All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
524 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA, 94102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

Food is all right
    Poor vibe
    Room is not nice
    Uncomfortable
    Bad breakfast
  • Wellness
    Poor wellness & sports facilities
"Hotel close to everything!"
Although the staff was very nice and helpful, we were dissappointed we didn't get the kind of room we booked for months back. They tried to convince us they upgraded us to a swite. Yes, it was bigger but we wanted two beds (not a couch and a bed.) Also, the bathroom was for someone in a wheelchair and there was no lip on it so water got everywhere. The next night they put us in another room with a better bath/shower but it was a queen bed and not the 2 beds we booked for. Finally the third night we got the right room the rest of our stay was pleasant. Other than that, we loved the staff.
Other trip Jul 1, 2015
Judi
"Great Value, Close to Union Square"
Stayed at the Cartwright for three nights and enjoyed the proximity to Union Square, the free-wifi, and the friendly staff. The room was a good size for myself (a single traveler). Facilities all worked properly and were in decent condition. Some slight maintenance on the electric outlets to tighten the covers would be good. Other than that I have no complaints about the room, service, location, or price.
Other trip Jun 30, 2015
Old hotel with small rooms, but nicely renovated, clean with good downtown location close to shopping, restaurants, entertainment, attractions, and public transit (buses and cable cars). Many tour buses leave from Union Square just 2 blocks away. Chinatown is within easy walking distance.
5 night romance trip Jun 22, 2015
GERALD
The hotel was nothing like the photos that appeared on the Expedia site. The room was pitiful, and the bed quite soft. Very disappointing considering the price.
Other trip Jun 29, 2015
the room was very small.
2 night romance trip Mar 31, 2015
Janet
"Good priced hotel in heart of San Francisco"
Had a great experience overall. The Cartwright hotel isn't anything fancy with special amenities (nor do they try to sell themselves in that way). That said, knowing what you are paying for (a decent room, bathroom and great location) it is a great hotel. We stayed for 4 nights and it was conveniently located to everything! The staff were very helpful and courteous when I had any questions. Overall, it was a great stay and I would definitely stay there again next time I'm in SF!
Other trip Jun 23, 2015
Cam
The customer service was excellent. The room was small but adequate. The price was high based on the size of the room. The location was excellent being in the Union Square area.
4 night business trip Jun 15, 2015
Nice Hotel A little bit old though, the staff was nice and always help full
Other trip Jun 20, 2015
diego
"Great Hotel close in the middle of city"
You can reach everywhere in San Francisco by walk or public transportation if you stay here. Best price for rivals located in Union Sq. Rooms are very clean and you can find everything you need as a tourist.
Other trip Jun 4, 2015
Izzet
The staff was wonderful. The hotel is in a great location with quick and easy access to great food and shopping.
Other trip Jun 3, 2015
"Great location, but tiny"
Great location to shops and close to public transportation (trolley, cable cart) to the pier. However, picture of rooms were not representative of my room. Bathroom was very very very tiny. Little to no extra amenities. No fridge in the room.
Other trip May 31, 2015
NC21TP
"A Hotel with no sense of customer accommodation"
We booked this hotel based upon the reviews on Expedia. We had very specific, albeit not impossible, requests, i.e. two rooms with two beds in each room. When we arrived to check in (after moving our daughter from Southern California to theBay area), we were told that the hotel did not have our specific room requests and, if fact, they were out of two bed standard rooms. When advised that it was imperative that the room be as booked, the clerk stated that it was our obligation to call the hotel directly to make our requests (something we were not advised of). There was no attempt to accommodate us, nit even offered a room upgrade (at the same rate or higher), it was a take it or leave attitude. exacerbating the bad situation, I had arranged for a client to meet me art the hotel to discuss increasing our business relationship. When he arrived and found no bar/lounge to meet in, he left in a huff.
Other trip May 31, 2015
"Best location&Clean"
The location is really great and convenient, just two minutes' walk from the union square. Everything is good but the bed is too small if you order two beds in a room. The room is not large for the price but i can understand for such prosperous place. And the heating condition is noisy at night. Anyway it's really clean and good for travel.
2 night family trip May 22, 2015
"Great place in the middle of the city"
I stayed here in October 2014 for a conference for 3 days. Overall, it was very nice. The room was small but very pleasant. The bathroom was fantastic and very spacious. Overall, it had the feel of a well-maintained hotel from the early 20th century, which I personally really enjoyed. Next door to the hotel is a great diner which serves food all day, and you're only a few blocks away public transportation.
Other trip May 22, 2015
"Convenient"
Ok price for one night. A bit cold in the room. Else it was ok. Very close to everything. It did it's job and convenient for my short mission in town.
1 night trip May 16, 2015
Nikolas
"Enjoyable Stay"
This hotel was very enjoyable - clean, great staff and good location.
