All hotels in Washington, District of Columbia, United States of America
800 16th Street NW, Washington, DC, 20006, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

Clean
    Good internet service
    Uncomfortable
  • Value
    Poor value for money
"A wonderful way to treat yourself"
We splurged on New Years Eve by upgrading our room reservation to a top floor suite with a view of the White House. It was well worth the extra $300! From the 8th floor our view included the Washington Monument directly behind the White House. Just spectacular! The windows opened completely and we couldn't pull ourselves away from the beautiful sights while enjoying the cool fresh air. It was glorious. We left only to have dinner in Chinatown. In the morning we had room service and the food was delivered promptly and hot - and was delicious. If there is one critique it would be the size of the bathroom, however a small bath is to be expected in an old building so that critique is not fair. The bath was perfectly lovely and accommodating. We had an incident that marred our stay just a bit. We accidentally tipped over a side table, breaking the round glass top and a large ceramic bowl. (Note of caution: 3 legged tables tip easily!) We cleaned up all the broken pieces and the area just needed to be vacuumed well. We explained this to the front desk and asked for a 1:00 check out, saying they could take care of it when we left. As we ate breakfast we were interrupted twice, first by a Porter who thought a window had been broken followed by the head of housekeeping (I think). Both were concerned for our well-being, which was appreciated, but the lack of communication was surprising. We were charged $100 for the table glass and $250 for the bowl.
1 night romance trip Dec 31, 2015
"Family Christmas"
We had 4 rooms for the 8 of us which included a handicapped adult, a 15 month old toddler and a yorkie! We flew down to celebrate Christmas at my brother's restaurant St Arnold's on Jefferson with 40 of our cousins and their children. I grew up in D.C. and since we sold my mother's house we decided to stay at the Hay-Adams. We did this once before right after she died. Everything was perfect. The staff knew all our names and tended to our every wish and desires we didn't know we had. A true luxury hotel located absolutely centrally to EVERYTHING that you'd want to see and do in D.C. We attended mass across the street at St. John's Church of the Presidents, ate at some great restaurants and enjoyed walking around the white house and monuments all decorated for the holiday. The hotel even hung Christmas stockings on our doors Christmas morning filled with goodies. Really a special experience.
3 night family trip Dec 24, 2015
We only stayed one night - the location is superb, we had fun walking to the White House grounds and around Lafayette Square. For the price, the rooms are teeny,and the bathroom is teeny also. Not uncomfortably so, but still, it tarnishes the luxury image a little. $49 for Valet Parking is a bit steep unless they are trying to punish us for arriving in our car. Our room had a view of another room on one side and an office on the other - if we leaned out a bit we could see some trees, but no White House view. We would probably not stay here again - that Valet parking charge is a deal breaker.
1 night romance trip Dec 13, 2015
Deborah
Lovely as always
1 night romance trip Dec 10, 2015
Anthony
guest room was rather dated; bathroom was really modest with a small pedestal sink and no counter space; however, the staff was excellent and location is fantastic
2 night business trip Nov 11, 2015
Lewis
"Tired and Noisy"
I was offered an "upgrade' to a room that had no actual bed, just a pull out couch! And the 2nd floor room I was given was small, dark and so noisy both sleep and a nap proved impossible.
Other trip Oct 9, 2015
EHR
best hotel in DC, bar none.
1 night trip Oct 3, 2015
Allison
This has become one of our favorite places to stay in D.C.! The location is perfect and the service is beyond compare. The staff goes above and beyond to make your stay special.
2 night family trip Sep 25, 2015
"Love this hotel!!"
From the moment we landed & a driver from the hotel picked us up, our stay was first class! Never want to stay anywhere else in DC. The staff was so accommodating & treated us VIP from start to finish!!
2 night romance trip Sep 26, 2015
Stacey
"Lovely stay!"
What a wonderful place to escape from the routine! Our stay was lovely and the staff was superb! They even gave us an room upgrade because it was our anniversary. Old charm, mixed with luxurious and modern amenities. And you can't beat the location!
