All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here501 Geary St, San Francisco, CA, 94102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

Very good. Great rooms, excellent location! The rooms are very comfortable, good size.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Thank you for the five star review.
Other trip Jan 3, 2015
"Disappointing Stay"
We booked a junior suite for 4 nights. Price was 300+ /night with taxes/fees included. Experience Day 1 and Day 2: Rating 1 Our room had horrible clanging and vibrations in the walls. Maintenance and engineering were unable to find source and fix the problem. It was a series of vertical rooms - not just ours. The hotel was full, so we couldn't move till day 3. They did comp us one night, and I didn't argue about getting 2nd night comp'd but we definitely didn't have enjoyable stay these 2 nights. Experience Day 3 and Day 4: Rating 3 New room had no noise. It had no jaccuzi tub though (again not what I paid for) - but at least I could sleep. Rooms were roomy and nicely decorated - had king size bed and sleeper sofa. Cleanliness: In both rooms there was some mold in the tub/shower grout and in the second room there were cracked tiles in the tub. Again at this price point, there should not be mold. Restaurant closed - you get ticket for one Danish/one fruit for breakfast - but they still ran out of food. Are Danish really that expensive that you can't order a little extra to make sure they don't run out? Wine reception was good. Staff were professional, polite, and tried to help.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed in your stay. It sounds like you had several problems during your stay and I hope we did our best to resolve those.
Other trip Jan 1, 2015
Virginia
"Another comfortable stay at the Hotel Monaco in SF"
We stayed only one night this trip. We like the location, service, and comfort of the Monaco. We didn't know that the Kimpton chain was started in SF until we read Mr. Kimpton's bio. The evening wine tasting is always fun and I got a nice little massage also this time. The restaurant was closed, but we didn't try the last time we were here in May of this year.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate the kind words.
1 night romance trip Dec 28, 2014
Matthew
"Classic Contemporary"
Comfortable!i
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Thank you for the four star review.
2 night trip Dec 26, 2014
Anoush
"Beautiful property near Union Square"
The Monaco is an excellent hotel, beautifully appointed and well kept. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, the staff friendly and attentive.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Thank you for all of your kind words. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to write this.
Other trip Dec 28, 2014
"Very nice hotel with a great location."
The staff was very attentive and helpful with directions and recommendations. I was disappointed that the restaurant was closed for construction. I was not made aware of that fact.Great
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
I am very sorry that you were not informed of the restaurant being closed for renovation. We closed the renovation on July 31st and we are working hard to reopen it. We hope you will visit us in 2015 to see the completed product.
Other trip Dec 23, 2014
Reg
"Lovely weekend"
The hotel was clean and quiet. The staff was attentive. It's dog friendly and my dog loved the accommodations. I definitely recommend this hotel!
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
We are happy to hear your dog also enjoyed their stay with us. We are pet friendly and we do not charge any additional fees for your pets. We hope the humans will come back to see us, again, too.
Other trip Dec 23, 2014
santi Mandi
"Beautiful hotel"
Beautiful hotel inside. Personally I don't like the location, too many weird people walk around and a bit dirty on the streets. I guess it's ok for young people who looking for parties
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Thank you for the five star review, even if you did not like the location. We definitely have a lot of interesting characters in San Francisco.
Other trip Dec 21, 2014
Indigo
"Wonderful location! Great service."
We were really happy with staying there. Great location, excellent service, spacious room and much more.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Thank you for your kind words about our service and location. We hope you will come back and stay with us.
Other trip Dec 20, 2014
myself
"Evening in the city with a friend"
Disappointed that the Resturant wasn't open. Room was nice but the shower was very moldy
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
We wish our restaurant was open, too. We are working hard to get it opened as soon as possible. And I am very sorry you thought there was mold in your shower. I hope we got that fixed for you.
Other trip Dec 19, 2014
diana
"Hotel Monaco -- charming and fun."
Lovely experience. Second time to stay here and would gladly stay here again!
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
We love that you would stay here, again. That means we did our job well.
Other trip Dec 18, 2014
"Union Square Comfort and Joy"
We stay overnight during Christmas season every year - had never stayed here before. It was great. There was a conference in town so nearly every hotel was full. The Hotels.com discount I found in my e-mail made a suite possible and we were upgraded to an even bigger suite. It was overall great! Very clean and the staff top notch. Right in the middle of Union Square shopping and safe area.Beautiful lobby with fireplace. Will definitely hope to come back again.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
I love the holiday reference in your subject heading. Thank you for posting this five star review. And thank you for staying with us every year.
