All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
You can collect Welcome Rewards® nights here580 Geary St, San Francisco, CA, 94102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"May Be As Good As it Gets for Price?"
The hotel had a great feel and very comfortable night's rest. It is walking distance to Union Square, however this makes parking a nightmare and tourists an easy mark for the aggressive pan-handlers. We could have handed our keys over to a valet for a "meager" $41.00, however we chose to keep our keys and walk 6.5 blocks for a parking garage that doesn't charge extra for having a larger rental vehicle. We were hoping for complimentary bikes, however biking in San Francisco seems quite harrowing. For the price, I would have expected a continental breakfast, at least. Yet, the complimentary slippers, ear-plugs, in-room coffee (with real mugs), glass wine glasses and quality shampoo/conditioner/soap/lotion provided were a real treat. It would have been helpful to know that the hotel restaurant was a popular place to eat (packed when we left the hotel for dinner elsewhere). Instead, we schlepped several blocks that evening to get practically robbed by a nearby "jazz" restaurant. Needless to say, after spending $150 on an appetizer and 2 bottles of cheap wine, we made it back to the hotel and slept like rocks under our individual down comforters. It was a little slice of heaven in the midst of a town that virtually treated us like h*ll.
1 night romance trip Apr 8, 2015
Matthew
"Love love love hotel california"
We loved hotel Calofornia. The room was comfy and clean, the staff was very helpful, and the neighborhood was great. The hotel is close to everything, shopping dining, transportation. I would reconmend hotel california to anyone who's looking for a place to stay in san fransisco
4 night trip with friends Apr 4, 2015
"A VERY NICE STAY"
Just north of the Theater district on Geary, the location is great. The small staff was wonderful, including William the Bell/Doorman, who fetched us many a cab in our three night stay. A couple negatives: only one antique elevator; a high bed without a stool for my vertically challenged wife; the only restaurant was vegan, very popular, but not for us.
3 night romance trip Mar 23, 2015
Neal
"Great Place to Stay"
Loved it! This was a first time for me in San Francisco so I had no idea what to expect- but we can tell you this that I think we'll definitely be back and that was mainly in part of the hotel staff. The staff were very polite and respectful and they were always willing to help us with suggestions on where to eat, getting ice for us, and helping us print tickets to some of the attractions in the city. The only issue I had with the room was that I felt I couldn't really control the temperature in the room. There was a thermostat, but I didn't think it worked. But I was glad that it did have a ceiling fan- so it wasn't too bad.
3 night romance trip Mar 27, 2015
Jay
"Great San Fran Hotel"
Great hotel. In a really nice area of San Francisco. The hotel is steps away from Union square and all the buses and trolleys you need to get around the beautiful city. The room was very clean. Hotel staff was extremely helpful.. All in all a great experience at the hotel California
3 night trip Mar 25, 2015
Noah
"Get what you pay for"
Great little room. Cute hotel.
1 night business trip Mar 26, 2015
"Cute California update!"
Cute old hotel that has been rennovated. Adorable decor in the bedroom with super comfy bed. Not sure if there is AC. Only downside is the noise outside on Geary. They provide ear plugs, but still woke up several times due to loud party goers and ambulance.
1 night business trip Mar 19, 2015
Charlotte
"Great room."
The room was beautiful. Clean and comfortable. Great bed. Super-soft towels. I thought the elevator was a little shbby so my first impression wasn't great but the room more than made up for it.
2 night trip Mar 20, 2015
"Surge pricing not worth it"
The bed was amazingly comfortable!! The hotel was fine really in all respects. I just happened to pay way too much for it- $300 for simple room with queen bed. If their rates where lower like $150 - $190 then it would be an easy choice. i do believe their rates are in that price range often. At that price, definitely recommended. At $300 -not recommended - you will feel jipped.
1 night business trip Mar 20, 2015
christine
"Great stay. Definitely recommend!"
The staff was great. Very attentive. The beds and rooms were very clean and overall the stay was quite nice. I would definitely recommend.
1 night business trip Mar 12, 2015
"Conveniently located"
Hotel California is conveniently located near bus routes and within walking distance of BART and the Asian Art Museum. The rooms are comfortable, staff is helpful and I would definitely stay here again.
5 night trip Mar 3, 2015
"Renovating hotel, good priced for SF"
Good location, but less than great surroundings. Hotel was clean, could use more seating in the lobby particularly as the lobby serves as foyer for restaurant. Pineapple muffins a nice idea, would have liked non frosted ones in the morning, too. Staff acceptable, but no one at desk some of the time.
