All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
580 Geary St, San Francisco, CA, 94102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Nice little hotel, friendly staff!"
I was really looking forward to my stay in the Hotel California after reading all of the reviews for this hotel. When I arrived the type of room I had booked was not available so I had to take a smaller room. The hotel did move me to the room type I booed the following day. Overall the rooms are a bit small and we did have trouble getting the windows to open the first night. Being an older hotel there is no AC and we like to sleep in a colder room. There were a few issues with my stay but the hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. I know the hotel is undergoing renovations and I look forward to the improvements. It was a great little property a short distance from Union Square.
2 night romance trip Mar 6, 2015
"Great Hotel very comfortable"
Staff is very friendly. Bikes were great. Neighborhood is on the fringe but I like the location and the Jones bar is right next door. I was right over the entrance and it was a little loud until late but I slept fine. Comfortable bed, great coffee and super value for San Fran. No air conditioning but great ceiling fans.
3 night family trip Mar 6, 2015
The hotel staff were all very friendly, helpful, I would totally stay there again.
Other trip Mar 10, 2015
Tiffany
"One nite was enough."
Room was clean and comfortable. No air conditioning so the windows had to be open. Unfortunately the hotel is on a very busy street in a popular late night hangout area. So our sleep was frequently interrupted. The hot water was a bit temperamental.
1 night romance trip Mar 6, 2015
"Good, affordable, close to the action"
I chose this as it was a cheap hotel, close to where I needed to be (Moscone), and I was only staying for 2 nights. It's an old hotel, in both good and bad senses. It has some olde worlde Californian charm, like the panelling, the elevator doors on each floor. But at the same time, it's a little worn and the fact that there's only one lift means that you can wait a while at peak times. I ended up taking the 5 flights down most of the time - no bad thing really. The room was clean but showed signs of age. Whether you find this charming or shabby may be a matter of taste. The area is fine, and a couple of blocks' walk quickly gets you into the shopping areas, restaurants, etc. It was disappointing that the bar closed early because it's part of the restaurant. There was a bar one block over called Rye that was fine for a nightcap though. The staff were very friendly and gave me good advice about the area (avoid the Tenderloin, apparently). All in all, for a couple of nights' stay where I was out for most of the day, the hotel was exactly what I needed - a clean, affordable hotel, in a safe neighbourhood, close to where I needed to be. If I was staying longer and expecting to go in and out several times a day, I might have chosen somewhere else. But it suited me for what I needed.
Other trip Mar 8, 2015
Shintaro
"Great choice"
Great location, very comfortable bed and pilows. We werr very satisfied.
3 night romance trip Feb 26, 2015
Javier
"treated very badly by management"
The staff was very polite, professional and helpful at checkin. There apparently was not a manager on duty at the time my daughter and I checked in and so when my daughter got her wallet and cel phone stolen we did not get the help I feel we should have gotten from a Manager. The police wanted the staff to review the cameras on site to help in the investigation and the manager refused to come in to make that happen. Only after pushing the issue he then stated that the camera were not working due to the construction. The problem with that was I had ask prior to what all was under construction and was told by the staff the remodel was confined to the upper floors and that was ripping out the carpet. When I spoke to the manager the next day he said that the camera would only show footage of the entree door. Then when I reminded him of his reasoning the night before he said well they are working. That was after I had ask the clerk at the front desk if there was any construction going on on the first floor and office and she said no only on the upper floors. When I confronted the manager on that and the fact that he contradicted himself, he said "are you blaming me for the wallet being stolen. I said of course not, but wondering why you weren't being honest about the cameras and at that point he got very aggressive. I don't think I have ever been treated so rudely by someone in a management position! I would never stay there again!
2 night family trip Mar 1, 2015
"Convenient location; quirky presence; 3.8 overall"
The Hotel's front desk staff was a hit or miss for me. Some were friendly; some were not. Housekeeping staff were extremely pleasant. The hotel was undergoing renovations and I found that the construction staff were rude but they won't be there for long. Hotel guest elevator needs to be replaced -- extremely slow and unreliable, not to mention it only holds four people. My room was very clean and overall it was quite comfortable however the windows are single paned and at night, as with most cities, it is extremely loud. Just me, perhaps, but I didn't sleep well because of the noise. The hotel does provide ear plugs, though. Overall, the room was clean, comfortable, and my stay was enjoyable but I would go along with other folks and rate them somewhere between a 3 and a 4. Since there is no air conditioning, travelers should be aware of the time of year they visit this hotel. It was fine for me.
