All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
225 Powell St, San Francisco, CA, 94102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Noise was a problem"
Noise was a major problem at this hotel since it is on the main street in Union Square. There was a protest outside and it kept me up. Otherwise, everything was fine.
2 night trip Mar 10, 2015
"Quaint hotel, friendly and helpful staff."
The hotel was quaint and the room was comfortable. The staff was friend and helpful. The location of the hotel is close to all the sight seeing locations in San Francisco. I have stayed here 3 times now and I have never been disappointed
1 night romance trip Mar 28, 2015
Brenda
"Race weekend getaway"
It was perfect for our overnight stay. Central to all we needed to do, and a lovely room. Only missing coffee in the room!
1 night romance trip Mar 28, 2015
Corinne
We arrived at the hotel and right when we pulled up we were greeted by friendly staff. Eager to help and please. The entire staff from valet to front desk were helpful, friendly and pleasant.
"Great, older hotel close to everything"
The hotel is centrally located within walking distance to great shops, restaurants, and bars. It is in a vibrant, safe area of San Francisco.
Sal
"Details need work."
We reserved a double, double room for my wife and me and our two teenage sons. The room had apparently been recently renovated and needed to have some of the resulting bugs worked out. None of the individual items were catastrophic, but overall conveyed a lack of attention. Our room was small but we didn't intend to spend much time in it so that was not a huge problem. What were problems were a closet door that wouldn't open fully because it was blocked by the "air conditioner," reading lights that fell from the headboard when we tried to turn them on, a bathroom sink that wouldn't drain because the stopper linkage was not functioning, and not receiving a number of towels that matched the number of guests in the room on the third day of our four day stay. The biggest problem was the inability to cool the room. It was hot enough that we left the bathroom window open all night and I slept on top of the bedding.
Other trip Mar 29, 2015
"Good hotel, but a lot of little flaws"
Some staff are great, other not really. Rooms are good, but I for instance had an enormously loud fan in the bathroom - which blew cigarette smoke into the bathroom... The restaurant is really good, but overpriced and the settings of both restaurants aren't as private as what you'd sometimes like in an hotel - some great bartenders at the bar though.. Nutshell, probably good for a short stay for a romantic getaway (save the cigarette smell), not really an option for business travelers.
Other trip Mar 29, 2015
"Great location at union square for family vacation"
Hotel location was just right where everything is very close by. Valet parking is bit pricey compare to other hotels. Room was clean but my kids found some left over garbage under the bed. Room did not have enough storage space to put bags and clothing. Room was bit noisy with street noise due to poor sound insulation.
Other trip Mar 25, 2015
"Add double pane windows for noise"
The service in the hotel was very satisfactory. Hotel is old and it shows but the common areas had been updated. My room overlooking the cable car on Powell Street was very noisy. i would suggest investing in some double pane windows or something to mitigate the noise.
4 night business trip Mar 19, 2015
"The little details haven't been taken care of."
The hotel has been recently redone, so the room was beautiful. However, we couldn't open the door to the TV cabinet because it was too close to the bed. Also, the coffee pot was on a shelf in this cabinet. When we tried to take it out, we found that it was plugged in to the wall behind the cabinet. It was unusable. There were a lot of little things that hadn't been taken care of in the remodel.
5 night romance trip Mar 14, 2015
Patricia L
"Comfortable base for a weekend of social activity"
Service and comfort were excellent - probably best night sleep I had in a fortnight of travel. Only minor noise hassle was some construction work on the floor below, but not a problem during sleeping hours.
1 night trip Mar 14, 2015
"Good Value in Union Square"
Good value for anyone needing to stay near Union Square. Comfortable hotel, with all of the needed amenities coupled with very reasonable pricing. I definitely would stay here again!!
2 night business trip Mar 9, 2015
"Liked our one night stay!!!"
The stuff was so friendly and helpful! Thanks to Daniel and a lady (sorry forgot to get her name) at the front desk for your impeccable service!!! Keep up the good work!!! Overall we liked our stay!!! The only issue we had was the shower rod in the bathroom was too high the curtain barely hits the bathtub to avoid water from spraying outside the bathroom floor and the curtain rings were too tight on the rod it won't glide smoothly. It needs to be replaced with a better curtain rings... Small/minor details that we noticed something you can fix... We don't mind coming back to this hotel...
