All hotels in San Diego, California, United States of America
1631 Hotel Cir S, San Diego, CA, 92108, United States of America, ‏‎855-239-9481

2.7
    2.9
    2.6
    2.4
"No WiFi and the room had an odor."
The young man at the Desk was very nice, but didn't seem to know very much about the area. The room had a an odor to it, maybe the carpet needs to be replaced, the pool didn't work and the most frustrating of all was the internet service NOT working. I didn't have time to look elsewhere as I was on a very tight schedule, so I was stuck.
1 night business trip Feb 27, 2015
Gloria
"Never stay here"
My stay here was the worst never again will I stay at another Howard Johnson again. Horrible customer service, clearness horrible, parking ridiculous, for the amount of money I spent I feel I should have some type of reimbursement I didn't get what I payed for very disappointing. I emailed the hotel management and I still haven't heard back very unprofessional. Please don't wast your time or money on this place you will regret it in the long run.
Other trip Feb 28, 2015
"Great hotel for the price!"
Great hotel for the price, you can't beat it. My boyfriend and I attended LED at the sports arena. This hotel is literally 5 minutes away. All we needed was a place to sleep at after the event and somewhere to shower. This hotel served it's purpose. If you're looking for a place just to sleep and shower this hotel will be a great fit.
1 night romance trip Feb 15, 2015
Klarissa
"management was unresponsive and rude"
dirty rooms, broken air conditioner/ heater, broken shower head,. had to get a new key cardeverytime housekeeping came to the room. stains in the toilet. the management at this hotel was very rude and not responsive. Howard Johnson should look into changing the staff, at this facility.they pretty much ruined my vacation.
Other trip Feb 21, 2015
"Pleasant stay- great service"
I had somewhat of a complicated booking and Miguel the manager was extremely accommodating and was training new employees at the same time. I'll be staying there again!
3 night trip with friends Feb 14, 2015
Christina
"CA"
good.
2 night family trip Feb 14, 2015
FANG
"Do not stay here!"
It was horrible! The room the first night had a bed that was a teeter totter, they were able to move us to another room the next night but the overall condition of the room was still deplorable!
3 night romance trip Feb 13, 2015
"Manager Paresh should have called me"
We knew this was a lower-budget facility and just needed a place to stay while visiting San Diego for Valentine's night out. The desk person asked me to look at the room first since they've had complaints. I said it was fine for us. The walls were atrociously dirty, but I didn't plan to touch them. The bed and linens were fine; the floor was clean and the bathroom was clean. It was a bargain price and we overheard at the front desk that the last few rooms were going for triple what we paid. Everything was just fine until a couple hours after we went to sleep. We woke up to the bright overhead light on in the bedroom. We realized it's on a motion sensor. Great for bathrooms; not great in a sleeping space. I got up and shut it off. Then, about 40 minutes later, BLAM--bright lights. Got up and shut it off again. We figured out that anytime we moved in bed, it triggered the light. So we tried not to move, but it still went on a good 7-8 more times by 7 am. We got maybe three hours of sleep in 20 minute increments by the time we could relax and fall asleep again. At the front desk, I said we'd been fine with the falling-apart aspects, but not getting sleep was not acceptable. I wrote a note to the manager. The front desk person let me know to call Paresh on Monday. I did. I called again Tuesday, too, with no response. That's unacceptable to be a lodging place that doesn't let people sleep. And this would be an easy fix, too.
Other trip Feb 18, 2015
K
"Not great but OK."
They had hot water issues for the four days we were there. By issues I mean there was none. Little hard to take a shower in cold water. WIFI did not work. If you are on a business trip and need a connection, this is not the place for you. Carpet was dirty and the furnishings had seen better days. Other than that it was a fair room.
4 night romance trip Feb 11, 2015
"Run down."
The hotel was run down. Internet wasn't working properly. Barely a breakfast. Smelt like mildew or mold. Dirty appearance with lots of problems like stains, tears/rips, etc.
Other trip Feb 14, 2015
"Bed was good!"
The desk staff, both the day and night person, seemed like they couldn't care less about helping. I had to plug in the AC/Heater. The chair in the room was too short for the table, the TV was an older tube-style with a very poor picture,...but the bed was comfortable and I slept well (which is the main reason I got a room). The included "Continental" breakfast was non-existent. There was 1 sweet-roll and a few slices of bread left with about an hour left on the breakfast time period. Plenty of cereal but no milk, no orange juice in the juice dispenser and 3 of the 4 coffee pots were empty. When prompted, the desk clerk came in and put a tray of rolls and muffins out but didn't bother with the drinks. He acted like he was upset he had to do anything at all. But the bed was good. You get what you pay for, don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.
