All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
114 Powell St, San Francisco, CA, 94102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Union Square Hotel! A great experience for us"
We really enjoyed our stay at the Union Square Hotel. It was a romantic getaway and we really enjoyed ourselves in this small but cozy room. A little bit of street noise in the late hours but nothing to lose sleep over. Street view room is highly recommended. (The inside rooms face a brick wall). Ruben and the front desk staff are amazing! We got married during this trip and Ruben not only congratulated us but sent up a bottle of white wine to us personally. The cable car pickup is so close. We ended up getting a 3 day pass. This was way cheaper than buying a ticket everytime. Walgreens and great restaurants (like Blondie's and Sushi Boat) all within walking distance. Oh and they even let us use their printer for an unexpected emergency. We brought a lot of our own toiletries and left our 'Do not disturb' sign pretty much the whole time. And when we needed extra towels and TP they were up in less than 5 minutes. Great experience. Highly recommend :D
5 night romance trip Mar 26, 2015
omar
Hotel was over priced,but the location was pretty good
Other trip Apr 4, 2015
Central, with really nice and helping staff. The room was a bit dark, but quite comfortable.
Other trip Mar 26, 2015
"Poor value"
Rooms too small, bathrooms dowdy and cramped. It is 50 years out of date. The fitness center is several blocks away and has virtually no equipment.
4 night business trip Mar 19, 2015
John A
"Not what I expected"
The two good things about this hotel is the location and the hotel clerk was very nice. However, he parking lot sign clearly stated $25 per night, but they were going to charge us $45 per night. Plus they gave us a room that had no airconditioning, it just had a fan with one window. When we opened the window, the street noise was unbearable. Room was small, bathroom was even smaller. So after seeing the room, we checked out and checked in to another hotel across the street.
2 night romance trip Mar 13, 2015
"Nice stay, but missing AC"
Nice hotel in central location. Rooms were clean and comfortable. But being right on Powell St. means lots of street noise. The rooms have no AC units. It was a little warm during my stay so I opened the window and then thr noise is really a problem. If the rooms had AC, it would have been a whole different experience. Overall, nice hotel though.
3 night business trip Mar 15, 2015
Adam
"Love this Hotel and hope to return!"
My 19 year old daughter and I had a great 5 day get away and loved staying at the Union Square Hotel! We typically stay at a Grand Hyatt but wanted to try something different and are so happy that we did. It is a smaller boutique hotel and is super cozy and hip. The location is fantastic and Is steps away to the Trolley, BART, Buses or Taxis. Awesome shopping and restaurants all in walking distance. We felt very safe. The evening wine was very good quality and the gentleman singing acoustic in the lobby during this time was equally enjoyed by myself and my daughter. Our room did not have an air conditioner & we were concerned the temperature may get too warm. I called the front desk & the concierge was quickly at our door with keys to a new room& offered to help move us to the room next door with air. In conclusion, both a 19 & 53 year old agree they would eagerly return and stay at this hotel. Also, rooms are small but who lives in their room in a city like this?
4 night family trip Mar 10, 2015
"Small rooms in a good hotel"
The room and the bathroom are too small! It does not have amenities!
2 night romance trip Mar 14, 2015
Diego
"Good Hotel"
Great experience! In the heart of the city! Fun, Close to lots of places
Other trip Mar 18, 2015
"Weekend Trip"
My boyfriend and I took a quick weekend trip to San Francisco for my birthday, and we chose Hotel Union Square because it was a good price for being right in the middle of Union Square. Parking was a little bit annoying, and we had trouble finding the lot we were "supposed" to park in (hint: it's off of Ellis and it's a ground-floor lot.) We ended up parking in a structure on the backside of the building, which was cheaper per day anyway. The hotel itself was very nice and quirky looking, and all the staff were very polite and friendly to my boyfriend and I. My main complaint is the size of the room. It was ridiculously tiny and I sort of felt like I was sleeping in a cracker box. On the plus side, it was very simple and neat, and since we were really only using it for sleep, it was enough.
2 night romance trip Mar 13, 2015
Shelby
"Great hotel in Union Square"
Hotel Union Square was a great place to stay as it is centrally located to everything...food&shopping! I felt safe and the room was pretty small but cute for one person. I would definitely stay there again!
1 night business trip Mar 11, 2015
Lori
"Cozy room, very warm, with very helpful staff"
The room was rather small, all told, and the bathroom comparably small. It had everything I needed in it, though, and was *very* conveniently located. The staff was really where the hotel shone. They were very responsive, helped me get my bearings, were incredibly friendly ... basically, everything you'd want in a hotel staff, and more. My one complaint would be that we couldn't get the room cooled down. It had radiator heating, and could be turned low, but not entirely off.
