All hotels in Philipsburg, Sint Maarten

Quite clean
    Decent vibe
    Room is all right
    Uncomfortable
"is it really all inclusive?"
everything we came to the hotel gor as far as activities, they didn't have available
1 night romance trip Feb 1, 2016
nazeer
"Excellent for holidays with the Family ,"
Hotel is very nice. Service is very slow, but usually this happens when is all inclusive. Food was good at breakfast & Lunch buffet (REally surprise) . Dinner buffet was not as I expected but the seafood restaurant is good.
2 night business trip Jan 13, 2016
adriana
"Not worth the distance as oppose to other hotels"
The hotel was too far and the service is not that great. More and better hotels near dock. Westin is best bet
1 night romance trip Jan 9, 2016
Not Provided
"Good time"
Staff was very helpful!! Some people said they were rude? I think if they are nice to people they would get a lot more help!!
5 night family trip Dec 26, 2015
ronald
"Perfect place for our honeymoon!"
We had a great view of the water from our balcony. The hotel staff was always smiling and helpful, especially James! The location is great if you want to visit the Boardwalk (10 minute walk on the beach or 5 minute cab ride) and you get to see all of the cruises dock each day. I would definitely stay again.
4 night romance trip Dec 15, 2015
Keeli
"beach"
The beach was right in front of us..perfect...the only thing was that when the maid came into clean we didn't get replacement towels until about 5:00...had to use hand towel to dry off as that was all they left us...two days of that. Before we took the room, I don't think they did a thorough job as there was all kinds of candy in bags that were left in the middle drawer of the desk...we just left them there. Hopefully, they clean that out for the next guests.
Other trip Oct 18, 2015
Debbie
"Below expected standards for Sonesta Brand"
I will give the pros and cons. Pros: Nice location -only a short walk to town, food was plentiful and mostly tasty, free parking, enjoyed chocolate fondue party. Pool with swim up bar was nice. Adult only resort. Inclusive food and drink. Cons: Upon arrival, told we could not have our requested room with king bed, could not get a towel from the swim area (asked 5 times in an hour and a half), and were told to move from our table after we were told by hostess we could site at any table in the buffet restaurant (table reserved for those with butler service). Most staff never smiled and were not friendly or helpful. The rooms were outdated with poor quality mattresses and sound barrier between rooms was awful. The cleaning solutions the staff used smelled awful and very strong. Advertised kayak option, but was told tandem kayak had been leaking since last storm. Two nights there was a band that played music from the 50-60's, some newer music would be nice so folks would dance. Few hotel activities and the staff weren't interested in getting folks involved in these activities. Not much to do at night. Not really 5 restaurants as advertised - 3 total (pizza, buffet and sit down restaurant which rotated names ). Restaurant service was very dependent on the staff assigned to your table.
Other trip Sep 15, 2015
"Close to beach and shopping"
It was the most amazing vacation we have ever had. You will not find a more friendlier staff and fun staff anywhere else... They made our stay amazing. Nigel the bartender was the best . we became best friends with him he has the biggest heart we love him he became part of our family and we will definitely be back
Other trip Aug 31, 2015
"St. Marteen experience"
The hotel needs to be updated and didn't offer too many activities during the day and at night everything was done by 11 pm. We have to find transportation and pay extra money in order to find some entertainment at night. The food at the buffet was fine, but not too many options. It is an adults only resort but it's too quiet and you don't really get to feel the Caribbean vibes and the St Marteen culture.
Other trip Aug 30, 2015
Monika
"Great time!"
The staff were great. The food at the buffet was good but the Pescetore restaurant was fantastic! I would highly recommend this resort to anyone. Spent a lot of time at the wonderful beach and the pool bar. Daily games such as bingo at the pool reminded me of being on a cruise. Casino was fun but some of the games were out of order or in need of some repair. Over all very happy with our 5 night stay. John H.
Other trip Aug 28, 2015
John H.
"Vacation @ Sonesta Great Bay Resort"
Recently, I stayed at the Great Bay Resort with my family - we actually stayed at the same hotel ten years ago. I paid for an ocean view room, they initially gave me a room on the 2nd floor - way in the corner you could barely see the ocean. I contacted the front desk and kindly requested to be moved to another room on the 4th floor or higher. They changed my room (7th floor) within fifteen minutes after speaking with the personnel at the front desk. The hotel rooms are extremely out dated, mattress was very uncomfortable, sheets were rough, old balcony furniture, etc. You would think after ten years, the owners would have made major renovations to their out dated property by now. In addition, the all-inclusive deal is really not worth the price, the food served during breakfast and lunch was the same every day! The dinner menu changed every other day and it was okay. Also, they tend to forget about guests on the beach - you have to get your own drinks or wait over an hour to be served a cocktail. The entertainment on the premises was alright, but nothing to rave about. One night they had a good female singer and guitar player, the other nights I could have fallen asleep in my seat! The hotel staff was nice on the days they didn't feel overwhelmed by the number of guests at the hotel. One of the bartenders didn't understand that red wine is not supposed to be served chilled! I had to provide him with a quick lesson about wine in general.
