All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
450 Powell Street, San Francisco, CA, 94102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

• Bar
    Bar is awesome
    Delicious food
    Room is not nice
    Uncomfortable
Hotel was great. Had problem with the amount charged for valet parking, don't think I would do it again.
3 night family trip Jan 29, 2016
Victor
"Would love to stay again."
Fast check in, vallet parking, large corner room. There's a great bar on the top floor that you need to check out!
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Julie Sweet and to the point. Thanks again for staying, and hope to see you again soon. Cheers, Erica Peterson Hotel Manager
1 night romance trip Jan 23, 2016
"Tower of Terror"
The location is awesome! It's very walkable to/from the BART system, tons of shopping and dining, sightseeing, the Moscone Center, etc. The hotel itself, however, resembles that of the Tower of Terror at Disney - everything from the decor to the outfits of the staff to the elevator door not closing to the TVs not working and the windows leaking when it rains. Then the service... I call at 11pm to report the TV isn't working. Their response? "We don't have anyone that can look at it until 7am. Call me back in the morning." It rains that night. Window leaks everywhere. So I call back about the TV and report the leak. Their response? "An engineer will be right up!" One hour... Two hours... No engineer. I leave. I come back many hours later and although the TV was now working and the window was dried, there was no apology, offer of any credit for the inconvenience, or even an attempt to ensure I was happy. I would not stay here again or recommend it. There are so many hotels in San Francisco!
2 night business trip Jan 18, 2016
Rachel
"Extremely Disappointing"
I was headed to a business conference in Concord, CA. Instead of checking into the hotel in Concord early, I made a last minute decision to spend the night in SF with my husband for a special night of fun. All my life I had heard how special the Sir Francis Drake was. There were few rooms avail in SF so I was thrilled to hear that one was available at this hotel. I decided to splurge and spend the $750 plus for one night's stay. When we got there, apparently it was JP Morgan week. Which is fine, however the hotel was packed. When shown to our room, we were in a shoe box overlooking air ducts on the top of the building. We couldn't get a drink at the bar, the concierge never left directions that I requested to be held for me at the desk. In addition when returning to my room at 11pm there was no bottled water in the room. When I called to ask the front desk to send someone to up to the room they told me they couldn't as the kitchen was closed and the bartender ran out? Ran out of water? Lastly when I went to check out I politely and calmly explained to the attendant at the front desk that I wasn't overly pleased with my stay. He basically told me that it was JP Morgan week so there was nothing they really could do. Everything seems to fall on deaf ears. I left deflated:( The only good thing about our visit was Eddie the doorman who greeted us upon our arrival. He was very friendly, super helpful when it came to the area etc.
1 night romance trip Jan 12, 2016
Molly
"Excellent!"
Excellent hotel. Everything in SF is small, so tiny room and bathroom to be expected. Overall clean, courteous, and easy to get to.
2 night trip with friends Jan 14, 2016
"Don't let them give you Room 833."
This was a disappointing stay. I gave the hotel three stars for its overall quality, but my husband and I personally felt our expectations weren't met. We booked a "deluxe king" room with a city view, but were assigned to a minuscule room with a queen bed, a comically tiny bathroom, no coffee maker, and a "view" of the windows of more hotel rooms. We actually couldn't find the room at first because it's not directly on the hallway but down an "alley" of sorts—I suspect it's some kind of converted storage area. Voices from the hallway sounded as if they were right next to the bed, and the heater was so loud and thumping that it sounded exactly like being in the boiler room of a ship. The air pressure was so forceful that it continually rocked the bedside lamp, making a sort of woodpecker noise that similarly made it hard to sleep. Neither my husband nor I got more than five hours of (highly interrupted) sleep. We were in a rush on check-in trying to make a dinner reservation, so I didn't have time to deal with it then, but I did hope the desk staff would ask how our stay was when we checked out so that I could provide some polite feedback. They didn't. So I guess they'll have to get their feedback here...
1 night romance trip Jan 9, 2016
Kirstin
"Not ideal for a family stay"
Room was not ready on time. We had to wait an hour over their stated check in time. Room was very small and not ideal for a family. They double charged me on the final bill, so that was another inconvenience I had to work out a week later. Hotel customer service was overall poor and highly inefficient. Will not return.
