All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
495 Geary St, San Francisco, CA, 94102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Rooms are too small for the price!"
I paid a total of $568 for my room and was shocked at how tiny it was! I'm 6'5" and felt trapped in there. There was barely enough room to edge by the end of the bed and the bathroom was miniscule.
Response by Clift
As a historical building, we have many different styles and configurations of rooms. If ever a guest is uncomfortable in their room, the front desk is standing by to assist in finding the right accommodations for your needs.
Other trip Mar 22, 2015
Emily
"4 out of 5 stars"
The valet parking is a bit absurdly priced at $52 per night plus a 14% tax. When I checked into my room I was given a room on the 3rd floor. I went to my room and it smelled horribly of cigarette smoke. I called to the front desk and they changed my room to a lovely room on the 16th floor. That definitely made my stay that much better. It was a bit of a pain to have to go to the lobby to get my coffee in the morning. The lemon/cucumber water was a nice touch.
Response by Clift
I am pleased to see that the Front Desk was able to turn your stay around by quickly resolving your room issue. Thank you for your wonderful comments and we hope to welcome you back to Clift.
2 night romance trip Mar 13, 2015
Amber
"Quite different"
Staff was great,!, the only issue I had was for the price the room was tiny and we supposedly got a bigger room not true. Parking is complicated make sure you call down 15 minutes in advance. Bar becomes a night club okay if your in your 30,s
1 night romance trip Mar 14, 2015
"weekend fun"
Awesome stay! had a great time. Hotel was fantastic!
Response by Clift
We think you are awesome too and look forward to welcoming you back to Clift!
1 night trip with friends Mar 13, 2015
edgar
Perfect location and proximity to shopping at Union Square. Staff was super friendly and accommodating. The Redroom was great for getting snacks and a drink after shopping all day. Overall room was clean and comfortable.
Response by Clift
Guest satisfaction is our top priority and I am pleased to see we hit the mark with your experience! Thank you for the wonderful comments.
Other trip Mar 16, 2015
"Don't stay in a room with adjoining door. A+ hotel"
I usually stay at the Clift Hotel when I'm in town. The rooms are nice and comfortable. All the staff are helpful, accommodating, and most of all nice. One major tip: DO NOT GET A ROOM WITH AN ADJOINING DOOR. You can hear every single conversation from your neighbor. My neighbors were up until 5am and I couldn't sleep. Fortunately, they changed and upgraded my room for the following night.
3 night trip Mar 6, 2015
Nelson
"nice but past its prime"
Location was great, staff was friendly, bed was comfortable and the stay was nice, but the hotel could use a little bit of updating. The curtains and other décor seemed dingy and dusty in the room. I can tell 10 years ago the room was top notch but now it just seems a little past its prime.
1 night family trip Mar 7, 2015
"new years at the clift"
Stayed fro new years eve.
1 night trip with friends Dec 31, 2014
Greg
"So noisy"
we had a room right next to the elevators and it was ridiculously loud with drunk people coming in at 2:00AM. Woke both of us up for hours. Walls are paper thin and bathrooms are tiny. Not in a great location. I wouldn't recommend this place unless you're just in the city to party.
Other trip Mar 9, 2015
"Great for young couples"
Nice, modern hotel. Small bathrooms with grea bathroom amenities. Union Square area is a little trashy but the oasis inside the hotel lobby is a great escape. Nice weekend lounge vibe downstairs for latenight.
1 night romance trip Feb 28, 2015
Sage
"Good hotel but soured by overnight parking charge"
Clean and comfortable. Good location is visiting SF as tourist. I'd did not use restaurant, bars or room service. Overnight parking $52 I found to be outrageous. Totally gouging.
1 night business trip Mar 5, 2015
Danny
"Great stay in SF"
The Clift is great... Redwood room is nice for a pre-evening cocktail and also turns into a bit of a scene at night. Hotel staff were helpful and friendly as well. Rooms are quite old though and are in need of maintenance and updates. Neighborhood is a bit shady but never really felt unsafe... thats SF for you.
2 night romance trip Feb 13, 2015
"Nice weekend getaway"
getaway weekend. Hotel staff very polite and friendly. Room with City view best above 6th floor. Room with King was smallest but had a good design aesthetic.. clean lines with color accent. Located near many fine restaurants and shopping. Three blocks from BART, so quite walkable.
