All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
You can collect Welcome Rewards® nights here450 Powell Street, San Francisco, CA, 94102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Warm, wonderful staff and great location!"
I came down a day early before a business conference and decided to try the Sir Francis Drake for one night before moving to the conference hotel. I wish I had booked all my nights here! From Alonso at the front desk, to the welcoming staff at the guest happy hour, everyone was so warm and wonderful! The hotel interior design is beautiful but it's an older hotel so the bathrooms are small but overall well kept. As long as you're prepared for that, you'll love your stay. Give it a try! I'm glad I did.
1 night business trip Apr 24, 2015
Kathryn
"getaway"
awesome location, wonderful service. Older crowd at hotel and super thin walls so always felt we had to be extremely quiet.
3 night romance trip Apr 23, 2015
sheri
"Perfect location for weekend trip"
Great hotel in a great location. Rooms were a bit small but we made it work. There is a refrigerator and safe in the room which was a bonus. The pillows were made of feather (and I'm allergic to feathers) so that was a negative. They also only gave 2 pillows per bed and both my boyfriend and I like to have 2 each. Daily happy hour was awesome as was the view from the Starlight Lounge.
2 night romance trip Apr 24, 2015
Roya
"SF Stay great"
Great location and beautiful! Room was small but comfortable!
1 night family trip Mar 17, 2015
veronica
"Pleasant except for the elevator wait"
Overall, the stay was pleasant except for the delays caused by malfunctioning elevators. The wait and subsequent walking down 15 flights of stairs was not pleasant. Moreover, the checkout process was difficult due to the delay.
2 night romance trip Apr 17, 2015
"Charming"
The hotel is aged but charming. It is also in a great location. However, the price to valet is ridiculous.
2 night trip with friends Apr 17, 2015
"San Francisco from Union Square"
Bathroom very small. Bed a little lumpy. Other than that we enjoyed our stay. Our room with a sofa was nice and roomy. Enjoyed the 5pm complimentary wine! All the staff was very friendly and helpful. Adjacent restaurant had a very nice breakfast. Especially high marks to the helpful and friendly concierge.
5 night family trip Apr 6, 2015
Alison
"Sir Francis Drake"
Good stay. The $10 card when you forego the maid service is a nice idea, I wish more places did that.
5 night business trip Apr 5, 2015
"Business trip with time for shopping"
I was here on business but had a lot of free time. This was ideally located for getting some shopping done! DSW, Victoria's Secret, Express, Sax Fifth Ave, and way more literally on the same block or just one down from the hotel doors. The restaurant left something to be desired (I only got room service but it just didn't wow me in anyway for being a Kimpton but the burger (aside from the fries) was quite good. The staff though was great. I ended up not eating with colleagues every night and was alone and exhausted so ordered take out - they were so great about letting them come directly to my room to deliver! It was a dream. Bar was nice but gets really busy esp during their happy hour for guests. Rooms are classic SF small but comfortable and really nice CO Bigelow toiletries. The biggest downside was no fridge in the room not even a mini bar which proved quite difficult for keeping my samples cold. Most Kimpton's I stay in at least have a mini bar fridge.
3 night business trip Mar 28, 2015
Rachel
"Awesome Historic Hotel"
This is a beautiful historic hotel. Room was sufficient size but bathroom was really small which we knew when we booked the room. It would have been better if there was a mirror over the desk instead of a picture so you could use it for a vanity. If you don't like hearing noise from the street below you might want to ask for an interior room. Leif and Michael, the concierge were helpful when planning how to see all of San Francisco. Eddy the doorman is the best, he was recommended some really good places to eat and have fun. I wasn't impressed with the nightclub in fact I felt the staff up there to be extremely rude.
4 night romance trip Mar 26, 2015
Jacqueline
"Awesome location"
A little expensive, but a great location.
4 night family trip Mar 27, 2015
Abe
"Unimpressed"
Although the rooms have been updated, they are very basic. They advertise "free Wifi" but then require that you join their club or else you have to pay. There is a valet service but overnight parking is $68.00 - wish these details had been disclosed.
