All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America

It is a quaint hotel. The staff was wonderful. I would definitely go back.
3 night romance trip Jun 21, 2015
Kimberly
"Three days in San Francisco"
Two couples in two rooms. Comfortable. Conveniently located for tourism.
3 night family trip Apr 10, 2015
Stephen A.
Nice rooms. A little small, and no place to sit except on the bed. Parking is listed at $35/night on the website, but is $46/night for anything bigger than a compact car.
3 night business trip Jun 15, 2015
"Truly a piece of pineapple hospitality!"
It definitely felt like a piece of the pineapple hospitality in the middle of San Francisco. It can be daunting outside of the hotel or getting to it because it borderlines Tenderloin- a neighborhood with high homeless population. However, they are harmless and non-violent and it's really fine as long as you don't bother them. Once you get over that fact, I couldn't WAIT to enjoy my room and comfy bed.
2 night business trip Jun 10, 2015
"Hotel California"
I stayed at Hotel California for business. The room was nice and it was comfortable.
5 night business trip Jun 7, 2015
"Historical SF, decadent linens!"
The staff was friendly, the hotel was beautiful. Some of the area around the hotel was a little more "inner city" than what we are used to seeing being from the suburbs. Lot of street noise into the night. Ear plugs were provided and appreciated. However, we were so tired from roaming SF all day that sleep came easy, especially with the amazing decadent linens. The sheets and individual duvets (for the king sized bed) were incredibly comfortable! The room and the hotel had the historical feel we were looking for. I should have asked if i could take a mug for a souvenir!!
1 night romance trip Jun 2, 2015
"meh"
boutique hotel. small rooms, small hallways, antique elevator broke down during our stay. thankfully we were on the 2nd floor. would have been nice to know the hotel was currently under construction. June 2015
1 night family trip Jun 4, 2015
Mason
"will stay here again."
It's a good location with theaters in walking distance. Desk staff are helpful with suggestions and directions. It was easy to get bikes and they were great. Small rooms but clean and comfortable.
1 night romance trip May 24, 2015
jowdy
"Pretty hotel with lots of personality"
I remember my recent trip to San Fran fondly and Hotel California is an integral part of it. It is an old building with wonderful character and a cheerful yellow pineapple theme. The room was clean and comfortable and those comfy duvets are a nice touch. The location on busy Geary St. is pretty convenient and felt relatively safe (although it is close to some distressed areas). You can easily walk to the fancy stores near Union Square, to Chinatown (maybe 7 or 8 blocks) or down to Market & Powell Sts. to catch a cable car to Fisherman's Wharf. The hotel staff were all very personable, especially the concierge, William, who directed us to some good restaurants and generally made us feel very welcome. I would definitely stay there again!
2 night business trip May 18, 2015
"Great stay -- would definitely go back!"
We stayed at Hotel California following another boutique hotel in the neighborhood -- and we were so pleased when we got there! The room was clean, covered in hardwood floors (so much cleaner than carpet!), had a ceiling fan, was in the heart of the neighborhood and walking distance from everything and had a very friendly staff. When we requested new towels, they arrived within minutes.
1 night family trip May 17, 2015
Kristin
"Good value for the price"
Comfortable enough, clean enough, neighborhood a little on the edge, but I felt ok. Friendly, nice people at the hotel, and conveniently close to Union Square, Convention Center, good restaurants. Right next to theater district and a great blues club.
4 night business trip May 3, 2015
Kathryn
"Wonderful"
I loved the Hotel California. Would stay again, great location and pleasant staff. Elevator is slow, but got the job done. Some street noise, but in a big city on a weekend I was OK with it.
1 night business trip May 2, 2015
"Decent Hotel but Dated"
Hotel was nice. Room was clean but showed signs of being dated like cracked bathroom tiles, chipped paint, broken shutter blinds and very few outlets. The neighborhood is OK, but travel too far into The Tenderloin (i.e. 1 block west) and it gets sketchy quick. Street is a bit loud at night but close to some nice restaurants and to Union Square. Overall, this is a decent hotel but dated. I'd stay here again but only at a reduced/special rate.
2 night romance trip Apr 17, 2015
"Great beds!"
The beds were absolutely amazing!! So comfy! A little pricey. Would have been nice if breakfast was included. The free bikes they had were great! We spent a whole day riding around the city!
3 night romance trip Apr 17, 2015
Lena
"May Be As Good As it Gets for Price?"
