All hotels in San Diego, California, United States of America

"Above expectation"
Wonderful part of our holiday trip that included Vegas for New Years that was marvelous. The staff and ambiance of the Hotel exceeded our expectations.
3 night romance trip Dec 27, 2014
Leo
"Excellent stay"
Hotel is excellent, it's service, cleanness. Actually not so big room for 2person but very comfortable and satisfied to stay in the room.
3 night family trip Dec 28, 2014
Yoshikazu
"Classy old hotel"
Classy old hotel in a convenient location near the Gas lamp district. We walked to Balboa Park (about 1.5 miles away) and the park is fantastic with the Zoo and several museums. We booked a "suite" but the reality is that the "suite" just has a half wall between the bed room and the sitting area and it was not really any bigger than a standard room. The only problem was with the size of the bath room. This older hotel has really small bathrooms and it is so small that there is no place to set a toiletry bag.
Other trip Jan 2, 2015
Vic
"NICE STAY"
IT WAS A GOOD STAY
4 night romance trip Dec 24, 2014
Pamela
"Nice Luxury Hotel Stay"
We stayed at the US Grant for our San Diego vacation in mid December of 2014. The hotel itself is really beautiful: it's easy to find since the exterior is a gigantic mass of limestone and lit up at night; there were several weddings we saw taking advantage of the gorgeous interior; the rooms themselves were modern with lovely artwork. I also took advantage of the fitness room, which had a decent amount of weights and cardio equipment and complimentary bottled water/headphones (awesome!). The free coffee at the Grant Grill in the morning was a plus. While the service we got from the hotel staff and concierge was excellent and the amenities above average, there were a few drawbacks. The wifi is wildly expensive - $17/day if I recall correctly. We also were supposed to get a nicer room with a standup tub, but were placed in a room with a shower. Also, the room could get pretty noisy at night. There was some kind of parade going on one night and a Harley gathering at the mall across the way the next night, which we could definitely hear in our room. Despite this, the hotel has a unique history which I enjoyed reading about, the room service was excellent, and the staff lovely. I would still give the hotel overall four stars.
Other trip Dec 29, 2014
Tori
"Always Excellent"
This is a favorite hotel; we seek it out when we are in San Diego. Everything about it bespeaks elegance without pretension: service, décor, comfort.
3 night romance trip Dec 23, 2014
"Nice, but I think its haunted."
Everything was great, really nice staff, newly renovated, everything works..but too many things did not make sense. I couldn't find a necklace, looked for it everywhere all night. It reappeared on top of my bedspread the next morning. Things got moved around after a short trip to the store downstairs (5 mins). A small blanket which I put away was found crumbled up on a perfectly made bed next to a pair of slippers in the middle of the room. I have never experience this kind of things before, I don't think its my imagination.
Other trip Dec 28, 2014
"We loved this hotel!"
This historic hotel was wonderful! The rooms were plush with beautiful linens and towels! The lobby was decorated for the holidays with about 40- Christmas trees large and small so it gave us Christmas spirit! The staff was very courteous and accommodating. The breakfast in their restaurant was delicious with beautiful music playing in the background so we felt completely relaxed! I would go back again in a heartbeat!!!
2 night romance trip Dec 21, 2014
"Expected more of Starwood."
We were expecting a much better refurberation of the rooms. Bathrooms were so small we had to keep our ditty bags outside thebedrpomand go get items as needed.
1 night romance trip Dec 23, 2014
gary
"Old world luxury enjoyment"
Over the years have experienced numerous luxury hotels and the Grant stands out as one of the best. Thoroughly enjoyed the stay, it's staff's attentiveness, and well appointed room. I highly recommend to anyone who wants to get away while in the midst of the city.
Other trip Dec 22, 2014
"Perfect for this trip!"
My stay at the US Grant was a last minute decision, so I was able to secure a great rate (same day booking). The lobby, service, location of this hotel are all 5-star. The rooms however, fall short of this bar. My room was a legacy suite - the "living room" was the size a small bathroom. I actually opted to lay on the bed for TV viewing. The bathroom the size of a big closet. Carpeting was rather worn and the room was extremely noisy (this old doors needed to be slammed shut). However, as the title implies, this was perfect fit for this trip - mostly due to location and price. I'd stay again at the same rate, but definitely not at the normal rate...
