All hotels in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States of America
924 E Juneau Ave, Milwaukee, WI, 53202, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

Poor vibe
    Bad breakfast
    Room is not nice
    Uncomfortable
"So, so."
The hotel was reasonably priced, resulting in our booking. Place is an antique. Very historic and the only thing updated was the pictures and bed sheets. Duvet had lumps in it, corridors smelled of strong food odors, because it also has apartments, which I did not know. Antique radiator heat controlled by a twist to a knob. No A/C and you had to step up to enter bathroom (keep shoes on to prevent stubbing your toes). No closet, just a rod with hangers. It served its purpose, but I probably will not be back. So, if it's an antique you are looking for, this is the place for you.
1 night romance trip Dec 31, 2015
"Charming building, lack of Internet"
The Astor Hotel is a historic building whose amenities and facilities are adequate, but have not been renovated. Everything was clean and met basic needs for a hotel stay. Customer service was acceptable, but not exemplary. The most memorable thing about the stay was the antique, old world charm of the building. The most frustrating thing about the stay was the lack of access to the Internet, which could not be remedied by hotel staff. The local shuttle service operated by the hotel was prompt and courteous. I would recommend this hotel, but will try a new location in Milwaukee if I travel there again.
2 night business trip Dec 10, 2015
Not Provided
"An acceptable but tired property"
This is a very old hotel with very small rooms. The hallways are dark and the rooms are served by two table lamps only. The rooms are clean but certainly have not seen a paintbrush in decades. The hotel is partly residential which probably accounted for a very unpleasant smell of some kind of cooking elsewhere in the building. The location is excellent. This is a hotel that seems to have 1 foot in the past and one in the present. The basic amenities were there, for example Wi-Fi worked. I I would stay there again strictly as a place to sleep in an excellent location and a beautiful neighborhood near the lake. It has none of the charm of old world hotel.
1 night trip Dec 12, 2015
The architect was beautiful, however the rooms need updating. I was unable to to control the temperature in the room. It was so warm in the room I had to sleep with the windows open and that provided little relief. There is not a thermostat, just a knob to turn on the radiator to control the temp from the boiler. There were also ants in the room. Reported to front desk and nothing was done.
2 night family trip Dec 11, 2015
"Jewel of Milwaukee"
The historical 'Astor on the Lakes Hotel', listed in the US National registor for its neoclassical architecture. Our stay here was awesome and fantastic. I really appreciate for entire 'Astor Hotel' family for maintaining the perfect mixture of modern & antique features in the Hotel. Very soon 'Astor Hotel' is going to celebrate centinary (in 2020). I hope 'Astor' will be always stand as a great landmark in Milwaukee city and I wish it will be a jewel in Milwaukee's beauty along with Lake Michigan.
3 night family trip Dec 6, 2015
Aditya Dutt
We stayed at The Astor on our honeymoon and have loved it ever since! We love the character of it and always have a nice room. This time we had a great view. Always wish we could stay just a few days longer.
1 night romance trip Dec 2, 2015
"Great Historic Building"
We really enjoyed our stay. The Astor Hotel is a historic building and the finishes are beautiful. The staff was helpful and friendly. It's in a great location and there is a restaurant within the building. The bed was large and comfortable. It was quieter than I expected too.
1 night romance trip Nov 20, 2015
Lynn
"Needs update"
The hotel was fine for a few days but I'd stay somewhere else in the future. The hotel was old, dark, drab, didn't have a refrigerator, poor lighting, and breakfast was not provided with the room. If you like old structures, this is the place for you. If you like newer hotels with up-to-date accommodations, you'll want to stay somewhere else.
3 night business trip Nov 16, 2015
Charles L
"Nice Neighborhood and Helpful Staff - Hotel Okay"
Nothing special. Okay place to stay. Beds were okay. No one was using the restaurant/bar except residents from what we could tell. Staff was very helpful and engaging. Opted out of $10 parking for free street parking which was plentiful. Would use again but only if deeply discounted. Located a block from terrific irish pub and restaurant open for breakfast, lunch and dinner...with entertainment on the weekends.
