All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
114 Powell St, San Francisco, CA, 94102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Nice hotel in a great location"
Hotel is located in Union Square and we were able to walk everywhere. Was impressed on how quiet the room was for being located in such a busy area. Nice decor and friendly staff.
Other trip May 26, 2015
Jen
"Great service!"
I had a great stay at Hotel Union Square. The staff was phenomenal and went above and beyond my expectations multiple times. When I first checked in there was a slight issue with the in room TV, after calling the front desk they informed me that their maintenance man would not be onsite until the next day, however they went ahead and reserved another room for me if I wanted to move rooms. Once I switched rooms there was not a single issue. Anytime I had a question on how to get somewhere or what restaurant to visit - the concierge was extremely helpful and gave great recommendations. I really cant say enough about their great customer service. I would absolutely stay with them again!
3 night business trip May 11, 2015
"Good spot in the city"
Staff at night was bit rude. The morning staff was nice.
Other trip May 19, 2015
"Not a Marriott...nice small rooms/older building"
Anytime your hotel is a hard to find doorway in a busy part of downtown, you may be in for a unique experience. I will keep this short. This is a unique building with many turns and twists and stairs (for example, you may have to walk up a couple more steps to get in your room- even if you are on the correct floor. They do have an elevator to get you to your floor, but beware of the 500lb limit- remember unique). The service was great. The people were courteous and had smiles. The room was clean. It is small. No safe, no fridge, no fluff. Just a clean room and quaint hotel in a very busy part of downtown San Fran. I would recommend it if you like to be right in the center of things (near the train station, Union Sq, and more) along with a non-traditional hotel building. The free wine happy hour with music was very cool.
2 night business trip May 12, 2015
Anthony
"Great location, mediocre hotel experience."
The location is fantastic. The hotel itself is "boutique" and older, but with cosmetic updates. It's an OK mid-level boutique hotel. There is a bit of an odor everywhere except the lobby. The air handler unit is loud and bothersome in all rooms facing the interior "courtyard".
2 night business trip May 5, 2015
"Good Alternative to Chain hotels in SOMA"
good central location to SOMA, Union Square, transit - everything walkable from hotel. No gym (can use the sister hotel's..) you could hear the flushes/showers from the other rooms. Room was clean, small but sufficient for business needs. Wireless worked fine, no issues.
2 night business trip May 4, 2015
"Weekend getaway"
Visiting for the weekend and this hotel is centrally located to all the activities we had planned. Was clean and was a sleeping room with no frills.
2 night romance trip May 1, 2015
"a place to come back to"
We were in the City for a weekend and found Hotel Union Square perfect for our needs. The hotel staff is welcoming and efficient, the hotel itself is beautifully redone to make a small space seem spacious. Our room was very comfortable. It overlooked Powell St., which was busy until 10 or 11, then it was pretty quiet--even though we kept the window open a bit. The location is perfect. We got off BART, deposited our stuff and made our way to our conference with great ease. We could park our luggage past checkout until it was time to leave.
1 night romance trip May 1, 2015
Deborah
"Terrible"
Over priced awful hotel, it was dirty, bathroom had hairs in it. They had a broken elevator. My friend who was also staying there didn't have AC. Can't believe it was 300 a night. I left before I even had to sleep there. Would not recommend this hotel. Really can't find a worse hotel option I imagine. Should not be considered even a two star hotel.
Other trip May 4, 2015
kjk
"Good experience"
Cool hotel, right by Union Square, comfy beds, and friendly staff. I called before my trip and asked if my room had a feature and was told it did, but when I arrived it didn't. The man at the front desk immediately moved us into a room that did, even though they were booked really full and he looked really busy. The phone was ringing off the hook the whole time I was talking to him but he was friendly and accommodating about my room switch. I was very pleased.
Other trip May 4, 2015
Birdie
great location!
2 night trip with friends Apr 30, 2015
"Would definitely stay again!"
