great hotel! My husband stays here when he is in town for work but it was also great for our family when we tagged along on one of his trips. It is trendy but practical. We had a loft room which was plenty of room for us and our toddler. I requested a quiet room so that our toddler who goes to bed at 730pm would not be woken up and they accomadated us. The David Burke restaurant in the hotel is amazing. We had dinner one night and even though its prices are regular for steakhouses they were more then welcoming to our toddler. They have an impressive kids menu that our son loved! All of the staff was so helpful-especially belldesk and guys at the front door. You are really close to all the great restaurants and shops. This hotel is a great value for how wonderful it is!
Response by The James Chicago
Dear malia, Thank you for taking the time to offer some kind words regarding your recent stay at The James. Our loft suites are a great option for families as they provide space for everyone. I am happy to hear that the menu at Primehouse was up to the standards of your toddler, normally a very tough task, and that they were very accommodating to your family. With such a positive overall trip we hope to welcome you back during your next visit to Chicago.
3 night family trip Dec 14, 2014
malia
"Christmas visit"
tenth visit and still great.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Michael, Thank you for being such a frequent visitor to The James, it really does mean so much to us when guests choose to continually stay at The James with so many other options in the city. Hope to see you again soon!
3 night romance trip Dec 11, 2014
"Who designed the room?"
Convenient location and very nice, helpful staff. What a great start...and then the disappointment of a room with furniture that is frankly goofy and does not fit the layout (an obstacle course to get in/around), a squealing shower and a slow draining tub. Is it that hard to get things right inside the room?
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Brian, Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback regarding your most recent stay at The James. I am disappointed to hear that the quality of the room furnishings were not up to your standards. We do try to blend stylish with comfort. That being said I am glad that our staff and our location were able to improve your stay and your experience in Chicago.
Other trip Dec 14, 2014
"Chicago"
great staff. Friendly service all around.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Tom, I am happy to hear that the service you experienced was friendly and up to the top notch standards that we expect from all of our team members. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Chicago.
2 night business trip Dec 10, 2014
"You won't be disappointed"
Enjoyed the hotel. Great vibe and close to fabulous restaurants and shopping. I would stay here again.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Danette, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the atmosphere while staying at The James and that the location met all of your needs. We would be more than happy to welcome you back during your next visit to Chicago.
2 night trip with friends Dec 6, 2014
Danette
"Enjoyed our visit at The James"
We visit Chicago twice a year and try to stay in a new hotel each time. The James has an excellent location, just off Michigan Avenue and close to many shops and restaurants. Check-in was pleasant and efficient and valet parking was convenient. There's not much to the lobby bar, so we opted to have drinks elsewhere. We were on the 7th floor, street view. A stay on a higher floor would have afforded us a better city view. The bed was comfortable, and the shower was hot and strong. We liked the organic minty shampoo and body wash in the shower. Bathroom was otherwise small. The room was modern and well appointed. Our only complaint was the hairdryer. I didn't bring my own and the one provided got hot but barely blew air and it took a long time to dry my hair. The staff was professional and courteous. For the price, though, I'd just as soon stay at The Acme or The Wit..
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Angela, Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback regarding your recent stay at The James. Our central location is a true asset and I am glad that you were able to walk to many of the attractions you were interested in. The Intelligent Nutrients bath products that are in all of our guest rooms are amazing and a great way to wake up in the morning!
2 night romance trip Dec 5, 2014
Angela
"Excellent stay as usual"
Excellent, everything went as planned, room was great.
Response by The James Chicago
It's always nice when everything goes as planned. I am glad that everything went well during your stay at The James and we look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Chicago.
1 night romance trip Dec 6, 2014
"Not sure 4.6 stars accurate rating"
We were a little disappointed that this hotel is rated at almost 5 stars. We stayed on the top floor, 17 and it was so incredibly noisy at night with sirens, etc. it woke us out of a dead sleep. The beds were small, and the room amenities were not user friendly. The rooms were large and the staff was very nice.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Mary M., I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced in regards to the noise levels in your room. While we do consider our guests comfort a top priority at The James unfortunately the city at night doesn't always agree. I am happy to hear that our staff and the service they provided were up to your standards. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Chicago.
2 night family trip Dec 5, 2014
MARY M
"Very helpful front desk staff"
The bedding is exceptional. Bathroom OK - very small, not at all luxurious. The rooms have lots of outlets and the right amount of furniture. The ambience is chic and young. I had a very comfortable stay
Response by The James Chicago
Dear BARBARA, First of all, thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback regarding your recent stay at The James. Our beds are wonderful and make for a great nights sleep! I am glad to hear that overall your stay was very comfortable and we do hope to welcome you back soon.