1 night romance trip Nov 7, 2015
Jerel
"Vintage hotel near downtown"
I really enjoyed staying here the area is very quiet and about 5 minute walk to downtown area. There is a parking lot here but you do have to pay 10 dollars a night. The rooftop deck was a very nice surprise, the view was awesome. The rooms are a bit smaller than others I have stayed in but it was ok since I was not really there to be in the room all day.
2 night romance trip Oct 14, 2015
"False Advertising, Spider Colonies and Rude Staff"
1. Queen size beds are NOT queen size beds. 2. Free Wi-Fi. Free, yes. Actually working, no. 3. Bathroom doors do not close. We switched rooms, and the bathroom door in our new room wouldn't close either. 4. Rear exit had a major, scary spider colony living in the light fixture above the middle of the room. There had to be at least 10 very large spiders living above the light. How does the hotel not see this, clean this up? This is actually a health hazard that should be addressed immediately. 5. Very rude staff at the front desk. 6. No AC. No indication that there wasn't AC. 7. Mold all throughout the bathroom. No possible way I could ever recommend this hotel to anyone until they cleaned up their act and were honest about the accomodations.
Other trip Sep 29, 2015
Recent Traveler
"The hotel is very old with the bathroom to match!"
The walls were scuffed and the doors had been painted about 100 times to hide rusty hardware. My boyfriend could barely stand in the shower it was so small and the room was the size of a shoebox. Not worth the money.
Other trip Sep 28, 2015
Disappointed
"Ads are misleading"
Staff was inattentive, building is run-down, room smelled bad, window AC unit was not properly installed, beds were uncomfortable.
Other trip Sep 21, 2015
Erin
"Nice hotel close to Irish Fest grounds."
Hotel was old but nice and clean. Not a fan of having to pay extra for parking as I think it should be included. Only $10, but sill got a warning notice on my car for not being authorized to park there. The staff quickly corrected.
Other trip Aug 23, 2015
Steph
"Stay elsewhere."
This place is a dump. The room smelled. The hallways were musty. The room was very small, and this was an upgraded room we received upon check-in. The shower, while having great water pressure, leaked everywhere from the showerhead. There was no refrigerator. The restaurant/bar was closed our entire stay.
2 night romance trip Aug 16, 2015
Wiliam
"Cost to value, this is a perfectly suitable place."
I was in town for the Irish Festival. Aster Hotel is just shy of 100 years old and contains a great number of touches that recall the 1920s. My room was impeccably clean. A high note is the older shower head which allows enough water pressure to fondly recall days of yore. On the downside there is no coffee shop and the bar/restaurant is closed most of the week [County Clare Pub is across the street and Einstein Bagels and Panara are within walking distance at Ogden and Van Buren]. The Yankee Hill neighborhood is a truly lovely walk.
6 night trip with friends Aug 10, 2015
Abigail
"Easy walking to everywhere"
We were in town for a race and didn't rent a car. We were able to walk everywhere and the staff were all wonderfully friendly.
Other trip Aug 11, 2015
Anna
"Astor Stay"
Cool old hotel. It would be nice if they had quieter air conditioners that worked better.
2 night business trip Aug 5, 2015
Carl
"Astor hotel stay"
Funky old hotel is combination of hotel rooms, extended stay and long term living accommodation. Rooms are acceptable, main hotel is old and worn. Would not recommend to business travelers.
3 night business trip Aug 4, 2015
Roger
"Getting around"
The historic hotel is a bit shabby and the air conditioning unit was noisy and inefficient. The front desk staff were friendly and accommodating. The best part, not so clearly advertised is the van service that transports you within a 2 mile radius of the hotel.