1 night romance trip Mar 20, 2015
Jamie
"Fun Girls getaway"
Great location, super cute rooms and old style chic. I used to come to the bar in the lobby of this hotel as as a little girl with my parents and always wanted to stay here. Only drawbacks are the bar and restaurant closed at 11pm, so after dinner drinks were not possible. We went upstairs to the starlight room to get a cocktail at 11:30 and while the view is amazing, it doesn't draw a fun crowd. But that's ok, we were tired anyhow.
1 night trip with friends Mar 6, 2015
Korina
"Dirty, noisy, and terrible service."
This hotel was dirty, noisy, and did not have hypoallergenic pillows, also did not answer the line for housekeeping or front desk for an hour while I was trying to get a non-feather pillow. I would not recommend.
1 night romance trip Feb 21, 2015
Lauren
"Newies Escape"
We had a great time. Bed was a little hard formy liking.
1 night romance trip Feb 20, 2015
"tiny bathroom"
The manager at the Starlihgt room was vey rude. P illows were bad. Bathroom was tiny. Overall its was a OK Hotel
2 night romance trip Feb 16, 2015
Kimberly
"Impeccable customer service at Sir Francis Drake"
The service at the Sir Francis Drake was impeccable from the moment we arrived. The courteous and prompt staff attended to every request to make for a memorable experience. The concierge went the extra mile to ensure reservations for us at exclusive restaurants, offered local knowledge and followed through with professionalism. The Sir Francis Drake hotel has such a rich history and has a prime location in the city. The staff could certainly have visitor fatigue, but there wasn't even a hint of it. A five star experience.
3 night romance trip Feb 12, 2015
Ron
"A solid 3 Star hotel"
Noisy.
1 night business trip Feb 11, 2015
"Weekend Fun"
We had a wonderful time from the moment we got there! The beds were comfortable, amenities were fantastic and couldn't have asked for better service! Thank you!
1 night trip with friends Feb 6, 2015
"Pleasant but a little run down"
Pleasant enough place to stay but a little run down. The rooms were small and poorly lit, my toilet ran incessantly and the bathroom was very small with nowhere to put your toiletries (a pet peeve of mine). I'm not terribly fond of Union Square but it's not a bad place to base your explorations. Staff was nice and friendly, the bar was pretty good.
2 night family trip Jan 29, 2015
"Underwhelming"
Disappointing. Mediocre, cheaply decorated room in a tired hotel fraying about the edges. No way is this a four star hotel.
4 night business trip Jan 27, 2015
"Right there in Union Square"
Kind of unique in a quirky way. Rooms/bathrooms on small side but that's San Francisco! Cable car right outside, precious. Can be rather noisy at night. Staff very obliging. Worth a visit, highly recommend.
Other trip Jan 26, 2015
Mym
"Not the best way to spend the holidays."
We went to San Francisco for the holidays and wanted to stay at a classic, festive, centrally located, and spacious hotel. The Sir Francis Drake is defiantly classic and you could not ask for a better location however, the accommodations were not what we expected. The room was so small that when we first arrived we thought they had made a mistake. What we thought we booked (according to the pictures) and what we actually had was not the same. It is hard enough spending the holidays away from home but then to be stuck in a small room did not make it any better. There was no refrigerator, there was no room to move around, and only one mirror and since it was in the bathroom it made it difficult to get ready. The bed was hard and the walls thin. I'm only glad that we didn't spend a lot of time in the room or we would have suffered from claustrophobia. The staff was nice and the holiday decorations were lovely but that is about all that I can say. I think the next time we will try other accommodations.
