All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
1075 Sutter St, San Francisco, CA, 94109, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"partyakron"
Party
1 night trip with friends May 1, 2015
Zachary
"no title"
Everything was good except the noise of hotel quests, for example talking loud on a hallway. It was hard to sleep.
1 night trip May 3, 2015
This was one of the more affordable hotels I found for just staying one night. It's close to Polk street which has a wide variety of bars and clubs to go to at night. I really enjoyed the hotels culturally ethnic theme/decor. It felt more warm and inviting than most hotels. Also, a plus was that Expedia allowed me to checkin early to the hotel and gave me the option to request things about my room (e.g. A view, 1bed or 2, etc.) Overall, I had a great experience!
Other trip May 3, 2015
Great value. Clean rooms, old world charm & friendly staff. While the location is only a few blocks away from the Tenderloin, it's incredibly convenient to Union Square & Nob Hill at half the price. Would definitely stay again.
3 night business trip Apr 28, 2015
"not a good fit for me"
the Hotel was perfectly decent. when I booked it I didn't notice it was in the Tenderloin--not a great neighborhood. I probably wouldn't stay there again, though it is a good value for San Francisco and the room was comfortable if spare.
1 night business trip Apr 30, 2015
Jill
"San Francisco gem"
The hotel was very cute and the staff fantastic! Because we were in the city, parking is a challenge. They had a free valet and the most affordable garage I had found (although two blocks away). The restaurant on site was great. Overall a really nice experience and would definitely stay there again.
2 night family trip Apr 24, 2015
Dawnn
"quick review"
very helpful and friendly staff
4 night business trip Apr 20, 2015
kevin
"Nice older hotel"
Hotel built in 1920. From 5th floor to 9th floor upgraded. Rooms are small but very clean. Hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. However, it is located in the Tenderloin district which is not the safest area of San Francisco. Centrally located for public transportation including Cable Cars.
Other trip Apr 21, 2015
VG
"Romantic and charming weekend getaway"
Wonderful weekend away with my honey. Staff was helpful and knowledgable. Hotel is clean and welcoming. We will stay again! Highly recommend.
2 night romance trip Apr 17, 2015
Sara
We planned a night out on the town on Polk so this was a great location. Loved the complimentary wine in the evening(530-630) and the vallet per night around 35 which was a great deal compared to our other night stay at another hotel. Staff was extremely friendly and check in and check out was quick and efficient . Will def. be going back !!
Other trip Apr 20, 2015
Danielle
The Hotel Carlton was a very nice place to stay. It is an old hotel that has been well taken care of. I read a lot of reviews that mentioned being able to hear the neighbors. We did not here the neighbors, but we did hear everything going on in the hall and if you are in the hall, you can hear what's going on in the rooms as you walk by. Our room was comfortable and clean. The service is great. For the money I would definitely stay here again.
Other trip Apr 13, 2015
"Not what I was expecting"
The staff was good, but the hotel wasn't quite what I was expecting. They should have put more money into the building renovations. My room was on the alley side but the traffic noise made it pretty hard to sleep. It is time for better windows. You could also hear every noise in the hallway. It was not surprising when there is a one inch gap at the bottom of the 60 year old door. I could also hear every detail of our neighbors phone conversation (could have been a lot worse). Additionally, the bathroom was so small my six year old said he couldn't turn around in there. He was right. There was no room to move at all and no place to set your stuff. You should also know that it is not very close to the heart of Union Square. However, the biggest surprise was the $78 parking expenses I received over the course of two days. At least they allowed for in and out privileges so you can go pay high parking prices elsewhere. The experience was ok but was not impressed enough to ever go back.
Other trip Apr 12, 2015
Traveling Mom
"Excellent location, very pleasant & helpful staff"
Excellent, would definitely use again Very close to many of SF attractions Best bakery in SF just around the corner 5 min walk to Union Square
Other trip Apr 11, 2015
Very friendly. Pretty oriental touch and decoration.
Other trip Apr 10, 2015
Clean, comfortable and good location. 10 minute walk to Union Square. You can get an Uber anywhere. Not many amenities but that was fine.
Other trip Apr 4, 2015
"Great hotel!"
Great hotel. Friendly staff, clean rooms. A not removed from the heart of city but still a reasonable location! Would stay again!
3 night romance trip Mar 26, 2015
Jaime
"pleasant stay 15 minute walk from Powell and Marke"
The hotel is clean with a superior staff. All the staff have happy faces and will do what is necessary to make sure the stay is a good one. The building is an older one. the rooms are roomy but basic. However the wi fi was fast and reliable in the rooms.
Other trip Mar 28, 2015
Uclan71
"Nice hotel close on near Union Square"
The room is really small and lights bright through from other room's door. No Bell Boy.