Other trip Aug 8, 2015
Older Folks
"Milwaukee Germanfest Stay"
Very nice older hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful; The front desk staff, restaurant and bar servers were excellent and friendly. A few minor concerns: On the day before we left, our room was not made up until we asked the front desk to contact maid service to do so (late afternoon around 5 pm); We weren't informed that the shuttle did not run on Sunday's. We stayed 6 days/5 nights and it seemed like the room had not been vacuumed at all. And the only storage space in room for clothes, other than hanging clothes was above the hangers and the 2 bed end tables. A suggestion to possibly install ceiling fans or include room fans because when the window A/C wasn't being used, (which was noisy), the room got very warm (in summer of course). But overall, we enjoyed our stay in this hotel and Milwaukee.
5 night romance trip Jul 23, 2015
Jeffrey
"Quirky fun"
Here's the thing--I LOVED the Astor. What a lot of personality! However, if you're a princess and the pea type, you're going to hate it big. It's a regal old hotel that is part residential, in a residential neighborhood right off the lake, a short walk to the art museum. Great location, I think. It's best days are behind it and hey, with a good renovation, maybe in front of it as well. Right now, it's pretty tired. But if you like character, if you like quirky--you found it! Stained glass skylights, classical details in the lobby, and places to relax. It's got a fun restaurant on the first floor in a French gay-90's decor (the 1890s may in fact be the last time the whole place was remodeled) that served a great breakfast (we were the only ones there, sadly!). The rooms seemed clean and the view great. Felt completely safe and the neighborhood walkable. Bottom line, I would stay there again. I'll take personality over one more cookie-cutter conference hotel anytime.
1 night romance trip Jul 23, 2015
william
"Okay for just a bed to sleep in"
We stayed here on the way back from the UP. It was fine for just a bed to sleep in, but it was a tiny room - no fridge and the ice machine was out of order. We woke up to workers outside of our window, cleaning and repainting before 8am… the front desk had not mentioned this and it was not pleasant to wake up to the pounding. The AC was a window unit and was very loud - this helped to drown out the noise coming from other rooms, but if you're a light sleeper, good luck. We front desk staff when we checked in was pleasant, but short. The one in the AM was very nice and helpful.
1 night romance trip Jul 20, 2015
"Worth a try"
Very well situated, close to downtown and the lake and just ten minutes to the art museum, this is an older hotel on the national register of historic places. It's quirky and admittedly a bit dingy in the lobby and hallways, but the room was fine and the staff friendly and helpful. If you're like me and prefer distinctive places rather than chain hotels, this is a fine place.
3 night trip Jul 16, 2015
"can't complain"
Nice for what it is.older hotel with charm good location ,close to downtown
1 night trip with friends Jul 11, 2015
Jose
"Inflexible"
I arrived to the hotel only to realize that I left my debit card in another purse back home in SF. I had more than enough cash to cover the cost of the room and any other incidentals, they hotel policy was not to accept any cash at all. My mother was meeting me at the hotel about 3 hours after my arrival, I asked if I could leave the cash for now and would use her card when she arrived. I was told I was welcome to leave my bags and walk around until she arrived 3 hours later, but they would not give me a room. I eventually got a hold of my mother and through a lengthily process she emailed over their authorization form with the CC#. I asked if I could wait in the Grille and have lunch, only to find the Grille is only open Thurs-Sun. Was given a room 45 min after my arrival. Upon entering the hall of my room, I smelled a terrible stench and found they had given me a room next to the trash room. I dropped my bags and went to find lunch. I was sent down the block to a pub only to walk there and it was closed. I asked a local where I could go and was directed 5 blocks away to Grocery Store. Upon arriving back to the hotel after my long walk on a very humid day, I asked the same girl at the desk where to find the ice machine, only to be told it was broken. Upon departure less than 24 hrs later, on check out I had to have the bill corrected because I was charged for parking. I was not asked about my stay or thanked for my business.