2 night family trip May 14, 2015
Judith
"Nice hotel in union Square."
Staff is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. The rooms are small but very comfortable. We were only there to sleep. The rooms as well as public areas, halls, and elevators are very clean and well maintained. Location is central to everything incl BART to Mission. Will stay there again.
Other trip May 18, 2015
Barb
"WILL RTURN!"
Was back in SFO for a family wedding plus visiting friends - location was great with lots of options within walking distance. Staff were friendly and helpful. Will return!
3 night family trip Apr 17, 2015
michael
Location is great but it's an old hotel. No bar or gym but reasonably priced, clean, and pretty ok for a short stay. Very nice staff.
Other trip May 15, 2015
R
"Great location near Union square."
Perfect location. We love to walk to restaurants and shopping. Take a walk to the pier if you like to run and are not use to the steep hills. Uber makes getting up the hill reasonable. Park and take bart save your money for the cab ride much more reasonable.
Other trip May 12, 2015
Moddairy
"Great location!"
Great location and overall very nice! The room is a bit small but clean and an attentive staff.
1 night business trip Apr 16, 2015
"Very comfortable accommodations, convenient"
Easy to access, nice staff, very clean and comfortable and quiet!
Other trip May 8, 2015
Jean
This is a good budget hotel experience - the staff was very nice and friendly. The rooms are small, with not much to look out from the window (another building). The bathroom was teeny, but I needed it for a night for work so it was totally fine. It was clean and the bed was pretty comfortable. It was pretty loud if anyone was in the hall (was woken up by someone shutting a door to a room in the hall), but overall it was fine. The staff again was great, so might stay here again if needed, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Great location close to union square.
Other trip May 7, 2015
TH
"a lot older than you think it is"
I guess at the price, I should have known better. not sure how this gets 4 stars from the guests but, this is defrinately not a repeater for me.
Other trip May 6, 2015
Global Trekker
"Try the Hotel Rex"
We must have gotten the worst room in the joint - I can't believe they would all be so dark and tiny. No bar or food. Service though, was extremely nice and handled an emergency situation of ours in a very accommodating fashion. Had to walk 100 ft. west to the Rex for a charming bar w/ food & nightly show in their cabaret. Didn't see the rooms there.
1 night romance trip May 2, 2015
Stacy
"We loved the location and the old world feel."
The staff were very accommodating and friendly. Restaurants and stores were all in walking distance. We really enjoyed ourselves and loved San Francisco.
Other trip May 5, 2015
"I'll recommend"
Everything was fine, friendly staff, it was very clean and - The Location was great, close to everything.
1 night family trip Apr 26, 2015
"Quaint, vintage hotel in central location"
The Cartwright is like a grande dame; she continues to carry herself as if she hasn't aged a day. We chose it because of the value and location and weren't disappointed in either. Staff attentiveness and knowledge of the sites, best way to get there and food options were bonuses. Also, it's an easy 20 min walk to the Ferry Building.
Other trip May 2, 2015
Cato
"Great service but showing its age."
Great location of you want to be close to union square / downtown, however the hotel is old and it shows. The staff was friendly and room was clean.
2 night business trip Apr 27, 2015
"close to Union Square, restaurants, etc."
Room was smaller than expected (considering the rate), but that seems to be on par with S.F. room rates these days. Room was clean, no bed bugs, bathroom was clean. Hotel is in an older building, so the rooms are not really modern, it does have some character that way, but it's ok. Wi-Fi worked fine. windows in my room didn't shut very well, so you can hear the noise from the street quite a bit, but on the 7th floor it wasn't too bad.
Other trip May 1, 2015
"Shabby for the price"
Hotel is fine, but is older and it shows - the rooms need a facelift badly. Pretty homely for the price.
1 night business trip Apr 24, 2015
"Great Place to Stay"
Staff is very courteous and helpful and hotel is in perfect location for one that works downtown.
Other trip Apr 22, 2015
Rachel`
"Nice Hotel Small Rooms Great Staff!!"
Greeted by a Nice Staff. I accidently booked for one night when I really needed two nights. The front desk man was very accomdating.
Other trip Apr 20, 2015
Christopher
"Extremely clean but extremely small"
I has a love-hate relationship eith this hotel. My first impression when I walked into the room was that it was going to be a horrible stay. The room was so tiny, hot, there was no air conditioning and I had a single bed. Then I walked in and the bathroom was double the size of the room. It was so clean and recently renovated that I just wanted to sleep in there. After a couple of hours I started to like it better, the room was very, very clean and the location was amazing so I recommend it. Just remember there is no air conditioning though, so depending on the weather you may want to consider somewhere else.
