All hotels in Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States of America
187 Monroe Ave Nw, Grand Rapids, MI, 49503, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

4.8
"Satisfied with service"
Amway Grand Plaza is a beautiful hotel and lives up to its reputation of being a 4star hotel!! I enjoyed my stay and felt very safe!!
1 night business trip Aug 18, 2015
"The place to stay"
All the staff were great!
2 night business trip Aug 16, 2015
"Convenient but underwhelming."
My husband and I booked the Amway for a last minute weekend trip to visit the GR-area breweries. Location is convenient for walking around the downtown bars and easy to navigate to highways. We found the front desk to be understaffed and rather abrupt in manner, but all of the housekeeping people we interacted with were absolutely lovely. The hotel feels quite old, standard rooms are appointed with pretty but uncomfortably hard chairs. Sound carries considerably down the hallways, so a party making a pretty normal noise level overnight was more of a disturbance than it should have been. I think what I was most annoyed by was that the pool was closed... but this wasn't posted anywhere that we saw. Initially when we called the front desk for directions on how to get to the pool, they gave us directions on how to get to the (closed) pool without warning us that it was closed. Ummm, really? We had to call back to find out that we would have to go across the street to another hotel's pool instead. Overall the place was fine. Not the quality of experience we were expecting. Would choose a different hotel if we came back.
2 night romance trip Aug 14, 2015
"Expensive but nice."
A great place to stay while you are in Grand Rapids. Not the cheapest place but very nice.
2 night romance trip Aug 14, 2015
MARVIN
"Would stay again"
The hotel is beautiful and in a great location. Was pleasantly surprised to walk into a very clean modern corner room with two walls of windows. There was construction underway on lobby floor near elevators but nothing about it made our stay worse. My only complaint was the check in time was 4 p.m., which is when we got in, and house keeping was so behind that no one was able to get there room for at least a half hour. Luckily there was a bar there, but we would have prefered not to have to sit there and buy a drink. Everyone felt the hotel should have at least gave us a free drink.
"Unhappy at Amway Hotel"
We arrived at 3:15 pm on our reservation date. Our room was not ready for occupancy until 6:30 pm and the front desk manager was extremely rude and non-sympathetic to our concerns.
Ellen
"A Grand Rapids mainstay"
Great hotel with a lot of class on the river. Walking distance to many of the breweries in Grand Rapids - Beer City USA.
1 night family trip Aug 10, 2015
steven
"Room not ready at check-in time."
Check in time was 4:00 but when we got to the reception shortly after that time, we found out the room wasn't ready yet. They took our phone number and said they would call when the room was ready. One hour later (5:00) still hadn't received a call. Went back to desk to investigate. Now the room was ready. No explanation about why we didn't receive a call. One other issue: plugged in cell phone and laptop to charge. When ready to go out, realized there was no power to outlet. Verified that outlet was not controlled by a switch. Ended up going out without my phone - kind of inconvenient.
1 night romance trip Aug 8, 2015
"Nice hotel near bars/breweries. Parking is costly."
Very nice hotel. Very fancy, clean, and well staffed. It has many extra shops/bars/coffee shops that I did not need. There is a nice medium size pool in the gym/rec area hidden on the 4th floor. The hotel is walking distance to many breweries and bars (I highly recommend going on the brewery shuttle service Beer City Runner if you are there on a Saturday- you can easily walk to some of their stops to start the tour). I saw many wedding parties there on Saturday. Check in was at 4 which is a little late for my taste and checking in early didn't work out for us. Parking costs at least $19 on top of what you already paid. I was pretty annoyed to find out about that when I got there. I probably would have found a cheaper option if I knew about this before.
Lauren
"Simply grand."
Beautiful hotel in a great location!
