All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
524 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA, 94102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Close to stores, restaurants, attractions"
Good place to stay if not in room much (rooms are very small)
Other trip Mar 4, 2015
Kellt
"this hotel feels like home."
best hotel for the price. Staff most helpful and friendly.
3 night family trip Feb 25, 2015
judy
This is an older hotel (like most in the area), but well-kept. Rooms were clean. Bathroom was a tad bit small, but I stayed only for 2 days, so it was no bother. Great location! Within walking distance to Powell St and Market St. Would stay here again.
2 night trip Feb 22, 2015
aliah
"feels like home"
very hayyp
11 night family trip Feb 12, 2015
judy
"★★★★★"
Staying at Cartwright Hotel was one of the amazing memories I made in San Fransisco. It was my first time I traveled alone and was first very nervous but the hotel let me stay safe and enjoy my trip. The room was clean and comfortable. Hotel staffs were nice. Thank you for everything!
2 night trip Feb 20, 2015
"It was not the experience that I expected"
It was not the experience that I expected in a small hotel. The front desk staff was wonderful but the room was very small (not like the photos). The hotel was very old which and the decorators did a great job to make it look nice when you looked closer it was a different story. Our bathroom was like an after thought. I am assuming at one time there might have been a small pedestal sink but it was replaced with a tiny wood cabinet with a heating duct running though it. It covered maybe 3 feet of the tub and you had to crawl around it to get into the shower. Parts of the tile on part of the wall had been replaced by a sheet of heavy plastic but parts were still there to remind you that it used to be nicer. The painted trim in our room as well as all over the hotel was just covered by many layers of paint. The biggest disappointment was that the walls were so thin that you could hear everyone walking down the hall as well as their conversations! We were woken up at 2am 4am & 6am by the activities (all night) in the room next door. Even the maids talking to each other at 8am sounded like they were in our room! We were assaulted with their conversations in the hall every morning. Oh, and vacuuming in the mezzanine at 11:30pm! Needless to say neither one of us received any sleep for the 2 nights that we were there. It's too bad. The place could be very cute and quaint.
Other trip Feb 26, 2015
Jen
"Traditional SF-style hotel in the perfect location"
Just a couple blocks from Grace Cathedral, Nob Hill, Union Square, and transportation to the rest of SF. Get you Muni pass and ride either cable car (or a bus) to the wharf and Presidio beach walk.
Other trip Feb 25, 2015
"Great location."
It was a nice experience. Very clean. Staff was great.
Other trip Feb 21, 2015
Terrible experience specially front desk. Check in use an hour no reason. Bad service.
Other trip Feb 20, 2015
Edward
"Comfort in a historic hotel"
I love the Cartwright hotel for several reasons. It was affordable. The staff was always very helpful. The location is convenient in that everything from dining 24/7 to shopping options that are endless to the easy access to the fun and historic cable cars. I have to emphasize the numerous restaurants of myriad cuisine styles within walking distance of the hotel.
Other trip Feb 19, 2015
San Fran lover
"Good hotel for the price!"
Everything was enjoyable except the maid knocking on our door Sunday morning at 9:30 wanting to clean our room! :( Front desk staff wonderful!
1 night trip with friends Feb 14, 2015
"A solid place to crash, but not much else"
My fiance and I spent 3 nights here. We were in town to check out SF because we're considering a move out here. Pros: - Central location for exploring SF. - Amenities very close by (bike rentals, convenience stores, chain stores). - Excellent, professional staff. Cons: - Very small room and bathroom (but big closet, weird). - No A/C, so our room was very hot and stuffy. Ceiling fan helped but not enough. - No fridge in room, so couldn't stock up on food or keep water cold. - Frumpy decor. Tips: - Rent bikes from nearby Blazing Saddles. Ask the hotel for a 10% off coupon. - Avoid the Tenderloin!