1 night romance trip Aug 29, 2015
"The best place to stay in Washington DC"
Excellent hotel. The hotel was extremely attentive to every request.
2 night family trip Aug 23, 2015
"Top class"
In a league of its own! Stunning room & first class service
Other trip Aug 11, 2015
karen
"location location!!"
First time back since 1982. Friendly and comfortable.Did not have a chance to go to dinner.
Other trip Aug 10, 2015
David Paul
The Hay-Adams was by far the best hotel in Washington, DC. The staff are friendly and did not hesitate to help me from the time I arrived to when I departed. The location is a block away from the White House. And the room and bathroom are amazing. I will be staying here if I go to Washington, DC.
1 night trip Jul 25, 2015
Ashley
"Classic DC Hotel"
The Hay-Adams is how you imagine a 5-star Washington, DC hotel to look. If you're looking for classic DC, rather than the trendiness of The W, this is the spot.
Other trip Jul 26, 2015
"Nice traditional hotel"
This is a very old school hotel with formal and attentive service. My room was very well appointed, but quite small. It would not have worked out well for two people of if I had to spend significant time working in the room, but was fine for my purposes. The service, however, was excellent. Two nights in a row I got my suit pressed quickly at 11pm and everyone was exceptionally polite and helpful. The location can't be beat.
Other trip Jul 25, 2015
matt
"Great location...friendly staff"
We loved the location. The hotel is within walking distance of most of the major museums and monuments. The hotel even offered complimentary bikes which really helped scooting around town. We really liked the staff, especially when we asked to see the White House from the upper floor balcony. Unfortunately, our room was a little underwhelming. It offered a view of the alley and the adjacent offices across the way. While we can't always get the perfect room while trying to stay on our vacation budget, this was disappointing due to the fact we picked this hotel because of the views and it was my 50th birthday. The hotel did bring up chocolate covered strawberries....which helped. All in all great hotel...but those photos gave cause for greatness which we didn't experience.
Other trip Jul 23, 2015
steve
Fantastic hotel and great location. Some rooms overlook the White House. The staff is top notch, and remember your name soon after you check in. I'll be going back.
4 night family trip Jul 10, 2015
"Beautiful, elegant, and super friendly."
My daughter and I felt like special guests. The staff was incredibly personable and saw to our every need. They went over and beyond and made us feel special.
Other trip Jul 15, 2015
"Definitely would choose this hotel again!"
Excellent from valet to check in to room service. Very helpful, friendly, informative and efficient.
2 night family trip Jul 9, 2015
Lori
"Wonderful Hotel"
Our third time stopping at this hotel we love the rooms and decor the beautiful flowers in reception,and most of all we love the turn down service!!! When in DC we always stop at the Hay Adams its true luxury.
1 night romance trip Jun 20, 2015
Carl
"Decided to upgrade to view of White House-"
Well worth the view of White House, especially after the SCOTUS decision re marriage.'
Other trip Jun 30, 2015
winnie
"Excellent stay"
This was our first stay at the Hay-Adams. We wanted to try out another hotel. We usually stay at the Willard. The room was nice. The staff were all great. Check-in was fast. Room service was great, and the staff at the "Off the Record" were excellent. The food was excellent too. It is a little further away from the museums, but worth the extra walk to us. We will be back.
2 night family trip Jun 18, 2015
Dennis
We made a family trip to see the sights of the capital. The Hay Adams Hotel quite simply has the best location of any hotel in Washinton D.C. The rooms, service and food were impeccable and we will definitely be returning.
Other trip Jun 21, 2015
"I loved it!"
I had an amazing stay at the Hay-Adams. It was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed. The service was impeccable. The lady from concierge desk was very helpful and friendly. All the servers at the restaurant were amazing as well. I just love the interior of the room. I will definitely want to stay there again when I'm back in DC.
2 night trip Jun 7, 2015
"The BEST"
The beds were comfy, the room was beautiful - even a mock fireplace. The staff was more than accommodating. Beautiful lobby and very quiet.
