All hotels in Phoenix, Arizona, United States of America
5200 E Camelback Road, Phoenix, AZ, 85018, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

Great amenities
  • Wellness Area
    Great wellness & sports facilities
    Quite clean
    Room is all right
  • Value for money
    Poor value for money
"More boutique less of a family hotel- Staff GREAT!"
Pros: Lovely boutique, small hotel with adult focus. A little out of the way so need a car or take taxis. Pool lovely. Spa small but staff was wonderful and made my 12 year old VERY welcome. Staff at reception was professional. Mona called us at home in advance to organize a booking for NYE - great service!! TJ Cooks for dinner was also fantastic. The lamb rack was the best we have ever tasted anywhere in the world. Love the fact they offer generous half glasses of wine. Live music was great! In our opinion hotel-good for short adult stay. Cons: Rooms a little dark in winter months but still comfortable. We had a major issue with Expedia over what was included in our F&B package, versus their description.- Please read VERY fine print...Parking charges (in even smaller print, were completely unnecessary & unwelcome) & Expedia parking & tax ESTIMATED costs were much lower than final charges). Make all charges clear upfront so that customers can make informed decisions. Did not feel that this was a family focused hotel e.g. fold out beds not terribly comfortable for our older children, pool too small and too far away from facilities for longer stays. Our other Scottsdale hotel on same trip had free shuttle within 3 miles which was fabulous. Housekeeping service-inconsistent, one room well serviced the other not so, but staff helpful when we followed up. Please beware of unregulated "Express Car" charges booked by hotel for NYE, charged $40 for a 4 mile trip.
Other trip Jan 2, 2015
GJ
wonderful!! did't like the shower.... spa was amazing... restaurant food wonderful/room service too
Other trip Jan 2, 2015
andrea
"Royal Palms 2 night stay"
Service is excellent. All employees are pleasant and willing to please. Bathrooms have no heat...marble floors..freezing. Bathtub was to the floor with no safety bar handles. Could not take a bath in fear of not being able to lift myself. Room needs brightening up! Restaurant is superb!
2 night romance trip Dec 25, 2014
jjocelyn
"This was an absolutely beautiful hotel."
The staff was extremely friendly and courteous. I felt like I was at a Spanish villa. The restaurant, T. Cooke's was amazing! I highly recommend booking a stay here.
Other trip Dec 31, 2014
Dancouns
"Disappointed this time"
This was our 5th stay at the Palm in eight years and it will be our last ! While the pool and grounds remain incredible , sadly the rooms are in need of a massive make over . For example , couch was old and dirty , TVs were cheap with bad sound and movie quality . Room was not cleaned well either . The staff ( apart from the female concierge who was awesome ) were generally friendly but not ' engaged ' in their jobs . An example of this was the awful room we were given ( as returning guests ) right on a corner by the road , I'm sorry but at over $400 a night I expect better . We ended up checking out early and going to another hotel .
Other trip Dec 31, 2014
P
"Centrally Located for Scottsdale"
Staff very accommodating and beautiful surroundings!
Other trip Dec 29, 2014
Vicki
"anniversary Shangri-la"
Can't wait to go back and enjoy this beautiful resort. Everything from the grounds to the food to the quaint bar invites you to extend your stay.
1 night romance trip Dec 23, 2014
peter
"Charmingly romantic"
Great place to go with a loved one and share time.
Other trip Dec 11, 2014
Alan
"My stay at Royal Palm from Tues, Nov 25 - 28"
Was shocked to have to pay $30 daily -- in advance -- to cover all amenities. But was told by the concierge "feel free to leave a tip" !! Hotel is very confusing to navigate. One night, when I came home around 8pm, I went to the front desk to tell the person on duty that I didn't know how to find my room. Instead of getting someone to help me, she just handed me a map. After 15 minutes of trying to read the "map" in the dark, I finally came upon one of the valets who took me to my room.
