All hotels in San Diego, California, United States of America
1055 Second Ave, San Diego, CA, 92101, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"fabulous downtown location"
Large, comfortable, nicely decorated rooms in excellent condition. Entire hotel is very well kept.
Other trip Dec 29, 2014
R
Very Classic older style .. with a lot of history...
Other trip Dec 19, 2014
I loved being on the 16th floor with a view of the city. I really enjoy seeing cities from above. Was a great stay-cation!!!
Other trip Dec 15, 2014
"Good Location"
Easy access to shopping, trolleys, and restaurants. The hotel staff was great.
Other trip Dec 13, 2014
Wade
"Beautiful Hotel"
Great location - convenient to everything we needed this trip! Would certainly stay here again
2 night trip with friends Dec 6, 2014
Glenn
"Beautiful hotel with excellent service in the gasl"
We have stayed here previously and again, thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Customer service goes above and beyond. Love the atmosphere and the location. We can walk to the water and to restaurants.
Other trip Dec 4, 2014
Great visit. Wish it were for more than one night.
Other trip Nov 30, 2014
AJ
"Went for football but will return for vacation."
Hotel is located downtown so the only negative I could give was the sirens in the middle of the night. The staff is top notch except for a rather surly front desk clerk on check in. I wouldn't recommend for families but otherwise it is locate near the center of everything San Diego.
Other trip Nov 27, 2014
Ken
The staff was attentive and pleasant. The rooms could use some updating and sound proof windows.
Other trip Nov 26, 2014
Gette
"Downtown and Gaslamp Access without craziness"
Superb staff and service in an elegant and quiet setting.
Other trip Nov 26, 2014
travels much
"A little bit of heaven!"
Greeted by smiling personnel at every turn and the room, southern view out to the water, was lovely. Comfortable. Beautifully appointed. Terrific staff. Great place that has, unlike so many like it, remained great!
2 night romance trip Nov 21, 2014
"Charger Fan!!"
The hotel is very clean and centrally located to great restaurants and shops. It's within walking distance of a mall and other downtown functions. The only semi-complaint I had about the hotel is it had a very small TV in the room by today's standards but other than that, it's a very wonderful hotel (staff and all)!!
1 night romance trip Nov 22, 2014
Great location ! We had a wonderful time . The hotel exceeded our expectations . Thank-you !!!
"Beautiful hotel."
Took the Coaster from Oceanside. Walking distance to everything in the Gas Lamp District. Staff was exceptional. Would love to stay again.
Caroline
"Average experience"
If you book through Expedia with a special rate and want a quiet room, be prepared to tip the late guy at the front desk, or you may get a slow response that they are 'fully committed,' with a built-in delay to allow you time to sweeten the pot for your request. Checking Expedia, they still had plenty of rooms available that night. Anyways, unfortunately, I had no cash on me, so I got a less than quiet room and the traffic noise kept me up most of the night. I'm a lighter sleeper than most. Other than that, the rooms were clean, for the most part. Room service was excellent. The guest services were great.
Light Sleeper
"Awkward"
Just a bizarre hotel all around, from the decor to the empty lobby and strange bar service. This hotel is trying to hide the fact they are pinching pennies. All room products and accessories are below par. Hotel staff are nice, but hard to find. Rarely a doorman or valet present. Why decorate a San Diego hotel to look like Versailles? Whoever made this decision has no taste or business sense.
Other trip Nov 24, 2014
"Never disappointed--Classy and professional"
We have stayed here 1/2 dozen times and Never disappointed. We love the ambiance and classy style of the hotel and the superb customer service.
1 night romance trip Nov 21, 2014
Suzette
"comfortable but dated"
Central downtown location, close to lots of restaurants and activity. Hotel is a bit dated, but room was comfortable. Beware the high price of valet parking, and the seemingly ubiquitous "resort fee".
1 night romance trip Nov 20, 2014
william
"Beautiful hotel with awesome views."
We were impressed with the service provided on all levels. Everyone was courteous and professional. quite accommodating as well. We were in town to see "Wicked". The hotel was in walking distance to the Civic Theater.
Other trip Nov 22, 2014
Monica
"Beautiful hotel..."
There are probably only 4 employee at the hotel. That's feel funny. We can't say it's missing employee but it feels empty.
Other trip Nov 21, 2014
K.
"Great location, close to the Gaslamp District"
The hotel is from the 70's, that speaks for itself. The hotel is in need of some updates to the interior, the room itself was overall comfortable and the shower was great! The staff is fantastic! If you don't have high expectations of modern styling, this hotel would serve its purpose.
Keri
"Elegant & discreet oasis"
Great location near gaslamp quarter, petco field, convention center & seaport village. Classy for any honeymoon or anniversary. Wonderful staff.
Anthony
A unique hotel, old world elegance. Public areas are beautifully furnished. Room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. No compliants
"Fancy hotel in doqntown"
Arrived late Friday nite. Room next to ours had a very loud party going on so they moved us up several floors. Lovely, comfortable room!
carol
"Very nice hotel. Impressed for the price."