3 night romance trip Dec 25, 2014
"Don't accept room 15"
After we got stuck in room 2015 we found out that that's where they put people who book standard room on Expedia. It must have been a storage room/closet at some point. It's about 10 ft wide by 20 ft. and they don't even have a door on the closet because you wouldn't be able to open it (bed is in the way). I assume the "15" rooms on all floors would be the same but didn't check. Thankfully a really helpful guy at the front desk moved us to another room the second night. Much better! If it wasn't for the room 2015 experience I'd give this place 4 stars. It's nice but for over $400 a night they shouldn't be cutting corners they way they do; basic cable (no HBO, expensive On Demand), soap/shampoo dispensers rather than mini bottles, really cheap toilet paper, no continental breakfast... I don't care about these things but they detract from the atmosphere I assume they're trying to create with the decor.
Other trip Jan 25, 2015
"Treat Yourself!"
Great mini vacation place. Near Union Square and fine dining.
1 night romance trip Jan 18, 2015
Cynthia
"Good hotel but other than history nothing special."
Hotel was adequate for my needs. I didn't require a lot of service. Good location.
2 night trip Jan 16, 2015
Christopher
"Cute hotel, close to everything, older"
The hotel staff was friendly and very helpful. The location of this hotel is perfect, walking distance to shops, restaurants, shows, etc! The hotel room (queen-deluxe) is small and older, but clean. Our bed wasn't very comfortable and squeaky. The noise from Union Square can get loud on the weekends so if you're looking for quiet and serene, this is not the hotel for you. But our stay was nice and I would recommend for a night or two especially if you are on foot and want to be close to everything.
Lacey
"Don't get the room right outside elevator! Noisy N"
We were given room 1715 literally outside the elevator and it was awful. The noise was loud and when I told the front desk when we checked out they didn't seem to care. It is a beautiful hotel but if there was another room that would have been better.
1 night romance trip Jan 10, 2015
"Horrible service at the Sir Francis Drake"
Over priced, rude customer service, valet is horrible. Don't stay on 20th floor if light sleeper or have an early event the next morning( they didn't tell us about the nightclub on 21st floor). Valet workers were rude and unhelpful. I recommend they don't be a host hotel for events in the city if they can't handle guest with respect and courtesy. Will not stay here again or recommend to anyone.
"Great SF hotel"
Great hotel, based around Sir Francis Drake, legendary explorer. Beautiful lobby and bar area, comfortable rooms. Great area as well.
1 night business trip Jan 9, 2015
Samir
Overall, a nice hotel with lots of charm! But the rooms are small!
Other trip Jan 14, 2015
"The smallest room imaginable"
It was a lovely hotel. Very classic and the service was excellent. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I was a little suprised when I got to my room. It was soooooo small. I actually got out of bed and was in the bathroom. No extra steps, in the bathroom. And there was no room for a trash can in the bathroom. That was irritating because I had to carry my trash into the room. It wasn't that far, but it was inconvenient. Had I paid full price for the room, I would have been very unhappy. It was nice to say I stayed there, but I don't think I would do it again.
Colleen
"weekend get away"
Other than a little peeling paint the room was impeccable. Everything was clean and close to all the fun stuff we wanted to do for the weekend.
1 night romance trip Jan 10, 2015
"Great Hotel. Perfect Union Square Location."
Great location in Union Square. Love the decor, very fun! The Bar on the top floor has great views of the city. Nice lobby!
3 night romance trip Sep 6, 2014
Kasey
"Decent place"
Decent hotel, just disappointed a room was almost $300 a night and still got charged $67/day for valet....
1 night romance trip Jan 9, 2015
"Noisy"
Great location, but if you are staying on the weekend it can be extremely noisy. My room was on the 19th floor (two floors under the Starlight room) and the music/bass was incredibly loud until 2 am. Staff gave a room credit, which was nice but doesn't quite make up for the sleep deprivation. If you are on a lower floor, this hotel is really fun and in a great location.