Other trip Jun 9, 2015
"Fabulous location and service!"
It was my first time staying at the Hay-Adams and I don't think I will stay anywhere else when traveling to DC in the future! It was a fabulous experience--the ambiance, food, staff, location! I couldn't have asked for anything better!
Other trip Jun 5, 2015
Briar
"Lovely stay in DC. Will return to Hay Adams"
The service was exceptional. The breakfast were wonderful. We found the bathroom too small and bed too soft. Despite that, we would return.
4 night family trip May 20, 2015
"Almost Perfect"
Everything was great except the room we booked was a king and they tried to put us in a double which doesn't work, but they worked it out for a modest upgrade in price. The people who work there are wonderful as is the White House location.
6 night romance trip May 10, 2015
jack
"Overrated. Not worth the price."
Not exactly sure why this hotel is rated so high.. The bed was uncomfortable and hard. I had to unplug a lamp just to find a working outlet in the room. The room was small and noisy as can be. Floor squeaking was loud as can be. Our window was so close to the adjacent office building that I actually sat in on a board meeting from my hotel window. Outside noise was constant till about 2am, the outside noise was so loud that I had to double check the windows were closed. The staff was friendly, that's really the only good thing I can say about our stay. Super disappointing.
1 night romance trip Apr 29, 2015
"Stuffy Hotel"
The Hay Adams is a wonderful old hotel. The only thing that I think they could do better on is the stuffiness of the hotel and bar. I'm glad I stayed there but I would be moving on in the future!
4 night romance trip Apr 20, 2015
"Wonderful!!"
Lived up to all my expectations. Staff, lobby, restaurant, room.....all lovely.
Other trip Apr 21, 2015
sandy
"Pacrim"
Amazing
2 night romance trip Apr 17, 2015
Veth
"One of the best locations in DC"
Beautiful, historic, clean with an excellent staff. A minimum of four people in the lobby opening the double doors & greeting guests, handling luggage. Downstairs, the bar tender Marco was great. The hotel is within walking distance of restaurants, shopping, monuments and of course the white house. Being so close, we watched the presidential motorcade. The lobby is small. There is no place to linger, take in the atmosphere or have a coffee but you can go to the dining room when open. We had mid morning coffee there but the waiter seemed put out that we didn't order food. The china was beautiful but one saucer was chipped and another in our group was given a lipstick stained coffee cup. We did not go back but instead went to the Willard Hotel for afternoon coffee. Our room was small, the view was the office building next door. No coffee maker. The bathroom tiny. The décor was pretty and the bed very comfortable. The turndown service is really nice - music, slippers, chocolate. I inquired as to a room with a better view but that was an additional charge. There was no tour of the roof to view the White House. We asked twice & both days they were "setting up" for an event. I would stay again but if I was traveling with children I would look for a hotel that offered more space inside, a pool, garden or outside seating. We weren't told of a fitness center & didn't see one. The staff makes this hotel special. They are exceptional.
Other trip Apr 6, 2015
Jo
"VERY Disappointing visit"
We had 2 rooms booked at the Hay-Adams for the Saturday of Easter weekend. Check-in was to be at 3:00pm. We arrived early so stored our bags at the hotel and walked around D.C.for two hours until the rooms were ready. Neither was ready however, yet one party after another was checking into their rooms while we waited.. The woman at the desk said that it would be a while. and that if we were willing to up-grade at a substantially higher that she could give us 2 orooms right away. I told her that we had already paid for both rooms and that we were not interested in paying more.. I DO understand that Easter weekend is a hectic time and things can go wrong. The snooty woman at the desk then told me and said that the credit card we had given for "incidental expenses" had been turned down..I suggested that she try it again because there should have been no problem whatsoever with the card. Then I realized that we had gotten a very good price on the hotel room through Expedia, and that the Hay-Adams would rather have sold it at full price over this busy weekend, not at a discounted price. I think that their aim was to make it so difficult that we would leave, or pay the additional expense of an up-grade. No doubt in my mind that this was the situation. .Finally we got in the rooms. They told us someone would bring us ice right away . No ice ever arrived, no surprise. A disappointing experience. Poor service from woman at desk, however others were most pleasant. Will not return..