1 night family trip Aug 8, 2015
"A Decent Stay"
We stayed there to celebrate our upcoming wedding anniversary. I had informed the front desk ahead of time. While checking in, the front desk said congratulations..... However, that was I!. Nothing in the room, even a rose! Were disappointed. Otherwise the service was good, room was clean, the location and neighborhood were wonderful. The help at the entrance and the concierge service quite good. We picked up a turkey sandwich from their gift shop. It was fresh, wonderful and a good value. Their buffet breakfast looked Ok. We had breakfast @ Real Food Café and Wolfgang Restaurants. A little bit of a wait. But both were great. The parking was just a few yards away, $19 per night.
1 night romance trip Aug 3, 2015
Suresh
"Classic Elegance"
This is a fantastic older style hotel that is well maintained. It was perfect for a special weekend getaway. The hotel staff are tops at taking care of everything, from front desk to cleaning crew. The inhouse restaurant choices offer a great range of options, from casual to extravagant. Will recommend as a unique option to the other chain hotels, the great room is second to none!
1 night trip Aug 8, 2015
"Nice if you end up with a Tower room"
We thought we were to have a tower room. Booked 6 months in advance. Did use a hotel website to book, not the hotel's direct site. They could not change our room when we arrived. The room was a nice size. No view and a bit dirty in places. Overall it was not worth the large amount of money I paid for the room. It would have been fine if I could have paid a bit less.
1 night romance trip Aug 4, 2015
"Great high end hotel in downtown Grand Rapids"
Short stay overnight. Didn't have time to enjoy all of the great amenities this hotel offered. Would go back!! Service was great, friendly and helpful personel. Highly recommend this hotel.
1 night trip Aug 1, 2015
"The best!"
Best place in GR to stay far.
1 night family trip Aug 4, 2015
Ward
"Great Hotel, Great Location"
We booked a last minute trip to Grand Rapids, MI, when my in-laws came in unexpectedly (well, we expected them, but we had our dates wrong). We wanted to be in Saugatuck, but that is not happening last minute. The Amway Grand Plaza proved a perfect solution. We were only 30 minutes or so from Saugatuck and all of it's wonderful shops, but we had much nicer accommodations and we got to experience a really nice downtown that is Grand Rapids. The rooms we stayed in are older, but they are very clean and comfortable. It seems there are renovations going on for some newer, more modern rooms. The rooms were large and perfect for our needs though. We took our little girl to the pool and it's a wonderful spot, too. There are two hot tubs, a large workout area and a beautiful pool. It's indoor, so if you're coming in the winter you can still take advantage of it. The breakfast was nice, a bit expensive for a buffet but such is life. I'd highly recommend a stay here.
2 night family trip Jul 31, 2015
Ty
Great view, service, and atmosphere. Enjoyed our stay.
2 night family trip Jul 31, 2015
Marcy
"Not worth it"
Way overpriced. Very small rooms, bad internet, everything way too expensive. For $200 a night, you would think that you may get breakfast and or a suite. Very noisy and staff did nothing for party that was ridiculous.
2 night business trip Jul 31, 2015
linda
"Excellent overnight visit"
Staff and service was outstanding!
1 night family trip Jul 31, 2015
Joanne
"$250 a night and no A/C"
The A/C wasnt working in our room so we had to call the front desk who promptly sent someone from maintenance.He made some adjustments and left. It quit again so we spent the rest of the night sweating as it was almost 80 in our room. The bathroom was so small and there was a wall in front of the toulet so it was difficult for anyone over 5ft3 to sit on it properly. The public areas are beautiful but the room was very small and so it's back to the JW next time.
1 night romance trip Jul 30, 2015
"Do the smell test before climbing in that bed!"
First of all, it's worth noting that I have stayed at the Amway Grand dozens of times. I love the antique architecture, so I generally choose it over the other options. While I've never found them very hospitable, at least they've started putting coffee makers in the rooms over the last couple of years! My [possibly generous] review this time is based solely on our most recent experience. With very limited time for date night over the next few months, my husband and I thought we'd get away for a night. When we got in bed, we noticed an AWFUL smell coming from somewhere. As it turns out, it was coming from one of the pillows and the comforter (down? Can someone please tell me why a hotel would use difficult-to-clean down comforters, and with no duvet?). Needless to say, this put quite the damper on our night. As if the unseen (unsmelled?) germy mysteries hotels are so fondly known for aren't enough! Yuck!
