All hotels in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States of America
535 Tchoupitoulas Street, New Orleans, LA, 70130, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"construction zone"
the hotel was being remodeled and we were not notified ahead of time.
Response by The Old No. 77 Hotel & Chandlery
Very sorry about that - we endeavor to make sure everyone knows we are in the final stages of our renovation. I'm sorry we didn't get that notification to you when you made your booking. I hope you'll come back and see us again so we can show off the finished product!
1 night family trip Mar 31, 2015
"Under construction and rough."
Hotel under construction. Filthy halls, dimly lit halls. Parking extra $30.00 a night. Decent location. OK if you only need a place to crash after doing the French Qtr. or casino.
2 night romance trip Apr 12, 2015
We enjoy the Hotel very much but the didn't have proper facilities for breakfast and no facilities of Restaurant. Nevertheless this will be corrected in the near future.
Response by The Old No. 77 Hotel & Chandlery
Thank you for the great review. Our restaurant will be fully open soon, including our coffee bar which will be offering breakfast options as well as really great coffee.
2 night family trip May 3, 2015
Ramon E
"No elevator service"
Hotel room was nice too bad we had to take the stairs for 2 days while the elevator was out. No apologies or concessions made. I am just glad I didnt get stuck on it. Other than that, renovations are ongoing and they start early avoid the first floor if possible. They did let me check in early so that was a plus.
Response by The Old No. 77 Hotel & Chandlery
Apologies about the elevator troubles - fortunately they have been repaired and are working fine.
1 night family trip May 5, 2015
Ronald
"Top notch"
Great location. Great (GREAT!) service. Great wifi. Cool hotel. More than satisfied. (We knew about the remodeling project on the first floor before we arrived)
2 night romance trip Apr 2, 2015
Nicholas
"Creepy"
The hotel was under renovation when we stayed. The room had just been painted so the fumes were still very strong. The overall feel of the room and decor was ugly and creepy. There was hardly any lighting in the halls. Our upstairs neighbors kept us awake.
1 night family trip Apr 9, 2015
Victoria
"NOLA"
Disappointed that restaurant was not available in hotel because of remodeling. Otherwise great stay
1 night business trip May 4, 2015
"below average"
part of the hotel is still under construction. ancient style so if u aren't the fan of ancient so don't choose this one. the hall way may freak u out by the low light. it has 2 sides. the elevator on the even side s never working. the room I stayed was bad conditions
2 night trip May 5, 2015
Remodeling and a name change was never mentioned during reservations. Would have stayed elsewhere.
3 night family trip Apr 30, 2015
"Totally enjoyable"
I found the staff exceptionally accommodating and friendly. The neighborhood is walkable and has great shops and restaurants while being close enough to the Quarter to get there but not so close as to be in thick of it.
1 night trip Apr 28, 2015
"Tales from a Tomb"
Solid day for a business trip. They were out of rooms with windows. It was a drag waking up after sunrise (assuming the sun actually came up) in a pitch dark room. My room didn't have a phone which I didn't notice until I wanted to check with the front desk to see if a package I was expecting had arrived. The front desk staff offered to send a phone up to the room. Overall, the room was decently appointed, modern and as comfortables as possible. I've stayed at this hotel before and would likely stay there again under the right circumstances.
4 night business trip Apr 27, 2015
"Decent hotel - soon to be better"
Stayed here at The Ambassador for business. Hip, boutique hotel, no frills type place under construction right now. It will be alot better once they finish their dining area. The only thing I missed was being able to order room service since they have no kitchens. The rooms aren't as soundproof as other hotels, maybe due to the hardwood floors and no carpet. The continental breakfast was bagels, muffins, cereal, bear claws and similar. The staff was very nice and probably some of the most courteous and helpful I've dealt with.
3 night business trip Apr 26, 2015
Trina
"Under construction, service not great"
Not great for business travel, no restaurant to meet colleagues in, still under construction. I asked fur directions to a restaurant, was given bad information. And I asked for a wake up call that never happened.
2 night business trip Apr 26, 2015
"Pre-Jazz Fest"
Had to deal with all of the construction which was a small hassle checking in. Ice machine on 3rd floor doesn't work which is unacceptable. Nice rooms but NO windows makes one to be claustrophobic. YIKES! Downtown parking is ALWAYS very expensive.
2 night business trip Apr 22, 2015
"No windows, really?"
Requested a room away from elevators, and they did meet my request, however i got a room with a window view to a brick wall, next to the service/rear exit door! So couldn't sleep but 2-3 hours before services started to deliver and all employees started getting in through that door. I guess you need to spend more than 200 dollars to get a view to the outside in NOLA.
