All hotels in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States of America
924 E Juneau Ave, Milwaukee, WI, 53202, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Stay elsewhere."
This place is a dump. The room smelled. The hallways were musty. The room was very small, and this was an upgraded room we received upon check-in. The shower, while having great water pressure, leaked everywhere from the showerhead. There was no refrigerator. The restaurant/bar was closed our entire stay.
2 night romance trip Aug 16, 2015
Wiliam
"Cost to value, this is a perfectly suitable place."
I was in town for the Irish Festival. Aster Hotel is just shy of 100 years old and contains a great number of touches that recall the 1920s. My room was impeccably clean. A high note is the older shower head which allows enough water pressure to fondly recall days of yore. On the downside there is no coffee shop and the bar/restaurant is closed most of the week [County Clare Pub is across the street and Einstein Bagels and Panara are within walking distance at Ogden and Van Buren]. The Yankee Hill neighborhood is a truly lovely walk.
6 night trip with friends Aug 10, 2015
Abigail
"Astor Stay"
Cool old hotel. It would be nice if they had quieter air conditioners that worked better.
2 night business trip Aug 5, 2015
Carl
"Astor hotel stay"
Funky old hotel is combination of hotel rooms, extended stay and long term living accommodation. Rooms are acceptable, main hotel is old and worn. Would not recommend to business travelers.
3 night business trip Aug 4, 2015
Roger
"Milwaukee Germanfest Stay"
Very nice older hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful; The front desk staff, restaurant and bar servers were excellent and friendly. A few minor concerns: On the day before we left, our room was not made up until we asked the front desk to contact maid service to do so (late afternoon around 5 pm); We weren't informed that the shuttle did not run on Sunday's. We stayed 6 days/5 nights and it seemed like the room had not been vacuumed at all. And the only storage space in room for clothes, other than hanging clothes was above the hangers and the 2 bed end tables. A suggestion to possibly install ceiling fans or include room fans because when the window A/C wasn't being used, (which was noisy), the room got very warm (in summer of course). But overall, we enjoyed our stay in this hotel and Milwaukee.
5 night romance trip Jul 23, 2015
Jeffrey
"Quirky fun"
Here's the thing--I LOVED the Astor. What a lot of personality! However, if you're a princess and the pea type, you're going to hate it big. It's a regal old hotel that is part residential, in a residential neighborhood right off the lake, a short walk to the art museum. Great location, I think. It's best days are behind it and hey, with a good renovation, maybe in front of it as well. Right now, it's pretty tired. But if you like character, if you like quirky--you found it! Stained glass skylights, classical details in the lobby, and places to relax. It's got a fun restaurant on the first floor in a French gay-90's decor (the 1890s may in fact be the last time the whole place was remodeled) that served a great breakfast (we were the only ones there, sadly!). The rooms seemed clean and the view great. Felt completely safe and the neighborhood walkable. Bottom line, I would stay there again. I'll take personality over one more cookie-cutter conference hotel anytime.
1 night romance trip Jul 23, 2015
william
"Okay for just a bed to sleep in"
We stayed here on the way back from the UP. It was fine for just a bed to sleep in, but it was a tiny room - no fridge and the ice machine was out of order. We woke up to workers outside of our window, cleaning and repainting before 8am… the front desk had not mentioned this and it was not pleasant to wake up to the pounding. The AC was a window unit and was very loud - this helped to drown out the noise coming from other rooms, but if you're a light sleeper, good luck. We front desk staff when we checked in was pleasant, but short. The one in the AM was very nice and helpful.
1 night romance trip Jul 20, 2015
"Worth a try"
Very well situated, close to downtown and the lake and just ten minutes to the art museum, this is an older hotel on the national register of historic places. It's quirky and admittedly a bit dingy in the lobby and hallways, but the room was fine and the staff friendly and helpful. If you're like me and prefer distinctive places rather than chain hotels, this is a fine place.
3 night trip Jul 16, 2015
"can't complain"
Nice for what it is.older hotel with charm good location ,close to downtown
1 night trip with friends Jul 11, 2015
Jose
"Historic property in quiet but convenient location"
Thanks to hotels.com, I got a great deal on a room at the Astor Hotel during Summerfest, the busiest time of year for Milwaukee hotels, especially those near the festival site. Although the Astor is within walking distance of the lakefront festival grounds (and other attractions like the Milwaukee Art Museum), it is in a quiet and mostly residential neighborhood adjacent to the east side of downtown (and close to the now-somewhat-trendy Brady Street and North Point areas). The hotel building is a bit dated, not only in the rooms but more so in the lobby area, and this may be because many units are rented out as apartments, making a typical hotel renovation difficult. However, the property is clean and well maintained, and the staff provides excellent service. One caution: The shuttle van has limited hours, so be sure to confirm its availability in advance with the front desk (not the toll-free line). Local bus service is actually quite convenient, but my stay happened to coincide with a very rare transit strike (obviously beyond the hotel's control), so if you arrive by air or train, research your options ahead of time. Still, I would gladly stay at this hotel again, especially during summer festivals.
