All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
580 Geary StSan FranciscoCA94102United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"reasonable"
When i first arrived i asked the woman if it was possible to pay to upgrade a room, she told me she had none available. when i went to the room it was very small and cramped and i had originally ordered a deluxe room. i was very dissapointed. also there was a big bug in the shower. i informed hotel staff and was promptly given a bigger room thanks to another hotel clerk. after that the stay was great
1 night business trip Feb 19, 2015
angela
"loud, but still relaxing"
I wouldnt suggest staying here on a weekend considering it sits across the street from a bar. It was incredibly loud outside well into the late hours of the night, but lucky for us we are heavy sleepers. Nice hotel though.
1 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015
Shane
"Nice People"
Can't beat the price for a nice little hotel in that neighborhood.
2 night romance trip Feb 16, 2015
Roger
"Our Weekend getaway"
Our stay was fabulous. We loved the room and everyone at the hotel were friendly & helpful. The only negative thing I could say is the cost of the nightly parking/valet.
3 night romance trip Feb 12, 2015
"SF GEM"
Good location, close to a lot of sights and sounds o SF. Price is great for a downtown SF hotel with the amenities received. Staff was great. Old elevator alittle slow, but no big deal. New renovations about to start will address that issue. We will definitely stay again.
1 night business trip Feb 2, 2015
cindy
"Nice little hotel near Moscone"
I think this is a great hotel in a great location. My only complaint was that the gym was closed during the on going renovation (February 2015).
3 night business trip Feb 2, 2015
Alexander
"A nice place to stay"
A very nice little boutique hotel just a few blocks from Union Square. It was clean and functional. As with most SF hotels it was loud, but earplugs were provided. All in all a great value. I'll be back!
1 night business trip Jan 21, 2015
"Hotel California"
Neighborhood is a bit sketchy. Room was clean. Elevator is very old and slow. Try to get a room on a lower level so you can use the stairs.
4 night business trip Jan 5, 2015
"Excellent Choice"
Great cozy spot that makes you feel like it's a home away from home. I will definitely be back here when I visit SF.
4 night romance trip Jan 7, 2015
Dasul
"The Hotel is cute and old : )"
The Hotel is cute and old, but along with old there was an old elevator. Which took about ten minutes to call at times, so it is easier to just take the stairs. They do have a bell hop help you with your bags. Our room was awesome! It had a little refer. Not all do, I guess only select few that is why it is not listed. The bed it super comfy. The shower took awhile to get hot water again old hotel. This hotel at the very end of union square/nob hill. This area if "Okay". There is a lot more homeless people around and more dark allys and corners, but there is a lot places to eat in walking distances. All in all I would give it a 3.5 out 5
2 night business trip Jan 7, 2015
Anne
I highly recommend this hotel. Been to a fair amount of hotels, and this one is great. The bed is super comfortable, staff friendly and helpful. Only thing is they didn't have my room clean by the time I wanted to check in, it took them a while to figure it out, other than this little mishap, I was overall satisfied and will be back again!
1 night romance trip Dec 28, 2014
"Vintage Hotel"
We had a nice stay, three blocks from Union Square. The complementary pineapple cupcakes, infused water, coffee and tea in the afternoon were a nice touch. There was free wifi and free bottled water in our room. I liked the linens and European comforters. The staff was very nice and helpful, and helped us arrange an airport shuttle for our daughter's family. $45.00 cost. Next time I might try Uber. Parking was $35.00, but that is not a bad price in the city.
1 night romance trip Dec 30, 2014
Phil
"Great location!"
Cute hotel, thin walls
1 night romance trip Dec 29, 2014
"friendly stuff, clean but a little old facility"
The elevator does not work well, sometime I have to walk the stairs down for 5 floors. Room is clean but old. Need replace power outlet on lamp, I can not fit my Mac power charge into the plug
2 night trip with friends Dec 25, 2014
Wei
"A great place to stay in San Francisco."
My husband and I have stayed here several times over the past years and we always enjoy it. Very clean. quaint and wonderfully comfortable beds. This is one of my favorite places to stay. Oh and the Millennium Restaurant is connected and an amazing vegan dining experienced even for those of us that are eat meat.
