All hotels in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
708 8th Avenue SW, Calgary, AB, T2P 1H2, Canada, ‏‎855-239-9225

"Nice and easy"
Nice and easy
1 night romance trip Aug 21, 2015
Convenient location. Room looked like it needs some renovating. Sheets had stale smokey odor. Great pressure in the shower.
1 night trip Jul 27, 2015
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone who is young and wants to enjoy Calgary. The hotel room was nothing like what I expected and from the pictures I saw online. It's located in sketch side of downtown and the AC didn't work in the room. I complained and nothing was done about it. Stay Away unless there are no options.
4 night business trip Jun 27, 2015
"Great location and friendly staff."
Arrived late at night and was exhausted. The staff were very helpful when I discovered that the a/c in my room was not working. They immediately transferred me to another room and gave me a voucher for a complimentary breakfast for the inconvenience. Overall, the staff were very helpful and friendly. The only drawback was that there was limited (valet) parking underground for a 15.00 a day fee, which, considering the low price of the room itself was well worth the extra cost. The hotel is quite dated but has lots of character. I would stay there again without hesitation.
1 night trip Jul 18, 2015
"Shabby Rooms, Cold Breakfast"
The room pictured online is bright and white and modern. Ours was dark and shabby and definitely had a 1970's vibe. It appears that the public spaces (lobby, halls) are in the process of renovation, but our room hadn't been upgraded in many years - peeling paint, chipped furniture, thin towels, lumpy pillows - all for a ridiculously high price since our 1-night stay was right in the middle of Calgary Stampede. The rooms were quiet, but ours faced an office building so lacked any privacy. A talented C&W duo was playing in the bar and it was loud and fun and the drinks were inexpensive, though the bar snacks were mundane (and mostly deep fried and greasy). The breakfast buffet featured the usual selection of bread, bacon, sausage and scrambled eggs, but everything was lukewarm to cold. When we advised the very busy staff, they piled the food on plates, took it in the back room to microwave it, and brought it back - I wonder how many times they have to do that during a shift. The 2 waitresses were so overworked that we had to ask several times for coffee refills, and I gave up on the idea of ordering ala carte from the menu. In general,the staff was friendly and accommodating, but the very high price, coupled with shabby surroundings and cold food, adds up to a very mediocre hotel experience.
1 night romance trip Jul 8, 2015
Jill
Parking and unloading sucked. The second night the pipes started making noise about every 10 seconds. When I called downstairs, they said to turn the heat up. It was already pretty hot. Once the temperature hit the thermostat temperature, the noise started again. Would not recommend it.
Response by Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown
Dear Mr. Douglas, I apologize regarding your recent disappointments with your stay with us. We are very proud of our guest experience at The Ramada Hotel Downtown Calgary and are sorry your expectations were not met. We do offer 24 hour valet service at the hotel for our guests convenience. We are currently looking at the noise issues and our engineering team is focusing on a resolution. Thank you for your comments and we invite you back next time you are in Calgary.
2 night family trip Jun 10, 2015
Douglas
"Room and hotel had an odor. Wireless connectivity"
The room had a moldy smell, that was stronger than the hotel's. Plumbing was leaky and broken. Wireless connectivity was close to dial up and required multiple re-authentication. Web conferences were not possible. The pub attached to the hotel served a limited menu and the food was average at best. Beer was cold, bar maid cordial. Breakfast buffet at $15 is over priced compared to what you may find at other hotels. Wait staff was great.
Other trip Mar 28, 2015
"A practical choice."
Stayed five daysfor medical appointments. Drug stores handy taxied at the door. Free downtown train service handy. Room service excellent. Food good. Staff cheerie. Hotel is old but still functions well.
3 night romance trip Feb 3, 2015
James C
"Cheap for downtown calgary."
Good night, had jacuzzi room on eight floor. Our view was a buisness building 20 feet away from our window. Warning that parking is 18$ a day.
1 night romance trip Nov 3, 2014
"Convenient"
Convenient location in downtown and the light rail.