Kate
"Convenient location, nice overall"
This is downtown SF so one really cannot expect grand spaciousness. The room was big enough to be comfortable, clean, and the tub was great for soaking. Sounds and smells from the city did penetrate, and heat seemed to blare, but really nothing major, especially considering price and location. Felt safe for walking, and plenty of everything to do only steps away. Good business stay spot.
Other trip Feb 11, 2015
Andrea
"Nice Boutique Hotel"
Nice older hotel near Union Square for a fraction of the price of the big national chains. Rooms are smaller, but more than enough room. Its a bit noisy on the trolly line, but a fan and ear plugs drowned it out. Friendly staff, and good location for those needing to be around Market Street. I would stay again.
2 night business trip Feb 4, 2015
Shay
"I was awoken in the night by a loud music"
There was a room below me that played music loud started at 2am lasted until 5 The staff was rude and said I should have called during the night. I figured someone would have called because I was in bed with pillow over my head. The lady was very rude. I had a reservation for another night and left discussted
Other trip Feb 9, 2015
jackie
"It's cheap and not terrible."
It's cheap and not terrible. Pretty rundown, though. I couldn't even find a public garbage can on my floor. Interior reminds me of old city apartments built in 1930s which are labelled as "rehab" but sure aren't. But you're okay with it because it's cheap and in the right neighborhood. I tried to print out my boarding pass on their old Windows XP computers. It took 20 minutes because the computer wasn't turned on, and then it was horrendously, horrendously slow, probably because they're running IE5 or something. Then it didn't work anyway because it couldn't contact the printer. Also, my neighbor smoked a lot. It stunk.
Other trip Feb 8, 2015
NB
Very personable staff, allowed early check-in. Staff we very helpful with extending my stay and making changes to the reservation originally booked through Expedia.
Other trip Feb 8, 2015
"Great location one night stay"
One night stay for visiting friends. Great location for visitors to San Francisco and I would recommend it for that purpose. The room was fine but non-descript. Window looked out into an interior light well with another building 30 feet away. Reception staff a bit grumpy about working later than their quitting time. This is a standard travel hotel for San Francisco but don't expect frills. I would stay again as long as I weren't trying to impress anyone.
1 night trip with friends Feb 4, 2015
"Old, simple hotel"
Quite a dilapidated building, no air conditioning, the heater could not be turned off, and opening the windows in impractical because of the street noise. WiFi was stable but slow. An OK hotel for a one-night stay, would not recommend it for any longer stay.
1 night business trip Feb 4, 2015
"Great Value"
A good clean hotel with great value in a central location in the heart of San Francisco
"Nice but small"
super cute, except not very fitting for tall people!
Jen
"Great location Clean & Nice"
This hotel is 1 1/2 blocks from Union Square. Rooms are small similar to European B&B, doubles are 2 single size beds. Bathroom was small but very clean and nicely appointed, nice bath products. Staff were nice polite and helpful but not warm and friendly. I got a GREAT deal on the price for the room was I was very pleased with that. Cost of parking was HIGH. Only problem was the room was very hot, no way to control heat. Windows did open a bit so that helped. I have stayed at many of the hotels around the Union Square area and this one is a keeper for the right price.
nlgay53
"Great location but typical downtown San Framcisco"
Rooms are postage stamp size, no AC, so open the window and prepare for high noise levels.
Other trip Feb 5, 2015
Doug
"Excellent Hotel location and Staff Services"
Super services from Hotel Staff , they are really friendly and very helpful
Other trip Feb 3, 2015
Erry
"Weekend Getaway"
While the room and bathroom are small, the location and conditions couldn't been better. The room provided everything we needed for a comfortable weekend stay and the location was ideal. It's literally two blocks from the Chinatown entrance, and Union Square is three blocks up. Would stay again--especially for the price.
2 night trip with friends Jan 30, 2015
"Affordable hotel in great location"
The Cartwright is an affordable hotel that is very close to Union Square. It is an old building, so the rooms are quite small. But despite their size, they have everything you would need and are comfortable. We were able to fit my daughter's pack n play next to the bed no problem. The room was very clean. There was some street noise, but again it is an old building with old windows. The staff was nice and helpful. We had no problems during our stay. We opted to park at the Sutter/Stockton parking garage instead of using the hotel parking. It was very close and cheaper. Would recommend.