1 night romance trip Jul 25, 2015
Elise
"enjoyable stay"
great location. Close to Downtown restaraunts and bars. Arena was a couple of blocks way. Not the cheapest hotel and parking was $19 but you get what you pay for.
1 night romance trip Jul 23, 2015
It was the best stay I have ever had
2 night romance trip Jul 17, 2015
Louise
"Wonderful getaway spot!"
Very nice staff. Great breakfast in the lobby.
1 night romance trip Jul 17, 2015
Michael A
Stayed one night after concert at Van Andel arena. We were on concierge floor. Very nice experience. The almond croissant at the breakfast bar were delicious.
1 night romance trip Jul 14, 2015
Janell
"Close to Van Andel"
Came for a concert. Walking distance to Van Andel. The room was very bizarre. No sink in the toilet area. You had to walk out of the toilet area to a different area on the other side of the room to wash your hands. The bath tub was in the toilet area. Kind of noisy as there were lots of Bachelor and Bachelorette parties. Next time I would not have a room by the elevator as it was too loud.
1 night family trip Jul 11, 2015
Kimberly
Hotel was overbooked upon arrival Although I reserved in March would have been ideal to have been aware that we could not check in @ 4 like stated Had to sit & wait 45 minutes for a room to be available
1 night trip Jul 11, 2015
Carrie
"Amazing"
We stayed here to see Shania Twain and it was an amazing hotel. We had some car troubles and Anthony was fabulous
1 night romance trip Jul 11, 2015
wonderful....
1 night romance trip Jul 4, 2015
michael
"Not worth the money"
I was extremely excited to spend the holiday weekend at this hotel. Unfortunately I did not feel welcomed. The tub did not work, I had to make two phone calls for towels and the guest in nearby rooms were extremely noisy. Security made me verify my stay by showing ID and room card each time I came in contact with them and the pool was EXTREMELY overcrowded. This hotel is NOT worth the money. I was made to feel very uncomfortable and very unwelcomed and I will never stay at this hotel again.
2 night romance trip Jul 3, 2015
Joia
"Above expectations"
I was not expecting such a nice hotel as we had chosen it just as a drive through to our final destination. It could easily be 5*. We had a king room, which was large, well maintained and equipped. No complaints. Ruth Chris steak house adjoined was excellent as well. 5* customer service in both. If you are traveling through Michigan this is a great stopping point on route.
1 night romance trip Jul 2, 2015
Liz
"May 2015"
Small dent in car from valet parking, but that can happen everywhere...
1 night business trip May 26, 2015
Lars
"Good Room, Poor Dining"
The hotel is undergoing considerable renovation that has resulted in the closing of a main restaurant, and a severely restricted breakfast menu. In addition, neither the desk clerk nor the concierge (at first) did not seem to know that a second restaurant, a premier one, was closed on the night we stayed. So, we had to go outside to get a good dinner. Fortunately, some excellent options within walking distance, but we would have preferred to stay in after a long day of driving. The rooms were very good, though a bit on the small side for the price charged.
Other trip May 28, 2015
Les
Great place to stay, we loved it except for one issue. Our shower drain was slow and backing up with water. After a request for maintenance to fix this we still had the same problem. Great stay with a small issue that wasn't resolved.
2 night romance trip May 23, 2015
"Classic looks"
Fun, old timey hotel. There were 4 weddings going on that weekend!
1 night romance trip May 23, 2015
"Fun overnight stay in luxury"
It was a treat to stay at the Amway! Had a one night stay with a friend, we were celebrating her birthday. It was so convenient to stay right downtown. The room was very comfortable.
1 night trip with friends May 22, 2015
"Bachelorette getaway"
Easy checking in and out. Really liked the touch screen maps (would've gotten terribly turned around) The room was comfortable and clean. Asked for a fridge and it was delivered promptly. Wonderful dining at Ruth's Chris and Cygnus 27. Looking forward to a repeat stay. This hotel is close to everything!
