All hotels in New York, New York, United States of America
160 Central Park S, New York, NY, 10019, United States of America, ‏‎855-239-9485

4.8
"Very nice"
Great location Very nice room, very comfortable Park view Terrific staff Will return
reifer
"Will definitely stay again!"
Recently returned from a brief stay at tje Essex House. I took my two young children, age 5 and 8, and will definitely return. The room was clean and well-maintained. I am quite particular about cleanliness and quality and Essex House far exceeded my expectations. The size of the room was sufficient, even large by New York standards. The Essex House is situated directly across the street from Central Park, a short walk from subway access, restaurants to get a quick bite to eat, and, most importantly, two blocks away from FAO Schwartz. I took the kids to the Museum of Natural History which was only two subway stops away. I felt very safe and secure with my kids...something I was nervous about since my husband was unable to come. The neighborhood is just extraordinary! The concierge was extremely helpful. I wanted the kids to get the full experience so we used the subway for everything and the concierge never steered us wrong! Only complaint would be the cost of parking. Parking is $70 per day for an SUV, a bit high. But it is New York!
1 night family trip Nov 7, 2014
Darcy
"Beautiful hotel in convenient location"
Beautiful old but fully updated hotel. Efficient service. Room is small (but not by NYC standards) and very clean. The only issue is that the HVAC system randomly banged at night very loudly and very suddenly. Not a steady hum, but an occasional slamming noise loud enough to jar a person awake.
1 night business trip Nov 3, 2014
I had a junior suite and they upgraded it to a full suite even though I didn't ask for it. Awesome location, service and restaurant.
Other trip Nov 4, 2014
"Our Favorite Hotel in NYC"
A truly wonderful hotel experience. My wife and I have loved this hotel for many years, and for good reason - it's excellent. From the doorman, to front desk crew to the housekeeping staff - everything was wonderful. The bar is gorgeous and Peter, the bartender, and Marcella, the server, are two of the nicest, sweetest people we've ever met. In fact, we'd go back again just to see them. great people, and true professionals. We'd gone to the city for some broadways shows - and the hotel is only about 15 short blocks from the theater district. And, it's directly across from Central Park. And though our room did not have a view, it was nice to be able to sit in the bar and have a glass of wine and watch the city pass by the floor to ceiling windows over looking the street and the park. Two minor things: The mattress in our standard room was a nice pillow-top - but a bit thing, so after laying in it for an hour or so, pressure points became a bit painful, and I had trouble sleeping. BUT - the housekeeping staff brought up not one but two additional pillow-toppers - and we slept beautifully the rest of our stay. Also, though the restaurant is gorgeous - but the menu is very small, and tends more towards pasta and pub food rather than fine dining you might expect in a hotel of this caliber. But no bother really. The restaurant is more casual, after work kind of dining. Everything else - superb. Keep up the good work.
Other trip Oct 27, 2014
TJ
"Weekend in NYC!"
Oct '14 Went on a weekend trip for my lady's birthday. Location was prime and the hotel is very nice, staying true to it's classical stylings. Mentioned it was her birthday at check-in and they had a cake and bottle of champagne waiting for us in the room when we checked in! Gave us a key to shower and change at the spa before our room was ready since we took the red-eye and they stored our bags on the last day while we walked around the city since we flew out late. All in all, you get what you pay for!
2 night romance trip Oct 17, 2014
"Excellent location"
We always enjoy our stay here. Hotel staff is very good.
Other trip Oct 18, 2014
"Nice hotel and good location"
Our overall experience was a good one. The hotel has a good location. Close to Central park and also Time Square. The staff was helpful and always polite.
Other trip Oct 8, 2014
Tina
"Manhattan Standard"
The hotel delivers what you should expect for a "name" hotel brand in Manhattan in terms of amenities. The location is excellent - just across the street from Central Park - and staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is an historic building which is pretty cool but it means the rooms are cramped with small bathrooms, closets, etc. It wasn't easy for two people to move around the room at the same time. They have a good sized gym with clean, quality although not top end equipment.
Other trip Oct 6, 2014
"We paid for a view -- No View"
The location of the hotel was great and the staff quite pleasant. However, the BIG disappointement was that we specifically specified rooms with a park view when making the reservation and on check-in my wife was merely told that it wasn't happening. For that reason would not stay there on subsequent visits. They actually said that Hotels.com guests get the cheaper rooms.