Other trip Aug 19, 2015
Lady "B"
"Beachfront hotel"
Rufini, Smiley, Patricia and Marcia were very nice and made our trip very nice. Infiniti pool and beach within steps to hotel was very nice. Enough beach chairs and umbrella when we went. A shuttle bus between Maho Beach and Sonesta Great Bay would be a nice touch..... Dinner at restaurant in the evenings was wonderful with a great view. Rooms are nice enough and oceanfront are the best. The views from your room overlooking the pool and ocean are awesome. We had a nice relaxing vacation here. Music needs to be mixed a little more.
Other trip Aug 12, 2015
Cuch
"Nice hotel with great location."
Everything great. Except for a misunderstanding the first day.
Other trip Aug 9, 2015
It's a great locations. Beautiful beach. The food was ok but not great. The drinks were ok but you had to wait a long time at the pool bar.
Other trip Aug 8, 2015
Rivera
"Really Best Hotel!"
As soon as we get there Edrick the bellman received us with a big smile, front desk staff nice, the room have the most beautifull and undescriptible view...no words!!! The staff from the bar (Akeem and Oral) the best actitud and services, Jonathan and Germaine from the restaurants were amaizing and very pleased!! Our housekeeping floor lady Mrs. Sherdone always with a smile and the room was clean and smell very good also the entired floor! We rent a car (infront of the hotel) and road the entired island!! Best Hotel...you were loved!
Other trip Aug 6, 2015
"Amazing !!!!!"
My husband and I stayed for 5 days We had an amazing time The room was clean , food was amazing The staff was great !!! If you are looking to go somewhere and you need a vacation from everyone , work , family , crazy New York . This is definitely the place
Other trip Aug 3, 2015
suada
"Wonderful Butler Staff and overall Experience!"
We had a wonderful stay at Sonesta Great Bay! We loved our Butler staff as they were so attentive to our needs. They alone made the trip! The hotel is not new by any means, but the staff, beach and proximity to Philipsburg make up for it! If you are looking for a quiet relaxing stay, with a wonderful beach...this would be a great pick! If you are even considering the Butler Suite... Book it! It is well worth every extra penny :) They are wonderful people that made any and all of our requests possible! From reserving lounge chairs on the beach, to booking our private island tour, to serving us dinner on the beach... The three of them were superb! We did spend some time at Sonesta Maho and though the nightlife was a little more lively and from what I could see the hotel was a little more modern, I would not trade the beach that is at Great Bay! Also, there are more people that stay at Maho so the dining staff has more people to serve and it takes a while longer to receive service, but at Great Bay we had no trouble and only smiles!
Other trip Aug 3, 2015
Erica
A great time in this facility and at the sister resort also.
Other trip Jul 15, 2015
jimmy
"Birthday Extravaganza"
The location and hotel staff are wonderful at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. Our particular room offered butler service (a perk that my husband and I had never experienced). We figured we'd go on our vacation and probably never take advantage of their services.....how wrong we were! They were so attentive and determined that this "milestone" birthday vacation was going to be over the top.The balance of what we needed and what they had to offer was perfect. We had a total of 4 different butlers throughout the week who knew our likes and preferences. Richard, Marcia, Jordaine and Gilberto gave us memories to last a lifetime. They were professional, but not in a stuffy way. The little surprises in our room at any given time were deeply appreciated-- from the drawn bubble bath to the towel sculptors on the bed each evening. On the actual day of my birthday, there were balloons at our breakfast table. A cabana was reserved for us at the pool and a special table was set up for a romantic, candlelit dinner right on the beach. I felt so undeserving of all this attention, but after all, it did take the sting out of turning 60! So if anyone out there is looking for an beautiful location with sparkling teal water, great food and a wonderful staff, this may be the place. I know for a fact that you will receive the same treatment from the staff, even if you do not have the butler service, because we witnessed how they treated ALL the guests at the resort.