Other trip Dec 3, 2014
"Relaxing grounds"
Booked a couple of nights during Thanksgiving and ate Thanksgiving dinner at T Cooks (restaurant onsite). Staff were very friendly and attentive. Dinner was perfect. The grounds are beautiful. This hotel should be considered for more of a couples romantic getaway. Not much for kids to do other than run around the well manicured grounds and play in the heated pool. Great stay.
2 night family trip Nov 26, 2014
brian
Enjoyed a romantic weekend at this historic resort. The spa and the restaurant were among the best I've been to.
Other trip Nov 24, 2014
Tina
"Delightful two nights in Phoenix"
I stayed solo for two nights while in Phoenix for a business trip. The hotel was delightful. The room was large, the bar and restaurant were friendly and pleasant, the swimming pool inviting. The grounds are extensive, I got lost my first night. My only suggestion would be to expand the gym a bit. It was a little on the small side. Otherwise thanks for a wonderful stay.
2 night business trip Nov 19, 2014
thomas
"Beautiful Getaway"
We escaped the rain of the Northwest for a quick four day getaway in the sun. Beautiful property and great staff, especially the "cabana boys", Robert and Brandon! Only complaint, our villa 125, was too close to the catering facility, wasn't as peaceful as it could have been. Particularly when there were several events over the four days.
Marnie
"Poor service, not guest friendly"
Got out of the shower after arrival, no bath towels; the only hotel I've ever stayed in Phoenix area (probably a dozen hotels) which did not put complimentary water in the room (and the room cost $399 per night, $480 with tax other fees); bed sagged in the middle; awakened at 7 am (6 am my time) by the upstairs guests on a Saturday; complained to the front desk and manager, who didn't care. The noise continued until 9 am when I promptly checked out. I would not recommend this hotel. I've never been awakened by an upstairs guest in any hotel, including a lower end hotel in a foreign country. The only positive thing I can stay is that the valets were friendly.
Response by Royal Palms Resort and Spa - Destination Hotels & Resorts
Please accept our sincere apologies for the challenges you faced during your visit. We very much care about all of our guests and deeply regret the experience you had. We have addressed all of your comments with our team and look forward to welcoming you back to provide a very memorable and positive stay. Please contact the Manager on Duty when booking your next visit and we will be happy to assist with the details.
Other trip Nov 18, 2014
"Almost Perfect"
Only a couple of small problems kept me from a five star rating. The refrig in the room was broken and started to smell before I had to bring it to the attention of the staff for the 2nd time before it was replaced. The other was that 2 light bulbs were burnt out when we checked in. I would think that they would have been noticed by housekeeping & replaced before I had to tell them about it. Other that those 2 minor problems the place was amazing & the service was top notch. Sounds picky but you expect a lot from a place like this...
3 night romance trip Oct 23, 2014
jerry
"Old school charm"
Great place for a long weekend. We had a great time strolling around the immaculately kept grounds. Staff was great. Our Valencia room was on the edge of the property, and we loved having a private walkway and patio in our corner of the world. Pool was clean and kept warm enough for a morning swim. We will definitely be back!
Other trip Oct 29, 2014
"Nice but way overpriced"
The hotel was nice, staff were attentive, grounds were well kept, but the Valencia Casita room was a bit of a letdown. I think if you book through a travel site instead of through the hotel, they stick you in one of the "other" rooms. That's my hunch. On top of the room rate, they also charge a $30 a day resort fee along with a $15 a day valet parking fee. There were a considerable number of mosquitos and other winged creatures in the room as well. Overall we had a decent stay, but we just weren't blown away by the room. It was disappointing considering we paid $1500 for a four night stay. Lesson learned.
Response by Royal Palms Resort and Spa - Destination Hotels & Resorts
Thank you for your kind comments about the property and our attentive staff. Our resort fee does include gratuities for our service staff and we hope that you found the non-tipping environment convenient. Please accept our apologies for the challenges you faced and we hope that you will return to Royal Palms and possibly try another room type to provide you with an enjoyable experience. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
4 night romance trip Oct 17, 2014
"fabulous"
very nice for many years
2 night business trip Oct 14, 2014
monty
"Beautiful resort. It was small and quaint."