Other trip Dec 8, 2014
BARBARA
"Perfect spot for a weekend downtown"
Perfect location near shipping and restsurants. Great, simple room. Great staff. Loved the the restaurant suggestions. Would stay again.
1 night romance trip Nov 28, 2014
Rachel
"Comfort in the heart of the City"
Traveled to Chicago for a business conference and stayed at the James for three nights. The hotel was quiet and well located. Very comfortable room, friendly staff, nice gym and just around the corner from Eataly. What could be better. My room did not have a view and that was the only thing that was missing. I like the small lobby so you don't feel on display when you go and come from you hotel room
Response by The James Chicago
Being located just one block off of Michigan Ave. is a great bonus for us to have. The onsite gym at The James is top notch and was designed by Equinox fitness. Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback regarding your recent stay at The James.
Other trip Nov 22, 2014
"Nice Location"
Nice Room but felt a little worn down, still comfortable and clean - staff were all very nice and accommodating - shower was terrible - tub felt cheap and shower head did not move
Response by The James Chicago
Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback regarding your most recent visit to The James. I would like to personally apologize for your room not being up to your standards or ours. On the other hand I am happy to hear that our staff was very accommodating during your stay, they are our most valuable asset. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Chicago.
"Amazing hotel"
Me and my wife stayed here while going to a Concert at Chicago Theater. The staff and room was amazing. They actually have comfortable beds, unlike many other hotels. We had a great time!
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Nic, Our beds are amazing! They are my personal favorite aspect of our rooms. I hope your concert went well and that The James team was able to enhance your visit to Chicago. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Chicago.
Other trip Nov 18, 2014
Nic
"great hotel"
Great room. Clean, very comfortable around the corner from shopping and restaurants. Cant wait to return
Response by The James Chicago
Our great location is an amazing built in amenity that we are able to offer guests of The James. During your next visit you should take advantage of our concierge team and they can make sure you see all the attractions you wish and restaurants you would like to dine at. Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback regarding your most recent stay at The James.
2 night trip Nov 7, 2014
"Girls Get Away.........Perfect !"
I had a very pleasant stay at the James. The room was very comfortable. Amenities were perfect and the staff was very helpful. I look forward to my next stay at the James.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear M DIANNE, Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback regarding your recent stay at The James. It is great to hear that your girls get away was such a success! We also anticipate your next stay at The James. It will give you a chance to experience anything you may have missed during your first visit.
2 night trip with friends Nov 5, 2014
M DIANNE
"Trendy downtown stay"
The location is awesome, but parking was a bit of a letdown. Paying $45 for self park, or $60 for valet is a bit ridiculous. Overall though, awesome place.
Other trip Nov 2, 2014
"Almost Perfect"
Great Location, Great Service, Comfortable bed. There was more street noise that I expected. I felt gauged at being charged $60 per night for parking. The room was decorated ultra modern.
Response by The James Chicago
Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback regarding your recent stay at The James. Our great location goes without saying; we are located within walking distance to so many of Chicago's best attractions. The service our team members provide is the most important thing to us and I am happy to hear that this stood out to you during your stay. I do apologize for the price of the parking and I wish there was something I could do but unfortunately with various city required taxes that is about average for valet parking downtown. During your next visit to Chicago I would like to recommend taking public transportation, it is convenient, a great way to see the city, and much more economical.
2 night romance trip Oct 24, 2014
Would not consider this hotel anything higher than a 4 star, everyone was very nice but the amenities were limited.
Other trip Oct 21, 2014
Chicagoan
"Nice Boutique Hotel in a Great Location"
The James Hotel is in a great location with outstanding service. They are surrounded by notable restaurants: Eataly, David Burke Steakhouse and a Shake Shack opening very soon.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Ted, Like most people it sounds like you weren't sure where to stop and eat at next! There are more than enough options for everyone, especially David Burke's Primehouse, voted #1 steakhouse by Chicago magazine. In addition to dining you mentioned our service, which is the reason our team members are in the hospitality industry; to offer outstanding service to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Chicago.
2 night trip Oct 16, 2014
Ted
"Wonderful Fall Break trip to Chicago"
The staff and door men at The James were super friendly and helpful. The hotel was so conveniently located that we walked everywhere. The rooms were clean and well stocked. We are already talking about staying there when we go back for Christmas
Other trip Oct 17, 2014
kathi
Great stay. Especially useful was the late checkout.