2 night trip with friends Apr 24, 2015
"Shabby chique needs a bit of help."
Great given its under construction but not enough staff support and the front desk is poorly equipped. Also breakfast was not good. They could do a lot better.
1 night business trip Apr 24, 2015
Virginia
"Good bargain near French Quarter"
The hotel is old but rooms are remodeled in "industrial chic" style. The building is close to the French Quarter and other New Orleans attractions, so we were able to walk or take public transportation to most events. It was also a quieter part of town. Our room had no window so it was difficult at times to tell the time of day. The lobby was under construction so the walk to the elevator was down a dark hallway. The hotel staff was very helpful and professional. The Continental breakfast is not worth the walk down the dark hallway to find it.
6 night romance trip Apr 14, 2015
Margaret
"Old place needs change"
Its an old place trying to maintain the old look but at some point it needs to updated. The new lobby was under construction and that was good to see. Breakfast not acceptable but again due to construction. Floors in all rooms very noisy and I was afraid to bother the people below me. Great staff excellent customer service.
5 night business trip Apr 13, 2015
Allen
"Sid' stay"
Great place, better people!
1 night trip Apr 19, 2015
Sidney
"New to New Orleans"
I booked online not knowing anything about the hotel or really the location of events in NOLA. The hotel is finishing up a complete remodel; rooms are all done, but the lobby is closed off completely. It'll probably be nice when it's done. The room was small, I get larger rooms in NYC and pay the same price. The phone never worked though I reported it daily, ice machine on our floor was inoperable, had to go up a floor, to park the car was $32 per night and the fitness room was a joke. The room was clean and newly painted, TV was good, bathroom small be adequate, bed was good but I am not a fan of feather pillows. Staff was friendly and apologetic when necessary, never stuffy or arrogant. For the price I paid I would have thought I would have been closer to the French Quarter, but I didn't know that until now.
2 night business trip Apr 18, 2015
"Worth the Stay"
The Ambassador really accommodated my trip well and had everything I needed. I am recommending this hotel for friends who are coming into the city soon for vacations.
3 night romance trip Apr 17, 2015
Joshua
"kind of creepy but nice room"
I love the Ambassador but it is currently undergoing major renovations. The fabulous lobby and bar are closed and getting to our room felt more like navigating the corridors of a haunted house than a nice hotel. Rather appropriate for New Orleans but probably would have really put me off if it was my first stay. Room was clean, modern and comfortable.
1 night family trip Apr 15, 2015
"Ambassador"
Mt first impression was not good,Hotel under remodeling . But I am glad I stayed , aside from the work dust they did a good job of making do with construction work going on. The staff was good, the room was clean. It is not the Waldorf or Hyatt , but is a real southern hotel and I would stay there again. I believe once all this is done it will be the fine southern hotel it once was.
5 night business trip Apr 14, 2015
"Unhappy"
They have a long way to go to be an acceptable hotel, still under construction, maze like walk to get to rooms, hallway carpeting filthy, 1 bell hop/valet on duty most times. no coffee maker in room. We will not stay there again
2 night trip with friends Apr 17, 2015
"Beautiful Building and Rooms"
Entry and breakfast area were still under construction when we were there but the room was updated and great. Room was boutique still with wood floors and accents that made it feel unique to New Orleans. The night we stayed the construction crew had damaged something which made the room keys not work, so the hotel staff had to walk us to our room each time. This was only a minor inconvenience and I was very impressed with the professionalism and friendliness of the staff even though I'm sure this was stressful for them. We got a great rate on the room and were happy with it's location - short walk to French Quarter sites. The hotel parking didn't work for us because we were towing a uHaul trailer. We parked in the public parking which is just across the street from the hotel, but we had to pay for two spaces which cost $60! I was informed that 30 minutes of play at Harrah's Casino (also next to the parking lot) will give you 24 hours of free parking but I didn't look into that myself.
1 night family trip Mar 31, 2015
"Nice experience in NOLA"
The hotel is having major renovations. When we arrived, we were allowed to check in and the courteousness was amazing. The cleaning lady was incredible! The only drawbacks were the lack of electricity during one day of our stay (we were offered a tour of a distillery, but we don't drink), the walls are so thin you can hear everything happening outside your room, and the breakfast, you have to take it back to your room because the dinning room is renovating. Other than that, it was a good experience.