Other trip Mar 4, 2015
gds
"A great hotel centrally located"
This hotel was fabulous! It was old but the room we stayed in had a newer feel. It was clean and the small touches they added (ear plugs, in room Keruig, 2 comforters, and the towels) made the place. It was centrally located to all SF attractions and/or public transit, the only complaint was the street noise was definitely there. Hence the ear plugs... I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The bar across the street was a fabulous dive!!!
Other trip Mar 2, 2015
"Parking is $40 per night . Not included in rate."
Hotel under construction, parking. 40 per night . Should be included in rate
Other trip Feb 28, 2015
sdc
No decent food close or in hotel. Hotel not close to decent dining, hotel restaurant is vegan.
Other trip Feb 28, 2015
"Rooms are small, major construction. VERY old."
when we arrived there was MAJOR construction going on with the building. The manager said it had been going on for weeks- they NEVER told us when we were booking it; which they should have. I specifically called a few days before to make sure the gym would be open and get the hours (this was an important reason why I booked this hotel) when I got there and got dressed to go find the gym as listed they told me "oh sorry we decided to close that too during renovations". The rooms are EXTREMELY SMALL. And the elevator is from 1800 and barely even worked on our last day, I felt very bad for anyone on a high floor. The only good service was the valet parking attendant who was nice and did his job efficiently (although it costs $40 a night to park) Overall save yourself the hassle, and stay somewhere else!!!
2 night business trip Feb 24, 2015
CARL
"Hotel California a pleasant escape from the cold."
My wife who has never been on the west coast, she was very pleased along with myself with Hotel California. The room was excellent, along with the caring staff. We were located close to all transportation. Easy walk also to local interested areas. The staff was very informative as to how to get around in a very busy city. If you like older hotels and what a pleasant stay, please consider The Hotel California
Other trip Feb 25, 2015
Allan
"Great experience"
Great hotel reasonable price. This hotel was very clean, you notice it the second you walk in from the lobby to your room, it has a fresh and clean smell. Overall very well maintained hotel, friendly staff and close to everything. Highly recommended, I would definitely stay at The Hotel California again. Thanks for a great hotel experience keep up the good work.
Other trip Feb 25, 2015
Mario
"reasonable"
When i first arrived i asked the woman if it was possible to pay to upgrade a room, she told me she had none available. when i went to the room it was very small and cramped and i had originally ordered a deluxe room. i was very dissapointed. also there was a big bug in the shower. i informed hotel staff and was promptly given a bigger room thanks to another hotel clerk. after that the stay was great
1 night business trip Feb 19, 2015
angela
"loud, but still relaxing"
I wouldnt suggest staying here on a weekend considering it sits across the street from a bar. It was incredibly loud outside well into the late hours of the night, but lucky for us we are heavy sleepers. Nice hotel though.
1 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015
Shane
"Nice People"
Can't beat the price for a nice little hotel in that neighborhood.
2 night romance trip Feb 16, 2015
Roger
"Our Weekend getaway"
Our stay was fabulous. We loved the room and everyone at the hotel were friendly & helpful. The only negative thing I could say is the cost of the nightly parking/valet.
3 night romance trip Feb 12, 2015
"Cute boutique hotel, small but cozy"
This hotel was conveniently located near plenty of restaurants, only a short walk from Union Square, and best of all, was a great price. The rooms are small but in a cozy kind of way where we didn't mind. The beds are incredibly comfortable and the pineapple cupcakes in the lobby were a nice treat. My only complaint is the slow elevator but we stayed on the second floor so the stairs were a nice alternative for us. Would definitely stay here again!
Other trip Feb 10, 2015
Ana
"SF GEM"
Good location, close to a lot of sights and sounds o SF. Price is great for a downtown SF hotel with the amenities received. Staff was great. Old elevator alittle slow, but no big deal. New renovations about to start will address that issue. We will definitely stay again.
1 night business trip Feb 2, 2015
cindy
"Nice little hotel near Moscone"
I think this is a great hotel in a great location. My only complaint was that the gym was closed during the on going renovation (February 2015).
3 night business trip Feb 2, 2015
Alexander
"Good pineapple hospitality"
Staff was great. I had a nice stay room was clean and they helped me with places to see. Thx
Other trip Feb 8, 2015
"Comfortable, Affordable, and Great location!"
