All hotels in San Diego, California, United States of America
1631 Hotel Cir S, San Diego, CA, 92108, United States of America, ‏‎855-239-9481

2.7
    2.9
    2.6
    2.3
"one night"
basic hotel , everything worked
1 night business trip May 21, 2015
"Good hotel."
We had a great time. Clean rooms and working sink and shower.
Other trip May 22, 2015
Felipe
"Don't Stay At This Hotel"
This was the worst experience I have ever had a hotel. To begin with, we asked for a quiet room. The room itself was quiet as it was at the back of the property but then they put a large group of party people in the adjoining room for the 1st 3 nights and then a family with a bunch of noisy kids (up at 5:30am) for the next 3 nights. Broken sleep if any was the norm. On top of that, we only had 1 washcloth in the room when we arrived. When I went to the office to get another one, the man held up a hand towel and asked if that is what I wanted. Took until the next day to get a washcloth. One of the outlets didn't work and had exposed wiring. The refrigerator looked like it hadn't been cleaned in at least a year. There was frost about 3 inches thick all the way around the freezer and all of our items in the refrigerator froze (milk, juice and water). Something sticky was on the nightstand and headboards of the bed. The TV remote did not work. The safe was locked and we weren't able to open and use it. The window curtain had been burned by an iron and so light came through it. The windows and mirrors looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a while. The only reason we stayed the whole week was because it was paid for in advance. The light by the bed only had one on/off setting and the switch had to be pushed in and turned to turn the light on/off. All in all, it was a horrible experience and I won't ever stay at this hotel again.
6 night family trip May 14, 2015
Teresa
"Dirty carpets = black feet"
We were there for a family weekend & while the beds were comfortable & the shower was nice. The carpet was sticky & with our 3 & 1 year olds running back & forth on the floor, their feet were completely black. I don't believe we will be back to stay. Sorry Hojo
2 night family trip May 15, 2015
"FILTHIES HOTEL EVERY!!!"
STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL AS POSSIBLE!!! EXTREMELY FILTHY!!!! SERVICE IS HORRIBLE!!!
1 night trip May 5, 2015
Shannon
"a fridge and microwave! Yay!"
The washing machine was broken so I had to go all morning without towels, but they brought them to my room as soon as they were ready. Friendly staff.
3 night business trip May 10, 2015
Kaitlin
There was a couch in my room that looked like it came out of the trash. It had mismatched cushions and stains all over. I wouldn't even sit on it during my stay. The hotel staff on the other hand was very nice and helpful.
Other trip May 14, 2015
"Worst Hotel I've Ever Stayed In"
I checked in to my and the toilet wasn't working. I tried to call the front desk but the phone wasn't working either. I went to the front desk and they moved us to another room. I was in town to attend my Mother's funeral and we had to leave right away after just making sure the toilet and phone were working in that room. When we came back later that night we found out the air conditioner wasn't working. I went to the front desk and asked to change rooms and they said we couldn't because the hotel was booked full. I was very unhappy but had no choice but to stay there that night. The next day they moved us to room 201 and everything worked fine the next two nights. They would not credit me for the room and said I had to speak to the hotel manager who wasn't on site and they would not give me his phone number. They said I had to email him. I left several messages and asked him to call me and he still hasn't after 2 days of checking out and they charged me for the room. It's the worst hotel stay I've ever had and even though it was cheaper than some others in the area it was not worth the trouble or expense. WARNING: DO NOT RUIN YOUR TRIP BY STAYING THERE!!!
3 night family trip May 8, 2015
It was good. Miguel at the front desk was very accommodating. The night guy was not as friendly, though. He should learn to smile more often. Housekeepers were very friendly, too!
3 night romance trip May 5, 2015
froilan
"HORRIBLE"
The worst customer service from everyone I spoke to including the customer care line through corporate. FILTHY rooms. Had to switch rooms at 3:30am when we checked in because there was mold, water damage in the bathroom, dirty sink, and no bed linen. I was basically called a liar when I said there was no bed linen. When I tried to call to let them know we would have a late check in, I called three days in a row and waited for an answer for 5 minutes before hanging up. Same when calling from the room, called multiple times over a half hour and no answer. When I went down to the lobby, the employee was just standing behind the counter on their phone. SO FRUSTRATING. BIGGEST waste of my money. Never staying at a Howard Johnson again.