4 night trip Sep 12, 2014
Arthur
"Great hotel location"
Great hotel in a very central location within walking distance of many tourist attractions including Radio City, NBC, Columbus Circle and Time Square.
Other trip Sep 15, 2014
Mabelle
"Excellent. Hotel best location!!!"
We were very happy and comfy. Grate service! Professional friendly service in front of Central Park! Good food. Very clean too!!! We love it!!!
1 night trip Sep 9, 2014
M. R.
"Trip to the Met"
Friendly and helpful staff, great place to stay in the city
1 night family trip Aug 21, 2014
The location of this hotel was perfect for our family. Having Central Park across the street was ideal with small children. The staff and service was wonderful. The suite size was great, but the carpet was old and dirty. It had been vacuumed, just not clean. It grossed me out to let my 11 month old crawl around.
2 night family trip Aug 13, 2014
Mom
"new york vacation"
i was disappointed that patrick, the manager, had moved on. he kept everything in perfect order. the room greatly was in need of carpet cleaning, the towels, hard and rough, no robes………i could go on……..you get the picture.
2 night trip Aug 8, 2014
flowerchild
"Nice location"
Does not have pay movies, very bad qualitybof ford in room service, personal at front desk not nice, not return ever
Other trip Aug 9, 2014
"The location is great, but the shower never worked"
The hotel is very nice and well located, but we stayed in a suite for 6 nights and every day we had problems with the shower (no hot water). They sent twise a man to repair but the next shower was cold.
Other trip Aug 8, 2014
cesar
In room dining awful. Hotel restaurant no better:(((👎👎👎
Other trip Aug 2, 2014
experienced
Worn room and very loud - elevator and old pipes
3 night business trip Jul 23, 2014
"Wonderful old timer."
Very nice old timer in excellent condition. My room was nice, clean and big.
Other trip Jul 27, 2014
Marcel
"excellent facilities and staff, perfect location"
The trip and Broadway show were a present for my daughter's 21st birthday, her first trip to NYC. The hotel is less than 2 blocks from Columbus Circle and the subway. We checked in late Friday evening. Saturday morning we day did a walking tour of the south 1/3 of Central Park, then changed clothes and took the subway to Broadway for an afternoon matinee performance of Beautiful, the Carol King tribute musical (wow!). After the show we walked through Times Square to dinner on 57th and back to the hotel after dinner. Sunday morning we took the subway at Columbus circle to and from 34th for an Empire State Building tour, checked out of our rooms at 12:00, left our luggage at the Bell Desk, followed by a four hour bicycle rental at Columbus Circle for an afternoon ride throughout all of Central Park (fantastic weather both days). Breakfast both days at the hotel restaurant was excellent. Even though we checked out Sunday noon, the hotel provided us keys after our bike ride to the fitness center that has his and hers locker rooms with bathrooms so we could "freshen up" (change clothes) after our ride prior to our dinner engagement with relatives. Our 6:00AM flight home Monday from LGA had us relocate Sunday evening to a hotel at LGA (also near our relatives with whom we had dinner Sunday evening).
Other trip Jul 22, 2014
"Good Hotel - Ideal location"
Great hotel-Fantastic location Thing wrong are only minor. Near Perfection.
Other trip Jul 21, 2014
"quick overnight in NYC"
Great location - near 5th Avenue and Lincoln Center. Friendly staff, comfortable room.
Other trip Jul 21, 2014
Katy
"Beautiful historic hotel, updated"
We splurged and booked a park view room and weren't disappointed. Our room was spacious, the view was classic and the furnishings a nice mix of classic and modern. The only thing we didn't like: the light switches are way too complicated and not at all intuitive.
Other trip Jul 17, 2014
Ali
"Unbelievably disappointing."