Other trip Mar 15, 2015
Crystal
"Enjoyed my stay. Satisfactory."
Was very satisfied with the wi-fi. fast & stable. The room is a bit small, but comfy enough for one person to stay. They let me bring my bike up to the room. And the location is awesome
1 night trip Mar 7, 2015
Ji Hoon
"Nice accommodations in an excellent location."
The hotel is located in the Union Square area. It is just off Market Street and right on the cable car line near the beginning. There is quite a lot of thing to do in the area and you can take the cable care to Chinatown or to the wharf area, ie Fishermen' Wharf, Pier 39, and the Cannery.
Other trip Mar 4, 2015
This hotel was sketchy and gross I wouldn't recommend it
Response by Hotel Union Square
Dear Traveler, Thank you for the review about our hotel. I am sorry that you feel this way but we appreciate the feedback. Thank you for your time, have a wonderful day. Lennin B. Ledesma Guest Services Manager
Other trip Mar 4, 2015
Great hotel, the only problem was that there were no windows to open which made the room stuffy
1 night romance trip Feb 27, 2015
Naomi
"not what I expected"
Very small room. Next to elevator, very noisy, heater barely worked, just not what I expected. Hotel website showed something completely different than what we got when we reservesd the room. Rip off.
Other trip Mar 1, 2015
"small, quirky, good location"
The room was very small but fine for one person. The staff was very friendly, the room was clean, and the location was great for shopping and walking around in the evening.
Other trip Feb 24, 2015
S
"Good location, beware of noise factor"
Hotel had good location very close to public transportation. Price was good for location. However, The street noise was definitely a downside of this hotel.
3 night trip with friends Feb 18, 2015
"Great location and price!!"
Great location and great staff.
3 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015
Soumalee
"Parking"
It was a great location but they should tell you where to park your car, if you are using a car. We ended up driving around for an hour to find it after we got to the hotel. Very frustrating
1 night trip with friends Feb 13, 2015
tara
"Great location!"
This hotel is perfectly located to see all the sites San Francisco has to offer. Many things are walking distance and the cable cars pass right in front of the hotel. The staff were friendly and knowledgable and the hotel itself was very stylish and cool. The only slight complaint I would have is that our room was very, very, small but that would explain the great rate we got. Maybe next time we'll spring for a bigger room!
Other trip Feb 19, 2015
Pabs
great boutique hotel. nice location. clean room. no complaints whatsoever.
Other trip Feb 17, 2015
"Perfect location"
I'm not a huge fan of union square but the fact that you can almost see union square from the hotel and CAN see the muni station makes it perfect. We rode greyhound to San Francisco jumped right on muni and jumped right off a half block from the hotel. Then went all over town via an all access muni pass(includes trolley cars, subway, and busses). Only thing was the room was surprisingly small but was a non-issue for us as we only used the hotel for sleeping! We mostly were out in the town. The wine in the evenings was pretty cool. If you need a ton of amenities pay a little more and go down the street, if you see the hotel as we did, a nice, safe place to crash, this place was great. Couldn't ask for more.
Other trip Feb 17, 2015
daytona
"great"
great location. Close to everything. Happy hour a bonus.
4 night romance trip Nov 30, 2014
Phillip
"Great small boutique hotel"
Got a great last minute rate!
2 night romance trip Feb 6, 2015
Diana
"Beautiful with so much character"
Awesome Hotel! We got a free upgrade to the Dashiell Hammet Suite and it was really nice! the hotel was great, the fact that the parking entrance street was closed was the only complaint. But this is the city's fault not the hotel. It made parking a little bit of a headache.
1 night romance trip Feb 7, 2015
Elba
"Too pricey"
Room was very well decorated and the hotel was really cool. Just small room.
1 night trip Feb 8, 2015
"nice hotel,"
Room comfortable, the staff are very friendly; and location's hotel is the best in the city
Other trip Feb 9, 2015
"City for the weekend"
This location is super convenient for access to restaurants and north end sights. Coit tower, chinatown, waterfront all walkable from Union Square. I must say that the bed comfort could have been better. For the money- a good value for a getaway weekend.
2 night family trip Jan 30, 2015
emilee
"good location and facilities.. but my noisy"
my room was very noisy to sleep as it was above the main street
Other trip Feb 6, 2015
Gershon
"Good location but hot, noisy, broken tv."
Very old feeling beds, tv had lines through it and very noisy all night. Staff was great and location was very nice on a positive note. Would not stay again.