Other trip May 12, 2015
Katie
"Great stay on a budget"
I was in room 321, in the back corner away from the road so it was quiet. Room was large with pullout couch and approx 100 sq foot dressing area off the bathroom. Bed was comfortable, and got a great rate for a king. Location was about 1.8 miles from heart of Old Town, we took cabs or drove though we never tried to walk it. Great water pressure and hot showers. The not so good: wi-fi in the rooms was so bad, it was unusable. I could not get online AT ALL. The wi-fi in the lobby works, or use your phone as a hot spot. Most annoying part was that the lights were all on motion sensors. Usually not a big deal and actually helpful, but the light in the bedroom came on all night long while I was trying to sleep. We ended up taping a piece of paper over it for the second and third nights, but the first night was not fun.
2 night romance trip May 7, 2015
Melanie
"Fair price"
Not bad. Room was good for price tag. The pool and hot tub were closed for construction which was the main reason I booked this hotel. They were the only one's with a hot tub in our price range and location. Service was great, price was fair. Would stay again.
1 night romance trip Apr 1, 2015
Arthur William
"why the heck did I stay here"
The pool was small and the ac was broken. I asked them to fix it or move us and he said they will have someone look at it. They didn't. It's located on a road of hotels hence the name. The price wasn't bad but you get what you pay for.
3 night family trip Apr 10, 2015
"not real happy"
TV is older then me and I am 63 when you turn the water on for bath tub shower leaks just not what I expected
2 night trip Apr 26, 2015
"Cheap hotel"
Promised a continental breakfast. When I got there at 8 there was nothing left. No fruit was there or yogurt. No juice. Not a very good breakfast or stocked enough. Room needed updating. Old stained carpet. Bedspread nasty. Shower smelled.
Other trip Apr 30, 2015
angie
"Run down"
Scary area run down Took 1 1/2 to check in They only talk spanish
Other trip Apr 28, 2015
"Comfortable & accomidating"
Pillows and bed were comfortable. They were accommodating. Asked for more pillows and got them.
3 night romance trip Apr 13, 2015
Rhonda
"No TV or Internet Service"
We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and didn't offer the services they stated that they did! No TV service and the Internet didn't work in our room. We notified the clerk, who said he would fix it the first night. It never got fixed and we requested service every night.
4 night romance trip Mar 2, 2015
"Not recommended"
Feces filled jacuzzi. Hotel staff not very friendly or helpful. Dirty blankets.
1 night business trip Apr 12, 2015
"You get what you pay for."
I stayed here because it was in my budget. It looks a little rough on the inside and outside. The TV made a lot of noise when you turned it on at first. Light peeked in though the door, but I was able to put a chair in front of the door. I felt safe, because there families around.
Other trip Apr 14, 2015
Tanya
The pictures that were giving on website for Expedia not so good
Other trip Apr 13, 2015
"Short stay"
The hotel wasn't bad, I just wish it was cleaner. The bathroom wasn't in great condition and the floor by the ac/heat was wet. You get what you pay for!
Other trip Apr 13, 2015
Catherine
"San Diego go"
The only problem was with the bathroom. Day one shower fine. Day two only cold water. Day three warm, but spray like the water was off then spirt, off, spirt, off, etc. Still doing this after 5 minutes.
3 night business trip Apr 1, 2015
Christine
"Centrally located but not the most comfortable"
He location of this hotel cannot be beat...all of our travel destinations throughout San Diego weren't more than a 10-15minute drive away. The room itself was quaint and well maintained but the bed was uncomfortable, the sink water sometimes smelled like sulfur and the shower would randomly get really hot then really cold.
Other trip Apr 8, 2015
Denise
"Spend the $10 night to stay somewhere else"
I chose this hotel because it was the cheapest option, big mistake. When I checked in the manager was incredibly rude, I asked if it was possible to check out a day early as long as I was out by the check out time, he told me no and that I would have to pay a $30 cancelation fee, he then assigned me to room 409 which had mismatched furniture that looked like they needed to fill the space so they threw whatever extra furniture they had into the room. Then my toilet clogged and I called to inform the front desk and they said they would have someone come fix it. I then left and came back a full 12 hours later at about midnight to a still clogged toilet. I called the front desk and they moved me to a different room because no one was there at that time to fix it.