4 night business trip Apr 6, 2015
"Good Hotel Not Worth the Price Yet"
This is my second time at the Ambassador, but the first since they began renovating. The hotel is still a wonderful combination of modern and historic, but I do miss some of the more "rustic" touches, like the brass beds. The bathroom updates are wonderful and the hotel staff was, without exception, friendly, helpful, and welcoming. Every single person I dealt with was lovely, from the cleaning staff, to the bellmen, front desk, and even the engineer who changed out the room light. The rates have increased by about 300% as they move into a luxury hotel. BUT to charge those kinds of rates while still at work is ridiculous. Construction equipment, stained (hall) carpets, and musty smells do not match the new prices. Any hotel whose published rate is above $200/night needs both a Concierge and a restaurant. The Ambassador has neither. The "free" breakfast:coffee, muffins, bagels, etc. is not enough. One day the hotel will probably be worth those prices, but not today. The rooms are very clean and very nice. And one real shout out: the in-room coffee is actually very good, which is more than the Hilton and Marriott can say!
5 night business trip Mar 31, 2015
Jill
"Despite Construction"
Enjoyed stay, construction in progress but room was updated, clean & comfortable.
1 night trip Jan 10, 2015
"Can't wait to see it completed"
I give this rating because of the potential this hotel has. We had a great room that was very clean. I just hope the construction gets finished.
2 night family trip Apr 2, 2015
will
"Stay Away"
Construction! Hot, stinky lobby. Room key machine was broken, the only one bellman on duty had to walk each guest up to their room every time they wanted to get inside. Front desk made a carbon copy of my credit card because apparently that machine was down as well. Identity Theft risk. It was the worst hotel experience of my adult life.
1 night business trip Mar 31, 2015
"Could have been excellent."
Hotel undergoing construction. Temporary lobby and somewhat of a rabbit warren to get to room. Room was nice and appears to have been recently renovated. Biggest complaint, however, TV did not have sound. Despite repeated requests over three days, staff never fixed it. Very disappointing because NCAA basketball tourney was on late at night.
3 night business trip Mar 26, 2015
"Great staff, location and price!"
Great hotel management reflects how good the staff is. Justin at the front desk is how others should strive to be. Excellent location. Everything NOLA has to offer is in walking distance. Room was freshly remodeled. Free light continental breakfast was just ok. Hotel lobby & dining room are under reconstruction, so breakfast had to be carried back up to the room. Definitely look forward to returning when hotel is completely renovated.
1 night romance trip Mar 29, 2015
eric
"Good Experience"
The original room I was offered was not cleaned upon my arrival and it appeared as if the television was stolen by the last guest. This was immediately resolved and was given a new room. The Ambassador staff were super friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay again, perhaps when the renovations are over.
2 night business trip Mar 22, 2015
For my first overnight stay in NOLA for a conference, this was a great hotel to spend it in. Just on the outside of the busy French Quarter, this hotel was easily accessible (i.e., within walking distance) to all the excitement. Despite the first floor being currently under construction, it did not bother our stay whatsoever. The rooms were clean, trendy, and nicely furnished. In sum, I only have two complaints: a rude desk clerk and the awkward bathroom window. The door to the hotel bathroom was frosted glass. While nothing could be seen through it, the shadows of someone using the bathroom was odd.
2 night business trip Mar 26, 2015
"Not bad"
The only thing that griped me about my stay was that the hotel was under construction but that cannot be helped. Otherwise, the room was clean, the bed was nice and the front desk workers were friendly. I'd stay there again. Really close to a lot of downtown attractions.
Christopher
"Unexpectedly renovating!"
The actual room was really nice and represented well by pictures online. However, The entry and hallways were not. There was a temporary lobby and run down hallway with soggy dirty stained carpet that was a shock! I almost turned around and walked out. I am sure it will be nice when they are done, but it was definitely not what I was expecting.
3 night business trip Mar 22, 2015
"Great Beds, hotel was under construction"
Loved the room the bed was super comfortable and I got a great sleep every night. The room was a bit hot though and the AC unit was quite noisy. We switched rooms because the hotel was oversold and we had requested a double bed room, we ended up getting a king bed and sofa. My co-worker and I just shared the bed. The replacement was smaller and was not cleaned properly and we wished we had not moved. The outside was not so pretty and the construction made it feel a bit scary. The rooms were nice with the comfy beds. Great location to the convention center and everything else is in walking distance.
5 night business trip Mar 21, 2015
"Pass on this one"
This was perhaps one of the worst hotel stays I have ever had. I have to echo many of the comments here. I had no idea that the place was undergoing a total and complete renovation, and Hotels.com made no mention that this was happening. There is no lobby to speak of. There is one sign that says "Excuse The Dust!" After checking in, I was led down a maze of hallways (after having to step into a puddle in a very wet carpet) with no signage indicating the way out, with ugly blue hallway walls, and more dirty rugs. No restaurant, no bar, the 'breakfast' was on a small table in a hallway. Even at a discount, it was overpriced. The management made no concessions to try and mitigate the poor experience. The ambiance was that of a prison. At night, something made a continuous humming sound that woke me up at times; not sure if it was a water heater or an air conditioner. Location was great - it's near NOLA mass transportation and good restaurants. When I checked out, I was given a additional bill 0f $29.85 for the "Value Added Package". When I asked the person behind the desk about it, I got a curt "It was listed at the bottom of your receipt from Hotels.com" There is no value added here.