Other trip Jun 23, 2015
Claire
"Great food/ nice hotel"
Very busy area/ stay away from phillipsburg/ run down and dirty/ shopping district hokey/ really liked French side of island better than Dutch / nicer/ cleaner/ sonesta is good resort but gets a little crazy in afternoon at bar pool
Other trip Jun 21, 2015
jg
"Felt Like Hone"
The staff of this hotel is beyond any traveler's expectation. The attention to each guest is primary and it shows. We travel frequently and although it is not the most luxe hotel that we have ever been to, it makes up in the warmth of the place. The food is good, the rooms immaculate but dated, the bathrooms new. The location is better than the other properties and the guests of the other Sonesta's were often at Great Bay. There was live music every night at the pool deck and I could see other people saying that there was not a lot to do at night, but we were fortunate and the guests this week were very friendly and the Texans got everyone up and dancing causing both older couples and honeymooners to all have a great time. I recommend this hotel for travelers that want a place where you really feel welcome and overlook the decor which in the scheme of things doesn't create a great experience. Next time I will upgrade the room for an ocean view.
Other trip Jun 19, 2015
Carolyn
"Nice Hotel Close to Beach"
I had a nice experience at this hotel. However, I was given an Ocean view room that had a damaged balcony glass panel that was not pleasing to the eye and hindered the enjoyment of using the balcony. I requested another Ocean view room and was advised that all the Ocean view rooms had been reserved. As they could not accommodate my request, I requested a complimentary message at the hotel spa which they granted. However, during my stay, I noticed the hotel appeared to be less than 50% full based on the number of hotel guests that I saw on the resort. Thus, it appeared to me the hotel was not sincere about not being able to move me to a different Ocean view room.
Other trip Jun 16, 2015
"HOTEL IMPROVEMENTS NEEDED"
My room was clean but it smelled like mildew. The room style was outdated. Along the poolside and beach at night, the grounds had a lot of rubbish,cups and plates left around. The music selection during the day was awful. A song was skipping for 10 mins before someone corrected it. Most of the staff was friendly and accommodating. The spa staff was great but the rooms were freezing. They should have warm blankets or heated tables. They need more entertainment shows at night besides karaoke. The location is great because you can walk into town along the beach. The food and drinks were great!
Other trip Jun 10, 2015
Kimberly
"Great vacation"
The best vacation I have ever taken. I never felt so pampered in my life. Thank you Sonesta!
Other trip Jun 2, 2015
"Our first Sonesta Hotel visit"
Upon arrival the room was not ready, however after a champagne welcome the room was ready within the hour. Staff was friendly and accomodating. We were given a restaurant schedule that was helpful. Beach towels availability was open early which was convenient for excursions. We wanted to book a fishing excursion but the captain was on vacation which was dissappointing. Others complained about the AC and a musty smell but our room was fine. All in all it was a nice stay. Kudos to the pool bar staff, they were excellent and the upstairs lobby bar.
Other trip May 30, 2015
"Honeymoon Vacation"
I was a little nervous based upon some reviews for what to expect but it was an amazing time. From right when you walk in the staff was friendly to the food was delicious and the pool bartenders were awesome! We did not have any bad experience here and want to stay here for our five year anniversary.
Other trip May 27, 2015
"Room with a view"
Marcie our butler was fabulous! Very attentive to everything we needed
Other trip May 22, 2015
"First timers, great honeymoon!!"
This was our first time in St. Maarten and we cam here for our honeymoon. Overall, we are very happy with our stay! The staff was great, everyone was very friendly and helpful. Especially the bartenders at the pool bar, we had tons of fun in the pool because of them! The amenities were great--several pools, a private beach, and nightly activities. And the food and drink options were amazing! Lots of options and we never had something we didn't like. There were a few activities advertised on the resort's website that we were looking forward to that the resort did not have, but they did not ruin our vacation. And within a 10 minute walk from the resort there is an awesome boardwalk and lots of shopping. Definitely worth taking a day away from the resort! But, we didn't leave the resort very much and we were never bored. It's right on the bay where the cruise ships come in, so that was something interesting to see! Our room--and the resort overall--is not overly luxurious, but it was definitely nice and especially for the price! Our room was spacious and comfortable and had everything we could need. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our honeymoon and would definitely recommend this resort to other couples looking for a getaway!!
Other trip May 17, 2015
"The good far outweighs the not so good"
This is the perfect vacation for anyone who wants relaxation with the option of being a little adventurous. My husband and I stayed for 4 nights at the Sonesta Great Bay and found our experience enjoyable from the minute we checked in. The staff was overall very pleasant, and even called a day into our trip to make sure everything was going well for us. The room was slightly dated and the bathroom floor didn't drain properly, but in the grand scheme of things we didn't spend a lot of time in the room anyway. Being a 10-15 minute walk from Philipsburg where the boardwalk is was perfect for us. Although we enjoy laying by the pool/beach and soaking up some rays, it was a nice walk down to the boardwalk to shop or even just to walk off breakfast or lunch. Food was good - although I wouldn't recommend getting adventurous with entrees or sides you're not familiar with. Stick with what you know and you'll be fine. The restaurant (Water's Edge) was actually our favorite meal. All food options (buffet, snack, and restaurants) have unobstructed views of the water. Beverage options were great - plenty of decent liquor choices, beer (Miller, Coors, or Heinekin), and wine in addition to non alcoholic choices.