Response by Hotel Union Square
Dear Traveler, Thank you for your review on our hotel. I am sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations. I hope that you considered contacting our staff during your stay to give us a chance to rectify the situation. We hope to see you again in the future. Lennin B. Ledesma Guest Services Manager
Other trip Feb 3, 2015
"Ok hotel. Bad smell..."
dislike the smell of the room... the staff was nice and it has a good location but the smell really make me move from hotel..
Response by Hotel Union Square
Dear Traveler, Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I am sorry to hear about your recent stay. We hope that you change your mind and give us a second chance on your next trip to San Francisco. Thank you for your time, have a wonderful day. Lennin B. Ledesma Guest Services Manager
Other trip Feb 2, 2015
Bib
"Centrally located boutique hotel"
Staff was great, facilities are recently redecorated, check-in/out was easy. Located right beside Powell cable car terminus and 1 block from BART - couldn't be more convenient. This is a 100 year old hotel, so the rooms are really small (~14'x18' or so?) but everything works and the furnishings and decor have been updated. We took an inside room rather than streetside due to concern about noise. It was pretty dark and there was no view (inside rooms look into the central outdoor 'atrium' across to other rooms 20' away; this is a typical historic ventilation strategy), but it was QUIET and there were no privacy issues. We slept like logs. It was January, so we didn't turn on the through-window air conditioner, but I am guessing that would have been a bit noisier. Might be a good idea to bring earplugs just in case, or if you'd like a street view. Note that the hotel is right downtown, so there is a pretty wide population demographic represented - my 8 year old daughter was a little worried about some of the more unpredictable homeless residents around the Union Square area, and had a lot of questions in general about the people sleeping or sitting in doorways (but not our hotel doorway!!). But we didn't have any problems.
Response by Hotel Union Square
Dear Traveler, Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel, your feedback is greatly appreciated. We hope to see you again in the near future. Lennin B. Ledesma Guest Services Manager
Other trip Jan 31, 2015
LR_Seattle
"Last Minute Pit Stop"
Booked the room the same day for our pit-stop in SF. It's conveniently located next to a parking garage, so we parked there, rather than use the hotel's parking services. It is in the nicer area of Union Square, so you won't experience running into some homeless people as you may in other sections The lobby is nicely decorated. You can tell the building is older when you get inside of the room, just by looking at the original fixtures, but everything has been updated. I'm very happy that the room did not smell like cigarettes. It was extremely clean and neat. Their shower heads are amazing as well as the products they provide. Bed was really comfortable, no squeaks or weird springs. In the morning they provide some coffee and tea. I drank two cups. The coffee was not shabby at all. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wanted to stay in Union Square, just because of the convenience and cleanliness
Other trip Jan 26, 2015
Lotus
"Nice hotel but watch out for parking fees"
It was in a good location, easy to get to where we wanted to go, but beware, the price was nice but they get you with their parking per night, ouch!!
Response by Hotel Union Square
Dear Traveler, Thank you for posting a review about our hotel, your feedback is much appreciated. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the location of our hotel. We apologize for the parking rates however we are on par with the surrounding parking structures and are one of the few that offer in and out privileges. We hope you come back to see us again soon, have a wonderful day. Lennin B. Ledesma Guest Services Manager
2 night romance trip Jan 19, 2015
"The smell is terrible"
Everything was good except the smell.. It was terrible.. Really really terrible
Response by Hotel Union Square
Dear Traveler, Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I am sorry that you were unsatisfied with the hotel. We thank you for your business and hope you change your mind about us. Thank you for your time. Lennin B. Ledesma Guest Services Manager
1 night trip with friends Jan 16, 2015
"Very disappointing..."
Let me start by saying my boyfriend and I come up to the city about every other weekend, so we stay at a lot of hotels. This was by far the worst experience we've ever had. Valet is self service valet, there was construction so the road to the parking lot was blocked off by cones, had to take a 20 min detour because of one way streets just to get to the parking lot that is located directly behind the hotel just to find out there are cones and signs in the way. I finally got out of my car and moved the cones and signs because no one from the hotel was taking care of it. Even after all this and complaining, I was forced to pay for the valet parking...also the rooms are VERY small, and the hot water takes about 30 min to get hot, so I took a cold shower...the concierge brought a bottle of wine to the room thinking this made up for it. Unbelievable!!!! Never had an experience like this before...will never be returning to this hotel. Many more outstanding hotels for similar price or even cheaper!