3 night romance trip Mar 4, 2015
"Nice little hotel, friendly staff!"
I was really looking forward to my stay in the Hotel California after reading all of the reviews for this hotel. When I arrived the type of room I had booked was not available so I had to take a smaller room. The hotel did move me to the room type I booed the following day. Overall the rooms are a bit small and we did have trouble getting the windows to open the first night. Being an older hotel there is no AC and we like to sleep in a colder room. There were a few issues with my stay but the hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. I know the hotel is undergoing renovations and I look forward to the improvements. It was a great little property a short distance from Union Square.
2 night romance trip Mar 6, 2015
"Great Hotel very comfortable"
Staff is very friendly. Bikes were great. Neighborhood is on the fringe but I like the location and the Jones bar is right next door. I was right over the entrance and it was a little loud until late but I slept fine. Comfortable bed, great coffee and super value for San Fran. No air conditioning but great ceiling fans.
3 night family trip Mar 6, 2015
"One nite was enough."
Room was clean and comfortable. No air conditioning so the windows had to be open. Unfortunately the hotel is on a very busy street in a popular late night hangout area. So our sleep was frequently interrupted. The hot water was a bit temperamental.
1 night romance trip Mar 6, 2015
"Great choice"
Great location, very comfortable bed and pilows. We werr very satisfied.
3 night romance trip Feb 26, 2015
Javier
"treated very badly by management"
The staff was very polite, professional and helpful at checkin. There apparently was not a manager on duty at the time my daughter and I checked in and so when my daughter got her wallet and cel phone stolen we did not get the help I feel we should have gotten from a Manager. The police wanted the staff to review the cameras on site to help in the investigation and the manager refused to come in to make that happen. Only after pushing the issue he then stated that the camera were not working due to the construction. The problem with that was I had ask prior to what all was under construction and was told by the staff the remodel was confined to the upper floors and that was ripping out the carpet. When I spoke to the manager the next day he said that the camera would only show footage of the entree door. Then when I reminded him of his reasoning the night before he said well they are working. That was after I had ask the clerk at the front desk if there was any construction going on on the first floor and office and she said no only on the upper floors. When I confronted the manager on that and the fact that he contradicted himself, he said "are you blaming me for the wallet being stolen. I said of course not, but wondering why you weren't being honest about the cameras and at that point he got very aggressive. I don't think I have ever been treated so rudely by someone in a management position! I would never stay there again!
2 night family trip Mar 1, 2015
"Rooms are small, major construction. VERY old."
when we arrived there was MAJOR construction going on with the building. The manager said it had been going on for weeks- they NEVER told us when we were booking it; which they should have. I specifically called a few days before to make sure the gym would be open and get the hours (this was an important reason why I booked this hotel) when I got there and got dressed to go find the gym as listed they told me "oh sorry we decided to close that too during renovations". The rooms are EXTREMELY SMALL. And the elevator is from 1800 and barely even worked on our last day, I felt very bad for anyone on a high floor. The only good service was the valet parking attendant who was nice and did his job efficiently (although it costs $40 a night to park) Overall save yourself the hassle, and stay somewhere else!!!
2 night business trip Feb 24, 2015
CARL
"reasonable"
When i first arrived i asked the woman if it was possible to pay to upgrade a room, she told me she had none available. when i went to the room it was very small and cramped and i had originally ordered a deluxe room. i was very dissapointed. also there was a big bug in the shower. i informed hotel staff and was promptly given a bigger room thanks to another hotel clerk. after that the stay was great
1 night business trip Feb 19, 2015
angela
"loud, but still relaxing"
I wouldnt suggest staying here on a weekend considering it sits across the street from a bar. It was incredibly loud outside well into the late hours of the night, but lucky for us we are heavy sleepers. Nice hotel though.
1 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015
Shane
"Nice People"
Can't beat the price for a nice little hotel in that neighborhood.
2 night romance trip Feb 16, 2015
Roger
"Our Weekend getaway"
Our stay was fabulous. We loved the room and everyone at the hotel were friendly & helpful. The only negative thing I could say is the cost of the nightly parking/valet.
3 night romance trip Feb 12, 2015
"SF GEM"
Good location, close to a lot of sights and sounds o SF. Price is great for a downtown SF hotel with the amenities received. Staff was great. Old elevator alittle slow, but no big deal. New renovations about to start will address that issue. We will definitely stay again.
1 night business trip Feb 2, 2015
cindy
"Nice little hotel near Moscone"
I think this is a great hotel in a great location. My only complaint was that the gym was closed during the on going renovation (February 2015).