5 night trip Jun 30, 2015
"Another great Summer Fest"
Stayed at this hotel many times and it's still my favorite. Reasonable, nice staff, great location. Awesome water pressure is always a plus.
2 night romance trip Jul 2, 2015
"Astor awesome.."
Great surprise...Superb customer service from Kevin..Joe and everyone else..location the very best..
1 night romance trip Jun 23, 2015
Jerry
"Summerfest stay"
A great stay as usual. The staff is so friendly and very helpful. The Summerfest shuttle service is great. We stay at the Astor every year when we visit Summerfest. It is perfect.
1 night romance trip Jun 25, 2015
The Astor Hotel has always held a special bond with me as I was once a resident in their apartments. They do a decent job in preserving the historical charm and primarily cater to weddings and long-term guests. While the rooms were okay, a small refrigerator would have been nice. The service was so/so and accommodated our basic needs and questions. Sadly, they are not as friendly as I originally remember. The hotel is located in the Lower East Side neighborhood which is full of tree-lined strees with access to the lakefront, downtown, and the Brady Street area. Perfect for a long-term guest or a guest who will not be spending much time in their room. Cheers!
2 night trip with friends Jun 24, 2015
Christopher
The only large negative I found was that the bed was not comfortable...
1 night romance trip Apr 18, 2015
"Experience Historic Charm at the Astor"
We like to stay at the Astor. We love the historic charm and the location. If you like large modern bathrooms, this is not the place for you. If you love older architecture and ambiance, you will love it. It is always clean and the beds are very comfortable. Plus, they offer a shuttle that will take you and pick you up until midnight which is really handy.
1 night romance trip Jun 23, 2015
"Youth Hostel / College Apartment"
Historic hotel needs a facelift. Atmosphere of a youth hostel / college apt or dorm with young folks partying through the night. Shower backed up and hallways smelled. Mega years past our college days so We cut our stay after one night. Located in convenient and beautiful part of town. If your young on a budget- probably a good place to stay.
2 night romance trip Jun 19, 2015
"Stuffy, musty, outdated. We will not be back."
The location is divine, the lobby is lovely, and then wah wah, you get off the elevator on your floor and are greeted by a stuffy, musty smell. There's gross, old, cracked duct tape on the doesn't-open window. So you have to turn on the a/c. There's only a nightstand on 1 side of the bed, there are hardly any outlets in the room, the carpet is dingy and threadbare, and there is not even a customary 'welcome to the Astor' brochure. And then you go into the pepto-pink tiled bathroom, which you have to step up into (watch out for THAT in the middle of the night, and then don't bang into the small table from the closet your boyfriend has had to move close to his side of the bed). This place is old school and long overdue for updating. Also, while the check-in clerk was pleasant, he a) only told me about the shuttle the hotel offers to nearby locations when I asked about how to get to the Summerfest grounds that night; and, more seriously, b) he announced my room number out loud when there was another guy standing at the check-in counter next to me; and c) he asked me my phone number and license plate number from the computer several feet away from the check-in counter, forcing me to say them loudly enough that, again, the guy next to me at the check-in counter could hear it all. As far as this clerk knew, I was checking in alone. Making women (or any guests) reveal this kind of information - and revealing their room number out loud - is a huge safety problem.
1 night romance trip Jun 13, 2015
Victoria
"Nice hotel at a fair price"
Room was good sized for a city site. Charming, but not gaudy. Chincy linens, but all worked well.
2 night romance trip Jun 4, 2015
"Above average hotel."
Noisy people until 2:00 in the morning on Friday and Saturday. Had to pay a additional $10.00 a night to park in the hotel parking lot. I requested three things to be fixed in the bathroombathroom. Only two things were fixed.
Other trip May 21, 2015
"Good not great"
The staff is the highlight of this hotel. I have stayed multiple times and have been recognized by the staff and offeredfree room upgrades. The second best part of this is the parking. it's not that expensive and is convienetly located. The only bad part is the rooms are not that quit. I can hear people talking in the halls and that isn;t great at 3:00 am in the morning.