1 night romance trip Dec 20, 2014
Debra
"Good place at reasonable price"
It was a quaint place. The staff was very helpful and friendly, but seemed a bit inexperienced. But very helpful. Room was intriguing. hand painted mural on ceiling. a view of Geary street. Needs a bit of updating, which I understand is scheduled for early next year. All in all, was good location, bed was comfy, wonderful towels; they even had robes and slippers if you needed them. I would return. Real short walk to Union square and lots of different kinds of places to eat nearby.
1 night romance trip Dec 12, 2014
"Hotel Cal !"
I was pleasantly surprised. Awesome old hotel with great historysnd ambience. On the verge of an iffy section of town but not anything that would stop me from coming back. Nice bar with cool vegan restaurant rooms are dated but workable at the rite rate a good hotel
1 night business trip Dec 8, 2014
"pricey basic old hotel"
This is an old hotel and the rooms showed it they were neat and clean but bare bones no frills what so ever in the room or the Hotel. The staff was friendly but it offered absolutely no amenities what so ever to the guests. the beds where comfortable but the bedding is unusual in its format they use and not really conducive to couples with the way it is set up each person has their own bedcoverings rather than being under one large covering it was just weird.
2 night romance trip Dec 5, 2014
Gregg
"Great Hotel for a quick Getaway"
The hotel is a great option for a quick getaway. Not luxury, but certainly comfortable, clean, and in a great location for the price! A few blocks from Union Square for shopping, Powell St. Cable Car, and delicious restaurant options. The room was very clean, up-kept every day, and no need to bring your own toiletries; everything is available there. Not your usual shampoo/conditioner/lotion bottles; full dispensers available for hand soap and lotion, as well as shampoo, conditioner, and body wash!! Also FREE Keurig coffee/tea, and water bottles. Will DEFINITELY stay here again. Parking note, if driving in to the city parking can be a hassle. The most inexpensive option is right next door to the hotel for overnight stays. Even the hotel recommended them over their valet.
2 night romance trip Nov 14, 2014
Lizelly
"San Francisco wedding weekend"
Great Location for a downtown wedding in San Fran. Close to everything we needed to be close to and on a street that has enough traffic and other hotels that it wasn't too sketchy to be walking back to the hotel at night. Room is small but cute and great for the price. I would definitely stay here again if I was planning on being in the city a lot during my visit as it is close to everything and very well maintained and clean.
4 night trip with friends Nov 7, 2014
"I can't wait to be back!"
Made the reservation on hotels.com, checking in was a breeze and the room was exactly like what I saw online. The hotel was also exactly like what you see online if not better. I couldn't be happier with my stay and I look forward to staying there again. Just like you'd expect a hotel to be it was very clean, a plus for me was how incredibly quite it was. No thin walls or doors. Everything is very private. Also, if I would have known, I would have brought my dog along too since they are so awesomely small to medium sized dog friendly. Not clear on the exact weight limit but I also didn't inquire on it.
1 night romance trip Nov 7, 2014
"Room at Budget prices in downtown SF"
This hotel is budget prices. I you expect high end hotel like feel, this is not for you. I picked hotel not knowing this so hope this helps you make your decision. No AC in hotel. I don't think of checking as this is my first trip to SF. Had to keep window open and that made street noise come in at nights. Not the best part of downtown at nights.
4 night business trip Oct 12, 2014
S. G.
"Average Hotel"
It was a clean hotel with average amenities. Neighborhood is so-so, but that cannot be helped. It is nearby Nob Hill which is nice, but too close to the Tenderloin. Rooms are small (even the deluxe). I probably wouldn't return, but it is not a bad hotel for the cost.
3 night business trip Oct 28, 2014
"Great for exploring SF on foot"
The Hotel California was in most ways a delight. I enjoyed the historical aspect of it and it was conveniently located for walking to most attractions in San Fran. Unlike most "historical properties," it even had adequate power outlets in the room. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The street noise was extreme, and because there is no A/C it was necessary to keep the windows open. This was an unfortunate drawback but mostly compensated for by the hotel's other advantages.
2 night romance trip Oct 19, 2014
Leigh
"Nike Run SF Weekend"
Hotel was comfortable with nice amenities and in a fantastic location. I downgraded the service by one point after I requested something and did not get it. Despite that one item, my stay worked out perfectly.
1 night trip with friends Oct 18, 2014
"Wouldn't stay there again.."
