All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
501 Geary St, San Francisco, CA, 94102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"We'll be back!"
Love this hotel! Staff is friendly and knowledgeable about the area. Rooms small but well appointed. Lobby "living rooms" cozy and inviting.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Thank you for the five star review. We look forward to your return.
1 night family trip Jan 29, 2015
"Very happy with our stay"
We spent our trip to San Francisco area at 4 different hotels and Monaco was by far our favorite. It provides a high-class of service without being pretentious, it's just casual and very laid back. The rooms weren't huge but they were perfectly fine and comfortable. They provide great amenities such as their wine happy hour daily, which we really enjoyed. We also took advantage of their bicycle rental before realizing the urban rush was a bit too much for us to deal with on bikes. All in all a wonderful hotel, and highly recommended.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
We are always incredibly flattered when people tell us we were their favorite hotel out of several they have tried recently. That means a lot to us. Glad you were able to attend the hosted manager's wine reception and that you got a chance to utilize our bikes. Please come back and see us on a future visit.
1 night romance trip Jan 18, 2015
"Near Union Square"
I was a late arrival & my first room was so noisy I couldn't sleep. Water was running next door continuosly. When I finally called the front desk I was moved to another room which was fine. The location is convenient to Union Square shopping & activities.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
I am so sorry about the noise. I am not sure what that was, but I am happy we were able to move you to another room that did not have the same issue.
2 night trip Jan 20, 2015
The restaurant was under construction, giving the exterior a less than inviting appearance. There was no room service as a result. The wine reception was nice and included a massage!
Other trip Jan 21, 2015
Melanie
"Review of Hotel Monaco"
Amazing location. Exceptional service, beautiful room decor for the price paid. Very reasonable price- included were complimentary items provided if needed- i.e. nail clipper, nail file, etc. Also happy hour daily, which we didnt take advantage off- but certainly a fun event for hotel guests to enjoy. We stayed as a couple and enjoyed it. I certainly would recommend this place to anyone.
Other trip Jan 20, 2015
Sueyi
"Great hotel!"
I have always wanted to stay at Hotel Monaco in San Francisco and because of a flooding in our SF apartment we got the chance. I was not disappointed. Everything was perfect and I loved the fanciful decor, friendly staff and great location. I only wish the Grand Cafe was still open.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
I am so sorry to hear about the flooding in your apartment. I have had that happen to me a few times. At least we were able to make up for a little of the discomfort.
Other trip Jan 16, 2015
Cindy
Great hotel- I always stay here- Sam and Jonathon and the rest of the team are a delight!
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Thank you for the five star review and the specific shout-out of two of our team members. We always appreciate that.
Other trip Jan 15, 2015
"Access to all of the Bay at fingertips"
a beautifully updated old-school hotel in the heart of the shopping district- a short walk and many long hilly walks to all that the beautiful city by the bay has to offer. Evening wine was a wonderful way to relax "at home" before heading out for more fun. My young adult sons were staying on the side of the hotel where construction was happening (jackhammers promptly at 9am) - this probably wouldn't bother many other guests - as most folks are up and about sightseeing or working by then - but their age group/vacation and jet lag necessitated a later rise. The hotel staff was very kind and accomodating - changing their room while we were out for the day. There are bikes to take on first come first serve basis - but we did not take advantage of this - Concierge service is really anyone- as Everyone was very helpful!
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We are working quickly to finish our renovation of our restaurant. We hope you can come back next year to experience it.
Other trip Jan 15, 2015
Eileen
i love the wall paper. it is rly san francisco style.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Thank you for the compliments on the wallpaper. We think it is pretty fun.
Other trip Jan 13, 2015
"Restaurant redo...."
Have stayed numerous times. Still fantastic, love the eclectic decor but they are redoing restaurant so wasn't as inviting upon entering lobby!
Response by The Marker San Francisco
There are days when you can't hear any noise due to the restaurant renovation and there are days when you can. I wish we could do a better job of predicting it. Thank you for giving us such a nice review despite the noise and disruption you experienced.