Other trip May 26, 2015
Allison
"Elegant hotel located in downtown Grand Rapids"
Stayed in a handicap room (I'm note) which was very comfortable. Room service menu somewhat limited. Closet panel door was off its slider but manageable.
Other trip May 22, 2015
"Not worth the money"
Very late check in at 4PM. Cleaning ladies hung out for next two hours next to our room. Not restful at all. Not worth money you pay for location.
1 night romance trip May 9, 2015
robert
"Good review"
Very Good
3 night family trip May 8, 2015
Guillermo
"Beautiful Hotel with too few amenities"
The room and hotel were really nice. Despite being dated, the room was very clean and comfortable during our stay. I was a little disappointed by the lack of INCLUDED amenities that are wrapped into the price of the room (i.e. coffee in the lobby, valet parking, etc.). An additional charge of $40 came as a surprise, compared to various Hotel/Casinos in Detroit that provided complimentary valet service.
1 night trip with friends May 9, 2015
Alex
"4 girls on a mission"
An Easter get away Grandma, Daughter and 2 granddaughters Visited art museum, and G.R. Ford and public museum. Every thing was lovely at hotel. Water could have been a little warmer in pool. Very chilly. all around excellant,
1 night family trip Apr 3, 2015
sandra
"great"
Everyone that worked there was very friendly and helpful. I would stay there again.
1 night romance trip May 4, 2015
"Exceellent in every way."
Excellent accommodations; outstanding staff members.
1 night family trip May 2, 2015
Cssius E
"Alot of noise, bed hard"
Came for a graduation, loud noise in hall, kids running in hall, did not sleep well, mattress to firm. Most beautiful hotel in Michigan.
Other trip May 2, 2015
beautiful hotel
"Made graduation worth it !!!"
I was here just for one night with my family for my nursing school graduation. We checked in very quickly even with the very busy atmosphere due to the tons of graduations, weddings, and other events. When we got to the room it was in the process of being cleaned. Our bell hop who showed us to our room was very helpful and said he would call someone to see if they could help us either with a new room or something to compensate for the time we had to wait for it to be done. We only waited 5 min for the room to be cleaned and not 10 min after that someone called our room to say our parking for the night had been comped ! During our short stay every thing was fantastic. Our beds were comfy and they even had turned down service. The shower was warm and clean with great shampoo and soaps. The room had lots of plugs for our electronics. We ordered room service for the next morning which was timely and warm. At the end of our Stay I was able to ask for later check out and they were very accommodating. The only not so great thing I can say is that it is very expensive so be prepared for that. Also we stayed in the older part of the hotel which is beautiful but I didn't see any refrigerator so we had no where to put snacks. All in all we were very happy with the service and the room and I was sad I ran out of cash to tip all the helpers lol
1 night family trip Apr 25, 2015
Skye
"High quality with great location."
It was a great stay. The cost for parking was high in my opinion at $29 a night. It's in a great location right by the arena and we had a view of the river. A continental breakfast would have been nice for the cost.
1 night family trip Apr 25, 2015
Sheryl
"Nice room, bad service"
After booking a single king on Hotels.com, I immediately called the hotel asking if I could change it to a double queen. Otherwise I was going to cancel and look elsewhere. The lady at the front desk said it would be no problem. Fast forward to the week before my trip, I decided to call the hotel to verify and see if we could get early check in. Turns out that my request for a room change was basically ignored. At first she claimed that I only ever had a king since that's what I booked, but after bringing up my call to the hotel, she noticed that there was a note suggesting I get a double if there was one available. Well that would have been fine if they told me as such but they led me the believe that it was a done deal. The best they could do for me was to provide a tiny little twin sized role up bed. The hotel is nice but the service is terrible.
1 night romance trip Apr 25, 2015
Christopher
"Great night in GR"
Everything was great and the people,made us feel welcome.
1 night romance trip Apr 24, 2015
"great location near brew pubs"
excellent stay what else do you need to know? If you make me write more, I will not answer your surveys
Other trip Apr 27, 2015