Other trip Mar 28, 2015
Debbie
"A very pleasant hotel in SF"
The staff were courteous and friendly, the room comfortable and facing towards Larkin St., away from the potentially noisy Sutter St., and the location was convenient for the California St. cable car and the Asian Art Museum. It is a bit far from BART and the Muni trolley line, but there are buses nearby.
3 night romance trip Mar 20, 2015
"Good mid-price hotel near Nob Hill"
Map showing location of this hotel was a bit misleading--it was not 2 blocks away from the Fairmont but 7--all uphill! Good things about the hotel: It's reasonably quiet; they have complimentary wine in the late afternoon; the staff is wonderful; the restaurant Saha is excellent; price is reasonable. Bad things: Bed is kind of soft; no fitness facility; slow elevators.
2 night business trip Mar 20, 2015
"Great experience"
Great location! Rooms was great. Group of 4! The no air con wasnt an issue since we are able to open the windows! Noise was not an issue for us! The walls are kind of thin though! Location was perfect! Bars are 2 blocks away. UBER was a small fee to everywhere
4 night trip with friends Mar 18, 2015
"Nice hotel. Wonderful staff."
Great staff. Clean rooms. We were always welcomed when we entered and left the hotel. The staff called the shuttle service for us when they saw they were running a bit late. Great great people.
Other trip Mar 24, 2015
The hotel was very nice and the location made it easy to get all over town - either walking, cable cars or busses. The staff were all great.
Other trip Mar 23, 2015
liz
"Pleasant surprise in SF"
The Carlton was a pleasant surprise. It is a nicely renovated older property on the Nob Hill/Tenderloin border that was quite comfortable. Our room was a little small, but clean and well-appointed. Street-side rooms can be noisy on weekends, as the hotel is next to a very lively bar. Staff was excellent and very cheery.
4 night family trip Mar 14, 2015
"Great Hotel!"
A really fun place with staff that made us feel right at home. Loved the free wine happy (1/2) hour and live music. Clerk Theo was so helpful and nice! A little far from Union Square, but worth the extra walk.
3 night romance trip Mar 15, 2015
Deborah
"pleasant but didn't stand out"
My husband and I love San Fran so we try to visit once or twice a year. We were placed on top floor and the view is nice. The location is good to great depending on where you want to go. We stayed at another hotel for cheaper rate. Comparing everything, comfort, cleanliness, service, everything was comparable. For the reason of higher room rate, the rating for overall is only average.
1 night romance trip Mar 13, 2015
Agnes
Off the beaten path, tired hotel but nice staff. For the price, it was ok but not great.
Response by Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel
We are so pleased that our team went above and beyond in service during your stay at the hotel. We are continuously improving the guest experience and will use your feedback for future renovation projects.
Other trip Mar 17, 2015
"Wonderful hotel and restarant Saha is a must!"
The hotel is between Knob Hill and the Tenderloin - two of the most different areas in the city - we did feel safe there. The hotel room was wonderful and very comfortable. Lovely bedding and linens. Beautiful update/remodel of rooms and bathroom was nicely and professionally done. The staff were very nice and accommodating to store our luggage for both early arrival and late departure. They had a singer in the lounge late in the afternoon and even complimentary wine during her performance. I scored room comfort a 4 because of the noise, not the room. The restaurant 'Saha' was over the top! We like Middle Eastern food and the menu looked good so we tried it one night and were blown away with how good the food was - so we ate there again the following night. The only negative was the location of our room - 220 is just up an open staircase from the restaurant and a couple of nights there was partying until after 1 in the morning. We did not complain so maybe they could have done something. Better just to know to make sure you are not in 220 or possibly the room across the hall in room 206 which would be over the dining room. We would stay here again.
3 night romance trip Mar 10, 2015
"Sketchy"
You could hear thru the walls of the hotel, plus the hotel is in a very shady are of the city. Plus the personnel from the hotel were not very useful or informative. It almost cost me my flight out.
Response by Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel
We are sorry to hear your experience did not meet your expectations. We work hard to provide an excellent guest experience with great service and it seems as if we fell short in your case. We will work with the team to improve the training we provide so other guests do not have the same feelings as you did.
4 night romance trip Mar 11, 2015
"hotel in center of the city"
while the hotel and room were clean and decorated pretty (Hindu inspired decor) be aware the walls are paper thin so the smallest noise to the loudest chatter can be heard throughout the entire floor. Although the hotel says it has a quiet time from 10-on the noise level was high and persistent until about 6am from outside and inside the hotel. Furthermore, For some reason someone thought it was a good idea to hammer something until 3 or 4 am. If you plan on being out all night until the morning then this is the hotel for you, if you want some rest at a decent hour then it's not.
