All hotels in Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States of America
You can collect Welcome Rewards® nights here255 28th St. SW, Grand Rapids, MI, 49548, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

1.7
    2.1
    1.8
    1.4
    1.9
"Unprofessional"
Very bad staff there very rude their customer service was bad didnt like their Hotel at all
Other trip Jan 12, 2015
"Worst hotel we have ever stayed at."
This hotel was the worst we have ever stayed at. It was so dirty. The furniture was all stained, the carpet was filthy, and the sheets had not been changed, and there was so much noise until about 4am. More than disappointed with this stay.
terry
"Seems Like a Good Deal at First"
Upon reviewing the photos and reviews for the location, I was a little hesitant to book, but I thought most of my concerns were cosmetic. Plus I was on a budget, and looking at a long term stay, so I need to make the most of my dollar. The photos seemed clean, a little outdated, and the staff where exceptionally nice upon calling with a few questions. When we arrived, the outside of the hotel was more rundown than origionally pictured, and there was construction going on, although it didn't appear to be on any of the exterior issues. When entering the lobby our concerns grew as there was a distinct smell from the bar and restaurant area, and the lobby was dingy at best. We entered our rooms to stained wallpaper, sheets with blood on them, and strange damp spots in our carpet. We stayed one night as it was late, but immediately left the next day. The other clientele were a concern as well as one of my co-workers was approached by a drunk man in the hallway and feared for her safety. I would absolutely not recommend anyone to stay.
18 night business trip Oct 1, 2013
"Dont waste your money"
This hotel was one of the worst we have ever stayed in. The sheets were so old and worn out, that they were popping off of the mattress. We tried to correct that and when we took off a corner, we saw the worst looking, stained, mattress. It actually had black rimmed old stains on them, so gross. It had to be from 1960 as it was about 6 inches high and totally worn out. Both of the double beds in the room were the same. The bedding was from 1970's, the hallway smelled of smoke so bad. Yet the doors all had no smoking signs on them. The room was clean, or at least appeared clean. But when we saw the condition of the beds, we were mad that we actually slept on them already. I was so disappointed. we could have stayed any where and yet chose this hotel
1 night family trip Oct 19, 2013
Colmckee
"inexpensive and a short drive to downtown"
Art Prize was going on so no rooms available Downtown, so I checked in here on a truck route. Spacious room, comfortable, and helpful staff. Easy 3 miles to the heart of Art Prize. I'd use it again.
2 night trip Oct 1, 2013
kb
"very unpleasant"
When we arrived the place looked as though it was in the ghetto of grand rapids?, the police where there and the cars in the parking lot were not in the best of shape the.... we did not feel safe in this area so we did not stay at the Howard Johnson in Grand Rapids, we went to Holland ,MI and stayed at the Country Inn that we found, I am going to give Hotel.com one more chance. I hope that the Hampton Inn , located in Holland MI is better.?
1 night trip Sep 28, 2013
Breadman
"Only one pool unless staying on the first floor"
Info said it had an indoor pool and an outdoor pool but it does not tell you that the outdoor pool is for first floor guests only. 5th floor pool was VERY Cold. Beds were not comfortable at all. Everything else was nice but not what I would have expected at a Howard Johnson hotel.
1 night family trip Jun 22, 2013
"Old and not maintained"
This hotel is not maintained. Pretty apparent the owner is aging and not putting any money into this facility. Would not be surprised to see it closed very soon. My room was entered by various people throughout the night because the front desk kept giving out room keys to other people. This was very disturbing for my teenage son. Hotel bar very entertaining but the customers are from many walks of life. Not a hotel for children. Rooms can be rented by the hour. ( Hint, hint). Very Very old.
1 night trip Oct 20, 2012
Mom
"Don't reccomend!!!"
Motel was dirty, and in need of updating. It had a "dirty" smell when you walked in. Would never stay there again!!!
Other trip Oct 5, 2012
"Absolutely Terrible!!"
Worst hotel room ever! Smelled like a sewer. Shower had water under the lining of the tub so that you had to balance yourself on the floating while taking a shower. We needed a room and there was nothing else available, but I would have rather have slept in the car.
Other trip Sep 4, 2012
Pat
"never stay here again"
upon arrival we realize this was a bad idea. Women dressed like hookers going to and from the hotel bar. This hotel is in a bad neighborhood where shootings happen. We were scared but it was the only place around with a room. In the room..the blanket had white sticky dried stuff and hair in the shower. Only reason i gave 'service' a two is cause the manager brought us up a new blanket right away and he was nice. This was a Saturday night and drunk people in the halls loud all night. Id sleep in my car before i e er stay at a.other Howard Johnson.
Other trip Aug 3, 2012
sherri
"Dirty"
This hotel was extremely dirty and very noisy!!! The walls are paper thin...we could hear every noise from the hallway and the room next door. We only stayed at this hotel because all other hotels in the area were booked. I would never stay here again.
Business trip Jul 31, 2012
"A little rough, but it did the job"
Rough neighborhood, room okay, pretty run down infrastructure. Time to invest in or sell.
Family trip Jun 12, 2012
"not satisfied"
I did not like it at all, the hotel room was not very clean, there were drunk people in the hall or next door, my boyfriend had to go and ask them to be lower their voices.
Other trip May 25, 2012
Family trip Jul 31, 2012