Other trip Apr 3, 2015
Megan
"Nice for the price"
This hotel was older, so it had the links of an older hotel. For the price it was a nice hotel.
3 night family trip Mar 29, 2015
"Not what I payed for !!!!!!"
Stayed here to visit sea world because it's very close. I payed for a 2 bed room but only got one queen bed for 4 people 2 people had to sleep on the floor until the next day in the evening I finaly got the room I payed for because it became available and I had to pay $25 extra on top of what I had already paid for because it didn't show I had 2 beds there where no managers but the staff was friendly but not helpfull I was told if I wanted the room I had to pay for the upgrade as soon as I payed I was told the room wouldn't be available till the next morning went back the next morning was told room wouldn't be ready till the afternoon went to seaworld then was told I was being made an exception because I had to check in at least by 4 by this I was a very tired women because I thought it was horrible they think I was going to cut my day short or anything to come get a room I already payed for but they didn't have .. I would stay again if all this didn't happen or if I traveled alone .. Breakfast is gone by 8amso be there at 5 !!!!! And all there safes are broken in every room and they are aware of the problem .
2 night family trip Mar 29, 2015
"Construction, but still a great stay"
Only issue was that the hotel did not inform us of construction in the room next door. Luckily we're early risers, because the noise started first thing in the morning. Other than that, it was a great stay!
2 night trip with friends Mar 27, 2015
Cara
"San Diego Howard Johnson"
No WiFi in room and one has to come to lobby to check if we can get any signal . The management should make sure that what they promise should also deliver.
11 night business trip Feb 22, 2015
"A nightmare of horrors but the staff was very nice"
First of all, let me say that the staff was very friendly. Whenever we had a problem to report, they were very polite and apologized for the condition and said they would refer the problem to maintenance. It looked like these were new owners and they were trying to refurbish the motel. I would think they need to put a lot more money into here. Our room had an old 21 inch tube TV which had a barely discernible picture. One could barely see the tennis ball during the match on TV. Then during the night, our light in the bedroom kept coming on every 45 during the night. I had to walk to the door and shut the light off. Then when we woke up, we found 3 places in the bathroom where the water was leaking down from the ceiling from the room above us. The hot tub was unusable and had black mold in the tub. BUT the service staff was very pleasant and the continental breakfast was more than adequate.
1 night romance trip Mar 15, 2015
"You get what you pay for! : ("
It was not a pleasant stay, but you get what you pay for. The microwave didn't work. The air unit was intermittent. and the TV only could get three channels. Towels were very flimsy and it took two to dry me off. Let's talk the bed comfort. If you like springs in your back, then go for it!
4 night business trip Mar 19, 2015
"good for the money"
Clean room, close to shopping and beaches. Older hotel, maintained. Breakfast foods ran out and were not replenished.
4 night family trip Mar 18, 2015
DeAnn
"Deplorable"
Cigarette burns on blankets and smelled as though the previous tenant was a live in chain smoker. The floor I was on was non smoking. I'm a smoker I was gagging from the stench of smoke covered everything. The hotel clerk offered new blankets and an apology, but no vacancy except 1 open room they had was in terrible condition, smelling even worse. The clerk said I could speak to the manager in the morning. I left 10 minutes after waking up, I was too disgusted to stay any longer.
Other trip Mar 24, 2015
S
"Decent"
Decent stay here. For the prize that I paid, I cant really complain. Just try to clean the carpet more thoroughly prior to accepting new guests. Also, the person in the front desk should smile a bit more. Remember that as a front desk clerk, you are the "face" of the hotel so a little bit more positive personality will go a long way.
3 night trip Mar 15, 2015
Manuel
"Not classy, but not terrible."
Not fancy by any means, but we just needed a cheap room in San Diego and it was fine for that. We did have some issues with hot water in the shower.
1 night romance trip Mar 19, 2015
Mallory
"family vacation"
It was clean and affordable the only downside is I was traveling with 2 small children and we were on the fourth floor and the ourside walkway made me a little nervous with them
1 night family trip Mar 18, 2015
Kate
"Horrible !!!"