1 night family trip Dec 7, 2014
Ann
"SF weekly visit"
This is a beautiful hotel and the service was impeccable. My one challenge with the hotel was that the restaurant is under construction and there aren't a lot of good options within walking distance. The neighborhood was a lttle dicey after dark if you didn't know exactly where you were going. Having a great restaurant in the hotel will be a great help.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
We are working hard to complete our restaurant renovation. We can't wait for it to open, too. Please come back and see us in the new year.
1 night romance trip Dec 2, 2014
"Great hotel!"
This is a wonderful hotel in a great, convenient location of the city. I've stayed here before and would stay again. The rooms are comfortable, attractive, and clean. The lobby areas are gorgeous. The staff is very friendly and helpful!
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Wow. Thank you for the five star review. Please come back to see us in the new year.
Other trip Dec 2, 2014
CK
"Hotel review"
Someone should have told us that the hotel was under construction and the amenities, such as the restaurant, bar, and pool/spa were closed...At the price you are paying you should at lease get that much.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Oh, no. We closed our restaurant on July 31st. We updated all of our sites to indicate that information. We honestly do not want to surprise anyone with that information when they arrive. I am really sorry about that. I can understand why you felt let down.
Other trip Dec 2, 2014
aticus
"A touch let down"
We have stayed this hotel a few times and overall love it. This time however, the hotels restaurant was closed for renovation and the jacuzzi too was closed. Those were tooo things we love and were very disappointed about this. We do love the hotel itself but without those accommodations it's not the same experience. It's an expensive hotel and a heads up would have been nice.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
I am really sorry you did not know about the work being done at our hotel. We closed our restaurant on July 31st and we have updated all of our websites to reflect this information. I am really sorry this was a surprise to you when you arrived. We definitely do not want our guests to arrive and to immediately feel let down.
1 night family trip Nov 28, 2014
Cynthia
Had a great time. Hotel is great. No food on site but they are remodeling. Parking an oversize car is very expensive. Park around the corner and save $25 by parking in the same garage they do. Location is on the border of questionable even though it's near union square. There is a walgreens across the street which is handy.
Other trip Nov 29, 2014
"Wonderful place to crash for a few days."
We came here to elope in San Fran. Everyone at the hotel was incredibly friendly. They had a bottle of champagne and a sweet welcome card in our room when we arrived. The common areas were beautiful as well our suite. Breakfast was a bit silly, but I assume that's just something to have until the restaurant opens up. Can't wait to come back!
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Congratulations! I hope you can come back every year to celebrate with us. And by this time next year, we will have a brand new restaurant. We want to help you make more great memories.
2 night romance trip Nov 23, 2014
Angela
"Monaco"
The hotel was great, but they were renovating it and the construction was super loud.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
We apologize for the noise. We can not wait for this renovation to be complete. Thank you for being so understanding during your stay.
3 night business trip Nov 19, 2014
The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Typical of a Klimpton. The restaurant was under construction. Some rooms are a little cramped. But overall, the room was a pleasant refuge from the frenetic activity outside on Union Square.
Bruce
"Romantic 'staycation""
As San Francisco natives, we wanted a romantic, elegant and fun night away. The Hotel Monaco is fantastic. The location is of course great. The hotel manages to be both elegant and whimsical and fun. The rooms are pretty small, but their excellent design compensates. Highly recommend.
"This hotel is going down hill."
I understand the hotel is under renovation and I was fine with that. Yet, the carpets are dirty, I mean really dirty, in the hallways, in the rooms. I did get a smaller room this time because all the kings were booked but the only place to sit, except the bed, was the desk seat! Surely, the could have squeezed in a little, comfy chair somewhere? And the hotel room was dirty, probably because in many very obvious areas, it had not been cleaned or dusted in awhile. It made me wonder about what I could not see! Very disappointed. Had been my go-to hotel for a long time......
"Good stay. Fit the need."
Great hotel. Should be really good when bar opens up. Hot water wasnt abundant but manageable. Probably will return.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
We can't wait for our new bar and restaurant, too. Come back and see us in the new year.
