All hotels in Berkeley, California, United States of America

Dirty
  • Value for money
    Poor value for money
"Disappointing"
The Claremont is being renovated and is a mess. This was not made clear when we booked our room. We've stayed there many times, and this was not the experience we were used to. Perhaps it will be returned to its former glory, or be even better, but until the renovations are completed, we really can't recommend it.
1 night business trip Oct 24, 2015
Craig
The Claremont Hotel is in a very lovely, walkable Berkeley neighborhood. The onsite health club offers daily Yoga, Pilates, spinning classes and very nice SPA accommodations too. I was there for 2 days before I even checked it out. Next visit, I'll get a list of classes as I check in because they were 8 and 9 AM start times and then throughout the day. The Health Club is separate from the more serene and peaceful SPA. I will stay here again. We asked for a renovated room as they were in process of remodeling.
3 night family trip Oct 16, 2015
Cecilia
"A Classic in Berkeley"
If you care about the old times, classic architecture, and good taste, you will enjoy this hotel! Spend some time at the Spa and bring your bathing suit and tennis racquet.
1 night business trip Oct 18, 2015
Veronica
"Great resort!"
Nice hotel & rooms but best part was the resort. Our kids loved it & did not want to ho anywhere else. The room itself was small and could hear noises from outside nut overall very good
Response by Claremont Club & Spa - A Fairmont Hotel
Our resort activities are certainly plentiful and it is understandable that your children didn’t want to go anywhere else! Thank you for joining us. We feature a variety of guest room styles and our team can always help you locate one that best suits your needs. We hope to see you again.
Other trip Oct 21, 2015
gloria
"Was a great hotel. Maybe again after construction"
We have stayed at the claremont for over 25 years and loved it's old charm, great staff and amenities. This week we booked a 3 night stay, arrived a day early so added another night. We were put in a room next to the elevator, ice machine was on the wall behind our headboard, air conditioner vent blows right down on the head of the bed (hello, catch a cold time). Out the windows - the roof with all the main unit air conditioner and vents (Not so much a problem with view) but, you can hear EVERYTHING ALL NIGHT! Worst night stay ever. Our original 3 night stay was booked into a larger room with a view... Very nice - no complaints - away from elevators and ice machines and air conditioner units. The renovation has removed some of the old world charm of the Claremont (disappointing to us). The reception attendants could use a little work on welcoming attitude and charm for people arriving for a stay. The staff at the spa and outside cafe - Superb - they deserve 5+ stars!!!
Response by Claremont Club & Spa - A Fairmont Hotel
While the beginning of your stay may have had some issues, we are glad that you were able to enjoy your overall encounter. Service should always be as excellent and we have let our team know of the concerns. Thank you for joining us for the past 25 years. We hope to see you for many more to come.
Other trip Oct 16, 2015
25 years
"Grand Old Hotel"
Remodeling is in process. We stayed in a remodeled room. Very modern…not really with the old ambiance Love the old bar and dining room…hope that doesn't change
Response by Claremont Club & Spa - A Fairmont Hotel
Thank you for joining us at our historic hotel. It is wonderful to know you enjoy the classic elements of our property. We do regret, however, if you encountered any sounds from outside your guest room and will let our management team know. It is our hope that you will visit again.
Other trip Oct 15, 2015
"excellent service through renovations"
Expedia may have mentioned they were going through construction, but I don't think it was clear enough because I wouldn't have booked it. They informed us at check-in that it would start at 8:30am, but after seeing that we didn't know, they comped our parking and our breakfast. The views from the room to the bay were unlike anything I've ever seen and the renovated room we stayed in we're top-notch. The pool is super kid friendly, with a lap pool and whirlpool. They also have a great fitness center. It feels like a country club. Super great experience despite the construction.
Other trip Oct 15, 2015
"Management needs to do their job"
The room wasn't cleaned properly / trash still in trash cans, dirty shower floor (in a newly renovated room!) dirty dresser top and one robe for 2 adults? Coffee cups etc left on tables in public areas from morning still there in the evening? Very poorly managed.
Response by Claremont Club & Spa - A Fairmont Hotel
Thank you for sharing feedback. It is important that our guests share all impressions of our hotel, positive or otherwise so that we have a chance to improve. We will let our Housekeeping team and management know of your concerns. It is our hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back.
