All hotels in Taos, New Mexico, United States of America
1005 Paseo Del Pueblo Sur, Taos, NM, 87571, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Don Fernando de Taos review"
I expect some effort when I am paying $87 per night. The condition of the room was far below what I expected, and hotel service was practically non-existent. This looked like a hotel that has had no money put into its infrastructure in a very long time. The employees seemed to have no incentive to care. I could not recommend this hotel to anyone going to Taos.
1 night family trip Oct 5, 2014
ben
"Was not a favorable experience."
The curtains in the room look like they have not been cleaned in years. They were tattered and torn. The tub in the bathroom needs a serious cleaning as it has scum on it. The wireless internet did not work for the two days I was there. Called front desk on first day and the said "I will have maintenance reset the router." Apparently they don't know how to resolve this issue. Housekeeping did not replenish the in-room coffee the second day. Only found one working soda machine and then found out the bill slot would not work. The continental breakfast was cold cereal or biscuits and gravy.
Other trip Oct 8, 2014
"Lovely indoor pool"
The hotel has a very nice layout, spacious rooms and public areas. Just needs to have the owner spend a few bucks dressing it up.
Other trip Oct 8, 2014
"Needs work"
Service in bar area poor. Rooms dated and not really clean.
1 night trip Oct 3, 2014
"disapointment"
Had stayed before and had a wonderful experience. This time around the room just didn't seem as clean the cieling had areas of water damage and wallpaper bulging. Breakfast consited of biscuts and gravy, toast, dry cerael where before it was a full breakfast.
2 night family trip Oct 3, 2014
"Disgusting - do not stay here!"
Do not stay at this hotel - it is disgusting! Filthy! The receptionist could not even be bothered to get out of her chair to greet me or make eye contact. Her trainee was helping another customer, but she didn't bother to help me - I had to wait. The first room I was given was so dirty - dirty sink, toilet, table and the lampshades were thick with dust. When I asked for a different room, the trainee gave me another - when I went to that one, it had not even been cleaned since the last person! I saw him check the list to see if it was marked as clean, so doubt it was his fault. I asked for the Manager, but he was unable to get her to come to reception to help me. He offered me another room, and to go with me to see it was OK. It was better, but not a lot - I had him remove the lampshades which were equally filthy. If my 89 year old father had not gone to lie down in his room, tired after our day long journey, I would have walked out. His room was not a lot better. The smoke alarm in my father's room started beeping at 6am - good job it wasn't earlier. We dreaded breakfast the next morning and our fears were justified: no adult cereal, cold water to make hot tea, stale bread for toast, no napkins, no trash bin,rotting fruit, dirty cups, and the only girl working the area did not have enough English to respond to guests requests. I ventured into the kitchen looking for help - and the whole area was disgusting. We left.
Other trip Oct 1, 2014
JM
"Taos getaway"
great room and had a nice afternoon swimming. It has the best pool ever!
Other trip Sep 28, 2014
Jan
This is a neat motel! The grounds are very pretty, nice room, comfortable bed and the ac wasn't extremely noisy! Best sleep we had this trip! Breakfast wasn't the best but better than others this trip. Would stay again
1 night trip Sep 13, 2014
I stayed in a room in the detached, seperate wing of the hotel. So i cannot speak to the condition of the rooms in the main building. This room (117) was dated and furniture was worn out. Sheets were old and worn out. Staff was friendly and helpful.
1 night business trip Sep 11, 2014
"Clean and Affordable"
The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is not luxurious, but the price is right. And it was clean, if a little worn around the edges. It's within easy driving distance to downtown Taos. If you're going to be out and about all day and only sleeping in the hotel, this is a good choice. The free wifi was nonexistent in our room, and lets just say that you get what you pay for with the free breakfast. I would stay again, but I'd go out for breakfast and plan on tethering to my phone for wifi.
2 night family trip Aug 31, 2014
We have stayed her before and been satisfied with the service and cleanliness. During this visit we had no maid service. Our room was not attended to for two days. We were also disappointed in the "hot" breakfast as there were no eggs or breakfast meat, just oatmeal, or biscuits and gravy. We did enjoy very much the guitar concert which was provided on Saturday night. The location is very convenient and the surroundings are beautiful! There seems to have been a change in management for the worse.
3 night trip Aug 29, 2014
"Value hotel"
Have stayed here before so we knew what to expect. The rooms could use some freshening up. Wallpaper is peeling in places. The only major disappointment was even though there is advertised wifi, and it was showing up, we were unable to connect. Front desk said we were out-of-range. Therefore they shouldn't advertise it or get it upgraded. In this day of age, wifi is extremely important.
2 night romance trip Aug 29, 2014
"OK, just old."
Fine old hotel. It has been kept up over the years but you can tell that this is an original main street property for TAOS. Clean, no bugs and some new stuff like bed spreads and TV. Well worth the stay.