2 night family trip Nov 27, 2015
Nicole
"Great location, decent hotel."
Room was clean, service was efficient, hotel was reasonably quiet even though we were there on New Year's Eve. We were four people in one double room and managed not to trip over each other. The only thing we didn't enjoy was the cocktail hour wine service -- it would be a nice amenity but the wine was terrible and there were too few comfortable chairs in the mezzanine where it is served.
3 night family trip Dec 29, 2015
"Old school charm in a great location!"
Love, love, love this place! With the exception of the exorbitant $59 per night parking fee this place is the best! Excellent service from the front desk to the lobby bar to the restaurant staff to the maid service. This place is very "old school" charming; with just the right amount of "weathered" look and feel; and is located in the perfect neighborhood for walking EVERYWHERE!
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Thanks Cal for the great review. Sorry about the valet parking. Don't forget there are self park garages within a block so you can spend that $59 on San Francisco memories. See you next time. Cheers, Erica Peterson Hotel Manager
Cal
"Perfect location"
It was very good the only bad thing was the elevators, only were 2 available and the walls of the room are very thing and you can hear anything. The concierge service amazing
8 night romance trip Dec 24, 2015
rafael
"Good hotel, with a lack of organization."
We stayed at this hotel one other time and had an issue with late check-in and this time their system was down so it took a very long time to check-in and they couldn't provide room keys right away, so someone had to escort us to our room. We went down before dinner to get our keys and they told us to wait in the 30 minute check-in line again. We decided to wait until after dinner so we ended up getting our room keys around 10:00P.M.
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Elizabeth, Thanks for your feedback. I am so sorry you arrived the day we had a system outage and weren't able to make keys. That's why we were escorting guests to their rooms. I know it was a large inconvenience for you and I'm sure other guests. Thank you again for your patience in waiting so long to get your keys. All my best, Erica Peterson Hotel Manager
1 night family trip Jan 2, 2016
"Good location, but overpriced for the value."
It was nice. A short stay as we checked in around 6:00pm and left right at check out. The upstairs bar / dance area was fun on Saturday night!
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Jamie, Next time stay a little longer. We'll be waiting... Cheers, Erica Peterson Hotel Manager
Jamie
"Beautiful but needs a few amenities."
Room was nicely updated for older hotel. View of Union Square great. Bath room counter too small and no vanity. Also, would be nice if it had coffee in the room. Other than that the hotel and lobby is beautiful and love the doorman.
1 night family trip Dec 26, 2015
Old bathtub, tiny bathroom, view of construction, not soundproof (heard noise from outside the hotel).
1 night romance trip Dec 23, 2015
I paid extra for an extra large room after reading reviews about the tight spaces. The room was lovely but the bathroom was really tiny. The service was slow and the staff seemed somewhat overwhelmed due to all of the freebies offered (wine from 5-6, coffee in the morning).
2 night romance trip Dec 25, 2015
Melinda
"Great stay."
Always have a great stay here. The rooms are decorated nicely and the staff is very friendly. They still offer the wine hour even though they have a bar. It is in a great are where you can walk to everything. I love that you can hang a card on the door to refuse cleaning and they will give a $10 credit at the bar or restaurant. A great incentive to save water.
1 night romance trip Dec 24, 2015
"Happiness"
Wonderful time with family and staying at Sir Frances Drake to celebrate early Chridtmas.
2 night family trip Dec 21, 2015
Great location! No parking. Must valet for $60 dollars a day. Otherwise very fun. Located next to union plaza. Walk to china town.
2 night family trip Dec 18, 2015
Hotel is classy, beautiful old San Francisco architecture. It's not a chain hotel where a room in San Francisco looks identical to a room in San Antonio or Sacramento. Check-in was quick, and the staff was friendly.
3 night trip Dec 18, 2015
Gail
Are room was not ready until 5:00 PM.
1 night romance trip Dec 20, 2015
Eugene
Staff was very good.
1 night business trip Dec 16, 2015
"Great location, great staff"
Efficient check-in, friendly staff. Room is super small and only one tiny trash can. Great if you are only sleeping in the room and don't need to do work there, etc.
