All hotels in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
44 Spencer Street, Melbourne, VIC, 3000, Australia, ‏‎800-491-6126

"gross"
I actually killed a cockroach in my bed. good thing they screwed up my reservations and gave my 2 beds. the walls were gross, the toilet paper roll was clearly not new, no parking, 10am check out with a $10/hr charge until 1pm?
Other trip Feb 14, 2014
duece
"Not a very pleasant stay"
When I arrived the hotel garage was full so I had to spend an extra $63 to pay to park in a nearby garage which was filthy. They put me in an "under contruction" area that had an open skylight with puddles of rainwater everywhere.
Other trip Feb 8, 2014
Casey
"Cool room"
Cool, newly remodeled rooms. Location adjacent to train station and 10 - 20 min walk to anything. Shower had variable hot water, which may be part of the remodeling.
4 night family trip Jan 20, 2014
On site car parking well priced but inadequate numbers of spaces-nearby public carparks extremely expensive parked 2km away at reasonable rates.nearby shops fast food etc good. For a supposed non smoking hotel there was a very heavy smell of cigarette smoke in the hallways and in the room we had
Other trip Jan 15, 2014
On site car parking inadequate and nearby car parks extremely expensive For a non smoking hotel there was a heavy smell of cigarette smoke in the 4th floor corridors and room
Other trip Jan 15, 2014
I have stayed in youth hostels that were cleaner and cheaper than this. I stayed in a 'business room' i think it came up on the website as a superior double. There was nothing superior about this room. Old furniture and carpet, stained and looked dirty. Crusty white stains on the woolen blanket and left over black hair from the previous visitor was on the pillows. The shower was modern and clean but the shower head meant that you never got water all over you. The water was more like a light spray and didn't reach your feet. Horrendous for washing hair. The window in the room was blocked out with opaque frosting but not enough to block the light of the street lamp. Very old wooden bed that creaked and matching old matress that you sunk into. They charge $2 for leaving bags I never experienced this not being included in even a hostel price. The check in staff were friendly but this hotel is dirty and run down. Will not stay here again
Other trip Oct 17, 2013
"central location"
Hotel room was clean, bed was comfortable and we were all really happy with accomodation we chose.
1 night trip with friends Jul 11, 2013
"Godd location"
very good would recommmend to country friends, car park was a very tight squeeze and you should be able to book a parking spot however there is parking next door. Room was very clean and modern ammenities
1 night trip with friends Jun 22, 2013
Ann
Room was tiny and in poor repair with broken fixtures and non-functioning TV. Internet was available in the lobby for $6 per hour, but the service provider ("Net Kiosk") has terribly slow and unresponsive machines that were quite a ripoff for the money. Hotel staff claim to have contacted the Internet vendor, but such lousy service has no place in a modern travel environment, and should not be tolerated for any length of time. On the positive side, this hotel had the lowest rate in Melbourne, was right across the street from the main rail station ("Southern Cross"), and offered clean and quiet rooms. For a solo traveler it was a good value, but not appropriate for couples or family.
Other trip Apr 19, 2013
Staying in a budget single room I found the bathroom light and spacious which was really nice and the room cosy. The staff could have been a little more friendly and welcoming - they do their job but could do better. The cost for wifi is appalling so I went elsewhere otherwise very hand to Southern Cross station and great to go by foot or tram to other parts of city. Overall fine. I do think its pricey but again Melbourne is expensive as a city.
Other trip Nov 15, 2012

"Hotel condition' location and front desk reception"
Clean and comfortable room. The point of first contact,the front desk receptionists, are not friebdly and are not people's person. Good city location.
1 night business trip Aug 20, 2015
"Looking tired"
The room we stayed in was old and in desperate need of a paint. The lift was slow and inadequate. $50 for 2 days parking but was blocked in and at night needed staff to open which took 10 minutes. However for a night or 2 at the price was fine. Great location.