It was a very relaxing atmosphere and exactly what we were hoping for when we planned a weekend getaway.
Other trip Oct 20, 2014
"Quaint hotel, great location"
Royal Palms is a royal treat! The resort is beautiful, the food is delicious, and the staff is the friendliest I have ever encountered at any resort. The pool is small but very quiet and relaxing. The location is fantastic- close to Camelback Mountain and great shopping. I can't wait for my next stay at Royal Palms!
Other trip Oct 20, 2014
Katie
"One of the best hotels I've ever stayed"
Top notch friendly service, delicious food, gorgeous setting.
Response by Royal Palms Resort and Spa - Destination Hotels & Resorts
Thank you for your outstanding review! We are thrilled to read that Royal Palms was one of the best resorts you have ever visited. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
3 night trip Oct 3, 2014
"Historic Luxury"
This is a wonderful hotel. I had no idea that it was an historic hotel and really appreciated the layout, the gardens, and excellent service by the staff. Whenever we asked a staff person directions around the hotel, they immediately offered to show us the way. T. Cook's is an amazing restaurant with terrific food. We also liked that the resort fees included all tips for housekeeping and bell service. It is truly a relaxing environment with a nice pool and exercise room.
Other trip Oct 6, 2014
"Don't do it!"
Bad from the start and still trying to settle my bill that was charged incorrectly to my credit card. I had to checkout a day early because the air conditioning in my room was not working properly and it was more like a swamp than a hotel room. I did try to resolve the problem but was unsuccessful and had to end up leaving. As I was getting my final bill at the front desk after all of my luggage was loaded in my car, a very rude employee reminded me for the third time that I booked with a third party vendor and she maybe could have offered me a different room. The front desk staff needs some serious help. I have stayed in many resorts in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area and this was by far my worst experience. I would not recommend this hotel. There are many more beautiful hotels in the area where they are very accommodating and the customer service is much better. I have waited literally days for a single call back from anyone at this resort to settle these issues and have had to make what is now the 5th phone call and message and have yet to resolve one issue. FYI they apparently look down on booking through a third party vendor at this hotel as I was reminded by the not so kind front desk lady! Save your money and go a half mile down the road to the Phoenician, it will be worth it, trust me!!!
2 night family trip Sep 12, 2014
Brenda
"MOSQUITOES!!!!!!!!"
A potentially great stay was all but ruined by a plethora of mosquitoes. If ANYONE had mentioned anything about mosquitoes prior to our stay,we would have cancelled or gone at a time of year when there aren't mosquitoes. This hotel is nice, but multiple things were just 'off' with this hotel. The spa made several mistakes. house cleaning was inconsistent. The rooms have no ventilation, the windows are sealed with no screens, and they even have signs hanging from the doors in the rooms asking that you not leave the doors open. We had a casita with a patio but we were unable to sit outside because after ten minutes the first night, we were covered in bites. The hotel appeared to be very proactive with the weddings and other parties by covering the area in Citronella candles, etc. But, apparently if you're a guest at the hotel, ti's no big deal. The staff is friendly. To their defense, when we first mentioned the mosquitoes to the front desk, after they were defensive, they offered to spray the room. (which then left a fowl smell for several days). The hotel obviously has had mosquito problems for a long time, because we spoke with staff who said it's part of the property. Our stay felt less than luxurious. We were not the only people complaining. I've stayed at multiple 4 and 5 star hotels. This does NOT qualify.
Response by Royal Palms Resort and Spa - Destination Hotels & Resorts
Thank you for your feedback. It is our hope that all of our guests are able to relax and feel comfortable when visiting the property. We apologize that you were unable to thoroughly enjoy your visit to Phoenix but please be assured that we have already addressed the issues you mentioned. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back the next time you are in Arizona.
9 night trip Sep 25, 2014
"Great Place to Relax"
Wonderful! Beautiful and relaxing. The Spa was great, the pool was lovely.