Run down roach motel. Who refuse to fix broken facilities. No hot water etc. They told me "We have all your money. If you want to check out fine, but no refund"
Other trip Mar 20, 2015
Scot
"Worst hotel stay ever"
Worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Photos on Hotels.com are not what we experienced. Had to change rooms 3 times. It became so ridiculous it was laughable. If we had not prepaid we would have left.
3 night family trip Mar 14, 2015
Catherine
The room was sufficient for just a 3 night stay. The wifi was not up to speed. The weather was certainly hot enough for swimming, but the pool was not ready for swimmers. The TV was out of date and the picture was not very clear. On a positive note, the hotel was an easy drive to the airport.
Other trip Mar 16, 2015
"For the price I paid was worthy"
The room we stay was cleaned every day by housekeeper. Staffs were courteous and helpful. Any little complaint I made was taking care right away
3 night family trip Mar 9, 2015
Bernardita
"Adequate"
The Room is adequate; VERY convenient to many local attractions, the continental breakfast was stocked and attended to very well on Saturday by Manuel or Miguel but Sunday no one was attentive to restocking breakfast and making more coffee, breakfast only till 9AM, so beware, get up early if you are going to rely on it.
2 night family trip Mar 6, 2015
"the bed"
felt like I was rolling down hill. TV was blurry. picture not sharp
Other trip Mar 14, 2015
"hard to describe"
had to change rooms because first room was smelly like smoke and dingy, but gave us better room upon request. parking lot was dirty with flyers from restaurants and, flowing with dirty soapy water from laundry where you had to jump over the stream.
5 night romance trip Mar 4, 2015
Jacqueline
"don't stay here"
1st rm trashed when I opened the door 2nd rm bathrm out of order 3rd rm just ok bad neighborhood
1 night romance trip Mar 5, 2015
"The cheap price says it all"
There is absolutely no room service. We needed a couple extra towels and we had to go get them from the front office. There were cleaning ladys just down the hall, but ever thing has to go through the front office. I had a meeting and wanted my friend to be able to stay there during my meeting, but they wouldn't allow me to come in a couple hours early to check in and give her the key once it was check in time at 2p. They are so use to having people turn them down for the horrible rooms they actually have you look at the room before you rent it. We didnt really care because we just needed to room to crash at after partying downtown. If you are looking for anything remotely nice or descent dont come here.
1 night trip with friends Mar 6, 2015
Justin
"No WiFi and the room had an odor."
The young man at the Desk was very nice, but didn't seem to know very much about the area. The room had a an odor to it, maybe the carpet needs to be replaced, the pool didn't work and the most frustrating of all was the internet service NOT working. I didn't have time to look elsewhere as I was on a very tight schedule, so I was stuck.
1 night business trip Feb 27, 2015
Gloria
"Never stay here"
My stay here was the worst never again will I stay at another Howard Johnson again. Horrible customer service, clearness horrible, parking ridiculous, for the amount of money I spent I feel I should have some type of reimbursement I didn't get what I payed for very disappointing. I emailed the hotel management and I still haven't heard back very unprofessional. Please don't wast your time or money on this place you will regret it in the long run.
Other trip Feb 28, 2015
"Great hotel for the price!"
Great hotel for the price, you can't beat it. My boyfriend and I attended LED at the sports arena. This hotel is literally 5 minutes away. All we needed was a place to sleep at after the event and somewhere to shower. This hotel served it's purpose. If you're looking for a place just to sleep and shower this hotel will be a great fit.
1 night romance trip Feb 15, 2015
Klarissa
"management was unresponsive and rude"
dirty rooms, broken air conditioner/ heater, broken shower head,. had to get a new key cardeverytime housekeeping came to the room. stains in the toilet. the management at this hotel was very rude and not responsive. Howard Johnson should look into changing the staff, at this facility.they pretty much ruined my vacation.
Other trip Feb 21, 2015
"Pleasant stay- great service"
I had somewhat of a complicated booking and Miguel the manager was extremely accommodating and was training new employees at the same time. I'll be staying there again!
3 night trip with friends Feb 14, 2015