1 night trip Dec 12, 2014
Rodney
"Not worth the money"
We picked Legacy suite room thinking that it will be bigger&comfortable than a standard room but was disappointed because the room is too cramped/small for a suite, for the price we paid its not worth it . 5 stars for location and the bed&its beddings
1 night romance trip Dec 14, 2014
Brenda
"Luxurious lobby, not so luxurious room"
We love the location, super convenient. The staff was friendly and the lobby was beautiful. But the room wasn't all that for a luxury accommodation. All you could see from our bedroom windows was the hotel roof, actually the red Christmas lights shinned into the room the whole night. Bathtub drain was clogged and there was A raging party all night just bellow us. When I called to complain at 11pm they told me to turn on my AC to drown out all thumping hip hop music! Luxurious lobby, not so luxurious room. Won't be back.
Other trip Dec 19, 2014
billis
"Great hotel close to major bars & restaurants."
The staff as a whole were extremely helpful and not to mention friendly. My room was always stocked and clean.
Other trip Dec 16, 2014
Eddie
"The best of San Diego"
Beautiful Hotel
1 night family trip Dec 13, 2014
"Beautiful hotel tarnish by BAD SERVICE"
What distinguishes a 4 from 5 star hotel is not the beautiful surrounding, but the service. I arrived after driving 90 minutes in the rain to discover that I forgot my wallet, cane, and business cards. I tried to check in, but was not allowed because I did not have a credit card to pay for "incidentals." I only wanted to lie down for a couple of hours after a grueling drive and wait out rush hour. I reminded him that they had 4 nights prepaid. I verified they allow guest without credit cards with a cash deposit. They could block me from purchasing incidentals. He told me that I paid through Expedia, so "it didn't count." I returned to speak with a manager. All she could do is stand, nod, and cite policy. A good manager knows how to defuse the issue, calm a guest, and make a guest leave happy. She was obviously poorly trained. I never got a follow up from the general manager. Part of being a front desk clerk is judgement. A 4 night prepaid guest is a GOOD RISK for a 3 hour stay. If he bolts "without paying," the hotel still has 4 nights stay. I also did not like being treated like a second class citizen because I used Hotel.com/Expedia. I reminded them I was an Expedia Gold member and that Expedia takes our opinions seriously.
4 night business trip Dec 3, 2014
warren
"A Collision of Comfort and San Diego History"
Best beds and great large comfortable bathrooms. Fantastic location and friendly staff.
1 night business trip Dec 2, 2014
Shelley
"One night after a scrumptious turkeyday feast!"
The Executive Chef, Mark Kropczynski, greeted us at one of the stations and then took the time to outline the many delicious stations for us to sample. Later, he dropped by to add us to his email list and spent a few minutes of his very busy day chatting. We will be back for Easter and Mother's Day. This is a gourmet adventure celebrating the "taste bud". A must when in the area.
Other trip Dec 4, 2014
"Hotel in gas lamp"
Very comfortable bed and bathroom. Kind of creepy vibe for a luxury hotel but I think they might be going for that style. Needs hallway carpet replaced. Excellent cleaning staff. Food service is delicious. Gas lamp area is your typical scary downtown with great food, lots of young homeless people and bars. Oh and scary abandoned building right behind hotel
Other trip Dec 3, 2014
medstudent
"Beautiful Hotel but...."
Beautiful hotel. Steep on parking so be ready. Overall stay was great. Good location for hitting the town and walking. We would stay again :)
OG
"Treat yourself..."
The property is fantastic The staff is very welcoming and customer-focused. My thanks to all especially Paul and Cecil.
ZB
"Hooray for luxury!"
Wonderful! Everything was terrific in this first class establishment.
2 night family trip Nov 26, 2014
"Splendid stay."
Everything the Hotel had control over was exceptional. We stayed a Saturday night, and are not bar-hopper types, so we stayed in the room and vegged. Lots of traffic and people noise from the street below into the early morning hours, but nothing can be done about that so we are not complaining. You CANNOT beat the location! Walking distance to EVERYTHING that makes GasLamp. I wouldn't suggest bringing the family but prefect for adults. If you like a historic feel then this is the place. Rooms are small but that was how they were in 1910 when this place was built. Absolutely beautiful inside. While the room was modernized a "turn back the clock" feel definitely is present.