Other trip Feb 3, 2015
Kristin
"Excellent staff, perfect location, good room"
I recently stayed here and the staff were impeccable! Front desk super nice, concierge, I cannot say enough nice things about the gentleman. He was extremely helpful in every aspect of my stay. I messed up my knee pretty badly on the plane into San Fransisco and they made my stay as painless(minus the physical pain) as possible.The room was smaller than normal but I get that space is at a premium in the city so it was no big deal considering I was staying solo. The bed was super comfortable, best sleep in a hotel possibly every and I have stayed in some nice hotels. Ample closet space and although the window faced a wall I didn't mind since police, ambulances, and screaming rowdy people are making noise all night. The only complaint I have is that the toilet is blocked by the wall for the shower so it is in a rather small corner cubby. Another plus is this is a pet friendly hotel and they offer treats in the lobby for your cats and dogs. Will definitely stay here again in the future.
Other trip Feb 2, 2015
Jenette
Great location, good price.. Walking distance to many things, improv theater directly across the street, union square a block away.. $29 self parking price hard to beat. Very clean, super comfortable bed.. The bathroom was very small, but cute and clean.. would definitely stay here again. Apparently I need to write more, but have nothing else to say on the matter. I went with one of my friends and he doesn't drink, and it looked like I missed out on some fun looking bars near the hotel.. So, yeah.. That sucked
Other trip Feb 2, 2015
"very nice hotel, elegant yet a great value"
had to be in SF for seminar from morning to night, room was comfortable if small, but clean and staff was very accommodating. Will stay there again.
2 night business trip Jan 25, 2015
"Great first-time SF experience"
Very few frills to the room but clean, quiet and comfortable. Awesome staff and minutes away from most everything. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.
8 night business trip Jan 20, 2015
Corp Purch Card Misc
"Decent accommodations and a great location."
Rooms are small and could use some updating, but it was clean and comfortable. Location is excellent for shopping, galleries, etc.
Other trip Feb 1, 2015
Vicki
This was a great location with garage parking up and around the block with the choice of valet or self-park. Easy walk to China Town with a drug store, shops and restaurants along the way plus easy access to the cable car. The room was clean but this is a very old building so the room was a lot smaller then expected. We had to move a chair to one side of the bed for use as a nightstand and the bathroom was so tiny that it was amazing how they could fit all three necessities into that space. No room to bring in a toiletries bag and that is my only complaint. Staff was very nice and helpful plus the first floor has plenty of room to lounge in the lobby and a bar and sitting area with a fireplace behind the front desk. Two computers, free coffee, two other large rooms with tables for conferences or family gatherings and probably a lot more that I don't know about. All in all, it was a good choice for the money.
Other trip Feb 1, 2015
Little Pat
"Old and musty"
Check in was smooth. Room was quite small and smelled of cigarettes. Bath was cramped. Centrally located, but homeless are everywhere after dark.
Other trip Jan 31, 2015
"Historic charm and hospitality!"
We loved this hotel - historic charm and hospitality! The staff were so welcoming and sweet, and made sure our dog was as comfortable as we were. The building is old but you can tell it has been lovingly maintained; everything was clean and in good condition.
1 night trip with friends Jan 24, 2015
Jacqueline
Pleasant stay in older hotel with small But comfortable rooms. Helpful staff.
Other trip Jan 29, 2015
"Great place close to everything in the city."
Centrally located hotel. Able to walk to several places around the city. Access to public transportation and BART thus allowing you to basically go anywhere in the bay area.
Other trip Jan 29, 2015
Adventurous
Great location, older property needs updating.
