All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
440 Post St, San Francisco, CA, 94102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

4.8
    4.8
A very convenient and nicely managed hotel, where the staff aims to please. Rooms are cozy but comfortable. Our was quiet, a plus in this neighborhood.
Other trip Apr 1, 2014
"Trip to San Francisco for professional conference."
Excellent stay at this hotel. Was in town for a conference and decided to stay here instead of the host hotel, Hilton Union Square. A good decision, staff was friendly, courteous and always ready to help. I'll be back again!
Other trip Mar 31, 2014
"Fantastic small hotel in great location"
I stayed here with my wife for two nights (mid March, 2014) before we joined some friends in Napa. The location of this hotel is perfect - caddy-corner across from Union Square. The neighborhood is bustling, full of great restaurants and stores, with convenient access to public transportation as well as rental cars. We stayed in room #406, at the back of the hotel, away from the street, which was perfectly clean, comfortable and very quiet. We both found the bed to be very comfortable. The bath products are from Aveda, which my wife really appreciated. The hotel itself is in very good condition, and the staff is friendly, and very helpful. I accidentally left behind my iPad charger, and when I called to inquire if they had found it, they located it quickly, and shipped it back to me at no charge, which flabbergasted me. All in all, a perfect place to spend a few days in SF.
2 night trip with friends Mar 21, 2014
"Wonderful Stay!"
Great staff, bigger than average room, lots of individual attention, a perfect stay in an ideal location, just half a block off Union Square. Would stay here again and will!
2 night business trip Mar 19, 2014
Dave M
"Staff is amazing"
The staff is the friendliest I have ever encountered at any hotel, anywhere...will help with food recommendations, directions, send you food/drink, anything you need...location is right in the heart of Union Square, by the trolley car stop and shopping...I give the neighborhood a 4 instead of a 5 because you cannot walk a block in the city without being harassed for money...room was spotless...hotel itself very quaint and charming...temperatures were in the high 50's/low 60's, but still got a little warm in the room with no a/c...I would stay here again without hesitation...I did a lot of research before booking here, and it paid off
Response by Inn At Union Square
Dear Darren, We appreciate your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us; especially about our wonderful staff. Our employees take great pride and satisfaction in providing each guest with an exceptional stay and are always willing to help. We're glad to read that you also enjoyed our central location near shopping, dining and the cable car stop. We hope to have the pleasure to serve you again soon. At your service, Norbert Mede General Manager Inn at Union Square
4 night romance trip Mar 5, 2014
Darren
"Outstanding Value in Union Square"
I had a terrific stay at the Inn at Union Square on a recent business trip to San Francisco. The rooms are elegant, comfortable, spacious, and surprisingly quiet for a hotel located in the heart of the city. The location less than half a block from Union Square can't be beat in terms of access to the Financial District and SoMA for business travelers. What really distinguishes the Inn at Union Square, however, is the exceptional service. The hotel staff are some of the friendliest people I have met anywhere, and they are unfailingly helpful. Best of all, the Inn at Union Square is friendly to the wallet. I paid well south of $200 a night (including taxes) when comparable rooms at the big national chains were priced at $350 or more.
4 night business trip Mar 2, 2014
Whimsicalboy
"Our favorite hotel in San Francisco"
My husband and I stayed at this boutique hotel for four nights and really enjoyed it. It so happened that part of our stay was on Valentine's Day. Upon returning from dinner that evening we were so pleasantly surprised to find our bed covered in rose petals with towels in the form of kissing swans. Not to mention Champagne on Ice. I have to complement the staff, they were all so helpful and very friendly.
Other trip Mar 3, 2014
"Perfect location for walking downtown"
The Inn at Union Square was just what I hoped for. The only glitch was parking. It was very difficult to find parking so that we could check in. We got lucky and found a place close enough that Valet could take over for us. It was expensive but worth every penny. Great staff, small but comfortable rooms.