Other trip Dec 1, 2014
"Great location walk to everything."
It was a beautiful hotel which was well maintained. The staff were very nice.
Other trip Nov 30, 2014
Brina
"Lovely and Small, still fabulous"
Booked the least expensive king sized room and ended up on the fourth floor. It was a bit small but the decor was great and everything was new and nice . But SDG&E was ripping up the street right under our windows ( which didn't open either) so the next day was a bit jarring! The amenities are wonderful like a shower cap and a sewing kit, and all the robes and towels are great too. We'll come back yet try a bigger ro on a higher floor. It's a lovely hotel and we did love it too.
2 night trip Nov 17, 2014
Elaine
The US Grant was everything it was promoted as. I was a little disappointed as to the process of getting the room. The advertised price through Venere was 169.00 and when I went to check out of the website it was 220.00, I called and was told it is a live site and that could happen, I don't like buying something for one price and have it switched on me when I go to buy it. Not sure I will use that site in the future for that reason.
Other trip Nov 26, 2014
"Elegant Hotel in the Heart of Downtown"
The US Grant lives up to its name as a member of The Luxury Collection. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the foyer is elegant and welcoming, and the service exceptional. I would definitely stay here again.
Other trip Nov 26, 2014
Ian
"Historic bldg in Gaslamp area"
Beautiful historic hotel with a courteous staff; very disruptive other guests made our stay less enjoyable
Other trip Nov 24, 2014
"Charming Gas Lamp District Hotel"
Easy to find downtown hotel. Professional staff made our stay very comfortable. Nice room with great bathroom and a full length mirror.
Other trip Nov 23, 2014
AndrewT
"san diego"
Was in a perfect location for play, nice old style hotel. Would stay there again.
L
"Great location!"
Went to San Diego for the weekend and stayed at the US Grant. Upon arrival we were greeted by Paul who gave us a quick tour of the main floor and brought us to the hotel check-in area. Everyone bent over backwards to welcome us....very impressive!!!!! The next day was different. Seems that we arrived on the same day the hotel was hosting some of their big wigs so everyone was putting on quite a performance. The next day everyone was much more relaxed. The service was still good but nothing like it was on our arrival. The hallway carpets on our floor looked awful! I know it's a historic building but they need to address those carpets. The curtains in our room had some stains....I don't think I want to know.....? The sink in our bathroom had some nasty gunk stuff around the faucet. I honestly don't know if I would go back.
Other trip Nov 15, 2014
Rosie
"A real gem"
I travel a lot. This hotel ranks in my top 3 favorite hotels. Will come back again.
2 night business trip Oct 29, 2014
Jhett
"Beautiful Historic Hotel right in the heart of SD!"
Staff was knowledgeable, friendly, the hotel itself is beautiful, I never waited more than just a few minutes for my car from the valet, I was treated with kindness, respect and not once did I feel un-welcomed. I was so impressed with the fact that your staff from valets to your wonderful bartender did not hesitate to stop and help me when I needed assistance.
Other trip Nov 3, 2014
Tessa
My family arrived at this hotel at night. It was not easy to find the parking lot. The room condition and room setvice was great. But this hotel does not have the swimming pool. For kids i do not think it is good place.
Other trip Nov 3, 2014
a
"NO A 5 START HOTEL !!!"
Very old pipes with poor water pressure took 10 minutes to take a shower...No coffee in the room, hiding fees everywhere.
1 night romance trip Oct 25, 2014
Alejandro
"The go-to classic for downtown San Diego"
Historic and elegant hotel is in great shape for it's age. Rooms were comfortable and everybody working there was great. The restaurant bar downstairs had live music until 11pm on Saturday and we had a great time. We live locally (Rancho Santa Fe) and this was perfect for a night at the Symphony downtown.
Other trip Oct 30, 2014
KH
"Nice hotel conveniently located."
This hotel is amazingly beautiful and conveniently located. With a superior staff our stay was unforgettable.
Other trip Oct 20, 2014
Colette
"beautiful hotel"
not crazy about paying $42 for parking,staff was great,great historic place,good fitness center.
1 night trip Oct 8, 2014
Hotel was fine but not up to standards of a 5star hotel. It needs a lot of work.
1 night trip Oct 4, 2014
"I would definitely return here for my next trip!"