Other trip May 13, 2015
Casey
"Nice Spot For A Honeymoon"
My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon. The hotel itself is a little dated, but the staff was awesome! Akeem, Nigel, and Raymond at the pool bar are great, they definitely keep the party going!
Other trip May 5, 2015
"Nice hotel!"
I recommend to stay at Sonesta Great Bay if you are planning to stay Dutch side. Nice hotel, food is good, personnel are very friendly and helpful. However, I recommend to stay Orient beach / French section. Water is beautiful and clear over there.
Other trip Apr 30, 2015
ashley3a
"Really nice great location"
Had an amazing time loved it didn't want to leave met the most amazing people and staff were all awesome
Other trip Apr 26, 2015
debbie
"Girls vacation"
Me and 3 of my girlfriends went for 5 nights. The staff throughout the resort were very good to all of us. Made us feel like princess's. Very friendly and helpful. The beach was beautiful. Getting into and out of the water was a task. We had to hold hands to keep from falling. We did fall many times, which gave us a laugh. The beach has rocky sand like I have never seen before. Many shells. The sand was hard to get off of you, but that's the sand, it did not keep me off of the beach. The bands we saw there were good, they had karaoke a few nights, although we did not sing, it was quite entertaining. The staff keeps you busy with many games to play. The food was very good at buffet and sit down dining. All restaurants were on the water with a wonderful breeze. I would definitely go back to this resort. You saw cruise ships dock daily to go to Phillipsburg, which is only a 10 minute walk. All was great there!
Other trip Apr 23, 2015
"Great experience!"
We stayed in Sonesta for our honeymoon in April. The arrival was nice, with a welcome champagne and quick check-in, even though we arrived two hours earlier. The room was good. Spacious and clean, furniture is kind of old. The ocean view was so perfect ( we stayed on the 2nd floor). The food was good, nothing out of this world, but there were always options to choose from. The pool area was nice and of course a swip-up bar was great! The beach was perfect! With a perfect view on the bay, mountains and cruise ships on the other side of the bay. We really enjoyed our visit at sister resort at Maho beach with a chance to take few pictures with landing planes. They have great pool area, but we couldn't find available umbrella on the beach... Almost all the employes are very nice and kind. We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend this resort!!!!
Other trip Apr 20, 2015
Toufic & Olga
"Just not worth it. Go elsewhere."
Please note - we are not complainers.. But you need to know NOT to book this property. Customer service was all but non-existent - it's a almost a joke. From the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out - no service. The saving grace of our trip was having rented a car and discovered this awesome island and its beaches and restaurants - awesome people and food abound! The food at this hotel was gross. We would wait 15 to 20 minutes at any given bar of theirs for a drink but always with a side of some type of attitude for no reason at all - and we are good tippers!!!! The staff is just not enjoying themselves. We purchased and ocean view king bed room and were put on the 1st floor with the view of the wall of the pool. We spoke with the front desk and were provided another room on a higher floor and the AC was out of service - we moved to another room and although there was hair on the lampshades (gross) and long hairs in the shower (yuck) we cleaned them ourselves and stayed. My sister was married at a Sonesta property and her wedding of 250 people was incredible from start to finish. Maybe it's just this property but it was the exact opposite experience here at Great Bay. They have major improvements to work on - stay away until they get their act together and stay somewhere else on this amazing island!!!!!
Other trip Apr 11, 2015
IslandLove
"Great getaway location"
Perfect "adults only" location. Beautiful beach, incredible food, and close to shopping and offsite activities. The only thing I felt lacking was evening activity and entertainment options. If the one offering did not appeal to you...that was it.
Other trip Apr 10, 2015
Vacationer
"Had a great time at Sonesta Great Bay"
We had a great time at Sonesta Great Bay. The views are amazing from the oceanview rooms. i do suggest oceanview or grand ocean view. Friendly and fun staff make your trip worthwhile. Rooms are pretty basic but clean. Food is great! Especially in the Pescatore Restaurant.
Other trip Apr 6, 2015
Bev
"Best location on the island."
On the ocean, walking distance to the city and cruise terminal across the bay.
