All hotels in San Diego, California, United States of America

Rather comfortable
    Awesome vibe
  • Bar
    Standard bar
I dont say it is bad, but, I expected much better Hotel for the price I paid.
Other trip May 5, 2015
"Hidden gem"
I stayed at the hotel for a conference I was attending at the Grant hotel. It was an amazing experience. I've stayed at other hotels in the gaslamp but this was my first time staying at the Gaslamp and I was thorougly impressed. I was treated like a king and I felt so comfortable in the room. I will definitely stay at the hotel again.
Other trip Apr 30, 2015
Shamar
Second time staying here. Both times were great and I would recommend.
Other trip Apr 28, 2015
We stay at this hotel quite often. Very nice european decor. Very good food. Hate the $15.00 "surcharge" and the unreasonable high parking rate.
Other trip Apr 27, 2015
Hotel was not a value. The rooms were run down and dusty. For the price per night I expected more.
Other trip Apr 16, 2015
"nice hotel and location"
Hotel was very nice. Did not give a 5 star because bed was higher in the center and we kept rolling off to the sides. Overall hotel was very nice.
2 night romance trip Apr 11, 2015
"Old & sad."
Very disappointed. Stayed there in 2001 when it was beautiful. It is rated 4 star on your website & it is barely a 2. The street below our window was being repaired & the machines went on all night. No heads up by the hotel personnel. We had to ask to be moved. This hotel needs a total renovation. The competition is steep & they are way behind. Would not recommend.
2 night romance trip Apr 11, 2015
LoRee
"Great for girl's weekend!"
The hotel is close to lots of things to do, restuarants, night life. Nice restaurant inside hotel as well. Staff was very nice, room was always taken care of, loved the counter space in the bathroom! I'd stay there again.
Other trip Apr 13, 2015
"Great downtown location"
This was a great experience. The hotel was wonderful. Close to shopping, Gaslamp district, and short taxi ride to the convention center. The staff was attentive and wonderful to work with during our stay.
Other trip Apr 13, 2015
"Great location, old charm"
Great location. Old charm...beautiful hotel. One afternoon they had a harpist playing and it created such a lovely ambiance. SLOW service near the pool but quick service to the rooms. I would stay again.
2 night family trip Mar 27, 2015
"Loved our stay at Westgate"
This hotel couldn't be more beautiful and the staff was excellent! I would go back there for sure if I ever return to San Diego.
Other trip Apr 5, 2015
Judy
"Business trip"
Beautiful hotel. Very close to Horton Plaza. Couple of blocks from 5th street resturants. Best sushi anywhere, right across the street. Try St Tropaz across the street for great coffee and quick breakfast. Breakfast really freash Orange juice and pancakes in hotel were the best I have ever eaten! Nice walk to Convention center but very manageable. Trolly a few steps away. Staff always there for your questions. Rooms very big and beds comfortable with lots of pillows.
Other trip Apr 4, 2015
Bobbie
"Pros and cons"
Beautiful old hotel that has been restored. Despite the fanciness of the hotel and furnishings overall, there were definitely issues that reduced our enjoyment during our stay. The noise level is what I'd expect from a Motel 6; the convenience of trolley stop comes with a definite price - noise of the trolley horns all night long, people having loud public fights complete with screaming obscenities, etc. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad had we been on the other side of the building. Walking distance to places we wanted to go (Gaslamp Quarter, Convention Center) was reasonable, keeping in mind that the right footwear is a necessity. Generally clean, especially in public areas, but there were a few issues - large stains on the carpet that had me wondering if the source was a dead body or vomitus, old makeup caked on the handle of the hair dryer.... There was more than once instance of front desk staff not being aware of their own written policies (opening times of services, etc.) or not following through on their own statements. Check-in was a problem and much delayed.We found out at the time of check-in about the required extra room fee (for services that we would not have used) on top of what had already been paid through the website. The rest of the staff was great. The outdoor pool and hot tub on the third floor were wonderful and very well-serviced. Listening to soft jazz in the hot tub while the sun comes up is hard to beat.
5 night romance trip Mar 26, 2015
"great location, great experience"
This hotel was lovely. The best thing is its great location a couple of blocks from the gaslamp district & about a 15 minute walk from the seafront (with the USS Midway, ferry to Coronado, whale watching tours & the maritime museum) as well as on the route for buses going to Balboa Park (which is fantastic). The room was enormous! It was clean and well maintained. The minor downsides were that although the layout meant you could sometimes hear next door's room service/cleaners arriving, and that some of the fittings were a little dated, but overall it was a great room. The 3rd floor rooftop pool is excellent and you can get food/drink there too. The breakfasts in the restaurant were excellent, and the deli in the first floor (it's outside the hotel but attached to it) was excellent. There were also nice little touches, like they sent fresh lemonade & chocolates to the room when I arrived!