5 night business trip Dec 7, 2015
"Festive holiday destination"
Great location for holiday gathering with friends in festive Union Square.
2 night trip with friends Dec 9, 2015
"small and expensive room"
the room was very small and due to a huge block in front of the window I was not able to open the window. Very small window to begin with
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Thank you for your honest comments. We do have larger room options for future reference. Unfortunately, the windows don't open for the safety of our guests. Thanks again, Erica Peterson, Hotel Manager
5 night business trip Nov 28, 2015
"Sir France's Drake"
Tiny claustrophobic rooms. Old towels. Dirty tub. Dirty hair dryer.
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Craig, Yikes, so sorry about this. I will definitely address with our housekeeping staff. We don't want our guests to experience dirty anything! Some of our rooms are tiny, but we pride ourselves on making everything else in the room perfect and clean. I am so sorry we did not give this to you. All my best, Erica Peterson, Hotel Manger
2 night trip with friends Dec 2, 2015
Craig
Fun place to stay and is located in a perfect SF location.
Ken, Thank you, come back again for more fun! -Erica Peterson, Hotel Manager
2 night family trip Nov 26, 2015
Ken
"AWESOME HOTEL"
A beautiful hotel everyone so helpful.Everthing is at your finger tips.Room service for breakfast was great the sever was very nice and happy!!!!!
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Kathy, Thanks for the props! Come back soon. Best, Erica Peterson, Hotel Manager
1 night romance trip Nov 27, 2015
"Perfect Union Square Holiday Hotel"
We love this hotel. It makes you feel like you've stepped back in time with its old elegance. The Christmas decor was beautiful. They offer a complimentary wine hour and coffee in the early morning in the lobby. The Starlight room at the top of the hotel is wonderful - very romantic. There was an issue with the water temperatures in the shower - either too hot or too cold. The front desk took $800 out of my bank account as I used my debit card when I checked in (for incidentals - I had already paid for room in full beforehand) rather than holding $300. Due to the Thanksgiving holiday it took a couple days for them to correct the mistake, but they were helpful in doing so. We were charged $17.99 for movies which we never watched but they removed the charge for us. All in all it was a fantastic stay.
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Barbara, Thanks for everything, and staying patient while we worked to make things better for you. Yes debit cards can be tricky when checking into a hotel-so I'm happy we were able to get it straightened out so quickly. Hope to see you again in the future. All my best, Erica Peterson, Hotel Manager
3 night family trip Nov 25, 2015
"Great Stay at a Classic Hotel"
This was our first stay at the Sir Francis Drake and it was great. The neighborhood cannot be beat for its location-walking distance to Chinatown, Little Italy, North Beach, Nob Hill, Coit Tower, the wharf and right on the cable car line and Union Square. The staff was friendly and rooms were cozy (not large but large enough to accommodate three people comfortably.) Only complaints; the bathroom was small and the room did not have a coffee maker. Otherwise, really great.
1 night family trip Nov 25, 2015
Colin
Very nice; appreciated upgrade to 2 queen beds; bathroom too small; lobby beautiful; restaurant excellent
3 night family trip Nov 22, 2015
Lorraine
"Great hotel - small room!"
Love the location and the hotel style. Staff was super. Room was super (way too)small. Other than that - great stay!
3 night business trip Nov 17, 2015
Lynn
"Good hotel"
COMFORTABLE AND ENJOYABLE
3 night trip Oct 29, 2015
ROLLAND
"Loud and horrible pillows"
Very loud neighbors you could hear through the walls and construction traffic outside at night. The pillow was so hard it hurt.
Other trip Nov 4, 2015
Loved it loved it loved it. Only wish there was a mirror outside bathroom as was with a group and made getting ready a bit frantic
2 night trip with friends Oct 30, 2015
"Fantastic location in the center of SF"
Great weekend in SF. We were in town for a wedding but also had time to do some shopping and sightseeing. This was a fantastic central location for everything and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful
2 night romance trip Oct 23, 2015
DANIEL
"Disappointing."
Tiny box of a room, mouldy air conditioning, water running ceaselessly. Insanely overpriced. A shame, because this is a great looking hotel. High marks for the Starlight room up top, however.