Great hotel. It's not perfect, but its minor imperfections only added to it's personality. We were on the 2nd floor, right above the street, so you could hear the cable car and some traffic, however the windows helped to muffle the sound just enough, which my husband and I rather enjoyed. The room was very clean, the staff was helpful, and the bed was VERY comfortable. (The eye make-up remover wipes was a nice touch.) If you order room service, which is actually ordering from Tad's restaurant next door, know that a tip for Tad's is automatically added to the bill. My only caveat is the hotel-recommended van service that I let Hotel Union Square's Concierge talk me into. Price was great (a partial of which, was paid directly to the hotel), but the service was extremely lacking! The driver was impatient to the point of hitting a bus with the mirror and proceeding to yell at the bus driver, all while our van was in the bus' way. He was such a rude man as he managed to add a couple racial comments along with his lesson on San Francisco. On my next visit, I'll time myself better to get the cheaper rates to/from the airport and opt for Uber.
Other trip May 2, 2015
Mean Mom
"noise???"
no airconditioning and not even a ceiling fan. they have rooms with air conditioning but it was not eve offered. we were not told there was construction and the construction literally went ALL night!!!! no sleep whatsoever because all i heard was banging and breaking up of concrete. absolutely awful!!!!!!
Other trip May 2, 2015
jen
Great Stay
3 night business trip Apr 20, 2015
"Union Sq. Hotel - Wonderful place"
Great location with wonderful people.
2 night romance trip Apr 24, 2015
"Too pricy for what you get"
It's a a bit over priced for what I got. I could have gotten a better room for the same price at a different hotel. It is a much older building, room was small, and I had a view of the next room over instead of outside which would have been better.
1 night romance trip Apr 17, 2015
Allan
"Excellent Stay at Hotel Union Square!"
Excellent stay at Hotel Union Square! The staff was super friendly and the housekeeping was impeccable.
6 night business trip Mar 23, 2015
Great. The rooms are very modern looking and not too classy. Felt like home.
Other trip Apr 22, 2015
Spectacular
"Charming and central"
Fun hotel design- comfortable, unique and really quite charming. Location was perfect. A bit loud at night if you are facing the street side, but I suppose it's good to feel the bustle.
3 night trip Apr 16, 2015
"Potential but not quite there"
Hotel has potential to be unique and possibly even charming, it certainly has character. Just needs to do the last 10% to get there. Room smelled stale and musty, like it had been closed up for several days. Lound neighborhood with lots of street/construction noise (even though my room did not face the main street. Lots of high-end stores nearby, but the neighborhood residents are far from high-end.
4 night business trip Apr 12, 2015
Les
everything was fine for our 4 nights stay. we had no trouble and staff were friendly. place is clean and close to many food places.
Other trip Apr 11, 2015
hadi
"great personality"
Great hotel. Has its own personality, not cookie cutter. fantastic neighborhood.
4 night family trip Apr 3, 2015
"charming boutique hotel"
Great location in the heart of union square next to the cable car line. It's a boutique hotel. Downstairs, the lobby is modern, urban and cozy. Upstairs, the halls of this hotel are dark and for lack of a better term.....creepy. The room itself sat on the main street where you could hear the hustle and bustle of the streets. We liked that. There was just an Erie feeling the entire time. The walls are very thin and about 2 am, we could hear everything the gentleman next door said as he stumbled in his room. Overall, it was a great stay and a great location. Hotel staff was kind and accommodating. I would stay again....just for location alone.