Other trip Jul 15, 2015
EMB
"Historic property in quiet but convenient location"
Thanks to hotels.com, I got a great deal on a room at the Astor Hotel during Summerfest, the busiest time of year for Milwaukee hotels, especially those near the festival site. Although the Astor is within walking distance of the lakefront festival grounds (and other attractions like the Milwaukee Art Museum), it is in a quiet and mostly residential neighborhood adjacent to the east side of downtown (and close to the now-somewhat-trendy Brady Street and North Point areas). The hotel building is a bit dated, not only in the rooms but more so in the lobby area, and this may be because many units are rented out as apartments, making a typical hotel renovation difficult. However, the property is clean and well maintained, and the staff provides excellent service. One caution: The shuttle van has limited hours, so be sure to confirm its availability in advance with the front desk (not the toll-free line). Local bus service is actually quite convenient, but my stay happened to coincide with a very rare transit strike (obviously beyond the hotel's control), so if you arrive by air or train, research your options ahead of time. Still, I would gladly stay at this hotel again, especially during summer festivals.
5 night trip Jun 30, 2015
"Old hotel without heat. Only one person at front."
Expedia sold me a 1.5 star hotel sold as a 3.5 star hotel. Only one person at front desk during our 2 night stay. We had to get a room heater and more blackets because there was not heat but the room was freezing. This is a vintage residence hotel. This a basic hotel so do not believe how Expedia has it listed.
Other trip Jul 7, 2015
"Another great Summer Fest"
Stayed at this hotel many times and it's still my favorite. Reasonable, nice staff, great location. Awesome water pressure is always a plus.
2 night romance trip Jul 2, 2015
"Old, Historic hotel"
Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at the Astor Hotel. The room was awesome! Clean, updated (except bathroom), and there was an old school vintage feel too!!! The lobby was old...really old. But, honestly, I didn't mind it. I feel like it took me back in time! The location was good, quick walk to summer fest! Staff was decent and parking was cheap!!!
Other trip Jul 4, 2015
Lauren
"Astor awesome.."
Great surprise...Superb customer service from Kevin..Joe and everyone else..location the very best..
1 night romance trip Jun 23, 2015
Jerry
"Summerfest stay"
A great stay as usual. The staff is so friendly and very helpful. The Summerfest shuttle service is great. We stay at the Astor every year when we visit Summerfest. It is perfect.
1 night romance trip Jun 25, 2015
The Astor Hotel has always held a special bond with me as I was once a resident in their apartments. They do a decent job in preserving the historical charm and primarily cater to weddings and long-term guests. While the rooms were okay, a small refrigerator would have been nice. The service was so/so and accommodated our basic needs and questions. Sadly, they are not as friendly as I originally remember. The hotel is located in the Lower East Side neighborhood which is full of tree-lined strees with access to the lakefront, downtown, and the Brady Street area. Perfect for a long-term guest or a guest who will not be spending much time in their room. Cheers!
2 night trip with friends Jun 24, 2015
Christopher
The only large negative I found was that the bed was not comfortable...
1 night romance trip Apr 18, 2015
"Experience Historic Charm at the Astor"
We like to stay at the Astor. We love the historic charm and the location. If you like large modern bathrooms, this is not the place for you. If you love older architecture and ambiance, you will love it. It is always clean and the beds are very comfortable. Plus, they offer a shuttle that will take you and pick you up until midnight which is really handy.
1 night romance trip Jun 23, 2015
"Youth Hostel / College Apartment"
Historic hotel needs a facelift. Atmosphere of a youth hostel / college apt or dorm with young folks partying through the night. Shower backed up and hallways smelled. Mega years past our college days so We cut our stay after one night. Located in convenient and beautiful part of town. If your young on a budget- probably a good place to stay.
2 night romance trip Jun 19, 2015
"Stuffy, musty, outdated. We will not be back."