Other trip Mar 31, 2015
Harriette
"The front desk staff should go back to school."
I booked two rooms for my staff members because they had business in San Diego and needed hotel rooms for one night. I booked 2 rooms for one night. It turned out their business required another night's stay. So early in the morning on the check out day, I called the front desk and requested that the hotel extend their stay by one more night. The front desk person said there were rooms available but I had to pay the regular price of $490 a night. I said I saw on my computer screen, as we speak, that the $249 rate was still available on Expedia. The staff member said she could not give me that rate. While we were talking on the phone, I already finished booking 2 rooms on Expedia and the front desk person got the Expedia confirmation and then confirmed that my staff members could stay an extra night. I asked to make sure they didn't have to check out of their rooms and then check in to another room, and I was assured that they could keep the same rooms and everything was taken care of. Well, when my staff members returned to the hotel around 5 p.m. they were locked out of their rooms and the front desk person who was there at the time had no information of my prior transactions. I asked her to check and she put me on hold for 10 minutes and then disconnected me. I called back and was told the problem was solved but I know that's not true because my staff member was calling me on my cell saying they were still locked out. The problem was solved after multiple calls
Other trip Mar 29, 2015
Lynda
Hotel is older but well maintained and a very pretty hotel. Excellent location. Staff is friendly and very helpful.
Other trip Mar 16, 2015
"gorgeous comfy and central"
Fantastic. Everything was very well maintained.
4 night business trip Mar 4, 2015
dianne
Very friendly and helpful staff. I didn't eat at the hotel but that's only because of the many nearby offerings. Nice place!
Other trip Mar 5, 2015
Lovely, elegant hotel in a great location. Pleasant staff. Quiet, large rooms with every comfort. I was there for business, but hope to return soon for pleasure. Highly recommend!
Other trip Mar 4, 2015
Deborah
"Wonderful Hotel & Staff"
This was the third time we have stayed at The Westgate and every time we enjoy it more. It is in walking distance to Horton Plaza, Gaslamp Quarter, and Seaport Village. The staff is always attentive to your needs, and the atmosphere of the Hotel is extremely classy, old world charm, but warming at the same time. We visit San Diego three or four times a year and this will be the go to stop for us.
3 night romance trip Feb 19, 2015
Ralph E
"Classy Hotel... in the 80's"
I am perplexed about this review. This hotel has many amenities, a great staff and was very clean. The Decor was not at all to our liking, but I know that's just my opinion and it may suit others very well. It was very European and was dated. Furthermore, the entire hotel (rooms/lobby/etc.) smelled like an old museum. After we opened up the window and aired out the room, it was very pleasant. It seems like they could install a system to help generate a fresh smell throughout the hotel (?).
Other trip Feb 23, 2015
Ray
"it was a very pleasant stay"
nice facility pool workout room and just overall cleanliness
Other trip Feb 22, 2015
Silky
"Like staying in Paris"
A wonderful hotel that is a throw back to Paris in the 1800's. Beautiful and elegant. The food in the restaurant was outstanding; fabulous - worthy of a great French restaurant. The service in the hotel however was lacking and not up to the level of the rest of the hotel. We had a conference room and the service was abysmal. The rooms need some updating too - outlets! - it's 2015! Overall a wonderful place.
2 night business trip Feb 17, 2015
"The Westgate Hotel"
The room was very nice, and the staff was GREAT ! I had a great view from the 18th floor.
Other trip Feb 20, 2015
"Very clean And Nice hotel classy!!!"
Great hotel,nice and clean. Great service! Just take into consideration $15 daily for resort fee.
6 night business trip Feb 10, 2015
"Noisy!"
Located in downtown San Diego right next to the trolley line with a stop right outside the hotel and within walking distance of Horton Plaza and Seaport Village. The hotel is beautiful and the amenities are quite nice. Unfortunately, there is a large population of homeless people sleeping in very close proximity to the hotel. Both the trolley horns, police sirens and shouting made noise an issue for us.
Other trip Feb 18, 2015
"Elegant and Comfortable Hotel"
Hotel was very lovely and quiet, in walking distance to Gaslamp Quarter.
1 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015
Sara
"Very nice!"
This is what you would expect from a large, European-styled hotel. The customer service was exceptional. Everyone greeted us warmly and was quick to help. The only exception was the waiter in the restaurant, Oliver, who was a bit cool despite us being the only patrons in the room. The pricetag was a big high, but not unreasonable considering that it was Valentine's Day (and President's Day) weekend and on par with similar hotels in the area.
Other trip Feb 17, 2015
"Great downtown area"
The hotel was beautiful but old. I wouldn't say run down but there could be some improvements in the rooms. The bathroom door was dirty like blood or something had splattered on it, weird. It reminded me of the hotels in New York City. I would stay there again. I just may let them know that their rooms could use a little more attention.