2 night family trip Feb 10, 2015
Stephen
"Howard Johnson stay"
Good night's stay
1 night trip Jan 31, 2015
"No wifi"
Only problem was the wifi didn't work
2 night trip Jan 30, 2015
"Talk about a sleepless night"
Talk about a sleepless night. This is one of the worst hotel stay in southern California. When I first booked this hotel on expedia, like usual I got a good decent room to stay for the night. When I first arrived there to check in the hotel. The staff gave me the key to a non smoking room. Then I went up to the room, the first second I enter the room and took the first wheep of the room. Oh Man, I Just Shut the door and went down stair to ask for another room. That room smells like a bunch of smoke coming from the chimney. Through the stay of the night the noise of cars passing by the freeway just makes u want to down a bottle of Nyquil so u could fall asleep. Overall the only thing I could recommand is to demolished this hotel and rebuilt a much better hotel since they have a really nice location. To Americas' stay away from this hotel, it's not worth your money to stay here. U can find better rooms next door.
Other trip Feb 1, 2015
I am a traveler
"Great for the price."
My stay was a great one had a good time & enjoyed the room & the staff at the front desk.
3 night trip Jan 15, 2015
Richmond
"One night stay"
Room clean but not pretty. Service not very helpful or honest. Asked front desk if they had an ice machine, he said "No, we do not". Then I asked a person who lived there and she said "yes, it's around the back side". Located in a noisy area of town.
1 night romance trip Jan 9, 2015
"Quick Stay"
Overall the facilities were clean. There were two things that prevent a higher rating. The first was one side of one of the queen beds was pretty shot. The springs had collapsed and made it less than ideal for a good nights sleep, but not unbearable. Second, the room is directly adjacent to Interstate 8 and the highway traffic was audible, all night. For a one night stay, it was fine. I doubt I'd want to stay much longer than that.
Other trip Jan 25, 2015
College Dad
"Family visiting from New England"
We spent 8 nights at this hotel and I'll start by saying the staff was very friendly and helpful. The room however was very musty, like a thick moldy smell. The walls were also dirty with makeup and fingerprints, and we almost went in the Jacuzzi but that wasnt clean either. Once the windows were open it was pretty comfortable. The bed was really nice and had no signs of bugs. If they worked on just regular cleanliness perhaps some febreeze it would have been better, but my family and I were satisfied with our stay. Especially for the price we paid and the convenient location. It's off the highway but there is a bus stop right out front which goes all over San Diego.
8 night family trip Jan 12, 2015
Desirae
"lousy hotel"
The lights in the room did not work right. It would light up in the middle of the night waking us up. Several complaints did not fix the problem. The Desk Clerk could not make any decision without the manager's consent who was never on the site!
Other trip Jan 21, 2015
"Nice rested good for the price"
Rested relaxed good coffee watched rv good for the price
Other trip Jan 19, 2015
Carlos
"a oder at the Howard Johnson"
the Howard Johnson have a stitch to it and I will not be staying there again
Other trip Jan 19, 2015
"BAD Hotel"
BAD will NEVER stay there again TV not working rooms small
Other trip Jan 18, 2015
Cindy
"Overall bad"
Bad experience. We were 4 guests and every day there were only towels for two despite of our complaints, so every morning I had to come down to the lobby for towels. The matress was too soft for my wife who has back problems and there was no option for her but to sleep there. The only elevator is difficult to reach and it is across the lobby making it hard to get luggage in an out the room
3 night family trip Jan 12, 2015
Federico
"sTisfied"
Great! No problemos
1 night trip Jan 9, 2015
Edward
"Get what you pay for."
Room was on the 4th floor in front of building facing a noisy freeway. Carpet was old and stained. Bedding was worn thin. Shower curtain rail was ready to fall down. Wifi signal was basically unusable for anything more than retrieving email. Television set (24" tube type) had very fuzzy reception on all but a few channels. Fridge, microwave and coffee maker all worked fine. Pastries, cereal, juice and coffee for free breakfast. Front desk clerk was very nice. Even took good care of my drivers license and credit card, which I left at the desk on check in.
Other trip Jan 15, 2015
"Staff is nice"
For the amount you pay... it was worth it. Would def come back if I were ever in the area and needed a cheap hotel to stay for the weekend. The building is old, but I didn't expect anything nice. The staff is really nice and our room was pretty clean. Toilet and shower was kind of old, but usable.
Other trip Jan 12, 2015
Tia
"Easy check in."
Convenient process. No high $ of deposit.
1 night family trip Jan 4, 2015
Some trashed foods on the outside hallway & stairways! That's GROSS!
Other trip Jan 8, 2015
MM
"Total dump - avoid like the plague...."
Filthy, dilapidated, bad WIFI, won't allow you to eat breakfast in your room, etc....
3 night business trip Jan 2, 2015
alice
"thanks"
No problem at all all went very smooth.
1 night trip Jan 1, 2015
Edward
"hotel stay"
This hotel worked for our stay. It was not great, but we only slept there.
4 night family trip Dec 28, 2014
"Howard Johnson hotel circle"
Nice place to stay for the money! Would definitely spend a little more next time and stay soneplace nicer
1 night trip with friends Dec 31, 2014
"Not recommended"
The Room smelled really bad, I couldn't sleep from the smell. But for the price you'll just have to take your candles and smell good sprays
2 night family trip Dec 26, 2014
Miguel M.
