All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here495 Geary St, San Francisco, CA, 94102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Nice hotel. Parking situation is not the best."
Enjoyed stay. Shower has great water pressure. Room was a little small. Overall I would stay again
"Disappointingly expensive"
I read some reviews that were not complimentary but I thought it looked nice (and the lobby IS impressive). The hotel is difficult to get to; very expensive to park your car at overnight (thank goodness there are a lot of parking garages nearby that are cheaper!); the front desk will ask you if you want a location that is quieter - beware - I don't think there is a location that is noise restricted; there are no coffee makers in the room - odd these days, the closet to hang your clothes is right when you walk in the door - then there is a hallway - then the bedroom area; the bathrooms and makeup areas are not woman friendly at all - not like most; the walls are paper thin - actually, the room next door was our entertainment for the evening; for two nights (Friday and Saturday), it cost nearly $500 and we barely could sleep because of the noise! When leaving, the front desk didn't bother to ask us how we enjoyed our stay, good morning, good bye, nice having you stay, nothing...it was like we weren't even standing in front of them. I will never go back to someplace that treats someone as though they can't even see you.
Response by Clift
I am terribly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We are a historical building with unique room features and layouts. If ever a guest is unhappy with their accommodation, we are happy to find an alternative room that will better fit their needs. I understand your frustration with your departure and I assure you this is not they typical level of service we strive to provide. I will absolutely share your comments with my staff and ensure that this experience is used to help coach and develop our staff to the high level of service standards we are typically known for providing.
CDub
"The Clift Hotel"
Great customer service
1 night romance trip Feb 13, 2015
Gabriell
"Enjoyed my stay at The Clift"
It was only a one-day trip but it is still one of the best Ian Schrager hotels around. Stylish, clean, and comfortable.
1 night business trip Feb 12, 2015
"Highly recommend"
Great hotel, clean, nice design, good food and nice service
1 night business trip Feb 12, 2015
"Clift stay was fun"
Great time, we liked the swanky hotel design and Union Square location. The Redwood room really was great before a show. The Vevlet room put on a killer brunch for us, delicious and great service. Only negative was that the shower floor was peeling, a bit gross. Overall, 4 out 5 stars.
1 night romance trip Feb 7, 2015
Jake
"-"
it was great, we are now in the Mondrian in LA..
1 night romance trip Feb 9, 2015
Lilian
"Friday night at the Clift!"
Everything was wonderful. The downstairs is a club scene on a Friday night but you can't hear anything from your room. Great room. Clean and modern. Beautiful views of SF!
1 night romance trip Feb 6, 2015
Cynthia
"Historical Hotel visit & have proper expecatations"
I was attracted by this hotel because it was sheik and looked trendy. First trying to find the entrance to the hotel was a challenge in itself. Having to circle around the building twice we finally found it. Walking into the lobby, I felt that exact way as the photos showed with very cool colors and a fun welcoming area. This had to be the best part of the hotel. Unfortunately, the first room did not have a king size bed for my wife and I but it was a larger suite and we made due. Early the next morning, I was awaken by a loud banging like weights being thrown on the floor like at a gym. I spoke to the front desk who was very accommodating and switched our room to one on a higher floor that had a king. The trade off was a very tiny bathroom but it was on the 15th floor and quiet. The Clift seemed like the hotel to be at on the evenings as it had a vibrant bar scene. I was in and out during my trip so I was not there much. I enjoyed the hotel mostly but there was not really a restaurant to grab a bite to eat and room service was very limited. The staff was excellent and kind. They really made me feel appreciated and that is rare these days.
Response by Clift
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our staff. We do strive to make guests feel welcomed and cared for. I am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced with your initial room and having to move the next day. We have just recently introduced a new menu in our bar and lobby lounge to address the issue of not having a full service restaurant. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Clift.
4 night romance trip Feb 5, 2015
"Clift San Fran"
Quick one night stay for business. great location, close to union square. Lively bar scene.