Check in was easy with pleasant staff. Some construction going on so elevator was a problem as it was being used by workers. The entire property is being updated, re-modeled, and renovated. The bed linens and bath towels were of exceptional quality! I recommend a booking in the "Sun Room" category. A bright corner location that included a small frig along with the Keurig coffee maker. The ceiling fan was quiet and kept the temperature comfortable. Another plus for this hotel was the water pressure. We have been in several other San Fran city properties where the shower barely flows.
Other trip Feb 7, 2015
Janeo
"Close to Union Square"
This hotel was good for the price. Very unique and has lots of character. The room and bathroom were tiny but there was enough space for me and my husband. We arrived on a Saturday night and we could hear a lot of noise from the street. Ice is located in the basement so you have to ask a staff member to get some for you.
Other trip Feb 6, 2015
Staycationer
"Recommend with Qualifications"
Great location. Older but nice enough especially for the price. Room very comfortable. Watch out for valet parking at $35 per night. I felt misled about the scarcity of parking garages nearby. There was one right next door. When challenged about this desk person said the other garage was not insured and the other nearby garage had inconvenient hours. Both of those options would have worked for me. Also, when I requested a repair of TV sound, I was left a note about which remote to use. The tech must not have checked out the sound long enough to notice that it went in and out and was scratchy all the time but worse when it faded. These problems weren't so bad that I wouldn't stay again especially for price and location.
Other trip Feb 3, 2015
julia
"Great old hotel in the heart of the city."
Loved staying at the hotel. The only issue we had was the light over the bed. We could not get the light to turn off and leave the fan running. Other than that, it was a great experience. I would stay there again.
Other trip Feb 2, 2015
Marty
Good experience. Kind of random location. Only walk towards Union square, not south. It gets real sketchy real quick. Other than that the hotel was quaint and overall it was a pleasant stay.
Other trip Feb 1, 2015
"The Tenderloin"
Not a great neighborhood but but the hotel was great. Clean quiet and comfortable.
Other trip Jan 30, 2015
"Great hotel and great location"
The hotel is a nice old fashion but up to date hotel. All of the employees are very friendly and helpful. Definitely would stay there again.
Other trip Jan 27, 2015
"A nice place to stay"
A very nice little boutique hotel just a few blocks from Union Square. It was clean and functional. As with most SF hotels it was loud, but earplugs were provided. All in all a great value. I'll be back!
1 night business trip Jan 21, 2015
"Very Nice"
I love this hotel the rooms are so comfortable and the bed is so soft. I love the towels, robe, and slippers they provide.
Other trip Jan 23, 2015
Maryann
"Good hotel in great location. Great value."
Nice and clean hotel in great San Fran location. Close to Theater district and tons of places to eat.
Other trip Jan 16, 2015
"Hotel California"
Neighborhood is a bit sketchy. Room was clean. Elevator is very old and slow. Try to get a room on a lower level so you can use the stairs.
4 night business trip Jan 5, 2015
"Excellent Choice"
Great cozy spot that makes you feel like it's a home away from home. I will definitely be back here when I visit SF.
4 night romance trip Jan 7, 2015
Dasul
"The Hotel is cute and old : )"
The Hotel is cute and old, but along with old there was an old elevator. Which took about ten minutes to call at times, so it is easier to just take the stairs. They do have a bell hop help you with your bags. Our room was awesome! It had a little refer. Not all do, I guess only select few that is why it is not listed. The bed it super comfy. The shower took awhile to get hot water again old hotel. This hotel at the very end of union square/nob hill. This area if "Okay". There is a lot more homeless people around and more dark allys and corners, but there is a lot places to eat in walking distances. All in all I would give it a 3.5 out 5
2 night business trip Jan 7, 2015
Anne
"Nice hotel. Very clean. The staffs are friendly."
I had a great experience staying at the hotel. The staffs are nice and friendly. The hotel and rooms are clean. I just wish the provided one big blanket instead of two small ones for the bed. Overall, i was satisfied with my stay at The Hotel California.
Other trip Jan 10, 2015
I highly recommend this hotel. Been to a fair amount of hotels, and this one is great. The bed is super comfortable, staff friendly and helpful. Only thing is they didn't have my room clean by the time I wanted to check in, it took them a while to figure it out, other than this little mishap, I was overall satisfied and will be back again!
1 night romance trip Dec 28, 2014
"Vintage Hotel"
We had a nice stay, three blocks from Union Square. The complementary pineapple cupcakes, infused water, coffee and tea in the afternoon were a nice touch. There was free wifi and free bottled water in our room. I liked the linens and European comforters. The staff was very nice and helpful, and helped us arrange an airport shuttle for our daughter's family. $45.00 cost. Next time I might try Uber. Parking was $35.00, but that is not a bad price in the city.