Other trip Feb 10, 2014
Well Traveled
"Small boutique hotel with excellent service"
We stayed a few extra days after a conference my wife was attending. Moved from a big box hotel to The Inn. Pricing was more affordable and it is located a half block from Union Square. We could walk to most areas of interest or catch the trolley easily. The staff was excellent and most attentive. The service was very personalized. They knew you by name. We will definitely stay at The Inn next time we visit.
Other trip Feb 4, 2014
"Surprisingly nice"
The room was clean and good size for SF. I was really surprised by how incredibly nice the staff was. We came in for a business trip and the handle to one of pieces of luggage broke and made it hard to wheel around. The lady at the fornt desks noticed and had it fixed by the time we left - never asking for a penny! The hotel is literally steps away from Farallon and Mortens which is a huge plus for great client dinners. This is my go to stay in SF now.
1 night business trip Jan 22, 2014
Kurt Lohse
"Cozy hotel in union square!"
Small but cozy and convenient. Close to everything, very friendly staff. Okay continental breakfast. Will stay again :)
1 night romance trip Jan 16, 2014
"Nice boutique hotel VERY close to Union Square"
We went to SF to celebrate our wedding anniversary and found this hotel last minute. Good deal, great location and our room was quiet, NO noise from the busy street (but our view was of a brick wall, no biggie - we go outside anyway). No ear plugs needed! I was concerned when I first walked in but it was clean, staff was very accommodating and nice classical music playing when I checked in. Remember this is a "boutique" meaning it's an old small, building, but it has so much charm on the inside and did I say "clean" and comfortable. The price included: early evening wine & cheese reception, cookies for a evening snack, continental breakfast and free internet. The room was small but nothing bad for 2 people. The only complaint was that there wasn't much counter space in the bathroom, but that to is not such a big deal. We definitely will come back to this hotel in the future!
Other trip Jan 13, 2014
Full of Light
"Perfection on the heart of San Fran"
Very welcoming and helpful staff. Clean and comfortable rooms, great location, close to everything, free wifi, continental breakfast, wine and cheese in the evening. Most excellent experience. Highly recommend!
Other trip Jan 10, 2014
mike & irina
"steps from union square"
Staff and hotel were perfect . The room was pleasing to the eye, spacious for the area and quiet. The staff were very helpful and tea and coffee were of good quality the next morning. Plan to stay again, felt very safe Parking is always an issue in the union square area, but valet is available. Best stay of the small hotels in the area over the past 5 years. Thank you
1 night trip with friends Dec 21, 2013
katherine
"Christmas shopping"
Great attention to details. Loved the newspaper in the morning at my door, the wine tasting with canapes at night & a cooky for bedtime, as well as chocolate on my pillow. Lots of towels in the bathroom, very clean. Great breakfast included in price.Will stay there again. Short walking distance to Union Square & all shops & restaurants. A boutique hotel. Great experience.
1 night trip Dec 19, 2013
"Fantastic customer service"
This is a quaint hotel conveniently located in Union Square. It is definitely an old hotel - there is no A/C, the elevator is extremely slow, and my room was on the third floor and had a view of a brick wall, but I enjoyed everything else. The customer service was exceptional - you can tell they pride themselves on it and I think they are deserving of praise. The wifi was free (a pet peeve of mine is when I pay over $200/night for a room and they still charge me for wifi) and the continental breakfast had very nice pastries. I probably wouldn't stay here in the summer (since there is no A/C) but I'd definitely stay again in the winter months.
Other trip Dec 13, 2013
"Small Hotel, Big Service"
Book this hotel! I came to San Francisco for a conference and by the time I tried to book my hotel, all the conference's room blocks were sold out. Even my family member, who works for a boutique hotel chain in the area, couldn't get me a room. But there were rooms left at the Inn at Union Square. And I am so glad there were. The rooms, while small, were clean, updated, and decorated nicely. The staff was welcoming and helpful. The location was perfect. Book your stay here, you won't regret it!
Other trip Nov 22, 2013
"Great Location!"