We made a reservation weeks in advance and were excited to stay at the JW Marriott.We had reserved a suite. We got to the hotel at 6:00pm and our room was not ready. Check in was suppose to be 3:00pm. Front desk was very confused and stalled for about 20 minutes They then said they could give us 2 rooms but not even on the same floor because our room was "dirty". We were then told that they would call us when our room was ready. Never heard from them. At 10:00pm we went back to the hotel (where they were holding our luggage in the lobby where anyone could have walked up and taken it) and the front desk could not find us in the computer! This was one of the same people we had dealt with earlier! After another 15-20 mins, and a few other phone calls. We were found and given a room. Horrible room, noisy street construction all night and trucks pulling in and out all night. Room was in below average condition. No robes, no blankets. Did not feel clean, bathroom floor sticky. Took a wash cloth and wiped the floor and it was horribly dirty. Hall had candy laying on the floor for 3 days, did not look like it had been vacuumed in a month. On our last day a maid was using the phone by the elevators on our floor saying"-4th floor is good, nothing to do here" she repeated it twice. If you can get past the condition be prepared to spend time checking every charge. We were charged for Mini bar items that we never used. Meals are expensive small breakfast for 2- $100.00.
Other trip Jul 15, 2014
C
"Expecting more with a 4.3 star rating."
We visit NYC 1-2 times a year. We always stay around the park area. My husband has always wanted to try the Essex house so this is where I booked. With the 4 star rating I was sure it would be a nice hotel. I'm sure JW Marriott would not be happy with the looks of the rooms. Wallpaper coming off, carpets dirty, just not what I was hoping for in a room. On a good note, the employees were nothing but NICE!!!!! I don't like to give negative reviews but the hotel needs a little face lift.
Other trip Jul 9, 2014
Nickki
I thought this was a great place to stay. If you have never been to NY and want to have the best view of the park and see the sights, then this is the place.
2 night trip Jun 13, 2014
Traveler
Stayed in a Standard room - but it was certainly not 'standard'. Quality furnishings throughout. I would definitely try for the "Central Park View" next time. Unless you plan on being in the room too long, though, it shouldn't be a deal-breaker. Great service, wonderful concierge, up-scale experience.
Other trip Jun 19, 2014
Great loved it.
2 night trip Jun 6, 2014
"A few minor things left us with an 'Average' grade"
Great Location! The lobby and outward appearance were really great. When we got to our room, though, we thought it was not worthy of the price and reputation. In particular, the bathroom was very dated and in fair condition. The caulk and sealant was chipped away and falling apart. In general, it needs a renovation.
1 night romance trip Jun 6, 2014
"Stroll in the Park"
The hotel was located right across the street from Central Park. We had an event to go to at Carnagie Hall and it was two blocks away from our hotel. The ambience of this place was perfect for the romantic weekend I had planned for my wife and I. There was also a bar inside the hotel with a fireplace and a great wine selection. The room was small for the price but from what I understand thats just how it goes in Manhattan. The staff was amazing and helped us out with anything we needed. I will definitely go to this place again but I might spare a few more bucks for a bigger room.
3 night romance trip May 22, 2014
Luis
excellent - only issue was the staff knocking on our door prior to ten am to start service.
2 night trip May 23, 2014
"Great location on Park"
Great location. Nice rooms.
7 night trip May 11, 2014
J. Steinman
Twe stayed here two years ago but it was since bought by JW Mariott -some if the rooms are a bit run down. Very clean, but run down. It could stand to have new carpet in hallways and rooms. Other than that-great location snd good service
2 night trip May 9, 2014
Brenda
"Broken TV"
I have had this problem before at this Marriott. The TV doesn't work. They did send a AV repairman, but he couldn't fix it either. But the manager credited me a $ 100.00 off my bill due to the inconvenience. At the end of my stay ( 3 days) the TV appeared to be working
2 night trip Apr 25, 2014
"Almost Perfect"
Everything was beautiful except our room was missing wash cloths and Kleenexes. For the price, I think the Essex House could provide those. :)
1 night trip Apr 26, 2014
room service was way over the top in terms of price and taxes are almost $100 per night
1 night trip Apr 23, 2014
"Excellent place to stay"
Great place to stay and is across the street from Central Park. Highly reccomended if you're looking for a nice place in NY.
Other trip Apr 28, 2014
5A
"Wanted to love it but..."