"Watch out for added fees!"
This was a deal on Expedia. Price was right. But when I arrived - bam - $37/night for parking. Then at check-in a "use" fee of $15/day. So what's a "use" fee? You get to use the fitness center. And the wifi. OK. But the wifi was so slow I had to use my phone as a hotspot. The hotel is nice enough (the baroquish lobby is a bit odd) and the location is great. But make sure your room isn't on the side of the hotel above the street car. The trolley horn is quite annoying every time it leaves the stop. So I guess hotels are trying to imitate the airlines with fees for "extras." To me it feels dishonest. There's no way to decine them once you're there.
Other trip Feb 12, 2015
AJDoug
"Very nice hotel"
This is a very nice place. I travel extensively for business and would rank this place in the top 5 among 4-star hotels that I have stayed at.
Other trip Feb 12, 2015
"Very comfortable and nice hotel"
Really comfortable hotel. Perfectly situated if you want to stay down town. Quiet and very nice hotel staff.
Other trip Feb 10, 2015
Johann
"Unknown Fees"
I believe this is expedias fault for not telling me that there was a $36 fee for parking.
Other trip Feb 9, 2015
samuel
"Great place"
Great place! Right near lots of restaurants and shopping.... Pool was beautiful
Other trip Feb 9, 2015
Eva
"Timeless elegance"
Made us feel so special! This is a grand hotel that is old world classy. It has a timeless elegance. I loved the rooftop pool and track. Breakfast was excellent and creative--the smoked salmon hash was delicious.
1 night romance trip Feb 3, 2015
James V
"Full mile from convention center"
It's a long walk back and forth to the convention center but worth the extr steps
Other trip Feb 6, 2015
"Our 'go to' hotel in San Diego"
Beautiful,elegant hotel ... oversized large square room ... staff and concierge couldn't do enough for us ... walked to the Gaslamp Quarter ... it will definitely be out 'go to' hotel when visiting San Diego.
4 night romance trip Jan 20, 2015
Carol A.
"My Favorite Gaslamp Quarter Hotel"
I have stayed at several hotels in the area and the Westgate is the one I now go to exclusively. It is like visiting your rich aunt in NYC. Large rooms, sliders that actually open, great views. Hotel staff is always inviting. If you are looking for a classic hotel feel try the Westgate.
Other trip Jan 29, 2015
linda
"Classy elegance"
We were given a room on the 14th floor that was very nice and comfortable, although it was not ready for us until after 4:00pm. Hotel is very elegant. Lots of cream and gold. Staff is very accommodating. Everything was immaculate! Room service outrageous ($50 for ham and eggs and croissant in the morning). Short walk to the Civic Theater if you're going to the Opera (which we were). This is a treat for us.
Other trip Jan 29, 2015
Lauren
"One of the nicest I have stayed in!"
Hotel is beautiful, staff very nice as is the room.
1 night business trip Jan 24, 2015
Toby
"Elegance with pan handling on the side"
This is a wonderful hotel, and I can only imagine how nice the roof top pool would be in the summer (a nearby building cast a large shadow over the pool area in the afternoon). Expect to be asked for money from the multiple panhandlers in the area, who can be very aggressive.
3 night business trip Jan 22, 2015
Good location, quiet and spacious rooms. Parking very expensive. Park car at lot a few blocks away.
Other trip Jan 25, 2015
"Elegant and well located"
We were met in the lobby by a harp player and a beautifully decorated lobby with christmas tree and an afternoon tea underway. The hotel was clean, beautiful and a much larger than expected fitness room. Great value.
Other trip Jan 2, 2015
"Lovely and charming"
What a charming hotel! Old, yet elegant and very well maintained. Breakfast was delicious and reasonable.
1 night family trip Dec 27, 2014
Rosemary
Very Elegant, very nice view of downtown, beds are comfortable and they even give us a complemantary sparkling lemon drink and chocolate. Bottle water in the room is complimentary.
Other trip Dec 30, 2014
"Nothing happening"
Rooms were beautiful. Bar was claustrophobic and terrible and barely open for business. Hotel staff was amazing but there is absolutely nothing to do is eat in the whole place. Completely boring. Have to leave hotel to do ANYTHING!!!
"Conveniently located!"
Lovely hotel conveniently located to all San Diego attractions.
Bill & Natalie
"fabulous downtown location"
Large, comfortable, nicely decorated rooms in excellent condition. Entire hotel is very well kept.
R
Very Classic older style .. with a lot of history...
Other trip Dec 19, 2014
I loved being on the 16th floor with a view of the city. I really enjoy seeing cities from above. Was a great stay-cation!!!
Other trip Dec 15, 2014