2 night trip with friends Nov 15, 2014
"Excellent hotel; great location"
Excellent hotel with terrific front desk staff (John in particular). Stay marred only by noisy adjacent room.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Thank you for the kind review. And I will make sure Jonhathan knows you mentioned him specifically. And I am sorry to hear about the noise from the adjacent room.
Other trip Oct 28, 2014
Lock
"Nike half"
Great place to stay. Fairly quiet for city life.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Congratulations on running the Nike half marathon. We are always so impressed with the dedication. And thank you for staying with us.
3 night trip with friends Oct 17, 2014
"Close to Union Square"
Don't arrive after too late, it's hard trying to figure out parking an the valet was not in the front at night. I had to call to get parking info.; plus they charge almost $70 every time they valet the car. Location is great if you have to be near Union Square, other than that too many homeless walking around - especially at night. Other than that, the experience was good.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Yes, our valet parking is expensive. It is $52/night + tax for a standard size vehicle and $67 + tax (gulp)/night for an oversized vehicle. We are always happy to recommend other parking options which may be less expensive.
Other trip Oct 21, 2014
Jhoanna
No pool/spa (saw advertised on hotels.com) No restaurant currently. No fans in bathroom to eliminate steam condensation. Rooms were clean, hotel staff were nice. Good hotel, but without a pool/spa and restaurant, too expensive compared to similar hotels nearby.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Thank you for letting me know that one of our partner sites was not updated with the most current information regarding our spa. Yes, the restaurant was closed on August 1st and it will not reopen until early 2015. We are excited to launch our new restaurant.
3 night family trip Oct 5, 2014
"Close to BART and close to convention center"
Very nice hotel. The staff was extremely nice and attentive. Completely recommend. They are remodeling so there is not a restaurant or lounge at the moment, but there are many of both nearby. We did not even see the remodeling, so it is not an inconvenience.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Yes, we are renovating the adjacent restaurant. Which means we do not have a restaurant or bar at the moment. But, as you mentioned, there are tons of great options in the area and we are happy to give you our recommendations. We can't wait for you to try our new restaurant when it opens.
5 night trip Oct 7, 2014
"Comfortable stay"
Kimpton doesn't disappoint. Great room, very friendly staff and a good all around experience.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
We definitely do not want to disappoint and I am happy to hear we met your expectations. Next time we need to exeed your expectations.
2 night business trip Oct 8, 2014
"No Food"
Hotel was great - I've stayed at many Hotel Monacos...but they had no room service or restaurant in the hotel (under repair) - which made it a little inconvenient. They tried to make up for it by offering complementary pastries and coffee each morning (they are trying). If you typically use room service, I'd recommend not staying there until their restaurant is operational.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
We wish we had our restaurant open, as well. We know it isn't convenient for everyone. But, we are excited about our new restaurant and we can't wait to share it with you. In the mean time, San Francisco has some amazing options and we would be happy to give you our recommendations. There are also great delivery options.
1 night business trip Oct 7, 2014
"Just missing the Restaurant"
Hotel rooms and locación are both very good. If only the restaurant was open for breakfast, etc. The one hour Wine Tasting was a nice touch.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Thank you for the five star review. We are sorry that our restaurant is currently under renovation. We are looking forward to showing it off when it reopens.
3 night romance trip Oct 3, 2014
JJD
"Fabulous stay"
Our stay at Hotel Monaco was fabulous... The rooms were clean and very comfortable... The hotel staff were outstanding... Made us feel very welcome and took care of every need..
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
We really do want our guests to feel welcome. We want you to come back again and again. And we want you to tell your friends. I am glad to hear we achieved our goal with you. Now, you just need to come back.
Other trip Oct 9, 2014
This hotel is in a great location and I found every aspect of the hotel to be quite pleasant. We were only there less than 24 hours but it was a very enjoyable experience. The rooms were clean and the hotel is beautiful.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Thank you for the five star review. We wish you could have stayed longer.
1 night romance trip Sep 21, 2014
"Overall good experience"
Was a little too expensive for my liking but hotel room is super nice. beds are comfy, bathroom is huge which i love. a big bath tub and a shower. Coming from Asia, hotels there always have tea/coffee making facilities and complimentary tea bags and coffee in the room so that's lacking here but it's mostly something most American hotels lack anyway. The good thing is you can call the front desk to bring you items like a hair curling iron and bedroom slippers which I did and they promptly brought them to my room.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
We are happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel overall. We are always happy to deliver a coffee pot or tea kettle to your room, if you would prefer that.