Other trip May 14, 2015
Rob
"nice place to stay at a reasonable rate"
A nice place to stay, the price was very reasonable, location was awesome. Our room had the WORST shower I have ever used in a hotel. I almost wonder if some of the rooms have been updated and some have not, ours was not, giving it an old charm which was very nice except for the shower, a total disgrace.
2 night romance trip Apr 12, 2015
mark
"Just okay with issues."
Overall nice place. Wireless was in and out in my room. No running water in the morning for shower/toilet or brushing teeth. Reception said there should have been a 12h prior notice been given, that might had been the case for permanent residents but it was a rather unwelcome surprise for a single night stay.
1 night business trip May 4, 2015
Mario
Carrying around a key and keycard can be annoying. The hot water took about 30 minutes to get not freezing. It's an additional $10 for parking
Other trip May 1, 2015
"Nice view of the lake."
We had the view of the lake from the room and the lake, restaurants and entertainment was within walking distance.
Other trip May 1, 2015
"Old hotel, but very clean."
We stayed for a night and it was just what we were looking for. Clean, comfortable, nice hotel staff. Also, they shipped an item we left right away and were so thankful!
Other trip Apr 29, 2015
"Charming hotel"
This hotel was within walking distance to restaurants, bars, and parks. The staff, guests, and residents were incredibly warm and friendly. The rooms don't offer much for air flow and walls are a bit thin, but the view and location make up for it. Overall, I would stay here again.
Other trip Apr 17, 2015
K
"Great staff. Not so great hotel."
The employees are professional, courteous and quick to remedy any issue. The front desk even upgraded me to a room with a view of the city. My room was clean enough but the building has its historic charm. The hotel walls are thin and I thought someone's TV was very loud but it turned out my room was near someone who was upset and yelling at someone else for more than an hour. After calling the front desk, the "neighbor" spent another long while venting. I was not well rested for my interview the next morning and hope everything is all right between the folks who were in that room.
Other trip Apr 16, 2015
Jane
"Overnight at the Astor"
It was a bit warm in the room but once we figured out to shut off boiler, open windows (1 out of 3) has screens, and open door vent - we were good. Cute older but very well maintained room. Hotel bar was nice but drinks extremely expensive at $8 high ball.
1 night family trip Apr 11, 2015
Nice place to stay for how much it costs. Rooms are decent. Staff is nice. Parking isn't that expensive.
Other trip Apr 10, 2015
Rob
"Old hotel and it shows"
In town for one night for business, booked here as the location was close to my work. I normally like a place with some history but this hotel was badly in need of some TLC. Weird smell throughout the building, paper thin walls allowed me to hear everything going on in the next room, water pressure was abysmal. Will not be returning.
1 night business trip Mar 18, 2015
We love old hotels, especially if they are clean, and improvements are made as needed. And this hoyel overall was in pretty good condition.
Other trip Feb 27, 2015
If you enjoy old hotels this is the best. We stay here every time we go to Milwaukee.
1 night romance trip Feb 12, 2015
Nicole
"Memories"
Very convenient location. Gracious public spaces. Nice views.
1 night trip with friends Feb 11, 2015
"Great service"
The hallways had a moldy smell. The service was phenomenal. Andrew was so attentive.
1 night trip with friends Feb 7, 2015
Shawn
"Good value for money"
Good value for money. Hotel staff was great and very helpful.
3 night romance trip Feb 2, 2015
Good location; old hotel with very limited updates to the rooms; hallways smell; dripping shower.
Other trip Jan 26, 2015
"Convenient to Downtown"
The hotel shows beautiful photos of the bar and restaurant that are now closed. Room was pleasant; lobby is tired looking.
Other trip Jan 24, 2015
"Perfect"
Perfect location ....... friendly and clean!Visiting familyH
4 night trip Jan 11, 2015
Marilyn
"Location fit our needs"
Very old, quaint hotel in desperate need of updates to the rooms. No longer has the restaurant there. Our room had large stains on the carpet, a large hole in the bathroom shower wall around the upper shower piping, a toilet hooked up to exposed piping and no water tank. The rooms were as clean as could be but too expensive for very little comfort. Too bad, this hotel has a lot of character but the rooms are in pretty sad condition.
Other trip Jan 15, 2015
Rebecca
"Shabby chic"
It was great! If you are looking for something outside of the bland, cookie-cutter hotel chain experience, this is it. Not enough spiders, though. Not even one.
Other trip Jan 7, 2015
"Rooms are hot, shower doesn't drain properly"
You can't control the room temperature, so it's very hot in the room.
