All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
580 Geary St, San Francisco, CA, 94102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

Service was average and if you are okay with staying in the center of the tenderloin district then enjoy!
4 night romance trip Aug 6, 2015
Gregory
"A Piece of 1642 Hospitality"
It was a decent option compared to the surrounding hotels. I was not aware of the remodeling be done but all in all it was worth the stay.
2 night romance trip Aug 5, 2015
Cody
"Overcharged my account again and again"
Had nothing but problems. I booked and paid for two separate rooms. When we got there they said they only had one room but it was a suite with two rooms in it (only one bathroom). Said there were no available rooms. Then suddenly came up with the second room as originally reserved and paid for. Then the hotel charged us for a third room in error. I have since had 6 unexplainable charges on my account that the hotel says they are reversing- so far each time a charge has been reversed a new one was added. Oh and when the valet brought the car to us it was the wrong one. (It was same make model and color- but newer- maybe I should have taken it!) Still fighting pending charges- The charge for the third room was also cheaper than I paid for the other two- maybe they owe me a refund on those also!
1 night family trip Jul 28, 2015
Be aware we payed almost $40 for parking a small car for one night. It took them 25 min to bring it in the morning. Literally next door, there is a garage that charges $25 per night taxes included.
1 night family trip Jul 26, 2015
Inma
"Hotel California"
The bed was very comfortable with a duvet for each person and very soft pillows. Fresh coffee in the lobby every morning and pineapple juice and pineapple mini cupcakes in the afternoon. Staff are exceptionally helpful and friendly.
5 night business trip Jul 18, 2015
"Comfortable stay, home away from home"
Overall, the pros outweighed the cons for us during out stay at the Hotel California and we found the experience quite pleasant and relaxing on our vacation. Our room definitely gave us a place to recharge between going out to explore the city for hours. Pros: Adorable room decor, feels like home Attentive staff and cleaning service Most restful and comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in- slept soundly for hours Softest towels around Complimentary coffee, bottled water Really effective make-up remover Easy to access Johnny Bahama shampoo, conditioner, body wash, soap, and lotion. The lotion was excellent! The mini-fridge was very convenient Great HDTV channels Comfy bathrobes and slippers Cons (not that bad): Really rough neighborhood Outdated facilities and building Sticky floors and door knobs- weird? Bad lighting Really loud street noise, but coming from a big city, we were used to it The coffee mugs they replaced each day weren't always clean I heard from previous reviews that they give you a tequila shot at check-in. This didn't happen. No breakfast place TV was angled at an awkward position from the bed All the outlets in the room were taken
3 night romance trip Jul 11, 2015
"A budget conscious choice"
The staff were very helpful. Compared to other hotels this was moderately priced but there are real compromises for this. The hotel lacks certain amenities and is in a dense, urban, noisy neighborhood. The lack of air conditioning is, certainly in the summer, a significant drawback. SF is reliably temperate but if the sun shines in the afternoon the room will heat up and the only way to cool it off is to open windows. The windows don't easily open and when they are open the street noise can be overpowering. Other than that the room was comfortable and nicely appointed.
1 night business trip Jul 14, 2015
"Thermostat doesn't do anything"
Room was in good condition and clean, and the bed unusually comfortable, but the thermostat did not work at all, so there was just a slow moving fan to circulate air. There were windows, but the neighborhood was too loud to leave them open. I'm fortunate it was a cool day so the temperature was bearable. If the thermostat had worked I would certainly recommend the hotel.
1 night business trip Jun 28, 2015
It is a quaint hotel. The staff was wonderful. I would definitely go back.
3 night romance trip Jun 21, 2015
Kimberly
"Three days in San Francisco"
Two couples in two rooms. Comfortable. Conveniently located for tourism.
3 night family trip Apr 10, 2015
Stephen A.
Nice rooms. A little small, and no place to sit except on the bed. Parking is listed at $35/night on the website, but is $46/night for anything bigger than a compact car.
3 night business trip Jun 15, 2015
"Truly a piece of pineapple hospitality!"
It definitely felt like a piece of the pineapple hospitality in the middle of San Francisco. It can be daunting outside of the hotel or getting to it because it borderlines Tenderloin- a neighborhood with high homeless population. However, they are harmless and non-violent and it's really fine as long as you don't bother them. Once you get over that fact, I couldn't WAIT to enjoy my room and comfy bed.