The hotel had a great feel and very comfortable night's rest. It is walking distance to Union Square, however this makes parking a nightmare and tourists an easy mark for the aggressive pan-handlers. We could have handed our keys over to a valet for a "meager" $41.00, however we chose to keep our keys and walk 6.5 blocks for a parking garage that doesn't charge extra for having a larger rental vehicle. We were hoping for complimentary bikes, however biking in San Francisco seems quite harrowing. For the price, I would have expected a continental breakfast, at least. Yet, the complimentary slippers, ear-plugs, in-room coffee (with real mugs), glass wine glasses and quality shampoo/conditioner/soap/lotion provided were a real treat. It would have been helpful to know that the hotel restaurant was a popular place to eat (packed when we left the hotel for dinner elsewhere). Instead, we schlepped several blocks that evening to get practically robbed by a nearby "jazz" restaurant. Needless to say, after spending $150 on an appetizer and 2 bottles of cheap wine, we made it back to the hotel and slept like rocks under our individual down comforters. It was a little slice of heaven in the midst of a town that virtually treated us like h*ll.
1 night romance trip Apr 8, 2015
Matthew
"Love love love hotel california"
We loved hotel Calofornia. The room was comfy and clean, the staff was very helpful, and the neighborhood was great. The hotel is close to everything, shopping dining, transportation. I would reconmend hotel california to anyone who's looking for a place to stay in san fransisco
4 night trip with friends Apr 4, 2015
"A VERY NICE STAY"
Just north of the Theater district on Geary, the location is great. The small staff was wonderful, including William the Bell/Doorman, who fetched us many a cab in our three night stay. A couple negatives: only one antique elevator; a high bed without a stool for my vertically challenged wife; the only restaurant was vegan, very popular, but not for us.
3 night romance trip Mar 23, 2015
Neal
"Great Place to Stay"
Loved it! This was a first time for me in San Francisco so I had no idea what to expect- but we can tell you this that I think we'll definitely be back and that was mainly in part of the hotel staff. The staff were very polite and respectful and they were always willing to help us with suggestions on where to eat, getting ice for us, and helping us print tickets to some of the attractions in the city. The only issue I had with the room was that I felt I couldn't really control the temperature in the room. There was a thermostat, but I didn't think it worked. But I was glad that it did have a ceiling fan- so it wasn't too bad.
3 night romance trip Mar 27, 2015
Jay
"Great San Fran Hotel"
Great hotel. In a really nice area of San Francisco. The hotel is steps away from Union square and all the buses and trolleys you need to get around the beautiful city. The room was very clean. Hotel staff was extremely helpful.. All in all a great experience at the hotel California
3 night trip Mar 25, 2015
Noah
"One night stay before half marathon"
Cute boutique hotel in downtown SF. It is loud because there are a lot of bars near the hotel, however, the hotel provides ear plugs! The bed was super comfy!
"Get what you pay for"
Great little room. Cute hotel.
1 night business trip Mar 26, 2015
"Cute California update!"
Cute old hotel that has been rennovated. Adorable decor in the bedroom with super comfy bed. Not sure if there is AC. Only downside is the noise outside on Geary. They provide ear plugs, but still woke up several times due to loud party goers and ambulance.
1 night business trip Mar 19, 2015
Charlotte
"Great room."
The room was beautiful. Clean and comfortable. Great bed. Super-soft towels. I thought the elevator was a little shbby so my first impression wasn't great but the room more than made up for it.
2 night trip Mar 20, 2015
"Surge pricing not worth it"
The bed was amazingly comfortable!! The hotel was fine really in all respects. I just happened to pay way too much for it- $300 for simple room with queen bed. If their rates where lower like $150 - $190 then it would be an easy choice. i do believe their rates are in that price range often. At that price, definitely recommended. At $300 -not recommended - you will feel jipped.
1 night business trip Mar 20, 2015
christine
"Great stay. Definitely recommend!"
The staff was great. Very attentive. The beds and rooms were very clean and overall the stay was quite nice. I would definitely recommend.
1 night business trip Mar 12, 2015
"Hotel California"
The rooms are small like every other old hotel in SF but for the most part they have made a strong effort to put out a nice product. The bed and bathroom were immaculate, no complaint. If you want to take an early morning or probably anytime shower you need to give it some time to warm up but then the shower was nice, clean, etc. The heater made vibrating noises when it ran and should be repaired or replaced. I heard some street noise but it wasn't obnoxious. They're doing some renovation, I hope the elevator is included, that's an old one but it does get the job done. I heard some street noise but it wasn't obnoxious. You're staying at an old hotel in SF, you can't expect not to hear some noise. Walking distance of numerous good restaurants. Parking as always a pain in SF whether you park with them or one of the other close lots.
Other trip Mar 15, 2015
"Not value for money."