3 night business trip Feb 2, 2015
Alexander
"A nice place to stay"
A very nice little boutique hotel just a few blocks from Union Square. It was clean and functional. As with most SF hotels it was loud, but earplugs were provided. All in all a great value. I'll be back!
1 night business trip Jan 21, 2015
"Good hotel in great location. Great value."
Nice and clean hotel in great San Fran location. Close to Theater district and tons of places to eat.
Other trip Jan 16, 2015
"Hotel California"
Neighborhood is a bit sketchy. Room was clean. Elevator is very old and slow. Try to get a room on a lower level so you can use the stairs.
4 night business trip Jan 5, 2015
"Excellent Choice"
Great cozy spot that makes you feel like it's a home away from home. I will definitely be back here when I visit SF.
4 night romance trip Jan 7, 2015
Dasul
"The Hotel is cute and old : )"
The Hotel is cute and old, but along with old there was an old elevator. Which took about ten minutes to call at times, so it is easier to just take the stairs. They do have a bell hop help you with your bags. Our room was awesome! It had a little refer. Not all do, I guess only select few that is why it is not listed. The bed it super comfy. The shower took awhile to get hot water again old hotel. This hotel at the very end of union square/nob hill. This area if "Okay". There is a lot more homeless people around and more dark allys and corners, but there is a lot places to eat in walking distances. All in all I would give it a 3.5 out 5
2 night business trip Jan 7, 2015
Anne
"Nice hotel. Very clean. The staffs are friendly."
I had a great experience staying at the hotel. The staffs are nice and friendly. The hotel and rooms are clean. I just wish the provided one big blanket instead of two small ones for the bed. Overall, i was satisfied with my stay at The Hotel California.
Other trip Jan 10, 2015
I highly recommend this hotel. Been to a fair amount of hotels, and this one is great. The bed is super comfortable, staff friendly and helpful. Only thing is they didn't have my room clean by the time I wanted to check in, it took them a while to figure it out, other than this little mishap, I was overall satisfied and will be back again!
1 night romance trip Dec 28, 2014
"Vintage Hotel"
We had a nice stay, three blocks from Union Square. The complementary pineapple cupcakes, infused water, coffee and tea in the afternoon were a nice touch. There was free wifi and free bottled water in our room. I liked the linens and European comforters. The staff was very nice and helpful, and helped us arrange an airport shuttle for our daughter's family. $45.00 cost. Next time I might try Uber. Parking was $35.00, but that is not a bad price in the city.
1 night romance trip Dec 30, 2014
Phil
"Great location!"
Cute hotel, thin walls
1 night romance trip Dec 29, 2014
"friendly stuff, clean but a little old facility"
The elevator does not work well, sometime I have to walk the stairs down for 5 floors. Room is clean but old. Need replace power outlet on lamp, I can not fit my Mac power charge into the plug
2 night trip with friends Dec 25, 2014
Wei
"A great place to stay in San Francisco."
My husband and I have stayed here several times over the past years and we always enjoy it. Very clean. quaint and wonderfully comfortable beds. This is one of my favorite places to stay. Oh and the Millennium Restaurant is connected and an amazing vegan dining experienced even for those of us that are eat meat.
1 night romance trip Dec 20, 2014
Debra
"Good place at reasonable price"
It was a quaint place. The staff was very helpful and friendly, but seemed a bit inexperienced. But very helpful. Room was intriguing. hand painted mural on ceiling. a view of Geary street. Needs a bit of updating, which I understand is scheduled for early next year. All in all, was good location, bed was comfy, wonderful towels; they even had robes and slippers if you needed them. I would return. Real short walk to Union square and lots of different kinds of places to eat nearby.
1 night romance trip Dec 12, 2014
"Not planning to go back there!"
I was very disappointed with this hotel for many reason. First it was very expensive for the poor accomodation and service offered. the lobby does not exist, the reception is in poor condition and the receptionists were not as nice as it is supposed to be. The whole location was smearing so bad. No intentions for doing this better although I think is related with the fact is a very old building. The location is not the expected. I was unable to sleep due some "couple fights" and screams from the street. finally the hotel does not offer breakfast
Other trip Dec 14, 2014
J.
"Hotel Cal !"
I was pleasantly surprised. Awesome old hotel with great historysnd ambience. On the verge of an iffy section of town but not anything that would stop me from coming back. Nice bar with cool vegan restaurant rooms are dated but workable at the rite rate a good hotel
1 night business trip Dec 8, 2014
"pricey basic old hotel"
This is an old hotel and the rooms showed it they were neat and clean but bare bones no frills what so ever in the room or the Hotel. The staff was friendly but it offered absolutely no amenities what so ever to the guests. the beds where comfortable but the bedding is unusual in its format they use and not really conducive to couples with the way it is set up each person has their own bedcoverings rather than being under one large covering it was just weird.