2 night business trip Jun 10, 2015
"Hotel California"
I stayed at Hotel California for business. The room was nice and it was comfortable.
5 night business trip Jun 7, 2015
"Historical SF, decadent linens!"
The staff was friendly, the hotel was beautiful. Some of the area around the hotel was a little more "inner city" than what we are used to seeing being from the suburbs. Lot of street noise into the night. Ear plugs were provided and appreciated. However, we were so tired from roaming SF all day that sleep came easy, especially with the amazing decadent linens. The sheets and individual duvets (for the king sized bed) were incredibly comfortable! The room and the hotel had the historical feel we were looking for. I should have asked if i could take a mug for a souvenir!!
1 night romance trip Jun 2, 2015
"meh"
boutique hotel. small rooms, small hallways, antique elevator broke down during our stay. thankfully we were on the 2nd floor. would have been nice to know the hotel was currently under construction. June 2015
1 night family trip Jun 4, 2015
Mason
"will stay here again."
It's a good location with theaters in walking distance. Desk staff are helpful with suggestions and directions. It was easy to get bikes and they were great. Small rooms but clean and comfortable.
1 night romance trip May 24, 2015
jowdy
"Pretty hotel with lots of personality"
I remember my recent trip to San Fran fondly and Hotel California is an integral part of it. It is an old building with wonderful character and a cheerful yellow pineapple theme. The room was clean and comfortable and those comfy duvets are a nice touch. The location on busy Geary St. is pretty convenient and felt relatively safe (although it is close to some distressed areas). You can easily walk to the fancy stores near Union Square, to Chinatown (maybe 7 or 8 blocks) or down to Market & Powell Sts. to catch a cable car to Fisherman's Wharf. The hotel staff were all very personable, especially the concierge, William, who directed us to some good restaurants and generally made us feel very welcome. I would definitely stay there again!
2 night business trip May 18, 2015
"Great staff"
Everyone was so helpful. The hotel is being renovated but it didn't bother us in the least. Rooms are smaller but it's what to expect in a historic San Fran hotel. Wonderful stay.
Other trip May 26, 2015
Kristy
"Decent location"
This was my first trip to San Francisco and I was not disappointed! The hotel was super affordable and located in a nice central area. Easy to get around and find places. Room was small but comfy! A good size for a couple :) Staff was super friendly and helpful! When we had questions about how to get certain places they were quick to help us out, point us in the right direction and they gave us a map which we ended up using the whole trip(5days). I would recommend this place to my friends and consider staying there again for sure!
Other trip May 25, 2015
Suzanne
"Great stay -- would definitely go back!"
We stayed at Hotel California following another boutique hotel in the neighborhood -- and we were so pleased when we got there! The room was clean, covered in hardwood floors (so much cleaner than carpet!), had a ceiling fan, was in the heart of the neighborhood and walking distance from everything and had a very friendly staff. When we requested new towels, they arrived within minutes.
1 night family trip May 17, 2015
Kristin
"Good value for the price"
Comfortable enough, clean enough, neighborhood a little on the edge, but I felt ok. Friendly, nice people at the hotel, and conveniently close to Union Square, Convention Center, good restaurants. Right next to theater district and a great blues club.
4 night business trip May 3, 2015
Kathryn
"Nice Hotel but in a Loud area :("
Traveling from NY and stayed for one night. The staff was lovely. The room was small, basically a bed and tv. Unfortunately it was loud. The staff was very loud at night. Two blocks of a not so nice neighborhood but like I said it was good for the 1 night stay. Would not go back for a vacation stay.
Other trip May 8, 2015
Nicole408
"Excellent value"
The hotel was undergoing renovations, which we knew about, the only reason we did not rate the facilities as excellent. The room was on a very very noisy street corner but otherwise our stay there was very good. Black out curtains would help, the renovated room was super cute with the shutters, but they don't block out the street lights at night. Clean room, friendly staff, good value, I would stay here again.
Other trip May 8, 2015
Jayme
"Wonderful"
I loved the Hotel California. Would stay again, great location and pleasant staff. Elevator is slow, but got the job done. Some street noise, but in a big city on a weekend I was OK with it.
1 night business trip May 2, 2015
"Best bargain hotel in Downtown SF."
Despite the amount of remodelling the hotel was clean and the staff friendly. The room had a nice amount of natural light. The downside was the late night noise in the neighborhood. If you stay there leave your windows closed but if you are looking for a quiet stay then Downtown SF isn't where you should stay.