Response by Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel
We are sorry to hear about your experience with noise at the hotel. Please be assured that we do our best to ensure a good nights sleep for all of our guests. We are sorry that we fell short in your case. We are glad you enjoyed the decor of the hotel!
Other trip Mar 16, 2015
"Great little treasure near Nob Hill"
An old hotel that has been updated nicely with new bathrooms and eclectic, cheerful decor. I love the bright colors making me feel like you could be in Indonesia or Sri Lanka. Great food in the restaurant and the staff are friendly and funny. Everything is very clean. Convenient location (about 15 minutes to Union Square walking). We really like to stay here when visiting San Francisco.
2 night romance trip Mar 12, 2015
JoAnn
"Right hotel in the right town"
From the minute we arrived at the hotel, weary from our travels, the hotel staff welcomed us like long lost clan, handed us a bottle of wine & showed us to our room. Nothing more really needs to be said, that night set the tone for our new home away from home.
Other trip Mar 13, 2015
jewels
"Charmin Boutique Hotel"
3 of us were there on business. it is an old hotel but charming.rooms vary slightly but with the same décor. rooms redecorated in a tasteful, trendy chic way. rooms are a decent size. bathrooms were renovated. one issue was the noise level. you can hear everything in the hallway and in the alley behind building. for the price it was a nice , hip place to stay especially if you want more of a personal experience then you would have at a big chain. they have a complimentary wine happy hour. wine was decent. there is also a good bar right next door- Fly Bar. Hotel service very nice. Edgar is fabulous!!!!! the restaurant in the hotel (not affiliated with the hotel) was good - definitely try it. they have valet parking. if you want to park on your own there is a garage right on the corner - 1/2 block down. we would all stay there again.
4 night business trip Feb 23, 2015
gina
"We will be back!"
My wife and I greatly enjoyed our stay. The Hotel Carlton is a well refurbished, character hotel, in a central downtown location of San Francisco. A newness without loosing it's history, or charm. We are retired, but had no difficulty finding excellent dining and entertainment at the hotel and within a few blocks. Transportation to and from San Francisco International, Fisherman's Wharf, China Town, museums, Golden Gate State Park, tour buses, etc. greatly expanded our trip to view the Ai Weiwei art exhibit on Alcatraz. We are from Denver and the culture of the Hotel Carlton and San Francisco was just what we were hoping it would be. We will be back! Thank you.
Other trip Mar 2, 2015
Wayne
"Convenient city center location"
Friendly staff, great location, old boutiqu-ey; and rooms very clean.
Other trip Mar 2, 2015
"Hot second stay"
Even using valet parking it was somewhat inconvenient. But hey it is SF
1 night family trip Feb 26, 2015
"Beware: Very Poor Service for Late Check-Ins"
Yim, the front desk person when I arrived for a very late check-in at 12AM was pathetic. He told me I had to park my car in a garage that was 10 blocks away because their valet closed at 12AM and there were no open spaces in front of the hotel. He wasn't interested in helping me. I had to tell him multiple times "there's got to be something your company can do to help out its customers." I am with child and not familiar with the neighborhood, on top of that I stayed at this hotel alone. I was clear with Yim, stating I don't feel comfortable parking 10 blocks away and walking by myself back to the hotel at that late hour. Yim repeatedly stated "I would have you park in front of the hotel but there are no empty spaces." He appeared completely unaffected by my situation. He said "sorry, there's nothing else we can do." So then I asked, "have you looked outside and confirmed there are no empty spots in the front?" (basically asking him to get off his behind). Lo and behold, he walked to the front with me and there was an empty spot right outside. About 15 minutes of my time was wasted by Yim's laziness, not to mention the stress caused by his lack of service! I couldn't believe it!! He never acknowledged his mistake, and I don't know how he's been able to keep a job in the service industry. The hotel decor and front desk staff the next morning were great. Yim was just terrible! He even treated the janitor working there late at night poorly. SMH
1 night business trip Feb 25, 2015
"Cozy, cute in nice location - noisy construction."
Front desk and staff were exceptional and took great care of me. The hotel was very nice, cozy and clean rooms and great location. Unfortunately, there was construction just outside my door that lasted from 9AM-5PM+. Once that finally stopped, there was a noisy couple next door that kept me up until 1 - the walls are paper thin! I could hear the people in the room next to me talking even at a low volume. The staff was great though and when I called down about the noisy neighbors, they immediately addressed it.
1 night business trip Feb 24, 2015
Aidan
"Pleased!"
I was looking for something clean and safe, and this hotel ended up being both! I was very pleased with my stay. Its also well decorated. Staff is very helpful.