Other trip Oct 18, 2015
"Nice Hotel - Great Location"
Very Nice Hotel in the center of San Francisco at Union Square. Beautiful architecture. Sadly, the bathroom was dinky. Not what I expected from a nice hotel.
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Dear Guest, We are a 1928 historic building that went through a renovation in 2011. Our bathroom size is very typical of the 20's era, but hope we can change that soon. Thanks! Jim Gross, General Manager
Other trip Oct 9, 2015
"Great views of Union Square"
Convenient location in the heart of San Francisco
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Thanks for the positive review; we are in the heart of SF close to great restaurants and world-class shopping.
2 night trip with friends Oct 4, 2015
abdou
"A terrific boutique hotel!"
My wife and I started our week vacation at The Sir Francis Drake hotel. We chose this hotel as a result of the reviews on Hotels.com. Those reviews were all positive and our stay was equally positive. The Sir Francis Drake hotel is an older renovated, romantic, boutique hotel with all the ambiance one could ask for...starting with mahogany and oak wood walls in the lobby to the costumed bellman greeting you as you arrive. The rooms are small as one would expect with an older hotel but the rooms are comfortable, quiet and very clean. The bathrooms are also small but that should be expected as well. The location of the hotel is convenient to Union Square, Chinatown, the Italian section and the pier. The hotel also sits right on one of the lines that the cable car utilizes. One of the hilights of this grand hotel is their conseirge, DJono. As first time visitors to San Francisco, we required daily advice and he was tremendously helpful. He pointed us to restaurants, activities in the city as well as arranged a rental car for us to use on a day trip. He most positively contributed to our lovely visit to San Francisco. The Sir Francis Drake Hotel is worth your considerations when planning a visit to San Francisco.
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Dear Richard, Thank you for spending the time with us. You couldn't have said it better - our hotel, staff, location and the service. We hope that you enjoyed exploring San Francisco! See you soon. Jim Gross, General Manager
3 night family trip Sep 19, 2015
"Quick visit to San Francisco"
Alfonso and Chris were extremely helpful and friendly.
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Dear Guest, Wow, another mention for Chris and Alonso! Thanks for your kind words and I'll make sure to pass this on. See you soon. Thanks! Jim Gross, Genearl Manager
2 night romance trip Sep 24, 2015
"4 day San Francisco visit"
Were greatly assisted by Chris and Alfonso on Reception who were most helpful and kind.
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Dear Kim, Thanks for mentioning Chris and Alonso's names in your review. I can thank them for providing you with an excellent service! Hope to see you soon. Jim Gross, General Manager
2 night romance trip Sep 26, 2015
Older hotel with class. Good central location, accommodating staff.
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your 5-star review as well as your wonderful comments. We are a 1928 historic building that went through a renovation in 2011. I'm glad that you found our staff accommodating. We hope to see you soon. Jim Gross, General Manager
2 night trip with friends Sep 26, 2015
"Classy Classic"
This is a great classic hotel. Very classy! Great location. Walking distance to BART, Union Square and Street Cars.
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Dear Todd, Indeed, 1928 historic classic it is! Thank you for staying with us, and hope you enjoyed San Francisco! Hope to see you soon. Jim Gross, General Manager
2 night trip with friends Sep 25, 2015
Todd
Beautiful rooms. Only complaint is I wish we had rooms on a higher floor.
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Dear Kristina, Thank you for a 5-star review. Hope you'll get to stay on a higher floor on your next visit. Cheers, Jim Gross, General Manager
2 night business trip Sep 25, 2015
Kristina
We wanted to stay a night in the city so decided to look up some good hotels in the union Square area. Upon check in I confirmed with the check in desk that I am getting a superior king room which is what I paid for. They confirmed and said yes. When I opened our room it was shocking how small it really was. There wasn't much room to walk or entertain anybody. The room seemed very old and even the shutter on the window wasn't working properly. My friends then advised me to call the front desk to find out whether I was given the right room as it was quite small. So when I called I was told that my room was a queen room and not a king room and that was done because some rooms weren't functional that night. Thereafter they told me they would offer me $100 in credit because there were no other rooms available to move us too. First of all I had some friends over and they had no place to sit or move around so $100 credit didn't make solve the problem but even then the hotel did not want to credit it back to my card. I explained that we all just came back from dinner we cannot possibly spend a $100 and yet they said since we booked through hotels.com I would have to contact them. So I did and received a refund of $100 within seconds. So overall I had a bad experience with the room, customer service of this hotel.