2 night trip Aug 29, 2014
I was travelling with my wife. The breakfast offered was poor at best. Also, without a liquor license we were forced to go to other hotels, bars or other places for entertainment. The TV's are old and need to be replaced with flat screen models.
Other trip Aug 29, 2014
Room was quiet. Facility needs updating. Towels need to be bleached.
Other trip Aug 25, 2014
The room had a broken window, the wall paper had water damage and was falling from the wall, and the couch in the room had a large cut on the top and the stuffing was coming out. We requested another room and the door card would not open it . . . so we cancelled our reservation and came home.
1 night romance trip Aug 9, 2014
D
"Needs a lot of work"
First room stunk like an ash tray, second room had dirty walls, wall paper pealing off, no microwave or refrigerator as described. Lights throughout the complex were burned out, good thing I had a flashlight.
1 night trip Jul 29, 2014
Rick M
Overall it was a good, quite nice stay. Very relaxing.
1 night family trip Aug 2, 2014
"TERRIBLE"
Nothing about this hotel is good. I can't say even one positive thing. The rooms were filthy, the food was awful, the pool unusable, the grounds a mess, the restaurant disgusting. We couldn't even walk on the carpet in the room, we wore clothing to bed and slept on our own stuff. We stayed one night because we went for our friends' wedding and that's where they booked, so we stayed too for their convenience with helping their kids, but OMG what a huge mistake. I have pictures of how dirty the place was....it was disgusting. Seriously gross. The workers...none of them looked like workers. I had no idea who worked there and didn't. One of the "housekeepers" was rolling her kids around in the trash bin like it was a stroller or a rollercoaster. Even the dishes in the restaurant weren't clean....I have pictures. I am highly disappointed that this place had as many stars as it did. It needs to be shut down or bought out and completely revamped. GROSS is the only word I can think of.
1 night trip Jul 31, 2014
Cassandra Kramer
"Needs "face lift""
The hotel speaks of being in need of renovation. Everything looks very used. The pool was green. Had to change rooms due to smoke smell. The breakfast was sparse. Double rooms only offered double beds-no queens. Would not stay there again.
Other trip Aug 5, 2014
"Old, ratty conditions made for disappointment."
The wallpaper is peeling off the walls, there was a large rip in the couch of our "suite" and there was a bullet hole in the window that had simply been taped up. Overall this is not worth the price they are charging and needs to be updated before we would ever consider staying here again.
Demi
"Book somewhere else"
The room was dirty. There was trash under the bed. The couch was dirty and stained.
1 night trip Aug 1, 2014
Art
"Not bad for a one night stay"
No frig or microwave in room :( Killed two spiders in my bathtub :( The price of the room was OK and the restaurant food was good..
1 night trip Jul 29, 2014
Lorrie
We really enjoyed our stay at this facility. The room was great, the service was excellent, and we had a great time.
1 night trip Jul 12, 2014
"Not recommended"
Good location and Staff were lovely but that can't hide the fact that the place is falling backwards fast. First room was smelly with no air conditioning so refused it; second was clean and comfortable, albeit with cracked and dirty windows. Breakfast was scrambled egg, cereal, toast but on second morning, no hot food available. It is such a shame because the place has great possibilities but lack of investment is ruining it. I have stayed here before over the last two years and the place is simply going downhill fast. Such a shame......they lost another customer.
1 night trip Jul 21, 2014
Kt
"OK for the price"
The room was OK - no complaints there. My problem was the front desk. There was a mixup with our reservation, and they did not seem to care at all. They wouldn't even walk 10 feet to confirm my reservation I had up on my email. I called Hotels.com and they straightened everything out - they even got us an upgraded room. If it wasn't for them, we would have been out of luck. We went to the lobby for the "included breakfast" and the only thing they had was toast and cold cereal.
2 night trip Jul 11, 2014
"Decent Hotel for $$"
Experience was ok for the $$. Nothing was really bad, but I did expect a little bit more.....it's obviously a very old faciltiy and needs lots of attention, the grounds as well as the room. Overall, it was not a bad experience, I just expected it to be a bit more appeasing top the eye and not look so run down.
Other trip Jul 14, 2014
Vernon
"Adios, Don Fernando"
This was our fourth time staying here. Despite site improvements and renovations--hot tub, bar area--there seems to be a decline in service and general upkeep. The concrete stairs to the second floor are cracking. Our air con was extremely noisy. Trash in the foyer was not picked up In the three days we stayed there. The complimentary breakfast, which we were told ran till ten, was out of eggs and pancakes by nine and requests to refill them were ignored, leaving only cereal and stale bread. On the plus side, the landscaping was well maintained, the decor is authentically southwestern, and the staff was generally courteous , but their absence was felt when they were needed, especially in the dining area. On our next trip to Taos, we will be staying somewhere else.