1 night family trip Jan 10, 2015
Crystal
Location was not the best but other than that it was a pleasant experience
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Oh, no. We love our location. But, we live and work here, so we are a little biased.
Other trip Jan 8, 2015
"2 nights in the Hotel Monaco"
The room was in great condition, clean and comfortable. Fancy. Great bathrooms. Safe neighborhood. Great value. They need a better system when dealing with online reservations. Construction during the day interrupted our rest (but I'm sure this is temporary).
Response by The Marker San Francisco
We can't wait for our restaurant renovation to be complete. We hope you can come back later this year to experience it.
1 night romance trip Jan 2, 2015
Zachary
"Under construction Mania!"
The restaurant and kitchen are under remodel. I would not stay here until these are finished. Our room was just above the construction and at 8am, it sounded like a bulldozer was coming through the walls. Terrible!!!
Response by The Marker San Francisco
My office and your room must be right next door to each other. Yes, we have had a few days with loud construction noise. Luckily, those are not the norm. But, we hope you will come back to see us later in the year to see what all of the noise was about.
2 night trip with friends Dec 30, 2014
"Great hotel, terrific location"
This is our third trip to Hotel Monaco in San Francisco and will definitely stay there again. The decor is beautiful, rooms are very comfortable and decent-sized, and the staff is great. The restaurant was closed for remodeling on this trip.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Thank you for the five star review.
Other trip Jan 5, 2015
"Hotel Monaco a great value"
I took my girlfriend out for her birthday. We live in SF. Hotel Monaco conveniently located close to Union Square and the theatre district. I recommend for business travelers or tourists. Hotel Monaco located on the borderline of the gritty Tenderloin. Do not let that discourage you. The Clift Hotel across the Street featuring the Redwood Room more than makes up for the Hotel Monaco's restaurant and bar being closed for renovations.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Thank you for the five star review. Please come back and see us after we finish our restaurant renovation.
SFbiztraveler
"Nice hotel with great service."
Service was very good from all staff. Perfect stay if restaurant and bar had been open. Keep up the good work!
Response by The Marker San Francisco
We are working on reopening our restaurant. Please come back and see us for the "perfect stay."
Other trip Jan 5, 2015
"Great hotel, but needs to step up its game."
I've stayed at the Monaco numerous times in the past and It was one on my favorite places to stay in SF. However, I hadn't been there in a few years, and was dismayed to find that the Grand Cafe, the restaurant in the hotel was closed for renovation, making the free coffee and breakfast service in the lobby extremely crowded. The hotel ran out of fruit and pastries before the designated service hours were up and had no way of replenishing the supply. Also the elevator was under repair during the morning rush creating 15 minute wait times for the elevator. (The stairs only led to an outside emergency exit.) On the plus side, the newly renovated rooms were quite nice and Kimpton has the best pet policy going: no surcharge and free dog biscuits and water at the entrance!
Response by The Marker San Francisco
We hate to hear people use the past tense when they talk about our hotel. We hope you will come back to see us after our restaurant renovation is complete so that we will become a present tense "favorite place to stay" again.
1 night romance trip Dec 29, 2014
Vincent
Very good. Great rooms, excellent location! The rooms are very comfortable, good size.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Thank you for the five star review.
Other trip Jan 3, 2015
"Disappointing Stay"
We booked a junior suite for 4 nights. Price was 300+ /night with taxes/fees included. Experience Day 1 and Day 2: Rating 1 Our room had horrible clanging and vibrations in the walls. Maintenance and engineering were unable to find source and fix the problem. It was a series of vertical rooms - not just ours. The hotel was full, so we couldn't move till day 3. They did comp us one night, and I didn't argue about getting 2nd night comp'd but we definitely didn't have enjoyable stay these 2 nights. Experience Day 3 and Day 4: Rating 3 New room had no noise. It had no jaccuzi tub though (again not what I paid for) - but at least I could sleep. Rooms were roomy and nicely decorated - had king size bed and sleeper sofa. Cleanliness: In both rooms there was some mold in the tub/shower grout and in the second room there were cracked tiles in the tub. Again at this price point, there should not be mold. Restaurant closed - you get ticket for one Danish/one fruit for breakfast - but they still ran out of food. Are Danish really that expensive that you can't order a little extra to make sure they don't run out? Wine reception was good. Staff were professional, polite, and tried to help.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed in your stay. It sounds like you had several problems during your stay and I hope we did our best to resolve those.