The hotel is quite old. Though it is clean, there is just one lift and it is time consuming to use it. The noise outside is the major distraction and whole of night I couldn't sleep properly.
Other trip Mar 15, 2015
Mani
"Conveniently located"
Hotel California is conveniently located near bus routes and within walking distance of BART and the Asian Art Museum. The rooms are comfortable, staff is helpful and I would definitely stay here again.
5 night trip Mar 3, 2015
"Renovating hotel, good priced for SF"
Good location, but less than great surroundings. Hotel was clean, could use more seating in the lobby particularly as the lobby serves as foyer for restaurant. Pineapple muffins a nice idea, would have liked non frosted ones in the morning, too. Staff acceptable, but no one at desk some of the time.
3 night romance trip Mar 4, 2015
"Nice little hotel, friendly staff!"
I was really looking forward to my stay in the Hotel California after reading all of the reviews for this hotel. When I arrived the type of room I had booked was not available so I had to take a smaller room. The hotel did move me to the room type I booed the following day. Overall the rooms are a bit small and we did have trouble getting the windows to open the first night. Being an older hotel there is no AC and we like to sleep in a colder room. There were a few issues with my stay but the hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. I know the hotel is undergoing renovations and I look forward to the improvements. It was a great little property a short distance from Union Square.
2 night romance trip Mar 6, 2015
"Great Hotel very comfortable"
Staff is very friendly. Bikes were great. Neighborhood is on the fringe but I like the location and the Jones bar is right next door. I was right over the entrance and it was a little loud until late but I slept fine. Comfortable bed, great coffee and super value for San Fran. No air conditioning but great ceiling fans.
3 night family trip Mar 6, 2015
The hotel staff were all very friendly, helpful, I would totally stay there again.
Other trip Mar 10, 2015
Tiffany
"One nite was enough."
Room was clean and comfortable. No air conditioning so the windows had to be open. Unfortunately the hotel is on a very busy street in a popular late night hangout area. So our sleep was frequently interrupted. The hot water was a bit temperamental.
1 night romance trip Mar 6, 2015
"Good, affordable, close to the action"
I chose this as it was a cheap hotel, close to where I needed to be (Moscone), and I was only staying for 2 nights. It's an old hotel, in both good and bad senses. It has some olde worlde Californian charm, like the panelling, the elevator doors on each floor. But at the same time, it's a little worn and the fact that there's only one lift means that you can wait a while at peak times. I ended up taking the 5 flights down most of the time - no bad thing really. The room was clean but showed signs of age. Whether you find this charming or shabby may be a matter of taste. The area is fine, and a couple of blocks' walk quickly gets you into the shopping areas, restaurants, etc. It was disappointing that the bar closed early because it's part of the restaurant. There was a bar one block over called Rye that was fine for a nightcap though. The staff were very friendly and gave me good advice about the area (avoid the Tenderloin, apparently). All in all, for a couple of nights' stay where I was out for most of the day, the hotel was exactly what I needed - a clean, affordable hotel, in a safe neighbourhood, close to where I needed to be. If I was staying longer and expecting to go in and out several times a day, I might have chosen somewhere else. But it suited me for what I needed.
Other trip Mar 8, 2015
Shintaro
"Great choice"
Great location, very comfortable bed and pilows. We werr very satisfied.
3 night romance trip Feb 26, 2015
Javier
"treated very badly by management"
The staff was very polite, professional and helpful at checkin. There apparently was not a manager on duty at the time my daughter and I checked in and so when my daughter got her wallet and cel phone stolen we did not get the help I feel we should have gotten from a Manager. The police wanted the staff to review the cameras on site to help in the investigation and the manager refused to come in to make that happen. Only after pushing the issue he then stated that the camera were not working due to the construction. The problem with that was I had ask prior to what all was under construction and was told by the staff the remodel was confined to the upper floors and that was ripping out the carpet. When I spoke to the manager the next day he said that the camera would only show footage of the entree door. Then when I reminded him of his reasoning the night before he said well they are working. That was after I had ask the clerk at the front desk if there was any construction going on on the first floor and office and she said no only on the upper floors. When I confronted the manager on that and the fact that he contradicted himself, he said "are you blaming me for the wallet being stolen. I said of course not, but wondering why you weren't being honest about the cameras and at that point he got very aggressive. I don't think I have ever been treated so rudely by someone in a management position! I would never stay there again!