When "designers" make-over a hotel, here's a few things to think about: Ice makers? Easy place to get coffee? Light switches...what's with the super-space age 7 light swtiches per room? Took me 30 minutes to get all the lights out. Bathrooms whose doors can open fully and not bang into a bath tub? I travel for business and these are simple things that make the difference. I really don't want to have to call for ice, or get up and get dressed to haul down to a restaurant to get a cup if coffee "to go"...that takes 15 minutes. JW you missed the mark on this one. Your manager needs to stay in one of these hotel rooms for 3 days then let me know what you think...
2 night trip Apr 23, 2014
"Beautiful hotel in a superb neighborhood"
We had a wonderful stay at the Essex House. The staff were extraordinarily helpful; the room was spotless; the view across to Central Park was breathtaking. We stayed during a winter snowstorm, so the only negative was the exorbitant in house cost of a cup of coffee, when it was highly inconvenient just to run out to get some. I would love to stay at this hotel again.
1 night family trip Jan 3, 2014
"First trip"
It was my first trip to New York and Essex House was a great hotel. Great location at the south end of the park and the staff was extremely helpful. No complaints here.
2 night trip Apr 12, 2014
Rob
"Wonderful stay"
We stayed there for two nights while we were in Cusco. Every staff were so nice since we arrived at the hotel until we left, The only regret was that we don't have time to enjoy the amenities inside the hotel since there are so things to see in Cusco. Highly recommend.
1 night trip Apr 10, 2014
Paul Kang
"my home away from home"
RETURNING
3 night trip Mar 28, 2014
bas
"Beautiful place , central to everythng."
My trip was just an overnight to meet with friends. The Essex was simple to get to from Penn Station. We were fortunate to have the first decent weather in months, and so we walked across the street and through Central Park to get to the Upper West Side for our restaurant. Our evening was at Lincoln Center, again,just a short walk away from the Essex. and getting back to Penn Station was easy as well. In the hotel, my only chagrin was to find no robes ( I had packed expecting there would be one.), and no ice machine. but the front desk was ever-so-obliging to bring me ice at 2 AM. I thought that was very decent of them. although, the fellow who brought it did not look too happy. My check-in experience was terrific. It was a Saturday, but I had no difficulty when I suggested they place both of my friends on the same floor with me.. We had cocktails in the bar, again prompt and courteous. I had a lovely stay!
Response by JW Marriott Essex House New York
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the JW Marriott Essex House very soon!
Other trip Apr 1, 2014
SMV
"Nice Hotel perfect to be in NY"
I traveled with my family, 3 kids do the location of this Hotel is Fantastic, in front of the Central Park, close to the subways, and very easy to walk to the Science Museum and Metropolitan. My kids love, because the can walk and enjoy Central Park. The staff are so nice. When I come back definitive I am going to choose this hotel.
Other trip Mar 29, 2014
C.G
"Good value for the price"
I was overall very happy with my stay. The rooms were very nicely done, with touches such as duvet covers and a make-up mirror in the bathroom. I was pleasantly surprised by how quiet the room was- not a sound from adjacent rooms or the hallway. I upgraded to a room with a view of Central Park, only to find out it's a trade-off- the views are great, but you do get all the street noise, particularly the sound of horse hooves all day. Still charming, though. Two lights were out in the bathroom, and the hotel lacked a coffee service, either in the lobby or coffee machines in the room. The quality of the room furnishings was nice and updated, and the lobby is grand. Overall, good value for the location and comfort.
Response by JW Marriott Essex House New York
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are so glad you enjoyed the view of Central Park from your guest room, and would like to apologize for the lights being out and for the coffee. We do offer complimentary coffee in our restaurant in the morning, we do apologize we did not let you know this. We hope you will stay with us again soon.
2 night trip Mar 21, 2014
Victoria
"Excellent Hotel"
I love Marriott hotels and JW Marriott in NY was wonderful. The location is great. Walking distance to many stores and restaurants. I would definitely stay there again.
1 night trip Mar 22, 2014
It was a very good experience all around. The rooms were comfortable and quiet. We will return.
5 night trip Mar 14, 2014
Jackie
Great location, comfortable beds, quality staff!
4 night business trip Mar 13, 2014
Sue
"perfect location for any activities"
Great staff. Beautiful hotel. Comfortable rooms and amenities. Loved it.
1 night trip Mar 15, 2014