Other trip Jan 1, 2015
Virginia
"Another comfortable stay at the Hotel Monaco in SF"
We stayed only one night this trip. We like the location, service, and comfort of the Monaco. We didn't know that the Kimpton chain was started in SF until we read Mr. Kimpton's bio. The evening wine tasting is always fun and I got a nice little massage also this time. The restaurant was closed, but we didn't try the last time we were here in May of this year.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate the kind words.
1 night romance trip Dec 28, 2014
Matthew
"Classic Contemporary"
Comfortable!i
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Thank you for the four star review.
2 night trip Dec 26, 2014
Anoush
"Beautiful property near Union Square"
The Monaco is an excellent hotel, beautifully appointed and well kept. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, the staff friendly and attentive.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Thank you for all of your kind words. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to write this.
Other trip Dec 28, 2014
"Very nice hotel with a great location."
The staff was very attentive and helpful with directions and recommendations. I was disappointed that the restaurant was closed for construction. I was not made aware of that fact.Great
Response by The Marker San Francisco
I am very sorry that you were not informed of the restaurant being closed for renovation. We closed the renovation on July 31st and we are working hard to reopen it. We hope you will visit us in 2015 to see the completed product.
Other trip Dec 23, 2014
Reg
"Lovely weekend"
The hotel was clean and quiet. The staff was attentive. It's dog friendly and my dog loved the accommodations. I definitely recommend this hotel!
Response by The Marker San Francisco
We are happy to hear your dog also enjoyed their stay with us. We are pet friendly and we do not charge any additional fees for your pets. We hope the humans will come back to see us, again, too.
Other trip Dec 23, 2014
santi Mandi
"Beautiful hotel"
Beautiful hotel inside. Personally I don't like the location, too many weird people walk around and a bit dirty on the streets. I guess it's ok for young people who looking for parties
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Thank you for the five star review, even if you did not like the location. We definitely have a lot of interesting characters in San Francisco.
Other trip Dec 21, 2014
Indigo
"Wonderful location! Great service."
We were really happy with staying there. Great location, excellent service, spacious room and much more.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Thank you for your kind words about our service and location. We hope you will come back and stay with us.
Other trip Dec 20, 2014
myself
"Evening in the city with a friend"
Disappointed that the Resturant wasn't open. Room was nice but the shower was very moldy
Response by The Marker San Francisco
We wish our restaurant was open, too. We are working hard to get it opened as soon as possible. And I am very sorry you thought there was mold in your shower. I hope we got that fixed for you.
Other trip Dec 19, 2014
diana
"Hotel Monaco -- charming and fun."
Lovely experience. Second time to stay here and would gladly stay here again!
Response by The Marker San Francisco
We love that you would stay here, again. That means we did our job well.
Other trip Dec 18, 2014
"Union Square Comfort and Joy"
We stay overnight during Christmas season every year - had never stayed here before. It was great. There was a conference in town so nearly every hotel was full. The Hotels.com discount I found in my e-mail made a suite possible and we were upgraded to an even bigger suite. It was overall great! Very clean and the staff top notch. Right in the middle of Union Square shopping and safe area.Beautiful lobby with fireplace. Will definitely hope to come back again.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
I love the holiday reference in your subject heading. Thank you for posting this five star review. And thank you for staying with us every year.
1 night family trip Dec 7, 2014
Ann
"SF weekly visit"
This is a beautiful hotel and the service was impeccable. My one challenge with the hotel was that the restaurant is under construction and there aren't a lot of good options within walking distance. The neighborhood was a lttle dicey after dark if you didn't know exactly where you were going. Having a great restaurant in the hotel will be a great help.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
We are working hard to complete our restaurant renovation. We can't wait for it to open, too. Please come back and see us in the new year.
1 night romance trip Dec 2, 2014
"Great hotel!"