I booked this hotel when in was Best Western and thinking it was close enough to Union Square. Management changed so no free breakfast. Hotel is old as description says but I have been to other older hotels and this one shows all signs of it's age. Hotel staff was accommodative to move to another room on second night as first room close to loud elevator did not allow me to sleep much during night. Worst neighborhood and not having AC, had to keep window open - just to hear homeless people during night. Noticed people selling drugs at street corner. That did it for me. I would prefer to commute from farther distance than piecing this place again.
4 night business trip Oct 12, 2014
S. G.
"is going to receive renovation"
would stay here again if air conditioning and new elevator are in renovation plans.
3 night trip Oct 2, 2014
"fun interesting new part of town to explore"
we always have fun in San Francisco. The hotel was moderately priced compared to the hotels we have previously stayed in. The hotel was older, but clean and interesting and the staff was very accommodating. We had a rental car, and as promised, it was available within15 minutes of our call. It was easy to walk to anywhere we wanted to go.
3 night trip Sep 15, 2014
"Very disappointed"
Having stayed near Union Square before I asked for a high floor to avoid some of the noise in that part of town. So they obliged and gave me a room on the top floor (7th floor). The room was an oven, the sun hit on the roof all day and at night the room was very hot. There is no air conditioning in the rooms and the window opens 5 inches. The only blanket is a comforter. So the nights were sweaty. In the morning the hot water does not get to the 7th floor, so it was lukewarm/cold showers and shaving every morning for 4 days. Last but not least if you end up cosing the windows they do not block out any of the outside noise so even a deep sleeper will wake up 3 or 4 times per night with police cars and other noisy events. I will make sure to avoid this hotel for my next stay...
4 night trip Sep 14, 2014
Marc
"Good hotel, but lacking breakfast option"
Good service and friendly personnel. Unfortunately since they have become part of the Pineapple chain the restaurant no longer serves breakfast. Room was nice, but small. Location very good, but you only had to move a block or two and then you felt less secure aften dawn at least.
6 night romance trip Aug 16, 2014
Knud
Get rid or wooden floors. To noisy if sleeping under a floor.
2 night romance trip Aug 30, 2014
"Amenities"
There is no A/C, window screens, mini-fridge in the rooms and no vending or ice machines in the lobby or halls. It took us 3 days to get a light fixed in the room and the elevator broke the first two days during our stay. Our room was also directly over an out door bar which made it very noisy until late into the night.
6 night trip Aug 16, 2014
Dave Ferguson
"not for everyone"
The elevator broke down about once a day. They said they were replacing it soon. It even says it is an antique on the sign. Also, the neighborhood is loud. It was warm the days we were there, so we kept the windows open 2 of the nights and the noise level was high, especially on Fri and Sat nights. But the room itself was very nice.
3 night family trip Aug 15, 2014
"Central to great attractions"
Husband and I flew in for a concert, hotel staff was super friendly and made sure we didnt want for anything.
1 night romance trip Aug 5, 2014
AZGirl
"Perfect place for a few days"
Price was ryght
2 night trip Jun 25, 2014
"Great Place"
I booked this place in January for a trip in June. Unfortunately the hotel had changed hands in that time and some services were no longer offered (boo!) But the staff was great, in particular Ashley at the front desk was very pleasant and knowledgeable about the city and gave us some great advice about sight seeing and dining. On to the room. The room was small in typical San Francisco style, but not cramped. It was painted a cheery bright yellow and had great reproductions of old posters for decoration. There was a keurig coffee maker and a variety of pods, nice coffee mugs, wine glasses (which we needed), nice robes, big tv, and a HUGE bathroom. I mean really, space being what it is there it was so nice to have a enough room to set out all my hair stuff and have a full shower and bathtub. The location is just outside Union Square and a little bit Tenderloiny (if you have ever been here you know what i mean), but it was great to be in the heart of the city with the ability to walk pretty much anywhere you want to go. I would absolutely stay here again. A+ in my book.
3 night romance trip Jun 18, 2014
Meg C
"Charming and Comfortable"
My room was San Francisco small, but very comfortable and clean. Enjoyed the artwork throughout the building and the cupcakes upon entering. Good service and a good value.
2 night business trip Jun 16, 2014
Room faced street. Very noisy late into night due to area bars, early morning traffic, etc (including early morning work w/ hydraulic equipment). Try to get room not facing front street.