2 night romance trip Oct 19, 2014
"Nice, quiet and clean hotel"
The room was quite except noise from people in an adjacent room. I requested a refrigerator and a microwave which were fulfilled. The hotel is located in the downtown and it was convenient for me to buy some food or liquor. Public bus stop to/from the airport is just one block away.
6 night business trip Oct 5, 2014
"If you want sleep this isn't the place for you."
Located next to an alley that's full of dumpsters. Garbage and delivery trucks slamming around all night, bars dumping bottles into dumpsters, you name it. Sleep under a bridge, its quieter.
5 night business trip Sep 28, 2014
John Konopa
"Good location but outdated!"
Rooms outdated
1 night business trip Sep 28, 2014
Sherilee
It could be an excellent hotel after revamping. It was disappointing compare to room rate.
Other trip Aug 2, 2014
"Great for the Stampede"
Great for the two nites we we to be in town. Very central to Stampede and local doings. Everything you would expect from a Ramada.
2 night family trip Jul 7, 2014
Easy access to downtown. Older hotel but nice. Very friendly staff.
Other trip Jul 14, 2014
"uncomfortable beds but very convenient location"
Ask for one of the rooms with a balcony overlooking the pool. The pool was decent and the room had great sunlight. The beds were a bit uncomfortable though because they were extremely soft. The hotel itself was in a great location, walking distance to pretty much anything to see in Calgary, and a block away from transportation.
3 night romance trip Jul 2, 2014
"It's an OK place"
Nice people, centrally located, clean, breakfast adequate but facility needs updating.
3 night family trip Jul 3, 2014
"Good location, excellent staff service, however"
We had reserved a room with two beds, but the hotel only had one regular double bed available. The bath room was small and out of date.
Other trip Jul 3, 2014
"Good downtown location."
The hotel was well located with easy access to the downtown area. The staff were very cordial and accommodating.
Other trip Jun 17, 2014
Older hotel with smaller rooms however the bed was comfortable and the rooms had nice large tv's. I had no issues with the wifi. The nightly bedtime chocolates and bottles of water was nice touch.
5 night business trip May 25, 2014
"Nice staff, old building"
Staff was friendly but the first day we arrived, one of the staff knocked on our door and before we could get it, knocked again and then proceeded to open the door which I found to be rude and very awkward. He wanted to offer us chocolate and ice which was nice but I don't think they should open the door. What if someone is in the bathroom and can't hear you knocking?! Other than that, everything was good. They could stand to do some new renovations to make the rooms look a bit more modern though.
2 night romance trip May 16, 2014
"Running and not running toilets..."
The toilet in my bathroom wasn't working properly. I notified the front desk at aprx 5:00 am, I was told that the issue would be taken care of during the day while I was out of my room. I proceeded to use the lobby restroom, which was terrible, not updated in any way, had a broken toilet seat.....yuck! Upon my return, late in the evening, after a business dinner, I found the issue had not been addressed. Requested that I be moved to another room, which I was. The second room had a toilet that kept running and dripping. Stayed there, just because... This room had a huge whirlpool tub in the bedroom and the tiniest bathroom, with a pathetic prefab shower. I am a small person, so I wonder how some large person could even use this shower? When you turned on the water, to warm it up, the water shot straight out of the shower door with no way of getting around the wet floor. I don't know how the maids are able to clean these without getting drenched. The shower heads were not adjustable, and the shower door scared me that it would break every time I opened it.
Other trip May 5, 2014
"Cheap, close, but gross"
I should not find the previous tenants used soap in the shower. I should not see it there after I mention to the front desk that the shower needs attention and explain the location of said used soap bar. Not hard it would seem yet I was ignored.
3 night trip Apr 14, 2014
"Excellent for Price"
Room was spacious, modern and clean. Hotel is adjacent to light rail making for easy transport around downtown area. Area around hotel is clean and well lit, I had no concerns walking back to hotel at night. Hotel restaurant provides good selection of mainstream fare (burgers, chicken strips, salads, etc.) and has well stocked bar. Excellent alternative to more expensive hotels in the downtown area.