This is a wonderful hotel in a great, convenient location of the city. I've stayed here before and would stay again. The rooms are comfortable, attractive, and clean. The lobby areas are gorgeous. The staff is very friendly and helpful!
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Wow. Thank you for the five star review. Please come back to see us in the new year.
Other trip Dec 2, 2014
CK
"Hotel review"
Someone should have told us that the hotel was under construction and the amenities, such as the restaurant, bar, and pool/spa were closed...At the price you are paying you should at lease get that much.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Oh, no. We closed our restaurant on July 31st. We updated all of our sites to indicate that information. We honestly do not want to surprise anyone with that information when they arrive. I am really sorry about that. I can understand why you felt let down.
Other trip Dec 2, 2014
aticus
"A touch let down"
We have stayed this hotel a few times and overall love it. This time however, the hotels restaurant was closed for renovation and the jacuzzi too was closed. Those were tooo things we love and were very disappointed about this. We do love the hotel itself but without those accommodations it's not the same experience. It's an expensive hotel and a heads up would have been nice.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
I am really sorry you did not know about the work being done at our hotel. We closed our restaurant on July 31st and we have updated all of our websites to reflect this information. I am really sorry this was a surprise to you when you arrived. We definitely do not want our guests to arrive and to immediately feel let down.
1 night family trip Nov 28, 2014
Cynthia
Had a great time. Hotel is great. No food on site but they are remodeling. Parking an oversize car is very expensive. Park around the corner and save $25 by parking in the same garage they do. Location is on the border of questionable even though it's near union square. There is a walgreens across the street which is handy.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Thank you for being so understanding during this time. We are renovating our adjacent restaurant and we can't wait for you to see the final product.
Other trip Nov 29, 2014
"Wonderful place to crash for a few days."
We came here to elope in San Fran. Everyone at the hotel was incredibly friendly. They had a bottle of champagne and a sweet welcome card in our room when we arrived. The common areas were beautiful as well our suite. Breakfast was a bit silly, but I assume that's just something to have until the restaurant opens up. Can't wait to come back!
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Congratulations! I hope you can come back every year to celebrate with us. And by this time next year, we will have a brand new restaurant. We want to help you make more great memories.
2 night romance trip Nov 23, 2014
Angela
"Monaco"
The hotel was great, but they were renovating it and the construction was super loud.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
We apologize for the noise. We can not wait for this renovation to be complete. Thank you for being so understanding during your stay.
3 night business trip Nov 19, 2014
The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Typical of a Klimpton. The restaurant was under construction. Some rooms are a little cramped. But overall, the room was a pleasant refuge from the frenetic activity outside on Union Square.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Thank you for the kind words about our staff. We want our guests to feel like this is their home. We are sorry about the construction and the noise, but the final product should be well worth it.
Bruce
"Romantic 'staycation""
As San Francisco natives, we wanted a romantic, elegant and fun night away. The Hotel Monaco is fantastic. The location is of course great. The hotel manages to be both elegant and whimsical and fun. The rooms are pretty small, but their excellent design compensates. Highly recommend.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
We are honored that you chose us for a "staycation." Hopefully, you can come back next year when all of our work has been completed. Maybe we can get a 6 star review?
"This hotel is going down hill."
I understand the hotel is under renovation and I was fine with that. Yet, the carpets are dirty, I mean really dirty, in the hallways, in the rooms. I did get a smaller room this time because all the kings were booked but the only place to sit, except the bed, was the desk seat! Surely, the could have squeezed in a little, comfy chair somewhere? And the hotel room was dirty, probably because in many very obvious areas, it had not been cleaned or dusted in awhile. It made me wonder about what I could not see! Very disappointed. Had been my go-to hotel for a long time......
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Oh, no. I am so sorry to hear this. We just replaced the carpet 1.5 years ago. And we replaced the hallway carpets, as well. I will try to do some research to figure out which room you stayed in, because we definitely need to remedy this, if it is an issue.
"Good stay. Fit the need."
Great hotel. Should be really good when bar opens up. Hot water wasnt abundant but manageable. Probably will return.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
We can't wait for our new bar and restaurant, too. Come back and see us in the new year.