3 night business trip Mar 22, 2015
"Perfect location, great stay!"
The entire staff was amazing! Justin especially, went out of his way to make us feel welcome. Our room was freshly remodeled. The hotel is going through a lobby remodel though, so we had to take breakfast back up to our room. We are looking forward to our next trip to see and enjoy everything new. This hotel is perfectly located within walking distance of everything you will want to see and do in the Big Easy! We will definitely stay here again.
1 night romance trip Mar 25, 2015
"Construction nightmare"
It was under construction and the floor in the lobby was gross from a leak. Also they didn't service my room. Fire alarm went off many times during the day so don't try to take a nap.
3 night romance trip Mar 22, 2015
"Its okay..."
Hotel was currently undergoing renovations during my stay. Was a little confusing to navigate through hallways to find elevator. Breakfast was okay, it served its purpose. Was in a great location; within walking distance to serval restaurants, shopping and convention center.
4 night business trip Mar 21, 2015
"The bed is all your paying for..."
Granted the hotel is finishing a large renovation, they are obviously maximizing space as the lobby is tiny and the pathways are like a rat maze. The added 10/day charge but it's supposed to cover wifi, Yatta Yatta, and continental breakfast...well I went around the corner to find a bucket of coffee and some apples and oranges...yay! Right? If I was stranded on a ship and trying to prevent scurvy this would be great. Honestly in a city of food, they should either step it up or don't even make the motion. So in summary, decent place to use a bed, everything else lacks...and I think the staff knows it.
2 night family trip Mar 22, 2015
"Varying charges to my card on file!!!"
The rooms were nice, but the lobby and the rest of the hotel were in shambles. There was consistent puddle in the lobby hallway that we had to walk through everyday and most of the flooring was unfinished. I'd say my biggest complaint would be that the credit card I put on file with the hotel ended up with 5 pending charges of varying amounts that totaled over $900. When I asked what was going on, no one could answer me they just said to dispute it with the credit card company and watch for them to drop off after I left. As I was on vacation it out me into though of how many people out there could afford to have over $900 on hold during vacation!? I wouldn't go back just because of that!!!!
4 night trip with friends Mar 18, 2015
Rachel L
"Taste of New Orleans"
I booked this motel for a business trip and convenience to the convention center. The motel has a lot of history and is currently being renovated. The motel was a good value for the price however the construction workers began at 8:00am every morning and were quite noisy.
3 night business trip Feb 22, 2015
Galen
"Great place"
It was great!! Was there for my honeymoon and had a great stay. Only downside was it's under renovation but it is still great.
3 night romance trip Mar 16, 2015
Dustin
"NOLA fixer upper!"
We were there three nights. We had to be moved twice for various reasons. One was due to a water leak from the ceiling, We had to call for towels twice, both times was told truck did not arrive with fresh linens. Staff was excellent and tried real hard to make things better.
3 night romance trip Mar 14, 2015
Catherine
"Not worth 300.00 + a night"
Hotel in bad condition. In the process of remodel. Old and tired. They 359.00 per night was way over rated.
1 night family trip Mar 13, 2015
"Gross stain on duvet cover"
Room was extremely overpriced for what we got. There was no soap, shampoo, conditioner and/or lotion. Also, there was a giant stain (which looked like coffee) on the top of the duvet cover. Otherwise the room was fine, but not sure how housekeeping missed a stain the size of a truck tire and thought that was appropriate. Cleanliness is a key factor, and this hotel wasn't up to par.
1 night romance trip Mar 13, 2015
"Skip this one for sure."
We had no idea that this place was undergoing a total and complete renovation and thus was a nightmare. Hotels.com should also be held somewhat responsible in that no mention was made that this was happening. The hotel is not only trying to remodel but also intends to change it's name as we understand. At check-in and check-out, we were jammed in a small temporary room with too many people and ultimately led down a maze of hallways that we worried about with fire. The room was minimally cleaned, lights burned out, no restaurant, no bar, no lobby...it was the worst we've experienced in a long, long time.
2 night romance trip Mar 8, 2015
mike
"Could have been a lot better"
The hotel was under construction which is understandable but it was chaotic. The system was down and we could not check in for hours. The AC in one of the rooms didnt work and the hotel did not fix it for the entire 3 day stay
3 night trip with friends Mar 12, 2015