1 night romance trip Apr 6, 2015
"Union Square Hotel! A great experience for us"
We really enjoyed our stay at the Union Square Hotel. It was a romantic getaway and we really enjoyed ourselves in this small but cozy room. A little bit of street noise in the late hours but nothing to lose sleep over. Street view room is highly recommended. (The inside rooms face a brick wall). Ruben and the front desk staff are amazing! We got married during this trip and Ruben not only congratulated us but sent up a bottle of white wine to us personally. The cable car pickup is so close. We ended up getting a 3 day pass. This was way cheaper than buying a ticket everytime. Walgreens and great restaurants (like Blondie's and Sushi Boat) all within walking distance. Oh and they even let us use their printer for an unexpected emergency. We brought a lot of our own toiletries and left our 'Do not disturb' sign pretty much the whole time. And when we needed extra towels and TP they were up in less than 5 minutes. Great experience. Highly recommend :D
5 night romance trip Mar 26, 2015
omar
Hotel was over priced,but the location was pretty good
Other trip Apr 4, 2015
Central, with really nice and helping staff. The room was a bit dark, but quite comfortable.
Other trip Mar 26, 2015
"Poor value"
Rooms too small, bathrooms dowdy and cramped. It is 50 years out of date. The fitness center is several blocks away and has virtually no equipment.
4 night business trip Mar 19, 2015
John A
"Not what I expected"
The two good things about this hotel is the location and the hotel clerk was very nice. However, he parking lot sign clearly stated $25 per night, but they were going to charge us $45 per night. Plus they gave us a room that had no airconditioning, it just had a fan with one window. When we opened the window, the street noise was unbearable. Room was small, bathroom was even smaller. So after seeing the room, we checked out and checked in to another hotel across the street.
2 night romance trip Mar 13, 2015
"Nice stay, but missing AC"
Nice hotel in central location. Rooms were clean and comfortable. But being right on Powell St. means lots of street noise. The rooms have no AC units. It was a little warm during my stay so I opened the window and then thr noise is really a problem. If the rooms had AC, it would have been a whole different experience. Overall, nice hotel though.
3 night business trip Mar 15, 2015
Adam
"Love this Hotel and hope to return!"
My 19 year old daughter and I had a great 5 day get away and loved staying at the Union Square Hotel! We typically stay at a Grand Hyatt but wanted to try something different and are so happy that we did. It is a smaller boutique hotel and is super cozy and hip. The location is fantastic and Is steps away to the Trolley, BART, Buses or Taxis. Awesome shopping and restaurants all in walking distance. We felt very safe. The evening wine was very good quality and the gentleman singing acoustic in the lobby during this time was equally enjoyed by myself and my daughter. Our room did not have an air conditioner & we were concerned the temperature may get too warm. I called the front desk & the concierge was quickly at our door with keys to a new room& offered to help move us to the room next door with air. In conclusion, both a 19 & 53 year old agree they would eagerly return and stay at this hotel. Also, rooms are small but who lives in their room in a city like this?
4 night family trip Mar 10, 2015
"Small rooms in a good hotel"
The room and the bathroom are too small! It does not have amenities!
2 night romance trip Mar 14, 2015
Diego
"Good Hotel"
Great experience! In the heart of the city! Fun, Close to lots of places
Other trip Mar 18, 2015
"Weekend Trip"
My boyfriend and I took a quick weekend trip to San Francisco for my birthday, and we chose Hotel Union Square because it was a good price for being right in the middle of Union Square. Parking was a little bit annoying, and we had trouble finding the lot we were "supposed" to park in (hint: it's off of Ellis and it's a ground-floor lot.) We ended up parking in a structure on the backside of the building, which was cheaper per day anyway. The hotel itself was very nice and quirky looking, and all the staff were very polite and friendly to my boyfriend and I. My main complaint is the size of the room. It was ridiculously tiny and I sort of felt like I was sleeping in a cracker box. On the plus side, it was very simple and neat, and since we were really only using it for sleep, it was enough.
2 night romance trip Mar 13, 2015
Shelby
"Great hotel in Union Square"
Hotel Union Square was a great place to stay as it is centrally located to everything...food&shopping! I felt safe and the room was pretty small but cute for one person. I would definitely stay there again!