Other trip Oct 5, 2015
Diana
"Great local getaway"
Perfect for a local staycation/parents 1 night getaway. Hotel is under renovation so expect a more seamless stay then. In the meantime, ask for one of the new rooms - they're great. Our kids met us in the morning for a fun day at the pool.
1 night romance trip Sep 6, 2015
Rachael
Athletic facilities the best. Better than Ritz!! My wife would be furious to pay $300+ and no bath tub!! Didn't bother me though. TV reception awful. You need HD, and you need cable for a top class hotel. Restaurant very good, but you need a "middle of the road" restaurant too. Parking guys were excellent. Poolside excellent. Gym the best.
2 night trip with friends Sep 18, 2015
Dean
"Not told hotel was under construction"
VERY DISAPPOINTED. HOTEL BELOW PAR. Rooms tiny. Couldn't get out of parking lot. Only one elevator working. Just a disaster! Very unhappy we stayed here. Should have been told hotel was under construction, then we would have booked somewhere else Will never return or trust EXPEDIA.
Response by Claremont Club & Spa - A Fairmont Hotel
We appreciate all feedback we receive but we must apologize if you were disappointed by our current renovation project or if you were not fully aware. It is never our intent for guests to feel misled. We hope you will give us a chance in the future to welcome you back.
Other trip Sep 15, 2015
"A nice getaway without leaving the Bay Area"
We enjoyed the Spa, had a massage and did a beginners yoga class on a getaway weekend. We had a great stay! The lobby was under construction, and the hotel has a funky layout with floors 7 - 9 below floors 1 - 6. The staff was friendly and helpful, but little things were a bit of a turn off like our room key didn't work the first time, wi-fi coverage would go in and out, and the tennis court lights stayed on late into the night obstructing our view of the SF city lights.
1 night romance trip Sep 7, 2015
Too many kids at the pool. Was jam packed full of them.
1 night romance trip Sep 7, 2015
Carey
"Nice hotel under renovation"
The hotel is under renovation, so it is hard to move around and there is a strange smell. I don't know if it always smells or maybe is the renovation.
3 night romance trip Sep 4, 2015
Kineret
"Sallie from Chicago"
This is a lovely hotel and conveniently situated in Berkeley, close to Oakland; it is in the process of being updated and renovated, which is needed. But they are managing the renovation well. The restaurant is great; the staff are terrific.
3 night family trip Sep 4, 2015
Sallie
We had a very short stay at the Claremont; just overnight. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating. Our room was newly renovated and very nice.
Response by Claremont Club & Spa - A Fairmont Hotel
We are delighted to know you appreciated our accommodating service and freshly renovated guest room space. It is regrettable, however, if you were troubled by any of our fees. Many guests make use of our full service valet to add value to their experience. We hope you will stay again. Thank you.
Other trip Sep 2, 2015
"Stately old hotel"
Nice old hotel will be nicer when the renovation is complete. Great amenity package.
1 night business trip Aug 30, 2015
"Poor stay, even worse customer service"
The Claremont is not very nice. It is currently under construction to hopefully remedy this problem....but our room was in one of the older parts. The entire floor smelled my soiled kitty litter. The room window was stuck open and we were right next to the giant air conditioner for the building that buzzed all night. The hotel pools/club were fine. I went to use the spa and my fiance's key wouldn't work for the room. I sent him a text to come meet me and grab the key from the Spa. The woman at the spa was incredibly rude to him, treated him like he didn't belong there, and lied to him that I wasn't in the women's spa. She had just helped me 20 minutes prior and of the 4 women in the spa I was the only woman under 70. There was clearly no confusion and very strong racist implications with the way he was treated. When I first checked in there was a person at the front desk arguing with a customer. The Valet tried to get someone to help me with my bags but of the 4 individuals just standing around watching the argument between the customer and the check in attendant, I ended up taking two separate trips two carry all of our bags to our room. When I was already at the elevator at the end of the second trip, a bell man spotted me and finally asked if he could help, but it was too late at that point. We love the neighborhood/location, but we will definitely not be staying at the Claremont ever again.
1 night romance trip Aug 30, 2015
Carrie
"Old and Tired - and noisy"
Too noisy, even at night due to the renovation. They have the generators going 24x7 so you can't escape the noise. Price was WAY too high, even for a quiet, fully renovated Claremont (which it is not).