"nice hotel near mall"
we only did use the hotel for sleep, continental breakfast was so poor
Other trip Dec 30, 2014
j garcia
"Cheap price and cheap quality."
You will get whatever you pay for it.
2 night family trip Dec 24, 2014
Madhusudhana
"family time"
the hotel was alright no restaurants closed by,,,so we call in a pizza.service was with in 45 min.the cont.breakfast was not good,just toast and coffee,no good creamer,,,,,but it was better than nothing.....room smelled maggie,,,but you get what you pay for,,,,it is closed to down town,,,that I liked
1 night family trip Dec 26, 2014
alicia
"Convenient"
Credit card upon check in is understandable but Unlike other hotels around here in SD, they do not require 100+ deposits per stay. I like it this simple way as we don't have to waste bank transition time back and forth.
1 night family trip Dec 21, 2014
Not the best of facilities but it was OK for the price
Other trip Dec 23, 2014
"disappointed"
It was horrible!!!!! When i got to my room, the shower didn't work. I have a video in my phone of maintenance saying that the hotel never informed him of my inconvenience until the following morning, approximately about an hour before checkout. I am very unhappy with the service I received. I am extremely dissatisfied!!!!! And on top of all that, i was promised to receive a call in 3 hours from the billing department, which i still have NOT received. The billing department still hasn't contacted me and its been two days. I called in and reported my unpleasant stay and talked to a manager/supervisor named "Miles" and he was EXTREMELY rude. He did not display ANY customer service attributes at all!!! He was VERY, VERY rude!!! He cut me off, he was very short, and he didn't even listen to my complaint nor did he even attempt to resolve my issue. I am EXTREMELY unhappy with the room that i booked with your website and i am also very unhappy with the service that was provided.
1 night romance trip Dec 20, 2014
Shearleena
"SD Hotel"
Although friendly service, hotel room was very uncomfortable. Comforters had holes, blankets were hard and body felt itchy. In the first room we got the TV did not work. TVs are very old. You could here the noise of the freeway all night long.
1 night family trip Dec 19, 2014
It was ok
1 night family trip Dec 19, 2014
"please bring your rooms into the current century."
Glad I only had to stay one night, so I guess in that sense the room served its purpose but I probably will not be staying there again.
1 night romance trip Dec 17, 2014
"Good for your money"
Great! It was so nice and good location.
1 night romance trip Dec 14, 2014
"Don't Stay here for comfort or for breakfast"
The layout of the hotel is not ideal for someone carrying a lot of bags. I had to stay here to get a way and wrap presents one night. It is right by the interstate so you hear all the cars driving by. There were old burn marks on the blanket. The pillows were tiny. The person that put the towels in the room only put enough for one person to bath and for 3 to dry off. The room was clean. The breakfast was a joke, there was watered down orange juice and apple juice, coffee, a some blueberry muffins, 2 kinds of dry cereal, and some other pastry I could not make out. The staff was not at the desk when I needed to check in or out. I had to stand there for a long time before I got any help. I would not stay here again.
1 night trip Dec 11, 2014
"Very accommodating staff"
I actually live in San Diego but needed a hotel room for an uncertain amount of time due to home renovations. I at first booked a week, then found out I needed to stay another week, and then another week. I later found out that I didn't need the whole last week, and they aloud me to check out early and give me a refund. Ragu was extremely accommodating by letting me check out then checking me in right away as to not have to change rooms. For the price, and I looked around, this was a nice room. All the staff were very kind to me. Hotel circle is not a bad neighborhood compared to other hotels I found for around the same price. I'd recommend staying here.
6 night trip Dec 11, 2014
"it time for RENOVATION!"
it was ok ,we only came to sleep if you were staying all day it would be bad. The management and staff great.
3 night family trip Dec 8, 2014
william
"Friendly service"
Stayed a few times hete now, it has become my go to hotel in San diego. The price is good and it's close to everything right off the i8. Vic the manager is very friendly and if you forget something like a tooth brush or need more shampoo the front desk will hook you up. I recomend it if you need an affordable room and don't want the glitz of the high priced places around downtown.
1 night trip Dec 5, 2014
"SO-SO"
The Desk man was attentive, but never was able to get the Wifi working in my room as advertised. The room was very noisy because of the poor condition of the door seals and proximity to the freeways. Breakfast was coffee, reconstituted fruit juice, two choices of dry cereals and some low quality pastries. The hotel is very old, in poor condition and outdated but the staff is good. The low rate is the only reason to choose this hotel.
4 night business trip Dec 3, 2014
Ron
Great location, very clean, continental breakfast nicely done, & staff was nice. Our only complaint was terrible beds, very uncomfortable.
Other trip Dec 4, 2014
"Don't Believe Negative Reviews"
I read negative reviews of this hotel prior to making the reservation. I arrived jaded however the stay was satisfactory. It is easy to get to. It is close to Old Town, Hillcrest, the beaches and other parts of San Diego. The staff was friendly and the rates were the best in the surrounding area. I would suggest you ignore any negative reviews.
5 night family trip Nov 26, 2014