1 night romance trip Mar 7, 2015
Carmita
"Good location, but...."
Convenient to Union Square and parking. Rooms are small, offered an upgrade on check in for $25 however customer service should provide upgrade for free if room is available. We were placed on 7th floor (top) thinking it would be quiet. Even though we were on 7th floor yelling, screaming from the street people in the area could be heard throughout the night. Would have had a better night's sleep at a high rrise hotel.
1 night romance trip Mar 8, 2015
"Excellent Customer Service"
The staff at the hotel were extremely friendly especially with my children. I really loved the way our whole family was treated. The room was in excellent condition and I would definitely consider staying here again. It was also convenient that it has a restaurant in the first floor of the hotel.
1 night family trip Mar 7, 2015
Monica
"Ok"
I enjoyed the hotel but it was not for me. They also charged me an extra $300 to my card for unknown reasons. Nice place, but I will not be staying there again.
3 night trip with friends Feb 26, 2015
Aaliyah
"Villa Florence"
I have stayed at Villa Florence several times before. It's a great location and a very nice but older hotel. This particular stay I had someone knock at my door after 11pm serveral times and before I could get up to answer, they opened the door with a room key. When they saw me, they took off. It was dark but my impression was that it was a housekeeper. I should have called security immediately but didn't. When I mentioned it at check out the next morning I was told they would "look into it" and they took $34 off my bill for the inconvienance. I would have rather they show more concercen over my safety and tell me they would check the security feed. I will probably won't stay there again.
1 night trip with friends Feb 27, 2015
Maggie
"Perfect location in a great boutique hotel!"
Great location for a long weekend to visit a family member who lives downtown, just blocks off Union Square. Front desk staff was helpful with my questions and gave helpful advice. We will be returning!
3 night family trip Feb 19, 2015
"You need to stay here"
My stay here was perfect. It was to get away for a night in the city for valentine's day. When we arrived to check in we had received a complementary upgrade to a junior suite from a king sized standard. There was also in house made limoncello and biscotti we got when we checked in to further the Italian ambiance. For being in the heart of the city it was rather quiet and a night of pure bliss. This was one of the nicer hotels I've stayed in my entire life.
1 night romance trip Feb 15, 2015
Alex
"Great deal"
I would have given it 5 stars except that the room was really tight for just two adults. For the price and location though, it was a deal.
1 night romance trip Feb 15, 2015
Sueno
"3.5"
Heater does not get warm enough Drain stopper in the sink broken overall way better than motels of same price I paid
2 night family trip Jan 30, 2015
"Union Square Gem"
We had a great stay at this hotel in a double double corner room. The Powell Street view was lovely and it was delightful to hear the cable cars going by. Bring earplugs and turn on the fan when you want to sleep as the street sounds are a bit noisy. The room was large, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was small for three people, but not bad. Gratis limoncello on check in was a delicious treat!
3 night trip with friends Feb 14, 2015
Alice
"Very good, quality stay near Union Square"
On a special trip to San Fran, this newly renovated hotel was very comfortable. The staff was helpful and, considering all the construction, clean. The only issues we experienced were that the plug in the bathtub wouldn't seal and the fan for the room heater turned on & off every twenty seconds.
1 night romance trip Feb 16, 2015
"Nice but needs work"
Lovely lobby, restaurant, cafe bar in lobby. Excellent and friendly service. Upstairs, the hallways are a dimly lit warren; many rooms face onto a busy street that is lively all night long, with cable car rails thrumming constantly. For some reason, the insulated drapes don't stretch over the windows, which might have offered some relief from the cacophony. When we asked for a quieter room in the morning, we were graciously switched to an inner room- much small, no view whatsoever, but much quieter. The third floor is in the midst of renovation (we were on the 4th).
2 night business trip Feb 12, 2015
Paula
"Great location!"
Cute Botique hotel. I'll definitely visit again.
1 night family trip Feb 15, 2015
"A Great Hotel but a little pricey"
We were very pleased with the location of the hotel. It is located right in the heart of Union Square. The hotel is undergoing a "refresh" of the rooms and the hotel is located close to fine eateries. The only downside of our stay is that parking is $58/day and valet parking only. Seems a little expensive even for San Francisco. The hotel staff were all professional, helpful and courteous and overall we enjoyed our stay. Special kudos to Jason!!