1 night romance trip Dec 30, 2014
Phil
"Great location!"
Cute hotel, thin walls
1 night romance trip Dec 29, 2014
"friendly stuff, clean but a little old facility"
The elevator does not work well, sometime I have to walk the stairs down for 5 floors. Room is clean but old. Need replace power outlet on lamp, I can not fit my Mac power charge into the plug
2 night trip with friends Dec 25, 2014
Wei
"A great place to stay in San Francisco."
My husband and I have stayed here several times over the past years and we always enjoy it. Very clean. quaint and wonderfully comfortable beds. This is one of my favorite places to stay. Oh and the Millennium Restaurant is connected and an amazing vegan dining experienced even for those of us that are eat meat.
1 night romance trip Dec 20, 2014
Debra
"Good place at reasonable price"
It was a quaint place. The staff was very helpful and friendly, but seemed a bit inexperienced. But very helpful. Room was intriguing. hand painted mural on ceiling. a view of Geary street. Needs a bit of updating, which I understand is scheduled for early next year. All in all, was good location, bed was comfy, wonderful towels; they even had robes and slippers if you needed them. I would return. Real short walk to Union square and lots of different kinds of places to eat nearby.
1 night romance trip Dec 12, 2014
"Not planning to go back there!"
I was very disappointed with this hotel for many reason. First it was very expensive for the poor accomodation and service offered. the lobby does not exist, the reception is in poor condition and the receptionists were not as nice as it is supposed to be. The whole location was smearing so bad. No intentions for doing this better although I think is related with the fact is a very old building. The location is not the expected. I was unable to sleep due some "couple fights" and screams from the street. finally the hotel does not offer breakfast
Other trip Dec 14, 2014
J.
"Hotel Cal !"
I was pleasantly surprised. Awesome old hotel with great historysnd ambience. On the verge of an iffy section of town but not anything that would stop me from coming back. Nice bar with cool vegan restaurant rooms are dated but workable at the rite rate a good hotel
1 night business trip Dec 8, 2014
"pricey basic old hotel"
This is an old hotel and the rooms showed it they were neat and clean but bare bones no frills what so ever in the room or the Hotel. The staff was friendly but it offered absolutely no amenities what so ever to the guests. the beds where comfortable but the bedding is unusual in its format they use and not really conducive to couples with the way it is set up each person has their own bedcoverings rather than being under one large covering it was just weird.
2 night romance trip Dec 5, 2014
Gregg
"If your looking for A CLOSE TO SAN FRAN DT"
Had a great time at the Hotel California in San Francisco. We needed somewhere that was close to the action, My wife and I enjoyed our stay and the rooms were perfect. We were able to walk to ChinaTown (5-7 Min) Union Square (5-7 min) even my gym 24 hour fitness was about 2 blocks away. For the price and location this beats out the busyness of a JW MARRIOT. Very quiet and not a lot of traffic, the parking garage next door gave me a great 3 day rate.....JUST PARK and walk it. If your expecting a penthouse this is the wrong place, but if you want the San Francisco Local Experience and like to stay at a vintage location THIS IS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Veery Friendly Staff, talk to Ricky the BellMan he knows his way around....VERY FRIENDLY and HELPFUL STAFF THUMBS UP, I would stay again...........................................
Other trip Dec 1, 2014
"My recent stay"
I love this hotel and it is so close to all kinds of shops. It is affordable and I love the cozyness of the room. The bed is so comfortable, towels are so soft, and they lend you a robe to. I willl be going back soon.
Other trip Nov 30, 2014
Maryann
"Good but expensive..."
It's in Downtown SF. Close enough to shopping centers and restaurants, but full of homeless people around the area, also when it gets dark the surrounding area becomes a bit scary. The hotel itself is ok. The room is small and the bathroom is too. Nothing like it was in the pictures. The staff is great though, super friendly. That's why I felt it was too expensive, I was expecting something a bit better for that price.
Other trip Nov 25, 2014
Kito
Good stay, small rooms and no breakfast but you should be getting out and enjoying the city anyway. Convenient to BART, MUNI and all sorts of attractions. I felt safe in the area and the people were nice and helpful.
Other trip Nov 24, 2014
"Convenient, but a bit small"
Great location, close to downtown and all the tasty ethnic bodegas by the Tenderloin. The rooms are pretty tiny and ours didn't have a nice view. The one complaint was that it took over 20 minutes to get our car from valet parking.
Other trip Nov 21, 2014