2 night family trip Jun 12, 2014
Union Square has more hotels per square whatever than anywhere else I've seen, so you've got options, but we highly recommend the Hotel California. It's under new management and feels very hip, friendly, and clean. Pineapple water in the lobby is a nice touch. Our 2-bedroom suite reminded me of a nice dorm room or a small NY apartment. Try for upper floors. It's true, you can hear bar sounds from the street on weekends, but you know what? It's happy and it's the kind of noise you only think is keeping you awake if you're already awake. Our 14-year-old slept right through it. I deduct a point for neighborhood because you're right next to the Tenderloin, where unfortunate people sleep and do other things on the sidewalk year round, but you're also near outstanding food. Try the Vietnamese sandwich place down the hill on Jones Street for lunch!
5 night family trip Jun 6, 2014
Kyle C
"Poor for business"
Hotel smelled like a barn, had a single elevator, and was very loud because of outside street noise.
3 night business trip May 22, 2014
"Nice Hotel..."
...but beware that this is not a BW anymore. We booked when it was still owned by BW and used points. Upon arrival the manager told us he could not honor the points redemption. I called BW as I am a frequent traveler and BW called the hotel and fixed the issue. The purchase agreement with BW and Pineapple states that they must honor these bookings so if you encounter this issue, call BW and they will fix it. Staff was polite but I feel as if it was an attempt to make a bit more profit and that many who would be "stranded" would just accept their offer of a 25% discount and pay vs getting their free nights.
1 night romance trip May 18, 2014
Chris S
Rooms are basic but very clean and comfortable. Staff very friendly and helpful. Great location.
Other trip May 12, 2014
TV had bad speakers and had to be turned on by going to the set itself rather than the remote. We declined a room change since we did not plan on watching much TV. Next door was a bar/ restaurant which was loud until 2am Saturday night. There was a $39/day parking charge. If you want to be in a downtown hotel and can deal with the noise and extra expenses, then it is an ok hotel. Never again for us.
2 night family trip Mar 29, 2014
"Lovely hotel and EXCELLENT service!"
My mom and I went on a girls' long weekend trip and we were impressed with this hotel, especially the outstanding service. The staff truly went above and beyond on our multiple odd requests. My mom dropped an earring down the sink and they immediately sent a plumber to retrieve it. They also gave us a free room upgrade because we didn't like the claustrophobic courtyard view of the first room! They also brought us a mini fridge, which was nice. The hotel itself is beautifully updated while maintaining its old charm. We enjoyed the free wine social nightly. Breakfast is adequate - cereals, breads, boiled eggs, juice, coffee - but we really missed having fruit and peanut butter. A couple negatives: any "standard" room is on the interior of the building and looks directly into other guests' rooms. Also, the hotel is definitely on the edge of seedsville. There are lots of sketchy people around. Be aware when walking alone at night. Overall, I will be back! Great hotel, excellent service, and fair price.
5 night trip Mar 4, 2014
KM
"Great, funky, eclectic boutique hotel"
Staff was wonderful. Clean room, comfortable bed. Rooms on the small side, but it is a vintage hotel so I didn't expect a modern sized room. My room location was quiet, except for a fire engine siren a couple of times, but that is typical in any city. Nice touches, like a decent free breakfast, lobby coffee & iced water with citrus, and wine/cheese in the afternoon. Walking distance from financial district, Nob Hill, etc. Valet parking was really handy and fast in/out service. I really liked this hotel and would stay here again without hesitation.
2 night business trip Mar 3, 2014
B. J.
"Nice on a budget, loud neighbors, many bums"
The place was nice, decent room with heating and air. Room was clean, only thing that bothered me were the screaming hooligans outside of the building (some were inside too) and all of the homeless people outside. I wouldn't go outside along at night in this part of town, the bums are very aggressive.
2 night trip Jan 28, 2014
Mayur
The hotel was alright, though very expensive for the quality of service. Our room wasn't serviced even after being out all day. There was additional service and parking that hiked up the rates even more. The breakfast wasn't spectacular but decent. The location was convenient, within walking distance of union square.
2 night trip Jan 17, 2014
Tim and Catalina are awesome! So helpful and made for a great experience
3 night trip Jan 9, 2014
"Hotel California"
For the price and everything included in with the hotel room it is well worth it. I would definitely stay there again. Only downsides are that the rooms are fairly outdated. The elevator is an antique. Also there is a decent amount of noise from people outside at night
1 night trip Jan 4, 2014
I enjoyed the customer service and the free wine and cheese each day. It is a great place for the value. Safe area too.
1 night romance trip Dec 31, 2013