2 night romance trip Dec 25, 2014
Nice place. Always stay here when visiting Milwaukee.
Other trip Dec 29, 2014
marty
"Seriously?"
We have a relative living in this building - so having our own space over the weekend was a good thing. There's a parking lot but the buzzer to notify the front desk was out. The guest room was old school, we appreciate that; a step-up ceramic tiled bathroom and coats of paint are OK and, while the bed covers were lumpy, it's laundered consistently. However, even with both windows open all the way it was so hot that sleep was IMPOSSIBLE. I turned on the shower... nothing but cold water! As I twisted the knob I realized that I also couldn't turn the water off - just full blast cold water. I tried calling the front desk - it took three calls for him to answer and a maintenance soon showed up. After complaining that he keeps telling them that the faucet is old and sticks (WD40 anyone?) he forced it to put out warm and to shut off. I got my shower - but couldn't turn the water off -again. I could turn it to cold between my shower and my husbands' so the room wasn't over-steamed. He eventually got the water mostly turned off. Then there were the ants. Teeny, tiny ants all over the bathroom. Upon leaving I realized that this room was next to the recyling/trash room - bug Utopia. On checking out the desk clerk that I had talked to about the water problem just accepted the key with no question as to our experience. We have a family wedding in Milwaukee right down the street from this hotel and a lot of family members were planning to stay here - not any more.
1 night family trip Dec 27, 2014
All of the staff were friendly & accomodating. The hotel has a regal attmosphere & a great location in downtown Milwaukee. It's close to the lake & many attractions. The food at The Astor Cafe was good & wait staff were exceptional. :)
Other trip Nov 26, 2014
Pat
"They didn't find my reservation"
I paid for the room weeks before I went to Milwaukee to make sure I had a room since I was going to a wedding and I wanted something nearby. I was still at the reception when I called the hotel to let them know I would be there around 10pm. They said they didn't have my reservation. I figured maybe I had gotten confused and didn't remember the correct hotel, so I waited until I left to call them back to verify. By then it was around midnight and it was pouring down rain. I called just about every hotel in case it was my mistake. They all checked at the other hotels as well and even for the next day. There was not a reservation under my name anywhere in Milwaukee. I spent another 30 min sitting in my car making phone calls to hotels to find a room that was not more than the price of my reservation. By the time I got to a decent hotel it was almost 1:30am. Needless to say, I was very upset that despite my precaution in making the reservation and paying for it ahead of time, it was an aggravating waste of my time and pretty much ruined by otherwise memorable evening.
"SWELTERING"
Old hotel, needs a serious update, although room was re-painted and very clean. The radiator could not be adjusted and room was literally 80 degrees (not exaggerating). Made for a long hot night of no sleep. Even opening the window (which thankfully was operable) did not help much. The early morning staff comped my $10 parking, but I'm not sure $10 made up for a sleepless UNCOMFORTABLE night.
karen
"Hotel review"
I like the character of old hotels, so I depend on the reviews to help make my decision to stay in one. I liked the Astor Hotel; my room was clean, the bed comfortable. This hotel is nice if you are only planning on staying a couple of nights. We initially asked for two key, when we went out we left one key in the room and during the evening lost the other key. We returned to the hotel after 11pm and the front door was locked. We rang the bell and was let in (you are suppose to use the card attached to your key to get in after hours.) We explained to the front desk clerk we had lost our key and did they have another one, or have a Master key. We were told they didn't have extra keys and no Master but the clerk did say they could try a key. We went up to our room and the clerk was able to open our door. The problem was, the clerk never asked our name or to show any identification to prove we were the renters of the room before going up to the room and opening the door.
Other trip Nov 3, 2014
"better than i expected"
I was looking for a cheap hotel for a night. Wasn't really expecting much but it was a lot better than I had expected. Nice location some resturaunts and a grocery store in walking distance. We were informed of a rooftop chill area that you could hang out and have a nice view of downtown, that was pretty neato! The room wasnt very impressive and the bathroom looked pretty rundown. The walls were paper thin, we couldnt hear anyone but when I stepped out of the room the T.V. on low volume sounded like there was no walls... They also informed us of a free shuttle that will take you anywhere downtown which was a nice suprise saved us some money on cabs. Overall it was a nice place if I have to stay downtown again and looking for somewhere cheap this is not the worst!
Other trip Oct 26, 2014
mike
"Full of Ants."
The room was full of ants. Very dated, but got the room for a decent price. However, $100 for a room with Ants isn't worth it! No control over the temperature in the room, so I had to open the windows, which have no screens, and the windows were difficult to open.
1 night family trip Oct 20, 2014