3 night family trip Jul 7, 2014
Jojo
"Not Recommended"
Everybody got sick during our star at the hotel.
1 night family trip Jul 4, 2014
Hotel needs upgrading, newer furniture. Information about restaurant and lounge misleading - restaurant was not open for dinner our first night, and lounge had no bartender. Grounds are nice, and room was clean but rather drab. Had no clock.
Other trip Jul 6, 2014
"Very Friendly"
The staff was extremely friendly and the hotel is very nice. Our room was clean but a little run down, still very comfortable. I think it may have just been an old room. I lived in Taos my whole life and the don fernando has always been there so they are bound to have some older rooms. The property is well kept, the bed are very comfy, and the hotel has a good central town location.
1 night trip Jun 20, 2014
"Disappointing"
Expedia needs to update their site for this hotel. There are NO smoking rooms available. The bar was not open during the hours as advertised. The restaurant was not open during the hours as advertised. The handle on the toilet in our room continually fell off. Had to take the lid off the tank to get it back on the lever. The water would continually run unless one jiggled the handle. The hotel staff did not know when the bar would be open. The person in charge of the bar left with the keys to the cabinets to go to Sante Fe. When we went to go eat dinner at the restaurant, the staff said it was closed but the bar was now open... The breakfast was very disappointing. The pancakes available were dry and rubbery. Plates were not available, had to ask for them. Plastic wear was not available, had to ask for them. Butter and syrup not available, had to ask for those. Don't plan on being able to check in any sooner than 3:00. Not even 30 min.'s. NOT worth the money!
Other trip Jun 21, 2014
"No Breakfast"
The hotel was a good place to stay, except for the "complementary" breakfast. Quiet, comfy, clean, but they need to upgrade the TV's and stop advertising the breakfast if they aren't going to have it.
2 night trip Jun 10, 2014
"Good enough."
This motel served our purpose of an affordable place to stay while we explored the plaza area. No complaints.
1 night business trip Jun 10, 2014
"Poor service and condition"
Our room was FAR from the only ice machine. Bath tub was grubby, hair dryer didn't work, no microwave or frig. Room daily clean up and supply was poor. Staff at the desk were poorly dressed and curt. Breakfast was cold and poor quality.
Other trip May 25, 2014
"Best stay on our 2 week motorcycle trip"
The hotel is very clean and modern. The breakfast was good and the staff was excellent. The new owner engaged in conversation and she was a delight to talk with. The cleaning staff went out of their way to accomodate us. The bathroom was spacious and very clean. All conviences worked....ie: heater, tv, plumbing, etc. The beds were comfortable, the curtains and blinds were in excellent condition and there was a fresh smell throughout the hotel and rooms. We stayed in seven hotels during our motorcycle ride through NM and this was the top of our stays. I am making it a point to return to Don Fernando again.
1 night trip with friends May 1, 2014
Tres Harmonos on Motorcycles
"Great atmosphere But...."
The service was great, good rate, nice pool area, casita style rooms made the stay very pleasant but those were the worst, most uncomfortable beds. In desperate need of an upgrade to the comfortable beds
1 night trip May 3, 2014
Roberta
"Beautiful hotel with a disappointing bed"
The hotel itself is quite beautiful, southwestern tile, clean and inviting. I was disappointed in the room however. The king sized bed was old and hard, the pillows flat, the sheets cheap. Bathroom was forgettable. Street noise was loud, had to run the air conditioner all night in order to mask the noisy street.
Other trip Apr 20, 2014
Ces
"Comfortable and quiet"
Very enjoyable, very courteous staff, convenient location.......
2 night trip Apr 6, 2014
Judith
"Good for a low budget hotel"
You get what you expect for the price. The room was clean and didn't smell. TV worked well. The heater worked but only blew hot or cold. The toiletries were nice and bonus for being organic. Worst part was how hard the mattress was. I have a bad back and hardly slept. Had a lot of back pain/stiffness in the morning. Breakfast was minimalist but tasted good.
Other trip Apr 7, 2014
"Needs remodeling"
The room I was in had wallpaper that was bubbling up and coming off. also the bathroom floor grout was gross. the bathroom counter was clearly put in by/for short people. I am 5'10 and it came to my thigh. The bathtub was skinny lucky for them I am too. If I had been over 150lb's showering or bathing would haven been difficult. The room I was in obviously was a smoking room before. Of course if you don't change the filters to the heating/air unit that could make the room remain stinky like smoke. My biggest complaint is that the room did not have a microwave. SO I had to go to the lobby and then I had to ask the staff for help. which by the way really did not want to let me use their staff microwave but finally did. I was not real impressed by the hotel for the price I thought it would be more updated and rooms in better condition. I might stay here again but not unless its a last resort.
leasha
"I got a good price for very last minute"
We booked 1 week before spring break so I was surprised we got the rooms (2) in the first place. It was supposed to be 2 non smoking rooms, but 1 was definitely smoking. The hotel was booked full and they ran out of towels, but the staff bought more and brought brand new ones to us late in the evening. The heater worked well but didn't reach the bathroom which was ice cold. Staff was very friendly, but visibly stressed over the occupancy. If I had seen the hotel in person we probably wouldn't have stayed there. Probably won't go back, but for the last minute price we got, it was fine.
amanda
"Best "Cheap Hotel" ever!"