Stayed here for an event. The room was tiny and old but we really only needed a room as a place to sleep so it did the job. The room faced a brick wall so no view but again we didn't need a view. The hotel staff was AMAZING!! Super nice! The only bummer was we didn't have a fridge or microwave. There seemed to be a communal mini fridge on each floor but I don't trust others enough to leave food there. I will absolutely stay here again!! I am a hotel snob! The city can be a stressful place but the staff made our stay GREAT!! We will be back!
1 night trip Oct 19, 2013
"Unique Hotel Experience"
The staff was very friendly and welcoming right from the very start. Wayne the Innkeeper was very insightful and willing to provide suggestions on places to visit in the city. This hotel is not for everyone. It has a very European Bed and Breakfast feel to it. If you want a typical hotel experience then you shouldn't stay here. This however is part of the charm. To stay in such a large and busy city and be able to forget you're right in the middle of everything is pretty neat. Wine and cheese tastings are offered every night and included as part of your stay. We only took advantage of this a few times but it was a nice touch. The location is great and central to just about everywhere you would want to walk to in the city. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is looking to have a unique experience in such a unique city.
Other trip Oct 13, 2013
Ricky
"NO AIR CONDITIONING !"
The rooms are small and oddly shaped...they overlook the back of a Morton's steakhouse, so the smells and sounds are strong. The staff is excellent and did their best to make our stay comfortable by bringing in a portable window air conditioner. While it was helpful, it was HUGE and loud.
3 night trip with friends Sep 29, 2013
Room was small although pleasant. It could do with air conditioning as it was warm and stuffy. Bathroom was tiny with even smaller shower stall.
Other trip Oct 6, 2013
The hotel staff and especially the receptionist were extremely helpful, friendly and pleasent. We had a double ensuite on the 4th Floor. Very clean and plenty of towels provided. Our only complaint would be that there is no view from any window. Our room windows opened out onto the brick wall of the adjacent building. Also the noise from the air conditioning unit on the roof of level 1 below our window was very intrusive especially since the room we had did not have any air conditioning! This is a quaint boutique style hotel and is compact in every way. The location is very central and a stones throw from Chinatown and little Italy.
Other trip Oct 1, 2013
"Excellent choice"
This is our second time and we love the inn. The rooms are lovely and comfortable...the only drawback is the lack of air conditioning - honestly not normally a problem in SF, but this year was humid and warm the few days we were there.
Other trip Sep 23, 2013
p
"A great place to stay"
Stayed for 5 nights and enjoyed every one of them. The hotel and the staff are great. The rooms were extremely clean and well decorated. It is an older hotel but so much more personal than the large chains.
Other trip Sep 15, 2013
DrAin in sink wAs slow. Hotel could use some maintenance. Housekeeping missed one day. Excellent staff
Response by Inn At Union Square
Dear Guest, Thank you for your recent stay with us and we appreciate your feedback. We strive to provide every guest with an exceptional experience and comments such as yours help us improve our facility and services. We are sorry to hear there was an issue with your housekeeping service and the drain in your sink. We will certainly take appropriate action to rectify these issues. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our excellent staff and we look forward to welcoming you back when travels again return you to San Francisco. At your service, Norbert Mede General Manager Inn at Union Square
3 night business trip Aug 18, 2013
"A rocky start to a good stay"
We arrived at 5 pm on a Thursday. Bumper to bumper rush hour traffic and no place to park on street to check in. I'd recommend not arriving during rush hour! On our second long go around we found a loading zone, I rushed inside and was told the parking valet would be back in 10-15 minutes. Was I going to get a ticket where I'd parked, I asked. The clerk went outside and asked a driver to move his big black sedan forward. The hotel is next to Morton's Steakhouse which had a parking valet out front who won't let you park in their 'slot.' The hotel entrance is one car length wide. We finally parked in front of the hotel and from then on our stay was wonderful. After a quick check in our bags were handled and we went to a lovely wine tasting with a Napa vintner. A delightful surprise. The next day we didn't want to do the same old visit to Fisherman's Wharf and the front desk clerk told us about the Ferry Building. What a great suggestion. The one other problem we encountered was housekeeping didn't clean our room by the time we returned at 3 pm. We put in a request and they arrived in minutes. We then realized maintenance had switched out the old wooden coffee table and replaced it with a slick new glass top one.