2 night trip with friends Nov 15, 2014
"Excellent hotel; great location"
Excellent hotel with terrific front desk staff (John in particular). Stay marred only by noisy adjacent room.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Thank you for the kind review. And I will make sure Jonhathan knows you mentioned him specifically. And I am sorry to hear about the noise from the adjacent room.
Other trip Oct 28, 2014
Lock
"Nike half"
Great place to stay. Fairly quiet for city life.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Congratulations on running the Nike half marathon. We are always so impressed with the dedication. And thank you for staying with us.
3 night trip with friends Oct 17, 2014
"Close to Union Square"
Don't arrive after too late, it's hard trying to figure out parking an the valet was not in the front at night. I had to call to get parking info.; plus they charge almost $70 every time they valet the car. Location is great if you have to be near Union Square, other than that too many homeless walking around - especially at night. Other than that, the experience was good.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Yes, our valet parking is expensive. It is $52/night + tax for a standard size vehicle and $67 + tax (gulp)/night for an oversized vehicle. We are always happy to recommend other parking options which may be less expensive.
Other trip Oct 21, 2014
Jhoanna
No pool/spa (saw advertised on hotels.com) No restaurant currently. No fans in bathroom to eliminate steam condensation. Rooms were clean, hotel staff were nice. Good hotel, but without a pool/spa and restaurant, too expensive compared to similar hotels nearby.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Thank you for letting me know that one of our partner sites was not updated with the most current information regarding our spa. Yes, the restaurant was closed on August 1st and it will not reopen until early 2015. We are excited to launch our new restaurant.
3 night family trip Oct 5, 2014
"Close to BART and close to convention center"
Very nice hotel. The staff was extremely nice and attentive. Completely recommend. They are remodeling so there is not a restaurant or lounge at the moment, but there are many of both nearby. We did not even see the remodeling, so it is not an inconvenience.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Yes, we are renovating the adjacent restaurant. Which means we do not have a restaurant or bar at the moment. But, as you mentioned, there are tons of great options in the area and we are happy to give you our recommendations. We can't wait for you to try our new restaurant when it opens.
5 night trip Oct 7, 2014
"Comfortable stay"
Kimpton doesn't disappoint. Great room, very friendly staff and a good all around experience.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
We definitely do not want to disappoint and I am happy to hear we met your expectations. Next time we need to exeed your expectations.
2 night business trip Oct 8, 2014
"No Food"
Hotel was great - I've stayed at many Hotel Monacos...but they had no room service or restaurant in the hotel (under repair) - which made it a little inconvenient. They tried to make up for it by offering complementary pastries and coffee each morning (they are trying). If you typically use room service, I'd recommend not staying there until their restaurant is operational.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
We wish we had our restaurant open, as well. We know it isn't convenient for everyone. But, we are excited about our new restaurant and we can't wait to share it with you. In the mean time, San Francisco has some amazing options and we would be happy to give you our recommendations. There are also great delivery options.
1 night business trip Oct 7, 2014
"Just missing the Restaurant"
Hotel rooms and locación are both very good. If only the restaurant was open for breakfast, etc. The one hour Wine Tasting was a nice touch.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Thank you for the five star review. We are sorry that our restaurant is currently under renovation. We are looking forward to showing it off when it reopens.
3 night romance trip Oct 3, 2014
JJD
"Fabulous stay"
Our stay at Hotel Monaco was fabulous... The rooms were clean and very comfortable... The hotel staff were outstanding... Made us feel very welcome and took care of every need..
Response by The Marker San Francisco
We really do want our guests to feel welcome. We want you to come back again and again. And we want you to tell your friends. I am glad to hear we achieved our goal with you. Now, you just need to come back.
Other trip Oct 9, 2014
This hotel is in a great location and I found every aspect of the hotel to be quite pleasant. We were only there less than 24 hours but it was a very enjoyable experience. The rooms were clean and the hotel is beautiful.
Response by The Marker San Francisco
Thank you for the five star review. We wish you could have stayed longer.
1 night romance trip Sep 21, 2014