Other trip May 4, 2015
"Decent Hotel but Dated"
Hotel was nice. Room was clean but showed signs of being dated like cracked bathroom tiles, chipped paint, broken shutter blinds and very few outlets. The neighborhood is OK, but travel too far into The Tenderloin (i.e. 1 block west) and it gets sketchy quick. Street is a bit loud at night but close to some nice restaurants and to Union Square. Overall, this is a decent hotel but dated. I'd stay here again but only at a reduced/special rate.
2 night romance trip Apr 17, 2015
"Great beds!"
The beds were absolutely amazing!! So comfy! A little pricey. Would have been nice if breakfast was included. The free bikes they had were great! We spent a whole day riding around the city!
3 night romance trip Apr 17, 2015
Lena
Great place with a great staff. I would recommend this to anyone.
Other trip Apr 25, 2015
"Nice hotel close to Union Square"
Nice hotel close to Union Square, high end shopping district and within walking distance to China Town, BART, and trolly station. Rooms are a bit small but comfortable.
Other trip Apr 24, 2015
Lori
"May Be As Good As it Gets for Price?"
The hotel had a great feel and very comfortable night's rest. It is walking distance to Union Square, however this makes parking a nightmare and tourists an easy mark for the aggressive pan-handlers. We could have handed our keys over to a valet for a "meager" $41.00, however we chose to keep our keys and walk 6.5 blocks for a parking garage that doesn't charge extra for having a larger rental vehicle. We were hoping for complimentary bikes, however biking in San Francisco seems quite harrowing. For the price, I would have expected a continental breakfast, at least. Yet, the complimentary slippers, ear-plugs, in-room coffee (with real mugs), glass wine glasses and quality shampoo/conditioner/soap/lotion provided were a real treat. It would have been helpful to know that the hotel restaurant was a popular place to eat (packed when we left the hotel for dinner elsewhere). Instead, we schlepped several blocks that evening to get practically robbed by a nearby "jazz" restaurant. Needless to say, after spending $150 on an appetizer and 2 bottles of cheap wine, we made it back to the hotel and slept like rocks under our individual down comforters. It was a little slice of heaven in the midst of a town that virtually treated us like h*ll.
1 night romance trip Apr 8, 2015
Matthew
"Love love love hotel california"
We loved hotel Calofornia. The room was comfy and clean, the staff was very helpful, and the neighborhood was great. The hotel is close to everything, shopping dining, transportation. I would reconmend hotel california to anyone who's looking for a place to stay in san fransisco
4 night trip with friends Apr 4, 2015
"Quirky cute hotel"
This place was very reasonably priced. It had a lot of personality. The room was nothing spectacular but was definitely kept clean. The area was not too far from a lot of cool spots in San Francisco.
Other trip Apr 10, 2015
Lauren
"Affordable optiom near Union Square, though noisy"
My only major complaint about the hotel is lack of any sound proofing. I understand some street noise coming from the city, but I was unable to sleep thoughout the 4 night stay. (In addition to excessive street noise, noise from other guest rooms was constant- talking, tvs, running water, footsteps overhead). We were on a face-paced sight seeing trip of the city, and a good night's sleep was important to us. Unfortunately, we were constantly awakened by considerable noise.
Other trip Apr 8, 2015
Kristin
"Pleasant room with maple wood floor, painting on"
Pleasant room with maple wood floor, hand-painted graphic ceiling, nice tiling in the bathroom, real wood furniture, a kuerig coffee maker, and plantation blinds. Situated next to a hipster hangout on the fringe of the re-gentrifying tenderloin, makes for an interesting mix of work and play. Close to Union Square and Bart, reasonable price.
Other trip Apr 8, 2015
"A VERY NICE STAY"
Just north of the Theater district on Geary, the location is great. The small staff was wonderful, including William the Bell/Doorman, who fetched us many a cab in our three night stay. A couple negatives: only one antique elevator; a high bed without a stool for my vertically challenged wife; the only restaurant was vegan, very popular, but not for us.
3 night romance trip Mar 23, 2015
Neal
"Great Place to Stay"
Loved it! This was a first time for me in San Francisco so I had no idea what to expect- but we can tell you this that I think we'll definitely be back and that was mainly in part of the hotel staff. The staff were very polite and respectful and they were always willing to help us with suggestions on where to eat, getting ice for us, and helping us print tickets to some of the attractions in the city. The only issue I had with the room was that I felt I couldn't really control the temperature in the room. There was a thermostat, but I didn't think it worked. But I was glad that it did have a ceiling fan- so it wasn't too bad.