1 night business trip Mar 11, 2015
Lori
"Cozy room, very warm, with very helpful staff"
The room was rather small, all told, and the bathroom comparably small. It had everything I needed in it, though, and was *very* conveniently located. The staff was really where the hotel shone. They were very responsive, helped me get my bearings, were incredibly friendly ... basically, everything you'd want in a hotel staff, and more. My one complaint would be that we couldn't get the room cooled down. It had radiator heating, and could be turned low, but not entirely off.
Other trip Mar 15, 2015
Crystal
"Enjoyed my stay. Satisfactory."
Was very satisfied with the wi-fi. fast & stable. The room is a bit small, but comfy enough for one person to stay. They let me bring my bike up to the room. And the location is awesome
1 night trip Mar 7, 2015
Ji Hoon
"Nice accommodations in an excellent location."
The hotel is located in the Union Square area. It is just off Market Street and right on the cable car line near the beginning. There is quite a lot of thing to do in the area and you can take the cable care to Chinatown or to the wharf area, ie Fishermen' Wharf, Pier 39, and the Cannery.
Other trip Mar 4, 2015
This hotel was sketchy and gross I wouldn't recommend it
Response by Hotel Union Square
Dear Traveler, Thank you for the review about our hotel. I am sorry that you feel this way but we appreciate the feedback. Thank you for your time, have a wonderful day. Lennin B. Ledesma Guest Services Manager
Other trip Mar 4, 2015
Great hotel, the only problem was that there were no windows to open which made the room stuffy
1 night romance trip Feb 27, 2015
Naomi
"not what I expected"
Very small room. Next to elevator, very noisy, heater barely worked, just not what I expected. Hotel website showed something completely different than what we got when we reservesd the room. Rip off.
Other trip Mar 1, 2015
"small, quirky, good location"
The room was very small but fine for one person. The staff was very friendly, the room was clean, and the location was great for shopping and walking around in the evening.
Other trip Feb 24, 2015
S
"Good location, beware of noise factor"
Hotel had good location very close to public transportation. Price was good for location. However, The street noise was definitely a downside of this hotel.
3 night trip with friends Feb 18, 2015
"Great location and price!!"
Great location and great staff.
3 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015
Soumalee
"Parking"
It was a great location but they should tell you where to park your car, if you are using a car. We ended up driving around for an hour to find it after we got to the hotel. Very frustrating
1 night trip with friends Feb 13, 2015
tara
"Great location!"
This hotel is perfectly located to see all the sites San Francisco has to offer. Many things are walking distance and the cable cars pass right in front of the hotel. The staff were friendly and knowledgable and the hotel itself was very stylish and cool. The only slight complaint I would have is that our room was very, very, small but that would explain the great rate we got. Maybe next time we'll spring for a bigger room!
Other trip Feb 19, 2015
Pabs
great boutique hotel. nice location. clean room. no complaints whatsoever.
Other trip Feb 17, 2015
"Perfect location"
I'm not a huge fan of union square but the fact that you can almost see union square from the hotel and CAN see the muni station makes it perfect. We rode greyhound to San Francisco jumped right on muni and jumped right off a half block from the hotel. Then went all over town via an all access muni pass(includes trolley cars, subway, and busses). Only thing was the room was surprisingly small but was a non-issue for us as we only used the hotel for sleeping! We mostly were out in the town. The wine in the evenings was pretty cool. If you need a ton of amenities pay a little more and go down the street, if you see the hotel as we did, a nice, safe place to crash, this place was great. Couldn't ask for more.
Other trip Feb 17, 2015
daytona
"great"
great location. Close to everything. Happy hour a bonus.
4 night romance trip Nov 30, 2014
Phillip
"Great small boutique hotel"
Got a great last minute rate!
2 night romance trip Feb 6, 2015
Diana
"Beautiful with so much character"
Awesome Hotel! We got a free upgrade to the Dashiell Hammet Suite and it was really nice! the hotel was great, the fact that the parking entrance street was closed was the only complaint. But this is the city's fault not the hotel. It made parking a little bit of a headache.
1 night romance trip Feb 7, 2015