Other trip Aug 12, 2013
"Nice close to city and cable cars."
We enjoy your supplied great wine and snacks. Thank you!
Other trip Aug 9, 2013
"Quick Trip to San Francisco"
The staff here are GREAT! Wayne and Ann and Omar were all so helpful and friendly. Great location, great charm.
Other trip Aug 5, 2013
"Perfect location"
A very sweet hotel very near Union Square. The rooms are a comfortable size with all amenities at hand. Breakfast is good and plentiful. The staff is very charming and helpful. It's a small hotel that is very appealing and quaint. I would definitely go back to it.
Other trip Aug 2, 2013
"Awesome hotel"
Inn at Union Square was wonderful, great location, superb staff.
Other trip Jul 29, 2013
MJ
"small hotel, convinience for shopping"
it is in the downtown, convenient for shopping. But the room and the stairs are not spacious. The breakfast is terrible.
Other trip Jul 24, 2013
sunny
Wonderful place to stay. Great access to everything, wonderful, super friendly and helpful staff, very good breakfast every morning, wine and appetizers every evening, service was phenomenal. My only complaint was the carpet in our room could have been cleaner but I've seen worse. However, new carpet was being installed in all the rooms the day we checked out so that should not be a problem any more! Thank you Inn at Union Square for making our stay so enjoyable!!
4 night romance trip Jun 22, 2013
Robbyn
"AWESOME!!!"
From the minute you arrive you are greeted with the best service ever! Not a single complaint! Complimentary wine tasting & freshly baked cookies! Omar at the service desk is beyond amazing and helpful! The inn keeper is extremely nice & definitely makes you feel welcome & right at home! Definitely staying here again & recommending to everyone!!!
Other trip Jun 24, 2013
Denise
"Nice place to stay."
Great time and location. Rooms and elevator were cozy but function able .
4 night trip Jun 16, 2013
Andy
"Charming, historical hotel"
This is a charming hotel located off Powell near Union Square. The hotel staff go out of their way to assure that the guests are comfortable and enjoy their stay. Although the rooms are a little small by American standards, the space in the rooms is well used. Rooms are located to minimize the intrusion of outdoor noise. Unlike the other places we read about, we were not bothered by noise from adjacent noise. As currently configured, however, when the doors from nearby rooms close this occurs as a loud slam. We brought this to the attention of the staff who said they would propose dampers be put on the doors. We thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to visit with other guests over evening wine and cheese and the morning breakfast.
Response by Inn At Union Square
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your recent visit to the Inn at Union Square and for sharing your comments. Feedback such as yours helps us improve our product and services. We will certainly look for a solution to the noise caused by doors closing. We are pleased you enjoyed our otherwise quiet guest rooms, helpful staff and convenient location. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon. At your service, Norbert Mede General Manager Inn at Union Square
Other trip Jun 13, 2013
Jerry
We had a wonderful experience at this hotel. It is in an older building but well kept. The hallways are narrow which felt a little confining to us and the elevator is tiny. Overall, we had a great experience. The staff were very helpful and the breakfast was delicious. We would stay here again. We arrived early and were able to get into our room. We were upgraded to the queen suite. We weren't sure we would like the suite since we had reserved a king bed. In the end, it was the better experience. There was a nice sitting room to the side which was a nice way to unwind after flying all day. We were not in the hotel at the time of the wine/cheese so we can't rate that experience. We took the BART from airport to Powell station. Then hauled our luggage to the hotel. We had the hotel mapped on our phones. Note to self...have roads memorized before starting off. Homeless people around the BART station were very happy to try and assist us. :) They were friendly and we didn't have any issues with them.