4 night business trip Apr 9, 2014
"Good value for the price"
No major complaints. Reasonably priced accommodations and close to downtown stuff.
5 night business trip Apr 8, 2014
RCO
"Convenient cheaper option for downtown"
I highly recommend Ramada Calgary Downtown. The staff were friendly and helpful, the hotel and my room were clean and quiet. I stayed here while attending a conference at the Hyatt and Telus Conf. Center and the walk was lovely (down 8th/Stephen), felt safe (I am a woman and traveled alone), and offered plenty of restaurant & coffee shop options.
5 night business trip Apr 8, 2014
"Thin walls and funky smells"
Overall, I have mixed feelings about this hotel. On the one hand, the location is convenient and the rooms are clean and comfy. If I never had to leave the room, I'd be happy, but unfortunately, you have to pass through the lobby, which reeks of stale popcorn, cleaning fluid, and vomit. All week, we literally had to breathe through our scarves every time we passed through. The beds, although nice and comfortable, are narrow. The walls are thin--I discovered a friend was down the hall when I heard his voice clear as day from my room, and I was able to identify exactly which room he was in by following the sound. The pool is only open seasonally. The diner in the lobby is not the best. I had the eggs benedict for breakfast and it was pretty gross (tasteless, gelatinous hollandaise--in fairness, I don't know why I thought to order a bougie breakfast in a seedy looking place), my friend was also extremely underwhelmed with the hot breakfast buffet (weird lumpy dry eggs), so stick with the cold buffet. The lobby and diner decor is tacky--brown vinyl tablecloths and steel and vinyl chairs befitting a 1980s spaghetti dinner at the Moose Lodge. On the other hand, the hotel staff was very nice and helpful. So overall: good location, comfy rooms, good staff, thin walls, gross smells, bad food.
5 night trip Apr 8, 2014
KK
"good location, clean hotel, friendly staff"
Was here for a conference at the convention center. It was about a 15 minute walk, but also very easy access via the (free) train for days when heels were necessary. Nearby to many restaurants, bars, shops, etc. There was an outdoor pool that is open seasonally, but not when we were here in early April.
3 night business trip Apr 9, 2014
Marian
"Nice hotel within walking distance of Telus CC"
The hotel was clean and comfortable. The staff greeted you when arriving or departing but also seemed to regard us with suspicion or humor. They seemed to be judging us for our cold weather attire and seemed to stare us down when we entered and found something about us humorous (I guess our lack of experience with the cold). It was rather disconcerting and rude.
Other trip Apr 13, 2014
"Convenient and affordable"
The hotel is located close to downtown convention hotels and centers. For meetings at the Hyatt, there is a one mile walk, which takes about 20 minutes.The hotel is convenient to many excellent (but expensive) restaurants and coffee shops. Also, for those interested in shopping, there is a beautiful mall (complete with indoor forest and garden) and department store (The Hudson's Bay Company) just down the street within easy walking distance. The hotel is a bit older than others, but is well kept up, very comfortable, and clean. The hotel staff is friendly and extremely helpful. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The only blemish I could detect was spots of retouched plaster on the ceiling. Overall a great place to stay in downtown Calgary.
3 night business trip Apr 7, 2014
Olivine Phenocryst
"Big Name For Old Hotel"
It sounds fancy, looks fancy, but get inside and its mediocre. Needs a facelift and some proactive, enthusiastic staff--they're nice but numb. Internal security/safety is not the best: unlocked maintenance rooms, not enough signage, one-way locked doors (got locked out in the Canada cold in shorts and a T when trying to find the gym which was mislabled in the guest book).
2 night business trip Mar 27, 2014
"Not much of a suite"
I stayed in an "Executive Suite" which only came with a king size bed! I had nothing extra for the price! No Fridge, no microwave NOTHING,, still pondering where or what the executive suite part was!! The staff in the resturant could use a lesson on personal hygiene! Bed was comfortable though and front desk staff were nice.
2 night business trip Mar 23, 2014
Wheres the executive?