3 night romance trip Sep 29, 2014
Lynne
"Shouldn't be called resort"
This is not really a "resort" it's open to public so u have to make reservations to eat. The cabanas at the pool are already reserved by locals. 80% of there business is from locals. All I have to say is it's not worth the money. The food is excellent and staff friendly but I have stayed at places way better and way cheaper then this place.
Response by Royal Palms Resort and Spa - Destination Hotels & Resorts
We are very sorry to read your comments about your visit. Our restaurant T.Cook's is a local favorite and we highly recommend confirming reservations in advance. However, we do not allow local guests to utilize the facilities such as the pool and Cabana Café. These amenities are only for the use of our resort and spa guests. We hope that you will give Royal Palms another try when you are in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area.
Other trip Sep 29, 2014
Alex
"Impeccable!!"
This is a first class, one-of-a-kind property! It has beautiful history and everything about the resort is perfect! Stay in a casita with outside sitting area!
Response by Royal Palms Resort and Spa - Destination Hotels & Resorts
Thank you for your amazing review! We are so glad that you enjoyed the rich history of the property and that your stay was perfect. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Other trip Sep 23, 2014
"Gorgeous!"
The staff took such good care of my mother for her birthday! She won't soon forget. ;) also AMAZING brioche burger by the pool!
1 night trip Sep 13, 2014
"weekend get away"
room where nice a little musty from recent rains as cartper was wet by door ,dissapointed with the maintence of the landscape such nice rooms and the grass was high saturday by the pool palm trees full of dead branches walks not trimmed back for walking comfort etc such a nice gree cozy place and weak on exterior scape
Other trip Sep 15, 2014
"Resort was nice, room had issues and so did staff"
Upon arrival the staff to greet you were welcoming, however the manager at the front was short in her demeanor and proceeded to reprimand a staff member right in front of us. The grounds were beautiful and quiet. The restaurant and bar on site was welcoming and the staff were friendly as well. Our room though nice had some issues to include the shower being clogged turning into an unwelcome bath. The refrigerator's contents were all were warm. The thermostat in the room did not work. The next morning when we addressed it with the staff at check out they did not offer any accommodation other than to "comp" us for the water (which mind you was warm due to the fridge not working properly) and the Tylenol. Of which I was still charged for by the way. For the high expectations I had based on other reviews, I was quite disappointed
1 night romance trip Aug 29, 2014
The Royal Palms was a decent hotel, very upscale but there were some points not on par with what you may expect from a five star hotel. First off, I chose the upgraded room to include mountain views but ended up facing away from the mountain separated from the main road by a 10' wall. A second point of contention were the ants in the shower. I know this is the desert and creatures are struggling to survive but not necessarily something you expect at a five star hotel. Finally, the hostess at T. Cooks was rather curt. She attempted to hide it with a phony smile but it's not hard to read peoples pretentious undertones when they are as deeply seated as hers appeared to be.
1 night business trip Sep 6, 2014
"Excellent experience"
We booked online without many expectations (you never really know). We were pleasantly surprised. It's a beautiful historic resort at the base of Camelback Mountain. The room was beautiful and the staff was inctedible. The best valet service I've ever seen. Check in was quick and easy. We didn't get a chance to use the pool or spa but we checked out and they were really nice. I'm coming back here for sure.
Response by Royal Palms Resort and Spa - Destination Hotels & Resorts
Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at our historic estate and highlighted the beautiful guestrooms and unparalleled service from our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another visit!
2 night business trip Aug 22, 2014
Rod
"Well needed get-a -way"
Love the Royal Palms, 5 star first class resort.All staff members were friendly and attentive.I would have loved a room with bath tub, which is what I thought we were getting, otherwise everything was great.
Other trip Aug 28, 2014
"AWESOME"
We loved it!!! Wished we have stayed longer. Great honeymoon location
1 night romance trip Aug 24, 2014
dave eshbach
"Wonderful!!"
Loved every minute! Attentive staff! Beautiful place!!
Other trip Aug 26, 2014
Nicole
Very comfortable hotel ! The best hotel we ever stayed.
