All hotels in San Luis Obispo, California, United States of America
You can collect Welcome Rewards® nights here210 Madonna Rd, San Luis Obispo, CA, 93405, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Decent if you get a good deal."
We were visiting for a friends (3pm) Wedding, our "early" check-in was delayed until nearly 2pm. The room was simple and had cable + AC so no complaints there.
1 night romance trip Oct 4, 2014
cody
"Here for my class reunion"
I wanted clean and quiet and that is what I got! The desk staff were very pleasant.
2 night trip Sep 26, 2014
dianne
"Ok for the price"
Ok room but the smell of the linens and pillows was very bad. I had to go out and buy a pillow to sleep with. I have stayed here before with no problems at all. But the last two stays I had the issue with the smell.
2 night trip with friends Sep 26, 2014
"terrible condition, nice front desk guy"
The motel room is what I'd expect in a third-world country for $20 a night, and I know because I have spent years in third-world places. In a posh place like SLO for $143/night, I'm SEVERELY disappointed. -- The front desk guy was VERY nice, but for $143 I fully expect good service AND an above-average room. --- My wife joked that 'Vagabond' is no joke, but an accurate description of the feeling a night's stay here leaves the traveler with. NEVER AGAIN.
1 night trip Sep 27, 2014
Mr.Well-Traveled
The AC did not work. It had to be 20 degrees warmer in the room than outside. The motel is quite old and the only window is along the main walkway so it is open for all to see in and faces the road so you get the road noise when it is open.
1 night trip Sep 14, 2014
"CIGARETTE, BODY ODOR, RUN DOWN ROOM"
It was only for the night and I was tired so I stayed. But if I had it to do over again I would have found some other place to sleep.
1 night trip Aug 13, 2014
Cher
Our stay was good. No problems. Easy to find and was in a good location to get to wine country or the beach.
Other trip Sep 1, 2014
"clean and ok customer service."
There was a clicking noise coming from the appliances and the clerk didnt know how to fix it. He told me to disconected. I couldn't get to all the plugs.
1 night trip Aug 28, 2014
sofia vidal
"great price, great location"
Very satisfied. The only thing I would recommend is fixing the outlets in the room because when items plugged kept unplugging. Other than that, I would definitely choose Vagabond again for our next trip.
1 night trip Aug 25, 2014
Sandy & Manny
"Nice experience"
Nice hotel,right off the route 1,good place to stay,Denny's is just around the corner and you get a discount.
1 night romance trip Aug 24, 2014
Juan
The hotel was good, but the room smell like smoke since rooms for smokers are upstairs (above the non-smokers) and people come to smoke outside their rooms downstairs and the smoke somehow gets into the room. Also, they dis-activated the room key before 11:00 A.M., (discharge time), even when I still had my belongings in the room, so I had to go to their office to re-active my card. Also, they could be more kind with customers. It does not cost a penny to smile:)
1 night business trip Aug 17, 2014
Good
1 night business trip Aug 12, 2014
un
"Very clean and and well taken care of"
This hotel is very nice, comfortable and clean, and is very conveniently located next to the freeway. It's adjacent to a gas station, Dennys (where meals are discounted for hotel guests), there is a big park to the south and a huge shopping center right across the street. You are also only 2 miles away from the downtown. The prices are very fair and this is now my hotel of choice for San Luis Obispo trips.
2 night trip with friends Jun 15, 2014
Jakob
There was a truck in the parking lot with a giant advertising screen on it, that was a bit odd. Overall, I considered it quite average on the whole.
1 night business trip Aug 14, 2014
"Good price and next to freeway"
The hotel was in a good location. The room was clean. I staid in a non smoking room. It's a classic looking hotel, so do not expect high end hotel standards .
1 night business trip Aug 15, 2014
Poncho
"nice"
it is a nice place to stay.
1 night family trip Aug 13, 2014
This hotel met our expectations for a clean room for a reasonable price in SLO. Across the street from Starbucks and next door to IHOP AND Dennys so no need to partake of limited breakfast.
2 night business trip Aug 10, 2014
"Last min trip"
This hotel is close to the freeway. Easy to get in and out quickly. The rooms were small, but I got a great deal. I just wanted somewhere to rest my head. It was clean and did the job.
1 night business trip Aug 10, 2014
We were not impressed. The bathtub/shower did not drain well. Bathroom not clean - hair found on door and floor. Kind of disgusting. Also, a few ants were found crawling on us every now and then. The staff were nice - but the room we stayed in is not well maintained. It was also very loud when others in the hotel turned on the water.
1 night family trip Aug 10, 2014
No internet connection via wifi. Three lights in room did not work. Towels were dirty. Coffee was OK. OJ in machine was finished
1 night family trip Aug 9, 2014
"An Unfortunate Choice"
The hotel's wifi never connected. The cable never worked, we were told it'll come on in 10 secs... Never did. Breakfast had no tables, very few items, and people were sitting side by side infront of a glass wall eating. Will not recommend.
Other trip Aug 11, 2014
Thais Bello
"Close to everything!"