"Old and Tired"
This hotel is in need of a major renovation. The floor in my room was so stained I wouldn't walk without my shoes on. Furniture, with the exception of the bed, was pretty beat up. Bathroom was adequate but questionable. The room was very warm even with the heat turned off and there was no air conditioning. Maintenance cane but couldn't do anything. The gentleman told me I could probably switch rooms but they would be the same. Very limited parking and the front desk staff were unconcerned and unhelpful. My second Ramada on this trip and my last ever. They were both dismal!
2 night business trip Mar 17, 2014
"Nice to stay in Downtown"
Very good hotel to stay very close to Train transit & lots of restuarants near by...close to mall
Other trip Jan 20, 2014
We had a wonderful time and totally enjoyed the stay.
Other trip Jan 14, 2014
"Warm and cozy in Calgary!"
Great location in downtown and the hotel was clean, warm and had a great in-room heater!
Other trip Dec 12, 2013
Maria_SanDiego
"Convenient for downtown, CTrain etc"
Overall good value for money, food in restaurant was good but the staff were a little forgetful!
1 night trip with friends Oct 31, 2013
"Value for money"
Coming from a meeting in Vancouver, comparing Sheraton Hotel with Ramada I can assure you that it is a value for money proposition. The hotel is not so new or modern but it is centrally located in main downtown area.The room is not big but is o.k. provided with all basic amenities.Hygiene conditions are fine. A minor problem that occurred, was solved immediately from the friendly staff.They gave me a better room and I was absolutely satisfied.I recommend it because it is a good value for money!
Other trip Oct 8, 2013
Eri
Clean room, nice amenities. Nice to have a safe place to park in downtown.
Other trip Sep 21, 2013
MIchael
"Great for the price"
This hotel has the basic needs of a business traveler. It had free Wi-Fi, courteous staff, clean rooms, and great price.
Other trip Sep 14, 2013
"Great downtown location"
Just one overnight stay, and did not have to use my vehicle once
Other trip Sep 7, 2013
Anna
"Convenient to all downtown locations, very quiet"
The Ramada is slightly off of the main downtown area, but still only a few blocks away -- an easy walk. The staff is nice, the hotel is quiet, and the Expedia package price for my flight and the hotel was really good.
Other trip Aug 31, 2013
Claude
"nice hotel"
older facility and it is starting to show a little, restaurant food was fair, service was acceptable, convenient to city transit - getting to convention center, all staff very helpful and kind, We would stay again!
Other trip Aug 5, 2013
"only use it as a place to sleep alone"
Phone in our room didn't work, bathroom was so small that to close the door you had to wedge yourself to the side of the toilet. The whole place smells of old stale cigarette smoke. Linens were clean, though.
2 night family trip Jul 24, 2013
"Good Deal for business travel."
The Ramada is centrally located in Downtown Calgary. You can easily walk to most places and eateries. It is always clean and the staff is friendly and helpful. The restaurant staff is prompt, especially early in the morning when time is constrained. Overall, the hotel is a good value and seems to be well maintained.
Other trip Jun 6, 2013
Hugh
"If it is the only room available"
to hot in room, had to open a window, needs new wallpaper, colors need updating.
Other trip Apr 27, 2013
CCC
"Very disappointed"
Heating system makes horrible noise thru the night. Walls so thin I could hear next door tv at 3 AM. Room service messed up simple order. Poor customer service from front desk. No refrigerator or safe in room.
3 night trip Jan 14, 2013
Powers
"Overall good"
For the price was comfortable and walking distance to eateries and sites. Staff helpful in getting a tour setup in low season ( althogh did not happen as such) rented a car with staff assistance and garage parking available for duration of rental( for a fee)
Other trip Nov 26, 2012
"Meh - I've had better..."
Most important - room clean, quiet and bed comfortable. Sevice was above average. BUT - rooms very dated. Restaurant just so-so at best. AC was NOT responsive. NO HOT (or warm or tepid) WATER in the morning due to an inoperable boiler. Impacted my business schedule. I won't stay there again unless I have to.
1 night business trip Oct 15, 2012