3 night business trip Jan 14, 2015
"Nice, affordable hotel in Union Square, San Fran"
I loved the hotel. The size of the room and lack of a fitness center would be my only two complaints. But I know there are larger rooms available if I wanted to take my family there (I was there on business). And I WOULD feel totally comfortable taking my family there. It was within walking distance (mile or less) to China Town, the Financial District, Union Square and the Embarcadero. And compared to the large chains in the same area, it was a fraction of the cost.
Other trip Jan 27, 2015
"Horrible"
Pictures are not as described. Very very small!!!! Window view was a brick wall. Was not as described! Very disappointed.
Other trip Jan 27, 2015
"Glad I Chose This Hotel!"
I picked this hotel on Hotels.com based on the user reviews, despite a lower rating from Hotels.com and I'm glad I did. Located close to Market St and BART, this was a comfortable hotel to stay in for a two night business trip. I would return here again, even for a personal visit with my wife. If you stay here, hit up Sears Fine Foods for breakfast just a few feet away. Two nicely cared for historic places in one visit!
2 night business trip Jan 21, 2015
Barrett
Nice spot in a great location. Beware of the cheaper rooms with single beds though they are perfectly comfortable for just one person. Just don't expect to stretch out.
Other trip Jan 25, 2015
"Overall great for the price!"
Overall good experience. Hotel is in a good location near union square, close walk to sights, dining, shopping, and transportation. Room was clean. Small but decent. Hotel staff was very helpful and kind. It was a affordable hotel.
2 night romance trip Jan 17, 2015
Max
"Positive stay for 3 nights"
Comfortable hotel for brief stays.
3 night business trip Jan 19, 2015
"Great Service and Cleanliness"
I travel to San Francisco almost weekly. I choose to stay here first as a matter of value. However, the awesome staff and amazing cleanliness of the rooms keeps me coming back. Like all the older hotels around union square, the rooms are small. This makes room cleanliness even more important to me. The staff is always helpful with any request, and Edward at the front desk always makes me feel welcome when I arrive for check in.
2 night business trip Jan 20, 2015
"Exceptional Staff"
Frank, Moises and Tiah (?) were excellent and should be praised for being exceptional employees. They went out of their way to say hello and make everyone that came in that lobby feel welcomed. They even went out of their way to help me when I had an issue that occurred with my credit cards, DL, and cell phone were stolen. That's something I will never forget and do plan on staying there the next time I visit SF. Thank you again for everything. To your hotel and excellent staff I truly appreciate your help!!!
3 night trip Jan 16, 2015
arlind
"Great area!"
Was a great experience. Hotel was close to major stores and great bars. Clean. Only thing was cable was out for the weekend during the football game, so had to go to a bar and see game which was not cheap. And the lady at front desk was rude and disrespectful, saying women are better than men and "that if a mans head was not attached to their head they would lose it."
Other trip Jan 20, 2015
freshblaze
"Exactly what we needed"
Came here for my wife's birthday and we really enjoyed the hotel. Great price too. Clean room, friendly staff, and walking distance from Union Square, China Town, among other places we wanted to visit. We would stay here again.
1 night romance trip Jan 17, 2015
Very nice hotel on a budget. Great central location. Awesome staff.
Other trip Jan 19, 2015
"A day in The City."
Had a small, clean and comfortable queen bed room that was quiet, with absolutely no view but coffee making facilities in the room were a nice touch. Small is the operative word but no grumbles as we were a stroll from Union Square and only used the hotel for sleeping etc. Staff were very friendly and helpful, couldn't have asked for anything more in this price bracket in this location.
Other trip Jan 19, 2015
"Heat system is so LOUD!!"
The double bed room I stayed in was a perfect size for me. The only complaint I have is that the heater was an old fashioned heater that kept making these loud sounds when ever it went on. (Ex.crackling, and loud bangs on the metal grill) It was so loud it woke me up in the middle of the night and kept making loud sounds for about 20 minutes. I did not have a good rest because of it. The building is old so expect the rooms to be in a older condition: cracks on the ceilings,stale smell in the air, and the closet door would not stay shut. I am not sure I would stay here again unless they fix their heating system.
1 night business trip Jan 15, 2015