3 night romance trip Mar 27, 2015
Jay
"Great San Fran Hotel"
Great hotel. In a really nice area of San Francisco. The hotel is steps away from Union square and all the buses and trolleys you need to get around the beautiful city. The room was very clean. Hotel staff was extremely helpful.. All in all a great experience at the hotel California
3 night trip Mar 25, 2015
Noah
"One night stay before half marathon"
Cute boutique hotel in downtown SF. It is loud because there are a lot of bars near the hotel, however, the hotel provides ear plugs! The bed was super comfy!
"Get what you pay for"
Great little room. Cute hotel.
1 night business trip Mar 26, 2015
"Cute California update!"
Cute old hotel that has been rennovated. Adorable decor in the bedroom with super comfy bed. Not sure if there is AC. Only downside is the noise outside on Geary. They provide ear plugs, but still woke up several times due to loud party goers and ambulance.
1 night business trip Mar 19, 2015
Charlotte
"Great room."
The room was beautiful. Clean and comfortable. Great bed. Super-soft towels. I thought the elevator was a little shbby so my first impression wasn't great but the room more than made up for it.
2 night trip Mar 20, 2015
"Surge pricing not worth it"
The bed was amazingly comfortable!! The hotel was fine really in all respects. I just happened to pay way too much for it- $300 for simple room with queen bed. If their rates where lower like $150 - $190 then it would be an easy choice. i do believe their rates are in that price range often. At that price, definitely recommended. At $300 -not recommended - you will feel jipped.
1 night business trip Mar 20, 2015
christine
"Great stay. Definitely recommend!"
The staff was great. Very attentive. The beds and rooms were very clean and overall the stay was quite nice. I would definitely recommend.
1 night business trip Mar 12, 2015
"Hotel California"
The rooms are small like every other old hotel in SF but for the most part they have made a strong effort to put out a nice product. The bed and bathroom were immaculate, no complaint. If you want to take an early morning or probably anytime shower you need to give it some time to warm up but then the shower was nice, clean, etc. The heater made vibrating noises when it ran and should be repaired or replaced. I heard some street noise but it wasn't obnoxious. They're doing some renovation, I hope the elevator is included, that's an old one but it does get the job done. I heard some street noise but it wasn't obnoxious. You're staying at an old hotel in SF, you can't expect not to hear some noise. Walking distance of numerous good restaurants. Parking as always a pain in SF whether you park with them or one of the other close lots.
Other trip Mar 15, 2015
"Not value for money."
The hotel is quite old. Though it is clean, there is just one lift and it is time consuming to use it. The noise outside is the major distraction and whole of night I couldn't sleep properly.
Other trip Mar 15, 2015
Mani
"Conveniently located"
Hotel California is conveniently located near bus routes and within walking distance of BART and the Asian Art Museum. The rooms are comfortable, staff is helpful and I would definitely stay here again.
5 night trip Mar 3, 2015
"Renovating hotel, good priced for SF"
Good location, but less than great surroundings. Hotel was clean, could use more seating in the lobby particularly as the lobby serves as foyer for restaurant. Pineapple muffins a nice idea, would have liked non frosted ones in the morning, too. Staff acceptable, but no one at desk some of the time.
3 night romance trip Mar 4, 2015
"Nice little hotel, friendly staff!"
I was really looking forward to my stay in the Hotel California after reading all of the reviews for this hotel. When I arrived the type of room I had booked was not available so I had to take a smaller room. The hotel did move me to the room type I booed the following day. Overall the rooms are a bit small and we did have trouble getting the windows to open the first night. Being an older hotel there is no AC and we like to sleep in a colder room. There were a few issues with my stay but the hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. I know the hotel is undergoing renovations and I look forward to the improvements. It was a great little property a short distance from Union Square.
2 night romance trip Mar 6, 2015
"Great Hotel very comfortable"
Staff is very friendly. Bikes were great. Neighborhood is on the fringe but I like the location and the Jones bar is right next door. I was right over the entrance and it was a little loud until late but I slept fine. Comfortable bed, great coffee and super value for San Fran. No air conditioning but great ceiling fans.
3 night family trip Mar 6, 2015
The hotel staff were all very friendly, helpful, I would totally stay there again.
Other trip Mar 10, 2015