2 night family trip Mar 1, 2015
"Convenient location; quirky presence; 3.8 overall"
The Hotel's front desk staff was a hit or miss for me. Some were friendly; some were not. Housekeeping staff were extremely pleasant. The hotel was undergoing renovations and I found that the construction staff were rude but they won't be there for long. Hotel guest elevator needs to be replaced -- extremely slow and unreliable, not to mention it only holds four people. My room was very clean and overall it was quite comfortable however the windows are single paned and at night, as with most cities, it is extremely loud. Just me, perhaps, but I didn't sleep well because of the noise. The hotel does provide ear plugs, though. Overall, the room was clean, comfortable, and my stay was enjoyable but I would go along with other folks and rate them somewhere between a 3 and a 4. Since there is no air conditioning, travelers should be aware of the time of year they visit this hotel. It was fine for me.
Other trip Mar 4, 2015
gds
"A great hotel centrally located"
This hotel was fabulous! It was old but the room we stayed in had a newer feel. It was clean and the small touches they added (ear plugs, in room Keruig, 2 comforters, and the towels) made the place. It was centrally located to all SF attractions and/or public transit, the only complaint was the street noise was definitely there. Hence the ear plugs... I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The bar across the street was a fabulous dive!!!
Other trip Mar 2, 2015
"Parking is $40 per night . Not included in rate."
Hotel under construction, parking. 40 per night . Should be included in rate
Other trip Feb 28, 2015
sdc
No decent food close or in hotel. Hotel not close to decent dining, hotel restaurant is vegan.
Other trip Feb 28, 2015
"Rooms are small, major construction. VERY old."
when we arrived there was MAJOR construction going on with the building. The manager said it had been going on for weeks- they NEVER told us when we were booking it; which they should have. I specifically called a few days before to make sure the gym would be open and get the hours (this was an important reason why I booked this hotel) when I got there and got dressed to go find the gym as listed they told me "oh sorry we decided to close that too during renovations". The rooms are EXTREMELY SMALL. And the elevator is from 1800 and barely even worked on our last day, I felt very bad for anyone on a high floor. The only good service was the valet parking attendant who was nice and did his job efficiently (although it costs $40 a night to park) Overall save yourself the hassle, and stay somewhere else!!!
2 night business trip Feb 24, 2015
CARL
"Hotel California a pleasant escape from the cold."
My wife who has never been on the west coast, she was very pleased along with myself with Hotel California. The room was excellent, along with the caring staff. We were located close to all transportation. Easy walk also to local interested areas. The staff was very informative as to how to get around in a very busy city. If you like older hotels and what a pleasant stay, please consider The Hotel California
Other trip Feb 25, 2015
Allan
"Great experience"
Great hotel reasonable price. This hotel was very clean, you notice it the second you walk in from the lobby to your room, it has a fresh and clean smell. Overall very well maintained hotel, friendly staff and close to everything. Highly recommended, I would definitely stay at The Hotel California again. Thanks for a great hotel experience keep up the good work.
Other trip Feb 25, 2015
Mario
"reasonable"
When i first arrived i asked the woman if it was possible to pay to upgrade a room, she told me she had none available. when i went to the room it was very small and cramped and i had originally ordered a deluxe room. i was very dissapointed. also there was a big bug in the shower. i informed hotel staff and was promptly given a bigger room thanks to another hotel clerk. after that the stay was great
1 night business trip Feb 19, 2015
angela
"loud, but still relaxing"
I wouldnt suggest staying here on a weekend considering it sits across the street from a bar. It was incredibly loud outside well into the late hours of the night, but lucky for us we are heavy sleepers. Nice hotel though.
1 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015
Shane
"Nice People"
Can't beat the price for a nice little hotel in that neighborhood.
2 night romance trip Feb 16, 2015
Roger
"Our Weekend getaway"
Our stay was fabulous. We loved the room and everyone at the hotel were friendly & helpful. The only negative thing I could say is the cost of the nightly parking/valet.
3 night romance trip Feb 12, 2015
"Cute boutique hotel, small but cozy"
This hotel was conveniently located near plenty of restaurants, only a short walk from Union Square, and best of all, was a great price. The rooms are small but in a cozy kind of way where we didn't mind. The beds are incredibly comfortable and the pineapple cupcakes in the lobby were a nice treat. My only complaint is the slow elevator but we stayed on the second floor so the stairs were a nice alternative for us. Would definitely stay here again!
Other trip Feb 10, 2015
Ana
"SF GEM"
Good location, close to a lot of sights and sounds o SF. Price is great for a downtown SF hotel with the amenities received. Staff was great. Old elevator alittle slow, but no big deal. New renovations about to start will address that issue. We will definitely stay again.
1 night business trip Feb 2, 2015
cindy
"Nice little hotel near Moscone"
I think this is a great hotel in a great location. My only complaint was that the gym was closed during the on going renovation (February 2015).
3 night business trip Feb 2, 2015