Amazing staff that attended to every need with professional attention and positive attitudes. The room is huge and very well appointed. The Grill downstairs had great drinks, less than stellar food. Walking distance to lots of great dining and entertainment.
3 night business trip Oct 2, 2014
Ruth
"Close to everything"
We enjoyed our 4-night stay very much. The hotel service is outstanding with help in getting transportation, dining reservations, entertainment tickets, etc. public transportation is very accessible from hotel for both buss and trolley (light rail). In downtown close to Horton Shopping Mall, Historic Gas Lamp District, Little Italy, museums along the water front - about 8 blocks away. Had a great stay and Hotel has a lot of history linked to it as well as a very nice art gallery.
4 night trip Sep 27, 2014
"Centrally located to major attractions"
Great hotel overall - classic luxury. Real pity about no safes in room to lock up valuables - strange omission I thought.
Other trip Sep 28, 2014
Lex
"Our new favorite in downtown San Diego"
We travel to San diego often and this hotel is By far the best value for a 5 star. Excellent location. Fast wifi. Professional staff
2 night business trip Sep 21, 2014
Too bad they charge so much for overnight parking!
1 night trip Sep 12, 2014
P Kooren
"Great location and the hotel staff was outstanding"
We stayed at this hotel for 14 days straight and every day was pleasant. The hotel staff always offered us complimentary bottles of water and they would also ask us how our stay was going and if there was anything else that they could do for us. We received great tips from all of the concierges on the best way to get around town and where to go. The US Grant is where we will stay when we come back to San Diego.
Other trip Sep 18, 2014
New SD Fan
Great service, clean rooms, comfy beds and the food is amazing! I might have to go back next month just for those truffle fries haha & the Valet guys were friendly & funny :)
2 night business trip Sep 12, 2014
Christina
"Nice getaway in downtown San Diego"
Sometimes, you just don't want to sleep in your old bedroom with your girlfriend at your mom's house. This was a nice one night stay in downtown. Very close to the gas lamp district and night clubs/restaurants. We, however, ate at the restaurant inside the hotel and were quite pleased with the atmosphere and service. It's a lovely, historic hotel that's been nicely upgraded. Room was great.... everything made for a nice, romantic weekend. Breakfast in the hotel was fantastic. Nice service the whole time. A minor note, but the valet service was fast.
1 night romance trip Sep 12, 2014
"Amazing historic hotel"
Great service, beautiful room, nice valets, and a delicious restaurant.
Other trip Sep 12, 2014
business travel
"What a Treat!"
We booked a Landmark suite because the description said two televisions were included in these rooms. My DH is an early riser, and I am not, so we appreciate two rooms, so he can get up and watch tv or whatever, as I am catching up on must needed beauty sleep! We valet-ed the car, walked into the gorgeous lobby to check in at 2:pm. We were greeted by Paolo, such a friendly front desk guy, who gave us room 802. When we went to the room, we were kind of surprised by the size of the room...it was VERY small, but more important to us, it only had one television. I called the front desk and was greeted by Cynthia, called me right back and explained that we were given the only Landmark Suite that had one tv! She stated that we would be moved to another room, yet none were ready yet. She would store our luggage, until our room was cleaned and then would call us. At 4:pm, Cynthia called and told us our room was ready. We walked back to the hotel, tore our eyes away from the chandeliers long enough to get the room keys and soon were on our way to what the front desk called, "The Best Landmark Suite in the Hotel." (Room 1002) Well, they weren't kidding! This room was about double the size of the first room, had two tv sets, a city view (parking lot, airplanes landing, city lights)! We loved it! Great turndown service in the room, a fully loaded bar and a nice bottle of wine in room available for purchase. My DH and I went to the bar and had a cocktail before retiring. Slept Great!
1 night trip Sep 10, 2014
Cynthia
"I little disappointed....no, more then a little..."
We have always wanted to try the US Grant but somehow usually end up elsewhere. We are frequent visitors to San Diego. We got what was billed as a Superior room. It was very small with an end table on only one side of the bed. I had to set my glasses, etc. on the floor. We had a beautiful view of the air conditioning vent and a section of the roof (room 341). Very disappointing.The hotel had the opportunity to pick up some return business, but now I'll go back to the hotels by the water. I do give the valet staff high marks, very courteous and quick.
1 night trip Sep 6, 2014