3 night romance trip Feb 20, 2015
"Nailed It!"
Great atmosphere, room was modern & comfortable, wonderful city views. I'd definitely stay again!
1 night romance trip Feb 22, 2015
"Not our type"
the hotel was nice everyone was friendly & accomodating. Our room was small particularly the bath room. They did not have shelves or drawers for our clothes. You basically live out of your suitcase.
3 night romance trip Feb 20, 2015
MICHAEL
The staff at the hotelwas prefect! Very nice and made you feel safe. The decor is cute but the restroom in my room needed some grout work and flooring badly! That was the only downfall otherwise I would have loved this little place.
Response by Clift
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your stay! I am happy to see that you enjoyed your experience with us. We are currently working on a project to refresh our bathrooms which will take care of the one issue you mentioned in your review.
Other trip Feb 24, 2015
"Gone girl"
Rooms were small for the price.
Response by Clift
We are a historical building with many different styles and layouts of rooms. If ever you feel that the accommodation provided is not comfortable for your needs, the Front Desk can always locate an alternative room that will better fit your needs.
1 night romance trip Feb 21, 2015
"Coitus and marajuana"
Well for starters the whole hallway reeked of marajuana! And the couple next door was so loud all night. The room was nice and the bed was so comfortable, I will definitely go back againh but what went wrong definitely botherd me.
Response by Clift
I am truly sorry that not all of your experiences at Clift were positive on your last stay. I assure you that we do address issues of odor immediately and charge any guests who smoke in our Hotel as we are a non-smoking establishment.
1 night trip with friends Feb 20, 2015
Pretty luxurious, bed is comfy and they have a great nightlife/bar.
Other trip Feb 23, 2015
Gina
"A Wonderful Retreat!"
We requested and we were very pleasantly given a complimentary upgrade from a deluxe king to a studio suite. The king bed was in a cozy sleeping alcove and the living room had a large window with a sunny view of Nob Hill. We had early check-in to unpack and then went to a theatre matinee. Returning to the hotel, we had a cocktail in the historic Redwood Room. Our room was so inviting and comfortable, we used room service for dinner and breakfast the next morning. We wanted a relaxing escape and the Clift proved to be perfect.
Response by Clift
I am so pleased to see that you had such a wonderful experience! We do try and make all of our guests feel welcomed and cared for and I am happy to see that we hit the mark with your experience.
Other trip Feb 23, 2015
"Ok"
Stayed at this hotel just after it opened and it was great. But the rooms have not been updated since. Carpets definitely need replacing.
Response by Clift
We understand the importance of keeping our product looking fresh, which is why we are constantly working on projects to keep rooms comfortable and appealing to our guests. This year, Clift is celebrating our 100th anniversary and will be making some wonderful changes to our Hotel.
4 night business trip Feb 17, 2015
Matthew
"Great Stay at the Clift in San Francisco!"
The staff is terrific in every area. I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it.
Response by Clift
Thank you for your wonderful comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Clift!
2 night business trip Feb 18, 2015
Cynthia
"Great SF Hotel"
Great place to stay for business or pleasure. Brand new feel. Did it for a night and would definitely stay here again.
Response by Clift
I am happy to see we made a great first impression and that we will be seeing you again in the future. Hopefully next time you can stay a little longer!
1 night business trip Feb 15, 2015
Matthew
An elegant hotel in a great location.
1 night business trip Feb 16, 2015
"Great SF Hotel"
Perfect for a quick stay. Close to Union Square. Fun Staff
1 night romance trip Feb 18, 2015
Timothy John
"Mixed feelings..."
PROS: - Very Convenient Location- Union Square, close to all major transportation - Great Customer Service at Check-in - Rooms were clean, neat and decently spacious CONS: - Very thin walls mean you get hear everything from outside the hotel and in hotel (hallways and neighboring rooms) - This one is a big one: The hotel has it's own lounge and it gets pretty populated after work hours. During the short time we spent in the lounge we noticed there were a lot of women walking around that were there to find "business". One even openly solicited to my friend. I would expect that kind of thing at a club or some independent lounge but not a 4-star rated hotel.