1 night business trip Feb 5, 2015
"Disappointed."
Staff was great, except in the bar. Doormen were excellent.
Response by Clift
I am sorry that your experience in the bar fell short of your expectations but I am happy to see that the staff in the Hotel were able to make a positive impression.
Other trip Feb 9, 2015
Josh
"Not enough value for the price!"
The staff was pleasant and very helpful. The room was "weathered" and it seemed like it needed a deep cleaning.
1 night family trip Feb 6, 2015
very clean. Close to union square. Nice place
2 night business trip Feb 2, 2015
"Great Hotel! Great Service!"
The staff was amazingly helpful and the room was lovely. The bathroom was a bit outdated and needed some attention. The facets were very hard to turn off and leaked most of the time I was there. Given CA drought situation, this is something you might want to address. The bathtub was a plumbing issue and the sink was a design function issue.
2 night business trip Jan 30, 2015
Staff was very impressive and quite helpful! They went out of their way to get us out of a jam.
Other trip Feb 2, 2015
"Tiny Bathrooms and Big Chairs"
At check-in the kind woman at the desk selected one of their "larger" corner rooms in the chosen room class with "city views" to enhance our one night stay experience. The room was no larger, and probably a good deal smaller than a standard hotel room. The furnishings were oddly "postmodern" with huge mirrors in front of, and behind the bed which dominated the room. Space to pass by the bed was limited, and the clear orange plastic bedside tables, meant to look eclectic, simply looked cheap. While the walk-in closet was enormous, the bathroom, the biggest letdown of the experience was TINY. The sink positioned in from of the door in a tiny ugly cabinet with no space for toiletries or even a toothbrush. The toilet was crammed up against the side of the tub/shower and shower curtain or not the toilet and seat got wet during each shower. The walls of the bathroom looked dirty, and Two people could not be in the bathroom at the same time. The hotel is nicely situated in the theater distract and a short distance to Union Square, essentially "ground zero" in The City. The staff were helpful, and the Redwood Room is a classic and beautiful bar space. There are better options in San Francisco for the price.
1 night family trip Jan 30, 2015
Douglas
"We loved it"
Awesome
4 night family trip Jan 27, 2015
Manzar
"good location but terrible service"
tiny bathroom not clean concierge service terrible
Other trip Jan 29, 2015
nicolas
"Not Quite Up To Snuff"
Clift Hotel was very conveniently located near Union Square in San Francisco. Although this hotel has some charming and unique qualities I think a few missing items like no coffee maker in the room and thin walls between rooms made for a little less than perfect stay. The people in the room next door could be heard as if they were in our room so our first night of sleep was interrupted quite a bit as they seemed to be up talking and laughing all night, in fact we could hear when they toned finally down because room service had arrived. The room was comfortable though and the water pressure in the shower fabulous and quite surprising considering CA is under drought conditions.
3 night romance trip Jan 15, 2015
Sabine
"Stay at The Clift but park somewhere else."
Loved it-Great location except for the homeless/panhadlers but get it- they have to earn money and that is where all the tourists are that do not know better than to give. Hotel way cool, room nice, and desk staff great. Would not use the valet parking- always busy and difficult because cars took so long to be taken care of and parked. We parked in a lot around the corner for the weekend. Cheaper too.
3 night romance trip Jan 16, 2015
Awesome hotel, can't wait to stay again soon. Staff was friendly and helpful, loved the decor, great location
Other trip Jan 24, 2015
"200$ and a cardboard cup of coffee!"
I was disappointed on every level except the comfort of the bed and sheets. Cardboard cups for coffee and nary a piece of toast or even the paper to read. Even the Motel Six has that! Go up Geary Street to the Moulin Cafe for breakfast where the coffee is better and the people are nicer.
1 night trip Jan 17, 2015
margaret
"Needs updating, but..."