3 night family trip Aug 14, 2015
Darryl
"Big Slap for GSH. Great place to stay!"
We booked the hotel because the offer came up on line. I hadn't been in that region for decades and I was not expecting a real lot. But I was very pleasantly surprised with everything. The building the staff the room and the amenities. We will certainly book the hotel again. The room was spacious and the shower was piping hot! I give this hotel a gong.
1 night romance trip Aug 19, 2015
"Recommended to stay, strategic location."
stay for 3 nights at small double room.
3 night romance trip Aug 16, 2015
"Ok hotel you get what you pay for"
Room was ok the windows need to be double glazed to stop the noise from the street if you have street side. But would stay again if I got different room
1 night trip Aug 20, 2015
"WILL STAY AGAIN"
GREAT HOTEL
2 night trip with friends Aug 14, 2015
Karina
Someone too nocie,can not sleep is good
1 night romance trip Aug 9, 2015
Shu Chun
"Very average"
Ok as we got a special deal, but if had of paid full price would have been very dissatisfied
1 night romance trip Jul 12, 2015
Debbie
"Not a bad place to stay"
Our stay at the Great Southern was very pleasant. It is situated in a good spot, close to the venue where we had to work, with plenty of places close for something to eat. The staff were very friendly, but the wifi was a bit expensive. Parking was also a problem the first night we stayed, had to park 1km away from the hotel. It would be better if you could book a parking space when you book your room.
6 night business trip Jul 21, 2015
Brearne
"Will come again"
A getaway for one night Easy check in and out Central Railway so close Easy to get a meal close by Handy.well priced
1 night romance trip Aug 5, 2015
the room that i stayed was looked a little bit old
4 night trip with friends Jul 28, 2015
Tsz Ling
Pleasant staff & adequate room except shower was for a midget, door should open outwards. Noisy neighbourhood & some parts of hotel such as stairs need a makeover. My booking said I had a bath, but only shower available. Water supply shared with neighbouring rooms maybe as I would run out or hot or cold water temporarily.
2 night trip Jul 31, 2015
"Quiet, comfortable over nighter."
Brief overnighter while attending training. Room was nice, and quiet.
1 night business trip Jul 30, 2015
Leanne
"never again"
no no no
1 night family trip Jul 29, 2015
fulfilled all my needs..and was for only one night..very convenient to the railway station..
1 night trip Jul 27, 2015
Erin
"All you need without the $$$"
I highly recommend this hotel. Central, great rates, clean rooms and friendly staff. You'd be crazy not to.
1 night trip with friends Jul 23, 2015
troy
"New housekeeper needed"
Reception staff most friendly and helpful however stay was let down by appalling housekeeping - bathroom not cleaned and bed just had cover pulled up with bed not actually made - pity as the location was very convenient with lots of facilities within easy walking distance.
2 night family trip Jul 24, 2015
Anna
Very convenient for the football, close to trams and train, lots of eating places and pubs. Our room was comfortable and quiet.
2 night romance trip Jul 25, 2015
robert
"Melbourne weekend"
have stayed here often. Ideal location for a Melbourne visit. Clean and reasonable value for money.
2 night romance trip Jun 6, 2015
"Handy location"
Good sleep, great renovations, brilliant location for the limbo traveller
1 night family trip Jul 11, 2015
""Melbourne first timers""
Was perfect for our first trip to melbourne!
4 night romance trip Jul 19, 2015
"Weekend stay"
This hotel was ok for the price. Beds were comfortable, the air con didn't work and it's a bit of a hike to get to city centre. The hotel is close to the sky bus terminal.
1 night family trip Jul 17, 2015
"Basil Fawlty"
Ewen the foyer looks like a million dollars but when you go upstairs it 20 cents,lamp shade falling of aircon not working shower rose comes of in your hands security lift is not
2 night trip Jul 18, 2015
great location. unfortunately no car parks left when we got there, but we were given options and parked at crown, had tea and walked the lovely 5 minute walk back to the motel.