2 night romance trip Dec 5, 2014
Gregg
"If your looking for A CLOSE TO SAN FRAN DT"
Had a great time at the Hotel California in San Francisco. We needed somewhere that was close to the action, My wife and I enjoyed our stay and the rooms were perfect. We were able to walk to ChinaTown (5-7 Min) Union Square (5-7 min) even my gym 24 hour fitness was about 2 blocks away. For the price and location this beats out the busyness of a JW MARRIOT. Very quiet and not a lot of traffic, the parking garage next door gave me a great 3 day rate.....JUST PARK and walk it. If your expecting a penthouse this is the wrong place, but if you want the San Francisco Local Experience and like to stay at a vintage location THIS IS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Veery Friendly Staff, talk to Ricky the BellMan he knows his way around....VERY FRIENDLY and HELPFUL STAFF THUMBS UP, I would stay again...........................................
Other trip Dec 1, 2014
"My recent stay"
I love this hotel and it is so close to all kinds of shops. It is affordable and I love the cozyness of the room. The bed is so comfortable, towels are so soft, and they lend you a robe to. I willl be going back soon.
Other trip Nov 30, 2014
Maryann
"Good but expensive..."
It's in Downtown SF. Close enough to shopping centers and restaurants, but full of homeless people around the area, also when it gets dark the surrounding area becomes a bit scary. The hotel itself is ok. The room is small and the bathroom is too. Nothing like it was in the pictures. The staff is great though, super friendly. That's why I felt it was too expensive, I was expecting something a bit better for that price.
Other trip Nov 25, 2014
Kito
Good stay, small rooms and no breakfast but you should be getting out and enjoying the city anyway. Convenient to BART, MUNI and all sorts of attractions. I felt safe in the area and the people were nice and helpful.
Other trip Nov 24, 2014
"Convenient, but a bit small"
Great location, close to downtown and all the tasty ethnic bodegas by the Tenderloin. The rooms are pretty tiny and ours didn't have a nice view. The one complaint was that it took over 20 minutes to get our car from valet parking.
Other trip Nov 21, 2014
"Great value for the price,"
Located close to Union Square. Quaint, cozy room with free coffee and afternoon pineapple cupcakes. Would definitely stay again,
"Great location, great staff, great bed."
Great location and staff. Great beds. Location not the best for families.
We spent 5 nights at the hotel California. I will admit we were a little intimidated we Arrived . Getting there drive through a not so nice area but from the hotel on area was ok. We had no trouble getting to areas we wanted to visit . Staff was very helpful and friendly. Next visit we will definitely be going back to the hotel california
Other trip Nov 19, 2014
roxie
"Great Hotel for a quick Getaway"
The hotel is a great option for a quick getaway. Not luxury, but certainly comfortable, clean, and in a great location for the price! A few blocks from Union Square for shopping, Powell St. Cable Car, and delicious restaurant options. The room was very clean, up-kept every day, and no need to bring your own toiletries; everything is available there. Not your usual shampoo/conditioner/lotion bottles; full dispensers available for hand soap and lotion, as well as shampoo, conditioner, and body wash!! Also FREE Keurig coffee/tea, and water bottles. Will DEFINITELY stay here again. Parking note, if driving in to the city parking can be a hassle. The most inexpensive option is right next door to the hotel for overnight stays. Even the hotel recommended them over their valet.
2 night romance trip Nov 14, 2014
Lizelly
"San Francisco wedding weekend"
Great Location for a downtown wedding in San Fran. Close to everything we needed to be close to and on a street that has enough traffic and other hotels that it wasn't too sketchy to be walking back to the hotel at night. Room is small but cute and great for the price. I would definitely stay here again if I was planning on being in the city a lot during my visit as it is close to everything and very well maintained and clean.
4 night trip with friends Nov 7, 2014
"I can't wait to be back!"
Made the reservation on hotels.com, checking in was a breeze and the room was exactly like what I saw online. The hotel was also exactly like what you see online if not better. I couldn't be happier with my stay and I look forward to staying there again. Just like you'd expect a hotel to be it was very clean, a plus for me was how incredibly quite it was. No thin walls or doors. Everything is very private. Also, if I would have known, I would have brought my dog along too since they are so awesomely small to medium sized dog friendly. Not clear on the exact weight limit but I also didn't inquire on it.
1 night romance trip Nov 7, 2014