3 night trip with friends Feb 12, 2015
Anmol
"homophobia"
Awful harrassment
3 night romance trip Feb 15, 2015
andrew
"Valentine's Day Weekend"
Room was small but great for a quick weekend stay. Bed was comfortable and room service was quick and attentive. Parking is way too pricey, adding about $50/a day to your bill. However it's centrally located and seems to be the "it" spot with a cool bar/lounge inside the hotel. Will be coming back!
2 night romance trip Feb 13, 2015
"Cool lobby"
Good enough hotel. They spent most their money making the lobby and bar look nice. Rooms are tiny but typical of SF. AC didn't work very well. Bathrooms need to be updated. Theme of the room was cool. I liked all the mirrors.
1 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015
Anthony
"*****Awesome Hotel*****"
Had a great stay in this hotel, very clean, our room smelled brand new, the bar lounge was great too, excellent location.
Other trip Feb 19, 2015
Miguel
Second time, last time was 13 years ago. As an architect, I appreciate the details and humor.
Other trip Feb 18, 2015
B
Responsive staff. Good bar. Needs more food options.
Response by Clift
We are currently working on new menus for both our Bar and our Room Service Menu. We will have wonderful new options and more options available starting in March!
Other trip Feb 18, 2015
joel
"Will stay again."
everything was great, the location is close to everything and the bar within the hotel is a great place to start your night or actually spend your night.
2 night trip with friends Feb 13, 2015
Pablo
"If you LOVE noise, this place is perfect"
We came for Valentine's weekend, which granted I guess is an actual holiday, but our hotel was a non stop New Year's party. The hotel staff that we interacted with were all friendly, the style of the hotel is nice, and our room was spacious and comfortable. We were all set for a great weekend. Friday night came and we tucked in around midnight, only to find out at 2am that our walls were basically made of paper, and we got to hear word for word the couples argument going on in the room next to us. Saturday night the hotel lobby turns into a scene of people with cocktails milling around, to the point that we had to show our room key 3 times just to prove we were guests and get to the elevator. There were groups gathered in the hallway, noise & chatter until the early hours of the morning. All in all, the hotel was beautiful and our room spacious, but we couldn't get a wink of sleep. For that reason, I would not return.
Response by Clift
I am sorry to hear that you were unable to fully enjoy your experience here at Clift. Valentines Day was also President's Day weekend and therefore the Hotel was very busy with special events, which in turn made for a more lively environment. We do respect the need for relaxation in our guest rooms and will send Managers to assist with any noise issues from other patrons that may be having too much fun.
SteeleTravels
"Swanky & Posh Boutique Hotel"
From the moment we checked in and had our car valet it was such a great experience. The room was so beautiful and we had an amazing city view room on the top 16th floor. The redroom bar was so elegant and the alcohol prices were perfect and the bartenders were great and quick and made the drinks perfect! Highly recommend staying here! Can't wait to revisit The Clift again!!!
Response by Clift
You can't wait to revisit and we can't wait to welcome you back!! Thank you for your wonderful comments and I am so happy that your experience was a memorable one.
Andy
"Great place to stay! Central & chic."
Everything from door man to checkout was wonderful. Would stay here again!
Other trip Feb 17, 2015
"Great hotel in perfect location."
Not the most luxurious considering the price, but very cool atmosphere (though you could also just get this by having a drink at the bar). Our room was comfortable and clean, though I wish they had sound proofed windows.
Tiffany
"We will stay there again"
Fantastic hotel, responsive staff and beautiful decor, leaning modern and eclectic. Classic bar (the Redwood Room). The neighborhood is a little sketchy with panhandlers and homeless, but we never felt unsafe.
Response by Clift
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our staff and services. We strive to creating lasting memories for all of our guests and I am happy to see that you had a positive experience.
2 night business trip Feb 13, 2015
Jonathan
Love the modern look!
1 night romance trip Feb 14, 2015
"End of my Stay:"
I had an excellent time at the Clift! Great posh hotel in the middle of San Francisco --- the lighting was dramatic & theatrical, just the right tone for relaxed seduction & power exchange. The staff was great! Except when I was leaving... My bellboy Edgar was ok, till he got distracted by my Ampao Chinese New Year envelope w/ his tip after he placed my bag in my BFs vehicle. He did not close his trunk & I ended up reaching high for it & finishing his job--- after I tipped him too. That's the only reason I can't find it in me to place an EXCELLENT review on the staff category. He seemed very young & has much to learn in the hospitality industry.