1 night romance trip Aug 29, 2015
"So disappointing it became laughable"
We didn't know that the hotel was undergoing significant work during our stay, so until we arrived and saw the pardon our dust signs around, thought we'd be up for a nice stay. The people at check in were spectacularly vacant and unhelpful. Being woken up at 7:30 AM by a floor finisher over our head, also rather a shock. We knew we wouldn't be getting a view, but a view of the exhaust system outside our window was really something else. The signage throughout the hotel was not helpful, so finding our way to the pool/spa was an adventure. We didn't know we would be paying a $99 pet fee for our pet until after we had booked the room through hotels.com, so that was a bit of a shock, too. Ethernet cable was broken, 2 decaf coffees in our room and nothing else. I think the Claremont Hotel might hate us.
1 night business trip Aug 27, 2015
Katherina
The Hotel was very old. There was construction while we were there. The fitness center was awesome!
4 night family trip Aug 20, 2015
Alyson
"Great new rooms"
Had a remodeled room. Just beautiful.
1 night family trip Aug 25, 2015
Jean
"Wait till construction is finished before booking"
Very dated and drab.
2 night romance trip Aug 21, 2015
Arnon
"A Costly Mistake, An Absurd Vacation!"
Unfortunately, one of the two days of my stay was totally ruined, as I was going there to relax after a hectic three months' work with stage performances. The room was rather poor in amenities, no fridge, no special extra bed. The sofa bed was horrific with metals jutting out and the mattress was sunken, soft and old, and pillows poor, which gave me a head ache. A/C was not working, and construction was in full swing around the area. So every time we heard a thud we thought something was going to fall on our heads. It was a horrifying experience. When I complained they said they will put a fan, as they could not get the A/C to run because of construction. Phone was not working and each time we dialed it went to some other number. We insisted on a change, and they gave us a junior suite pretty late, the next night. We stayed there from about 5 pm to the next day at 12 check out. This room was good, with pretty good amenities, but no fridge. Unfortunately, I sank over $1000 for the two nights' stay and I could have had the luxury of my quiet home and gone to a spa elsewhere. With all these troubles, I sent my daughter to the spa treatment which cost over $500 but was rather poor. I will not recommend this hotel to anyone unless they want to throw money away and have a few aches after.
2 night family trip Aug 19, 2015
Vishal
"Loveliness in chaos!"
The hotel is in the middle of a complete renovation. That said, they have done EVERYTHING to make it more than ok. My room was absolutely fantastic, everything is new and fresh and beautiful AND so comfortable! The staff was outstanding. The Meritage restaurant was delicious.
Other trip Aug 26, 2015
Elaine
Unfortunately it was very poor. AC out in our room...never was cooler than 80 degrees in our room. Had to complain at front desk until a fan was offered...they forgot to mention to us they offered a $100 food credit and a complimentary bottle of wine for our inconvenience. We were very much looking forward to our stay but couldn't have been more disappointed!
2 night family trip Aug 14, 2015
Hotel is undergoing renovation. Hotels.com should alert you about these situations. The air conditioning didn't work in the room which was 80 degrees when I walked in at 10 pm. No lobby. It's a mess and I was told work will continue through The end of the year
1 night business trip Aug 19, 2015
eric
The hotel is old and being renovated. The air conditioner was out but they provided a 100. dollar credit voucher which we used in their dining facility.
3 night family trip Aug 16, 2015
Jan
"fabulous stay while hotel under renovation!"
Under the circumstance (a major renovation and air conditioning out during our stay) - we had a fabulous time. The staff more than made up for the slight inconveniences! You were so generous in every way - we're actually going to try to come again soon - regardless of minor inconveniences. We live in Davis and have stayed at the hotel many times. We always love it - thank you!
1 night romance trip Aug 15, 2015
Amy R
"Wonderful Week"
We were at the Claremont for 8 nights during their major renovation in the summer of 2015 yet we were hardly inconvenienced. It's a lovely facility with an excellent array of fitness classes from which to select. We aren't tennis players, but evidently, tennis is a major draw. We were visiting family in Rockridge (Oakland), and the location couldn't have been better. The bed could have been firmer, but otherwise, we were very satisfied. Breakfast by the pool was always good and staffed with a welcoming and competent staff (except for one day when it took a little more effort on our part to get what we had ordered). We would not hesitate to return.
