All hotels in Anchorage, Alaska, United States of America
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here939 West 5th Avenue, Anchorage, AK, 99501, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Dated facility, so-so service, not so clean"
We flew into Anchorage for just one night for a friends birthday party. We stopped by the hotel to see if our room was ready and were told to come back at 3pm. When we came back at 3pm we were told to come back at 4pm. I insisted that we check in and oh look, they found a clean room. Miracle. We had to order a roll away bed for the others in our party because the hide-a-bed matress was disgustingly stained. Overall we were ill impressed. The other hotel we stayed at previously was much nicer and alot less dated.
1 night trip with friends Aug 16, 2014
Our overall stay at Captain Cook was great, the hotel y very nice and the location is great. The mattresses to my opinion are too soft and couldn't rest very well. I've also asked for a late check out and they didn't grant it.
Other trip Aug 18, 2014
PLC
"El capitain"
Really enjoyed the stay
1 night business trip Aug 10, 2014
"Some Good Some Bad"
Had to move from the first room because of possible bugs in bed, but they moved us very quickly which was nice. Second room had used coffee cups, which was disappointing. The concierge who was on duty when we first got there didn't seem interested in helping us book a trip or ordering the van pick up to the airport. There were to many things he said for the amount of room I have here. He also told us to take a cab to the airport. The shops in the hotel were nice and the restaurants upscale. Both I thought were far more upscale than the hotel. As far as the location, it was on the main street but at the very far end.
2 night family trip Jul 31, 2014
SDFlipFlops
"Anchorage cruise terminus."
My only complaint is the bathroom design. No door separating the sink area from the sleeping area - therefore unable to allow wife to sleep in the early morning. Tub/shower is very small and could use a bow-type curtain rod for space.
3 night trip Jul 18, 2014
"attractive downtown hotel"
I was upgraded to a large suite on the 11th floor, with commanding views of downtown Anchorage and the Chugach Mountains to the east. Arrived too late for dinner, and the following night the Crow's Nest was closed for a private party, so I ate at a nearby restaurant, of which there are many within close walking distance.
Other trip Jul 24, 2014
Don
"great location"
The hotel is very old school; the decor dark and seems from another era. A couple of automatic doors would be great but the massive doors goes with the decor. The staff is very friendly, the hotel clean and you can't beat the location. Close to parks, the visitors center, museums; it was a good place to stay. Best seafood chowder in Anchorage!
1 night trip Jul 3, 2014
ZedCeCe
"Old and crowded but still the best in Anchorage"
The hotel is quite dated, and incredibly crowded, but it's still the best hotel in town. Great downtown location, lots of restaurants in the hotel and nearby, good amenities. Having said that, it is totally packed during the summer. So if you want to avoid the madding crowds, opt for something else.
1 night trip Jul 19, 2014
"Lost in 1979"
Non-smoking room had old smoking smell to it. No vending machines or self serve laundry we're big disappointments for someone arriving late and with some laundry to do before a cruise. If I went to Anchorage again, I think I would choose the Sheraton.
1 night business trip Jul 13, 2014
Phil
"Middle of the road"
The hotel has a great location but is a little tired and could use a facelift. The staff was very nice but on a price/performance basis you could probably do better. Would stay there again but would not go out of my way to do so.
Other trip Jul 16, 2014
"Always Reliable"
While the waves of tour ship guests ebbing and flowing through the lobby may seem a negative I have always thought it part of the attraction of this constantly reliable hotel. Restaurants always great with a wide selection of local fish and seafood. And you can't top the convenient down town location . Easy walking to museum, shops and restaurants.
1 night trip Jul 5, 2014
"Convenient and close to downtown"
Loved the comfortable bed and quiet room. We were upgraded to a junior suite which was beautiful.
Other trip Jul 11, 2014
"A great hotel, finally"
I've felt very let down touring around Alaska and finding accommodation dingy, in need of renovation, overpriced, and sometimes downright misleading. But I came across the captain cook and it was perfect. Clean, spacious, excellent service. Not a single thing was wrong, not once did I feel misled, ripped off or let down. Of course you want it to be cheaper, everyone wants that, but it's the best stay I've had in Alaska in two weeks of traveling.
1 night trip Jul 7, 2014
Marc
"Another Great Stay"
We have stayed at the Captain Cook numerous times and always find it to be first rate. Great staff, perfect location, and the bed is the best.
1 night trip Jul 7, 2014
Happy Csmper
"Better than average"
The location of the hotel was very good, for walking to eateries and the tourist area. The room was comfortable and beds were comfortable. They only provided one pillow that was too bid and stiff, so we slept without pillows. The amenities were okay. The hotel had nice shops and a good breakfast café. My big complaint was that our room came with a $20 food credit, but they did not tell us about it until we were checking out and by that time the café was closed. The did have a bar open, so we went and spent $18 of our food credit on a shrimp cocktail that was 6 medium sized shrimp, nothing special.
1 night trip Jul 3, 2014
"Yikes!"