We were greeted by friendly staff. Impressed by the size of the room/bathroom. Nice touch to have the turndown service as well as the bathrobes. Hot tub was great.
Rhea
"I love The Westgate"
I've stayed here before but this time it was on a lower floor. View wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. Loved the little "mudroom" opened through double doors that led to main room. Enjoyed the glass shower tub combo and room service was wonderful, 24 hrs a day apparently. Staff were nice and towels, robes were fluffy. Will stay again.
2 night trip Oct 16, 2014
Elaine
"A dreaming honeymoon"
Hi guys! My husband and I just got married, and we decided to go to this hotel because of the beautiful decorations in the whole hotel and the great prices (It is accessible for all the budgets, and even the smallest corner is just wonderful and clean)Hope you can visit it soon, and have a wonderful staying. Sincerely, Ana and Ted
1 night romance trip Nov 7, 2014
"Wonderful Stay!"
This was a perfect spot to spend a birthday weekend! The hotel was exquisite, the flower arrangements throughout the hotel were beautiful . I love old and elegant European style hotels and this was perfect for my stay. And even better, we could walk to the ever "bustling and enjoyable fun of the Gaslamp District with its saucy and raucously fun night spots.
Other trip Nov 3, 2014
Dee
"Nice Hotel But Too Many Hidden Expenses"
$36 a day to park car is ridiculous and then $17 resort fee per day? When you add it all up it was not worth it.
Other trip Nov 3, 2014
"Outstanding stay at the Westgate hotel"
The Westgate is located off of Broadway and is walking distance to the piers and USS Midway and Maritime Museum. Our room was very well kept. It was very clean. They even turned down the sheets before we returned for the evening. I liked how there was a separate door to the hallway for our room and one other room which required a room key to open. Nice security feature. The bathroom was huge with a large vanity with drawers, as well as a big closet for clothes. There was a separate bath/shower with toilet on one side. Water was good temperature. And on the opposite side of the vanity had a walk in shower with seat. Very nice, but the water pressure there was low. Only complaint was there was only one sink. Also, no plug in the bathroom that we could find. Had to dry my hair by the bed. But that was very minor. Everyone was very friendly as well as professional and went out of their way to help, such as getting taxis or info about the neighborhood. We would definitely stay at the Westgate again.
3 night romance trip Oct 27, 2014
Kathryn
As I mentioned in my prior note everything was excellent except for the resort fee. I look for those things prior to booking my room but I somehow missed this one. I would not have stayed there if I had noticed it. In Las Vegas I stay at the Platinum Suites solely because it does not have the resort fee. Even when it costs more.
Other trip Oct 31, 2014
"worth every penny including the facility charge"
I went in knowing about the facilility charge of 15 per day, do it was no big deal. You get free wifi, pool and fitness acess and daily newspaper. The hotel is the nicest hotel I have stayed for the rae I paid. Room furnishings equivilant to Four seasons. I travel for business across the US on a weekly basis. I wish all of my hotels stays are in this hotel.
2 night business trip Oct 26, 2014
Greg
"Wonderful except one encounter when I checked in"
I stayed for 5 nights at the hotel for a work conference and it was absolutely wonderful! The rooms were gorgeous, very clean, with turndown service at night. The pool was very clean and refreshing and the hot tub was perfect. My only gripe is that I originally made a reservation for 2 double beds. I changed my mind and went to the hotels.com site and modified it to 1 king bed. When I arrived, the lady at the desk (with braces) states that I have 2 reservations and unless it shows in their computer that one was cancelled, I would have to pay for both. She was extremely curt and stated that when hotels.com has a modified reservation, it sends a whole new reservation. It's not fault that your antiquated system didn't recognize that I had two reservation and saw that one was cancelled. She pulled up on her computer system that one was cancelled and I only paid for one but her attitude was the last thing I wanted after a flight from NYC. Otherwise, the hotel was amazing and I would stay again!
5 night business trip Oct 20, 2014
Suzanne
"5 minute walk to Gaslamp District"
The gentleman upon check in at 530am was extremely welcoming and very nice he had an excellent balcony room for us with a city view facing the bridge and ocean in the distance. NBC studios was also across our view which was cool. We are just steps away from the outside shopping mall, Gaslamp District and 7 eleven is across the street if you need anything that you may have forgotten. The staff was above and beyond courteous. Although the people staying at the hotel acted a bit snobbish towards my boyfriend. Maybe it's because we aren't the typical type of people they are use to seeing in this upper class hotel. I could be wrong though. This hotel exceeded our expectations. The balcony room was more than spacious and the style was old fashioned. I would stay here again. I would also recommend anyone staying get a balcony room it's pretty nice to have an actual balcony you can open the doors too and step out in to fresh air. Not many hotels have that luxury anymore. Again, the staff was what made our stay wonderful. They made us feel so comfortable. They define customer service.
Other trip Oct 26, 2014
Tisha
"Great Stay!"
Great location. Great interaction with all staff.
1 night business trip Oct 20, 2014
"Clean hotel with polite staff"
I ate breakfast in the restaurant Saturday morning. The food was good, but the coffee was cold.