Response by Hotel Union Square
Dear Traveler, Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel, your feedback is greatly appreciated. I apologize for the experience you had here at our hotel, please consider one of our sister properties on your next visit to San Francisco. Thank you for your time. Lennin B. Ledesma Guest Services Manager
Other trip Jan 18, 2015
jessica
"Good hotel in the center"
Stayed there for 4 nights, facilities are great, staff was really helpful and the location is prime. only thing is the fact that the room is a bit small but other then that, it's a great hotel with perfect service (in the mornings you get complementary coffee and at the evening a complementary glass of wine at the lobby). The hotel has it's own parking lot (need to pay for it), so it's very convenient if you are traveling with a car.
Other trip Jan 17, 2015
Naty
"Best Avoidable stay in Union Square"
Ideal hotel to stay in San Francisco. Located in the heart in Union Square, everything is in walking distance. Parking lot is extremely useful.
3 night trip with friends Jan 8, 2015
"Not as advertised"
They don't have a fitness center on site as advertised. The room was so small they could only fit one night stand by the bed and the room had no amenities. For $300 you basically got a bed. Very disappointing.
Response by Hotel Union Square
Dear Traveler, Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I apologize for the inconvenience regarding our fitness center. Our website clearly states that the complimentary fitness center is available within walking distance. We hope you change your mind about our hotel, hope to see you again soon. Lennin B. Ledesma Guest Services Manager
Other trip Jan 16, 2015
ks
"Couple getaway"
Location was perfect. This hotel is walking distance to Japantown, China Town, Italian District, and Union Square.
1 night romance trip Jan 9, 2015
"A Real Gem"
This is a great hotel right in the heart of San Francisco, first things first, the room I had was not big but the Bed was AMAZING the shower was blissful, if you are a business traveler and looking for a desk my room did not have one, how much time do you stay in your hotel room awake anyway! if you are visiting San Francisco you can not ask for a better location with in one block you have the Powell st cable turn around, the BART (need for taxi or shuttle from SFO) and the MUNI
Response by Hotel Union Square
Dear John, Thank you for sharing your positive experience. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and loved our beds! We hope you will choose Hotel Union Square for your next stay in San Francisco. We look forward to seeing you soon! Megan Brandt Guest Relations
2 night business trip Jan 8, 2015
"Just OK"
Rooms were small and the elevator was broken, so we had to walk our bags up the stairs. Parking was astronomical- albeit what else could you expect from the inner city- and not in a covered garage. One plus was that you had in and out privileges. Wifi was free once you closed the initial prompt from Skype telling you to pay .19/minute.
Response by Hotel Union Square
Dear Traveler, Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel, your feedback is greatly appreciated. We apologize for the inconvenience that was caused with our elevator being down. Assistance had been offered to all guests who needed help with their luggage through our concierge department. We hope that you re-consider staying with us in the near future, have a wonderful day. Lennin B. Ledesma Guest Services Manager
2 night business trip Jan 5, 2015
"Stylish and central."
Had a great stay, access to the hotel is limited as its on a busy street. This is a dog friendly hotel but there is no green space other then Union square with in walking. Overall nice for the price
Other trip Jan 12, 2015
ken
The hotel was quite ok. The room was very small and there was a funny smell in the whole hotel. But the location was very good!
Other trip Jan 11, 2015
"Make sure you ok with vallet parking"
Everything was good, but they haven't told us that they will charge 45 /night for vallet parking. That was supprise us when we checked out
Response by Hotel Union Square
Dear Traveler, Thank you for your review about our hotel. I apologize that you weren't informed about parking upon checking into the hotel. Rest assured I will follow up with my staff regarding this. Thank you for your time, have a wonderful day. Lennin B. Ledesma Guest Services Manager
2 night trip with friends Jan 6, 2015
Kent
"unique and fun hotel for a bargain"
This place is a bargain for such a hip hotel in a great location with a very friendly and helpful staff. This was my second stay at Hotel Union Square and I'll be back again :)
Response by Hotel Union Square
Dear Christopher, Thank you very much for your kind words and for choosing Hotel Union Square during your trip to San Francisco. We are so glad that you find us to be a hip hotel and we look forward to seeing in the near future! Best Regards, Megan Brandt Guest Relations
2 night trip Jan 2, 2015
Christopher
"The ideal cheap hotel in the downtown."
Very central location and low price, good service and cleanliness, making it enough for an ideal economic choice.
1 night trip with friends Jan 5, 2015
Lipeng
"Live music plus wine!"
Music in the lobby with free wine was a plus! Nice friendly staff & te lemon, lime, strawberry water was refreshing! Room was worth the price and directly in the heart of union square to shop!
1 night romance trip Jan 3, 2015