Response by Clift
I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your overall experience here at Clift. I am sorry for the interaction upon departure with our bellman. This is not the typical level of service we strive to provide and I assure you that there will be coaching by his Manager to help improve upon his level of service. Thank you again for taking the time to provide this constructive feedback.
Tanja
"Location was great!"
Hard to pull luggage as carpet doesn't allow you. Feels that you're not suppose to pull a luggage? Crazy! Bathrooms need a Sserious Update!
Response by Clift
Thank you for your constructive feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve our product and are continually working on projects to keep our hotel looking fresh and comfortable for our guests.
Alex
"Nice hotel. Parking situation is not the best."
Enjoyed stay. Shower has great water pressure. Room was a little small. Overall I would stay again
"Disappointingly expensive"
I read some reviews that were not complimentary but I thought it looked nice (and the lobby IS impressive). The hotel is difficult to get to; very expensive to park your car at overnight (thank goodness there are a lot of parking garages nearby that are cheaper!); the front desk will ask you if you want a location that is quieter - beware - I don't think there is a location that is noise restricted; there are no coffee makers in the room - odd these days, the closet to hang your clothes is right when you walk in the door - then there is a hallway - then the bedroom area; the bathrooms and makeup areas are not woman friendly at all - not like most; the walls are paper thin - actually, the room next door was our entertainment for the evening; for two nights (Friday and Saturday), it cost nearly $500 and we barely could sleep because of the noise! When leaving, the front desk didn't bother to ask us how we enjoyed our stay, good morning, good bye, nice having you stay, nothing...it was like we weren't even standing in front of them. I will never go back to someplace that treats someone as though they can't even see you.
Response by Clift
I am terribly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We are a historical building with unique room features and layouts. If ever a guest is unhappy with their accommodation, we are happy to find an alternative room that will better fit their needs. I understand your frustration with your departure and I assure you this is not they typical level of service we strive to provide. I will absolutely share your comments with my staff and ensure that this experience is used to help coach and develop our staff to the high level of service standards we are typically known for providing.
CDub
"The Clift Hotel"
Great customer service
1 night romance trip Feb 13, 2015
Gabriell
"Enjoyed my stay at The Clift"
It was only a one-day trip but it is still one of the best Ian Schrager hotels around. Stylish, clean, and comfortable.
1 night business trip Feb 12, 2015
"Highly recommend"
Great hotel, clean, nice design, good food and nice service
1 night business trip Feb 12, 2015
"Clift stay was fun"
Great time, we liked the swanky hotel design and Union Square location. The Redwood room really was great before a show. The Vevlet room put on a killer brunch for us, delicious and great service. Only negative was that the shower floor was peeling, a bit gross. Overall, 4 out 5 stars.
1 night romance trip Feb 7, 2015
Jake
"-"
it was great, we are now in the Mondrian in LA..
1 night romance trip Feb 9, 2015
Lilian
"Friday night at the Clift!"
Everything was wonderful. The downstairs is a club scene on a Friday night but you can't hear anything from your room. Great room. Clean and modern. Beautiful views of SF!
1 night romance trip Feb 6, 2015
Cynthia
"Historical Hotel visit & have proper expecatations"
I was attracted by this hotel because it was sheik and looked trendy. First trying to find the entrance to the hotel was a challenge in itself. Having to circle around the building twice we finally found it. Walking into the lobby, I felt that exact way as the photos showed with very cool colors and a fun welcoming area. This had to be the best part of the hotel. Unfortunately, the first room did not have a king size bed for my wife and I but it was a larger suite and we made due. Early the next morning, I was awaken by a loud banging like weights being thrown on the floor like at a gym. I spoke to the front desk who was very accommodating and switched our room to one on a higher floor that had a king. The trade off was a very tiny bathroom but it was on the 15th floor and quiet. The Clift seemed like the hotel to be at on the evenings as it had a vibrant bar scene. I was in and out during my trip so I was not there much. I enjoyed the hotel mostly but there was not really a restaurant to grab a bite to eat and room service was very limited. The staff was excellent and kind. They really made me feel appreciated and that is rare these days.
Response by Clift
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our staff. We do strive to make guests feel welcomed and cared for. I am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced with your initial room and having to move the next day. We have just recently introduced a new menu in our bar and lobby lounge to address the issue of not having a full service restaurant. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Clift.
4 night romance trip Feb 5, 2015