Friendly Staff and Very Comfy Bed. Rooms are not all the same size for the same price our friends rooms were twice as big, we stayed in Room 812, it was a shoebox. Hotel overall was fine for one night stay. Would not stay again.
Other trip Jan 20, 2015
Krystal
"Excellent, but thin walls"
Excellent hotel. Very thin walls, though. That was the only drawback.
1 night trip with friends Jan 16, 2015
"Good hotel on the edge of a bad neighborhood"
The only problem I had was the hotel's location. The hotel was clean, service was great, and it was a comfortable room. But you need to know that it is on the edge of a "bad" neighborhood so when you go out the front door you must turn right. When I say "bad" I mean that you have a fair amount of sleaze right next to where it is located. Everything gets better when you turn right.
1 night romance trip Jan 8, 2015
"Great boutique hotel"
Excellent hotel, friendly staff, great location, very comfortable bed
1 night business trip Jan 15, 2015
Matthew
"Loved it! A great urban hotel."
This is a great revamp of an old creaky hotel - I saw reviews from people upset about the old bathroom grout, etc: this is a very old hotel and has new carpets, beds etc but some things are original. I think that's fine! The staff was amazing, very kind and helpful. We had drinks and snacks in the living room, perfect on everything. The bed was very comfortable although the pillows were too flat/too few. Loved the Malin & Goetz toiletries and the shower water pressure was fabulous.
1 night business trip Jan 9, 2015
"Wonderful Hotel"
Our experience at the Clift was a wonderful. The room was simple yet tasteful and comfortable. Service was outstanding in all respects. The location is quite good for a weekend in San Francisco. Pricing quite reasonable for a hotel of this quality in San Francisco. Parking expensive, but valet service excellent.
1 night romance trip Jan 10, 2015
Marc
"Fun hotel, neighborhood on the edge."
Friends celebrating a birthday. Hotel is super fun and friendly. Only bummer is the location is on the edge of the tenderloin, so we were accosted by pan handlers every time we left. Be careful which way you walk to avoid the worst of it. Rooms and bathrooms are very small, but clean with comfortable beds.
2 night trip with friends Jan 9, 2015
lynne
"Hip crowd"
Staff was all very friendly. Hip hotel in the vacinity of Union Square and most likely best value (< $150 night when I stayed). Bar is great and draws a fun crowd so request a room at least several floors up for less noise. Only downside is that the bathrooms are very small.
"Clift - great location"
the location of the hotel is great, works for me perfectly
1 night romance trip Jan 7, 2015
My boyfriend and I really liked this hotel. It's a great location. Walking distance to so many great places. Only complaint I have is the shower. It takes forever to drain. Might've just been our room.
Other trip Jan 12, 2015
connie
"last minute fun!"
Last minute trip to SF on Halloween had an awesome time!!! Clift hosted an awesome party.....definitely will be back soon!
1 night trip with friends Oct 31, 2014
"Great location close to Union Sq"
Great location 2 mins walk from Union Sq. Very comfy rooms, helpful staff at front desk. Had a great experience and would recommend to all travelling with family too..
Other trip Jan 12, 2015
Arif T
"I sent an email regarding issues during our stay."
See email. I sent a very lengthy email already. Not going to re write everything again.
Response by Clift
Thank you for your e-mail and a manager will be personally reaching out to you to discuss your concerns.
Other trip Jan 11, 2015
"Not like it used to be"
Great location near Union Square. I preferred the Clift when it had its old world charm, seen now only in the bar area. The staff were very helpful but the concierge didn't even have a decent sized map of the city. There was no information about what to do in the city in the room. Some bathroom tiles were chipped as were the door frames and the paint on one wall in the bedroom. The decor of the bedroom was mostly elegant but ruined by the orange acrylic nightstands and inside legs of the desk and desk chair. I'd give this 3-1/2 stars. Touch up paint, fix the tiles and get rid of the orange and I'd give it 4 stars.
Other trip Jan 11, 2015
all bar and lobby. rooms are meh. bathroom's umm...petite.