Other trip Sep 26, 2014
Angela
Disappointed the spa and fitness were closed for construction and no one told me when I booked the room. Very small rooms.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
We are sorry, too. Due to some unforseen circumstances, the spa had to be closed due to the construction. It will not be in operation for a few months. The gym is back in service and we added all new equipment. Again, we are sorry it was not operational during your stay.
Other trip Sep 24, 2014
"great city hotel"
Recommend the theatres next door, great staff. Improvement potential : windows that open ;-)
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Yes, we are located right next door to the theatres. And I wish I knew what room you were in, because I thought all of our windows opened. I am sorry to hear yours did not.
Other trip Sep 22, 2014
Maria
"Very good hotel"
The hotel was very nice and clean. All the staff members were very helpful and polite. I highly recommend this place for your next visit to San Francisco
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Thank you for the five star review and for recommending us to your friends.
Other trip Sep 22, 2014
Dr G
"Beautiful hotel, terrible spa service"
The hotel restaurant was under construction, so had we known we would have jackhammer noise while in calls and meetings we would have booked elsewhere. The staff was polite and overall fantastic. We have been to other Hotel Monaco properties and spas that were perfect experiences, but this spa was also under construction so we had in room massages. This was the strangest, most uncomfortable massage. She didn't use much oil and kept pulling my skin, even after I told her it was uncomfortable and emphasized my skin was sensitive just so she would stop pulling. I left a message for the spa manager, who obviously wasn't concerned about returning my call, since the message was left 5 days ago.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
I am so sorry to hear about your spa experience. That is unacceptable and I hope you have received a call back from the spa manager. Overall, I am glad to hear you felt the hotel staff was fantastic.
2 night business trip Sep 14, 2014
Theresa
"Extremely Disappointed"
Booked this hotel 6 weeks in advance. Arrived to find that the spa and dining, including room service, key features being this was an anniversary trip, were not available because of construction. Our room was comfortable but noise pervaded, jack hammers during the day, waterpipes from other rooms and loud AC vents at night. There was also black mold in the shower. We requested another room the following day and got a quieter room at the other side of the hotel. The staff was courteous overall but not overly so considering the circumstances. I asked why they hadn't sent me an email in advance to let me know that 2 primary features of their 4 star hotel would not be accessible during my stay? They said they did send an email "one day in advance of your stay" to guests, but because I booked thru Expedia I was not included. I'm also a Kimpton Hotel member but they made it clear when we checked in that because we booked thru Expedia we would not be afforded any membership benefits (the rate we paid was no different). Extremely disappointed.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
I am very sorry to hear how disappointed you were in your anniversary trip here at our hotel. As soon as we were aware that we were closing down certain services, we tried to promote that information. We clearly were not able to get this information to as many people as we had hoped. Again, we are extremely sorry that your trip was such a disappointment.
Other trip Sep 21, 2014
Sean
Enjoyed our stay at reasonable price
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to book a room at a reasonable price.
2 night trip Sep 12, 2014
"Great hotel but wish the restaurant was open"
Great hotel with wonderful finishes and accommodative staff. Had to travel for food though as they renovate the restaurant which was a negative.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
We are sorry that our restaurant is closed for renovation at this time. Although, San Francisco is not a bad place to be if you want to have some great food. I hope we were able to offer you some good suggestions.
2 night trip Sep 9, 2014
"Needs a facelift"
I have stayed at the Monaco before and things have gone downhill. We got a junior suite that was small. There was a diaper in the garbage can. The restaurant is under construction and I was not aware of that, so no room service. The lobby staff was rude.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
I am very sorry to hear about your experience. This is definitely not the service level for which we strive.