Other trip Aug 26, 2014
Falter
"Amazing, relaxing and truly enjoyable"
My stay at Royal Palms was wonderful. ALL the employees were beyond nice and super attentive. Food, pool and the room was perfect.
2 night trip Aug 22, 2014
lora
great room great spanish style great and fast warm service free water and beverage but the pool is small and the mosqutoea go crazy. got more than 20bites. Careful for blood O type people.
Other trip Aug 24, 2014
"Wonderful Resort"
One of the best resorts we have ever stayed at. Beautiful facility, tremendous amenities, warm, friendly, helpful and hospitable staff. Room, pool area, spa, lobby and grounds exquisitely maintained. T Cooks was one of the best restaurants we have ever eaten at. Beautiful setting at the foot of Camelback Mountain. Great location-quiet and serene at the resort, but near a lot of restaurants and shopping. Full of a rich and storied history. Will return, again and again.
Response by Royal Palms Resort and Spa - Destination Hotels & Resorts
Thank you for your outstanding review of Royal Palms! We are thrilled to read that this was one of the best resorts you have ever visited. We look forward to welcoming you back again, and again, and again!
5 night trip Aug 17, 2014
Jerry
"Good location and service"
Clean room and comfortable bed
1 night business trip Aug 18, 2014
The grounds were beautiful and the hotel was very relaxing. The staff was outstanding and very attentive. I wish we could have stayed more than one night!
Other trip Aug 20, 2014
"Everything was great."
The spa was a little cold. Registration area is to small.
Other trip Aug 19, 2014
"Gorgeous hotel in Old Scottsdale"
This stunning hotel, on impeccable grounds, in the shadow of Camelback Mountain reflects the beauty and grace of a more elegant time in Scottsdale. One simply cannot find a lovelier place to stay.
Response by Royal Palms Resort and Spa - Destination Hotels & Resorts
Thank you for your review of our historic estate! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
1 night trip Aug 16, 2014
ARM
Great luxury hotel. T Cooks serves delicious food. Pool setting is serene. We have stayed here about 10 times as it is so nice.
Other trip Aug 19, 2014
"Business trip"
Great experience! Wonderful staff! Facility a beautiful charming resort!
Other trip Aug 16, 2014
Mari
"Very Relaxing Experience"
The casita was beautiful and charming. In the morning we took advantage of the spa and enjoyed the eucalyptus steam bath, outdoor lounging, warm spa, and great showers. A pina colada by the pool was a perfect finish to our morning. Then off to Scottsdale Fashion Square and Biltmore. Next time my visit will be longer.
1 night trip Aug 13, 2014
Sue Lyman
"romantic"
cleanliness of room/resort, quality of service was perfect. Perfect for a romantic getaway. would definitely be back
1 night romance trip Jul 31, 2014
"Tarnished Reputation"
This property has the reputation of an old school, high class property. I had a terrible experience here. First the property has very low occupancy this time of year (hence, the discounted rates). Yet they put me in a poorly configured handicapped room for no apparent reason. Had an important business meeting the next morning, and found that my room had no hot water! Waited for some repair assistance, and finally gave up and took a cold shower. Then I got transfered later that night to an very hot room. Took all night to cool off, with little or no sleep. Horrific experience.
Response by Royal Palms Resort and Spa - Destination Hotels & Resorts
We are very disappointed to read your review and sincerely apologize for the experience you had. This certainly does not sound like the standards we maintain. We hope that you will return to our property so we can provide the level of service that we are best known.
2 night trip Aug 11, 2014
"Best hotel ever!"
I stay at 4 & 5 star hotels around the world, This is the best hotel i have ever stayed at. It's intimate, the grounds are beautiful, the restaurant amazing and the staff go OVER THE TOP to meet your needs. I will definitely be returning!
1 night business trip Aug 12, 2014
"Oasis in the desert"
Beautiful, historic property. Exquisite example of Mexican colonial style architecture with hidden pools, fountains and courtyards. Room with bathroom for handicapped guest was comfortable but not huge. Easy to access elevator to parking garage.
Other trip Aug 13, 2014