4 night romance trip Feb 1, 2015
David L
"Some things to be worked out"
We were on the 7th floor and the air conditioner only went to 60 which did bet little in the room. The entire floor was being remoldled and there was constructiin material all over the halls and many hall lights were out. I like the location of the hotel but the valet parking was horrendous because there was so much traffic and no place to park your car to check in other than in the middle of the street and block traffic. I would come back but with misgivings.
1 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015
James N
"Good, but could easily be so much better"
An overnight for a conference in San Francisco. Lovely remodeled rooms, but with two big oversights: the "feather" pillows felt like they were filled with buckwheat, and there is no shelf or counter in the bathroom. As others have mentioned, there isn't even space to put your toothbrush or toothpaste down on the artsy pedestal sink. There is plenty of space in the pretty bathroom for them to put up a shelf or counter, but they overlooked this with the remodel. I left the suggestion for them. If enough people let them know, it might make something happen. In the future I will bring my own pillow, but I love the low price and convenient location. The neighborhood is prime Union Square. It is wonderful by day and dicey by night. The street people come out when the lights go on, so plan accordingly.
1 night business trip Feb 12, 2015
"Great Staff!"
Thumbs up to the hotel staff! They were extremely accommodating. Rooms are small, but comfortable and nicely decorated. Nice part of the city and convenient location, but the bright lights outside and the noise were annoying when trying to sleep.
2 night family trip Feb 12, 2015
"my stay at villa Florence"
It was my first time at the villa florence, I was skeptical at first, but I was pleasantly surprised of how upscale the hotel is. I was greeted with charm and comfort. The junior suite I booked was very spacious and came with great amenities.
1 night trip Feb 4, 2015
Taylor
"January trip"
Our stay was fast and furious! The staff was awesome, friendly, helpful... our room was nice, apparently one of the updated ones but it had no room for a woman's cosmetics bag or toothbrush to be left in the bathroom so I had to keep going back and forth to my suitcase.. it made getting ready quite slow in the morning. If I may suggest... a shelf or something to store your bathroom things.. overall the location made up for all!!
1 night trip with friends Jan 29, 2015
Debra
"nice hotel could use a cleaning"
Great location and very friendly staff. Hard to find outlets near the beds so we had to pull the bed out and found lots of dust. 2 floors have been remodeled so I'm sure they will all be up to date soon.
1 night trip with friends Jan 31, 2015
Jaclynn
"SF getaway"
Definitely overpriced. The parking for 2 days cost me more than 100$! Plus they are a lot of hidden charges Rooms are very small and carpet looked very old.
2 night trip Jan 30, 2015
"Great location, nice hotel with good service"
We chose this hotel because of the location and it was very nice for the price of $93/night + resort fees, taxes, etc so total was $149 out the door. We will definately stay there again!! Already planning our next trip there in March.
1 night romance trip Jan 31, 2015
Maricela
"Business trip to San francisco"
Staff is incredible!
1 night business trip Jan 29, 2015
"A Lucky Find."
I booked this hotel once I landed in San Fransisco. It was a last minute trip with a last minute reservations. I was pleasantly surprised. The lobby is beautiful and the front desk staff greeted us with a warm welcome and offered us options for our room. We chose the newly renovated room on the top floor. Room was clean and adequate in space for two people. The only draw back was the size of the bathroom. Although it was clean, very limited space to put belongings while getting ready. The location was perfect in the heart of Union Square. Only a short distance from the Bart, the cable car and all the major shopping spots. The restaurant next door was delicious and the bar in the lobby welcoming. I would definitely stay here again.
2 night trip with friends Jan 25, 2015
Lorri
"Overrated and Overpriced"
In spite of having pre-paid the entire stay through Hotels.com, the hotel tried to add on a daily "administrative fee." Tell them it is bogus and they will laugh and take off the charge. It is rather tacky for a hotel with 4 star pretentions. The rooms are tiny and the bathrooms tinier, with no sink counter to put anything on. There was a single window with the bottom taken up by the air conditioner/heater. The restaurant has good food, but is a bit pricy. I thought the hotel room was overpriced as well; there are several comparable hotels within several blocks for quite a bit less that show up on the website. The main attraction for this hotel must be the location, half a block from Union Square and right on the cable car line. I will stay elsewhere next time.