3 night business trip Feb 22, 2015
"Central San Francisco hotel"
I chose this hotel knowing very little about the city of San Francisco, but based on maps it was close to public transit, including about 8 blocks to BART. The downside is that 8 block walk was through a less than pleasant neighborhood that featured many panhandlers aggressively panhandling, including following you for a block or 2. During the day time this was a different scenario. It was convenient to bus lines, and getting around was easy. The room was comfortable, and the amenities were adequate. However, the walls were paper thin. Any noise in the hallway always sounded like it was right outside our door. Our neighbor for the few days we were these had 7am speaker phone calls daily, it it sounded like they were in our room. Also, we were on the third floor and traffic noise from the street below was always a nuisance, especially the 7am seemingly daily trash pick up. The slat blinds also did a poor job of blocking light, in fact at night the room flooded with outside light. The shower seemed cramp, and the shower curtain leaked water on the floor every time.
Other trip Feb 26, 2015
Jesse
"Comfy hotel with nice details"
The hotel is very well located, a few blocks from the busy Union Sq., where shopping, transport, tours and other interesting attractions are located. Nice interiors with details and decoration resembling east Asia. Rooms are not so spacious but are nice and have the basic things any traveler would need. The restaurant menu is simple but delicious, personnel at it was very attentive. Personnel is most helpful assisting with parking, tickets to tours, events, directions to attractions, etc.
Other trip Feb 24, 2015
Humberto
"Frisco get away"
The room was cozy and nicely themed. The room I had reserved was not available, the front desk comped breakfast and extended our stay. The customer service was excellent. Central location, not too far from many attractions. The only drawback is the building is old and the walls are thin. A couple of times in the middle of the night it sounded as if someone was entering our room, however it was the the next room over.
1 night romance trip Feb 21, 2015
"Great Decor and Location"
The Hotel Carlton was an excellent location in San Francisco and their "worldly" decor was absolutely gorgeous and completely my style. The hotel puts on a free wine tasting daily from 5:30-6pm with live music (on Saturdays.) The staff was super friendly and willing to answer any question we had. The room was nice - a decent size and VERY clean. The only negative thing I would say is that the walls are pretty thin and so you can hear your neighbors frequently. Yet - quiet hours from 10pm - 8am seem to be well respected so it wasn't much of an issue. The hotel restaurant, Saha, was also delicious. I definitely recommend this hotel.
Other trip Feb 23, 2015
Kassy
"Great Mini Hotel"
Excellent Customer Service! Well done Front Desk! Will be back!
1 night trip Feb 13, 2015
dina
"Returning Guest Review"
Love this place. Excellent customer service beginning at the curbside through check in. As a returning guest, we were upgraded to the higher, newly remodeled floor and handed a complimentary bottle of wine. Parking next door was easy and affordable. Room was perfect for our base camp while exploring San Francisco. Clean room, friendly staff and centrally located. Don't forget the incredibly delicious food in the Hotel's restaurant: Saga. Cool bar with happy hour adjacent. By the way, nightly wine mixer, also complimentary. Certainly returning.
2 night trip with friends Feb 17, 2015
Sotero
"Beautiful Hotel, 4 Diamond Service!"
The hotel is gorgeous! The staff was beyond hospitable. They were fun, friendly and overall top notch! We loved the complimentary wine and live music every evening (who wouldn't?!) The dining recommendations were perfect. Like most cities you get about a block of sketchy neighborhood, but you are close to many bars, restaurants, and shopping in nicer areas. I would love to stay there again!.
2 night trip with friends Feb 13, 2015
"Great service, great location and fabulous weekend"
We love staying at Hotel Carlton. Every visit to SF lands us on the corner of Sutter and Larkin at Hotel Carlton. Service is great, room size is perfect and location is excellent for our needs.
1 night romance trip Feb 13, 2015
"Nice staff, rooms were loud"
I wrote a long post on yelp and it won't let me paste it here so, the short version is that the staff is great, the rooms are pretty comfortable and very clean but the acoustics were terrible. It was like nouse was amplified. I woke up to the sound of our neighbors having a conversation at 6:30 in the morning and it's like they were in the room, standing next to the bed inches from my face. I'm not confident ear plugs would have taken care of it. Otherwise, was a great hotel and the staff were incredibly helpful.
Response by Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Hotels.com as well as on Yelp. We apologize that your sleep was not restful while at the hotel.. We are happy however that our team was helpful and welcoming during your stay and that you enjoyed the decor of the hotel and the comfort of the guestrooms.
2 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015
"solid stay"
Staff was very friendly and funny.
2 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015
DeJean
"Fab 40 and Valentine's Weekend!"
We really enjoyed our stay! We were there for my 40th Birthday which was Valentine's day! We will recommend this hotel again. The location was better than I expected. We were able to get to our destinations in great timing! Our entire trip was amazing and made for a great 40th birthday for me!
2 night romance trip Feb 13, 2015