Other trip Apr 6, 2015
Idar
"Absolutely awesome stay at the Sonesta Great Bay!!"
I cannot say enough about my experience at Sonesta Great Bay!! Awesome group of people that wait on you!!! Everyone is so helpful and cheerful!! Great rooms....overall amazing time!!! Food was delicious and the drinks were plentiful! Entertainment was great. Loved having it "adults only"!!!
Other trip Mar 28, 2015
Jonett
"Wonderful Experience at the Sonesta"
My daughter and I spent 6 days at the Sonesta Great Bay Hotel. Although the property is older, I very very satisfied with the condition of the property, room, grounds and amenities. The beach is just beautiful, as well as the infinity pool. I found the sand to be coarser (ground with tiny shells) than sand on other beaches in St. Maarten but not a big deal. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The food in the restaurants was very good quality and delicious. The drinks were plentiful, not watered down. The hotel even had servers walking on the beach taking drink orders all day! After dinner there usually was a live band playing music but on a whole it was very low key and quiet in the evenings. I loved my vacation to St. Maarten and would definitely return to the Sonesta Great Bay Hotel.
Other trip Mar 21, 2015
Judy
"Great Hotel best location on the island"
Would highly recommend this resort. Location is great, rooms where clean, Check in was fast, nightly entertainment was good, Food was good the sea food was great watch the chicken and steak they over cook them, The bars and bar staff was great. Over all the Resort is Great just remember know one is perfect. I will go back
Other trip Mar 12, 2015
"Surpassed my expectations!"
I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. The room we had was on the fourth floor and overlooked the water; the view from our terrace was magnificent. The food at the buffet and the two restaurants was excellent. We especially enjoyed the variety of food at the buffet. The drinks were also excellent, as was the wine. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. I will certainly be back!
Other trip Mar 11, 2015
Ellen
"Views views and more views"
From the moment we checked in to the moment we left we felt like we were in heaven... The only improvement I would suggest is to improve the nightly entertainment but this is a fantastic place to vacation!
Other trip Mar 9, 2015
"Great Friends Trip!"
Other trip Mar 4, 2015
Joyce
"Friends Trip was Fun!"
We stayed from 2/21 - 2/27 and had 9 people in our group. Pros: Check-in was pretty smooth and we were greeted with a cold towel and champagne. The resort was very clean, the beachfront location was perfect and the 10 minute walk to Philipsburg was very convenient. Food choices overall were good and the resort accommodated our group of 9 at one table whenever we asked. We enjoyed that this was a smaller more intimate adults only resort and we could find folks in our group without going on a massive search. Ladies really enjoyed the Serenity Spa massages and said they were wonderful. Cons: One couple had a room in another wing that was old and outdated but was moved to the oceanfront room they had paid for within a few hours. Another couple was disappointed that they had 2 beds instead of the king they had planned for. Both the waitstaff and the housekeeping staff seemed overworked and looked like they could've used more help. Some rooms were not cleaned on some of the days until much later in the day (after 4 pm) and when you want to come back from the day, rest and get cleaned up for dinner, that was inconvenient. The pool area was slippery so you really had to wear flip flops to keep from slipping. Although there was a water issue on the last day, it was resolved quickly in time for us all to shower before we had to leave for the airport. Some folks didn't like that you had to re-sign in to WiFi at times, but that's how they kept the speed up for guests that were using th
Other trip Mar 3, 2015
Joyce
The location was a plus. Beautiful view of the bay and enjoyed watching the cruise ships coming and leaving. Very convenient to walk downtown for shopping.
Other trip Mar 2, 2015
Tammy
lovely stay, enjoyed the nightly entertainment. also thought the food was good, with a large variety to choose from.
Other trip Mar 1, 2015
"rreal nice hotel friendly staff great food great"
excellent location can walk the beach to town, everyone friendly helpful beautiful beach nice clean rooms, great food
Other trip Mar 1, 2015
"Stay at Sonesta Bay"
The most wonderful thing about this resort is the views and the location. Was within a ten minute walk to Shopping area in Phillipsburg. Was great to see the different Cruise ships come in and out. The food was generally good, especially the breakfast. Some of the staff were excellent and a few not very helpful. Our room was seldom cleaned before 3:30. If you wanted ice there was only one icemaker on the 2nd Floor. Enjoyed the Casino. I would say the entertainment was good and the activities were good. All in all, I would stay here again if I went to St. Martins because it was such a beautiful and convenient location. Loved every moment of our stay.
Other trip Feb 28, 2015
Wonderful hotel everyone was helpful and friendly Food was great, a lot of choices, the deserts were to die for
6 night trip with friends Feb 15, 2015