TripAdvisor reviews for 131 Hotel-Plaza

"Stay away"
10/27/14 chris o Bristol, Virginia
I had to travel to the area for business and saw the pictures online so I booked a room online thinking it looked fairly nice and clean. Upon visiting I was greeted by a desk receptionist that was rude and made me wait several minutes before she could help me even though there was no one else in line and she clearly wasn't busy because she was text messaging. After getting my key card I headed to my room. I could smell pot in the hallway to my room. Could smell it even more once I was in my room. This was despite being in the no smoking area. The room was nasty. The sheets and covers looked a decade old. So was the rest of the room with peeling walls. Bath tub had a few stains that looked like they were from urine. Don't bother checking out the restaurant its full of drunks that are fighting. You can even hear them fighting in the hallways and to be honest its kind of scary because they're intense fights. There are clearly prostitutes visiting the motel. Since I arrived late in the evening I had no choice, but to stay. I slept in my full cloths (Jeans and long sleeve shirt) and used a tshirt underneath my head so I wouldn't have to touch the bed with my face. In the morning I cut my reservations short and informed the desk receptionist of this. They were clearly angry and had an attitude. Telling me I would have to pay for the next three nights I booked. I put a stop to that by having my CC stop the payment. After arriving at work a few coworkers asked me where I was staying upon telling them where I was staying they all told me to stay away from that area since there had been high crime rates in the area. Apparently the motel is used by drug dealers, sex offenders and other criminals. Take my world of advice stay away from this motel and area. Pay the extra 20 or so dollars to have peace of mind.
"Older but well kept."
10/14/14 Christina W Grand Rapids
We checked in early with no problems. Staff was friendly and helpful. The wallpaper in our room could be updated but the beds were brand new and very comfortable. I was shown the Presidential Suite and they run specials for it all the time. I'm planning my next weekend away as I type this!
"5 star"
10/01/14 chris m Caledonia, Michigan
I stayed at 131 Hotel-Plaza it was great! The food in the restaurant was very good, The food prices are very reasonable, The service was great! ,My room was very clean every day, New Sheets daily,,I didn"t want to leave, I stayed there for 3 months ..The room were very Quiet, The staff was very friendly Great karaoke on weekends, The pool is very clean,Nice Sauna & hot tub, My grand kids had fun in the pool, Great place to get away...
"Friendly staff"
09/30/14 Mary R Cleveland, Ohio
I stayed there with my family. We enjoyed the 2 pools. Even though it's an older establishment and needs some updating the staff is helpful & friendly. We really appreciate good customer service & would stay again.
"Great Time :)"
09/23/14 suknats2014 Grand Rapids, Michigan
Stayed in a very nice room with a deck area outside of my room. It also had a walkway to the outdoor pool. Excellent karaoke in the lounge when I was there. Staff was professional and courteous. Next to the 131 interstate.
"Horrible Stay! THIS IS NOT A FAMILY HOTEL!!"
09/13/14 Mr_Frugal_10 Hanover Park, Illinois
This hotel is going through some changes. The owner is "apparently" trying to turn it around. It's the old Howard Johnson- and is VERY dated. So, let me start by saying that there isn't much around in the $79/ night range, and even still I feel there should be more value at that price. My initial greeting with reception ASSURED me that it was a good, clean place. Pool room upstairs had a broken, empty hot tub- With NO signs or anything blocking it off. Restaurant on-site was in business ate there too all for the convenience of it. Don't do it- the food was just as bad!!! Maybe, if the owner spent some time thinking about what travelers spend their money on, he'll eventually figure it out. The ENTIRE place is covered with signs saying not to touch this, or that, or do this / don't do that. It's pretty pathetic for an establishment of this caliber. Broken this, broken that- signs on the elevators saying "elevator won't stop at second floor" and various rooms with open doors all throughout the hallways??? I'm not too sure what kind of things people would expect out of here. So, how was it? well, since my in-room safe didn't work, I slept for 4 hours with my laptop under my pillow, took a shower and left at 4am. I would have rather stayed in my car at my customer's parking lot. -Lesson Learned!
"Trip to G.L"
05/24/14 Doug M Ironwood, Michigan
Very nice hotel.looks like allot of renovations are taking place to it. New carpet and paint. Staff was very helpful and friendly.
"Complaint"
05/24/14 Betty G Grand Rapids
This is my 3rd time staying at this location , which turned out to be the worst, for 2 days I found ants in the bathroom, also when I ask for an extended day which was approved,I came back to a room that had not been cleaned, dirty towels, trash cans had not been emptied, etc. when I complained to the front desk the only answer I got was that the clerk was new
"I had a good stay at the hotel"
05/05/14 Ayman A
I stayed with my family at the hotel, we got two rooms on the first floor. the hotel was clean and quiet. the staff was friendly. I was able to check in and out within 1 minute. so overall my stay was pleasant. I would definitely go there again. however, if I have extra money I would get a room at a fancy hotel.
"Fooled me once"
04/14/14 Sparky3713 Midland, Michigan
They have a lot of nerve charging $100 to stay at this place. We booked this hotel on line so we didn't know what it looked like. We were only in town 1 night to visit my son so we didn't need anything fancy but this hotel is totally worn out. They need to either invest some money into this place or drop their prices down to about half what they're charging. Howard Johnsons should be ashamed. We will never stay here again.