Other trip Oct 15, 2014
"Perfect Girlfriend Getaway"
Six girlfriends shared three rooms and we had a lovely stay. The bar was great and Jamie, the Bellman was so wonderful! We literally walked everywhere we wanted to go and were thrilled that we were so close to everything. We all agreed that we would happily stay here again.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Clara, It sounds like your girlfriends getaway at The James was a huge success. I am glad Jamie was able to make things that much better for you, he is a true asset to our team. Our location does offer the ability to walk to most places and I'm glad the weather cooperated with you enabling you to walk. Hopefully your girlfriend getaway becomes an annual event and The James is your go to hotel.
3 night trip Oct 7, 2014
Clara
"Good times"
The people make the trip, and the people who work here are top notch, especially Jamie at the door and Stacie in the restaurant. Also, don't stay here if you don't plan on eating at the Primehouse--it's delicious!
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Eric, I couldn't agree more in regards to the people making the trip! I will be more than happy to pass along your kind words to both Jamie and Stacie. David Burke's Primehouse is a great place to dine for any meal and you are correct you should not pass up the opportunity when you visit The James. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Chicago.
2 night family trip Oct 8, 2014
"James Hotel Review"
This was a lovely boutique hotel. The property was clean, fresh and updated. It was close to everything we wanted to do and had a wonderful restaurant. I would certainly stay here again while visiting Chicago.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Janet, I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at The James. David Burke's Primehouse, which was voted the #1 steakhouse in Chicago, is excellent for any meal. I'm glad you were able to dine there. When returning to Chicago we look forward to welcoming you back. Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback.
2 night trip with friends Sep 16, 2014
Janet
"Great Location, Great Staff, Great Hotel"
I spent 4 days/nights in Chicago for my birthday and stayed at the James Hotel. When I arrived, the front desk was extremely friendly, helpful and welcoming. The lobby was buzzing with action. Being situated with the #1 rated steakhouse in Chicago doesn't hurt either. The room was suite and relatively spacious. The doormen were all very friendly and courteous. The thing that I liked the most was the location. The hotel is situated very close to several first rate restaurants and the Magnificient Mile which is great for shoppers.
Other trip Oct 9, 2014
"Great!"
Amazing hotel with wonderful staff and service. Would stay again. Only complaint would be the amount of alcohol in the room. Although I realize not a problem for many/ as non-drinkers, it seemed excessive. When asked to have alcohol removed, we were told of a $75 charge to do so. We opted not to have it removed- but an "alcohol free" option of rooms for non/drinker might be nice.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear H, I am very happy to hear that our staff was very accommodating to you during your stay at The James. I am upset to hear that there was some miscommunication in regards to removing your mini bar. While there is a charge to remove the mini bar items it is only $25. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Chicago. Please mention this review and we will waive the fee to remove the mini bar.
1 night trip Oct 2, 2014
H
"Long weekend"
The hotel is in a great location, the staff was very helpful and polite.
Other trip Oct 8, 2014
"Great Location, Great Service, Great Hotel"
This hotel is great. It's a boutique hotel, but very well done. Extremely comfortable. The staff were very welcoming and helpful with directions, baggage and recommendations. First time in Chicago and it was a great one. Would stay here again and again.
Response by The James Chicago
I am very happy that you enjoyed your first trip to Chicago and your stay at The James. The service that our team members provide is of the utmost importance to us so it is great to hear that this is one aspect that stood out to you. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Chicago.
1 night trip with friends Oct 5, 2014
"Downtown Chicago Hotel"
Beautiful hotel. Loved the art in the rooms and on display. Loved the robes and toiletries provided. Only downside was our toilet creaked every time I sat on it (I am not big).
Other trip Oct 7, 2014
Indiana Mom
"Outstanding place to stay"
Very professional staff, was able to use their bikes at no cost for a lovely ride along the lake. Beds are very comfortable.
Other trip Oct 4, 2014
"Great Staff and service!!!"
The staff was excellent and service was wonderful. I loved the hotel!
Other trip Oct 3, 2014
I had a very positive experience at The James Hotel. The staff member that greeted me was very helpful and hospitable. We sought the advice of the Concierge an hour later and had the same experience. She provided us with some simple must sees as our trip was short and it was my first time visiting Chicago. The room was spacious, clean, well planned out. We will definitely stay there again.
Other trip Oct 1, 2014
Reagan
"Hard to Beat"
Lovely hotel with nice amenities (had to laugh at "gluten-free" shampoo and conditioner though). Perfect location for our weekend activities. Bar service was worthless first night but improved after that. Would definitely stay here again.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Ramsey Doran, The Intelligent Nutrients bath products that are in all of our guest rooms are really amazing, and yes, gluten free. Being in the location that we are puts so many great attractions within walking distance. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Chicago.
4 night business trip Sep 25, 2014
Ramsey Doran
"Wonderful option"
And a great location.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Gary, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and loved our location, it really is in an ideal spot for restaurants and shopping. If you get the chance you'll have to take the chance to check out our property in New York.