We ( 3 adults, 2 4 years olds) stayed here for a Spring Break ski trip. I had called the hotel to inquire about some of the older reviews that indicated poor upkeep, and was assured that those issues had been taken care of. My expectations were very low, but we just needed an inexpensive, central place to sleep. Boy was I surprised! The hotel had more of a bed and breakfast feel, primarily because of the hospitality of the entire hotel staff, from the manager to the cleaning staff. Without exception, everyone we saw smiled and spoke to us. Our room was very comfortable, and spotless. Great beds, and a super- hot power-shower. Breakfast was hot and tasty (great coffee!), and varied from morning to morning. With everyone trying to get to slopes early, the breakfast room was usually full, but they never let the amount of food run low, nor did you have to wait for anything (important when getting two 4 year olds fed and out the door).The indoor pool and hot tub were clean and well maintained. The thing that surprised and pleased me the most was how quickly management took care of an issue we had with a group of spring break partiers beneath us. After our first call someone from management was there in just a few minutes. The second night when the late night door slamming started, someone from management was there within minutes to relocate these people, allowing us a peaceful night sleep. I would recommend Don Fernando to anyone staying in Taos.
Biogal
"OK"
WHEN ARE HOTELS THAT ARE HIGH END GOING TO UPDATE THEIR 1995 TELEVISIONS. THE TOILET WAS A LITTLE DIRTY, BUT OVERALL WAS A GOOD STAY.
1 night trip Mar 8, 2014
AARON
"Convenient location"
No problems, room was a little cold but heater worked fairly fast. Staff was very nice.
Other trip Feb 10, 2014
"friendly place"
We there in the winter and it was cold. The door to our room did not close tightly. There is extensive renovation going on which may take care of this. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.The manager even asked us if there was anything he could do for us.
2 night trip Feb 4, 2014
"Great experience"
Drove all night from Texas and showed up way earlier than expected. The manager Josh greeted me with a smile and checked me into a room early at no extra charge. I was grateful for that since most places charge an extra 30 at least. After speaking with the new owner and Josh about why we came to Taos, they told us they would love for us to have access to the suite as well as our room! The room with two queens was huge! Plenty of room for snow gear and laggague for 4 people comfortably. The suite had a king and a fire place in a living area that made for a good meeting spot for everyone. Both rooms had little 'fridges that worked well for leftovers and a couple drinks. Would definitely stay here again, and with a larger group. We only had 3 and we were really spread out. It also had an excellent location too. Since its on the main drag it was easy to get to town or to any of the near by ski resorts. And Walmart is right across the street if you should happen to forget any supplies. Loved it here. Made me feel at home
Other trip Feb 5, 2014
"Slipping"
We have stayed at the Don Fernando multiple times in the past with good experiences. When we arrived the front desk attendant was nice. However, when we got to our rooms there was no coffee pot, fridge or microwave. Also there was dust on the counters. We went to the front desk and were advised that a maintenance worker would bring a coffee pot in a few hours. However they never came, so we asked again and the person who delivered seemed like he was upset to be bothered by us. He did not leave any coffee filters so we had to buy our own, luckily we brought our own coffee. The bed was not very comfortable and the area around the room was run down and dirty. The lobby used to have coffee and a buffet for breakfast but now you are given 4 choices which did not sound appetizing (a cheese omelet …add 3$ for bacon…come on really?) Overall it seems the quality has slipped. We travel to Taos 3-4 times a year and will most likely find a new place to stay on our next trip.
1 night business trip Feb 1, 2014
Fitch Family
"Ok hotel to stay in"
The room was nice and roomy. The bathroom was disgustingly filthy. I chose this hotel because it is pet friendly but I didn't have to take my pet rabbit after all. I am glad I didn't because the floors and the carpets were very filthy. I had to scrub my grandson's feet so much after he insisted on having his socks off. The mattresses and pillows were very old. We made the best of it considering we stayed one night. Being with family and staying up late laughing will be our memory of this hotel.
Other trip Jan 29, 2014
Angela
"Priced Right"
This is the second year we stayed at this hotel. The staff is great. Glad to have a hot tub this year. We feel for the price it is a good choice, but was disappointed in the buffet breakfast. The items were cold and selection was less than when we stayed last year.
3 night trip Jan 18, 2014