So the stay was started out promising with the staff upgrading our room from two double beds to a jr suite because my 11 year old decided he was too old to share a bed with his sister. They said the suite didn't have a fold out bed but room to add two roll always in the living room area. We went up to our room and opened the door to the smell of stale cigarette smoke and not only saw old warn out carpets but a stained fold out couch. Found a bedding kit in the closet and called down to the lobby to let them know one bed was all that was needed. Unfortunatly I should of held off on the call because the bed kit didn't have any sheets and once a folded out the couch I found beer bottle tops inside of a torn mattress. My husband was irritated and I was starting to get a headache so we went to find food and let the lobby know on our way out of the situation and that two beds were required.. Got back a hour or so later to no roll always waiting for us. If it wasn't midnight at that point we would have packed up our stuff and left but it was so, I again called down to the lobby for the roll always, 20 minutes later the beds came and we were able to turn on the tv for a few minutes before bed. Oh no..the batteries in both remotes are dead
Other trip Jul 3, 2014
"classy and clean"
In the heart of everything .
1 night business trip Jun 26, 2014
martin
A little pricey, but was an excellent stay. Has all the amenities and was very convenient to everything downtown.
Other trip Jul 1, 2014
"The best we have ever stayed in."
The staff was perfect in every way. The checkin was right. The conc. went above all expecations that anyone could ever have. The 20 th floor was great(bar and resturant). I will stay there next time.
Other trip Jun 30, 2014
Family after cr
This hotel is very conveniently located for tourism purposes. Personnel is friendly, cordial and very effective. Lobby and public spaces have a very attractive atmosphere
Other trip Jun 30, 2014
"Great hotel located in downtown Anchorage."
Great hotel for our first visit to Anchorage. Friendly, helpful staff and comfortable facilities. Located within walking distance of restaurants, sight-seeing locations, Alaska Railroad terminal, etc.
Other trip Jun 28, 2014
"I have not one thing bad to say about this hotel."
We had an awesome time at Captain Hook hotel. It has everything and is run like a very efficient business. They had top of the line beds and linens...bathrooms with granite and rain shower heads. The rooms were quiet and had upscale furniture. Everything was comfortable . The pool and steam/dry heat rooms were very relaxing and clean and well attended. The pool and Jacuzzi was great along with a water aerobics class. The water filled to the brim with lemons was available and refreshing. The shops on the main floor were all filled with awesome items to buy or view. One of the best hotels that I ever stayed at and it had anything you needed.
Other trip Jun 27, 2014
stephanie
"SO NICE!!"
I definitely recommend it to anyone staying in Anchorage. This is one of the nicest hotels in town.
1 night business trip Jun 22, 2014
Friðrik
"Great location for downtown"
Staff was very helpful and friendly. Bath was too small with the tub & toilet in a small room with no fan. With the door close there was not even room to change. Sink and mirror outside the bathroom in which you had to use as a changing room. We had 4 people in a room which made it even more difficult.
1 night family trip Jun 19, 2014
"Pleasantly surprised!!"
The hotel was a jewel in the center of anchorage! Valet was on point and answered any question I had about the local flare... Fitness facility was a great mix between free weights and cardio. The food and beverage side of captin cook was perfect something for all pallets old or young.. Total recommendation to any and all....
Other trip Jun 24, 2014
ryan
Its always been great for 40 years.
1 night trip Jun 14, 2014
awbanana
"Very nice hotel."
Clean. Desk staff excellent. I would recommend the hotel. Nicest hotel in city
Other trip Jun 17, 2014
"NIce"
Nice hotel, and location. However, not as focused on customer service.
1 night trip May 29, 2014
"Extremely Disappointed with Hotel"
We had a reservation for a junior suite at the Hotel Captain Cook in Anchorage, AK. The reason for this stay was it was the weekend of my wedding. Our stay was supposed to be three days and two nights. I was just very disappointed with the quality of the hotel room. The hotel lobby and common areas were very nice and impressing. However, you have to pay $15 per day for parking, even with the discount you get because you're staying at the hotel. This may not be a huge deal to some people. I completely understand that but I was still expecting for what I paid for the reservation that it would at least come with free parking. Secondly and most importantly the room quality was just not what it should have been, When we walked into the room it looked cramped and old. The separate living room, that you pay the extra money for, was just cramped and not very comfortable to be in. When we sat on the couch it was hard and felt very worn out.The carpet worn out as well. The bedroom itself was alright. The bed over took the majority of the room. It looked comfortable. I never sat or laid down in it so I am unable to say if it was a nice bed or not. It did look that way though. The view from our room was overlooking the middle building of the hotel. So, the main view was the dirty roof of said building. The location is convenient being in the middle of town and all. We canceled and went to another hotel.
2 night romance trip May 23, 2014
Amari
"Great downtown location. Comfortable stay."
From check in to check out the staff and facility were great. The downtown location was icing on the top.