Other trip Apr 19, 2015
thais
"Decent hotel in need of maintenance"
The Cartwright is a nice little hotel near Union Square. The facilities are fairly dated and could do with a lot of refurbishing. The bathroom in my room was renovated, but the rest of the room was pretty worn down with old furniture, scratches in the paint and an old carpet. The internet is frightfully slow. The "business center" consists of an old computer with an outdated Microsoft platform and runs Microsoft Office 2003, which is way behind the times if you're going to advertise this as a business center. The staff is helpful and courteous and there does not appear to be too many additional fees.
Other trip Apr 19, 2015
"Excellent Service"
The service was exceptional! Everyone was so wonderful that I would book again, just based on that.
1 night romance trip Apr 13, 2015
This hotel is in a great location for exploring the city. The staff are friendly and welcoming. The rooms are pretty tight though. There is not much space and I didn't like sleeping on a twin mattress. The elevator is incredibly slow. We did experience a fire while we were there. A fire started in the basement and they had an up-to-date system for announcing the fire danger. It was very loud with a voice telling you how to evacuate. That was nice. Everyone got out safely. They put the small fire out quickly and let us go back to our rooms within 20 minutes. I was impressed with the lack of chaos from staff and guests. I was also impressed with how quickly the fire department arrived. I would go back just because of the location. Also, it is nice to have peace of mind about how professionally an organization can handle an emergency.
Other trip Apr 13, 2015
Leia
"In union square"
Hotel very small. Staff pretty dumb but nice. Charged my credit card over $600 for "incindentals" just in case we ordered room service, even though we paid for our room up front. The positive is that the hotel is in walking distance to a lot and they allow pets.
Other trip Apr 11, 2015
"Comfortable Hotel"
I was very pleased with the entire hotel. The staff were beyond understanding/comforting.
Other trip Apr 8, 2015
"Short stay"
Nice little hotel. Rooms are small but clean and adequate. Good bed. Staff is helpful, storing our luggage while we shopped prior to leaving. Close in area, no more homeless folks than anywhere else.
2 night trip with friends Mar 27, 2015
Walter
"Close to everything in the Union Square area."
Very friendly staff. Hotel is in the hub of everything in the Union Square area. Hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating and the housekeeping staff kept the area spotless. We requested a room in the back to avoid street noise but were woken several times at midnight and 4:00am as folks were coming back from their evening of fun. The hallway noise was very loud.
Other trip Apr 6, 2015
Ted
"pricey but great staff"
Nice hotel great staff a bit pricey for condition of the overall room.
2 night trip with friends Mar 26, 2015
"Convenient location"
The hotel has a pleasant look from the outside but the rooms are uncomfortably small. If you suffer from claustrophobia beware. I was also given a room facing the backside of another building that was disturbingly to close to our windows. Since the hotel is located a block from Union Square I barely spent time in the hotel. Overall i would recommend only if the price is right or if its a last choice.
Other trip Mar 31, 2015
angel
"Charming hotel, friendly and helpful staff."
We were there for 7 days, for a business trip. The location is very convenient. The room was small but clean and homey. We could have used an armchair rather the the desk chair which was the only chair in the room. But, overall it was a very nice place to stay.
Athena
noisy, room uncomfortable, horrible set up of shower, set at ~5 feet, not adjustable any higher
Other trip Mar 25, 2015
pabafree95
Good service, clean rooms. Parking was inconvenient and expensive. 40.00 a night is outrageous but that is expected in San Francisco,
Other trip Mar 24, 2015
Rachel`
"Lovely Hotel, Lovely Price"
Couldn't have been more charmed by this hotel! I found the smaller size of the room to be very cozy and thought it had a very European feel. The staff was incredibly kind and helpful, and the location very convenient. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again!
Other trip Mar 19, 2015
Danielle
"My personal experience."
This hotel definitely oversold the room. Photos were done in a nice room with some excellent photography. No air conditioning, only a fan. It was very loud during the night leaving the window open. The bathroom was super small. I would only recommend this room if you are one person staying alone. Way, way too small and very uncomfortable for my wife and I. On the flipside, the hotel staff was extremely nice and accommodating the entire stay.
3 night romance trip Mar 12, 2015
"Chinese New Year 2015"
Hotel was nice. Rooms were small in that turn of the 20th century style. Rooms are small but clean. We stayed on the 8th floor and there was a lot of street noise throughout the night. Fire trucks, ambulances, garbage trucks, the usual city sounds. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Parking is located around the corner and not operated by the hotel. The walk up Mason street to get the car is a challenge. The location is just off Union Square and within walking distance of Chinatown and the Cable Car route to Fisherman's Warf is at the corner.
1 night trip with friends Mar 7, 2015
"A good place to stay in SF"
Basically I only spend less than 10 hours for one night sleep. The room is quiet and clean except that I am waken up by one strange alarm in the morning. The location is convenient near union square.
Other trip Mar 6, 2015