We usually crash at Motel 6, don't need anything fancy, just a clean room to spend the night. Fortunately for us, Motel 6 was booked. Vagabond was about the same price, with better facilities! Free wifi, breakfast, fridge, microwave and wonderful pool and jacuzzi. Super clean and wonderful staff! Definitely will be back!
Other trip Aug 9, 2014
cbs
"Our stay at the Vagabond."
That old saying is true you get what you pay for. The stay was mediocre at best. Got into our room and it was a smoking room. No where on the booking process I noticed there was a choice. They gave us a can of Lysol but did promise to move us the next night. So we were able to move. The front desk is short staffed so if you need something you can't get it brought to your room. They offer a discount at the restaurant next door-worst service ever there too. So if you book on Hotels.com make sure to look for the choice of smoking/non-smoking room. Or call after you book to get what you need.
2 night trip Aug 3, 2014
Jarboogie
"Dirty Rooms"
Can you say, "Horrible." My room had spider webs all around the room. There was mildew on tile in shower, a lot. The pillow cases didn't even look like they were changed. The pillows themselves, I was shocked! They were sooooo soiled. The air units did not work very well because of the location.
2 night trip with friends Aug 1, 2014
Elly
The Manager who pretends he is not the manager is completely rude. He is not helpful at all and raises his voice and talks down to customers. This hotel is run down and dirty. A light kept flickering on and off and none of the plugs were able to hold the plug in. The room smelled like smoke but when we called and asked to move we were told all rooms are non smoking and then we were hung up on. I was very disappointed and will not be returning. This place is in very desperate need of a remodel and just minor up keep.
Other trip Aug 5, 2014
I was pleasantly surprised that the accommodations were as good as a nice 3 star hotel. The fridge was a little noisy but I was happy to have the fridge and microwave in the room. Great stay. Clean and convenient location.
1 night trip Jul 31, 2014
"convenient location, many places to eat nearby"
For the price it was what I would expect. Impressed with the staff.
AC
"DON'T EVER STAY HERE!"
If we hadn't been too tired to go looking for an alternative, we would NOT have stayed here!We will never do it again! Looks like it was thrown up in the 70s and never touched again. Disgustingly dirty carpeting, horrible bed/bedding, pathetic "landscaping", ridiculous "lounge" for what they called breakfast....I could go on, but I think you get it. The room rate was ridiculous--$178.08 for a DUMP! Either the hotel or hotels.com is being predatory by renting rooms here just because they can get away with it. DO NOT EVER STAY HERE!
1 night romance trip Aug 1, 2014
Tom Rajala
"terrible"
wouldn't stay there again. first room was still dirty. only two pillows on the bed and a third in a drawer. we were told we could only have one more for at total of 4. front desk told me I had to come get the pillow and wouldn't bring it. woke up to parties at 2 am. front desk took 2 calls to quiet them down. shower wouldn't go full shower, kept filling up the bathtub. windows are all single pane so bad with sound control.
2 night romance trip Jul 30, 2014
"great service"
The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms were nice with plenty of space and the pool was well maintained.
1 night family trip Jul 23, 2014
"Noise"
There was a noise with the fridge the whole night never will i stay there :(
1 night romance trip Jul 26, 2014
Marycruz
"For the price it was fine"
Everything was average. My one complaint would be that the hot tub needs repair, the jets hardly worked. I did like the location, it is in walking distance from many places to eat.
2 night trip Jul 27, 2014
June
"Nice hotel with extremely nice staff"
Have to say that had the best staff experience here. First time asked that if I need any advice driving somewhere or finding something specific in town. Rooms A/C didn't work and had a little friend (bug) running on the roof, nothing scary or ugly. Everything else worked well and hotel was right next to Denny's where you get a discount just showing your room card. For a one night stay, it was good! Broken A/C was written down by the staff and room marked as not valid for guests before it's repaired, so really they do take the feedback like they should.
1 night romance trip Jul 16, 2014
RoadTripper
"Served purpose of shelter, but lacked comfort"
This place served it's purpose of a place to stay while my daughter was at her summer orientation at Cal Poly. We were not on any kind of "vacation", so my expectation was not that of a resort. However, I do expect a minimum level of comfort, which this hotel lacked, mainly because the AC unit did a poor job at cooling the room. When I arrived and opened the door, I felt a burst of hot air coming out. I left the door open to air out the room, and immediately located the AC to turn on. Even at full blast and running continuously, it did not cool the room. All other aspects of this property and stay were acceptable, except for the lack of comfort resulting from a less that adequate AC.
Other trip Jul 23, 2014
Ed
I guess you pay for what you get. Don't expect much from this motel. The showerhead was about 5'6" from the floor and I am only 5'10" and I had to contort myself to wash the shampoo out of my hair. There is a short ceiling in the shower too so if you are over 6' tall, good luck. The sink had a nasty rust stain. The nice thing is that it is next door to the Madonna Inn which you can walk to. Most of the motels near Cal Poly San Luis Obispo are low end but this one is near the lower end of those. The beds were ok but there was a lot of commotion in nearby rooms which was a bit unsettling. I will stay nearer to the campus next time and not at this motel.