Response by Clift
We are a historical building with many of the charms of old-school San Francisco. We have rooms with many variations of design and layout to accommodate the various needs of our guests. Should you ever be unhappy with your original room, the friendly Front Desk Staff are available 24 hours to fins the perfect room for your comfort.
"San Francisco visitor"
Could Improve in the checking in
2 night trip Jan 4, 2015
erasmo
"The Clift fell off"
Expected the venerable Clift got Mondrian nightmare. Horns honking all night. All the charm is gone. While the service was still very good the nightmare quality of the lobby still lingers in my mind The room decor lacked color and was sterile. You had to walk into a pitch black room to reach a lamp with an odd power switch to get light. Had to call front desk for instructions. Won't be back--too bad for San Francisco to lose such a fine Edwardian hotel.
1 night family trip Jan 3, 2015
"Nice, close to union square"
Very welcoming, the staff made our stay very pleasant, however they DID NOT advise us that if you walk in certain direction you'll find yourself in a very bad neighborhood. The concierge and front desk staff were amazing, and the hotel is contemporary. Our first night a fire alarm went off, and there was an order to evacuate, However the hotel staff check immediately and found that there was a false alarm, unlike another hotel in Houston in which the staff took forever to let us back in the room. On a negative note there beggars on the side walk but I think the hotel can not do anything about it, but request more police presence
Other trip Jan 10, 2015
Henry
"great hotel and great location"
Great location and very cool lobby scene. Comfortable (soft) bed.
1 night business trip Jan 7, 2015
"Great place to stay when the price is right"
Great place to stay. It's convenient to Union Square. You'll love this place. Don't pay over $250 a night though. It's not worth more than that in most cases.
1 night business trip Jan 7, 2015
"Great location, comfy beds, time to update the car"
Great locattion, hreat lobby, and for th e most part the service was nice. Rooms were spacious and comfy beds, the carpet on the floor could use some updating.
1 night romance trip Jan 7, 2015
I love the feel of this hotel. It is clean, modern and conveniently located. The only problem is that the walls are very thin. So I always hear conversations in the adjacent rooms. It could be annoying sometimes if you have loud neighbors.
Nadia
"Classy hotel in a great location."
Staff was great, easy checking in and out. Doormen at the doors were helpful. Room was nice but no fridge/micro. Found big clumps of hair on the bathroom walls and a shaving razor. Many food/clothing spots within a block. Would stay again, I'm sure they don't always forget to clean the room well.
Other trip Jan 9, 2015
Location was convenient, near many restaurants and shopping. For the most part safe part of SF.
Other trip Jan 9, 2015
"Well Oiled Machine!"
Friendly Staff and Seamless Check in. Given best room possible in my Category! Couple of Drink Tickets for the Adjoining Lobby Bar! Hip Scene.....! Given the utmost attention when asking any questions to the Staff. Housekeeping and Room Service was prompt and my wish was their Command!......I felt that I was dealing with a well oiled machine and couldn't be happier with the Rate!! I sang Hotel.coms praises to everyone! Thanks Again for the Stay!! A Happy Guest, Eric Baptista.
3 night family trip Jan 4, 2015
"1st time in SF"
My first time in San Francisco and the smoothest hotel experience I've had to date. Check-In was easy, the entrance and lobby were beautiful, room was clean, comfortable and quaint. The exquisite hotel bar made it easy for my friend to meet me and hang out. Would definitely stay again.
2 night business trip Jan 5, 2015
"Lots of waiting"
The hotel was really understaffed. Took forever for the one person at the front desk to get through the line of people waiting to check in and the lobby is like a night club. Valet also took almost 30 minutes to get my car while there was no one else ahead of me.
1 night trip Nov 28, 2014
I traveled with my boyfriend and we did not take kids. The decor is fascinating in the lobby, aka "living room". There were international travelers and the staff was very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. I would definitely stay there again.
Other trip Jan 8, 2015