Other trip Aug 10, 2015
Joan
"Construction NOT disclosed."
This was a Fairmont property and far below the service and communications I expected. There was construction going on which was inconvenient because the lobby was temporarily relocated, but the noise started bright and early and they thought that by leaving an apology letter on the desk that it would be ok? We were charged full rack rate and then we found out that two of the floors were already remodeled and we're going g for the same rate. We were never told that there was construction probably because they correctly figured we wouldn't have stayed there. This should always be disclosed and if anything an "inconvenience" rate should be given. Disappointed Fairmont President Club member!!!!
1 night family trip Aug 4, 2015
"Undergoing renovation"
Hotel is currently being renovated and we stayed in a newly renovated room , and it was wonderful. Theya re doing a great job- the furniture and finishes were top of the line , and the mattress was incredible. The hotel is very refined and when they are done I am sure it will be incredible. Food at the hotel restaurant was also very good.
Response by Claremont Club & Spa - A Fairmont Hotel
Thank you for letting us know your time at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa was so positive! We are indeed in the midst of a full renovation of our historic property to make things even better for our guests and we are delighted you enjoyed your guest room furnishings and comforts. We would love for you to come back again to see all of the exciting changes taking place.
Other trip Jul 31, 2015
"Fabulous experience"
Excellent concierge who helped us to find fantastic restaurants. Great experience even though they were in the middle of a huge remodel.
4 night romance trip Jul 15, 2015
"Under Renovation"
Hotel is under a much needed renovation. For the moment not worth the price but I should be up to standard by the end of the year. Beautiful location in the Oakland hills with an outstanding view of San Francisco
1 night business trip Jul 13, 2015
GREGORY
"in memory of my grandmother"
my grandmother loved to visit/ stay at the claremont. it is something that i have always wanted to do but could never afford in my earlier years, so i decided to just go for it.
Response by Claremont Club & Spa - A Fairmont Hotel
Our rich, romantic history is one that many of our guests can look back upon fondly! We are so glad you were able to join us to share in the memories of your grandmother. We hope you have a chance to come back again and take advantage of even more here at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. Thank you!
Other trip Jul 18, 2015
cori
"Excellent location"
excellent hotel. will always come back
1 night family trip Jul 8, 2015
Khahlil
It was great, we were just surprised that there was a $30 a day charge to park car. Also they are currently in the process of remodeling the front desk area. That was not stated in the hotel information. The hotel was still great and a lot of fun.
1 night romance trip Jul 11, 2015
Behzad
"Nice ammenities Old Hotel"
A very Old Hotel with very nice ammenities. To much noice because some rooms are under construction. We couldn't sleep as we want.
1 night romance trip Jul 11, 2015
"Love this hotel for 35 years !"
The hotel is being renovated but that has not di inished the excellent service, cleanliness and helpfulness/friendliness of the staff. Recommend !
2 night family trip Jul 9, 2015
LaRee
"Badly in need of refurbishment"
Badly in need of refurbishment. Room smells of sewage and mildew, the carpet is a little sticky and the couch is worn. The bed was nice though.
1 night romance trip Jul 8, 2015
"celebrating good life"
Wedding anniversary and visit with our grandchild was great
1 night family trip Jul 2, 2015
Rene
"Under construction"
Arrived to check in to find the lobby pictured on the website was boarded up. We had to walk around to a mall side entrance next to the valet booth. The view from our room was a garbage dumpster overflowing with trash. We were moved to a new room that was underneath ongoing construction. The next day the sounds of stomping, drills and some mysterious banging started after breakfast. Luckily we were only there one night. Please let travelers know when a hotel is under construction.
Response by Claremont Club & Spa - A Fairmont Hotel
Thank you for reaching out to us. As you have shared, we are in the process of a renovation of our property to enhance our historic property. We try our best to reach out to guests prior to their arrival on the restoration work, but apologize if the message was not conveyed. Our associates are working hard to minimize any impact this project has on our guests but we can understand your frustration. We hope that you have the chance to come back again to enjoy all of the wonderful updates later this year.
Other trip Jul 9, 2015
It is a lovely hotel, however, we were first given a room next to a service elevator which was really loud! Then they moved us to another room. It was quiet during the night but at 10am there was loud construction noise:(
2 night romance trip Jun 21, 2015
When we arrived in our room, it was not cleaned. There was a cigarette butt by the window.