Other trip Apr 6, 2015
Molly
The staff was exceptional. I felt like royalty in their professional hands.
Other trip Apr 2, 2015
"We had a lovely stay."
The facilities, staff and accommodation surpassed our expectations. Will definitely return when next in Washington DC. Highly recommend this wonderful hotel.
Other trip Apr 1, 2015
"Nice hotel. Close to White House."
A WONDERFUL HOTEL. VERY COMFORTABLE AND BEAUTIFUL. THE ROOMS ARE LARGE AND VERY CLEAN. Staff Helpful and friendly. Location superb. The restaurant is very good and the food is delicious. Highly recommend to all
Other trip Mar 26, 2015
inessa
"Hay Adams"
Staff is great, great location, but walls are paper thin = no sleep thanks to the guest next door who partied all night.
1 night business trip Mar 12, 2015
Staff was outstanding. Location was perfect. Food was wonderful. NO COMMENT bar was great. I will they would have a mattress to match the quality of the hotel.
Other trip Mar 18, 2015
Great Hotel and staff, although we got stuck next to very noisy neighbors . Had to call security
Other trip Mar 9, 2015
"Great stay quiet elegance"
Quite and classic
1 night business trip Mar 3, 2015
Denise
"Luxury without attitude"
The Hay-Adams is an iconic hotel that has it all, but the real star in this 5 star hotel is the warmth and genuine friendliness of the staff.
4 night family trip Feb 26, 2015
joanne
"anonymous"
Only problem was that i thought room service was a little over priced and there weren't many restaurants close by which was important given the very cold weather
2 night romance trip Feb 23, 2015
Willard
"DC Visit"
We went to DC to spend time with our son that attends CUA. We loved the hotel because it was clean, service was excellent and personalized. The dining area is nice for any meal. The breakfast was excellent. I think we tried everything in the menu. Their pancakes are awesome. Beds and pillows are extremely comfortable. Great to stay at a place were they call you by your name.
3 night family trip Feb 19, 2015
Ena
"Lovely stay, very amenable staff"
2 great restaurants in the hotel, one formal dining room, one casual.
Other trip Feb 20, 2015
mid 50s
"A classic that has endured over the years"
Just finished our second visit to the Hay Adams and it again met all of our expectations. Staff is outstanding and very attuned to the needs of the guests. Rooms are immaculate and are cleaned twice a day. Can't beat the location. Restaurant is excellent but don't expect to walk in without a reservation.
"One of the best in the country!"
Absolutely awesome hotel! We had a junior suite directly overlooking the White House. Saw Marine One land, snowstorm, etc. The bar and restaurant were great. Staff was superb. By far the best hotel to stay at in Washington DC.
Other trip Jan 9, 2015
Hotel is across the street from the White House and walking distance to some great restaurants. We spent 2 nights and had a wonderful time.
Other trip Jan 5, 2015
"Fabulous staff, beautiful hotel"
I travel quite a bit so I have stayed probably in over 50 different hotels, anything between 3 and 5 stars, in the US and overseas. I MUST say this was one of my favorite hotels! Decided to spend our anniversary in DC to lounge and relax, made last minute reservation, but the hotel staff did everything possible to make our stay memorable, from the check in to check out. Given that I have traveled quite a bit, I can be picky but the staff at this hotel made sure all our questions were promptly answered. When there was confusion about the price of the water from the fridge in the room, this was quickly rectified, they even treated us for a nice anniversary surprise, which was a TOTAL SURPRISE. Food in the bar was really good. Most importantly, I hope that the person at the front desk, I believe by the name Jareau, is rewarded for his great attitude, smile, and his drive to make our stay memorable. What a relief to meet such great staff, especially Jareau. The person at the front desk (Jareau) is a KEEPER and I would hire him on the spot if I could :)
1 night romance trip Jan 1, 2015