2 night trip Oct 17, 2014
"Beautiful hotel close to Gas Lamp/Seaport Village"
We came into town for the weekend. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Room was spacious and very comfortable. Walking distance from everything.
Other trip Oct 20, 2014
"Would go back in a heartbeat!!"
I stayed solo for a wedding reception. It was absolutely awesome! I have a silver palate and like the nice stuff. Not that inalways have the pocketbook for it.... This place fit the bill - totally!
2 night trip Oct 10, 2014
"Fantastic Hotel!"
This is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. The staff is very cordial, professional, and efficient. The hotel itself is very elegant. The pool and spa are magnificent. The bar is very cozy with great service from the bartender. The view from our room had partial views of the ocean and harbor, had a large walk-in shower, and a very private entrance which eliminated any noise from guests walking down the hall. We'll definitely come back to this hotel if we ever stay in San Diego again.
Other trip Oct 16, 2014
"Beautiful inside and friendly staff"
My husband and stayed just one night in this hotel. We live in North County and didn't want to drive home after an event at the Zoo. So we checked into this hotel and were thrilled with its amenities. Rooftop pool. Effortless wifi. Teensy balcony in the room. Notably friendly staff. We look forward to staying there again.
Other trip Oct 16, 2014
Marisa
"dirty"
Our room had a grew view, but also had a previous guest's dirty sock and water bottle caps on the floor. Carpet was heavily stained. We requested Maid Service, but they did not come. Unacceptable!
2 night trip Oct 4, 2014
"grand hotel, but no grand review..."
the day before my stay I called the hotel to confirm my room and request an early check in. the woman who answered was great. she looked into it, and said it wouldn't be a problem and left a note on my account. once, I entered the hotel that was a completely different thing. the gentleman behind the counter was so rude and extremely unhelpful. leaving me to sit for 15-20 mins while he checked to see if my room was available. just looking at me not doing any with this mean glare. the funny thing is days later I was sitting at another hotel bar and the gentleman next to me also stayed there a couple night prior and had the same horrible experience I had w this individual. if it wasn't for the concierge who then approached me approached me 20 mins later, I would have def asked to speak to a manager. this was def not a welcoming experience to san diego at all.
Other trip Oct 9, 2014
"Old world comfort"
I always enjoy the Westgate . I do think the combination of parking and hotel fees are a bit high.
2 night business trip Sep 25, 2014
"Ok Hotel - but not Great"
The Hotel is old, but nice, it is maybe a 3 star hotel at best. The room is just OK, The bathtub is ridiculously small,(dog bath small). The neighborhood is HORRIBLE, you cant walk outside the hotel in any direction without running in to 5 or 6 homeless people. But what is worse is that they find the nerve to charge you $36 a day for parking and $16 a day for the "Resort Fee" LOL Resort this place is not !!! So after your hotel doom charge you tack on $52.00 a night is fees. Will not return. In Summary, Old, Overpriced, and the location is sketchy.
2 night business trip Sep 22, 2014
"Wonderful hotel"
We were extremely satisfied with our entire hotel stay at the West Gate Hotel. The room was beautiful, clean and well stocked, with everything we needed for our stay, including a cork screw!! ALL the staff at the West Gate Hotel were friendly and extremely helpful. There was even a door man to open doors when we came and went. We will definatley stay at the West Gate Hotel again.
Other trip Sep 23, 2014
"A must know Hotel"
Since you arrive, you can feel the kidness of people, the magnificent of the facilities
Other trip Sep 22, 2014
Luis
"Great location, Big rooms"
I've stayed at this hotel twice. It's in a great location, just a two minute walk and your in the Gaslamp district. The rooms are very large and they have a lovely bathroom with separate dressing room/closet area. It's not for you if you modern/trendy, its more tradition. Very large windows with good city views. I've never used the pool so can't comment on that.
Other trip Sep 20, 2014
Outstanding service, spacious room, relaxing pool and spa, and convenient location. Highly recommend staying at the Westgate in San Diego.
Other trip Sep 14, 2014
"Nice surprise"
Lovely hotel in downtown SanDiego. Great staff and service. The facilities are excellent. Room size is excellent although thin salsa and could hear other room noise. Nice locations and very quaint bar. Would stay again.
Other trip Sep 6, 2014
lvr
"Impeccable service in Old World atmosphere."
Conveniently located privately-owned hotel in the heart of downtown San Diego. The staff is energetic in serving guests with attentive, highly personable service. Magnificent lobby decorated in gilded Roccoco style furnishings impart a continental grandeur not usually encountered in most business-oriented hotels. Top notch dining facilities include a spectacular Sunday brunch buffet with a stunning selection of beautifully presented food. Considering the magnificence of the decor and the high quality level of the service, the rates are more than reasonable; especially when in comparison to nearby hotels such as the Solamar and the Andaz. All-in-all a wonderful hotel, one in which I would recommend to anyone traveling to San Diego who plan to stay in the midtown corridor North of the Gaslamp District.
1 night family trip Aug 31, 2014