Other trip Jun 6, 2013
Brenda
"Cozy, friendly, B&B-like ambience!"
Very handy to everything! We particularly liked being near the theater district, Chinatown, shopping, and an amazing assortment of cafes and restaurants. Early check in made it extra easy for us. Especially enjoyed the happy hour refreshments!. Also the comfortable robes provided. Information would have been helpful at Hotels.com regarding valet parking available at the Inn and cost. I had to call to find out about parking. Food area needed another small table or a few more chairs. Staff or info in room could have mentioned the nearby visitor information booth at Union Square. The Inn was perfect for our anniversary celebration!
2 night romance trip Jun 2, 2013
"The Inn at Union Square - Boutique Surprise"
We were pleasantly surprised by this boutique inn only a half block off Union Square. The service was outstanding and guests are greeted with freshly baked cookies each evening. It is only a short walking distance to all major transportation modes including the cable car, BART, and MUNI rail. Abundant shopping and dining opportunities within minutes by foot. We would highly recommend this accommodation and plan to return.
3 night business trip May 28, 2013
Dave U
"I'm definitely staying here again!"
I purposely picked a hotel that was a 4 min. walk to Urban Outfitters. The location of the hotel is just awesome! The hotel has a European feel to it and is quite charming. We stayed in the junior suite which was pretty swanky. They do not have refrigerators in the room, but they do have a communal one in every floor. I LOVED the wine and cheese spread they had for us from 5p-7p and they serve breakfast every morning as well. I wouldn't recommend their valet service because it's $35/per day and they take anywhere from 30-40 mins to get your car..crazy. There's a parking lot just around the corner where you can park for $24/day. I enjoyed my stay here..would definitely book this place again!
Response by Inn At Union Square
Dear Guest, Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent visit to the Inn at Union Square. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast, wine hour and our "awesome" location just off Union Square. Choosing to return to a hotel after a great experience is our ultimate compliment and for that we thank you. Looking forward to welcoming you back when travel once again brings you to San Francisco At your service, Norbert Mede General Manager Inn at Union Square
1 night trip May 26, 2013
"Personal attention"
Wonderful hotel in great location. Has the feel of being at a B and B Staff is phenomenal Rooms a bit small with no A/C (ok in May), and view of a wall. I would definitely go back!
Response by Inn At Union Square
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Inn at Union Square and for sharing your comments. Our staff takes great pride in providing each guest with personal service and appreciative of the feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our convenient location just off Union Square as well as our complimentary wine hour. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. At your service, Norbert Mede General Manager Inn at Union Square
Other trip May 19, 2013
peter
The staff couldn't have been moe accommodating! The breakfasts were well supplied with nice choices and I enjoyed the wine & cheese afternoons as well. And the cookoies and coffee were an added fabulous little surprize!
2 night business trip May 5, 2013
NS
"Mother& daughter night"
I normally staying at least 4 starts hotel but this time me and my daughter plan just staying over night in the city after shopping and see the show. we just pick up the closer hotel in union square. So happy we staying in this cute inn since first we check in received ANN the pretty girl in the front desk warm welcome till we check out all the way treat us like first class customers. It's really worth having 4 seasons service but only paying half price.
Other trip Apr 20, 2013
"A small hidden jewel at Union Square"
I stayed here 25 years ago and again this past weekend. I somehow booked it the first time before the Internet. A small place that is quiet because only a couple of rooms have a view, the rest have no street view and no noise. If you're in the City, you don't care about the view. Enjoy.
Response by Inn At Union Square
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for sharing your comments regarding you recent stay at the Inn at Union Square. We are so pleased you enjoyed our quaint Inn in the heart of San Francisco and hope to welcome you back soon; sooner the another 25 years for sure. Kind Regards and Safe Travels, Norbert Mede General Manager General Manager
2 night trip Apr 13, 2013
"A Little Gem"
A small intimate hotel. The staff is, very friendly and eager to please. It is located right in the middle of a beautiful urban area. It provides a great complementary breakfast and wine. It's expensive but worth it! I await an opportunity to return.