Response by Claremont Club & Spa - A Fairmont Hotel
It is always our desire to provide clean, fresh accommodations for each guests. Please accept our apology if you found anything to the contrary upon check in. Your comments have been shared with our housekeeping team to ensure that all areas are thoroughly cared for. We hope you know that our team is always available to help with any issues during your stay. Thank you for your feedback.
Other trip Jul 6, 2015
"Great food, spa, and views!"
Visiting colleges with 17 year-old daughter, and the hotel spa was a real bonus for Some R and R. Hotel restaurant was also outstanding as were the views from the hotel. Will stay here again!
2 night family trip Jul 1, 2015
"So good."
Oh so lovely. Lucky me -- was upgraded to a suite. Wish I could have stayed longer to enjoy it. Great experience.
1 night business trip Jun 24, 2015
christine
"Great historical location, needs room renovation."
The Claremont is a beautiful hotel and has interesting history. However, the price is not appropriate for the quality of the room. The room was spacious with a king bed and sofa bed for the kids. The sofa bed was small and the mattress needed replaced and the bar in the middle of the back was quite annoying and in unbearable by morning. The carpeting by the small refrigerator was damp from some unknown source and the plumbing I. The bathroom leaked continuously. I felt that the price of the room was geared to the amenities of the hotel, not the quality of the room. The grounds, amenities and general location was amazing.
Response by Claremont Club & Spa - A Fairmont Hotel
It is truly disappointing to know that your stay did not reflect the high standards of service and accommodations guests have to come expect from us. Please accept our sincere apologies if you felt that our offerings at our historic hotel did not match our value. We are grateful for the feedback that you've providedand assure you that we have let our management team know of your concerns. We hope you'll allow us another opportunity to welcome you again.
Other trip Jun 30, 2015
D.
"Berkely's best kept secret"
This place is a delightful place. One know how to appreciate its beauty. Gym id fabulous!! Restaurants are ok, spa is a but outdated but still good. Can't wait to see how it will be aftetr the remodeling!
Response by Claremont Club & Spa - A Fairmont Hotel
We are so glad you’ve discovered The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa! The beauty of our historic property cannot be rivaled and we are glad you found it appealing and were able to make use of our fitness facilities. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back for another visit.
Other trip Jun 26, 2015
Rosie
"Excellent visit!"
Very high quality stay. The facility upgrades made to this historic hotel are excellent and more are in the works. The room, although older does not feel old. Comfortable bed! High end health club and spa. They have two lap swimming pools with an am Masters team in one that welcomes drop-ins. Great stay. Excellent value!
Response by Claremont Club & Spa - A Fairmont Hotel
We couldn’t be happier to read your feedback and learn of all that you enjoyed about your stay with us at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. At our historic property, we work hard to maintain our classic atmosphere while ensuring both comfort and convenience. Our Club and Spa facilities ensure that there is plenty to do while here. Thank you for sharing your comments and appreciation for our value. It is our hope that we have the chance to welcome you again.
Other trip Jun 25, 2015
"Recent 5 night stay at the Claremont Hotel"
My husband and I stayed for five nights at the beautiful & historical Claremont and that alone, was a treat! The rooms were somewhat outdated and needed some fix-up,( i.e.: broken shutter, chipped paint, old bathtub, too hot of water that couldn't be adjusted), but were clean & comfortable. The view, and surrounding neighborhood was lovely, walkable to nearby stores/restaurants. They are known for their tennis & swim club, and spa which is a private club to any paying local resident-if you don't play tennis or swim laps a lot-you get charged a usage fee that you don't use. We did not use the facilities once, but the relaxing surroundings, porches and restaurants make up for it. Very nice! The staff all around is lovely and very friendly. Maid service was excellent! Our only complaint was the taxi service. We requested a taxi to the ferry for SF and were put into a limo service that's contracted by the hotel and it was $59 to go a few miles. They claimed you couldn't get a taxi, not true! VERY high! We called the taxi service ourselves when we left for the airport and it was only $42 several miles. All in all-we had a lovely stay, just remember if you don't have a rental (overnight parking is very expensive!) to call your own taxi or you'll automatically get the limo service. The hotel front desk graciously handled our complaint and took care of the miscommunication with the limo service.
5 night romance trip Jun 17, 2015