The location is divine, the lobby is lovely, and then wah wah, you get off the elevator on your floor and are greeted by a stuffy, musty smell. There's gross, old, cracked duct tape on the doesn't-open window. So you have to turn on the a/c. There's only a nightstand on 1 side of the bed, there are hardly any outlets in the room, the carpet is dingy and threadbare, and there is not even a customary 'welcome to the Astor' brochure. And then you go into the pepto-pink tiled bathroom, which you have to step up into (watch out for THAT in the middle of the night, and then don't bang into the small table from the closet your boyfriend has had to move close to his side of the bed). This place is old school and long overdue for updating. Also, while the check-in clerk was pleasant, he a) only told me about the shuttle the hotel offers to nearby locations when I asked about how to get to the Summerfest grounds that night; and, more seriously, b) he announced my room number out loud when there was another guy standing at the check-in counter next to me; and c) he asked me my phone number and license plate number from the computer several feet away from the check-in counter, forcing me to say them loudly enough that, again, the guy next to me at the check-in counter could hear it all. As far as this clerk knew, I was checking in alone. Making women (or any guests) reveal this kind of information - and revealing their room number out loud - is a huge safety problem.
1 night romance trip Jun 13, 2015
Victoria
Nice short stay. They upgraded the room from a queen to a king free of charge.
Other trip Jun 12, 2015
"Nice rooftop view of Lake Michigan.l.p."
Old hotel with great location. Pretty good price.
Other trip Jun 12, 2015
"Nice hotel at a fair price"
Room was good sized for a city site. Charming, but not gaudy. Chincy linens, but all worked well.
2 night romance trip Jun 4, 2015
"Lots of character"
We stayed for one night while in town for a concert. While there are very limited amentities, the friendliness of the staff and the character of the hotel more than made up for it. Almost like taking a step back in time. There is no restaurant or bar in the hotel but dozens to choose from right across the street and around the corner. I would definitely stay again.
Other trip Jun 10, 2015
Tracy
"Could be better than it was"
The only thing a person NEEDS to know about this hotel is that the walls are paper thin and the bed feels like a sack of potatoes.
Other trip Jun 8, 2015
"Above average hotel."
Noisy people until 2:00 in the morning on Friday and Saturday. Had to pay a additional $10.00 a night to park in the hotel parking lot. I requested three things to be fixed in the bathroombathroom. Only two things were fixed.
Other trip May 21, 2015
"Good not great"
The staff is the highlight of this hotel. I have stayed multiple times and have been recognized by the staff and offeredfree room upgrades. The second best part of this is the parking. it's not that expensive and is convienetly located. The only bad part is the rooms are not that quit. I can hear people talking in the halls and that isn;t great at 3:00 am in the morning.
Other trip May 14, 2015
Rob
"nice place to stay at a reasonable rate"
A nice place to stay, the price was very reasonable, location was awesome. Our room had the WORST shower I have ever used in a hotel. I almost wonder if some of the rooms have been updated and some have not, ours was not, giving it an old charm which was very nice except for the shower, a total disgrace.
2 night romance trip Apr 12, 2015
mark
"Just okay with issues."
Overall nice place. Wireless was in and out in my room. No running water in the morning for shower/toilet or brushing teeth. Reception said there should have been a 12h prior notice been given, that might had been the case for permanent residents but it was a rather unwelcome surprise for a single night stay.
1 night business trip May 4, 2015
Mario
Carrying around a key and keycard can be annoying. The hot water took about 30 minutes to get not freezing. It's an additional $10 for parking
Other trip May 1, 2015
"Nice view of the lake."
We had the view of the lake from the room and the lake, restaurants and entertainment was within walking distance.
Other trip May 1, 2015
"Old hotel, but very clean."
We stayed for a night and it was just what we were looking for. Clean, comfortable, nice hotel staff. Also, they shipped an item we left right away and were so thankful!
Other trip Apr 29, 2015
"Charming hotel"
This hotel was within walking distance to restaurants, bars, and parks. The staff, guests, and residents were incredibly warm and friendly. The rooms don't offer much for air flow and walls are a bit thin, but the view and location make up for it. Overall, I would stay here again.
Other trip Apr 17, 2015