Other trip Apr 13, 2013
"An unexpected pleasure"
I booked this hotel based on the reviews and couldn't have been more pleased with our stay. It was everything the reviews raved about and more. The Inn has a very European feel: Friendly staff, cozy, great charm, clean. The cheese and wine reception was very nicely done, the evening chocolate chip cookies were an absolute treat, and the complimentary breakfast was a very nice spread. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely return to the Inn at Union Square. LOVED IT!
Response by Inn At Union Square
Dear Guest, Thank you for much for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Inn at Union Square in San Francisco. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we are pleased you enjoyed our convenient and central location, complimentary wine hour and breakfast. Oh yes, and the cookies….. Our friendly staff awaits your return which we hope will be soon. Kind Regards and Safe Travels, Norbert Mede General Manager Inn at Union Square
Other trip Apr 2, 2013
"Love the service!"
We had a great stay with exceptional service by everyone at the Inn.
Other trip Mar 28, 2013
"mother / daughter trip"
our room was #302 near elevator and 3rd floor breakfast room. good news was that t was close to lovely continental breakfast as well as the wine and hors d'oeuvres spread in the evening....bad news was that along with the proximity came the accompanying noises. our window was open for fresh air and that also brought in the sound of dishes from the kitchen that opened to the alleyway . the daytime girl at the front desk was lovely , accommodating and friendly. The halls are long and narrow so next time I would request one either in the middle of the floor or on a floor did not have the food service......and yes , I would stay there again! my daughter and I were on a girls trip and shared a king room. the room was tight for 2 people but bath was immaculate and bed comfortable....you don't go to san francisco to stay in the room!
Response by Inn At Union Square
Dear Guests, Thank you for posting your feedback and for staying at the Inn at Union Square. It was a pleasure to have you as our guests and we are pleased you found the service and amenities to your liking. I apologize for the noise that disturbed you as we take the feedback to heart and we do what we can to mitigate the issue. We look forward to your return in the not too distant future.. Kind Regards and Safe Travels, Norbert Mede General Manager Inn at Union Square
Other trip Mar 22, 2013
GG
"Elegant and personal boutique hotel"
We loved our home away from home in this delightful small hotel. From the morning pastries to the evening wine and cheese, we felt pampered. We also met interesting guests in the small gatherings. The location is in the midst of many tempting stores and restaurants.
Response by Inn At Union Square
Dear Guest, Thank you for your visit to the Inn at Union Square and for sharing your comments. We are very pleased you enjoyed our central location, complimentary breakfast and evening wine and cheese gatherings. Our staff takes great pride in pampering our guests and look forward to your return Kind Regards and Safe Travels, Norbert Mede General Manager Inn at Union Square
6 night trip Mar 3, 2013
Meredith
"Loved the Inn!"
Lovely small inn, right around the corner from the St. Francis and the Sir Francis Drake, a few steps off the cable car line, easy access to public trans, great restaurants nearby. Friendly service at the inn, free continental breakfast, in-room Wifi, daily paper, wine and cheese every evening. We live near San Francisco, but nevertheless loved our delightful getaway for couple of days here and recommend the Inn at Union Square heartily!
2 night romance trip Feb 20, 2013
BZ
"Happy and I know it !"
The breakfast is outstanding 4hrs.,wine cheese 3hrs. And warm cookies before bed! Am I on a cruise? No the room is to big . Decorated just right. Wayne and staff a delight. Great location,pretty quite. Roger and Christie
Response by Inn At Union Square
Dear Guest, Thank you for visiting the Inn at Union Square and for sharing your feedback. We are so pleased you enjoyed our excellent location just off Union Square, our breakfast and evening wine and cheese offerings. We are glad you got to have some fresh baked cookies before retiring for the night as well. Wayne and the rest of the staff appreciate you staying with us and look forward to your return Kind Regards and Safe Travels, Norbert Mede General Manager Inn at Union Square
Other trip Feb 19, 2013