2 night trip Sep 5, 2014
"Very Comfortable Stay"
We stayed here for two nights after camping, so we were happy to check in to this boutique hotel, get a shower and a good rest. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The style of the hotel is elegant vintage safari; a little kitsch but charming and fun. The staff was very helpful and courteous. The neighborhood location is central and great for seeing the sites. My favorite part of this hotel (besides the bed) was the 2 separate "living room" lobby areas with fluffy chairs, fireplaces, some books, and couches, just for lounging. There are also bicycles for guests to borrow and a complimentary wine happy hour from 5-6 everyday which was a nice touch (even though it was just Merlot and Chardonnay, I felt a little extra pampered). We never made it to the pastry and fruit spread in the morning (ends sharply at 9 am on weekdays, 10am on weekends) but they keep the coffee around in the lobby a little longer. The restaurant was closed for renovation and it was only on our last day that we were woken up by jack hammering, which was fine because we were checking out but that would have been bothersome had we stayed longer through construction. Be aware that valet parking is $50 but there are plenty of parking lots nearby for half the price. Also, I loved that they had real hair dryers in the bathroom, not those weak ones attached to the wall. I didn't use the bathrobes though, they seemed a little worn. I'd recommend this hotel over all.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Thank you for the overall recommendation. Yes, our valet parking is very expensive. It is actually $52/night +tax. And even more expensive if you have an oversized vehicle. We wish parking wasn't so expensive, but space is limited in the city. We are always happy to recommend other garages in the area, if you do not need valet.
2 night trip Aug 31, 2014
Camilla
"Wonderful except construction noise"
Our only complaint was the very very noisy construction going on in the restaurant. We did know ahead of time the restaurant was closed for remodel...the noise potential didn't occur to us and wasn't mentioned anywhere. Apparently ALL the double rooms are on the same side of the building as the restaurant. The first night we were on the third floor, and at 9 am the noise started to reverberate up like it was right under our room. (Yes, I know, who goes to San Fran and sleeps all morning, right? Comes from being out all night! Nightlife! The city, the lights, the people....hotel us right around the corner from a great dance club named Ruby Sky, btw). The hotel was nice enough to move us to the seventh floor for our second day. And on a Saturday the construction started later in the morning. But if I had still been asleep when it started, it would have woken me. Until construction is finished, I recommend avoiding the double rooms and getting one on the other side of the hotel. Everything else about the stay was wonderful.
2 night business trip Sep 4, 2014
Overall very good experience. The only thing was the size of the room. Quite small. The size of the bathroom was ok though. Also there were not any drawers or anywhere to put your clothes in the room.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Please do not hesitate to ask us to see other rooms. We are always happy to show you different options. Some of our rooms are smaller than others. And sometimes a different layout makes all the difference for people.
Other trip Sep 8, 2014
This hotel is in a great location. My brother and I shared a room and requested a room on a higher floor but was told they were all sold out. We got a ADA room on the 4th floor which was good because it was larger to accommodate ADA capabilities. However, the hotel should install double/triple pane windows because the lower floors are noisier with the Geary street traffic. That was the only down side of this 3 night stay. Although it seems as the last 2 Kimpton hotels I stayed at (NYC and SF) had construction going on during the day
Other trip Sep 7, 2014
"Absolutely amazing service!"
The staff at this hotel went above and beyond. They were so kind and amazing. The rooms are fun and the bed is cozy. The location is great because it's right near union square. I cannot recommend this hotel enough. I love what kimpton hotels does with old buildings. So well done.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Thank you for the five star review. I am happy to hear the staff went "above and beyond." We want everyone to feel comfortable and cared for and I am glad you felt that way with us.
1 night trip Aug 31, 2014
Shanon
Great location, Great staff. The only bad thing is parking prices.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Parking in San Francisco... Even those of us that live here constantly complain about it. With real estate prices so high, there is almost nowhere left to park cars. If you do not want to valet park with us, we are always happy to offer you suggestions for parking that may be cheaper. Just make sure to read the fine print.
Other trip Sep 5, 2014
Room as so tiny like shoes box...
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
I am sorry to hear you felt your room was the size of a shoe box. Always feel free to ask to look at some different rooms, if you think your room is too small.
2 night business trip Aug 30, 2014
sue
"Renovation work on restaurant."
Ave. SF hotel with small rooms and cramped bathrooms. Construction at the restaurant caused morning loud pounding noise.
Response by Hotel Monaco San Francisco, a Kimpton Hotel
Yikes. Average is not something we aspire to being. I am sorry to hear you felt that way. We are always looking for areas of improvement and we appreciate the feedback.
2 night romance trip Aug 29, 2014