1 night business trip Sep 27, 2014
Staff was nice. Rooms were small. We stayed during the week day. You could hear all the noises from out side. We have stayed at other hotels that were nearby. And did not have that problem at all. It reminded us of a over prices motel6. Will never come back again
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Brian, Thank you for taking time out to offer some feedback regarding your recent stay at The James. I am very disappointed to hear that your stay was less than pleasant and that we did not live up to the expectations that you had. We do hope that in the future you give us a second chance to show you all that we have to offer.
3 night family trip Sep 23, 2014
"Very Hip, Great Location"
Terrific hotel, great location. Rooms are unique, especially the King Loft, as the loft ara is a very cool hang-out bed with a projector and audio/visual, but unfortunately NO TV hook-up in the loft. So watching a game or such requires the uncomfortable sofa, but still a great stay.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Eldub44, I am glad you were able to experience one of our Loft king suites during your stay. Unfortunately we are currently in the process of switching TV providers and replacing projectors so in the near future we will have the capability to watch TV on them. So the next time you come to visit you should be able to lounge and watch a game.
4 night business trip Sep 12, 2014
Eldub44
"Perfect location"
Great mini bar and mini frig in the room with drinks and snacks. Very comfortable lighting, nice size room, staff are excellent. Location is convenient to the art museum, restaurants.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Cathy, It sounds like you had a great trip and were able to take advantage of both the hotel and the surrounding attractions. Our fully stocked mini bars are a great amenity to have access to if you just need a quiet night in the room. Thank you for taking time to offer some feedback regarding your recent stay at The James Chicago.
3 night family trip Sep 18, 2014
Cathy
"Great location, loved the linens and beds!"
Great staff, clean, modern hotel with the best linens and amazing mattress. They don't skimp on towels- they are bath sheets. Starbucks via coffee and tea in room. Gym was great. The only downside was no pool. Spa ans massage onsite. Not a single complaint about our stay.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Joan, I am glad to hear that you had a great stay with us at The James Chicago. The beds in our rooms are truly amazing. In addition to the Starbuck via instant packets in your guest room we also offer complimentary Lavazza brand coffee in the lobby every morning. While unfortunately we do not have a pool we do share access with the neighboring hotel right across the street. I hope that you were able to take advantage of the Spa services while you were here, if not maybe that can be a treat for your next visit to Chicago.
4 night trip Sep 13, 2014
Joan
"The best"
This is by far the best hotel I have stayed at in Chicago. The room was very clean. The staff was very friendly. Plus the location was great.
Other trip Sep 19, 2014
maly
"Nice hotel right downtown"
Close to everything. Loved the art in the hotel. The staff that handled the room service was a bit rude but the rest of the experience was good. Clean rooms in a pretty cool hotel.
Response by The James Chicago
I am glad that you took noticed and enjoyed the art that is throughout the hotel. It comes to us from the local Monique Meloche gallery and if you were interested many of the pieces are available for purchase. I do apologize for the experience you had with our in room dining team, that is certainly unacceptable and not up to our standard of service. Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback regarding your recent stay at The James Chicago.
1 night business trip Sep 3, 2014
"Excellent Base For Working From"
Excellent base for doing business in the windy city. Room very comfortable and easy to work out of. Location is ideal for restaurants and safe for walking around in the evening.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Hamish Mitchell, I am very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us at The James Chicago! It sounds like you were very productive during your time in Chicago, being able to both work and enjoy yourself. I hope the weather was cooperative during your evening walks and that you tried some great restaurants. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Chicago.
2 night business trip Sep 9, 2014
Hamish Mitchell
"Close to Magnificent Mile and short walk to subway"
Beautiful hotel and very close to shopping and subway.
Other trip Sep 6, 2014
"Never Disappointed"
This is our fourth stay at the James in as many years. We drive from Texas to visit family and friends. The location is great and we can easily walk to major attractions and restaurants. The staff is so helpful and friendly. We reported two minor problems in our room and they were literally fixed within 10 minutes of our request. We used the work out facility and enjoyed the treadmill. We wouldn't think of staying anywhere else and look forward to our summer trip to Chicago.
Response by The James Chicago
Dear Susan D., First of all, thank you for being a return guest and for taking time to offer some feedback regarding your recent stay at The James. I do apologize for any issues there were with the room but I am glad they were quickly rectified by our team. I commend your dedication to working out in our Equinox designed gym while on vacation, most people would not have your self discipline. Continue to have safe travels and we look forward to seeing you next summer.
2 night trip Sep 1, 2014
Susan D
Wonderful stay at a wonderful hotel located near everything you could possibly want to do.
Other trip Sep 5, 2014