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Dear Guest, Although, some of our rooms do not have a separate sitting area, we have several rooms that are called Grand King rooms. I am glad that you received a $100 credit, and please know that it is a normal procedure that every guest go through when the reservations are made through 3rd party. Sincerely, Jim Gross, General Manager
1 night romance trip Sep 26, 2015
"Extremely noisy all night long"
We were in an awkward shape room with excessive noise! Street trash hauling going on all night! Sink backed up when you brushed your teeth.
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Dear Guest, I am sorry to hear that the trash pickup truck woke you up. We try our best to keep up with the regular maintenance and hope the sink was fixed if you called. I appreciate your feedback. Jim Gross, General Manager
Other trip Sep 27, 2015
"Never staying in the City again.."
We decided to book with this hotel because of the history of the hotel. We were in town to get married, and the hotel was convenient to Saint's Peter and Paul Church and our reception restaurant. We were not impressed with the room overall. The room seemed cold and empty, perhaps it was the dated decor. We had a view of what seemed like a wall, that's about it. No City lights, just a back wall. The room service took so long, we cancelled the service..better off bringing in your own meal. The worst experience was with the front desk receptionist, who wrote down the wrong room number on our room evelope, pass card did not work, so a hotel employee with a master pass let us in..only to find a naked man laying on his bed. The envelope indicated 707 when it should have read 702! The valet service took us 45 minutes to get our car, good thing we had time and not in a rush for a flight @ SFO. The most impressive part of the hotel, are the valet staff out front. Whatever they are getting paid..can't be enough, they are friendly and knowledgable. ~ Bottom line, after this experience, we will neer stay in any hotel in San Francisco again. It's just not worth it..especially with all the garbage just outside of the hotel.
2 night romance trip Sep 18, 2015
GRACE
"Super Location"
This was my second stay so I did know what I was getting. The hotel is old. It's beautiful and full of character. Rooms are so small, bathroom doors didn't stay closed on either stay. If charm is what you like this is the place.
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Dear Cindy, Thanks for your return visit! You are right that if you like the history and the classic style of a more modern style hotel, we are it! Although, our location is very hard to beat! We look forward to your another visit soon! Jim Gross, General Manager
3 night romance trip Sep 10, 2015
Cindy
"Very nice hotel, loud from street noises"
This is a lovely hotel with recent renovations which still capture the time in which it was built. There is no way to block all the street noise - our room was on Powell St, where the cable cars run, so throughout the day you'd hear the dinging of the cars. Also, we had rowdy neighbors who came back to their rooms at around 2 on Saturday morning, yelling and having a good time. They seemed to stay in the hall for about 15 minutes, but at least one of their own shushed them at some point. The wine hour is a nice touch, option of red or white, and they have a snack as well. If you are a Kimpton rewards member (free), you'll get a $10 credit for use in the bar or mini-bar. Check out the Starlight Room - great views of the city!
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Dear Amandar, Thank you for your review. It sounds like you enjoyed our hotel. Please know that our rooms facing away from the streets are quieter and also provide some views. Thank you for joining our Kimpton Karma program - you'll get more than a free WiFi connection! Thanks! Jim Gross
Other trip Sep 22, 2015
Amandar
"Great staff! Okay hotel"
I experienced quite a few problems in my three day stay at Sir Francis Drake - many of which are likely because of its age (The age lends a beautiful quality as well). The staff were excellent! They were on top of any issues I had, immediately helpful, and with a smile. The staff certainly made the place! That said, when next I'm in San Francisco I may choose another bed in which to sleep.
Response by Sir Francis Drake, a Kimpton Hotel
Dear Nick, I appreciate your candid comment! I am sorry to hear that there were few problems, but I am glad that my staff could help you quickly. We are a 1928 historic building, but try our best to maintain its beautiful quality. We hope to see you again. Jim Gross, General Manager
Other trip Sep 22, 2015