1 night family trip Jun 29, 2015
Tracey
"Convenient and comfortable"
Very happy with hotel staff - check in and out was quick and simple. Room needed a only a very little TLC - look closer at doorways and bathroom.
2 night business trip Jul 17, 2015
when I get inside the room, my phone cannot get signal, but when I go outside, it work!
1 night trip with friends Jul 17, 2015
Yiu Pan
"sporting weekend"
convenient location close to all . footy & Soccer , casino shops staff friendly
1 night romance trip Jul 11, 2015
"Low budget"
We phoned ahead to ask how to access the carpark but when we arrived 5 minutes later we were told it as full (could have told us on the phone). The person on reception mumbled a lot and it was hard to understand him. The room didn't feel clean and there were a lot of loose hairs stuck on the fluffy blanket from previous occupants. Don't think we will be back. $75 for 3 nights parking was steep (they found a space) and to be charged 1.1% to use a savings account with Eftpos was a surprise!
3 night family trip Jul 5, 2015
"Great location, very clean"
Location great, very clean no bells and whistles but I wasn't expecting them for what I paid. Only tip is don't stay in the rooms off the courtyard. The courtyard echoes immensely. I would stay there again but next time in the main building
1 night family trip Jul 3, 2015
Hotel is basic. Renovated rooms are small, but generally good value for money and the location is brilliant, close to all transport.
3 night trip Jun 29, 2015
The room I had this time was much larger than I had a month ago and I found it very comfortable. I was not keen on the hotel charging $2 a time to mind my bags as I arrived before check-in time and had to go straight to the football.
1 night trip with friends Jul 4, 2015
"quite an okay hotel for its price in Melbourne CBD"
For the price, this hotel is a super good value for money. The condition of the room is quite good, and ours was quite spacious (not sure of other rooms). The furniture is modern, and the amenities are complete. There's a bit of a drawback in terms of cleanliness though, like pieces of hair on my bed sheet, pillow cover and blanket (certainly not ours judging from the colours and the fact it's there since we came in). The hallway is built in a strange way, that all voices from random guests will just echo and I can hear every single word of what everyone says in the corridor from my room. Overall, I'm quite pleased with my stay, and won't complain much for the price.
1 night family trip Jul 6, 2015
"good stay"
Check out should be 11 am not 10 am and $2 baggage storeage should be free while check in and check out and looking around in the city...Overall it was good stay and value for ur monet
1 night trip Jul 3, 2015
darren
"A good budget stay"
A good budget hotel in the heart of Melbourne. I have stayed several times at the Great Southern.
1 night family trip May 27, 2015
Tiffany
"Another day...another awesome stay"
We always stay here when we need a night in the city. It is close to everything and we would recommend it completely for people staying in Melbourne
1 night romance trip Jun 28, 2015
Belinda
"Good nights sleep"
Very comfortable bit loud as the trams started in the morning as I was above spencer st. Great location to get anywhere by tram & easy walk to Collins st shopping. Staff were amazing. Nothing was too much trouble. Good size bath for me @ 5'9" & good shower
7 night family trip Jun 23, 2015
Lynn
NZ
"Nice, but...no view and smokey!"
Two day stay in Melbourne. We liked the area...close to everything but..Our room had no view except onto a courtyard where smokers gathered. Really, can smoking still be allowed on hotel grounds? It got into our rooms.
2 night romance trip Jun 26, 2015
chris
"Value for money"
They gave me upgraded room (1 bed room).
1 night business trip Jun 23, 2015
MINORU
"Good price and location"
Just stayed one night. Great location if needing airport bus or train. Room large but very dated. Foyer very nice, which is not often typical of the room you get. Overall, good for the price.
1 night romance trip Mar 9, 2015
chris
Room heater is not strong, ask for additional heater but hotel staff not helpful. There is a short flight of steps on level 6. Not convenient for travellers with heavy luggages
1 night trip with friends Jun 15, 2015