Other trip May 10, 2014
"Reliable comfort in a great location"
Efficient, helpful front desk staff who were happy to extend our check-out time to our convenience, clean room with in-room free wi-fi (not to be taken for granted), great view of the ocean, excellent location - within walking distance of the best restaurants, often quite expensive but we got a good deal. Just don't use the parking service (park on the road instead) - it's more expensive than the rental car.
Other trip May 6, 2014
Aslan
"electricity turned off parking"
the elect. was turned off without letting us know, said it would be back on at 11:00 am we had meeting s to go to so left without lights/shower returned at 2:30 to get showered and ready to go again and still no elect. had to move to a new room just to get cleaned up. went back to our room and still no elect. so we just checked out. parking really sucks people should be informed that its another $30 for parking on top of an already very expensive room.
Other trip Apr 21, 2014
"Very nice hotel and great location."
Had a nice stay with family and the food was very good too.
Other trip Apr 15, 2014
"Close to everything in walking distance"
Check in was fast parking next door was even convenient. The hotel was nice.
Other trip Apr 13, 2014
"History, elegance and charm"
What a classy place. The Cook Hotel is one of a kind. We love it!
1 night trip Apr 5, 2014
"it was a great room"
We loved the room and the service but I did find a slimy bag of sliced cheese in the refridgerator.
1 night trip Apr 5, 2014
Katie
"Divine Comfort"
The room was beautifully decorated and contained furniture that was actually comfortable to sit in. A first. The bed the perfect amount of firm/soft and the climate control quiet and non-intrusive. One of the best stays I've had in a hotel and I travel extensively. The on-site restaurants were beautifully designed, the wait staff attentive but not intrusive, and the food first rate. The prices were also moderate and considering the quality of the food and service surprisingly low. The wine I had was generously poured and of a good quality.
Other trip Mar 29, 2014
"Good view of the ocean."
Usually quiet area but the floor I stayed was noisy two nights in a row. Lost sleep.
Other trip Mar 24, 2014
"Staff was the best ever!"
Overall our stay was good. The only exception was getting to the pool & hot tub. We had to enter thru 2 different entryways. And it was 2 different towers. That was extremely frustrating to us!!! The hotel staff was one if the best we ever experienced. Very courteous. Bc of the length of my hair, We needed extra shampoo & conditioner. After calling the front desk we had the items in less than 5 minutes. Room service was fast & courteous.
Other trip Mar 23, 2014
Emma
"Always World-Class"
We visit our children in Alaska fairly regularly. Since 1989, our first visit, we have always considered The Captain Cook to be not only the best hotel in Anchorage, but one of the most appealing, best-run hotels in the world -- and we have seen many. The property is beautifully maintained, staff are unvaryingly welcoming and helpful, restaurants and shops are destinations in themselves, and the rooms are distinctive, attractive and a pleasure to return to. The Cook is an experience to be savored.
8 night family trip Mar 12, 2014
"Great hotel but not family oriented."
Again, everything about the hotel was good. My only complaint was that the pool is only open to kids for two hours at a time during inconvenient times of the day.
1 night family trip Mar 14, 2014
"Very Loud"
Our room was on the ninth floor immediatly below a lounge. I believe they were line dancing until after midnight. Ridiculously loud. Valet parking was $30 per night. Seems steep to me.
2 night trip Mar 7, 2014
"Wait.... And more wait."
Got there early at 2 PM. Was told the room wasn't going to be ready until 3. Decided to have a late lunch. Came back at 3 and room still was not ready. At 430 PM! I was finally able to check into the room.
Other trip Mar 10, 2014
Justin
Our stay was great as the hotel is convenient to the locations/events we attended during our stay. It is a very nice hotel but a bit overrated.
2 night trip Feb 28, 2014
The Whales Tail needs improving. The menu selection needs some upgrading and the whole wine dispenser thing is way to complicated for a one night visitor. Improve the wine selection for people who just want one glass of wine with a decent food selection.
2 night business trip Feb 26, 2014
"Nice hotel experience."
Had a room on the 10th floor....tower 3. Liked that the window could be opened for fresh air. Fabulous view of the mountains...they looked like a painting. We had a pre-dinner glass of wine in our room each evening watching the sunset behind those mountains. Couldn't have been more pleased with our room and the restaurants/bars within the hotel. This hotel was our choice for our visit to experience the Iditarod Sled Dog Race. Was an excellent choice and would definitely stay there again.
Other trip Mar 5, 2014
"Great place to stay!"
Great location, very clean, kind staff... Love being able to walk down to snow city cafe for breakfast. Beautiful view of the ocean.
1 night business trip Feb 15, 2014
Katie
"Fun stay"
All the employees were nice and helpful and a lot of activities to do at and around the hotel
2 night trip Feb 14, 2014
"Marks review"
Enjoyed our stay. Convenient location, good service, helpful and polite staff. While they reduce the parking fee in the garage next door for hotel guests, it still seems to be a fairly steep parking charge for Anchorage.
3 night trip Feb 6, 2014
Mark Mickelson
"Nice hotel in heart of city"
We had a nice stay. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Very clean facility.
Other trip Feb 1, 2014