2 night trip Jul 15, 2014
"Poor customer service"
Ran my credit card for the full amount of the stay even though I paid cash up front so I had a hold for almost $300 for almost a week. When I tried to sort out the front desk they were so rude and flat out called me a liar even after showing him my bank statement. Probably wouldn't stay there again
3 night business trip Jul 14, 2014
"Reasonably quiet"
For being in the same lot sharing parking with a Dennys it was exceptionally quiet. Comfortable and clean and close to the downtown.
1 night trip Jul 16, 2014
Francisco
"Nice pool! Kids loved it! :-)"
Only there one night on our way through but, nice staff, and room was nice! Not up to date with looks, but clean and comfortable! :-) The pool was our favorite part! Very clean, and big! Kids loved it! :-)
Other trip Jul 16, 2014
Ann
Great place to stay in slow. Simple rooms, great rates. The night manager Javal checked us in quickly, and was very helpful with local information. A great stay on our road trip up the coast.
1 night business trip Jul 10, 2014
Joshua
"Should not be in Business!!!!"
This place is very rundown and in dire need of a remodel. Air conditioning did not work and hot water took about ten minutes to reach out room! I contacted the front desk about the water and was told to let the water run and it will eventually warm up.......we are in a very serious drought here....this is unacceptable!!!! When I told the front desk that the air conditioner didn't work, I was told that they would look into it. Certainly not what I expected when spending 3 digits on a Saturday night........I would rather sleep in my car.
Other trip Jul 15, 2014
"Poor conditions"
Was the worst hotel i have ever stayed. It smell pretty bad, the air conditioning didn't work and we had dead insects and huge spider I had to kill. The bed wasn't even a queen. I personally have a queen bed at home and it is much larger than the one in the hotel. It was over priced for those conditions. Will never recommend or use Expedia to find a hotel.
Other trip Jul 14, 2014
Rafa
"Comfortable room and good location"
The room was roomy and comfortable. It could stand to be renovated, but overall it was in good condition for its age and everything worked fine. Plenty of channels on the flatscreen TV too. My only complaint is that the cleaning crew missed a used bar of soap in the shower area and the used coffee filter in the coffee maker. Other than that, I can't complain because it was a good value.
1 night trip Jul 11, 2014
Bill K
"convenent location"
affordable, clean hotel- easy access to downtown SLO, two businesses down from Madonna Inn. Sound travels from room to room, so wear ear plugs or have some "white noise" to block out noise from parking lot and other rooms.
4 night trip with friends Jul 7, 2014
"Nice and quite in a great area close to the beach"
I enjoyed the layout close to dining , gas , beach and it was quite
Other trip Jul 10, 2014
clyde
"Convenient location"
I have stayed at the Vagabond Inn before and will do so in the future because of the very friendly, welcoming and helpful staff in the office. It's quiet and easy to find. Being right next door to a favorite, familiar restaurant and across the street from many great stores makes you feel secure.
Other trip Jul 6, 2014
Janice
"conveniently located"
A supermarket and a fast food restaurant are located in the surroundings. Downtown San Luis Obispo can be reached after a 20-30 min walk. A simple continental breakfast is offered in the lobby with a few seats.
1 night trip Jun 30, 2014
D.
"Good Value"
Nothing spectacular, but good value for our stay. Room was clean and a good location. Pool and hot tub were nice.
1 night trip Jul 3, 2014
"Good enough for the price!"
LLocated next door to The Madonna Inn and not far from downtown San Luis Obispo where we ate wonderful clam chowder at Splash Cafe. Worst part was that the carpet was dirty...ick!
2 night trip Jun 20, 2014
Susy
The staff (jabal and the maid) were nice. I have never meet an not to be racist because I'm not. But i don't know where he was from but he was the nicest one i have ever met!!!!!!! The room was comfortable the ac worked which was very important for me i have headaches. The refrigerator didn't work i went asked for helphe came immediately lol it just needed to be plugged in
Other trip Jul 2, 2014
"PRETTY BAD EXPERIENCE!"
NO HOT WATER....night we arrived or next morning! Let water run in tub hoping for something other than COLD....tub filled up...plug was not closed....when it reached top and I could no longer let it run...I gave up. No one in office but a woman who couldn't speak English...couldn't find manager....found one man using pass key to open rooms without knocking...at 9 am!!?!?? When I asked where the manager was he shrugged... I told him the problem..he shrugged n said "I'm just walkin".... "I don't speak English"! The screens on the windows were bent n ripped as if someone had been in thru them...gap of 1/2" plus under door. Sheets on beds weren't big enuf to be tucked so were just laying on top of OLD mattress...not a pleasant experience and I won't stay at a VAGABOND MOTEL ever again. Am also contacting San Luis Obispo Better Business Bureau. Oh and did I mention someone threw up right next to our car during the night!
Other trip Jun 30, 2014