2 night trip with friends Jan 9, 2015
"Sir Francis Drake Review"
My fiance and I went for an over night stay at Sir Francis Drake this Saturday.This​ particular​ overnight was a getaway-from-the-kids type of trip, which only happens for us once in a blue moon and we had wanted it to be special.Our stay got off to a bit of rough start.The original reservation was for a grand king room. I called a week in advance to confirm my reservations and was assured everything was good to go.Upon arrival,we were informed the grand room we had booked was not available and they were moving us to a deluxe room and would give us complementary breakfast for the inconvenience.I informed them we already had planned to go to brunch in the Starlight Room and asked if they would be able to take care of that for us instead,to which they agreed.So they were trying to make good on this.I had read similar complaints on Yelp before we booked here,which is exactly why I CALLED A WEEK IN ADVANCE!The first impression of the room wasn't great.On top of the already smaller room we were given,there was a pull out cot in the middle of the room when we got there,why it was there I have no idea. But we called down and someone came up fairly quickly and removed it for us.The view wasn't spectacular and the bathroom was pretty cramped. But,being that they put us in a corner room we decided to make the best of a little disappointment.Overall the hotel is nice.I dig the old world charm and the staff was nice.
1 night romance trip Jan 10, 2015
Comfortable stay. Location is wonderful. Older hotel so rooms are small.
Other trip Jan 12, 2015
"Well located, faded glory"
Staff was excellent, service was good. Facility condition is a B-. Room was very small and cleanliness level was not good. There was a significant amount of dust on the wallpaper near the heat vent in particular.
Other trip Jan 12, 2015
james
"Classy"
Love this hotel, very classy, great restaurant. Pet friendly with no pet charge.
2 night romance trip Nov 21, 2014
"Loved the Sir Francis Drake"
Loved the Sir Francis Drake. Only negative was the street noise was too loud. We were on the 14th floor in a corner room. The view was great - we could see up Sutter and Powell streets. But we could hear the traffic noise at night, even with a white noise machine. Other than that, we loved the hotel. Great location in Union Square, very friendly staff, nice coffee reception in lobby each morning, and complementary wine hour at 5pm. Room was small but comfortable, and had a nice size TV.
3 night romance trip Jan 5, 2015
"Wonderful hotel, great location."
Wonderful old hotel, right at union station, cable car stop is right there. Centrally located especially if you like to walk. Everyone at the hotel was very helpful, would definitely stay here again.
2 night romance trip Jan 6, 2015
cynthia
"Okay Night"
Great location but a bit rundown. Very small rooms and dirty stained windows that take from the city views.
Other trip Jan 8, 2015
JCo
"ok"
I book this hotel for my husband birthday we checked in a little late to go to the lounge startligt room in the same hotel, the front desk person told us that they already did last called when at 12:am when the place closed at 1:30am I was not satisfied at all won't be staying here ever again my experience was not good
1 night romance trip Jan 3, 2015
Dina
"Not a do over."
The hotel is right in town so there is no parking. We were charged $60+ for one night. Since our stay was to be short we really didn't want to take all of our luggage out of the car, but we were advised to take EVERYTHING. We were there on Christmas, so practically nothing was open. In a return trip.....this hotel would not be a do over.
1 night romance trip Dec 25, 2014
"Nice hotel central location"
The hotel is beautiful inside and out. Staff are friendly and attentive. Wine out was a huge Plus! Room is small but that is to be expected in this area.
Other trip Jan 5, 2015
Jo
"Sir Francis Drake"
This Hotel is in the busiest shopping district in SF. During the Holiday season it is a madhouse around this location. Small rooms, but didn't expect anything more, the hotel is around 100 years old. Beautiful architecture inside and outside the property, and close to many restaurants and other attractions. Chinatown is right around the corner.
3 night romance trip Dec 26, 2014
Excellent hotel, excellent service and location. Bathroom is a little small but overall excellent experience. Totally recommended.
Other trip Jan 4, 2015
"Sir Francis Drake"
bed was not comfortable at all which had the potential to ruin the overall experience.
5 night romance trip Dec 28, 2014
"Close to everything."
Had a great time. Rooms small but very clean. Friendly staff and overall a very nice hotel
Other trip Jan 3, 2015