3 night business trip Jan 19, 2015
"Excellent Value and Service; nice location."
Excellent value in a Hotel. Classy lobby, excellent service. The bldg. is old however very solid; cant hear other guests through the walls. The rooms are being updated now. Union Square area gets worse with the mentally ill and homeless every time I visit; wish San Francisco would finally take a stand since it's hurting their tourism at Union Square, however the hotel was excellent overall. Would definitely recommend.
2 night romance trip Jan 17, 2015
We love this hotel. Very clean and centrally located in the heart of the city
1 night family trip Jan 18, 2015
tytus john
"Good Location"
The hotel was as expected. The location is excellent - one block from Union Square and one block from Powell Street BART station. The lobby is comfortable, and the adjacent Kuleto's restaurant is excellent. The front desk personnel was top notch - very friendly and accomodating. The room is small but comfortable. The only complaint was with housekeeping. They did not service the room, and were surly when a call was made.
2 night romance trip Jan 17, 2015
Ronald
"Great Stay!!"
Good location. Muni Transportatiion across the street. Very good service. Restaurant is exceptional. Service way above average. Will stay there again on our next visit.
3 night romance trip Jan 14, 2015
"For us 5 star with Kuletos next door"
We have stayed before and will continue to return food, service, lovely room and wonder staff close to everything
1 night trip Jan 9, 2015
"Heart of the City"
Villa Florence is wonderful. Kuleto's Restaurant is great, location is close to transportation and the staff is helpful.
1 night trip Jan 10, 2015
Janet
"overcharged frozen stay."
I booked my stay through Hotels.com as I do monthly in San Francisco and when I arrived I stood at the desk with nobody in front of me for 20min while the front desk person helped someone on the phone. A friend was with me so I asked to get a King instead of a Queen and the gentleman said sure we are not near full but $25 additional dollars which I said was fine. The we get to the room and the heat would not start. I called the front desk and they said they would send up a engineer. I called back and cancelled the service call because the fan kicked on only to find out the heat never did start and so we froze all night because I did not want to have someone up working on the heat in the middle of the night. I find it hard to believe this was the first night it was issue. I will select a different hotel for next month and would not recommend to anyone else. Much nicer hotels and better service for the same rate in Union Square
1 night romance trip Jan 2, 2015
Marshall
"good time"
to much money for a little room, the windows was not clean, the heater was direct on the bed I was sick, and the room was not ready 3pm....
2 night romance trip Dec 26, 2014
"New Years Stay"
The Junior suite was adequate:however it would have been much more convenient if there was a door between suite and living area. Bathroom is small....Ok for one night! Will check out the newly remodeled rooms if we return.
1 night family trip Dec 31, 2014
Benjamin
"Wonderful hotel"
We have stayed here several times over many years. This is my favorite place to stay in SF.
2 night trip with friends Jan 2, 2015
"Centric hotel stay in SanFran."
Great location, hotel Is Nice but it lacks from some of the amenities of bigger chains. Kulettos restaurant it looks old and dirty, time to renovate.overall a good stay, the staff is pretty attentive. Oh, don't bring a car, the valet option is very expensive, if you do, find one of the many parking options in the neighborhood still costly but not as expensive as the hotel option.
3 night family trip Dec 30, 2014
"Hotel Review"
Bathroom sink would not drain. Complaint to front desk was not effective
2 night business trip Dec 26, 2014
H Lee
"Bring your hot water bottle, sleeping bag and parka"
The room was freezing cold and the only source of "heat" was a combo air-conditioner/heater on the wall. Even on the highest heat setting, which we turned on as soon as we arrived at 4 pm and left on continuously, the room was absolutely freezing. The air blowing out of the heater was cool. I slept extremely poorly. It was also cheaply decorated and not the luxurious room I had been expecting based upon the pictures and write up. Being in the midst of downtown San Francisco was fun, but also extremely noisy and dirty, with feces and vomit on the streets, etc. Their parking policy is also pretty insane--they only have a curb for two cars out front and if that is full, you have to circle in the heart of downtown, frantically hoping for one of the cars to leave. The cost of keeping your car is $58 a day...otherwise you can park at another lot for a little cheaper and roll your luggage over the dirty sidewalks to get there...:) I would not come back. Better to stay farther away and take the Bart into downtown.
2 night romance trip Dec 26, 2014